• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Septimius said:
At 40 DEX a +15 will HEAVILY out-damage at +5 lightning katana, or whatever, AND you can cast crystal enchantment on it. I think that might lead to the best damage in the game.

Yeah, pretty much. Basically, the two Hybrid (well, four) builds will probably be the best options. STR Faith, DEX Faith, STR INT, DEX INT. Unless the community decides for the PvP range to being sub-SL100. +15 Weapons with Sunlight Blade/Darkmoon Blade (Faith) or Crystal Magic Weapon w/ Crystal Soulmass (INT) is just too good, really; it's not like pure STR/DEX provides anything better than those two builds.

ixix said:
There's still a way you can get the Fog Ring.
Trade the Lantern you get in the Tomb of Giants to the crow at Undead Asylum for one. Obviously you should either finish the Tomb or secure an alternate light source first.

There is hope! ty.

Any clue on where I might be able to
secure an alternate light source?

IrishNinja

LowEndTorque said:
There is hope! ty.

Any clue on where I might be able to
secure an alternate light source?

Cast light spell works, im looking for the sunlight maggot helm in Izalith first, myself.

Septimius said:
At 40 DEX a +15 will HEAVILY out-damage at +5 lightning katana, or whatever, AND you can cast crystal enchantment on it. I think that might lead to the best damage in the game.

totally what i did, cant wait for the patch for proper scaling. i like adding fire to it as a bonus.

scy said:
Yeah, pretty much. Basically, the two Hybrid (well, four) builds will probably be the best options. STR Faith, DEX Faith, STR INT, DEX INT. Unless the community decides for the PvP range to being sub-SL100. +15 Weapons with Sunlight Blade/Darkmoon Blade (Faith) or Crystal Magic Weapon w/ Crystal Soulmass (INT) is just too good, really; it's not like pure STR/DEX provides anything better than those two builds.

Of course the downfall to that is that you have to sacrifice points to put into your scaling stat + the amount required for the weapon miracle/sorcery you chose to use. If you are going pure melee and don't plan on using miracles or sorceries anyways, then Lightning and Fire are a better way to go because you only need to put enough str/dex/int/faith as you need and then the rest can go into Vit and End for health and armor resistance/poise. +15 and weapon buffs are best for lighter more glass cannon style builds that plan on one-shotting people.

scy

GodlyPerfection said:
Of course the downfall to that is that you have to sacrifice points to put into your scaling stat + the amount required for the weapon miracle/sorcery you chose to use. If you are going pure melee and don't plan on using miracles or sorceries anyways, then Lightning and Fire are a better way to go because you only need to put enough str/dex/int/faith as you need and then the rest can go into Vit and End for health and armor resistance/poise. +15 and weapon buffs are best for lighter more glass cannon style builds that plan on one-shotting people.

Except Lightning/Fire do far less damage compared to these in 1.04 (and even in 1.03, really). At the SL110-120 range, we're still talking about a 40-50 VIT, 40 END build. And SL110-120 is about the target goal anyway.

Lightning+5 is 288/288. Claymore +15 is 362/0 and 362/309 at 34 STR, 10 DEX, 30 Faith; upping it to 40 Faith makes it 362/342.

The gains for 50 VIT+ are minimal and, honestly, 40+ END is a waste due to the lack of Stamina gain. Ring of Favor and Protection + Mother's Mask basically trumps any amount of HP boosts for 50+ VIT and both offer the greatest survivability for their slots.

Edit: Though, if we're aiming at lower SL range PvP (i.e., 60-70) ... then yeah, that's basically just Lightning/Fire domination with 40 VIT/40 END builds. At the 110+ range, we're talking about basically every option beating out Lightning/Fire.

sixghost

scy said:
Except Lightning/Fire do far less damage compared to these in 1.04 (and even in 1.03, really). At the SL110-120 range, we're still talking about a 40-50 VIT, 40 END build. And SL110-120 is about the target goal anyway.

Lightning+5 is 288/288. Claymore +15 is 362/0 and 362/309 at 34 STR, 10 DEX, 30 Faith; upping it to 40 Faith makes it 362/342.

The gains for 50 VIT+ are minimal and, honestly, 40+ END is a waste due to the lack of Stamina gain. Ring of Favor and Protection + Mother's Mask basically trumps any amount of HP boosts for 50+ VIT and both offer the greatest survivability for their slots.

Edit: Though, if we're aiming at lower SL range PvP (i.e., 60-70) ... then yeah, that's basically just Lightning/Fire domination with 40 VIT/40 END builds. At the 110+ range, we're talking about basically every option beating out Lightning/Fire.
Can you explain what you mean here? Why would a Claymore scale with faith? Are you referring to the lightning resin spell?

I think I'm going to Dragon Head my current character to max so I can test out the fancy weapons and restart with a new character. My stats spread is poopy. I wasted five levels in Resistance before I realized it was useless, even!

scy said:

My SL120 PvP build runs 2012 HP with only 47 Vit. I also have 180 pre-patch (190 post-patch) equip load. I always run under 25% so I can have gear up to about 43 weight, which gives me enough to where the top resistance gear and my Zwie + Grass Crest on my back. This is paired with Havel's Ring + Ring of Favor. I run a 2-handed Zwie +10 Fire with a base damage of 728. With 192 Stamina I can weak attack 4 times before having to regen which is enough to kill everyone if they don't have the poise (about 70+) to avoid the stun lock. I could get more Health and have a more optimized build, but I do some PvE here and there so I have 24 str instead of 16 and 14 int for some random sorceries.

We still don't have 1.4, but I've already got my setup worked out for 1.4. I've dueled hundreds of players already and the damage I put out is enough to keep me ahead... probably because of the stagger caused by the Zwie. There are a ton of factors that go into it and in the end it is all a matter of your build, gear, and preference.

EDIT: While I can agree that normally extra points in Vit wouldn't matter, when paired with the Mask of the Mother and the Ring of Favor the 38% more health is a HUGE difference especially with a ton of people running around with the Hornet's Ring and Bandit's Knife. I have more health than you can get with Vit 99. And I have no need for the Darkwood Grain because I'm already under 25%.

IrishNinja

goddamn, GodlyPerfection has me rethinking some of my build here. totally justifies my wanting to wear the ring for poise, but id have to wear havels to get my #'s < 25% to roll - iaito, elite knight +9 head/armor with ornstein's leggings & gauntlet, i wanna say. i think that stunlock is what fucked me in the last PvP.

IrishNinja said:
goddamn, GodlyPerfection has me rethinking some of my build here. totally justifies my wanting to wear the ring for poise, but id have to wear havels to get my #'s < 25% to roll - iaito, elite knight +9 head/armor with ornstein's leggings & gauntlet, i wanna say. i think that stunlock is what fucked me in the last PvP.

The poise ring can make a HUGE difference when fighting a Zwie like myself. Almost every build gets staggered except dedicated Havel sets. And if you get hit once with a roll stab (which has amazing tracking btw) and are in range of my weak attack most people will die to those two hits which are normally about 1K total.

Here is a rough guide for poise btw for anyone interested. It gives decent levels to avoid particular weapons. I still have some problems with Gravelord Sword and murakumo combos, but post-patch I won't be using the skirt so I'll have enough poise to ignore the first hits.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60863465

scy

sixghost said:
Can you explain what you mean here? Why would a Claymore scale with faith? Are you referring to the lightning resin spell?

Sunlight Blade/Darkmoon Blade Enchants scale with Faith.

GodlyPerfection said:
My SL120 PvP build runs 2012 HP with only 47 Vit. I also have 180 pre-patch (190 post-patch) equip load. I always run under 25% so I can have gear up to about 43 weight, which gives me enough to where the top resistance gear and my Zwie + Grass Crest on my back. This is paired with Havel's Ring + Ring of Favor. I run a 2-handed Zwie +10 Fire with a base damage of 728.

I was going to ask why not Chaos but I think it's only a 737 so ... nevermind.

My STR Faith is slotted to go at 125 (sitting at 115 currently, debating that last 10 VIT) and should have 2000, or close enough, HP with Mask + Ring. Starting Cleric and I have 40 VIT, 40 END, 34 STR, 40 Faith. Still want to tweak what the DEX build will be (40 VIT, 40 END, 19/20 STR, 40 DEX, 30 Faith? Might have to do some sacrificing here and there) so that's been my recent priority.

I don't disagree with the Elemental weapon thing, though. I still plan to have a 50 STR (hence the 34 STR stopping point) Elemental swap over Occult, unless the scaling goes my way somehow.

Plus, the build is pretty much reliant upon the weapon buffing which is kind of a pain in the ass. Especially since the Faith Blade Enchants are single-use.

Carnby

I noticed that the strategy guide is under review on amazon.com, and they are not selling it. Has anyone heard why?

I'm in the middle in NG+ and for the second time, despite hacking her buttocks like there's no tomorrow, Priscilla doesn't drop her dagger.

Barely beating Orstein second in NG+, alone and on my first try, was awesome but overall it becomes to feel too much like a chore. Fuck it, I'm not gonna platinum this one either.

jaekwon15 said:
I noticed that the strategy guide is under review on amazon.com, and they are not selling it. Has anyone heard why?
I am guessing the upcoming patch is going to make it obsolete, but it will still be pretty!

Its funny, I wasn't even trying for priscillas tail when I got it, I just blew it off with a random fireball. Same thing happened with gaping dragons.

Have to say I'm not too keen with what From did regarding cutting tails and stuff like the O+S fight giving different rewards. It makes people not want to co-op the bosses in case someone screws it up for them.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
LowEndTorque said:
what the FUCK?!

I was in the Cat Covenant area then all of a sudden out of nowhere I get awarded 2000 souls and all the Cat Covenant hunters turned hostile against me....BULLSHIT i didn't attack any of them. Guess I have no hope of getting the fog ring now because of that stupid glitch...

Just exchange the skull lantern for it with hawk girl... easiest way!

scy said:
Sunlight Blade/Darkmoon Blade Enchants scale with Faith.

I was going to ask why not Chaos but I think it's only a 737 so ... nevermind.

My STR Faith is slotted to go at 125 (sitting at 115 currently, debating that last 10 VIT) and should have 2000, or close enough, HP with Mask + Ring. Starting Cleric and I have 40 VIT, 40 END, 34 STR, 40 Faith. Still want to tweak what the DEX build will be (40 VIT, 40 END, 19/20 STR, 40 DEX, 30 Faith? Might have to do some sacrificing here and there) so that's been my recent priority.

I don't disagree with the Elemental weapon thing, though. I still plan to have a 50 STR (hence the 34 STR stopping point) Elemental swap over Occult, unless the scaling goes my way somehow.

Plus, the build is pretty much reliant upon the weapon buffing which is kind of a pain in the ass. Especially since the Faith Blade Enchants are single-use.

Again it really depends. If I were using other miracles or sorceries I would definitely go for weapon buffs over elemental. But if you are two-handing, you only need 16 str to 2-hand the Zwie and less to 2-hand the Claymore. So being able to put your points into End and Vit to keep under 25% and keep a high HP (over 2K is preferred because most backstabs from Hornet + Bandit's are about 1K so you may be able to survive two) can give you a pretty decent advantage. I don't ever block or parry and I rarely use pyromancy in duels (I'll pop greater combustion every once in a while). So for my style I think ignoring the stat scaling works.

I'm fast, high damaging, high stagger, high resistance, and high health all built into one cute little package. lol... and it helps to not have to worry about casting those spells or worrying about running out of uses. A smart player will wait out the duration of the spells since they know they are limited use. So yeah again all about gear, build, and preference really. :) We use what we feel comfortable with amiright?

scy

GodlyPerfection said:
Again it really depends. If I were using other miracles or sorceries I would definitely go for weapon buffs over elemental. But if you are two-handing, you only need 16 str to 2-hand the Zwie and less to 2-hand the Claymore. So being able to put your points into End and Vit to keep under 25% and keep a high HP (over 2K is preferred because most backstabs from Hornet + Bandit's are about 1K so you may be able to survive two) can give you a pretty decent advantage. I don't ever block or parry and I rarely use pyromancy in duels (I'll pop greater combustion every once in a while). So for my style I think ignoring the stat scaling works.

I'm fast, high damaging, high stagger, high resistance, and high health all built into one cute little package. lol... and it helps to not have to worry about casting those spells or worrying about running out of uses. A smart player will wait out the duration of the spells since they know they are limited use. So yeah again all about gear, build, and preference really. :) We use what we feel comfortable with amiright?

Pretty much; don't get me wrong, I'm not really arguing against or anything, just like the discussion. I've been working on figuring out my ideal Hybrid Faith and INT builds to work on once I came back to Dark Souls and then EWGF goes and makes the 1.04 build topic over at GameFAQs that encompasses it all anyway :/

Preference is king, honestly. And then skill. And then build.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Its funny, I wasn't even trying for priscillas tail when I got it, I just blew it off with a random fireball. Same thing happened with gaping dragons.

Have to say I'm not too keen with what From did regarding cutting tails and stuff like the O+S fight giving different rewards. It makes people not want to co-op the bosses in case someone screws it up for them.

Argh... Salt on my wounds. But I agree, there's a good deal of bosses I wouldn't do in co-op for that reason.

I thought that the trophies were easy enough to obtain but stuff like that burns me out. Also I did a shitload of co-op to level up my sunbro covenant only to realise that I would have to do it again in NG+ since I couldn't get that last miracle on my first playthrough. And with 8 faith it's not really fun.

Usually whenever I co-op a boss with a cuttable tail, my partner does it for me. Except for Seath, had to that shit shit myself; then when the time came for me to kill him, it took little effort.

Zeth

mudkyp said:
If you want a character that's focused on sorcery, it's really best that you start with a sorcerer. You start with a higher attunement stat and start with 30 soul arrows. But if you want to keep that character, then start pumping up int (and possibly end, i like to block and fast roll so I boosted end to 40 pretty quickly). I beat the game as a sorcerer with only 10 Vit and had little trouble with the game.
Yeah maybe I'll use this character for melee, I really want to try out all the gigantic awesome weapons.

BaronLundi said:
Argh... Salt on my wounds. But I agree, there's a good deal of bosses I wouldn't do in co-op for that reason.

I thought that the trophies were easy enough to obtain but stuff like that burns me out. Also I did a shitload of co-op to level up my sunbro covenant only to realise that I would have to do it again in NG+ since I couldn't get that last miracle on my first playthrough. And with 8 faith it's not really fun.

Heh, sorry. I do have some good news though. All the sunbro stuff you've done actually carries over into NG+ so you wouldn't need to do it again.

scy said:
Pretty much; don't get me wrong, I'm not really arguing against or anything, just like the discussion. I've been working on figuring out my ideal Hybrid Faith and INT builds to work on once I came back to Dark Souls and then EWGF goes and makes the 1.04 build topic over at GameFAQs that encompasses it all anyway :/

Preference is king, honestly. And then skill. And then build.

Don't worry I don't see you arguing at all. And thanks for the heads up on the build topic it was a nice read. Who knows maybe my build will remain quite viable as the specialized build it is. :) I'm looking forward to seeing how stat scaling changes up the PvP scene post-patch.

IrishNinja

BaronLundi said:
I'm in the middle in NG+ and for the second time, despite hacking her buttocks like there's no tomorrow, Priscilla doesn't drop her dagger.

fuck. i missed her & gaping, this is my concern for ng+ since she goes invisible and i have no idea how to pull it off, even if i catch her with an arrow or two. at least she should have more life this time.

IrishNinja said:
fuck. i missed her & gaping, this is my concern for ng+ since she goes invisible and i have no idea how to pull it off, even if i catch her with an arrow or two. at least she should have more life this time.

When she goes invisible hit her with fire and she will become visible again.

roxya

Having a slither of life left and no flasks against Quelaag, with a shield that blocks only 75% fire, was fucking scary and awesome. But only because I won :D

IrishNinja

GodlyPerfection said:
When she goes invisible hit her with fire and she will become visible again.

nice - ive been hearing this, but i wanna say it didnt work for epicnamebro (youtube guy). any pyro spell in particular?

IrishNinja said:
nice - ive been hearing this, but i wanna say it didnt work for epicnamebro (youtube guy). any pyro spell in particular?

I've used both fire orb and firestorm and it works. Fire orb you have to be pretty accurate though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there a reason there's nothing behind the hydra in darkrook basin??

I just beat him but I thought there was suppose to be a golmn and a merchant here?
why is this giant cave empty? what do i do to trigger

John Harker said:
Is there a reason there's nothing behind the hydra in darkrook basin??

I just beat him but I thought there was suppose to be a golmn and a merchant here?
why is this giant cave empty? what do i do to trigger

I think you have to quit and reload to make the golem show up.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Air Zombie Meat said:
Also you need to be in human form to see it.

anything valuable here? i dont really see anything she's selling as particularly useful.
how do I get her armor? reload and go back to the cave?

John Harker said:
anything valuable here? i dont really see anything she's selling as particularly useful.
how do I get her armor? reload and go back to the cave?

Cast light and hidden body spells are pretty useful, shes the only way to get them. You can always summon her again later if you want to buy them another time. And yeah, quit and reload again to make the body with her armour on it appear in the cave.

Seeing the leaderboards for Dark Souls is depressing, as everyone at the top have been using the humanity/souls glitch.

Totally ruining the game for everyone and themselves. They should all be punished by the level 145 Black Phantoms!

>_<

MasterLeePhD said:
Seeing the leaderboards for Dark Souls is depressing, as everyone at the top have been using the humanity/souls glitch.

Totally ruining the game for everyone and themselves. They should all be punished by the level 145 Black Phantoms!

>_<

That's not entirely true. Getting 99 humanity as a Darkwraith is fairly easy since you never really lose humanity when you die. And I have 7.4 mil from legit PvPing for a day. It isn't all that hard to get.

blitzcloud said:
So I heard great magic shield to get 100% defense on the whole body is the way to go nowadays... cool.

Anyways, I just got invaded by someone who, yet again, used great magic shield. I TWOP'd his ass and after 8 slashes of greataxe slowly moving him to the edge in the forest, I switched to talisman and homerun'd him away with wrath of god.

Can't 100% defense that death fall trigger eh? >:C

How does it work?
Is there a glitch you need to do to get it to work or a specific combination you need?

Thagomizer said:
It's also fun to dick around with Hidden Weapon in PvP. People get really paranoid when they can't see what you have.

Yup, also chameleon can lead to much comedy in pvp.

See You Next Wednesday said:
How does it work?
Is there a glitch you need to do to get it to work or a specific combination you need?

It's as simple as just using the spell. I have no idea how they missed it either.

GodlyPerfection said:
That's not entirely true. Getting 99 humanity as a Darkwraith is fairly easy since you never really lose humanity when you die. And I have 7.4 mil from legit PvPing for a day. It isn't all that hard to get.
True, but seeing all these YouTube videos of people doing the cheat while I'm farming is really soul destroying.

Sorta takes the difficulty out the game making it another run-of-the-mill game.

Septimius

maomaoIYP said:
Wow that theme is gorgeous! Especially the background with the Maiden in Black dangling her feet off the edge.

I know! I have no idea why they didn't release it here. It was really hard to find in the Jap store, too, since if you search for Demonzu Soru in katakana, it doesn't show up. I did find it, but I'd have to buy a 3000 yen card for a 200 yen theme :<

MasterLeePhD said:
True, but seeing all these YouTube videos of people doing the cheat while I'm farming is really soul destroying.

Sorta takes the difficulty out the game making it another run-of-the-mill game.

Well, they can ruin their own games all they want. The only problem is that invading has no upper level limit, so yeah, you can end up running into some people like that, but other than that, eh.

Are they fixing that with the patch? They said they were patching level requirements for online play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom