• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion434

Don't underestimate the power of Poison Arrows! I cheesed out the "Chunky" Arrow Knights in Anor Londo, then when I invaded the Fire Keeper's killer I just sat at 1 end of the room and poinsoned all 3 of them and they didn't move at all... then just waited there for them to die. Takes at least 18 Poison Arrows.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mortrialus said:
Yeah. And I believe that if you don't kill them fast enough, even more than four will appear.
That's insane... so when will we see some guy stacking up 10+ kings and defeat them?

Yoshichan said:
That's insane... so when will we see some guy stacking up 10+ kings and defeat them?
Yeah it is crazy. I just fought this boss last night for the first time and on one of my attempts when I wasn't doing so well I died with at least 4 of them floating around. That fight was rough, it felt good when I finally beat it.

Barrett2

Ok, getting back to ring the second bell wasn't bad. You don't really encounter many enemies going in through the back door.

So after ringing 2nd bell, should I
tackle Sen's Fortress (I presume that's what is behind the gate that just opened), or the Demon area below Quealag?

Got the Great Chaos Fireball, can't wait to bust this bad boy out on an unsuspecting enemy.

betty swollocks said:
So what do people do when you're invaded by someone you can't target?

I know nothing of this power but it appears to appear half the time. Not cool :\

Its the ring of fog. I've found that people who use it are usually terrible. Use a weapon with a wide swing radius like the scythe.

Yoshichan said:
What the hell just happened? I just had to beat five kings... as the fourth king died, he still had a bit of health left so the fifth king appeared...

Yea, this can happen, the guide said something about it. Maybe the 5th spawned before the 4th died?

edit: beaten so bad, not f5ing enough

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
betty swollocks said:
So what do people do when you're invaded by someone you can't target?

I know nothing of this power but it appears to appear half the time. Not cool :\

It's the stupid fog ring. You either die or use aoe attacks.

Yoshichan said:
What the hell just happened? I just had to beat five kings... as the fourth king died, he still had a bit of health left so the fifth king appeared...

I don't think they actually die. I think they hang around after defeated. I had this happen to me too...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lawblob said:
Ok, getting back to ring the second bell wasn't bad. You don't really encounter many enemies going in through the back door.

So after ringing 2nd bell, should I
tackle Sen's Fortress (I presume that's what is behind the gate that just opened), or the Demon area below Quealag?

Got the Great Chaos Fireball, can't wait to bust this bad boy out on an unsuspecting enemy.
Do whatever you please :) If you ask me, I'd go to
the Demon's Ruins
and explore as much as I can. When the game says "Stop", I'll go to
Sen's Fortress
:)

ced

rayner said:
Don't underestimate the power of Poison Arrows! I cheesed out the "Chunky" Arrow Knights in Anor Londo, then when I invaded the Fire Keeper's killer I just sat at 1 end of the room and poinsoned all 3 of them and they didn't move at all... then just waited there for them to die. Takes at least 18 Poison Arrows.

I tried that and my poison arrows didn't seem to actually poison him. Do you have to have a certain attribute level to get the poison effect? I also was very disappointed when I made a fire longbow that didn't do shit...

Lombax

Banned
Questions about upgrading weapons and using boss souls:

So last night I finished the boss fight in Anor Londo, and found the blacksmith. I thought this was the blacksmith that allowed you to use souls from other bosses to forge new weapons however I dont see any option to do so on his menu.

Now my big questions are:
1. I understand how to get a weapon to +5 on its own but after that it seems the only option I have is to bring it up to "Raw" how do I get a weapon to +10 to meet the requirements for creating a boss soul weapon? I have check both blacksmiths that I have found [Anor Londo and the one by the bonfire near Sen's Fortress]

2. I remember giving an ember to the blacksmith to the blacksmith near sens fortress what did this do for me? Is he now the only one who can create boss weapons? or should I have given it to the Giant Blacksmith?

I kind of just confused at this point and don not understand how to get a weapon to plus 10 and then who I should bring a boss souls to in order to forge a weapon.

KAOz

Short bus special
Lombax said:

So last night I finished the boss fight in Anor Londo, and found the blacksmith. I thought this was the blacksmith that allowed you to use souls from other bosses to forge new weapons however I dont see any option to do so on his menu.

1. I understand how to get a weapon to +5 on its own but after that it seems the only option I have is to bring it up to "Raw" how do I get a weapon to +10 to meet the requirements for creating a boss soul weapon? I have check both blacksmiths that I have found [Anor Londo and the one by the bonfire near Sen's Fortress]

2. I remember giving an ember to the blacksmith to the blacksmith near sens fortress what did this do for me? Is he now the only one who can create boss weapons? or should I have given it to the Giant Blacksmith?

I kind of just confused at this point and don not understand how to get a weapon to plus 10 and then who I should bring a boss souls to in order to forge a weapon.

You need to find the Large Ember and bring to Andre (blacksmith near Sen's). Then you can get it up to 10. You need a Very Large to bring it up to 15. You probably gave him the Divine Ember. No worries though, the blacksmiths who don't do a certain type of weapon, won't accept that ember. So you can't give it to the wrong smith.

commish

Lombax said:

1 - you have to give andre the one by Sen's Fortress a large ember, which you can find in the depths. This allows you to go to +10.

2 - it was probably the divine ember, which allows you to make divine wpns.

Owzers

lawblob said:
Forgot to ring bell after beating Blight Town boss. Gotta go back from Firelink. Ugh.

I forgot to at first but luckily i was farming Qulaag so i didn't leave yet. I thought it was the switch to an elevator :p

Just got done with my exploratory commission against Nito, i started the fight with 2 estus flasks, no Iron Flesh, and managed to get him down to half health while still having 7 fire orb spells left....i think i'll be okay without having to get the mega fire spell/fire sword/divine weapon.

I also accidently/not so accidently killed Patches. Xo

orion434

ced said:
I tried that and my poison arrows didn't seem to actually poison him. Do you have to have a certain attribute level to get the poison effect? I also was very disappointed when I made a fire longbow that didn't do shit...

The Knight Snippers on the Exterior need 2 consecutive Poison hits, if you go to the alcove where the 2 Bat Demons were, there are 2 pillars, most people try to snipe them behind the pillars closer to the knights, but if you go to the back pillars they can't reach you with their "chunky" arrows. At that distance the Arrows have a high arc, but once you get a beat on them fire 2 Poison Arrows as quickly as possible and it should poison them.

The Fire Keeper killer, you need to fire 3 arrows on each enemy and the poison should take off ~ 500 HP to each enemy, so you need to do it twice to them all.

Darklord

Banned
This is the second time I'm playing online and I see no markings for me to read. There were heaps last time. Do they not show up in the same more than once or something?

Barrett2

Damn, after ringing the second bell Firelink is all
fucked up. The dude in gold has disappeared, the mute girl is dead, I can't rest at the bonfire, and there's some goddamn SMB squid thing creeping!

Yoshichan

lawblob said:
fucked up. The dude in gold has disappeared, the mute girl is dead, I can't rest at the bonfire, and there's some goddamn SMB squid thing creeping!
Did you get the Black Eye Orb?

Beat Seath this morning and moved on to the Catacombs...I'm not QUITE to the boss yet, but this area was much easier than the Duke's Archives.

Barrett2

Yoshichan said:
Did you get the Black Eye Orb?

Yes, but im' not sure where or how to use it.

Shit, I don't even really know how to get better weapons.
I have a few Souls from bosses, and tons of shards and slabs, but have no idea where I go to use that stuff to get a better sword than the +2 Drake Sword.

Yoshichan

lawblob said:
Just keep it in your bag. It'll vibrate when you should be using it
for your revenge :). It'll start vibrating in Anor Londo.

commish

lawblob said:

I have a few Souls from bosses, and tons of shards and slabs, but have no idea where I go to use that stuff to get a better sword than the +2 Drake Sword.

Weapon upgrades make ALL the difference.

As for the black orb, you'll know when to use it. It's simply impossible to miss.

gilljoy

where do I go next?

Just managed to kill the bell gargoyles now where do I have to go? I really wana get pyromancy :( but I dont think I will be able to now for a while

lawblob said:

Unfortunately he's a Yurt #2 :(. Me and my buddy at work found this out and I went home and killed him (even after ringing the second Bell, but I think it depends on how many times you return to Firelink).

He drops a great ring, although it breaks when you take it off (but you won't want to take it off)

Moofers

gilljoy said:
where do I go next?

Just managed to kill the bell gargoyles now where do I have to go? I really wana get pyromancy :( but I dont think I will be able to now for a while

Pyromancy is closer than you might think. You gotta clear out the depths next. You'll find a guy trapped in a barrel somewhere not too far down, and he's your pyro trainer. Like everyone else, he'll meet you up in Firelink after a while and that's when you can start doing business.

**Edit** Capra demon is next for you. He's got the depths key.

StMeph

Lombax said:

The giant blacksmith at Anor Londo is, in fact, the only one that can use boss souls to create weapons. But to do so you have to have the correct weapon at +10 already.

Only the blacksmith
in the Undead Parish
can ascend weapons from +5 to +6 (and on to +10). To do so you have to
give him the Large Ember, which is found in a chest in the Depths, behind the butcher near the normal entrance from lower Undead Burg.

Edit: Note: With each breakpoint for new tiers, you have to actually Modify the weapon (different menu option) first.

Weapons are now on a branching tree:

T1
- Normal +1-5

T2 (Requires +5 Normal)
- Normal +6-10
- Divine +1-5
- Fire +1-5
- Magic +1-5
- Raw +1-5 (end of upgrades)

T3 (Varying requirements)
- Normal +11-15 (from Normal +10)
- Lightning (from Normal +10)
- Crystal (from Normal +10)
- Divine +6-10 (from Divine +5)
- Occult +1-5 (from Divine +5)
- Fire +6-10 (from Fire +5)
- Chaos +1-5 (from Fire +5)
- Magic +6-10 (from Magic +5)
- Enchanted +1-5 (from Magic +5)

There are 4 blacksmiths in the game:

Andrei (Undead Parish)
Across from the church, near Sen's Fortress.

He can turn +5 weapons into Raw weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Ember to continue upgrading +5 to +6-10
- Very Large Ember to continue upgrading +10 to +11-15
- Divine Ember to upgrade +5 to +1-5 Divine
- Large Divine Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +6-10 Divine
- Dark Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +1-5 Occult

Giant (Anor Londo)
Near the end of the castle, though it's a short run once you have the Lordvessel.

He can turn +10 weapons into Lightning weapons.

You can give him:
- Crystal Ember to turn +10 weapons into +1-5 Crystal weapons
- +10 weapons & boss soul for unique boss soul weapons

Vamos (Catacombs)
A little bit out of the way, as you have to drop down a certain staircase to reach him; only after that will the "normal" route be opened up. It's a good shortcut, anyway.

He can turn +5 weapons into Fire weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Fire Ember to continue upgrading Fire to +6-10
- Chaos Flame Ember to upgrade a +5 Fire weapon to +1-5 Chaos weapon

Rickert (New Londo Ruins)
Accessible from the beginning of the game, as he's in the beginning part of NLR, away from ghosts or any hostile enemies.

He can turn +5 weapons into Magic weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Magic Ember to allow +6-10 Magic weapon
- Enchanted Ember to upgrade +5 Magic to +1-5 Enchanted weapon

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lombax said:

after +5, you need to 'modify' it, and choose +6. standard blacksmiths can do that. Then its normal 'reinforce' to get up to +10

orion434

lawblob said:

In Sen's Fortress you will find a Lightning Spear that is really nice, in addition to that you can make a weapon from a Boss Soul if you have a curved blade at +10
Quelaag's Fury
The Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo is the one that makes boss-soul items.

scy

FuttBuck said:
Unfortunately he's a Yurt #2 :(. Me and my buddy at work found this out and I went home and killed him (even after ringing the second Bell, but I think it depends on how many times you return to Firelink).

Well, you can also
undo his treachery by killing him later and reviving the girl; she speaks then, too, so it's a nice little addition

Though, what exactly is his trigger? I always thought it was
the second bell, but I've gotten him to kill the girl off prior to me ringing any bells

Nito is fucking me up -- I have high level pyromancy, +5 divine/lightning weapon, etc.

Crystal moonlight shield seems to fuck him up with lightning spear in hand, but I got raped by the skeletons coming back to life...

What's my best option to kill this fucker?

Also, if I kill him, does that fuck up the humanity farming on the baby skeletons?

mrklaw said:
after +5, you need to 'modify' it, and choose +6. standard blacksmiths can do that. Then its normal 'reinforce' to get up to +10

I think only the blacksmith at undead church can do that (Andrei). Not sure, you might need an ember for it too?

Nice summary meph :)

Got Fury last night and it's very fast, looking forward to seeing how it backstabs the knights in the last chamber.

Going to look for all my slabs tonight and try to farm the Knights in New Londo again...did it for a few runs last night and not even a chunk ;_;

Just got the guide from Bookdepository.co.uk, shipment to mainland EU took a week, not too bad. Packaging was fine too.
Holy shit is it big. I never bought a guide before but looking up the wiki for Demon's Souls was quite tedious so I wanted to have something physical for NG+ onwards.

corrosivefrost said:
Nito is fucking me up -- I have high level pyromancy, +5 divine/lightning weapon, etc.

Crystal moonlight shield seems to fuck him up with lightning spear in hand, but I got raped by the skeletons coming back to life...

What's my best option to kill this fucker?

Also, if I kill him, does that fuck up the humanity farming on the baby skeletons?

I think only the blacksmith at undead church can do that (Andrei). Not sure, you might need an ember for it too?

Kill the skeletons w/ the divine weapons so they don't come back to life!

ShogunX

Had a good time last night invading the worlds of the guilty in Anor Londo. Invaded some guy who had summoned two other players with him and they managed to get me in a pincer move and killed me on the stairs in the great hall.

About 20 minutes later I invaded them again only this time I had poison cloud at the ready. Once again they tried the pincer move only to all be poisoned and run away in a panic as their health drained slowly. During the panic and separation I back stabbed both of the summoned players and then went after the guilty. I found him hiding in a room thanks to the slow poison damage revealing his position. As expected the guilty was swiftly executed and the blood drained ear entered my inventory.

Obviously I received a message telling me that ''I just want to defeat the boss dude leave us alone''.....So to cut it short - He ended up summoning me and we beat the boss.

Crazy game.

demosthenes said:
Kill the skeletons w/ the divine weapons so they don't come back to life!

Tried that, but Nito reallllllly likes me, and he's fast it seems too, contrary to what you would think. So by the time the skeletons show up and get owned, Nito is in my face and I can't swap to my lightning weapon to beat him to death... I think the difference between lightning spear +5 and divine iaito +5 for the crystal shield damage will be noticeable. :(

scy

sonicmj1 said:
If you use an occult weapon, will that do the same thing?

It's a property of Divine itself so, nope.

Yo Gotti said:
Wow.

Watching this DSPGaming playthrough, he beat Capra Demon on his first try? LOL.

Didn't he have issues figuring out like ... rolling and blocking? I mean, Capra isn't too hard if your stamina/shield can handle his two handed overhead but still.

Lombax

Banned
StMeph said:
The giant blacksmith at Anor Londo is, in fact, the only one that can use boss souls to create weapons. But to do so you have to have the correct weapon at +10 already.

Only the blacksmith
in the Undead Parish
can ascend weapons from +5 to +6 (and on to +10). To do so you have to
give him the Large Ember, which is found in a chest in the Depths, behind the butcher near the normal entrance from lower Undead Burg.

Edit: Note: With each breakpoint for new tiers, you have to actually Modify the weapon (different menu option) first.

Weapons are now on a branching tree:

T1
- Normal +1-5

T2 (Requires +5 Normal)
- Normal +6-10
- Divine +1-5
- Fire +1-5
- Magic +1-5
- Raw +1-5 (end of upgrades)

T3 (Varying requirements)
- Normal +11-15 (from Normal +10)
- Lightning (from Normal +10)
- Crystal (from Normal +10)
- Divine +6-10 (from Divine +5)
- Occult +1-5 (from Divine +5)
- Fire +6-10 (from Fire +5)
- Chaos +1-5 (from Fire +5)
- Magic +6-10 (from Magic +5)
- Enchanted +1-5 (from Magic +5)

There are 4 blacksmiths in the game:

Andrei (Undead Parish)
Across from the church, near Sen's Fortress.

He can turn +5 weapons into Raw weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Ember to continue upgrading +5 to +6-10
- Very Large Ember to continue upgrading +10 to +11-15
- Divine Ember to upgrade +5 to +1-5 Divine
- Large Divine Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +6-10 Divine
- Dark Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +1-5 Occult

Giant (Anor Londo)
Near the end of the castle, though it's a short run once you have the Lordvessel.

He can turn +10 weapons into Lightning weapons.

You can give him:
- Crystal Ember to turn +10 weapons into +1-5 Crystal weapons
- +10 weapons & boss soul for unique boss soul weapons

Vamos (Catacombs)
A little bit out of the way, as you have to drop down a certain staircase to reach him; only after that will the "normal" route be opened up. It's a good shortcut, anyway.

He can turn +5 weapons into Fire weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Fire Ember to continue upgrading Fire to +6-10
- Chaos Flame Ember to upgrade a +5 Fire weapon to +1-5 Chaos weapon

Rickert (New Londo Ruins)
Accessible from the beginning of the game, as he's in the beginning part of NLR, away from ghosts or any hostile enemies.

He can turn +5 weapons into Magic weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Magic Ember to allow +6-10 Magic weapon
- Enchanted Ember to upgrade +5 Magic to +1-5 Enchanted weapon

thank you very much for that explanation. Also thanks to mrklaw, commish, and KAOz

Yo Gotti

Banned
scy said:
Didn't he have issues figuring out like ... rolling and blocking? I mean, Capra isn't too hard if your stamina/shield can handle his two handed overhead but still.

Yea, that's what's funny. He ate the 2 handed overhead everytime.

He's a pro at running away and healing.

Yoshichan

Yo Gotti said:
Wow.

Watching this DSPGaming playthrough, he beat Capra Demon on his first try? LOL.
Well, he did use the Drakesword... so uh, it would be ez-mode even for DSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom