• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyubajin

Amazing job ixix! The story behind many of the events and deeds in the game is still so vaguely explored, it's a shame. I don't think we'll ever get more backstory by FROM so this compilation is as good as it gets.

Haunted

pmj said:
Gravelord Nito. Complete pushover by himself. 10 reviving skeletons all around you, with attacks that home in on you. 20 frames per second. Long and annoying walk to the boss. No divine weapon. No fun.
There's your problem.

Greatsword of Artorias or Astora's Straight Sword and the motherfuckers stay down.

Astora's Straight Sword is very easy to get, a player is literally able to get it in the first 3 minutes after arriving at Firelink Shrine (provided you have the Master Key).

So I heard great magic shield to get 100% defense on the whole body is the way to go nowadays... cool.

Anyways, I just got invaded by someone who, yet again, used great magic shield. I TWOP'd his ass and after 8 slashes of greataxe slowly moving him to the edge in the forest, I switched to talisman and homerun'd him away with wrath of god.

Can't 100% defense that death fall trigger eh? >:C

So, trolling with the Ring of Fog nets you quite a lot of souls, I've probably gotten 350k worth in the past 2 days in the forest covenant area. Sneaking up on people with that ring is amazing, patch 1.04 won't ruin this fun.

pmj

Haunted said:
There's your problem.

Greatsword of Artorias or Astora's Straight Sword and the motherfuckers stay down.

Astora's Straight Sword is very easy to get, a player is literally able to get it in the first 3 minutes after arriving at Firelink Shrine (provided you have the Master Key).
I might actually have the Astora sword, but if I do it's not upgraded. I was an idiot for not taking a hint and getting a weapon for skeletons after the problems the catacombs caused me, but when I had found all necromancers I forgot all about it.

What's annoying is that killing Nito is just within reach as it is. He's weak to my Furu Sword and I've got him down to less than half health twice, but eventually I get cornered by skeletons and it's game over. No doubt if I only played a bit better, or had a bit more luck, I could do it.

But I'll make this an excuse to leave and explore Great Hollow and Ash Lake first. I completely missed those areas.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pmj said:
Gravelord Nito. Complete pushover by himself. 10 reviving skeletons all around you, with attacks that home in on you. 20 frames per second. Long and annoying walk to the boss. No divine weapon. No fun.

After you take the elevator down, drop down on the ledge on your left and walk across the narrow walkway to the building on your left.
You don't have to the aggro the big skeletons. The little ones shouldn't be an issue, right? They go down in a swipe or two?

Just stay in the area you fall into and it's happy joy happy.

So, I entered the Catacombs at level 14/15. I exit at level 20 with the Rite of Kindling, Mask of the Father and Gravelord Covenant. I have a couple of questions:

I wanted to try out the Gravelord Covenant stuff. Am I too high leveled at SL 20 for PVP stuff in Lower Undead Burg?

Does the Rite of Kindling allow you to Kindle bonfires beyond 10 Estus Flask? If so, that's awesome! What is the maximum number of Estus you can get at a bonfire?

Does the equip load bonus of Mask of the Father increase if you upgrade the item?

Thanks!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Rabbitwork said:
i actually managed to beat him after only 2 tries, but each time he would knock/pin/trap me against a wall and the camera would get jacked. it wasn't necessarily a hard fight insomuch as poorly designed imho. it just wasn't very fun.

Yeah camera and lock on that unlocks at a certain distances really screws you on certain fights...

hydrophilic attack said:
So, I entered the Catacombs at level 14/15. I exit at level 20 with the Rite of Kindling, Mask of the Father and Gravelord Covenant. I have a couple of questions:

I wanted to try out the Gravelord Covenant stuff. Am I too high leveled at SL 20 for PVP stuff in Lower Undead Burg?

Don't think you're too high a level but the gravelord stuff is kind of borked. It barely ever works as it should.

hydrophilic attack said:
Does the Rite of Kindling allow you to Kindle bonfires beyond 10 Estus Flask? If so, that's awesome! What is the maximum number of Estus you can get at a bonfire?
Yeah, 20 is the max.

hydrophilic attack said:
Does the equip load bonus of Mask of the Father increase if you upgrade the item?

Nope.

So I'm in my first playthough and I just whacked a Black Knight in Darkroot Basin who dropped what looks to be a pretty nice Black Knight Halberd. Is this a solid weapon to use? I'd have to boost my STR quite a bit to use it (I've been more DEX so far) but I've been using pole weapons so far so I like the basic Halberd moveset.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Brass Armor set is boss. Having hit a serious wall against Ornstein/Smough, chose to finally kill Sif, got the Darkwood Grain ring, went back and got Peculiar Doll, defeated Stray Demon, made it to the bonfire in the Painted World.

This game is just incredible. Seriously. It is my favorite game of this gen, easy.

Question: best place to farm Demon Titanite??

TheFightingFish said:
So I'm in my first playthough and I just whacked a Black Knight in Darkroot Basin who dropped what looks to be a pretty nice Black Knight Halberd. Is this a solid weapon to use? I'd have to boost my STR quite a bit to use it (I've been more DEX so far) but I've been using pole weapons so far so I like the basic Halberd moveset.

Black Knight Halberd is a good weapon, works really well for my str based character. Not sure how good it would be for dex. Seems to be one of the few weapons that scaling works properly for.

bob_arctor said:
Brass Armor set is boss. Having hit a serious wall against Ornstein/Smough, chose to finally kill Sif, got the Darkwood Grain ring, went back and got Peculiar Doll, defeated Stray Demon, made it to the bonfire in the Painted World.

This game is just incredible. Seriously. It is my favorite game of this gen, easy.

Question: best place to farm Demon Titanite??

Best (only) place is the respawning Demon in Lost Izalith next to the shortcut door you unlock with the Chaos Covenant. He drops 2 every time you kill him. Theres a bunch of non respawning demons in the basement of Sens Fortress as well in case you missed them.

Does anyone else have trouble summoning people on the PS3? It seems like every time I try, it just says "Summoning Failed" after a few minutes. I've played the majority of the game by myself and it would be nice to actually play with other people.

Or is the mystical 1.04 patch suppose to fix that.

You might want to look into what your NAT type is on your ps3. Type 2 is the best, the others could cause problems. I'm on 2, I get the odd summoning failed but 90% of the time it works fine. Strangely I kept getting summoning failed with one dude the other day but I kept trying and it worked on the fifth attempt or so.

tha_devil

Finished the game :D im so proud of myself since i never really got into demons souls. I must say i had the most troubles at the beginning, only when i knew how to get the drake sword it got a little bit easier. I started as a melee, heavy tank warrior, but later started focussing on pyromancy. It makes life so much easier, the bosses later in the game were really easy, a few great chaos fireballs and they go down in no time.

Just in time finished, because uncharted will arrive tomorrow, than il complete that before skyrim and assassins creed arrive.

Booshka said:
lol Invading in Demon Ruins is so funny, so many SL glitchers with the dragon head. They all have shitty gear and poor skills, they think being level 400 is going to save them. Get a backstab then throw a Lloyd's talisman on them, they go to heal, backstab again, so dumb haha. Good to know a level 85 that knows how to play and has good gear can dominate a shitty player at level 400.

lol yeah. I've beaten out PvP spec'ed 400+ in the Kiln... they think that their lvl makes them better. Not if they don't know how to fight my Zwie. :)

Zeth

Just started a new character and I think I want to focus on sorcery. I just opened the door to the farming area in darkroot and I want to boost a few levels. I'm just looking for general advice. Here are my stats, hopefully I haven't wasted too many points:

Xdd6q.jpg

From what I've gathered from my original Dex build that I've somewhat abandoned, I can use elemental weapons to hit just as hard as my laito that scaled with DEX only without the point investment.

edit: I think I started as a bandit or wanderer which might not have been optimal. I made it to Anor Londo with only a few points in Vit on my main character so I should be ok for now. I guess I need mainly INT and Attunement. Possibly some END?

Eccocid

A big fuck you to Blighttown.

Finally got access to it last night. Sl 30 pyromancer. I just peeked in to level. The welcoming parade raped me and made me fell to death. then i put stone and got summoned. 3 man party and i was behind all the time checking the level and to see whats waiting for me. Ugh.. No way i am playing that area solo lol. I have terrible sense of direction and mobs seems so powerful for me.

We reached to boss and host died so i went back to my own world and decided to farm till SL 40 i think hehe.

Oh and side note. I decided to invade for the first time at around bonfire in Depths. I don't understand. since i was at around 25 ppl, ppl i invaded have to be max 35 but they were wearing all those fancy gear that i haven't seen before in the game... I felt like i am missing so many stuff.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Eccocid said:
A big fuck you to Blighttown.

Finally got access to it last night. Sl 30 pyromancer. I just peeked in to level. The welcoming parade raped me and made me fell to death. then i put stone and got summoned. 3 man party and i was behind all the time checking the level and to see whats waiting for me. Ugh.. No way i am playing that area solo lol. I have terrible sense of direction and mobs seems so powerful for me.

We reached to boss and host died so i went back to my own world and decided to farm till SL 40 i think hehe.

Oh and side note. I decided to invade for the first time at around bonfire in Depths. I don't understand. since i was at around 25 ppl, ppl i invaded have to be max 35 but they were wearing all those fancy gear that i haven't seen before in the game... I felt like i am missing so many stuff.

You can actually bypass undead burg, cathedral, deeps, most of blightown with the master key... great for a second play through!

Eccocid

DarkoMaledictus said:
You can actually bypass undead burg, cathedral, deeps, most of blightown with the master key... great for a second play through!

I got master key as a gift tho! It seemed like a better choice then getting some buffs as a gift

Are spells terribly important in this game? I never used any in Demon's Souls and had no trouble beating the game. I did use that miracle that gave you an extra life, however. When can I get that ability (or was it a "miracle"?)?

K' Dash

aaaand CREDITS ROLL!!!

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I finished it, I tought of moving on to other games, but this thread kept me going, thanks to all the people who helped me directly and those who posted tips and techniques, that helped me indirectly.

I'm gonna take a break and play something relaxing now.

what the FUCK?!

I was in the Cat Covenant area then all of a sudden out of nowhere I get awarded 2000 souls and all the Cat Covenant hunters turned hostile against me....BULLSHIT i didn't attack any of them. Guess I have no hope of getting the fog ring now because of that stupid glitch...

Jimmy Stav said:
Are spells terribly important in this game? I never used any in Demon's Souls and had no trouble beating the game. I did use that miracle that gave you an extra life, however. When can I get that ability (or was it a "miracle"?)?

They're very powerful. If you're wanting to do a melee character I'd advise getting into pyromancy as you can make it very strong without having to dedicate any of your stats to it. It just takes souls to level up the glove. It's always useful to have as a backup and iron flesh is great for a melee character (until the patch anyway).

No second chance miracle in this game.

Air Zombie Meat said:
They're very powerful. If you're wanting to do a melee character I'd advise getting into pyromancy as you can make it very strong without having to dedicate any of your stats to it. It just takes souls to level up the glove. It's always useful to have as a backup and iron flesh is great for a melee character (until the patch anyway).

No second chance miracle in this game.

Well, shit. Will pyromancy be available to me eventually in spite of having started as a Wanderer?

Jimmy Stav said:
Well, shit. Will pyromancy be available to me eventually in spite of having started as a Wanderer?

Yeah, any type of character can learn pyromancy. You just need to speak to the trainers and buy a glove. The first one is stuck in a barrel in the depths. Roll into him to free him, don't attack.

Varna

Jimmy Stav said:

Available to anyone with any kind of stats. The 'catalyst' you use to cast it was determines effectiveness and there is only one... so it all depends on how many upgrades you want to do (souls are easy enough to obtain later on).

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, any type of character can learn pyromancy. You just need to speak to the trainers and buy a glove. The first one is stuck in a barrel in the depths. Roll into him to free him, don't attack.

Wait, immediately after the first starting area? I remember seeing what looked like an enemy in a jar and I definitely killed it. Shit.

scy

Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, immediately after the first starting area? I remember seeing what looked like an enemy in a jar and I definitely killed it. Shit.

No, he'll speak to you when you enter the room so it's hard to kill him without knowing he's there; just be sure to ROLL into the barrel, not swing at it. The Depths are quite a bit from the start if you're a non-Mastery Key character:
it's essentially the fourth area you're meant to head to. Undeadburg -> Undead Parish -> Lower Undeadburg [Capra Demon] -> The Depths

Septimius

Frickin' JAP only Demon's Souls dynamic theme :<

Managed to make a Japanese PSN account, but I can't add funds to it. And it's only a silly 200 dynamic theme :<

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
LowEndTorque said:
what the FUCK?!

I was in the Cat Covenant area then all of a sudden out of nowhere I get awarded 2000 souls and all the Cat Covenant hunters turned hostile against me....BULLSHIT i didn't attack any of them. Guess I have no hope of getting the fog ring now because of that stupid glitch...

There's still a way you can get the Fog Ring.
Trade the Lantern you get in the Tomb of Giants to the crow at Undead Asylum for one. Obviously you should either finish the Tomb or secure an alternate light source first.

Jimmy Stav said:

I doubt that was him, he's not really close to the starting area. He's in The Depths which you don't get the key to until you kill the Capra Demon boss.

maomaoIYP

Jimmy Stav said:

You're thinking about demon's souls' second chance, it's not in this game, you don't really need it.

Varna

DigitalDevil said:
Is the ring of favor and protection worth it? The bonuses sound very attractive but having only one swappable ring slot does not.

Thoughts?

I think so yes. The HP and Stamina bonus is incredible. With 40 endurance you can wear almost any kind of armor and stay under 50% load. I get around the other ring slot problem by only carrying around rings I use constantly so it's pretty fast to swap them out as needed.

Septimius

DigitalDevil said:
Is the ring of favor and protection worth it? The bonuses sound very attractive but having only one swappable ring slot does not.

Thoughts?

It's the best ring in the game, if we're not looking at a specific setup. Arguably, Dark Wood Grain Ring can be important too, but if you sport <25% equipment load instead, you lose out basically no resistance, but gain way more survivability from the HP you get, over the resistance you lose.

I always use it. It's not worse than reaching NG+ and just killing him right off the bat to get a new of the same ring.

IrishNinja

yeah, i miss the ring of favor & protection - but covetous is a must if you're going for rare shit/trophies, and once i got the flip ring, it was over. i plan on switching out the former later when i have all the chunks/etc i need, but it's prolly gonna be for the poise ring again.

DigitalDevil said:

Thoughts?

Way more than worth it. For my SL120 PvP character I use both that and the mask of the mother and Havel's Ring because multipliers are multiplied not added together. So pairing Havel and Favor gets you a 80% increase rather than a 70% increase. I have 66 End and 47 Vit and I have 2012 HP and 180 equip load. I'm wearing 42.5 worth of weight in gear and I'm still under 25%. It is definitely worth it. And my HP is above what you can get with 99 Vitality despite having only 47 thanks to the pairing of the mask of the mother and the favor ring which gives me 38% more health combined rather than 35%.

Septimius

Zeth said:
Just started a new character and I think I want to focus on sorcery. I just opened the door to the farming area in darkroot and I want to boost a few levels. I'm just looking for general advice. Here are my stats, hopefully I haven't wasted too many points:

http://i.imgur.com/Xdd6q.jpg[img]

From what I've gathered from my original Dex build that I've somewhat abandoned, I can use elemental weapons to hit just as hard as my laito that scaled with DEX only without the point investment.

edit: I think I started as a bandit or wanderer which might not have been optimal. I made it to Anor Londo with only a few points in Vit on my main character so I should be ok for now. I guess I need mainly INT and Attunement. Possibly some END?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Remember that a DEX build might be very viable for a caster, since you cast faster up to 45 DEX, which will also make you a MEAN DEX machine. That's what I'm currently making. Just never add a point in RES, get some END, and ATT, then INT is of course a follower if you're a sorcerer.

At 40 DEX a +15 will HEAVILY out-damage at +5 lightning katana, or whatever, AND you can cast crystal enchantment on it. I think that might lead to the best damage in the game.

IrishNinja

Septimius said:
Still really sad that Demon's Souls dynamic theme is JAP only and having no way of obtaining it. Why FROM? :<

got a link to it? i gotta see that!
using a fan-made dynamic one for dark souls right now, same image that comes up when you're loading the game though. i wish it was the guy facing the campfire like the EU or whatever cover, i think it's a better image.

mudkyp

Zeth said:

edit: I think I started as a bandit or wanderer which might not have been optimal. I made it to Anor Londo with only a few points in Vit on my main character so I should be ok for now. I guess I need mainly INT and Attunement. Possibly some END?

If you want a character that's focused on sorcery, it's really best that you start with a sorcerer. You start with a higher attunement stat and start with 30 soul arrows. But if you want to keep that character, then start pumping up int (and possibly end, i like to block and fast roll so I boosted end to 40 pretty quickly). I beat the game as a sorcerer with only 10 Vit and had little trouble with the game.

IrishNinja

aw, hell nah - that looks like it'd replace my Yakuza 4 and old-school sega ones! i'm assuming we can't just find it on the japanese PSN store? id ask if it's hosted anywhere online but i guess official ones never really break out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom