• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
so, latest is the patch is coming to PS3 in NA end of November?
Any indication it could be this week? I finally have 46k souls for absolution after i dont know, wasting 10 hours. I can get it now and finally move on, or wait a couple days till it's a quarter of the price after the patch...

Booshka

John Harker said:
so, latest is the patch is coming to PS3 in NA end of November?
Any indication it could be this week? I finally have 46k souls for absolution after i dont know, wasting 10 hours. I can get it now and finally move on, or wait a couple days till it's a quarter of the price after the patch...
Just pay it now, 46K souls is nothing once the game starts moving along. You'll just waste even more time waiting.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
The biggest blight to PvP is the "Come at me bro" gesture :/
As far as I can tell, that's been the biggest blight to the game. So many people use it in their single player videos, too. It got old pretty amazingly fast.

web01

scy said:
The biggest blight to PvP is the "Come at me bro" gesture :/

lol.

I was in a stand of with a guy in Lost Izalith, we keep doing that at each other and intermediately shooting arrows at each other for 20 minutes.

.GqueB.

Banned
I know this has been discussed like crazy but those archers in Londo are just ridiculous. I mean...h... how? What? Such silly bull crap. When I finally got pass them I was so determined to never do that part again that I went through the rest of the level determined to not die. And die I didnt. Fuck those fuckers...

anyways...

Still trying to decide what armor I should use. Ive been using hard leather all this time but Im looking at that silver knight armor and looking forward to Ornsteins. Decisions decisions. Hard leather gives me speed but I can only get hit like two or three times. Anyone have any luck with good light armor?

Booshka

.GqueB. said:
I know this has been discussed like crazy but those archers in Londo are just ridiculous. I mean...h... how? What? Such silly bull crap. When I finally got pass them I was so determined to never do that part again that I went through the rest of the level determined to not die. And die I didnt. Fuck those fuckers...

anyways...

Still trying to decide what armor I should use. Ive been using hard leather all this time but Im looking at that silver knight armor and looking forward to Ornsteins. Decisions decisions. Hard leather gives me speed but I can only get hit like two or three times. Anyone have any luck with good light armor?
Pre-patch a good light armor set would be Elite Knight Armor +10 Antiquated Skirt+5, Hard Leather Gauntlets+9, and then there are a few good helms to choose from, or you could just wear one of the masks to give yourself a good bonus to HP, Stamina, or Equip Load.

I'm getting really tired of running from the bonfire to Smough & Ornstein. I don't think i'd have a problem beating these guys if I kill Ornstein first, but I really want his armor. I've pretty much have avoided the hell out of them for the past two days and got every item I can get outside of moving the story along which was a ton of fun but now I'm stuck.

Also, I finally got the gold-hemmed set which is awesome right now but should I not bother upgrading it because of the patch? If so, which set will be good that is around that weight?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The newbie emerges again for another exciting Tales of Interest!

I liked Sen's Fortress. It felt a bit dungeony which is something I was missing a bit. Again, I'm amazed at the level design and the coherence of the whole world. Very thought out. Ah, I grabbed the lightning spear - on paper it does more damage than my divine +4 katana but the moveset and range is way inferior. The boss was tricky, I tried to go all out way too much and died many times. But once I sat down, took note of the tells (specially the feet since you can't really see his hands up close) and took my time, he went down on two tries. The game really rewards thoughtful play.

After a short fly I hit Anor Londo and I've got to say I'm happy for the change mood. You can feel the sun there, a warm loving sun - instead of the bleak luminiscence that permeates the rest of the outdoor zones I visited so far. Let's see how it goes.

Ah, I got a question for Anor Londo - is there any way to get back to the first bonfire after you drop off to the church (other than dieing, of course). I'm asking because I'm sorta afraid of progressing to the fabled O&S and since I can't go online to seek for help, either I'm ready for the fight or it's gonna be a pain (yeah I know you can do the whole game naked with a lvl 1, but that's not what i can do).

Thank you!

Bitmap Frogs said:
Ah, I got a question for Anor Londo - is there any way to get back to the first bonfire after you drop off to the church (other than dieing, of course). I'm asking because I'm sorta afraid of progressing to the fabled O&S and since I can't go online to seek for help, either I'm ready for the fight or it's gonna be a pain (yeah I know you can do the whole game naked with a lvl 1, but that's not what i can do).
Yeah, right after the room with the painting in it you'll be close a new bonfire or will be able to travel back to the other one. They're very close to each other actually.

Skullkid

Sullichin said:
Surprise - Blighttown still sucks in NG+, for two reasons: The frame rate and the mosquitos. I'm not just getting drops in fps. The entire area is sub-30fps, sometimes at a crawling pace. It affects the combat. The mosquitos could use some larger fucking hit boxes. I like Quelaagg though, and had no problems beating her in NG+. Another fun fight.

It would be so amazing if they fixed the frame rate problems in this area.. even slightly.

I just explored Blighttown again in NG++. The area is pretty easy after you know the layout and have the right equipment. The graphics would be great with a decent framerate - looking down at the scenery from above is pretty impressive.

I don't get the drops in framerate either - it's like they just tried to have too much going on in the area (respawning mosquitos, huge draw distance, tons of enemies). Just get rid of the respawning mosquitos and cut the number of enemies down and the area would be kind of fun.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Sullichin said:
fog ring is such bullshit. it really seems to dominate pvp

While not locking onto the target, you move faster, and could backstab ppl more easily...Plus you could use a huge wpn with great swing range to do serious dmg on them, normally the fog ring users I met don't block, e.g. blackknight halberd, black knight greataxe, or try to predict their movement and use Iaito R2 attack.

Only exception is in dark Anor Londo though.

Dorrin

I finally beat Ornstein and Smough.. whew and I thought Capra Demon was nasty. I'll admit it I was close to giving up. I must have spent.. I don't know 2h trying to solo it. Finally got Solaire summoned and took them down at SL 49, I had low Vit/End only 14/11. Used all but 6 casts of Great Heavy Arrow. I yelled out a cheer of victory so loud my wife had to ask me if I was okay downstairs.

God damn Capra Demon gauntlet. Lost the 11 humanity I collected doing coop on the gargoyles >:O

Once the dogs go down he's by far the dumbest boss in the game. My sunbro got into that goat ass with those Zeus bolts and threw up gang signs *praise the sun* from the staircase.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You're kidding me right?
All that and I get one 10 second pull-out of a big fire for an ending?? I mean what about all this stuff about reversing the curse of the undead and all that? I mean not even a passing mention about how linking the fires has affected the world? This makes the Demon's Souls ending look like a feature film. WTF. I think I just lost any motivation to do NG+

.GqueB.

Banned
Booshka said:
Pre-patch a good light armor set would be Elite Knight Armor +10 Antiquated Skirt+5, Hard Leather Gauntlets+9, and then there are a few good helms to choose from, or you could just wear one of the masks to give yourself a good bonus to HP, Stamina, or Equip Load.
I heard the Elite knight armor getting nerfed? I heard the regular knight armor would end up being better in the long run.

140.85 said:
You're kidding me right?
All that and I get one 10 second pull-out of a big fire for an ending?? I mean what about all this stuff about reversing the curse of the undead and all that? I mean not even a passing mention about how linking the fires has affected the world? This makes the Demon's Souls ending look like a feature film. WTF. I think I just lost any motivation to do NG+

You linked the fire brah.
Nothing changed; the cycle continues. You're the new Gwyn

Ill Saint

140.85 said:
You're kidding me right?
You have another ending to see.

Zzoram

140.85 said:
You're kidding me right?
I'm pretty sure that ending does not lift the undead curse nor does it change the world in any way, it maintains the status quo.

The other ending doesn't appear to lift the undead curse either, but it does change the status quo.

Booshka

.GqueB. said:
I heard the Elite knight armor getting nerfed? I heard the regular knight armor would end up being better in the long run.
I think they are all getting nerfed, that's why I said pre-patch. But who knows when the patch is coming out, so I suggest that gear until otherwise.

lupin23rd

Something I completely missed during my first run through -
Reah comes out of the tombs to the parish, and then Petrus kills her?

Now I know why I dont have many of the miracles I need for the trophy. Should I take care of this situation now, ie. is it possible to prevent this? I'm on my down to the tombs now in NG+.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The Elite Knight Armor is that good? I just got it, but I'm rocking Eastern Helmet, Eastern Armor, Shadow Guantlet, and Antiquated Skirt. It actually doens't look that bad put together. And seems my best stats so far. Elite didn't look that good?

.GqueB. said:

Really? Aw man I loved that armor set. It has this great "Everyman" feel to it, which embodies the Souls series gameplay.

Chorazin

Ugh, the last boss is so fucking fast. Plus the hike to get to him is sooooooo tedious.

And of course there are no summon signs around.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I guess I just wanted a clearer understanding of what exactly
"linking the fires" accomplished. Will I understand it more after the other ending?

sleepykyo

Chorazin said:
Ugh, the last boss is so fucking fast. Plus the hike to get to him is sooooooo tedious.

And of course there are no summon signs around.

Strange, the Kiln is a pretty busy pvp spot from what I've read.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah..basically not getting any summons to help since no one outside of Japan has the patch. But in other news Sen's is the best game dungeon EVER. Gonna spend a few more hours here just poking around before I go meet that bit knight guy.. slowest "day one!" player ever!

def sim

140.85 said:
"linking the fires" accomplished. Will I understand it more after the other ending?

Linking the fires gives power back to the gods while starting the age of dark lets humans start their own era. That's the gist of it, I think.

tokkun

John Harker said:
The Elite Knight Armor is that good? I just got it, but I'm rocking Eastern Helmet, Eastern Armor, Shadow Guantlet, and Antiquated Skirt. It actually doens't look that bad put together. And seems my best stats so far. Elite didn't look that good?

It's mainly the chest that's good, and it's getting downgraded in the patch so I wouldn't sweat it.

Chorazin

sleepykyo said:
Strange, the Kiln is a pretty busy pvp spot from what I've read.

Well, PVP doesn't exactly equal people willing to help by putting down a summon sign.

EDIT: Hah, as soon as I wrote that, found two signs and summoned them both. Just beat it!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Draft said:
:lol

Is Pinwheel supposed to be a joke boss? What a clown.

Pretty much, yeah. There's an NPC phantom in an out-of-the-way location in the Catacombs you can summon for him that can practically one-shot him. Even on NG++ one attack took off about 75% of Pinwheel's HP. You could drop into his chamber, put the controller down, and win.

JVIDICAN

12 Capras killed in the last 2 hours. Each encounter only takes 15 seconds/3 great combustions. :p
It's funny seeing my summoners sprinting for the stairs trying usual strategy for the boss. It's always dead by the time he/she is halfway up.

ixix said:
Pretty much, yeah. There's an NPC phantom in an out-of-the-way location in the Catacombs you can summon for him that can practically one-shot him. Even on NG++ one attack took off about 75% of Pinwheel's HP. You could drop into his chamber, put the controller down, and win.
Wait... you can summon Leeroy? 0.0

ixix

JVIDICAN said:
Wait... you can summon Leeroy? 0.0

Yes. To find him
go through the Catacombs the long way, don't take the shortcut through Vamos' forge area. Near the end there's a dark area with constructed walls and floors where you find the Titanite Demon and the sarcophagus that takes you to Nito to join the Gravelord covenant. Stand just outside the entrance to this area and you'll see sort of a natural bridge structure that collapsed and doesn't cross the ravine. Stand near it in human form and look down, and with a bit of camera finagling you should see Leeroy's summoning sign. Drop down to the right of the half-bridge to land on a small plateau in the area with the wheel skeletons. It's pretty big, so you don't really need to worry about missing it and falling to your death. Once you're on it tag Leeroy's summoning sign and drop off the edge into the wheel skeleton area right next to the fog door leading to Pinwheel.

He turns what is already the easiest boss in the game into a hilarious joke. I actually felt sorry for Pinwheel after I saw what Leeroy did to him.

Giard

Which is better?

Using Havel's ring to have better armor..
or using Ring of Favor and Protection for better HP and defense?

sixghost

140.85 said:
If you decide to play a NG+, complete New Londo and beat the 4 kings immediately after you receive the lordvessel. You'll meet a new NPC that explains thing a bit better. Also, take some time to read the item descriptions, or just read IXIX's lore summaries. You'll have a much better grasp of what happened.

JVIDICAN

Sullichin said:
I wish armor of the glorious was getting a buff because I think it looks pretty cool but thats the only reason I have to use it.
If you like it, wear it. A good shield and speed/timing is much more essential than wearing heavy tank armor

JVIDICAN

Giard said:
Which is better?

Using Havel's ring to have better armor..
or using Ring of Favor and Protection for better HP and defense?
Havels, you can safely remove it when you don't need it.

Edit: If this thread wasn't in community this definitely wouldn't have been a double post. :p

ixix said:

Not quite -- I dropped down and went to rush him 2H in NG+ and he OHKO'ed me. :| I had to go back with Iron Flesh and feed him 3 Homing Crystal Soulmasses.

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
Not quite -- I dropped down and went to rush him 2H in NG+ and he OHKO'ed me. :| I had to go back with Iron Flesh and feed him 3 Homing Crystal Soulmasses.

You got one-shotted by Pinwheel?

If that happened to me I think I'd retire the character out of shame.

On NG++ I dropped in, Leeroy charged one of the illusions, cast Wrath of the Gods to wipe out the illusions and nearly kill Pinwheel, then charged the now-alone Pinwheel and finished him with one swing of Grant. It was over in 15 seconds, tops.

sixghost

ixix said:
You got one-shotted by Pinwheel?

If that happened to me I think I'd retire the character out of shame.

On NG++ I dropped in, Leeroy charged one of the illusions, cast Wrath of the Gods to wipe out the illusions and nearly kill Pinwheel, then charged the now-alone Pinwheel and finished him with one swing of Grant. It was over in 15 seconds, tops.
That boss is weird. It feels like that whole area(as proven by the Patches event that occurs if you go there early and the difficulty of Pinwheel) was sort of designed to be done sort of early. At least before you have the lordvessel. The problem with doing the area that early is it's probably a fucking pain to get back out without teleporting(I guess you could use Homeward or a Homeward Bone, but people won't always have one of those on them).

Further proof of this is the fact that you basically fight Pinwheels as a regular enemy later on in the TotG, which would be sort of like running into Capra and Taurus in Demon's Ruins if you did Catacombs before going through Sen's.

I think Great Hollow and Ash Lake has the same problem. I went there early to create a SL120 character before the patch, and it took a good 40 minutes to get to the Dragon Statue and back.

Both of those areas probably could have been made better for early exploration if there were a few more shortcuts you could unlock back to Darkroot or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom