• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booshka said:
lol Invading in Demon Ruins is so funny, so many SL glitchers with the dragon head. They all have shitty gear and poor skills, they think being level 400 is going to save them. Get a backstab then throw a Lloyd's talisman on them, they go to heal, backstab again, so dumb haha. Good to know a level 85 that knows how to play and has good gear can dominate a shitty player at level 400.

nice, wish i could see a dragon head hunting video best of where someone slaughters glitchers online.

Haunted said:
So you killed Smough first.

They literally died and disintegrated at the same time.

Speaking of Smough and Ornstein, doing this fight in coop on my alt. I love this fight, I could do it forever.

sixghost

Mortrialus said:
They literally died and disintegrated at the same time.
I wish FROM would have made you fight giant Smough and Super Ornstein at the same time for being such a smart ass.

"YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU KILL BOTH AT THE SAME TIME? THIS"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Coop with 3 phantoms on that, and just barely winning after my allies were vanquished, was my favorite moment in the game.

I'm around two hours or so into the game (far enough to not want to start over) and I've come to realize that I'd rather do a Strength Build over Dex. Now, I started as a Wanderer so I have a scimitar and my Dex is at 15 (Strength is at 10) so I'm wondering if starting over is worth it, or if a decent grinding spot will open up before long. I want to stay agile but use heavy weapons.

Dresden

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm around two hours or so into the game (far enough to not want to start over) and I've come to realize that I'd rather do a Strength Build over Dex. Now, I started as a Wanderer so I have a scimitar and my Dex is at 15 (Strength is at 10) so I'm wondering if starting over is worth it, or if a decent grinding spot will open up before long. I want to stay agile but use heavy weapons.
You want 18 dex to use one of the best (if not THE best) strength weapons available, so just keep going.

Aselith

Jimmy Stav said:

I would just start leveling your strength and leave dex where it is. You'll need some measure of dexterity to use a lot of the better weapons anyways so consider that part done for now and start to move your strength up as you continue on. You're certainly not at a point where you can't change direction anymore, it shouldn't even be hard at your level. The only thing you might consider is using a dexterity based weapon like an estoc or rapier (I think your strength may actually be a bit low for the estoc) at least until the two are even since that's a higher stat for you atm.

Booshka

Jimmy Stav said:
You'll be alright, just stop leveling Dex and work on STR, there is a really good grinding spot about 10 or so hours into the game, and most of the really good STR weapons later on require some DEX, so don't worry about it. Just work on other stats (Vitality, Endurance, Strength), and stop leveling DEX until you find a weapon you want to use that requires more DEX. If you are really focusing on STR, you can pretty much stop leveling DEX once it gets to 18.

Speevy

Banned
What determines how many souls you get from killing other players? Is it how many souls they have on them, or their level?

ixix said:
Dark Souls Bibliography Version 4

Mortrialus -
Pointed out that the Ring of the Sun Princess is unambiguous about Gwynevere's lineage, and that the Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard item description states Gwyn granted the Four Kings their ranks.

Woot! I'm in the credits. Good job as always, ixix.

sixghost said:
I wish FROM would have made you fight giant Smough and Super Ornstein at the same time for being such a smart ass.

Oh god, that would have been nightmarish.

Aselith

Booshka said:
You'll be alright, just stop leveling Dex and work on STR, there is a really good grinding spot about 10 or so hours into the game, and most of the really good STR weapons later on require some DEX, so don't worry about it. Just work on other stats (Vitality, Endurance, Strength), and stop leveling DEX until you find a weapon you want to use that requires more DEX. If you are really focusing on STR, you can pretty much stop leveling DEX once it gets to 18.

Please don't grind, Jimmy. People who grind make the baby Jesus cry. Just play the game and take your licks instead of banging away on some hapless skeleton for 10 hours so that you can make the game easy. It's really more about equipment and pattern recognition than levels and you'll have more fun in the long run. Just move into equipment as you get the stats for it naturally. You'll get plenty of souls following the path the game has laid out for you.

Speevy

Banned
Or the torso of Smough crawls up to Ornstein's body and eats it, which creates electric spider legs for the now arachnid hybrid beast.

Thanks to all who replied. So far I'm liking the game less than Demon's Souls, but my actual reasons are difficult to articulate. The framerate certainly isn't helping.

I am locking doing CooP. I wish the level restrictions were a bit less strict. 55 right now and that seems to be a good level, but any wait for this kind of sucks, especially when 15 minutes is "short." I've been tearing their asses up with my +4 Black Knight Sword. I don't think there hasn't been a single time where I didn't get the majority of the damage.

Aselith

Small Mailman said:
So I've given the Blacksmith my ember... and it says I can't ascend any of my weapons. Why?

Just keep upgrading them until they disappear from the upgrade screen then look in the modify screen. They have to be at specific levels before they can be ascended to the next level. Generally, +5 but I believe a few ascend at +6.

Aselith said:
Just keep upgrading them until they disappear from the upgrade screen then look in the modify screen. They have to be at specific levels before they can be ascended to the next level. Generally, +5 but I believe a few ascend at +6.
Ah then I guess my new question is this: how rare are dragon scales? I've found one and just used it on my Drake Sword to make it +1

Aselith

Small Mailman said:
Ah then I guess my new question is this: how rare are dragon scales? I've found one and just used it on my Drake Sword to make it +1

Only guessing here but I'd say I got 12 or so throughout the game without having used them at all so fairly rare.

Edit: Mortalius is probably right. Come to think of it, I upgraded my Dragon club to like +3 with the ones I got from a playthrough so I probably got more like 4. :p

Small Mailman said:

You can use the sparkly glitch to get 99 of them. I think there is like 8 in one play through, 5 in Ash Lake, 1 from Darkroot Basin, 1 from Valley of Drakes and 1 from Painted World. The Drakes can drop them in Valley of Drakes but they are VERY rare.

So I'm hanging out on my lvl 12 Knight dropping summon signs at gargoyles to help some people out. I'm in human form but not thinking too much of it for whatever reason. Then I suddenly get invaded! Phantoms name is <something>marbles I can't recall. Anyways it seems to start okay, he won't start fighting until we bow, etc. He is dressed in robes and seems to have a strange fist weapon.

Anyway we start fighting, and I land a few blows with my +5 longsword. Now, I'm far removed from any sort of skilled Dark Souls player, but at SL 12 a +5 longsword is pretty good, it certainly decimates PvE foes with ease. My strong attack connects and lands for a whopping 34 damage, which looks like approximately 5% of his health bar. How is this possible? Shouldn't he be +/- 10% of my level so maybe SL 14? And then I noticed he has joined the darkwraiths since he starts trying to steal humanity.

Anyways, we have a somewhat reasonable fight, though can you not parry fist weapons? After seeing my normal attack wasn't going to worry him too much I started trying to parry/riposte and I'm certain I should have landed some parries, but it just never happened :(

So I start backpeddaling up the stairs where that wooden plank bridge is (I was invaded near the bridge to the smith). He follows me up, and I'm almost out of Estus I think he's toying with me now. I can't seem to hurt him, nor parry him, while each time he hits me it's taking almost 1/3 of my life. He tries to hit me again, I roll and spin around, now suddenly I have him near the edge. I give him a kick which since he appears to be in cloth with no poise, pushes him back ALMOST far enough, he tries to move to get out of the way of a second one, but he is too close to the edge and falls to his doom.

So I guess I "won" but I don't understand how I could barely scratch him, nor parry him! :(

NBtoaster

Mortrialus said:
You can use the sparkly glitch to get 99 of them. I think there is like 8 in one play through, 5 in Ash Lake, 1 from Darkroot Basin, 1 from Valley of Drakes and 1 from Painted World. The Drakes can drop them in Valley of Drakes but they are VERY rare.

I guess thats why my Dragon Eye never finds anyone with one :(

NBtoaster said:
I guess thats why my Dragon Eye never finds anyone with one :(

The Dragon Eye is the WORST PvP item because when you use it, the person your invading has to voluntarily let you invade them to duel them for a fairly precious resource.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Futureman said:
really basic newb question, but I only had like 500 Souls yesterday and sat at a fire to check out the leveling up as I haven't messed with it yet (I'm right in the beginning, just beat the Taurus Demon). I basically couldn't level any stat up, nor did it say how many souls each stat needs to level up.

There's the "SoulsReq" thing (I think that's what it is), but it says 0 for everything. How do you know how many souls to the next level for a stat?

without the patch, the wiki shows what souls you need per level, it increases in a controlled way. Or if you're about to go on a run to level up, just remember how many it took last time, and next time add a few.

Aselith

Oracle Dragon said:
So I'm hanging out on my lvl 12 Knight dropping summon signs at gargoyles to help some people out. I'm in human form but not thinking too much of it for whatever reason. Then I suddenly get invaded! Phantoms name is <something>marbles I can't recall. Anyways it seems to start okay, he won't start fighting until we bow, etc. He is dressed in robes and seems to have a strange fist weapon.

Anyway we start fighting, and I land a few blows with my +5 longsword. Now, I'm far removed from any sort of skilled Dark Souls player, but at SL 12 a +5 longsword is pretty good, it certainly decimates PvE foes with ease. My strong attack connects and lands for a whopping 34 damage, which looks like approximately 5% of his health bar. How is this possible? Shouldn't he be +/- 10% of my level so maybe SL 14? And then I noticed he has joined the darkwraiths since he starts trying to steal humanity.

Anyways, we have a somewhat reasonable fight, though can you not parry fist weapons? After seeing my normal attack wasn't going to worry him too much I started trying to parry/riposte and I'm certain I should have landed some parries, but it just never happened :(

So I start backpeddaling up the stairs where that wooden plank bridge is (I was invaded near the bridge to the smith). He follows me up, and I'm almost out of Estus I think he's toying with me now. I can't seem to hurt him, nor parry him, while each time he hits me it's taking almost 1/3 of my life. He tries to hit me again, I roll and spin around, now suddenly I have him near the edge. I give him a kick which since he appears to be in cloth with no poise, pushes him back ALMOST far enough, he tries to move to get out of the way of a second one, but he is too close to the edge and falls to his doom.

So I guess I "won" but I don't understand how I could barely scratch him, nor parry him! :(

Was he wearing these robes?

GoldTrimmedBlackRobeset.jpg

And this weapon? (One on the right?)

weapon_darkhand.jpg

Those would be pretty powerful items for your level so most likely he was the alt of an experienced player that tricked out his character by going to much higher level areas to get good gear that he could still wear.

Here's the info on the two sets of items. As you can see they are quite potent with no real stats needed.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dark-hand

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/gold-hemmed-black-set

Gold-hemmed black set is very good even at the end of the game so I'd imagine it would be quite insane at level 12.

def sim

There's no drawback though. Loser loses nothing, winner gains a scale. If the game told everyone that outright, a lot more people would probably be participating.

NBtoaster

Mortrialus said:
The Dragon Eye is the WORST PvP item because when you use it, the person your invading has to voluntarily let you invade them to duel them for a fairly precious resource.

I thought it was weird that it was leaving a summon sign :/

But I want my dragon body :(

Aselith said:
Was he wearing these robes?

And this weapon? (One on the right?)

No, it wasn't those robes, it was mix/match he had no helm that I noticed, I'm not sure which set it was (may be the red set from Blighttown) but it wasn't Gold Hemmed. The first weapon looked a lot like the other picture you have, though it was hard to tell since its all only red/black.

Where do I go now? I'm at the Valley of the Drakes and I opened a gate that got me back to Fire Link. Im now a nasty Pyromancer but where the hell do I go to ring the 2nd bell?

Also, no glitching for me :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Small Mailman said:
Where do I go now? I'm at the Valley of the Drakes and I opened a gate that got me back to Fire Link. Im now a nasty Pyromancer but where the hell do I go to ring the 2nd bell?

Also, no glitching for me :)

blighttown. You can get there from valley of the drakes, across the wooden planks from the fire link shrine shortcut.

mrklaw said:
blighttown. You can get there from valley of the drakes, across the wooden planks from the fire link shrine shortcut.
Yeah I walked through there starting from the depths, I never want to go back. Where in Blighttown exactly?

IrishNinja

what specifically did you guys use your scales for? i put almost all of mine into the Drake until i finally got something built better, no real use for them now though. even the dragonslayer bow uses twinkling.

Mortrialus said:

how does the snuggly glitch work? i saw he can give slabs of some colors, kinda tempting...also, if i can find 1 pendant and get all the souvenirs that'd be cool.

oh, and knowing how the dragon thing works now - ive never really seen a sigil (ive mostly left the ones i had in my bottomless box, if that works?), but if i ever do, ill accept knowing how it works now.

IrishNinja said:
what specifically did you guys use your scales for? i put almost all of mine into the Drake until i finally got something built better, no real use for them now though. even the dragonslayer bow uses twinkling.

how does the snuggly glitch work? i saw he can give slabs of some colors, kinda tempting...also, if i can find 1 pendant and get all the souvenirs that'd be cool.

oh, and knowing how the dragon thing works now - ive never really seen a sigil (ive mostly left the ones i had in my bottomless box, if that works?), but if i ever do, ill accept knowing how it works now.

1. Get to Sparkly's nest.
2. Lay down what you want to trade.
3. Log off. Log Back in.
4. BEFORE you pick up the item Sparkly traded, drop another copy of the item you previously traded.
5. Pick up the item Sparkly gave you. Do NOT pick up the item you've traded for a second time.
6. Log off. Log Back in.
7. Repeat until satisfied.

The Snuggly trick requires that you drop the trade-able item in the nest. Quit then reload and then dropping another one of the item that you originally traded for before you pick up your item to keep the cycle going.

So drop -> reload -> drop -> pick up trade item -> reload -> drop ...

Got enough twinkling titanite to fully upgrade my black knight armour in a few minutes doing this

NBtoaster

IrishNinja said:

I want them for the Path of the Dragon covenant. You get a dragon head (literally) that lets you breathe fire, its power dependent on the dragon scales you give. After 30 you get a dragon body.

NBtoaster said:
I want them for the Path of the Dragon covenant. You get a dragon head (literally) that lets you breathe fire, its power dependent on the dragon scales you give. After 30 you get a dragon body.

The dragon body gives you a shockwave that pushes enemies back and temporarily boosts your melee damage by 25% for about 10 seconds.

IrishNinja

aw, crap...so id need 2 pendants, or fully upgraded pyro flames. nuts to that! guess ill just have to find these things on the next playthrough.

Someone recommend me a weapon please!

It's time for me to replace that Drake Sword. I want a weapon with reasonable attack speed that will absolutely devastate people after I pour all my stats and upgrades into it.

Rolling Sorcerer with high Int and Str.

LowEndTorque said:
Someone recommend me a weapon please!

It's time for me to replace that Drake Sword. I want a weapon with reasonable attack speed that will absolutely devastate people after I pour all my stats and upgrades into it.

Rolling Sorcerer with high Int and Str.

You can't beat Lightning weapons. Lightning Great Scythe is pretty good.

I went with the Gravelord Sword to replace my Drake Sword.

sixghost said:

That really seems like something they would do, too!

Kweh

Where do I go when I get to Anor Londo? I beat the gargoyle, which seems to be a dead end, and the only other route I can go ends up at a sealed entrance with gold mist?

pmj

Gravelord Nito. Complete pushover by himself. 10 reviving skeletons all around you, with attacks that home in on you. 20 frames per second. Long and annoying walk to the boss. No divine weapon. No fun.

Kweh said:
Where do I go when I get to Anor Londo? I beat the gargoyle, which seems to be a dead end, and the only other route I can go ends up at a sealed entrance with gold mist?
After you take the elevator down, drop down on the ledge on your left and walk across the narrow walkway to the building on your left.

Kweh said:
To the left of where you emerge you can drop down to another walkway. After that, walk into the buttress that leads up to the building to the left of where you walk out to face the gargoyle.

Is there any truth to this
"the bed of chaos was created by izilith to replace the first flame, but it ended up becoming a demon and it is the source of all demons in that land, izlith gets absorbed by it, and her daughters get turned into spider demons, except one, who is&#65279; the second pyromancy teacher"
found it really interesting.

GhostRidah said:
Is there any truth to this
"the bed of chaos was created by izilith to replace the first flame, but it ended up becoming a demon and it is the source of all demons in that land, izlith gets absorbed by it, and her daughters get turned into spider demons, except one, who is&#65279; the second pyromancy teacher"
found it really interesting.

Spoiler tag that shit, son. And yes. Not only that, but with a little deduction, you can figure out that
The chaos flame transformed the Witch of Izalith INTO the Bed of Chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom