• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heysoos

So I just got to
Anor Londo
, and boy what a difference in scenery. Going from dark, cloudy and destroyed scenery to this, really was just an awesome sight.

shiroryu

Rollercoaster as usual. Gargoyles kept screwing me over - pure sorcerer is difficult to do when the gargoyle's pounding away and flying regularly, making my soul arrows miss. And of course, when his friend shows up, it's me getting toasted. Finally gave up on soloing and summoned Lautrec and Solaire - haha, let's see you now, bitches.

They did quite well, with me blasting Soul Arrows over and over, and then at the very end - maybe I ran out of stamina, wasn't looking - gargoyle fire hits me on the periphery and I'm dead. FUUUUUUUUU.

Was frustrated because that was my last humanity, so I decide to make one last solo run for the night - go up there and whoa - they're gone! Sunbro and Yurt 2.0 killed them in the dying seconds or something, and so I shamefacedly ring first bell. Wasn't the epic ending I was expecting, but whatever. Decided to help out people on the fight, plonked my sign, and was summoned in 5 minutes with another phantom. Very first summon, so was nervous.

This went very well, as the host and phantom were both melee, so I could keep my range and roast the bosses with Heavy Soul Arrow. The phantom died at the very end, but the host and me had a near-flawless victory. So satisfying to hear the bell ring two minutes later.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I need some help! I'm stuck.
I attacked that serpent earlier in the game because it had ugly teeth and now it's gone. I met Gwynevere and shot her in the boobs, which made Gwyndolin mad and Anor Londo is now dark. I went down to her tomb and made her face meet my axe, but I'm totally dumbfounded as to what to do next. I've defeated every boss I've found except Ceaseless Discharge who still owns me (I can't find any phantom marks to make it easier). I've found two brilliant light walls that are sealed by "the lords power". I have the vessel of the lord and it says I have to fill it with powerfull souls at the firelink shrine, but I don't know how to do that.
Please, tell me where should I go next, being as less spoilerific as possible. Maybe I missed a path to an area that is vital to advancement or something. Thanks!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
CryingWolf said:
Cool, thanks. I can totally see how buying a little extra time could make a huge difference in that fight.

It might be worth noting that she can sometimes fail to survive the jump. When you enter the fog door with the spiral staircase and the jump-off into the Abyss there's sometimes a ghost chilling near the ceiling. If it's there then Beatrice will see it and start firing ineffective Soul Arrows at it. The ghost won't do anything because the enemy aggro ends once you're through the boss door, but if Beatrice is attacking it, or if she's too far away when you jump you'll get the notification that she died as soon as you hit the bottom, which kinda sucks. If she's firing Soul Arrows after passing through the fog door then look upwards and kill the ghost. Beatrice can't do it herself because she's not cursed. Once Beatrice is perfectly calm and just standing around looking at you, then jump.

Just to be safe I usually walk down the stairway to the very last landing, then wait for Beatrice to catch up and stand on the landing with me before hopping off. She's survived the jump every time I've done that.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Air Zombie Meat said:
Drop down the hole where the serpent was.
Goddamn, I thought of that countless times but I remember falling when the serpent was still there and dying?? haha, fuck, here I go...
Thanks!

DKnight said:
Goddamn, I thought of that countless times but I remember falling when the serpent was still there and dying?? haha, fuck, here I go...
Thanks!

No problem! You probably died earlier because you hadn't got the lordvessel yet.

I Push Fat Kids said:
What does Poise do exactly?

The higher your poise is the bigger hits you'll be able to take without being stunned or having your attacks\casts interrupted.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Finally got the Platinum just now. After four and a half playthroughs I think I might finally be ready to take a break from Dark Souls.

scy

DKnight said:
I need some help! I'm stuck.
I attacked that serpent earlier in the game because it had ugly teeth and now it's gone. I met Gwynevere and shot her in the boobs, which made Gwyndolin mad and Anor Londo is now dark. I went down to her tomb and made her face meet my axe, but I'm totally dumbfounded as to what to do next. I've defeated every boss I've found except Ceaseless Discharge who still owns me (I can't find any phantom marks to make it easier). I've found two brilliant light walls that are sealed by "the lords power". I have the vessel of the lord and it says I have to fill it with powerfull souls at the firelink shrine, but I don't know how to do that.
Please, tell me where should I go next, being as less spoilerific as possible. Maybe I missed a path to an area that is vital to advancement or something. Thanks!

As far as
Ceaseless Discharge is concerned, you can force him into a unique death by running to where the armor set was, wait for him to get there, and then lure him back to the fog gate. He'll leap at you and you attack his arm until he falls to his death. To actually fight him, you can go to the little L-shaped alcove and he'll just arm smash there. Dodge it, may take some practice to get the timing down, and then attack his outstretched arm. Repeat until he dies. However, you can't proceed too far after him without placing the Lordvessel and removing the bright wall barriers

purg3

slept with Malkin
had a pretty epic pvp battle earlier, got invaded while farming in Kiln. Of course dude was using that crystal weapon glitch, and HSM. It was pretty back and forth, I got him with a chaos fireball and some combustions, but he was still going. I missed timed a dodge on one of his HSM and it took me down to what had to been about less than 100 hp. He backed up and charged for another and I perfectly timed my last great fireball. That was the first time I actually got invaded by another player, since I usually stay hollow. Was an awesome battle, now back to farming chunks lol.

Alucrid

Banned
So what can I do in Blighttown? I always got fucked over by the blowdart dudes and toxin. Should I be using that spider shield?

Dresden

Alucrid said:
So what can I do in Blighttown? I always got fucked over by the blowdart dudes and toxin. Should I be using that spider shield?
Yeah, spider shield protects against their darts. Just take them out slowly and methodically, and keep in mind that the blow darters won't respawn.

Heysoos

Alucrid said:

The spider shield helps a bit, also the blowdart guys don't respawn when you kill them. I think I got lucky when I was going through Blight town since a few of the blowdart guys killed themselves by falling over edges.

Edit:

Okay seriously these archers are pissing me off. How did you guys take care of them? If I try fighting them, I'll just fall off the edge from the swing. I looked on Youtube and saw that they also tend to fall. 10 tries in and not once have they fallen, they just take out their bows and start shooting again.

Alucrid

Banned
Dresden said:
Yeah, spider shield protects against their darts. Just take them out slowly and methodically, and keep in mind that the blow darters won't respawn.

Heysoos said:
The spider shield helps a bit, also the blowdart guys don't respawn when you kill them. I think I got lucky when I was going through Blight town since a few of the blowdart guys killed themselves by falling over edges.

Edit:

Okay seriously these archers are pissing me off. How did you guys take care of them? If I try fighting them, I'll just fall off the edge from the swing. I looked on Youtube and saw that they also tend to fall. 10 tries in and not once have they fallen, they just take out their bows and start shooting again.

Ok, thanks. I went to that area from VoD, I might just stop being lazy and head back down through the depths.

Heysoos said:

I just completely ignore the one on the left, run straight up to the one on the right and fight him. He'll either fall off or I'll smack him off the ledge. Maybe try using a different weapon if your own swings are making you fall off.

Heysoos

Air Zombie Meat said:
I just completely ignore the one on the left, run straight up to the one on the right and fight him. He'll either fall off or I'll smack him off the ledge. Maybe try using a different weapon if your own swings are making you fall off.

I just got it. I just kept rolling into him, he got a few hits in, but eventually I got right between him and the wall, then he just fell. Anyways, lost 32 humanity and 40k+ souls to these douches. -_-

Okay, got all the way through anor londo, up to the boss. I'm going to try and get summoned a few times so I can get a feel for the bosses before I tackle them myself.

Thank god for the giant blacksmith... Now I've got a fury sword +5 and a lightning iaito +2. Which of those weapons would be better for this fight?

Leunam

Well when I fought them I beat Ornstein first using only pyromancy, and Smough I beat with Queelags Furysword.

Looking at the wiki, I noticed both are weak to fire and resistant to lightning. Mistake on my part.

54-46!

Leunam said:
Well when I fought them I beat Ornstein first using only pyromancy, and Smough I beat with Queelags Furysword.

Looking at the wiki, I noticed both are weak to fire and resistant to lightning. Mistake on my part.
Hmm, no I think Smough is weak to Lightning, he goes down very quickly to my Iato +5.

sixghost

I think Smough is only resistant to lightning after Ornstein is dead, for obvious reasons. I've killed him pretty quickly in the first phase with both a lightning and fire spire.

JVIDICAN

I just found out something awesome in my ng++ run. If you kill gwynerve but don't wander outside the church(agro'ing the firekeeper). You'll be able to use the anor londo bonfire and still be invaded constantly. :p

ixix said:
Finally got the Platinum just now. After four and a half playthroughs I think I might finally be ready to take a break from Dark Souls.

Congrats :) You're a good read in this thread though, I hope you stick around.

I just did
Nito
in other news. Damn. Though I kinda cheesed it because I had my pyromancy spells on including you-know-what

:(

UFRA

Finished Painted World of Ariamis. I got invaded several times while in here.

If you remember me saying I was struggling before, that problem has been rectified. I've been focusing on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity lately and have gone up about 15 levels since that post. All of those values are now over 20 and I feel so powerful.

I won against all of the invaders that attacked me, and hardly struggled in the world itself. I ditched the lightning spear and now use a Lightning Longsword +3. It's a beast and I can't wait to upgrade it to +5. Just need a couple more Titanite Chunks. I have the slab I need already.

I had an interesting thing happen too. I summoned a guy to help me and we beat the
undead dragon
and were proceeding on to the next boss, but he died. I decided to go back to the bonfire to summon someone again and I noticed he now had one of those ash piles or dragon scales or whatever and I didn't know what those do. So I summoned him and it turned out he was an enemy this time lol. He did some spell on me that made me really slow and I thought I was dead. But my Lightning Longsword destroyed him in a few swipes lol.

Okay, so I got to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. Now, I'm using a +11 Iaito with a fairly light armor build. Should I switch this over to Lightning or keep it as is? I haven't dealt with the bosses yet.

Maybe use this for Lightning and keep Drake Sword for pure damage?

Zeth

How useful are the items you make with the moonlight butterfly soul? I just started my second character and I'm trying to get to the forest farming area ASAP so the souls would help. The lazer-shield doesn't seem that great. Any other tips for souls pre-forest? (killed gargoyles and butterfly and have about 8k on me)

kyubajin

Just rang my 1st bell on NG+. I was so confidently hacking my way to the boss until the Channeller used the buffing dance and the horde of hollows just obliterated me in a second even wearing the full Smough's set... If those lesser mother 'uckers can kill me like that I can't even start to imagine the serpent warriors, silver and black knights, infested barbarians, mushroom parents, sentinels, big skeletons and skele dogs... etc. I'm scared!

On another topic, I'm sure there's tons of you with the same dilemma I have: I'm at 40 END + Ring of Favour and Protection = 88.8 equip load. My preferred weapon is a Black Knight Greataxe +5 (16) + Hollow Soldier Shield +10 (3.5, will need replacement after 1.04) = 19.5 just in weaponry, which leaves me with 24.9 for a decent armour without needing Havel's ring for medium roll speed and stamina regen.

I'm currently sporting Smough's set (41.5, non-upgradable) or my favourite set, Black Iron set (40, currently at +2) but that leaves me with no ring slots.

I've been researching on this and of all the armour sets with decent poise, only the Iron & Sun set (21.1) meets the allotted weight... Is it upgradable?

I know most of you would recommend to mix and match the best pieces of different sets but it's aesthetically horrible, so if possible I'd be willing to sacrifice those perks for the sake of role play (plus some added challenge). So far that's not been the case so I'm open to any suggestions :)

PS: Congrats ixix, you're one of the best reads in this thread :) Btw, could you post again a link to your thoughts and discoveries on the story of Dark Souls?

sixghost

SiegfriedFM said:
Okay, so I got to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. Now, I'm using a +11 Iaito with a fairly light armor build. Should I switch this over to Lightning or keep it as is? I haven't dealt with the bosses yet.

Maybe use this for Lightning and keep Drake Sword for pure damage?
You might want to keep it at +11 normal for the upcoming boss fight, since either one or both of the bosses will be resistant to lightning. But after that's done, absolutely make it a lightning weapon, the difference in damage is staggering.
kyubajin said:
Just rang my 1st bell on NG+. I was so confidently hacking my way to the boss until the Channeller used the buffing dance and the horde of hollows just obliterated me in a second even wearing the full Smough's set... If those lesser mother 'uckers can kill me like that I can't even start to imagine the serpent warriors, silver and black knights, infested barbarians, mushroom parents, sentinels, big skeletons and skele dogs... etc. I'm scared!

On another topic, I'm sure there's tons of you with the same dilemma I have: I'm at 40 END + Ring of Favour and Protection = 88.8 equip load. My preferred weapon is a Black Knight Greataxe (16) + Hollow Soldier Shield +10 (3.5, will need replacement after 1.04) = 19.5 just in weaponry, which leaves me with 24.9 for a decent armour without needing Havel's ring for medium roll speed and stamina regen.

I'm currently sporting Smough's set (41.5, non-upgradable) or my favourite set, Black Iron set (40, currently at +2) but that leaves me with no ring slots.

I've been researching on this and of all the armour sets with decent poise, only the Iron & Sun set (21.1) meets the allotted weight... Is it upgradable?

I know most of you would recommend to mix and match the best pieces of different sets but it's aesthetically horrible, so if possible I'd be willing to sacrifice those perks for the sake of role play (plus some added challenge). So far that's not been the case so I'm open to any suggestions :)
You might just want to bite the bullet and use Havel's ring. You're looking at some kind of weak armor to get in under 24.9 total unless you want to use the antiquated skirt which is getting nerfed in the patch.

I would definitely recommend Mask of the Mother, which drops from the Pinwheels, or is sold by Patches. Someone here worked out the math and the +15% HP actually makes you more durable than just about any other headgear, and it's only 1.2 weight.

Pre-Patch Mask of the Mother and Antiquated skirt will definitely help you get in under 25, since they weight a combined 4.2 or something and are some of the best gear of their type.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Wooooo, just finished the game! Outside of a few issues, this will probably go down as one of my favorite games ever. It's been a long time since I was even more excited to go back through a game after just finishing it to get everything I missed the first time through. I think the payoff this game offers far outweighs the frustration.

JVIDICAN

Zeth said:
How useful are the items you make with the moonlight butterfly soul? I just started my second character and I'm trying to get to the forest farming area ASAP so the souls would help. The lazer-shield doesn't seem that great. Any other tips for souls pre-forest? (killed gargoyles and butterfly and have about 8k on me)
Crystal moonlight shield is one of the most powerful weapons in the game if you have a good stat weapon in your right hand while you use it. Sadly its going to be basically worthless after the patch.

kyubajin said:
PS: Congrats ixix, you're one of the reads in this thread :) Btw, could you post again a link to your thoughts and discoveries on the story of Dark Souls?

Yes please! Now that I'm close to beating the game I'll bookmark it and read it soon.

J-Roderton

Just finished my 6th try on the Taurus Demon. I'm jumping down on him too. I have no idea how I'm going to kill this fucker, and I'm only at the first boss. This is crazy.

kyubajin

Jroderton said:
Just finished my 6th try on the Taurus Demon. I'm jumping down on him too. I have no idea how I'm going to kill this fucker, and I'm only at the first boss. This is crazy.
After the 1st jump, just go through his legs to the other side of the bridge and wait for him to charge you. When that happens quickly evade his more than probable jumping attack and head for the ladder in order to repeat the whole process again.

This demon is not hard at all when you learn all his moveset :)

Finalow

JVIDICAN said:
Crystal moonlight shield is one of the most powerful weapons in the game if you have a good stat weapon in your right hand while you use it. Sadly its going to be basically worthless after the patch.
yep, it's very OP and cool.
i saw people doing 2k of damage with it.

Zoe

Jroderton said:

It was super easy for me:

I fell off the bridge and he followed me :lol

Leunam

Jroderton said:

You've probably picked up quite a few firebombs on your way to him. He's very weak against those.

kyubajin

DigitalDevil said:
Man,
lautrec
just keeps killing me! My eagle shield only blocks his weapons some of the time. What's up with that?
He's using Shotels which cause piercing damage that bypasses shields.

Vice

So I took a break form the game earlier this week, hectic schedule, and now I want to know where I can go. I just opened S
en's Fortress
and now I'm wondering where I should go.

damn, how many of those
Tauruses
were at Demon Ruins? had a ton of fun fighting them at lvl 38 with not much vitality and trying to avoid the lava. one mistake and i would've died (well ok i died once :p). very intense!

i dont get the hate for Demon Ruins, IMO it's a nice change of pace and has a very oppressive feel to it (the ambient sounds creep me out when using headphones).

what else is there though? beat
Ceaseless Discharge and the Tauruses
but dunno what next. seems like there's no way to go. gotta be a path somewhere...

also, managed to grab that Chaos Ember or whatever it was called. is it worth it to upgrade Fire weapons to Chaos? i don't quite see the benefit... are Chaos weapons only viable if you plan to have lots of Humanity all the time? i was thinking of making a Chaos Dagger, or are there much better daggers to make? need something to go along with my Parrying Dagger. or should i just take my Bandit Knife +10 to +15?

scy

astroturfing said:
what else is there though? beat
Ceaseless Discharge and the Tauruses
but dunno what next. seems like there's no way to go. gotta be a path somewhere...

Well, if you haven't
placed the Lordvessel then there is nothing you can really do here yet anyway
. If you have, you might have overlooked the path leading down to the
Capra Demon area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom