• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFRA

I wish the game explained the different types of summon signs...

I spent 50 hours in this game thinking the orange-ish colored summon signs were the type where it intentionally summons an invader to battle with.

It wasn't until I joined the Warrior of Sunlight covenant that I realized my summon sign changed from white to orange.

All this time I've been avoiding those signs...I'd imagine others do the same too, now it will probably be harder to get summoned as help. :/

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kalnos said:
Yeah, I want to know this too. Thinking about starting a primarily bow using character and still debating on waiting or starting now.

Bows are situationally useful throughout, but I'd hold off pushing your archery til NG+.

The cost of ammo is prohibitive, especially if you're using Dragonslayer Longbow which is far and away the best option if you're looking for ranged damage without resorting to poison arrows DoT.

Bosses press you way to hard and fast for the most part -although there is one notable exception- so it really isn't an option as a main weapon.

That said, Demon Ruins and Izalith are where a strong ranged attack really shines, so much so you'll be wondering why so many people have a problem with the zones.

Clear said:
Bows are situationally useful throughout, but I'd hold off pushing your archery til NG+.

The cost of ammo is prohibitive, especially if you're using Dragonslayer Longbow which is far and away the best option if you're looking for ranged damage without resorting to poison arrows DoT.

Bosses press you way to hard and fast for the most part -although there is one notable exception- so it really isn't an option as a main weapon.

That said, Demon Ruins and Izalith are where a strong ranged attack really shines, so much so you'll be wondering why so many people have a problem with the zones.

The Capra Gauntlet in particular becomes a piece of cake with a good bow.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Tried for 10 minutes trying to cut off Seath's tail.
He ended up with his tail clipping through the walls most of the fight & me as a result just doing damage to either the wall or to the base of his tail, which won't cut it off.

I was out of flasks & still tried to get a few swings at his tail & then he dies & no sword for me.

I had the ring that doesn't make any sound, I thought he was blind & wouldn't attack if I didn't make any sounds?
Playing him again on NG+ with the patch & trying to get the tail will be a bitch. :(

mudkyp

UFRA said:
I wish the game explained the different types of summon signs...

I spent 50 hours in this game thinking the orange-ish colored summon signs were the type where it intentionally summons an invader to battle with.

It wasn't until I joined the Warrior of Sunlight covenant that I realized my summon sign changed from white to orange.

All this time I've been avoiding those signs...I'd imagine others do the same too, now it will probably be harder to get summoned as help. :/

Same here, just figured that out when I was getting ready to beat NG+...

Booshka

I've noticed that people who use Fog Ring and TWoP are mostly idiots, especially TWoP users. They hardly ever capitalize on their advantage, Fog ring users don't go for backstabs enough, and then I get idiots that cast TWoP and go head to head with me and try a melee duel when I am 2H a Fire Zweihander and smashing their face in. This guy was poking me with his dagger over and over then I just did a 3 hit combo on him with a Fire Zweihander and killed him easily.

I got one shot earlier (I had 1700 HP) by Crystal Homing Soulmass that looked like it went way past me, then I looked at the guy's profile and he was from South Africa, go figure.

Any good places to farm for Red Titanite Chunks beside the Kiln and Poison things in Lost Izalith? I'm at +8 right now on my Fire Zweihander, I can only 2H it because my strength is 16, but it is amazing in PvP, and it'll dominate most bosses as well when I am tanking.

Booshka said:
I've noticed that people who use Fog Ring and TWoP are mostly idiots, especially TWoP users. They hardly ever capitalize on their advantage, Fog ring users don't go for backstabs enough, and then I get idiots that cast TWoP and go head to head with me and try a melee duel when I am 2H a Fire Zweihander and smashing their face in. This guy was poking me with his dagger over and over then I just did a 3 hit combo on him with a Fire Zweihander and killed him easily.

I got one shot earlier (I had 1700 HP) by Crystal Homing Soulmass that looked like it went way past me, then I looked at the guy's profile and he was from South Africa, go figure.

Any good places to farm for Red Titanite Chunks beside the Kiln and Poison things in Lost Izalith? I'm at +8 right now on my Fire Zweihander, I can only 2H it because my strength is 16, but it is amazing in PvP, and it'll dominate most bosses as well when I am tanking.

I wish I got these people. Whenever I get hit with TWoP, it's always like "lawlz hope you like the taste of fireball" *burns to a crisp*

scy

Thagomizer said:
I wish I got these people. Whenever I get hit with TWoP, it's always like "lawlz hope you like the taste of fireball" *burns to a crisp*

I feel bad for keeping TWoP in my attunement slots but I keep it around JUST for situations like this. Feels like a waste of the slot most of the time, though :/

On that note, made a new SL 115 Faith character. 40 VIT/END, 34 STR, 40 Faith, 14 Attunement. Aiming for 2Hing the 50 STR weapons with Darkmoon/Sunlight Enchants with the Occult swap. Hopefully 1.04 hits before I get all my weapons/playthroughs done so I can just not keep TWoP around. That'd be nice...

Kalnos

Banned
Thagomizer said:
The Capra Gauntlet in particular becomes a piece of cake with a good bow.

Capra gang was easy with an Iaito so I'm not too worried. :p

Yeah, I just want to do some non-standard builds and a bow build sounds interesting.

Jhoan

Been taking advantage of grinding at Darkroot Forest near the bonfire. I went from SL18 to SL54 in about 1.5 hours. I finally rang the first bell, but I lost 65,454 souls because of the shielded knights at the church parried and killed me, so I'm gonna have to go back to the forest to farm for more souls. I also need to get the Homeward spell. Currently using the Drakesword as its the strongest sword I have and the Knight Shield.

I have an idea of several places where I can go to such as to the area where Capra demon is located, the Valley of the Drakes which goes to Blighttown, the ruins where the ghosts are, and if I get strong enough, the area past those mages and bandits in the forest. Finding secrets such as a new weapon never gets old. I've never turned human, so I'm holding on to all my humanity points. I did however get the Book of the Guilty just in case although the thought of another player invading scares me, so I'm gonna stay in Hollow form for a while.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone give me some advice?

This is how my battles in the forest are going:

First of all, my character is like Soul Level 112. Huge STR, END, tons of health, even a decent amount of DEX. Full Havel set, any shield I want. Black knight greataxe +5.

Battles always start out with me wailing on the guy until he's almost completely dead, then he rolls out of the way, drinks an estus, then blasts me to hell with some spell/miracle or other.

It's ridiculous. I've come so close to winning so many fights.

Speevy said:

First of all, my character is like Soul Level 112. Huge STR, END, tons of health, even a decent amount of DEX. Full Havel set, any shield I want. Black knight greataxe +5.

Battles always start out with me wailing on the guy until he's almost completely dead, then he rolls out of the way, drinks an estus, then blasts me to hell with some spell/miracle or other.

Lloyd's Talisman.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Speevy said:

A 1k+ blow to end the fight, AKA hornet's ring.

Booshka

Speevy said:

Try going 2H with Grass Crest shield and Child mask for Stamina Regen and use the Flip ring, you dont really need all that armor if you have a weapon that strong. Just get up in their shit and keep attacking. With your quickness and stamina, you can always pressure them and they won't have time to get away and heal. You will also be able to avoid most spells/pyromancy with quick rolls. This strategy worked wonders for me when I PvP'd with the BK Great Axe.

elty

RyanDG said:
Ingward in the Ruins when you first speak to him tells you a bit about what to expect.

I think he only said something like
darkwraiths are enemy of man, the city is sacrifice to contain them. He also said the 4 kings are their master. I don't think Keathe is mentioned anywhere else?.

Anyone try the Lloyd trick to get Symbol of Avarice?

Wow, Dark Souls is so much easier as a Sorcerer. I decided to play a Dark Souls drinking game: drink every time I die. And started a new game as a Sorcerer and man, I've only died like...three times and I've already beaten the Taurus Demon (and didn't even die against him). So much different than my thief experience.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dark Souls Bibliography Version 4

What this is: Much of the information available about the plot and setting of Dark Souls is scattered throughout the game and communicated through item descriptions and conversations with NPCs. Much of this information is easily missed by the player. This list is an attempt to compile as much of this information as possible into a single convenient reference document. Information is organized by character, and is presented as a list of facts with accompanying references to where in the game the information can be found so that it can be independently verified. I attempt to minimize commentary or interpretation on my part, and to preserve the game's own phrasing when summarizing. In some cases I have done some extrapolation based on in-game sources, and in these cases I have provided a footnote explaining the rationale behind their inclusion. It is not intended to be a comprehensive explanation or interpretation of the game's plot and setting, rather it is intended as a resource to be used for individual players to arrive at their own conclusions. And, technically speaking, it is more of a glossary than a bibliography.

Unless there are any serious omissions or inaccuracies drawn to my attention this will probably be the final version. Most of the remaining characters -- as well as several that are already included -- are largely irrelevant to the game's overarching narrative, have their own sub-plots clearly resolved with little ambiguity in the course of the game, or are, frankly, completely irrelevant in general. Nobody particularly wants or needs to read a detailed summary of the mopey merchant in Sen's Fortress, I don't think. It was never my intention to make this list exhaustive, and while it still is not it is far closer than I ever expected it to be, and accomplishes its objective of being a reasonably useful reference to important information that is easily overlooked. At this point I can think of very few ways to meaningfully improve it without significantly expanding its scope, which I like to think means that at this point it is about as good as it can reasonably be expected to be.

What's new in this version: Added sections for most of the minor characters who appear in the game, added a new entry for Nito (finally), added yet more to Seath's entry, added a new entry to the Four Kings, excised the Four Kings footnote because it was more trivia than clarification, excised the Gwynevere footnote after Mortrialus pointed out to me that the Ring of the Sun Princess is unambiguous about her lineage, rephrased several parts of Darkstalker Kaathe's section to more closely align the phrasing with his own words, added another footnote to further clarify Kaathe's section, standardized the formatting of several references I missed when I last tried to standardize the formatting, added further information to some conversation references to clarify how to trigger them, added a Special Thanks section to credit people who've helped me compile this list, and split the list into two parts to fit within the NeoGAF single-post character limit.

This list contains massive spoilers.

Part One

Gwyn
- Referred to as both Lord of Sunlight and Lord of Cinder. [Opening cinematic narration, final boss fight]
- Has three known children: an unnamed eldest son, Gwynevere, and Gwyndolin. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, Ring of the Sun Princess, Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, Darkmoon Seance Ring item descriptions]
- Led a group of knights. [Opening cinematic narration]
- Some of his knights fought the demons unleashed by the Witch of Izalith. [Black Knight Shield item description]
- Amongst the knights he led were 4 who are specifically named: Artorias the Abysswalker, Hawkeye Gough, Lord's Blade Ciaran, and Ornstein the Dragonslayer. [Wolf Ring, Hawk Ring, Hornet Ring, Leo Ring item descriptions]
- Approximately 1000 years before the beginning of the game he left Anor Londo for the Kiln of the First Flame, taking some of his knights with him and leaving some in Anor Londo as guards. Those who went with him burned to ash when he lit the flame and were reduced to living suits of armor. [Conversation with Kingseeker Frampt, Silver Knight Armor, Black Knight Armor item descriptions]
- Before leaving to link the flame, he gave part of his Lord Soul to the Four Kings of New Londo and part of his Lord Soul to Seath the Scaleless. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item descriptions]
- Divided his power amongst his children before leaving to link the flame, taking only his sword with him. [Great Lord Greatsword item description]
- There is a tomb dedicated to him in Anor Londo. [Conversation with Gwyndolin]
- Havel the Rock was his compatriot. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]

Gravelord Nito
- Referred to as the First of the Dead. [Opening cinematic narration, Gravelord Sword item description]
- He administers the death of all manner of beings. [Nit's Lord Soul item description]
- Pinwheel stole his power. [Mask of the Father, Mother, and Child item descriptions]
- Quietly oversees all death and waits for his servants to usher in the Eye of Death. [Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle description]

The Witch of Izalith
- Is never referred to by name in any capacity to the best of my knowledge.
- She found her Lord Soul near the First Flame. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- Attempted to duplicate the First Flame from a soul, and in so doing created the Bed of Chaos and unleashed demons on the world. [Bed of Chaos Lord Soul item description, Conversation with Quelana of Izalith, Chaos Storm Pyromancy description]
- When she lost control of her Lord Soul she and her daughters were engulfed by the Flame of Chaos and moulded into deformed creatures. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- Created Pyromancy when she was engulfed by Chaos. [Demon's Catalyst item description]
- Did not herself use Pyromancy, but rather a form of flame sorcery that has since vanished. [Izalith Catalyst item description]
- The Demon Firesage is the last practitioner of her flame sorcery. [Demon's Catalyst item description]
- Has four known daughters: Quelana, Quelaag, the Chaos Covenant leader, and the enemy wearing Gold-Hemmed Robes outside the entrance to the Bed of Chaos boss fight*. [Conversation with Quelana, Quelaag's Furysword item description, conversation with Chaos Covenant leader with Old Witch's Ring equipped, Chaos Fire Whip Pyromancy description]

Seath the Scaleless
- Is a dragon who betrayed his own kind. [Opening cinematic narration]
- Was a close confidante of Gwyn and was given the Duke's Archive by him. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper, Conversation with Kingseeker Frampt]
- Gwyn awarded him a Dukedom for betraying the dragons. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- Obsessed with researching the Scales of Immortality. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper]
- He was able to become immortal through the Primordial Crystal, which he pillaged when he turned against the ancient dragons. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- He is a true Undead, unlike the player character and other Undead like Big Hat Logan. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- Conducts experiments on human subjects with the aim of creating new sorceries. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive]
- Employs the Channelers to kidnap victims for his experiments. [Channeler's Trident item description]
- Specifically captures maidens for his experiments. [Archive Tower Giant Cell Key item description]
- The creatures in the basement of the Duke's Archive are the mistakes from his experiments. [Archive Tower Cell Key item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- As of the time of the game he has gone mad. [Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper, Robe of the Channelers item description]
- Is blind. [Six-Eyed Helm of the Channelers item description]
- Is albino. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- Created the Moonlight Butterfly. [Crystal Ring Shield item description]
- Is called the grandfather of sorcery. [Moonlight Greatsword item description]
- Havel the Rock was his sworn enemy. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]

Gwyndolin
- Last born child of Gwyn. [Darkmoon Seance Ring item description]
- Is repulsive and frail, and so created an illusion of Gwynevere to help him guard Anor Londo. [Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring item description]
- The Anor Londo Firekeeper is one of his followers, and he gave her the Brass Armor to hide her hideous form. [Brass Armor item description]
- The power of the moon was strong with him, and so he was raised as a daughter. [Moonlight Robe item description]
- Personally guards Gwyn's tomb in Anor Londo. [Cutscene prior to boss fight with Gwyndolin]
- In addition to being a god, he is also a Moon sorcerer. [Tin Darkmoon Catalyst item description]
- He has a deep adoration of the sun. [Crown of the Dark Sun item description]

Gwynevere
- At some point prior to the start of the game she left Anor Londo along with many other deities and later became wife to Flame God Flann. [Ring of the Sun Princess item description]
- Known as the princess cherished by all. [Soothing Sunlight, Bountiful Sunlight Miracle descriptions]
- The Gwynevere the player interacts with in Anor Londo is an illusion created by Gwyndolin. [Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring item description]

Gwyn's Firstborn
- First born child of Gwyn. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- Inherited the sunlight from Gwyn. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- Was a god of war. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- His foolishness led to a loss of the annals, and his status as a deity was rescinded. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- His name is unknown. [Ring of the Sun's Firstborn item description]
- When he was stripped of his deific status, he left the Sunlight Blade Miracle on his father's coffin. [Sunlight Blade Miracle description]
- The Great Lightning Spear was his weapon. [Great Lightning Spear Miracle description]
- He had respect only for arms, and nothing else. [Great Lightning Spear Miracle description]

Priscilla
- Is a cross between a dragon and something else. [Priscilla's Dagger item description]
- The Gods feared her lifehunt ability. [Lifehunt Scythe item description]
- Is referred to as a crossbreed bastard and antithesis to all life. [Soul of Priscilla item description]

The Four Kings
- Were the rulers of New Londo. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- Received a part of a Lord Soul from Gwyn. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- Gwyn gave them their ranks and part of his Lord Soul because he recognized their foresight. [Bequeathed Lord Soul item description]
- At some point they fell to the Dark. [Key to the Seal item description]
- The knights who served them who fell to the Dark became the Darkwraiths. [Dark Armor item description]
- New Londo was flooded to banish them and the Darkwraiths. At the time New Londo was flooded it had a robust culture. [Key to the Seal item description]

The Sealers of New Londo
- New Londo was sealed by three sorcerers. Two of them eventually tired of their duty and left New Londo. [Mask of the Sealer item description]
- When they sealed New Londo many people were sacrificed. [Mask of the Sealer item description]
- They were once known as healers. [Crimson Robe item description]
- Ingward is the last remaining Sealer of New Londo. [Conversation with Ingward, Mask of the Sealer item description]
- One of the Sealers was Yulva, who abandoned New Londo to take her healing arts back to Blighttown. [Remedy Sorcery description]

Ornstein the Dragonslayer
- Is one of the four knights of Gwyn. [Leo Ring item description]
- He is said to have once sliced a boulder in two with his spear. [Leo Ring item description]
- He is believed to be the captain of the four knights. [Ornstein's Armor item description]
- Guards the cathedral in Anor Londo. [Ornstein's Armor item description]

Artorias the Abysswalker
- Was one of the four knights of Gwyn. [Wolf Ring item description]
- Was known for having an unbendable will and for being unmatched with a greatsword. [Wolf Ring item description]
- He was capable of traversing the Abyss. [Covenant of Artorias item description]
- He hunted the Darkwraiths. [Greatsword of Artorias iten description]
- He entered into a covenant with the creatures of the Abyss. [Covenant of Artorias, Greatsword of Artorias item descriptions]
- His grave is in Darkroot Basin, and is guarded by the great grey wolf Sif. [Greatshield of Artorias, Greatsword of Artorias item descriptions]
- Many adventurers travel to his grave but are killed by bandits. [Crest of Artorias item description]

Hawkeye Gough
- Was one of the four knights of Gwyn. [Hawk Ring item description]
- Led a group called the Greatarchers**. [Hawk Ring item description]
- Wielded a great bow, with which he took down high-flying dragons. [Hawk Ring item description]

Lord's Blade Ciaran
- Was one of the four knights of Gwyn. [Hornet Ring item description]
- Wielded a dagger with which he laid waste to Gwyn's enemies. [Hornet Ring item description]

Executioner Smough
- Guards the cathedral in Anor Londo. [Smough's Hammer item description]
- He loved his work. [Smough's Hammer item description]
- His hopes of being ranked with the Four Knights were ruined because he ground the bones of his victims into his food. [Smough's Hammer item description]

Kingseeker Frampt
- Is a friend of Gwyn. [Conversation with Kingseeker Frampt, Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Wants the player to kindle the First Flame, succeed Gwyn, and perpetuate the Age of Fire. [Conversation with Kingseeker Frampt]
- Is fond of humans. [Conversation with Kingseeker Frampt after filling the Lordvessel]

Darkstalker Kaathe
- Incited the Darkwraiths to use the power of the dark soul*** to absorb humanity. [Dark Hand item description]
- Considers Frampt to have betrayed his mission. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Claims that the Pygmy possessed the Dark Soul and is the progenitor and ancestor**** of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Wants the player to allow the First Flame to go out to usher in the Age of Dark. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Allows the player to join the Darkwraith Covenant, giving the player the Dark Hand upon joining as well as the Red Eye Orb and the sword and armor of a Darkwraith as successive ranks are attained. [Result of joining and advancing in rank in Darkwraith Covenant]

Solaire of Astora
- A member of the Warriors of Sunlight. [Conversation with Solaire of Astora]
- After turning Undead he came to Lordran to seek his own sun. [Conversation with Solaire of Astora]
- His combat prowess is purely the result of his own training, and not because of any enchantments. [Sunlight Sword item description]

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Part Two

Big Hat Logan
- Attempted to reach Anor Londo by way of Sen's Fortress, but failed and was captured. [Conversation with Sen's Fortress merchant, Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Sen's Fortress]
- Developed the Soul Spear spell, a legendary sorcery which is said to be on par with Gwyn's lightning. [Soul Spear Sorcery description]
- Griggs of Vinheim is his student. [Conversation with Griggs of Vinheim]
- Holds no antipathy for Seath the Scaleless even after learning of his experiments. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in the Duke's Archive]
- His hat has no special powers. He wears it because he's antisocial and it blocks out external sights and sounds. [Big Hat item description]
- His catalyst was originally a standard catalyst of the Vinheim Dragon School, but after a long period of use by Logan it has become more powerful. [Logan's Catalyst item description]
- Uses Seath's research to create more powerful versions of sorceries. [Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive, Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, Crystal Magic Weapon, White Dragon Breath Sorcery descriptions]

Havel the Rock
- Was a battlefield compatriot of Gwyn. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Was a bishop. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Hated magic and was the sworn enemy of Seath the Scaleless, and devised means to combat them. [Great Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Was proficient at countering magic. [Magic Barrier Miracle description]
- Leader of a group of warriors who were equipped similarly to himself. [Havel's Armor item description]

Lautrec
- Referred to as both Lautrec of Carim and Lautrec the Embraced. [Conversation with Lautrec, Embraced Armor of Favor item description]
- Follower of the goddess Fina. [Embraced Armor of Favor item description]
- At some point prior to the start of the game he forsook everything because he believed in Fina's love for him. [Helm of Favor item description]
- Does not like Patches, and intends to have his hide the next time they meet. [Conversation with Lautrec at Firelink Shrine]

Eingyi
- Is a Pyromancer who is considered a heretic in the Great Swamp. [Toxic Mist Pyromancy description]
- He was driven from the Great Swamp for crafting the Toxic Mist Pyromancy, which is considered a perverse diversion from the art of fire. [Toxic Mist Pyromancy description]
- Is indebted to Quelaag's sister because she was kind to him and consumed the Blightpus against Quelaag's orders. [Conversation with Eingyi after getting infected with an egg]

Quelana of Izalith
- Is a daughter of the Witch of Izalith. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- She is the mother of Pyromancy. [Gold-Hemmed Black Cloak item description]
- Most people cannot see her. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith, Conversation with Eingyi]
- At some point she abandoned her mother and sisters and fled to Blighttown. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- Is the only daughter of the Witch of Izalith to escape being engulfed by the Flame of Chaos. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- Salaman the Master Pyromancer was her pupil. [Conversation with Quelana of Izalith]
- Salaman in turn trained Carmina, who harnessed the power of Pyromancy to actualize the inner self. [Flash Sweat Pyromancy description, Iron Flesh Pyromancy description, Power Within Pyromancy description]

Anastacia
- Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine. [Dingy Robe item description]
- Her tongue was cut out so she could not use it to profane the gods. [Conversation with warrior in chainmail at Firelink Shrine]
- The clothes she wears may have once been the robes of a maiden of the Way of White. [Dingy Robe item description]
- Her clothing has signs that she was maimed to prevent escape. [Blood-Stained Skirt item description]
- Wishes for the player to kindle the First Flame so the curse of the Undead will end and she can die as a human. [Conversation with Anastacia after filling the Lordvessel]

Anor Londo Fire Keeper
- Known as the Darkmoon Knightess. [Brass Armor item description]
- She became the Fire Keeper after visiting Gwyndolin in the Anor Londo Mausoleum. [Brass Armor item description]
- She is a Blade of the Darkmoon. [Brass Armor item description]
- She received the Brass Armor to hide her hideous form and to help her hunt the guilty. [Brass Armor item description]

Rhea of Thorolund
- She is on an Undead mission*****. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund after paying him souls]
- She is the youngest daughter of the house of Thorolund. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund after the arrival of Rhea, Vince, and Nico]
- Petrus, Vince, and Nico are her guardians on her Undead mission. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund]
- Vince and Nico were her schoolmates. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund after the arrival of Rhea, Vince, and Nico]
- While in the Tomb of Giants she was fooled by Patches. [Conversation with Rhea of Thorolund in Undead Parish]
- After being tricked by Patches, Vince and Nico become hollowed. [Conversation with Rhea of Thorolund in Undead Parish]
- She avoids the Firelink Bonfire because of how many people frequent it. [Conversation with Rhea of Thorolund in Undead Parish]
- As of the time of the game, she is a recent arrival in Lordran. [Conversation with Lautrec in Firelink Shrine]
- She wears the formal attire of a traveling maiden of the Way of White. [Maiden Robe item description]

Petrus of Thorolund
- Gives the player character a single copper coin as a token of peace. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund]
- Is a member of the Way of White, and offers to allow the player character to join as well. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund]
- He is a companion of Rhea, Vince, and Nico. [Conversation with Petrus of Thorolund]
- At some point while exploring the Catacombs with Rhea, Vince, and Nico he abandons them and flees. [Conversation with Lautrec in Firelink Shrine]
- He thinks that Rhea is not worth her salt without her family name, and that she is helpless without Vince and Nico. [Conversations with Petrus of Thorolund after rescuing Rhea]

Trusty Patches
- Kicks people into holes then takes their possessions after they die. [Cutscene in Tomb of Giants]
- Fools Rhea, Vince, and Nico, leading to Vince and Nico becoming hollowed. [Conversation with Rhea of Thorolund in Undead Parish]
- Considers all clerics to be rotten. [Conversation with Patches at Firelink Shrine]
- Thinks Lautrec is completely mad. [Conversation with Patches at Firelink Shrine]

Velka, Goddess of Sin
- Is a rogue deity. [Vow of Silence Miracle description]
- She is considered to have a great range of influence even as gods are concerned. [Vow of Silence Miracle description]

Knight King Rendal
- Was from the kingdom of Balder, which was reduced to ruins after a widespread outbreak of Undead. [Balder Armor item description]
- Tried to reach Anor Londo, but failed in the attempt. [Conversation with Sen's Fortress merchant]

Berenike
- Was a knight known for his heavy armor. [Tower Shield item description]
- Leader of a group of knights known for wearing heavy armor and wielding heavy weapons, and who were extolled as the mightiest of the mighty. [Steel Armor item description]
- Countless of his knights became Undead and journeyed to Lordran, but they went Hollow. [Steel Armor item description]

Paladin Leeroy
- Was the first member of the Way of White to turn Undead. [Paladin's Armor item description]
- After turning undead he was given the legendary weapon and shield Grant and Sanctus and was sent on a mission to Lordran.[Grant item description]
- He was the first member of the Way of White to be sent on an Undead mission. [Paladin's Armor item description]

Witch Beatrice
- Unlike almost all other users of sorcery she did not study at the Vinheim Dragon School. [Witch Cloak item description]
- At some point she entered the Abyss but did not survive. [Witch Cloak item description]
- Her catalyst has signs of being used for age-old sorceries, and has been passed down through many generations. [Beatrice's Catalyst item description]

Xanthous King Jeremiah
- He is known as the legendary exile, and no one knows where his armor came from. [Xanthous Crown item description]

Black Iron Tarkus
- He was known for his great strength. [Black Iron Armor item description]
- He journeyed to Anor Londo by way of Sen's Fortress, but ultimately failed in his objective. [Conversation with Sen's Fortress merchant]

Kirk, Knight of Thorns
- He is an infamous member of the Darkwraiths. [Barbed Straight Sword item description]
- He is called the Knight of Thorns because of the gnarly spikes on his favorite weapon. [Barbed Straight Sword item description]

Maneater Mildred
- There does not appear to be a single direct reference to her in any item descriptions or conversations.

The Pygmy
- Possessed the Dark Soul, is the progenitor of the player character. [Conversation with Darkstalker Kaathe]
- Is furtive and easily forgotten. [Opening cinematic narration]

Footnotes
* I am uncertain if the game uses daughter in the literal or metaphorical sense in this case. The Chaos Covenant leader is included owing to the fact that she is stated to be Quelaag's sister and Quelaag is stated to be a daughter of the Witch of Izalith. The enemy outside the door to the Bed of Chaos is included because she uses the Chaos Fire Whip Pyromancy, the description of which states that it was wielded by the eldest of the Daughters of Chaos.
** In the Hawk Ring item description they are called the Greatarchers, but in the Dragonslayer Greatbow item description they are called the Dragonslayers. I'm operating on the assumption that the Hawk Ring is correct, since Dragonslayer is Ornstein's title, not Gough's, though Gough is referenced as having killed dragons as well.
*** Capitalization in the original. The dark soul is not rendered as a proper noun in the item description.
**** Kaathe specifically uses both "progenitor" and "ancestor" in reference to the player character's relationship to the pygmy.
***** The game uses the phrase "Undead mission" to refer to a mission given to an to an Undead member of the Way of White to kindle bonfires in Lordran. It is mentioned in multiple item descriptions in this context and specifically used in reference to Petrus, Rhea, Vince, Nico, and Leeroy. Its meaning is explained in conversation by both Petrus of Thorolund and Griggs of Vinheim.

Special Thanks
JVIDICAN -
Pointed out that the guard of the Bed of Chaos boss door in Lost Izalith used Chaos Fire Whip, the description of which says it was used by the eldest Daughter of Chaos.
Mortrialus -
Pointed out that the Ring of the Sun Princess is unambiguous about Gwynevere's lineage, and that the Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard item description states Gwyn granted the Four Kings their ranks.
corrosivefrost -
Helped me clarify some of Darkstaler Kaathe's incredibly ambiguous section. I don't think anything's going to make it not sound incredibly vague, but I appreciate any effort to the contrary.
MichelKobayashi - Intrepid video game recorder whose Youtube channel helped tremendously in reviewing NPC conversations.
AND YOU

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Incendiary said:
Wow, Dark Souls is so much easier as a Sorcerer. I decided to play a Dark Souls drinking game: drink every time I die. And started a new game as a Sorcerer and man, I've only died like...three times and I've already beaten the Taurus Demon (and didn't even die against him). So much different than my thief experience.

Not sure how you are going to go through the whole game on spells.... casting time is slow and bosses press you hard and fast. Most of the time just went in sword and shield... doesnt seem to be a viable option in this game...

Incendiary said:

Well, part of it is also you know what to expect. I could breeze through the start of the game if I started a new character now, but I was getting my ass handed to me by the very first Hollowed on the Aqueduct when I first started. I almost ragequit at Undead Burg before I even reached the bonfire, a thought that's pretty funny now.

Dresden

DarkoMaledictus said:
Not sure how you are going to go through the whole game on spells.... casting time is slow and bosses press you hard and fast. Most of the time just went in sword and shield... doesnt seem to be a viable option in this game...
Sorcerors stomp every boss in the game.

Ironically they have the most trouble with small enemies that soul arrows sail right over. But then you get homing soulmass and upgrade your weapons and it's just e-z.

Zimbardo

anyone know of a divine weapon that does more damage than the GreatAxe?

@ around 52 Faith it does 700 1 hand damage.

is this the strongest Divine weapon out there?

oh, and i just want to say that Bed of Chaos is such a pain in the ass at times. just a friggin nuisance.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Incendiary said:

No, it is just you getting familiar with the pattern of the game mechanics.

My first playthrough took me 70h, but it took me only 6h for a second pyro character I created yesterday to reach Kiln, build two lightning+5 wpns, two fire+10 wpns, and only SL30.

Volcynika said:
Fuuuuuuuuuck the last boss. I can't win. :(
His close quarter swing is always a three-combo, guard the first swing then it is fairly easy to parry the second one and riposte, when he tries to grab you, just back off and toss a fireball on him.

okay so seriously FUCK
BED
OF
CHAOS

that along with centipede demon are some of the worst fights in the game. they're not even challenges of skill or intelligence. they're just SHITTY.

NBtoaster

Apparently I'm terrible at this game. 5 invasions today, all raped me.

Seems the only way I get decent damage in is with a suprise chaos fireball. After the patch i'll be even worse :(

IrishNinja

Defuser said:
I like to see you vs 4 Kings.

i dont get what the deal was with these guys; my high DEX build rolled to dodge, tagged with dual-wieleding iaito and got them all on the 2nd try (once i got their patterns down) no problem. i actually had more trouble with the twins, iron golem (kept rolling off!) and others.

ixix said:
Finally got the Platinum just now. After four and a half playthroughs I think I might finally be ready to take a break from Dark Souls.

congrats man! looking forward to reading your bibliography when im done with my first playthrough (hopefully soon, already 100 hours in haha)

Sullichin

Rabbitwork said:
okay so seriously FUCK
BED
OF
CHAOS

that along with centipede demon are some of the worst fights in the game. they're not even challenges of skill or intelligence. they're just SHITTY.

I didn't find centipede demon hard, but bed of chaos.. ugh, being swept off of the ledge you need to drop on is very annoying.

shiroryu

I'm now SL19, Sorcerer, having rung the first bell, with 19 INT, 17 ATT, 11 STR and 12 DEX. I spent some points on getting Faith to 11 to buy and use Heal, but I hardly need it. I'm still using a Spear as a melee option. Spell-wise, I have Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow, and Heavy Soul Arrow.

Would appreciate help as I go into the Depths:
-should I get Great Heavy Soul Arrow?
-should I go back to the Undead Asylum first?
-Am I behind in INT? Should I focus on INT?
-I rescued the sorcerer trainer from Lower Undead Burg, but he sells only one copy of Great Soul Arrow, which I wanted to make my staple spell instead of Soul Arrow. What gives?
-What's a good melee weapon to use as a Sorc( and sink some points into STR/DEX)? I have the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to one-hand it. I got the Partizan/Winged Spear, but will need to sink two points of STR or DEX into them as well.
-What's a good place to farm to get the 20k souls for access to Darkroot Garden farming?

scy

Sullichin said:
I didn't find centipede demon hard, but bed of chaos.. ugh, being swept off of the ledge you need to drop on is very annoying.

Worst two were being swatted mid-jump into the hole and then being Firestormed mid-swing on the boss :/

Besides those, it's been a pretty painless fight every other time I've done it.

Insaniac

shiroryu said:
I'm now SL19, Sorcerer, having rung the first bell, with 19 INT, 17 ATT, 11 STR and 12 DEX. I spent some points on getting Faith to 11 to buy and use Heal, but I hardly need it. I'm still using a Spear as a melee option. Spell-wise, I have Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow, and Heavy Soul Arrow.

Would appreciate help as I go into the Depths:
-should I get Great Heavy Soul Arrow?
-should I go back to the Undead Asylum first?
-Am I behind in INT? Should I focus on INT?
-I rescued the sorcerer trainer from Lower Undead Burg, but he sells only one copy of Great Soul Arrow, which I wanted to make my staple spell instead of Soul Arrow. What gives?
-What's a good melee weapon to use as a Sorc( and sink some points into STR/DEX)? I have the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to one-hand it. I got the Partizan/Winged Spear, but will need to sink two points of STR or DEX into them as well.
-What's a good place to farm to get the 20k souls for access to Darkroot Garden farming?

I would get great heavy soul arrow. can't ever have enough boss owning spells.

I used a long sword for a better part of my playthrough. I generally just used my spells but I usually packed a magic weapon / great magic weapon if I really needed to bust out the melee.

There several things that make being a sorcerer's life easy. First if you haven't visited the magic blacksmith in new londo ruins he sells a copy of soul arrow and heavy soul arrow.

The sorcerer you rescued from the lower burg will also sell a ring called The Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring. Farm and buy this immediately. the damage boost will let you one-shot a lot of little enemies and lets you save points in INT and put them into something else.
(however spend your first 20k on the darkroot farming area, then getting 20k more should be relatively quick)

To get to 20k I would try to get summoned to help people fight moonlight butterfly perhaps.

Later on when you go into the darkroot basin and kill the hydra, you can rescue an NPC named Dusk of Oolacile and you can get her armor. Her helm will also boost your sorc damage by 20%

(I love spellcasters and my primary char was a INT sorc so if you have more questions i'd be happy to help you out)

elty said:
Where do you find Lautrec armors in Anor Londo?

After you beat smough and ornstein go up the elevators and its on a dead body in the back of the second floor

Dresden

Rabbitwork said:
okay so seriously FUCK
BED
OF
CHAOS

Centipede wasn't bad, you need to find the sizable patch of land to fight it on.

Dresden said:
Centipede wasn't bad, you need to find the sizable patch of land to fight it on.
i actually managed to beat him after only 2 tries, but each time he would knock/pin/trap me against a wall and the camera would get jacked. it wasn't necessarily a hard fight insomuch as poorly designed imho. it just wasn't very fun.

shiroryu

Insaniac said:
I would get great heavy soul arrow. can't ever have enough boss owning spells.

I used a long sword for a better part of my playthrough. I generally just used my spells but I usually packed a magic weapon / great magic weapon if I really needed to bust out the melee.

There several things that make being a sorcerer's life easy. First if you haven't visited the magic blacksmith in new londo ruins he sells a copy of soul arrow and heavy soul arrow.

The sorcerer you rescued from the lower burg will also sell a ring called The Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring. Farm and buy this immediately. the damage boost will let you one-shot a lot of little enemies and lets you save points in INT and put them into something else.
(however spend your first 20k on the darkroot farming area, then getting 20k more should be relatively quick)

To get to 20k I would try to get summoned to help people fight moonlight butterfly perhaps.

Later on when you go into the darkroot basin and kill the hydra, you can rescue an NPC named Dusk of Oolacile and you can get her armor. Her helm will also boost your sorc damage by 20%

(I love spellcasters and my primary char was a INT sorc so if you have more questions i'd be happy to help you out)

Thanks!

Some more questions: I got Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow from the blacksmith first thing actually. Did you have 2 copies of Heavy Soul Arrow as well?

Is it worth getting Magic Shield/Magic Weapon early on?

And did you upgrade your sword to the Magic/Enchanted path? The lightning spear I've been reading about in Sen's sounds perfect, but it's still quite some time before I can get there.

Ourobolus

Banned
FINALLY took out Smough and Ornstein. Man super Ornstein was a pain, but I eventually got his patterns down. That was three days of pain. Got the Lordvessel, revived the Firelink Keeper, and killed the Stray Demon shortly after (finally, an easy boss). Made it to Sif and got beat down, but took off a hefty amount of her health...I dont think it'll be too bad. Gotta make sure to join the Forest Covenant while I'm there.

All in all, a productive night.

Insaniac

shiroryu said:
Thanks!

Some more questions: I got Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow from the blacksmith first thing actually. Did you have 2 copies of Heavy Soul Arrow as well?

Is it worth getting Magic Shield/Magic Weapon early on?

And did you upgrade your sword to the Magic/Enchanted path? The lightning spear I've been reading about in Sen's sounds perfect, but it's still quite some time before I can get there.

I bought all the spells I could so after the blacksmith and griggs of vinheim(the guy you rescued) I had 3 copies of soul arrow, 2 copies of heavy soul arrow and 1 copy of great heavy soul arrow and 1 copy of great soul arrow. I generally kept 2 copies of soul arrow, 1 great soul arrow, 1 heavy soul arrow and 1 great heavy soul arrow. (I put points in attunement to get to 5 slots) This let me use soul arrow for the little guys, great soul arrow for the slightly beefier guys and i saved heavy/great heavy only for bosses or mini bosses.

Magic weapon is good early on as it helps you stay formidable against most minion enemies and like I said if you want to conserve spells. It doesn't last too amazingly long, but use it anyways and resort to your spells later if you feel you're getting overwhelmed. magic shield is pretty useless IMO because you can get a lot of good shields that only require 10 STR (grass crest, dragon crest, etc)

I upgraded my long sword to a +4 magic sword and it was okay, but I found an Enchanted Falchion at some point in my game and I upgraded that to +4 (I think enchanted is a step above magic weapons) and so far it has sufficed as a melee weapon in New Game+. If you are going pure INT sorc you'll find you won't really use a melee weapon often as your spells will do a lot of damage.

Is 13 a good level to coop the gargoyles? I've gotten 3 hits so far but I feel like I could be getting more.

Need 3 more coops to become a sunbro

Booshka

lol Invading in Demon Ruins is so funny, so many SL glitchers with the dragon head. They all have shitty gear and poor skills, they think being level 400 is going to save them. Get a backstab then throw a Lloyd's talisman on them, they go to heal, backstab again, so dumb haha. Good to know a level 85 that knows how to play and has good gear can dominate a shitty player at level 400.

Dresden

toasty_T said:
Is 13 a good level to coop the gargoyles? I've gotten 3 hits so far but I feel like I could be getting more.

Need 3 more coops to become a sunbro
I was around 14 when my sunbro got in to the sunbros.

Also try to get as many medals there as you can so you can grab Greater Lightning Spear right away.

IrishNinja

by the by - whenever i do tie up demon ruins/izalith, is there any other way into tomb of the giants, or do i really have to wander through the catacombs again?

mudkyp

On NG++ and all that's left is to make the boss soul weapons to 100% the game. Still super in love with the game. Such great atmosphere.

Also, ixix, thanks for all the lore. Really expands the scope of the game.

Ill Saint

Trying to see what Gravelord's all about, so I use my eye thing, and get enveloped in black stuff as I wander around Anor Londo (which I haven't beaten yet), with no clue if anything is actually happening. Anyone had success with it?

sixghost

Rabbitwork said:
i actually managed to beat him after only 2 tries, but each time he would knock/pin/trap me against a wall and the camera would get jacked. it wasn't necessarily a hard fight insomuch as poorly designed imho. it just wasn't very fun.
Disagree on the Centipede Demon, but you are 100% right on the Bed of Chaos. I beat it on my first two tries in my first two NGs, then my first NG+ I got killed 5-6 times in the most cheap manner.

That fight just seems like luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom