• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Just beat gaping dragon on NG+ with the help of Solaire (didn't see his sign my first playthrough) and a phantom online. Co-op in this game is the best. Gaping Dragon has some cheapness though.. i feel like a couple of times it drained 80% of my health and I don't even know why.

Septimius

Sullichin said:
Just beat gaping dragon on NG+ with the help of Solaire (didn't see his sign my first playthrough) and a phantom online. Co-op in this game is the best. Gaping Dragon has some cheapness though.. i feel like a couple of times it drained 80% of my health and I don't even know why.

He's really situational with his forward rush. I always figured I'd be safe on the sides, but noooo. So I agree. He's so easy when you know to stay away from him until he's done rushing, and you can start wailing at him.

tokkun

Septimius said:
Well, they can ruin their own games all they want. The only problem is that invading has no upper level limit, so yeah, you can end up running into some people like that, but other than that, eh.

Are they fixing that with the patch? They said they were patching level requirements for online play

If you're invading, you deserve to get rolled every once in a while. If you're worried about running into a guy with 99 VIT, then pack a bleed weapon as backup. Honestly, I doubt they're really any harder than the SL120 PvP builds.

Sullichin

Septimius said:
He's really situational with his forward rush. I always figured I'd be safe on the sides, but noooo. So I agree. He's so easy when you know to stay away from him until he's done rushing, and you can start wailing at him.

Yeah I think I touched his claws by accident a couple of times, and it did more damage than most of his attacks. He's easier once you get his tail out of the way too.

First time I tried Gaping Dragon I got wrecked by his charge and one of my helper phantoms messaged me with a raging lecture about how I needed to not stand in front of him. I summoned the same guy again and this time he got caught out and killed by the exact same move. I somehow resisted the temptation to send a similar message back.

Honestly, Gaping Dragon is much easier solo, for me. His movement is so predictable, unless you have different targets running around for him to fix on.

When it's just you, you can control which way he's going to rush. Solo, it is not difficult to beat him without taking 1 hit.

Septimius

CryingWolf said:
Honestly, Gaping Dragon is much easier solo, for me. His movement is so predictable, unless you have different targets running around for him to fix on.

When it's just you, you can control which way he's going to rush. Solo, it is not difficult to beat him without taking 1 hit.

Completely agree!

tokkun said:
If you're invading, you deserve to get rolled every once in a while. If you're worried about running into a guy with 99 VIT, then pack a bleed weapon as backup. Honestly, I doubt they're really any harder than the SL120 PvP builds.

Yeah, I can't really distinguish levels that well. I'm like 70, and I kill most of those I invade. Sometimes I think "he has a tremendous amount of HP" - that was before I knew there was no level cap, though.

It's just the TWoP and fog ring (worst of all, in combination) that I can't take. Screw those guys.

I was invaded and this dude wasn't attacking and I was shooting great fireballs of chaos and it showed his health was gone but then fast forward a few seconds after and I was dead. This a glitch?

So to any Darkwraiths out there looking to up their sin level... you should hit up the Duke's Archives. Almost everyone there indicts. :) Top 50 in the Book now on the 360.

Zakkath

I remember seeing a chart with suggested area progression, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone still got that ?
I've finished Undead Parish, Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot Garden, Queelag. I'm currently exploring The Great Hollow and should be done with this soon. I've tried Sen's Fortress and Darkroot Basin (the zone with the mage and ghost knights) and I feel I'm too weak for those zone for now (SL 43) as I was being killed very fast and my attacks barely scratched the enemies. I use the Drake Sword +1 and Shadow Armor.

Septimius

GodlyPerfection said:
The poise ring can make a HUGE difference when fighting a Zwie like myself. Almost every build gets staggered except dedicated Havel sets. And if you get hit once with a roll stab (which has amazing tracking btw) and are in range of my weak attack most people will die to those two hits which are normally about 1K total.

Here is a rough guide for poise btw for anyone interested. It gives decent levels to avoid particular weapons. I still have some problems with Gravelord Sword and murakumo combos, but post-patch I won't be using the skirt so I'll have enough poise to ignore the first hits.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60863465

Fantastic stuff. Gonna up my poise.

Draft

I finally beat Ornstein and Smough, with the help of a blue phantom. If you're readying this, thanks.

That fight kind of sucks, IMO. Not that it's hard, which it is, but it seems to have a gear check component. The guides all say Ornstein is weak to fire. Don't have fire weapons? Good fucking luck.

My lightning spear +2 was hitting for about 50. 50! Per the wiki he has almost 3k HP. That's 60 hits on giant beast with huge range and a move that's damn near instant kill unless you have lots of HP.

The second phase of that fight was very frustrating to solo. But with the blue phantom, it was cake. He was using some sort of fire spell that took off a fifth of Ornstein's HP with each hit.

I'm bad at this game, but I do feel like it's kind of shitty for this boss to be a big swinging dick unless the player happened to choose fire as one of their main damage dealing methods.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Goddamnit I'm getting owned by
Four Kings
, and I can't seem to settle on a weapon. All of the weapons I like seem very specialized. Some are great for dueling humanoids 1 on 1, and some are good against larger opponents, but I don't have one that I like all-round.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Draft said:
I finally beat Ornstein and Smough, with the help of a blue phantom. If you're readying this, thanks.

That fight kind of sucks, IMO. Not that it's hard, which it is, but it seems to have a gear check component. The guides all say Ornstein is weak to fire. Don't have fire weapons? Good fucking luck.

My lightning spear +2 was hitting for about 50. 50! Per the wiki he has almost 3k HP. That's 60 hits on giant beast with huge range and a move that's damn near instant kill unless you have lots of HP.

The second phase of that fight was very frustrating to solo. But with the blue phantom, it was cake. He was using some sort of fire spell that took off a fifth of Ornstein's HP with each hit.

I'm bad at this game, but I do feel like it's kind of shitty for this boss to be a big swinging dick unless the player happened to choose fire as one of their main damage dealing methods.

Nah, Super Ornstein is just hard as fuck. Fire or Lightning, it makes little difference.

Also, Lightning Spear does Pierce damage, which is relatively weak compared to other types in my experience.

V_Arnold

Draft said:

...firebomb? :D

Zakkath said:
I remember seeing a chart with suggested area progression, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone still got that ?
I've finished Undead Parish, Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot Garden, Queelag. I'm currently exploring The Great Hollow and should be done with this soon. I've tried Sen's Fortress and Darkroot Basin (the zone with the mage and ghost knights) and I feel I'm too weak for those zone for now (SL 43) as I was being killed very fast and my attacks barely scratched the enemies. I use the Drake Sword +1 and Shadow Armor.

After ringing the second bell, Sen's Fortress would be your next place to go.
Inside, there is a chance to get a lightning spear which should be a good replacement for your Drake Sword.

Mindlog

Zakkath said:
The list.
1. Undead Asylum
2. Firelink Shrine
3. Undead Burg (Main)
4. Undead Burg (Upper)
5. Undead Parish (Outside)
6. Undead Parish (Inside of the Church)
7. Undead Burg (Basement)
8. Depths (Upper)
9. Depths (Lower)
10. Blight Town (Entrance)
11. Blight Town (Lower / Swamp Area)
12. Quelaag’s Domain
13. The Great Hollow
14. Ash Lake
15. Firelink Shrine (Revisit)
16. Undead Asylum (Revisit)
17. Sen’s Fortress (Lower / Middle Area)
18. Sen’s Fortress (Upper / Rooftop Area)
19. Anor Londo (Outside)
20. Anor Londo (Inside the Castle)
21. Painted World of Ariamis
22. Darkroot Garden
23. Darkroot Basin
24. Valley of Drakes
25. New Londo Ruins
26. The Duke’s Archives
27. Crystal Cave
28. The Catacombs (Upper area)
29. The Catacombs (Lower area)
30. Tomb of the Giants
31. Demon Ruins
32. Lost Izalith
33. Kiln of the First Flame
I copied it off ZZoram.

Again, it's just a loose guide. I would definitely recommend doing 16 before 11.

Sullichin

Draft said:

I beat them with a +5 lightning scythe. May have used some basic pyromancy like fireball, but I found that I didn't like being vulnerable and it was hard to hit them with it, so I stuck to melee. It's definitely possible. Definitely hard. one of my favorite bosses for sure.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Heh, sorry. I do have some good news though. All the sunbro stuff you've done actually carries over into NG+ so you wouldn't need to do it again.

Thanks a lot ! All I had to do was to offer the soul to receive the miracle.

Very useful info.

I'm about to go and get the Drake Sword, and I want to be prepared. Around how many arrows should I bring if I'm using a Short Bow with 15 Dex? I almost got screwed when performing a similar task in the last game.

Dresden

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm about to go and get the Drake Sword, and I want to be prepared. Around how many arrows should I bring if I'm using a Short Bow with 15 Dex? I almost got screwed when performing a similar task in the last game.
Got it in like 40 arrows. Bring double if you're so worried.

pmj

Yo Gotti said:
Nah, Super Ornstein is just hard as fuck. Fire or Lightning, it makes little difference.

Also, Lightning Spear does Pierce damage, which is relatively weak compared to other types in my experience.
I'm not sure why people keep saying this. I didn't have any trouble with Super Ornstein, his attacks are all easy to read and you don't have to worry about a second boss attacking you from behind. I mainly damaged him when he goes for his three slashes. You have plenty of time to run up to him and whack him in the legs a few times. It's the first part of the fight that's hard.

matmanx1

Just beat Seath. Even better, I managed to knock his tail off and grab the weapon in only 2 attempts! I think I got really lucky because he actually stopped thrashing long enough for 2 swipes with my Fury sword (held 2h for extra damage) to knock the tail off and for me to grab the weapon.

Of course as soon as I did that he went into full on beast mode and tail thrashed me to death but I came back on the next attempt and wrecked him with Chaos Fireballs.

The Archives and the Crystal Caves are both super cool although invisible pathways are nerve wracking. I luckily had a SunBro guide last night for getting all the loot out of the Crystal Caves who plummeted to his death right before we made the turn to go up to the boss. I felt bad about it because I wanted to help him get his medal.

Regarding Seath's Tail weapon; it seems like it would be really impressive if you had the required Int (28) for it. It's a Greatsword that only weighs 6.0 and has an A rank for Int scaling. Are there any downsides I'm not seeing? I was thinking of tailoring my build mainly to Str (currently at 26 and was going to go up to 36 most likely to be able to use most Great Shields) but it would be fairly easy to put another 10 points or so into Int so that I could use that Greatsword. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?

Draft said:

He's beatable without Fire weapons (I took him out with a Raw Zwei + 5), it just takes a LOT of power behind your hits to put a dent in him. Anor Londo/O&S is actually one of the few times I advocate getting a Raw weapon because you can easily farm the shards for it in the Depths by the bonfire, and it gives you that power you need to get past "the wall" to get to the Giant blacksmith for the really good upgrades.

matmanx1 said:
Regarding Seath's Tail weapon; it seems like it would be really impressive if you had the required Int (28) for it. It's a Greatsword that only weighs 6.0 and has an A rank for Int scaling. Are there any downsides I'm not seeing? I was thinking of tailoring my build mainly to Str (currently at 26 and was going to go up to 36 most likely to be able to use most Great Shields) but it would be fairly easy to put another 10 points or so into Int so that I could use that Greatsword. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?

The Moonlight Sword is one of the strongest weapons in the game in my opinion, but sadly you pretty much have to be an INT build to get it's full potential as it ONLY scales with INT. If you have the INT for it it deals tremendous damage though, and the R2 attack on it is absurdly good and works one handed or two handed unlike most weapons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Couple of questions:

Is the easy-kill method for the Ceaseless Discharge no longer working? I run back to the portal and he just keeps blasting me with flame instead of trying to throw is claw toward me.

Also, if I leave the Dragon Covenant, will I no longer be able to use my fire-breathing dragon head?

Zefah said:
Couple of questions:

Is the easy-kill method for the Ceaseless Discharge no longer working? I run back to the portal and he just keeps blasting me with flame instead of trying to throw is claw toward me.

Also, if I leave the Dragon Covenant, will I no longer be able to use my fire-breathing dragon head?

I just recently killed CD with the "chop his hand" tactic, it still works. I actually think it's how they intended you to defeat him.

And the Dragon Head only works if you're Path of the Dragon, if I recall correctly. EDIT: Just saw the other post above me, disregard this part. XD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm, any idea what I could be doing wrong? I aggro him and run back to the portal, but he only does his spit lava attack.

Ken said:
You can still use it.

Thanks!

Okay, I just pumped 100 arrows into the dragon's tail without killing it, so I ran back and got 60 more. Did he heal? Did I just waste a shitload of time? I didn't use the bonfire.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it (thank god).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up killing him another way. Thanks, though!

UFRA

Jimmy Stav said:
Okay, I just pumped 100 arrows into the dragon's tail without killing it, so I ran back and got 60 more. Did he heal? Did I just waste a shitload of time? I didn't use the bonfire.

Yes. He heals when he's sitting on the building. You must bring enough arrows to kill him all at one time.

Unless your arrows do good damage and you have a lot of them, I would just wait until later to kill him. He only gives you 10,000 souls and nothing else.

I just finished the Painted World of Ariamis and I'm level 67, I went back and slaughtered him in about 30 second battle lol.

Edit: I see you got it now. Were you just trying to destroy his tail to get the special item, or were you trying to kill him entirely?

scosher

Jimmy Stav said:

Should only take 20 hits or so if you have the 12 Dex requirement to use shortbow.

Are you shooting from underneath the bridge?

roxya

I just had 34000 souls after killing Iron Golem and lost them trying to get out using the elevator shortcut :( Fuck my life.

UFRA

roxya said:
I just had 34000 souls after killing Iron Golem and lost them trying to get out using the elevator shortcut :( Fuck my life.
Where did you die the second time to lose your blood stain?

Sullichin

Joined the cat covenant this time around. I hear it's fun. So i just keep this ring on and wait?
Too bad I'm missing out on the farming spot though. It's 30k in NG+!

Draft said:
I finally beat Ornstein and Smough, with the help of a blue phantom. If you're readying this, thanks. .

What? Blue phantoms can help you with bosses? But..how?!

Draft said:
I finally beat Ornstein and Smough, with the help of a blue phantom. If you're readying this, thanks. .

I'm killing forest covenanters right now, so if you're on the xbox you might run into me. Gamertag is ZombieFurbie

roxya

UFRA said:
Where did you die the second time to lose your blood stain?

Well the elevator takes you to the first swing-trap bridge, and of course the elevator opens right in front of a snake-man. So the first time, snake dude pushes me off. Now my stain is down there somewhere so I have to go get it. Go down again... now I'm in the other cage that opens right next to the enemy. I'm thinking it's best to quickly get my souls back, right? So I jump out and bam.... I get hit by the mage snake from above which pushes me off ...

Kinda funny :D but I'm just thinking about what I could have done with all those souls....

klee123

What's the best bow during end game?

I'm really considering the black bow of pharis upgraded to 15, since I'm heavily dex focused.

I was initially considering using the Darkmoon bow, but the stat modifier ratings are piss poor =(

roxya

I just dared taking on the mimic in Sens and... it walked onto the elevator and the trap at the top killed it. My loot is half way up the elevator and I can't get it? :< I don't like this place xD

Kurod

Banned
klee123 said:
What's the best bow during end game?

I'm really considering the black bow of pharis upgraded to 15, since I'm heavily dex focused.

I was initially considering using the Darkmoon bow, but the stat modifier ratings are piss poor =(
Occult longbow is great for faith builds. It's actually the only "S" rank for faith I think I've seen.

For dex I'd go for pharis.

Sullichin

Sullichin said:
Joined the cat covenant this time around. I hear it's fun. So i just keep this ring on and wait?
Too bad I'm missing out on the farming spot though. It's 30k in NG+!

Answered my own question when I got summoned into someones world and was promptly killed by their homing crystal whatever the fuck. :p

Took on people in the forest today. Beat ten invaders, including three fog ring users and two team-ups before finally falling to a crystal shield hit that only got me due to lag.

Feels good man. I shouldn't have been so hesitant to pvp, as apparently I'm at least fairly good at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom