• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

yeah, the "come at me bro/are you not entertained?" pose i respond to by waving...then, usually dying.

John Harker said:
The Elite Knight Armor is that good? I just got it, but I'm rocking Eastern Helmet, Eastern Armor, Shadow Guantlet, and Antiquated Skirt. It actually doens't look that bad put together. And seems my best stats so far. Elite didn't look that good?

wait, elite knight's getting nerfed? FUCK. i have the armor at +9 and was looking to slab it for 10 because it's the best defense for that weight class, gotta rethink this shit now. at least i think i heard ornstein's is getting a buff somehow, may go back to that.

Clear said:
Platinum, finally.

212hrs 42mins 16 seconds! Finally I can have my life back!

damn dude, congrats! cannot wait till i can say this.

ya'll were talking about that nice Demons Souls dynamic theme earlier, did anyone actually buy it from the JPN store? can that thing be gameshare'd? cause if so, id paypal a few bucks to have it!

ixix said:
You got one-shotted by Pinwheel?

If that happened to me I think I'd retire the character out of shame.

On NG++ I dropped in, Leeroy charged one of the illusions, cast Wrath of the Gods to wipe out the illusions and nearly kill Pinwheel, then charged the now-alone Pinwheel and finished him with one swing of Grant. It was over in 15 seconds, tops.

My dude was SL100+ with 50 INT too. I dropped in and he cloned himself so damn fast I was in disbelief -- as I made a line to attack, the clone and pinwheel both threw fireballs and they converged on me. I don't know if both hit at the same time or what... but it was bad. I took no more chances, he met iron-fleshed sorcery and did NOT like it. ^_^

Sullichin

JVIDICAN said:
If you like it, wear it. A good shield and speed/timing is much more essential than wearing heavy tank armor

I am, but I have armor that has lower weight and better def, so it's a bit silly

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
sixghost said:
That boss is weird. It feels like that whole area(as proven by the Patches event that occurs if you go there early and the difficulty of Pinwheel) was sort of designed to be done sort of early. At least before you have the lordvessel. The problem with doing the area that early is it's probably a fucking pain to get back out without teleporting(I guess you could use Homeward or a Homeward Bone, but people won't always have one of those on them).

Further proof of this is the fact that you basically fight Pinwheels as a regular enemy later on in the TotG, which would be sort of like running into Capra and Taurus in Demon's Ruins if you did Catacombs before going through Sen's.

I think Great Hollow and Ash Lake has the same problem. I went there early to create a SL120 character before the patch, and it took a good 40 minutes to get to the Dragon Statue and back.

Both of those areas probably could have been made better for early exploration if there were a few more shortcuts you could unlock back to Darkroot or something.

The Catacombs really do slot into the game progression in a weird way. They're completely segregated from the rest of the game, only connecting Firelink Shrine to the Tomb of Giants. I somewhat suspect that they intended them to link into other areas one way or another but either dropped the idea or didn't get around to it. And the result is a low-level area that you'd have to be crazy to tackle at a low level.

I say this, of course, as somebody who tackled them at level 20 on a wild goose chase.

corrosivefrost said:
My dude was SL100+ with 50 INT too. I dropped in and he cloned himself so damn fast I was in disbelief -- as I made a line to attack, the clone and pinwheel both threw fireballs and they converged on me. I don't know if both hit at the same time or what... but it was bad. I took no more chances, he met iron-fleshed sorcery and did NOT like it. ^_^

I'd actually wondered a time or two if it might be possible for him to do some serious damage if enough of the clones took a shot at you at the same time. I just figured he has such terrible aim that the chances of it actually happening were basically miniscule.

But clearly it's possible.

elty

Crossbow question:

1) Since crossbow has no scale, does it mean it only make sense to make fire or lightening one?
2) What's the point of range on crossbow when you need to lock in to use?

IrishNinja said:
wait, elite knight's getting nerfed? FUCK. i have the armor at +9 and was looking to slab it for 10 because it's the best defense for that weight class, gotta rethink this shit now. at least i think i heard ornstein's is getting a buff somehow, may go back to that.

Yeah Elite Knight set is getting ganked in 1.04, specifically in Poise from what I understand.

Ornstein's set got a minor buff, nothing huge (about 5 more Physical Defense and 5-7 more Slash/Thrust/Strike Defense) but a buff all the same.

IrishNinja

AlphaDragoon said:
Yeah Elite Knight set is getting ganked in 1.04, specifically in Poise from what I understand.

Ornstein's set got a minor buff, nothing huge (about 5 more Physical Defense and 5-7 more Slash/Thrust/Strike Defense) but a buff all the same.

goddammit! i liked the look too, waste of chunks now.
besides Ornstein's, what's in that league for defense/poise/weight? i dont mind smithing shit but i guess i gotta wait & see what the #'s look like post-patch. guess it's a fair trade if my pharis bow and iaito get proper scaling.

IrishNinja said:
goddammit! i liked the look too, waste of chunks now.
besides Ornstein's, what's in that league for defense/poise/weight? i dont mind smithing shit but i guess i gotta wait & see what the #'s look like post-patch. guess it's a fair trade if my pharis bow and iaito get proper scaling.

Silver Knight set looks to be the go-to armor for people who like Elite Knight set after 1.04, it got buffed.

Jonsoncao said:

I'm fascinated by these speed runs. I only watch the areas I've worked through so as not to spoil anything.

I'm curious as to why in a speed run he would choose not to summon an NPC (Mildred in this case) to help with the boss fight.

Ideas? Am I missing something? I'm always hollow and offline, so I never get any help...I'd think it would go quicker...

NeoCross

Finally started invading after killing Bed of Chaos. I'm running a dex/end bow/backstab build and I'm at SL54. Problem is I'm having trouble finding a good knife for back stabbing, lol. What do you guys recommend/suggest I farm for?

Oh and I mainly invade in Anor Londo. PvP is as fun as ever, except when facing TWoP/WoG users. Shit is annoying as fuck.

Aselith

Whew boy, if you want to make Gaping Dragon actually challenging, leave that wizard dude alive up on the balcony. Nearly got my ass handed to me in new game + because I forgot to take him down. :p He spams magic bolts at you so it makes it a little more interesting. I ended up winning with no Estus Flasks and less than 10% health.

Dresden

NeoCross said:
Finally started invading after killing Bed of Chaos. I'm running a dex/end bow/backstab build and I'm at SL54. Problem is I'm having trouble finding a good knife for back stabbing, lol. What do you guys recommend/suggest I farm for?

Oh and I mainly invade in Anor Londo. PvP is as fun as ever, except when facing TWoP/WoG users. Shit is annoying as fuck.
Bandit knife or rapier.

IrishNinja

AlphaDragoon said:
Silver Knight set looks to be the go-to armor for people who like Elite Knight set after 1.04, it got buffed.

yeah? Ornstein brings 70 def, 19 poise at 12 lbs (and even better #'s from what you said). Elite was nearly 90 def for me, 20 poise at 11.7 lbs. silver (from the wiki) is only 42 def, 19 poise, 12 lbs - that def better be a huge buff to make it worth it, unless it can also be upgraded?

NeoCross

Dresden said:
Bandit knife or rapier.
Thanks, how bout some swords with above B dex scaling? Are they worth getting to +15 or should I just stick with my lighting washing pole?

Mostly having fun dueling mages, make their crystal soulmass whiff then when they try casting shit again I just roll into them, thorn armor is kinda good in PvP.

tokkun

Aselith said:
Whew boy, if you want to make Gaping Dragon actually challenging, leave that wizard dude alive up on the balcony. Nearly got my ass handed to me in new game + because I forgot to take him down. :p He spams magic bolts at you so it makes it a little more interesting. I ended up winning with no Estus Flasks and less than 10% health.

I don't understand how so many people miss this guy. Isn't he on the normal path through the area?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
elty said:
Crossbow question:

1) Since crossbow has no scale, does it mean it only make sense to make fire or lightening one?
2) What's the point of range on crossbow when you need to lock in to use?

1. Pretty much, yeah.
2. You can actually aim with a crossbow by either lining the shot up with a regular bow or using the binoculars. Basically you aim with the bow or binoculars, switch to the crossbow, then fire without moving the camera. Bows work better, but binoculars are more convenient since you needn't switch your weapon out.

So the range stat on crossbows is only almost completely vestigial.

Aselith

tokkun said:
I don't understand how so many people miss this guy. Isn't he on the normal path through the area?

I went down the chute by the butcher guy and then bypassed that tunnel down to where he was by going down the slide to the merchant area. I knew the place where he was I just didn't feel like going there because there was nothing of worth to me there being NG+. I was just trying to go through the area as fast as possible because it's not that interesting to me.

JVIDICAN

elty said:
I don't know.... it seems that most boss soul weapon is worthless.
The holy Greatsword of Artorias +5 easily stands with the best elemental weapons if you have the stats. It's my favorite weapon in the game . <3

I wanted to farm for Humanity to open up the shortcut that gives you the maggot helmet.

So I have 9 humanity on me & my character is human with 5 humanity used & with the ring that increase item drop. So I start farm the rats in the depths because I haven't got to the point where I can farm those baby skeletons.

55+ minutes later & all I got was a whopping 5 humanity from all that.
I even died on purpose because someone said being Hollow increases the humanity drop rates, but NOTHING.

I estimate it will take 4+ hours to get the 16 humanity I need.

Fuck this game & it's drop rate system. Even with the patch increase it still will suck.

IrishNinja

yeah, see, i wish id not've slain that spider covenant chick, cause id rather dupe humanity & just have that part done than try to scrounge up 30 for her next play when we're patched up. plus, when i have humanity, i like using it to kindle & play as human, threat of invasion adds something to the game when im not in controller-breaking mode.

JVIDICAN said:
The holy Greatsword of Artorias +5 easily stands with the best elemental weapons if you have the stats. It's my favorite weapon in the game . <3

Grant has a bit higher damage though. At 99/99/99/99 Grant has 758 attack power, while TGSoA has 722.

I really dislike the way they handled boss weapons in the game. I get the whole dichotomy between elemental non scaling weapons, and boss weapons that do scale, but boss weapons should surpass them once you get 30 in their primary scaling stat.

JVIDICAN

Mortrialus said:
Grant has a bit higher damage though. At 99/99/99/99 Grant has 758 attack power, while TGSoA has 722.

I really dislike the way they handled boss weapons in the game. I get the whole dichotomy between elemental non scaling weapons, and boss weapons that do scale, but boss weapons should surpass them once you get 30 in their primary scaling stat.
The grant is awesome, but it's incredibly heavy and can be a bit on the slow side. With GSoA I just love having the ultra great sword move set at regular great sword speed.

JVIDICAN said:
The grant is awesome, but it's incredibly heavy and can be a bit on the slow side. With GSoA I just love having the ultra great sword move set at regular great sword speed.

Just checked and GSoA is a greatsword, not an Ultra Greatsword.

I agree that its awesome though. Great move set, it's my preferred weapon of choice along with the Great Shield of Astorias.

Hey ixix, I have a bit more info about Gwynevere for your lore collection:
Divine Blessing

Holy water from Goddess Gwynevere. Fully Restore HP and undo irregularities.

The Goddess of Sunlight Gwynevere, daughter of the great Lord of Sunlight Gwyn, is cherished by all as the symbol of bounty and fertility.

Also, the Anor Londo Fire Keeper is referred to by her armor as the Darkmoon Knightess.

Edit: I see you've already seen the Anor Londo Fire Keeper thing. I think your lore collection should refer to her by that name rather than generic Anor Londo Fire Keeper.

Mortrialus said:

I'm glad the Chaos Blade isn't better than the Iaito though, that "you lose HP on every hit like the bullshit Hiltless in Demon's Souls hurr durr" really, REALLY sucks.

I'd be happy for them to make another patch and make Chaos Blade the best Katana...provided they remove that completely.

The boss weapons are kind of disappointing. Then again, the materials required to max them out are plentiful with the respawning titanite demon in Lost Izalith.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Completed Dukes Archives & Crystal caves over the weekend. Enjoyed both quite a lot, got slightly disoriented in Dukes Archives, and Crystal Caves was a nice, short, tense change of pace - bit like Tomb of the Giants only not as dark.

Got to Seath with about half my HP left and no estus and figured I'd just have a look, survive for long enough to check out his attacks. Ended up beating him first go without taking a hit. Odd. Easier than Pinwheel. Just walked up to his tail and kept hitting him. He sort of moved his tail away a bit so I followed and hit him some more. Ended up going two-handed which I almost never do on a boss as I felt so safe.

Then farmed baby skellies for humanity and kindled a few bonfires (damn its a PITA to get there).

Now I'm at the beginning of Lost Izalith and eughh. One step into that area and you just instantly get stomped to death. I made it (randomly) to a building on the right once, but couldn't find a door and got killed. Starting to see why its not a favourite - with the copy/paste taurus/capra demons in Demons Ruins earlier, I think I'll be happy when this is behind me. I think that'll leave New Londo Ruins for last.

BTW, is Seath one of the lord vessel souls? I went to the altar and offered a soul, and my character bowed, but didn't get any notification or anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what do I need to upgrade to use Sif's soul? Does it have to be a straight sword, or will a longsword be ok? Oddly I don't seem to have any basic straightswords (have broken ones, and hilts)

I'm not a high STR character, was thinking to get the cursed one to help in New londo?

oh, and the caterpillar demon was crappy. Without the ring (that you get by defeating him, or magically cutting something off while trying to fight him), you're just stuck around the edge of the arena. Its more about fighting the camera than fighting the boss.

IrishNinja said:
that does suck. how's that queelag furysword hold up? i hear it scales off dex, might be something for me as an alternate.

Furysword hits pretty hard from what I understand. Never used it myself as I hate the look of it, but all reports say it's solid. Not to be the bearer of bad news again though, but...

It's getting nerfed too come 1.04. XD

mrklaw said:
what do I need to upgrade to use Sif's soul? Does it have to be a straight sword, or will a longsword be ok? Oddly I don't seem to have any basic straightswords (have broken ones, and hilts)

I'm not a high STR character, was thinking to get the cursed one to help in New londo?

oh, and the caterpillar demon was crappy. Without the ring (that you get by defeating him, or magically cutting something off while trying to fight him), you're just stuck around the edge of the arena. Its more about fighting the camera than fighting the boss.

Greatsword of Artorias is Broken Straight Sword or Broken Sword Hilt + 10 and Soul of Sif. Any other weapon will turn it into the Cursed version which sucks.

The game actually cheesed the fuck out of the Caterpillar Demon when I fought it. I was along that left wall like most people do, and I was just slugging it out with my Iaito. My back is literally against the wall and he grabs me and goes into his scripted post-grab attack sequence...then the camera freaks out, and when it recovers I'm standing there by myself.

He went beyond the collision wall doing his grab and fell out of the game world. Sure enough, ten seconds later I watch his entire life bar disappear and "YOU DEFEATED" pop up on the screen. XD

Aselith

AlphaDragoon said:
Furysword hits pretty hard from what I understand. Never used it myself as I hate the look of it, but all reports say it's solid. Not to be the bearer of bad news again though, but...

It's getting nerfed too come 1.04. XD

It does hit hard but it's also very fast especially after the first hit on followups in the combo chain. It's dashing strike is also fucking awesome. It's a forward flip. :) And it's up + attack is a circle swing that goes into a blackflip. Unless they way overnerf it, it'll still be a very cool weapon to use.

Grinchy

Banned
Aselith said:
It does hit hard but it's also very fast especially after the first hit on followups in the combo chain. It's dashing strike is also fucking awesome. It's a forward flip. :) And it's up + attack is a circle swing that goes into a blackflip. Unless they way overnerf it, it'll still be a very cool weapon to use.
Cool maybe I should go ahead and level it up then. I couldn't decide what to level and what not to level yet. I wanted to only grind for things I'd actually use now, and worry about trophies later.

Aselith

Grinchy said:
Cool maybe I should go ahead and level it up then. I couldn't decide what to level and what not to level yet. I wanted to only grind for things I'd actually use now, and worry about trophies later.

Just make sure you get 10 humanity when you have it on because its damage scales based on that. Max humanity that you get a bonus from is 10 though.

Septimius

Soulhouf said:
Nice!
Do you have something about strength? Does strength increase anythings speed?

Not to my knowledge, and I doubt it. Seems the initial information about this was a mistranslation or something like that.

Septimius

See You Next Wednesday said:
I wanted to farm for Humanity to open up the shortcut that gives you the maggot helmet.

So I have 9 humanity on me & my character is human with 5 humanity used & with the ring that increase item drop. So I start farm the rats in the depths because I haven't got to the point where I can farm those baby skeletons.

I even died on purpose because someone said being Hollow increases the humanity drop rates, but NOTHING.

Fuck this game & it's drop rate system. Even with the patch increase it still will suck.

Glitch.

You know you want to!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

baby skellies in the Tomb of the Giants. Only pain is I don't think you can backtrack from the TotG boss bonfire, you have to run to the area, and the nearest bonfire still needs you to get past a few giant skelly dogs and bone towers.

I might kindle that bonfire up to 20 just for farming humanity, although I got about 12 and then went around and kindled the main warp bonfires up to 20

Frank

Personally, I find the best spot for farming humanity to be the idling Pisacas at the bottom of the prison in Duke's Archives. Getting there is rather easy from the first Anor Londo bonfire.

If you turned the alarm off (above the Pisacas, to have them just stay there and not be aggressive from the get go) and closed the doors to the cells on your way down, there's only 2 Snakeheads and a 30 seconds run between you and the Pisacas.

I usually pop on the Pyro Flame for this and use Fireballs and Fireorbs to kill them all fast fast fast (also, not making too much noise and agitation helps with not attracting the attention of the 2 Snakeheads in the alcove above the Picasas). Each run gives you between 1 and 4 Humanities, with the occasional run of nothing-thank-you-very-much.

I'm a melee class with a bit of Pyro for support (the Zwei is my main weapon, but I'm trying to keep the Pyro Flame as upgraded as possible at any given moment).

One hour of going up and down on those stairs and you'll have somewhere between 30 and 50 humanity.

edit: I usually do this with the ID+ ring on (Covetous Gold Serpent Ring), and I 'reinvest' some of the farmed humanity to raise my ID further.

edit2: And I guess you might need a Pyro Flame upgraded enough for a Fireball to be a 1-hit kill on the Pisacas to help with the speed of the whole process...

edit3: Aaaand I guess my advice is of no help to you, you mentioned you're in the Depths and I managed to miss that clue :) Anyway, when you'll get further, you might wanna check out the place I was mentioning for farming Humanity.

Defuser

My god, Bamco is so damn incompentant. How long does it take to roll out a damn patch? I really don't want to farm those souvenirs of reprisals and online PvP is a failure.

Kweh

Ugh, I downed Ornstein and got Super Smough down to less than half health, learnt his moveset, but only had ~1 estus left and eventually died. Haven't been able to kill Ornstein since, grrr.

Finalow

Defuser said:
My god, Bamco is so damn incompentant. How long does it take to roll out a damn patch? I really don't want to farm those souvenirs of reprisals and online PvP is a failure.
and without japanese people online i can't find anyone at SL 120. =|

johntown

Banned
Doing some PVP in Anor Londo for my Soveiners of Reprisal and the type of players are all over the place.

Rarely.....I would meet someone would would wait for you to get in and then bow and fight an honorable fight without any cheap magic etc.

Often.......I would meet someone using the fog ring, TWOP and Strong Magic Shield. I don't really have an issue with one of them being used but to use all 3 is just ultra cheap.

Most often......I would get killed before I could even move by either one or two players just waiting by the spawn point.

I think my biggest thing is the fog ring once they fix that the others things can be dealt with quite easily. Right now it seems like invading is the best PVP action you are going to get.

I have actually found a use for TWOP in PVP. Me and this other guy were chasing the host for about 10 minutes. The host had the ninja flip ring and lots of stamina buffs so neither of us were able to even land a hit on him. Finally, I used TWOP and we won. Sadly, though it is used on anybody for no reason whatsoever in the majority of PVP so I do understand people's complaints.

All I really want is some more honorable players in PVP......like in DES. Most players would bow and then fight and not stand right behind you and backstab you right as you came in.

I thought I could do this with the red sign but when I laid it......I got summoned by a guy who did fire surge on me before I could even move.

End Rant : D

BTW is there any agreed up levels for good PVP yet or builds?

Soulhouf

johntown said:
Rarely.....I would meet someone would would wait for you to get in and then bow and fight an honorable fight without any cheap magic etc.

Most often......I would get killed before I could even move by either one or two players just waiting by the spawn point.
That's the BIG difference between western and Japanese players. A Japanese player will always bows before beginning fight.
Most of the western players will not give a shit to that and will exploit any weakness (including attacking you while you are spawning or bowing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom