• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-Gief

Yoshichan said:
You guys are evil as hell.

Either that, or you're all a bunch of trophy whores :/
Haha. killed her on my first run for the trophy and Lifehunt Scythe. Never killed her again after that. Cumulative playthrough #6 in the making right now(main character at ng++, newest character starting ng++).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ezenzer said:
60 hours in across a few characters and I just got to Blighttown. Dark Souls has quickly gone from my undisputed Game of the Forever to merely a great game. Difficulty isn't the main issue; It's a poorly designed technical mess in almost every way imaginable. Blighttown is meeting the most gorgeous woman ever and then cringing when she opens her mouth to reveal rancid, rotted teeth.

I liked blighttown. A little too ambitious for the hardware, but it was interesting going up and down the ladders, all overlapping and interconnecting. Also fairly straightforward once you've mapped it out in your head.

Only complaints are the mosquitos (just keep moving I guess and they're mainly a pain lower down) and the bastard toxic dart throwers. Used up all my white/purple moss to cure toxin, only to get instantly fucked again because I couldn't see or hear what was going on. Luckily
they don't respawn.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
33-Hit-Combo said:
Duuuuuude... How many Estus upgrades can you get? I'm on +6 atm.
+7 is max :)

Saya

I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow and am thinking about getting Dark Souls with it. Or do you guys think I should play Demon's Souls first before this one? Are the mechanics, gameplay etc improved much? I'm afraid once I finish Dark Souls, Demon's Souls will disappoint...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Saya said:
I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow and am thinking about getting Dark Souls with it. Or do you guys think I should play Demon's Souls first before this one? Are the mechanics, gameplay etc improved much? I'm afraid once I finish Dark Souls, Demon's Souls will disappoint...
Play demon's souls first and I'm supposed to be in bed... AWAY I GO!

Saya said:

You can play them in any order so if you would rather play the more current one while everyone else is playing it then play Dark Souls know and play demon souls later when you find the time.

Kweh said:
I still can't beat the Bell Gargoyle(s) :/
Revert to Human, there is an NPC summon for help just before the fight, use lighting weapon enchantment (AKA win button for early bosses). Everything will be over in a minute.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What's with the first gate you can open at Undead Parish (the one behind the
metal boar
)? I opened it, died and when I got back there it was closed again :(

V_Arnold

Clown_im_OP said:
What's with the first gate you can open at Undead Parish (the one behind the
metal boar
)? I opened it, died and when I got back there it was closed again :(

If it is open, and you engage the mobs standing there, one will run back behind and will try to close it again. So make sure that you do not go to that area from the bridge, but instead go from behind, once you got the shortcut to Firelink Shrine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
V_Arnold said:
If it is open, and you engage the mobs standing there, one will run back behind and will try to close it again. So make sure that you do not go to that area from the bridge, but instead go from behind, once you got the shortcut to Firelink Shrine.

nah, they only did that to me once. I think it only triggers the guy to close it if you approach too close. Ping them with an arrow from the tunnel and they'll come towards you to pick off, leaving the door open.

Although TBH I'm not sure I've ever needed it open. If you're at the undead burg bonfire then its pretty quick to run back to the firelink shrine and up the elevator to undead parish church.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH YEAH!! LET'S GO FOLKS, LET'S GO!

iyGv5Dt0rNvcJ.JPG

Yoshichan

YES!!! I can't wait to start doing side quests and experience the complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution story!

mrklaw said:
I liked blighttown. A little too ambitious for the hardware, but it was interesting going up and down the ladders, all overlapping and interconnecting. Also fairly straightforward once you've mapped it out in your head.

Only complaints are the mosquitos (just keep moving I guess and they're mainly a pain lower down) and the bastard toxic dart throwers. Used up all my white/purple moss to cure toxin, only to get instantly fucked again because I couldn't see or hear what was going on. Luckily
they don't respawn.
A little too ambitious is being very generous. I don't have any issues with the area from a gameplay standpoint besides, like you, the skeeters and dart throwers. I've already passed it since making that post. It was just a really disappointing area to see in a game I've otherwise enjoyed tremendously.

Yoshichan

Wow, so there's a total of
Crystal Lizards in DkS... I found like, 4 of them :lol

Well, I beat the Capra demon. Only took me 3 attempts I think, off to the depths I go! (Tomorrow, I have to be up for work in 6 hours...damn you Dark Souls).

Yoshichan

33-Hit-Combo said:
I bet the other 16 were in the Hollow... FUCKERS. I didn't bother with them.
Mother of God, 9 of them were in the Hollow :lol

GeekyDad

Anyone got a basic breakdown of the main components that are different from Demon's Souls? I'm renting the game, so no manual, and I'm still a little in the dark (no pun intended) when it comes to various gameplay/story devices. Here's a short list of things I'm still uncertain of how they work:

1. Humanity. I know it increases drop rate and allows you to summon other players. But I've read you can drop humanity? Also, it's listed as a stat? Do I need to level it up like my other stats, and if so, will it be permanent?

2. Kindling fires. What does it do, how often do I need to do it? Which fires? What do I need in order to kindle.

3. Where do I repair equipment? And what ingredients should I keep a look out for with respect to "+" weapons?

4. The Home Bone I'm assuming sends me back to the first bonfire (or the last bonfire, not sure). Is that reusable, or an item that's consumed.

Thanks for any and all help.

Yoshichan said:
Mother of God, 9 of them were in the Hollow :lol

I don't think I got one of them. Way too scared of falling off, and some I didn't even know how to get to! Glad they don't have exclusive ores or anything though.

Raw64life

So apparently with Siegmeyer in the L
ost Izalith, you can kill 3 of the octopus dudes with ranged attacks and just wait until he dives in to kill the last one. The guide tells you not to engage the enemy
. Pretty vague, and I feel like the guide pretty much lied to me.

Yoshichan

GeekyDad said:
1. Humanity. I know it increases drop rate and allows you to summon other players. But I've read you can drop humanity? Also, it's listed as a stat? Do I need to level it up like my other stats, and if so, will it be permanent?

2. Kindling fires. What does it do, how often do I need to do it? Which fires? What do I need in order to kindle.

3. Where do I repair equipment? And what ingredients should I keep a look out for with respect to "+" weapons?

4. The Home Bone I'm assuming sends me back to the first bonfire (or the last bonfire, not sure). Is that reusable, or an item that's consumed.

Thanks for any and all help.
1. Humanity increases drop rate and poison resistance and allows you to do some things that you can't do as an hollow. You can see the amount of humanity you have in the top left corner of your screen. When you die (twice without getting to your corpse), they're gone forever - it's the identical system as your souls.

2. Kindling fires allows you to get additional (+5) Estus Flasks. You can only kindle a bonfire once - you decide which ones' you want to kindle (depending on how hard that specific part of the game is). To kindle, you need to be in human form (costs 1 humanity). Then you need to actually kindle the bonfire, which also costs another humanity (total of 2 humanity to kindle if you're hollow).

3. You repair your equipment at a blacksmith. You will eventually get the opportunity to be able to repair at the bonfires.

4. The Homebone is a consumable. It sends you back to your last bonfire that you used.

Jesus christ I swear they've doubled the number of Ghosts in New Londo Ruins in NG+. I'm running through the area like normal and I'm getting jumped by 6-10+ of them at a time.

Insaniac

SL 92 now and I'm still using the same ol sorcerer's catalyst. booooooooooring. I want something new and more powerful and the only catalyst(s) i've found so far weaken my magic damage. Is there one I've missed? (currently beat anor londo)

orion434

I'm in Anor Londo and ready to take on the bosses, I turn human and summon Soltaire and then I'm trying to summon another player, I get invaded then I am successful summoning another player and we enter the Boss room and it briefly says something like "Invader was returned to his realm" or something like that. Then as I'm fighting the boss he sends me a message calling me a "pussy" so I promptly file a complaint, avoid player and block communications.

What does it tell an invading player when they enter the boss?

Mortrialus said:
Jesus christ I swear they've doubled the number of Ghosts in New Londo Ruins in NG+. I'm running through the area like normal and I'm getting jumped by 6-10+ of them at a time.

did you try the fog ring? might help.

lawblob said:
Forgot to ring bell after beating Blight Town boss. Gotta go back from Firelink. Ugh.

lol, sounds like the worst thing that can happen in the game. this or tomb of giants.

Yoshichan

lawblob said:
Forgot to ring bell after beating Blight Town boss. Gotta go back from Firelink. Ugh.
Hahahahah, how could you even miss such a thing?!

GeekyDad

Yoshichan said:
1. Humanity increases drop rate and poison resistance and allows you to do some things that you can't do as an hollow. You can see the amount of humanity you have in the top left corner of your screen. When you die (twice without getting to your corpse), they're gone forever - it's the identical system as your souls.

2. Kindling fires allows you to get additional (+5) Estus Flasks. You can only kindle a bonfire once - you decide which ones' you want to kindle (depending on how hard that specific part of the game is). To kindle, you need to be in human form (costs 1 humanity). Then you need to actually kindle the bonfire, which also costs another humanity (total of 2 humanity to kindle if you're hollow).

3. You repair your equipment at a blacksmith. You will eventually get the opportunity to be able to repair at the bonfires.

4. The Homebone is a consumable. It sends you back to your last bonfire that you used.

Many thanks.

So, I don't level up my humanity, then? It's just acquired? And you said, die twice? So, if I get back to my body, I regain that humanity same as my souls? But of course, I don't get back my human form if I was in human form, right?

StMeph

rayner said:
What does it tell an invading player when they enter the boss?

The short of it is that it tells the invader the host has entered a boss encounter, and so they are booted out and returned to their world.

orion434

33-Hit-Combo said:
I bet the other 16 were in the Hollow... FUCKERS. I didn't bother with them.

I believe there are 7 Crystal Lizards in The Great Hollows. The strategy guide is a little off with the location of 1 of them. It lists 5 in 1 area / tunnel but it's really 4 there and the other is located on a landing after you climb up the 2 ladders.

There is a little trick you can use if you scare them away or they get away from you. If you DO NOT use rest at a Bonfire and quit the game and then turn off the console, they will reappear in their exact location. This is for the Xbox 360 version. I used this method to get all 7 in the hollows.

Yoshichan

GeekyDad said:
Many thanks.

So, I don't level up my humanity, then? It's just acquired? And you said, die twice? So, if I get back to my body, I regain that humanity same as my souls? But of course, I don't get back my human form if I was in human form, right?
You don't level up your humanity. You can get humanity through many things but mostly you get it from consumables (that you get from rats and some other enemies). You're 100% correct about the rest; if you go back to your humanity, you regain that humanity (same thing with souls). You don't turn into human though, even if you get your corpse back.

orion434

StMeph said:
The short of it is that it tells the invader the host has entered a boss encounter, and so they are booted out and returned to their world.

If they used an item to invade do they lose that?

Yoshichan

What the hell just happened? I just had to beat five kings... as the fourth king died, he still had a bit of health left so the fifth king appeared...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lawblob said:

nah, piss.

Go in from Valley of the drakes, rush down the ladders ignoring enemies, sprint across the swamp without stopping (poison is slow) into the boss area and ring the bell. 10 minutes tops :p

Yoshichan said:
What the hell just happened? I just had to beat five kings... as the fourth king died, he still had a bit of health left so the fifth king appeared...

Nope. They keep respawning. As long as the main health bar still has health, they will continually respawn.

Yoshichan

Mortrialus said:
Nope. They keep respawning. As long as the main health bar still has health, they will continually respawn.
That's hilarious, :lol It didn't happen to me before

ced

lawblob said:

Well at least you didn't miss the bonfire in Sen's Fortress and the beginning of Anor Londo then fall down the elevator. Nothing like a second trip through Sen's shithole. Oh and forgot to mention, didn't know about the cage shortcut either lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom