• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
scy said:
Well, if you haven't
placed the Lordvessel then there is nothing you can really do here yet anyway
. If you have, you might have overlooked the path leading down to the
Capra Demon area

hmm, ok so there's nothing i can do there? weird, how could i have known that? because yeah i haven't even been to Anor Londo yet :p i'm taking the game suuuuper slow, prolonging the pleasure so to speak. i've spent most of my time just trying to get summoned and help people.

next week though, i'll finally progress my own game hopefully lol.

sixghost

astroturfing said:
damn, how many of those
Tauruses
were at Demon Ruins? had a ton of fun fighting them at lvl 38 with not much vitality and trying to avoid the lava. one mistake and i would've died (well ok i died once :p). very intense!

i dont get the hate for Demon Ruins, IMO it's a nice change of pace and has a very oppressive feel to it (the ambient sounds creep me out when using headphones).

what else is there though? beat
Ceaseless Discharge and the Tauruses
but dunno what next. seems like there's no way to go. gotta be a path somewhere...

also, managed to grab that Chaos Ember or whatever it was called. is it worth it to upgrade Fire weapons to Chaos? i don't quite see the benefit... are Chaos weapons only viable if you plan to have lots of Humanity all the time? i was thinking of making a Chaos Dagger, or are there much better daggers to make? need something to go along with my Parrying Dagger. or should i just take my Bandit Knife +10 to +15?
Chaos is like an inferior Fire, unless you have 10 humanity. It's quite a bit of risk for little added damage, so unless you are PvPing a ton, or glitching humanity it's probably not the upgrade path you want. Lightning or Fire is generally the path people suggest.

astroturfing said:
hmm, ok so there's nothing i can do there? weird, how could i have known that? because yeah i haven't even been to Anor Londo yet :p i'm taking the game suuuuper slow, prolonging the pleasure so to speak. i've spent most of my time just trying to get summoned and help people.

next week though, i'll finally progress my own game hopefully lol.
Enjoy it man! The game is worth taking the time to enjoy.

My wife asked me today if I wanted my birthday present early (its at the end of the month) and even though I'm pretty sure she got me batman:ac, I just can't leave this game yet. So much more to do! I'll be lucky if I'm done with it by my birthday!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Beat the Tomb. Thanks for the help - the boss was much much easier to take down after that.

There are only two or three other areas left in memory (
Lost Izalith, New Londo Ruins, and the Great Hollow
) for me to explore. I think I'm almost done this game!

Threw together a +10 Bandit Dagger for more backstabbing funsies.

sixghost said:
Chaos is like an inferior Fire, unless you have 10 humanity. It's quite a bit of risk for little added damage, so unless you are PvPing a ton, or glitching humanity it's probably not the upgrade path you want. Lightning or Fire is generally the path people suggest.

hmm yeh, as i thought. getting 10 humanity isn't that hard though.

what about them daggers? i have no idea what's the best upgrade path for them. Lightning or Fire for daggers (and the Bandit Knife?) too? it was different in Demon's Souls so i'm a bit confused, i think a "Fatal" upgrade path was the best for daggers there. no such thing in Dark Souls apparently, so elemental upgrades are the way to go? i want a weapon that causes maximum damage with backstabs and ripostes..

sixghost

astroturfing said:
hmm yeh, as i thought. getting 10 humanity isn't that hard though.

what about them daggers? i have no idea what's the best upgrade path for them. Lightning or Fire for daggers (and the Bandit Knife?) too? it was different in Demon's Souls so i'm a bit confused, i think a "Fatal" upgrade path was the best for daggers there. no such thing in Dark Souls apparently, so elemental upgrades are the way to go? i want a weapon that causes maximum damage with backstabs and ripostes..
If you're just rolling in Humanity then go for Chaos. I didn't play DeSo, so I don't know what Fatal is, but normal weapons just don't scale enough to outdamage lightning or fire at any reasonable level.

Go for Lightning or Fire.

sixghost said:
If you're just rolling in Humanity then go for Chaos. I didn't play DeSo, so I don't know what Fatal is, but normal weapons just don't scale enough to outdamage lightning or fire at any reasonable level.

Go for Lightning or Fire.

i think i'll do both. where can i get more daggers? heh. i forgot where i got the one i have.

Damn! I had Solaire and another player for the Anor Londo boss fight. Managed to take down the first one but then the second (big guy) killed my friends. I was taking him down but then he got a lucky shot that I didn't recover from in time. He was at 10% or so :(

So now I'm waiting for a summon sign outside. I'm not trying this with just Solaire, neat as he is.

sixghost

astroturfing said:
don't they drop just Bandit Knives? and i'm almost certain that i bought my Dagger from a merchant... hmm.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant the bandit knife. I'm pretty sure you get the Dagger from the undead merchant(M).

I don't think there's any reason to use a dagger over a bandit knife though.

Dresden

DigitalDevil said:
Sweet mother of god...

Looks like I'm going to have to change my style pretty dramatically for this fight :/
roll away -> poke -> roll away -> poke -> roll away -> poke -> collect loot

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
kyubajin said:
PS: Congrats ixix, you're one of the best reads in this thread :) Btw, could you post again a link to your thoughts and discoveries on the story of Dark Souls?

Risk Breaker said:
Yes please! Now that I'm close to beating the game I'll bookmark it and read it soon.

I'm working on version 4 now, should have it finished tonight as soon as I get a spot of uninterrupted time to finish the formatting and double-check a couple things. Unless there's a major omission or the patch changes some item descriptions it'll probably be the final version.

Nora Kisaragi said:
until the patch of course

Probably. I'm planning on waiting for the patch before starting my dual-dual-wield Black Cleric character. In the meantime I need to take a breather.

sixghost said:
Oh sorry, I thought you meant the bandit knife. I'm pretty sure you get the Dagger from the undead merchant(M).

I don't think there's any reason to use a dagger over a bandit knife though.

so basically the bandit knife is the best dagger and even maxed out elemental daggers are still worse?

lame. i wanted some uber-dagger :(

JVIDICAN said:
I just found out something awesome in my ng++ run. If you kill gwynerve but don't wander outside the church(agro'ing the firekeeper). You'll be able to use the anor londo bonfire and still be invaded constantly. :p

Yeah I discovered this and it is pretty awesome. PvP is amazingly fun. I've lost very few matches. ;)

Volcynika

I've pretty much maxed the kindling on all bonfires not following a boss aside from the mid-Blighttown one and the Painted World. After Blighttown, gonna go to the painted world and max that out + take out the undead dragon there.

I haven't done much weapon reinforcements, but I have a lot of boss souls that I haven't made weapons with. And how do I get my bandit's knife to +15, I'm not sure I have the item to do so.

Godslay

Banned
Couple of quick questions. Is the Hellkite headshot glitch fixed? I was able to get the Drake sword, kill the Black Knight (who happened to drop a Black Knight Greatsword, seems rare?), but when I get to the top of the tower the Hellkite is not there. I've tried going back to a bonfire and restarting the system, but he still doesn't appear. Any suggestions?

Ok, there is nothing cooler than having a high stability shield, getting smacked by a huge enemy (Taurus Demon, Capra Demon), and doing auto backflip/roll recovery. Such an awesome animation.

Godslay said:
Couple of quick questions. Is the Hellkite headshot glitch fixed? I was able to get the Drake sword, kill the Black Knight (who happened to drop a Black Knight Greatsword, seems rare?), but when I get to the top of the tower the Hellkite is not there. I've tried going back to a bonfire and restarting the system, but he still doesn't appear. Any suggestions?
You have to travel to the bonfire above the blacksmith outside the church. Rest there, then return to the black knight tower. That is what worked for a lot of people.

After reading some of the replies, it seems it wasnt such a bad thing that Pharis seemed to run off a cliff and die without me being able to get his bow >.>

Still, wished I had it :/

Thanks for the help before btw.

astroturfing said:
so basically the bandit knife is the best dagger and even maxed out elemental daggers are still worse?

lame. i wanted some uber-dagger :(
Well, priscilla's dagger does do 50% bleed instead of 30%. But even at +5 it will do less damage per strike than a +15 bandit. Especially considering the fixes to start scaling coming in 1.04

Godslay

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
You have to travel to the bonfire above the blacksmith outside the church. Rest there, then return to the black knight tower. That is what worked for a lot of people.

Thank you! I will give it a shot. I bought this game on a whim and I am amazed at it's power to pull a person in.

purg3

slept with Malkin
went right into NG+ and rang the 2 bells in little over an hour. Could have been much less but I had to go through the Depths again since I missed the tail on Gaping during my first run--and got invaded a bunch of times. Outside of a btich with a fog ring, I've been owning with my fire washing pole +10. Damn, this game is so much easier when you known where everything is and what you're doing.

purg3 said:
went right into NG+ and rang the 2 bells in little over an hour. Could have been much less but I had to go through the Depths again since I missed the tail on Gaping during my first run--and got invaded a bunch of times. Outside of a btich with a fog ring, I've been owning with my fire washing pole +10. Damn, this game is so much easier when you known where everything is and what you're doing.
I am really looking forward to the ability to lock on to fog ring users. But of course then everyone will stop using it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
DigitalDevil said:
I am really looking forward to the ability to lock on to fog ring users. But of course then everyone will stop using it.
Not that I use it since I don't even have it but if I did I'd use it for stealth when I invade people in non-Anor Londo/Darkroot/Kiln levels.

Wrong thread,

Has anyone managed to kill Smough and Ornstein at the same time? I'm trying at the moment and have gotten pretty close to doing so.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ornstein and Smough are dead! Thank you all for the advice! I went and leveled up some of my gear and pyromancy. That helped a ton and I now have a decent amount of large Titanite shards.

Onwards!

bone_and_sinew

Mortrialus said:
Wrong thread,

Has anyone managed to kill Smough and Ornstein at the same time? I'm trying at the moment and have gotten pretty close to doing so.
I tried like 5 times with graveload sword dance but never managed to and gave up. I still need to get Ornstein's gear so I won't do it in NG+ but I'll try in NG++.

theta11

Mortrialus said:
Wrong thread,

What are you using for the killing blow? I imagine only something like God's Wrath or Firestorm would work.

theta11 said:
What are you using for the killing blow? I imagine only something like God's Wrath or Firestorm would work.

I got it! Finished them off with God's Wrath.

Basically, the fight seems to randomly pick one, and the short period after you kill the first one is basically nonexistent.

RyanDG

kyubajin said:
I know most of you would recommend to mix and match the best pieces of different sets but it's aesthetically horrible, so if possible I'd be willing to sacrifice those perks for the sake of role play (plus some added challenge). So far that's not been the case so I'm open to any suggestions :)

If you are interested in a mask that will help as well as look halfway decent with other equipment - Mask of the Father is a good choice and will give you some spare equip burden to burn with it as well. I know you don't want to mix and match, but I'd at least take a look at it.

bone_and_sinew

I can't wear mask of the father because it has that stupid batman face expression:

MaskoftheFather.jpg

batman-is-disgusted-horrified-shocked-12732203359.jpg

elty

Re: New Londo Ruins

So... does the game actually tell you about
Darkwraith and not to give Lord Vessel to Kampt? I mean, how are people supposed to know Keathe is waiting you at New Londo Ruins?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Holy fuckin shit Sen's Tower..totally reminds me of Boletaria. Yeah, I know, taken me over a month to get here but this place is amazing. So many paths. When I found the bonfire..omg..the jubilation I had..

Sullichin

worldrevolution said:
Holy fuckin shit Sen's Tower..totally reminds me of Boletaria. Yeah, I know, taken me over a month to get here but this place is amazing. So many paths. When I found the bonfire..omg..the jubilation I had..

I fucking love this area! It was quite difficult for me at first but the design is amazing.

worldrevolution said:

Yeah it is a great area and I'm tempted to build a competitive map on Halo inspired by it. Probably my favorite area in the game.

worldrevolution said:

There really is something special about Sen's Fortress.

So no one is impressed by me killing Ornstein and Smough at the same time?

elty

Jroderton said:
Just finished my 6th try on the Taurus Demon. I'm jumping down on him too. I have no idea how I'm going to kill this fucker, and I'm only at the first boss. This is crazy.

So you get the first jump attack. Now back off and lure it from the tower. When it gets far enough, run back to the ladder and climb to do another jump attack. If it is far enough from the tower than it won't catch up with you.

RyanDG

elty said:
Re: New Londo Ruins

So... does the game actually tell you about
Darkwraith and not to give Lord Vessel to Kampt? I mean, how are people supposed to know Keathe is waiting you at New Londo Ruins?

Ingward in the Ruins when you first speak to him tells you a bit about what to expect.

Kalnos

Banned
Mortrialus said:
BTW any new news on the patch being released in NA?

Yeah, I want to know this too. Thinking about starting a primarily bow using character and still debating on waiting or starting now.

purg3

slept with Malkin
holy shit that was crazy tough, just finished off O&S on NG+

Of course I killed Orn first on play through 1, so to get Orn's soul this time I had to face him in SSJ mode on NG+...... Took about 5 tries but got it, so fucking tense. He had about a bar left when he hit me with the impale move. My life bar went yellow, and I was about to throw my controller. As soon as I hit the ground I got back up, must have had a magic pixel of life left. Was able to get a quick estus in and finish him off. Damn that feels good lol.

JVIDICAN

messing around with the character creator now. Why the hell does from refuse to add beards?
Sure I can mess with jaw depth and such to make a "decent" fake one, but I want a big burly Gwyn beard. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom