• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft said:
I finally beat Ornstein and Smough, with the help of a blue phantom. If you're readying this, thanks.

That fight kind of sucks, IMO. Not that it's hard, which it is, but it seems to have a gear check component. The guides all say Ornstein is weak to fire. Don't have fire weapons? Good fucking luck.

My lightning spear +2 was hitting for about 50. 50! Per the wiki he has almost 3k HP. That's 60 hits on giant beast with huge range and a move that's damn near instant kill unless you have lots of HP.

The second phase of that fight was very frustrating to solo. But with the blue phantom, it was cake. He was using some sort of fire spell that took off a fifth of Ornstein's HP with each hit.

I'm bad at this game, but I do feel like it's kind of shitty for this boss to be a big swinging dick unless the player happened to choose fire as one of their main damage dealing methods.

female undead merchant sells charcoal resin. turns any weapon to fire, 500 souls a pop.

as for your lightning spear, don't know what to tell you. upgrade it?

Booshka

Sullichin said:
Just got destroyed by that homing crystal spell again, seems like the most powerful thing in the game lol.
I think so, I got one shot by it and had over 1700 HP the other day. It is pretty easy to dodge, but if the connection is laggy, you can get hit by it even though it looks like you clearly dodged it. That's what happened to me. It's a really shitty spell, just auto homing and totally passive, I hate having to deal with it in PvP.

Sullichin

Booshka said:
I think so, I got one shot by it and had over 1700 HP the other day. It is pretty easy to dodge, but if the connection is laggy, you can get hit by it even though it looks like you clearly dodged it. That's what happened to me. It's a really shitty spell, just auto homing and totally passive, I hate having to deal with it in PvP.

Yeah it seemed impossible to dodge, I haven't gone against it enough to tell if its lag or I'm just not dodging it correctly.

So...anywhere for me to get a white titanite slab without going to tomb of giants?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So, I'm like SL24, just got me the Antiquated Skirt after killing the Hydra in the Basin, but im still more or less on Upper Blighttown to give you a sense of where I am story-wise. I'm still using the Drake sword though. What really should be the next weapon I focus on getting? Should I bother upgrading this with my one Dragon Scale? Or go after something else?

I picked up the Iato but not able to use it yet (14 Dex, 18 Str. Think I'm done with Str for now though). I don't have the use of the Parish blacksmith yet till absolution, so been avoiding him (25k souls... can grind up to the 46k i need, or just wait till this lovely patch comes out which lowers the cost)

Booshka

John Harker said:
So, I'm like SL24, just got me the Antiquated Skirt after killing the Hydra in the Basin, but im still more or less on Upper Blighttown to give you a sense of where I am story-wise. I'm still using the Drake sword though. What really should be the next weapon I focus on getting? Should I bother upgrading this with my one Dragon Scale? Or go after something else?

I picked up the Iato but not able to use it yet (14 Dex, 18 Str. Think I'm done with Str for now though). I don't have the use of the Parish blacksmith yet till absolution, so been avoiding him (25k souls... can grind up to the 46k i need, or just wait till this lovely patch comes out which lowers the cost)
Drake Sword isn't really worth upgrading, but none of the Dragon weapons are, so if you are gonna keep using it, go ahead. If you have a Claymore or another weapon that you like to use and it has decent scaling, just start upgrading it. Unfortunately, with your blacksmith aggro'd you can only go to +5 (if you even have the smithing box), so you are probably best sticking with the Drake sword until you get your Sins sorted out. Then you can take a weapon to +10 and ascend it further later on. Just about any normal weapon with C scaling at +8 or above will out-perform the Drake sword.

HolyTaco

Nearly finished my first playthrough, up to Gwyn, got all the pyromancies and some of the max weapon cheevs. Guess I should grind out some more cheevs and do a crystal lizard run before beating him. So keen to start a new character though, already got a dex build on the side at level 25 but waiting till the 360 version gets patched to continue with that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Manmademan said:
female undead merchant sells charcoal resin. turns any weapon to fire, 500 souls a pop.

as for your lightning spear, don't know what to tell you. upgrade it?

Will the resin turn a lightning weapon to fire? I just got my Lightning Claymore and upgraded it to +3 and I'm loving it but then I got fully and totally destroyed by S&O. It would be helpful to switch it to fire after killing Smough.

edit: hmm looks like you can't use resin on anything but purely physical weapons. Maybe I'll murder a bunch of stuff with my new sword to get materials to build the Furysword.

I'm curious. I took a shotel to +10 in preparation for making it divine then heading to the catacombs. I also had a painting soldier sword at +6. When I visited the blacksmith, he wouldn't ascend the shotel but only the painting sword? I checked the guide and the shotel can be divine.... What the hell? Bleed damage hasn't exactly doing me any famous in the catacombs. I would really like to have this shotel divine because of its ability to bypass shields.

Leezard

DigitalDevil said:
I'm curious. I took a shotel to +10 in preparation for making it divine then heading to the catacombs. I also had a painting soldier sword at +6. When I visited the blacksmith, he wouldn't ascend the shotel but only the painting sword? I checked the guide and the shotel can be divine.... What the hell? Bleed damage hasn't exactly doing me any famous in the catacombs. I would really like to have this shotel divine because of its ability to bypass shields.
To upgrade something to divine you need to have it at +5. +10 is simply too upgraded (you can downgrade at the smith though).

Booshka

Love fighting a guy who is completely glitched, it shows that he has no HP, but he is taking zero damage from me or the enemies in his game. Roll around and tried fighting him for like 5 minutes straight, while he is getting smashed by rocks from the giant dudes in Blightown, backstabbed repeatedly by me, a few 2H combos as well and then he runs away for some reason so I just return home. Glad I can do that, not gonna fight him for half an hour then finally die and give him the 500K souls I have on me.

So lame that my one successful invasion in 15 minutes is on some glitching asshole.

JVIDICAN

Lol. Upgraded my ascended flame to +5 bought great fireball, great combustion, and fire whip ran through Sens fortress getting the lightning spear and opening the shortcut. Upgraded the spear to +2 leveled up to 20 and put down a summon sign in front of Capra. Anyone who summons me has a guaranteed win. :p

Booshka said:
Love fighting a guy who is completely glitched, it shows that he has no HP, but he is taking zero damage from me or the enemies in his game. Roll around and tried fighting him for like 5 minutes straight, while he is getting smashed by rocks from the giant dudes in Blightown, backstabbed repeatedly by me, a few 2H combos as well and then he runs away for some reason so I just return home. Glad I can do that, not gonna fight him for half an hour then finally die and give him the 500K souls I have on me.

So lame that my one successful invasion in 15 minutes is on some glitching asshole.

Sounds like strong magic shield. Was his shield glowing blue?

Finalow

bone_and_sinew said:
I can't wear mask of the father because it has that stupid batman face expression:

MaskoftheFather.jpg

batman-is-disgusted-horrified-shocked-12732203359.jpg
i lol'd 'cause this is so true.

Picked this game up recently and have put a ton of time into it, to my surprise.

It's frustrating as fuck sometimes, but it feels great. My question is where I can get the game guide? Amazon is out, and they had a good price on it. I try to not support Gamestop, either.

Sullichin

unpurposed said:
Picked this game up recently and have put a ton of time into it, to my surprise.

It's frustrating as fuck sometimes, but it feels great. My question is where I can get the game guide? Amazon is out, and they had a good price on it. I try to not support Gamestop, either.
I would recommend not even getting a guide as soon pretty much every number in there will be wrong.

Booshka

JVIDICAN said:
Lol. Upgraded my ascended flame to +5 bought great fireball, great combustion, and fire whip ran through Sens fortress getting the lightning spear and opening the shortcut. Upgraded the spear to +2 leveled up to 20 and put down a summon sign in front of Capra. Anyone who summons me has a guaranteed win. :p

Sounds like strong magic shield. Was his shield glowing blue?
No he wasn't using Strong Magic shield, I have encountered that as well, at least that runs out and they have to cast it again. This was just permanent invincibility, he was wearing Solaire's gear and using a Lightning Spear, some Miracles and Pyromancy. I don't really understand why he was running from me, or why he used a moss to cure poison, he didn't get damaged by anything, I'm not really sure what was up.

I should have just went up and down the Waterwheel over and over to see which of us fell to our death first.

Sullichin said:
I would recommend not even getting a guide as soon pretty much every number in there will be wrong.

Thanks, you saved me some money :)

Are they constantly patching the game for bug-fixes and/or gameplay?

John Harker

Booshka said:
Drake Sword isn't really worth upgrading, but none of the Dragon weapons are, so if you are gonna keep using it, go ahead. If you have a Claymore or another weapon that you like to use and it has decent scaling, just start upgrading it. Unfortunately, with your blacksmith aggro'd you can only go to +5 (if you even have the smithing box), so you are probably best sticking with the Drake sword until you get your Sins sorted out. Then you can take a weapon to +10 and ascend it further later on. Just about any normal weapon with C scaling at +8 or above will out-perform the Drake sword.

Okay, cool, I'll work on upgarding then with the blacksmith i do have.
Couple quick questions then, what's the best place to grind the low-level shards I need at this point in the game? Don't have a claymore, is the Winged Spear or Partisan worth upgarding?

Booshka

unpurposed said:

Are they constantly patching the game for bug-fixes and/or gameplay?
If only.

They have released a few patches so far, and the 1.04 patch that is out in Japan and supposed to come out elsewhere is significant, and has a lot of changes that will make the Official Guide mostly incorrect and filled with misinformation.

John Harker said:
Okay, cool, I'll work on upgarding then with the blacksmith i do have.
Couple quick questions then, what's the best place to grind the low-level shards I need at this point in the game? Don't have a claymore, is the Winged Spear or Partisan worth upgarding?

The best way is to farm the
Leeches in the Swamps of Blighttown
for Green Titanite Shards and then break those down using
Frampt's Feed option
to break them into Titanite Shards. Otherwise, the Slimes in the Depths sometimes drop them.

JVIDICAN

Booshka said:
No he wasn't using Strong Magic shield, I have encountered that as well, at least that runs out and they have to cast it again. This was just permanent invincibility, he was wearing Solaire's gear and using a Lightning Spear, some Miracles and Pyromancy. I don't really understand why he was running from me, or why he used a moss to cure poison, he didn't get damaged by anything, I'm not really sure what was up.

I should have just went up and down the Waterwheel over and over to see which of us fell to our death first.
Oh. well then the reason obvious. Paying homage to sunbro grants you invincibility! All hail sunbro! Praise the Sun! :p

2AdEPT

Mindlog said:
The list.
1. Undead Asylum
2. Firelink Shrine
3. Undead Burg (Main)
4. Undead Burg (Upper)
5. Undead Parish (Outside)
6. Undead Parish (Inside of the Church)
7. Undead Burg (Basement)
8. Depths (Upper)
9. Depths (Lower)
10. Blight Town (Entrance)
11. Blight Town (Lower / Swamp Area)
12. Quelaag’s Domain
13. The Great Hollow
14. Ash Lake
15. Firelink Shrine (Revisit)
16. Undead Asylum (Revisit)
17. Sen’s Fortress (Lower / Middle Area)
18. Sen’s Fortress (Upper / Rooftop Area)
19. Anor Londo (Outside)
20. Anor Londo (Inside the Castle)
21. Painted World of Ariamis
22. Darkroot Garden
23. Darkroot Basin
24. Valley of Drakes
25. New Londo Ruins
26. The Duke’s Archives
27. Crystal Cave
28. The Catacombs (Upper area)
29. The Catacombs (Lower area)
30. Tomb of the Giants
31. Demon Ruins
32. Lost Izalith
33. Kiln of the First Flame
I copied it off ZZoram.

Again, it's just a loose guide. I would definitely recommend doing 16 before 11.
Sorry, these lists just don't do it for me. In a game that takes pride in allowing for a player to have open access to the world, and even more so with the master key, my question is always...... recommended for what? and what does "do" mean....clear the whole level plus boss in one sweep? To me, the earlier I can dismantle the requirements in path the better so this means ringing both bells as early as possible. If this means hiring that naked chick for Queelag so be it.

Once the requirements have been dismantled i.e. both bells and then the lordvessel, which means that gargoyles, queelag, sens + anor lando are down, then I can go about my order which is entirely about the equipment and spells I want, which also involves a covenant or two. The path I choose will always take precedence over THE recommended path. There is really no reason not to do catacombs way earlier than "recommended." For whatever reason I didn't do catacombs til later with one character and really missed not having fire weapons and especially the greater estus granted by the rite.

To anyone that wants a path given to them, I say you are missing out on half the fun of the game. Half the fun is planning out a strategy that suits what it is you get out of the game. How can anyone tell you what order is best if they don't know what it is you wish to do, and moreover HOW you wish to do it? Granted, noobs generally want an easier path....so why do capra before ringing both bells? Get the master key, get the dragon, grass, and crest shields, get souls and moss from the tree creatures and get pyro from chaos. Already down in choasville? Just run over and grab the gold trimmed set! Wait, why take on capra without the lightning spear? Get the lighting spear then...you just rang both bells why wait? All of a sudden you are a level 20-30 character with awesome pyro, lightning spear, gold trimmed set, and all you have done for bosses is QUeelag, Gargoyles, and optional Taurus for a few extra souls (but since you have to go through undead burg to get to the white soapstone why not "drop in" on Taurus?) Bosses are tough, save hem for later...but DO go into all the areas you are able in order to get the stuff and you want to set you up for your ultimate path for bosses. Not that I needed to, but this can all be done by hiring others to help...just message people as to your intentions....then the rest of the game is up to you!!

Right now I am playing a level 70 mage that never touched a drake sword or even saw the red kite dragon...it just wasn't important when the winged spear from firelink, and the astora sword, enabled me to get by until I got me the lightning spear ASAP....... but she did pay a visit to Kaathe, because she refused to give the vessel to that doorknob Frampt.....I just opened the garden door recently, only because I wanted the dark wood grain ring, and sifs deal for kaathe.........farming souls was way more fun for me helping others beat Seath, and O&S. I was only level 40 for taking on the the 4 kings and then Dukes archives, but for a character that wanted to be a moonlight wielding mage AND a supporter of KAAthe, why beat 3/4 of the game without having your preferred set up? But that's just my choice, yours is open to you!

Two sets this character used:

Dark armour with fully upgraded death hand (used on right or left depending on OvsD)
Havels leggings.

not enough curse resist so for seath used:

Duke's crown, favour armour top, antiquated gloves and skirt

talk about contrasting looks!!! Love the flexibility.

Ill Saint

unpurposed said:
If the only thing of worth to you is equipment numbers, then yeah... it's outdated. But if you want enemy stategies, comprehensive area maps and guides, NPC and character breakdowns, item lists and locations, quest lines, etc. then it's still worth tracking down. $20 odd for 400 lovingly produced pages is a great deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
2AdEPT said:
Sorry, these lists just don't do it for me. In a game that takes pride in allowing for a player to have open access to the world, and even more so with the master key, my question is always...... recommended for what? and what does "do" mean....clear the whole level plus boss in one sweep? To me, the earlier I can dismantle the requirements in path the better so this means ringing both bells as early as possible. If this means hiring that naked chick for Queelag so be it.

Once the requirements have been dismantled i.e. both bells and then the lordvessel, which means that gargoyles, queelag, sens + anor lando are down, then I can go about my order which is entirely about the equipment and spells I want, which also involves a covenant or two. The path I choose will always take precedence over THE recommended path. There is really no reason not to do catacombs way earlier than "recommended." For whatever reason I didn't do catacombs til later with one character and really missed not having fire weapons and especially the greater estus granted by the rite.

To anyone that wants a path given to them, I say you are missing out on half the fun of the game. Half the fun is planning out a strategy that suits what it is you get out of the game. How can anyone tell you what order is best if they don't know what it is you wish to do, and moreover HOW you wish to do it? Granted, noobs generally want an easier path....so why do capra before ringing both bells? Get the master key, get the dragon, grass, and crest shields, get souls and moss from the tree creatures and get pyro from chaos. Already down in choasville? Just run over and grab the gold trimmed set! Wait, why take on capra without the lightning spear? Get the lighting spear then...you just rang both bells why wait? All of a sudden you are a level 20-30 character with awesome pyro, lightning spear, gold trimmed set, and all you have done for bosses is QUeelag, Gargoyles, and optional Taurus for a few extra souls (but since you have to go through undead burg to get to the white soapstone why not "drop in" on Taurus?) Bosses are tough, save hem for later...but DO go into all the areas you are able in order to get the stuff and you want to set you up for your ultimate path for bosses. Not that I needed to, but this can all be done by hiring others to help...just message people as to your intentions....then the rest of the game is up to you!!

Right now I am playing a level 70 mage that never touched a drake sword or even saw the red kite dragon...it just wasn't important when the winged spear from firelink, and the astora sword, enabled me to get by until I got me the lightning spear ASAP....... but she did pay a visit to Kaathe, because she refused to give the vessel to that doorknob Frampt.....I just opened the garden door recently, only because I wanted the dark wood grain ring, and sifs deal for kaathe.........farming souls was way more fun for me helping others beat Seath, and O&S. I was only level 40 for taking on the the 4 kings and then Dukes archives, but for a character that wanted to be a moonlight wielding mage AND a supporter of KAAthe, why beat 3/4 of the game without having your preferred set up? But that's just my choice, yours is open to you!

Two sets this character used:

Dark armour with fully upgraded death hand (used on right or left depending on OvsD)
Havels leggings.

not enough curse resist so for seath used:

Duke's crown, favour armour top, antiquated gloves and skirt

talk about contrasting looks!!! Love the flexibility.
This is why Dark Souls is GOTY

Ill Saint said:
If the only thing of worth to you is equipment numbers, then yeah... it's outdated. But if you want enemy stategies, comprehensive area maps and guides, NPC and character breakdowns, item lists and locations, quest lines, etc. then it's still worth tracking down. $20 odd for 400 lovingly produced pages is a great deal.

I took a look at it, and it seemed really nice. The problem is actually finding it for sale at that price somewhere that's not Gamestop.

John Harker

astroturfing said:
not gonna watch that but... the WHOLE game, without glitching or anything..? in 1 hour 20 minutes?

what in the hell

hot damn. this guy rang the first bell in under 11 min. took me 11 hours. YAHOWAZ

2AdEPT

Draft said:
:lol

Is Pinwheel supposed to be a joke boss? What a clown.
No, its just some knob know-it-all posted a wiki saying you couldn't do the graveyard and catacombs early game because "it is too hard for noobs."

Obvioulsy the developers meant for it to be a difficult, but still done earlier on, world....it is next to firelink and all.....

Ill Saint

Rez said:
This is why Dark Souls is GOTY
Amen. Made a new character last night, and first thing I did after the Asylum was hike to Darkroot Basin via New Londo and Valley of Drakes. Ran past Hydra to the back of the Garden to grab all the armour and so on, joined Forest Covenant, did a few invasions for fun, then hiked it back to Firelink via the Parish shortcut to get the graveyard loot. Was a great challenge, and now I'm well geared up. Got enough souls to pump up my levels and wield that Zwiehander. It's being able to do stuff like this that makes this game so fresh.

Melfice7

Platinum get! took me 100h with a lot of goofing around too, it was nice not having to farm for a near impossible drop (looking at you pure bladestone)

Sullichin

Ill Saint said:

I thought the guide was awesome when I first got it, and it's definitely well designed, but I have my gripes with it.

I found that the walkthrough and enemy strategies are often not that helpful and at times vague. It's great for the NPC character breakdowns though. Also, noticed a bunch of typos. Idk, it's nice to have but I find the internet a much better resource for the game at this point.

Ill Saint

Sullichin said:
I thought the guide was awesome when I first got it, and it's definitely well designed, but I have my gripes with it.

I found that the walkthrough and enemy strategies are often not that helpful and at times vague. It's great for the NPC character breakdowns though. Also, noticed a bunch of typos. Idk, it's nice to have but I find the internet a much better resource for the game at this point.
Yeah, it's definitely not perfect. A hard copy guide is always gonna have a hard time matching a web resource I suppose. I would have liked more info on Covenants. I still use the guide often for maps, item locations and NPC info. I'm glad I bought it, no question there.

Sullichin

Ill Saint said:
Yeah, it's definitely not perfect. A hard copy guide is always gonna have a hard time matching a web resource I suppose. I would have liked more info on Covenants. I still use the guide often for maps, item locations and NPC info. I'm glad I bought it, no question there.

I don't regret my purchase either, It's nice to have, I love the layout of it and I got it on sale. But it's kind of irksome that a lot of the useful info on weapons and stuff, which is more useful here than the wikis which still don't seem to have the stats for all the weapons, will soon be outdated.

tokkun

2AdEPT said:
No, its just some knob know-it-all posted a wiki saying you couldn't do the graveyard and catacombs early game because "it is too hard for noobs."

Obvioulsy the developers meant for it to be a difficult, but still done earlier on, world....it is next to firelink and all.....

Pinwheel still takes about as many hits as one normal skeleton and his attacks are easy to dodge, so yeah, I'd say he is a joke boss.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I feel so lost with my god damn disc stuck inside my dead PS3...

That happened to me with my Arkham City disc (of course my PS3 dies the day the game comes out...)

Good new though! I finally beat Dark Souls! Gotta say, for all the hard work I put into the game, they could have put more into the ending, what a disappointment.

Ill Saint

JimtotheHum said:
Good new though! I finally beat Dark Souls! Gotta say, for all the hard work I put into the game, they could have put more into the ending, what a disappointment.
You need to get the other ending. :)

Sullichin

Surprise - Blighttown still sucks in NG+, for two reasons: The frame rate and the mosquitos. I'm not just getting drops in fps. The entire area is sub-30fps, sometimes at a crawling pace. It affects the combat. The mosquitos could use some larger fucking hit boxes. I like Quelaagg though, and had no problems beating her in NG+. Another fun fight.

It would be so amazing if they fixed the frame rate problems in this area.. even slightly.

gamelova

Okay, a couple questions. I'm on the final boss getting my ass kicked, but now I am thinking, should I abandon my covenant and join and break from other covenants to get all the cool equipment or spells? Will my sins be absolved, not have my name in the book of the guilty, and not have to pay a ridiculous amount of souls to clear my sins at the start of New game plus. Right now I am a chaos servant rank 2. So I already have all I need from the chaos witch and Eingiki. Also, is New game plus more challenging? Is it worth going through this game again? How does the challenge compare to playing it the first time?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Any tips on
Four Kings
? I'm mostly melee and don't have Iron Flesh or the Magic Barrier miracles, so I can't seem to come up with anything besides "chop them as fast as you can".

Booshka

Akuun said:
Any tips on
Four Kings
? I'm mostly melee and don't have Iron Flesh or the Magic Barrier miracles, so I can't seem to come up with anything besides "chop them as fast as you can".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKalpe8sNc&feature=feedu

This should help, the easy way is usually just wearing Havel's gear and getting all up in their shit and going to town 2 Handed, but if that isn't working you can avoid almost all of their attacks with the strategy this guy employs.

Akuun said:
Any tips on
Four Kings

do you have Havel's armor? get that and some green blossom for your stamina. That's what I did.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thanks guys. Time to dig up Havel's gear out of the box (I'm in a low-str build and I like to keep myself light).

Holy crap, that guy's halberd does a crapton of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom