• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

.GqueB. said:
The bridge you fight the Gargoyle on is always pretty populated. I was trying to summon a friend last night and I saw about 4-5 summon signs pop up in the first few minutes I was there. I imagine most people see this and just camp that area for summons. This may be a bit risky though. You may end up getting summoned by someone who JUST beat the gargoyle.

Bottom of the stairs leading to O + S isnt a bad spot either. But again, you have to hope they opened the door or you'll have to go through that horrid part with the archers again. Id say put it right in front of the door but that may lead to iffy results. I imagine most are looking to summon before they get to the golems.
I've settled on the fire right after the archers...even if there is a lull there is lots of of knights to kill each of which can drop cool stuff like the silver spear, halberd etc. When invading there you also cover the golem area and vice versa...so its like two for one...I like helping noobs, or people frustrated and wanting help.....but I just found more action there as most people avoid the archers and possible door locks by going backward from gwynivere in order to drop their signs for help, or to hunt invaders etc......

.GqueB.

Banned
johntown said:
Magic is good and if I had to choose one it would be either the spear or the painted sword. The only problem here is if you go Magic you have to drop those weapons back to +5. The magic upgrade starts there.

Besides lightning and fire based weapons the others are stat dependant. What are your stats and I will tell you if it is even worth the upgrade.

EDIT: Shields yes you should be ascending them.
I'll have to answer the stat question later. At work (working hard as you can see).

My best guess (for now) is:

VIT 17
ATT 18
END 20
STR 18
DEX 22
RES 17
INT 22
FAI 14

Sort of all over the place. But from here on out, Im probably gonna focus on Dex, Att, int, and end (not much focus I know, lol)

Just got back from vacation, so excuse my cluelessness, is there a good rundown on the 1.04 patch, especially regarding the scaling changes? I saw Duckroll's translation, but now I'm curious if there's any good rundowns from JP players on everything that's been changed so far, and any notes on when the patch will be hitting stateside 360s?

theta11

johntown said:
Yeah I think I am going to go with STR but my VIT will stay at 20 and probably END too. I don't really care for the massive weapons or heavy armor so END does not really need to be too high.

How my stats are now I think my build will be complete at around SL130 - SL135 (below). Currently at SL99 and I need to build up my STR to 50 and END to 20. For the final build if I could change the stats DEX would be at 25 and FAI would be at 18.

VIT 20
ATT 16 - 19
END 20
STR 50
DEX 26
RES 10
INT 50
FAI 20

No reason to raise STR that high, most scaling starts to suffer from DR at 40, unless there is a weapon that you want to one hand that requires 50 STR. and you VIT is low if you plan to PVP over level 100.

2AdEPT

I got the blacknight great axe first kill with no ring on, no humanity in the catacombs....then only a half hour later I got the halbred from the one in TOTG with the same character, same crappy item drop stats.......I've always felt that there were certain situations that From doesn't leak out to be able to avoid farming.....the same thing happened to me in demon;s where I had just changed worlds, then shifted tendency to black, then got the pure bladestone....was just farming souls...not even trying.......twice, same character. The tunnel was like that on 2.1 when going for spiderstone....first run through great drops....by the third it was 0 for like 3 runs in a row. But leave, do stuff in another world, reset the tendency, and voila....back to better drop rate.

For the Dark souls scenario I mentioned above......Could the reason be that I just boosted my magic stat and was wielding the moonlight? so it figures.....lets give him some strength weapons so he doesn't stay in sorcery?!?!?!!?!?

Let's face it......I went through two characters in early game, over 250 hours total, and not got either of these weapons....then all of a sudden I get both in succession?.....Surely there must be something going on???

scy

.GqueB. said:
I'll have to answer the stat question later. At work (working hard as you can see).

VIT 17
ATT 18
END 20
STR 18
DEX 22
RES 17
INT 22
FAI 14

Sort of all over the place. But from here on out, Im probably gonna focus on Dex, Att, int, and end (not much focus I know, lol)

Well, you can aim for 19 STR (lets you two-hand the Murakumo and Sever weapons) and then 19 Attunement nets you 5 Spell Slots. 44 INT gets you access to Crystal Soulmass down the road so I say we're looking at:

VIT - A lot?
ATT - 19
END - 40
STR - 19
DEX - 30-40
RES - 17
INT - 44
FAI - 14

If you don't care about PvP, don't worry too much about when you stop points in DEX, INT, etc. sort of things. 44 INT is a good stopping point for the spell, 40 DEX is a good stopping point for the damage scaling, 40 END is when your Stamina stops increasing, and 19 Attunement is 5 spell slots which, personally, is more than enough to me. VIT is to whatever you want it to be, honestly; 50 is around when it sort of slows down.

Dresden

2AdEPT said:
I got the blacknight great axe first kill with no ring on, no humanity in the catacombs....then only a half hour later I got the halbred from the one in TOTG with the same character, same crappy item drop stats.......I've always felt that there were certain situations that From doesn't leak out to be able to avoid farming.....the same thing happened to me in demon;s where I had just changed worlds, then shifted tendency to black, then got the pure bladestone....was just farming souls...not even trying.......twice, same character. The tunnel was like that on 2.1 when going for spiderstone....first run through great drops....by the third it was 0 for like 3 runs in a row. But leave, do stuff in another world, reset the tendency, and voila....back to better drop rate.

For the Dark souls scenario I mentioned above......Could the reason be that I just boosted my magic stat and was wielding the moonlight? so it figures.....lets give him some strength weapons so he doesn't stay in sorcery?!?!?!!?!?

Let's face it......I went through two characters in early game, over 250 hours total, and not got either of these weapons....then all of a sudden I get both in succession?.....Surely there must be something going on???
that's how drops work man

luck

chance

johntown

Banned
.GqueB. said:

VIT 17
ATT 18
END 20
STR 18
DEX 22
RES 17
INT 22
FAI 14

Yeah with INT being the highest and it looks like that is the direction you are going then Magic is a good way to go. If you are going for DEX more than the sword will be better to upgrade to magic then the spear.

The +15 path is good for STR builds who want to use the magic weapon spell (great damage)

Divine - scales with FAI so no need to do that "right now" but you will need a divine weapon later.

Occult - better scaling with FAI. I don't think too many people use this.

Enchated - best magic scaling higher magic damage but lower weapon damage.

Crystal - higher base damage but only ascend if you are going for plantinum

Chaos - scales with humanity but no real experience with this one.

Skullkid said:
I just explored Blighttown again in NG++. The area is pretty easy after you know the layout and have the right equipment. The graphics would be great with a decent framerate - looking down at the scenery from above is pretty impressive.

I don't get the drops in framerate either - it's like they just tried to have too much going on in the area (respawning mosquitos, huge draw distance, tons of enemies). Just get rid of the respawning mosquitos and cut the number of enemies down and the area would be kind of fun.

The very top of Blighttown (The worst part of it, in my opinion) is an entirely optional area. You can beat the game without ever entering that area, or the depths for that matter. You don't even need the Master Key to do it either, just go to darkroot garden, ride the elevator to valley of drakes, and then run to the windmill tower from there. I'm doing that on NG+ since there's nothing interesting in that part of blighttown anyway.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to spawn Lady Quelana without killing Quelaag?

johntown

Banned
theta11 said:
No reason to raise STR that high, most scaling starts to suffer from DR at 40, unless there is a weapon that you want to one hand that requires 50 STR. and you VIT is low if you plan to PVP over level 100.
Hmmm yeah the weapons I want don't require that much but I really like the Butchers Knife and that has B scaling with STR. I guess I could put more point into VIT because END really does not matter too much to me.

scosher

Crystal Soulmass is only 24 Int req, scy, and 31 for all five orbs. Think you're confusing it with Crystal Soul Spear.

johntown said:
Hmmm yeah the weapons I want don't require that much but I really like the Butchers Knife and that has B scaling with STR. I guess I could put more point into VIT because END really does not matter too much to me.

You should reconsider investing in End. It's your most important combat/PvP stat, since it affects every aspect of it but casting spells/pyromancies. You can get more swings in, an extra dodge roll, more blocks before getting staggered, etc. Not to mention the equip burden to use heavier armor or make it easier to get under <25%.

Any build should really look at getting, by SL120, a minimum 40 in Vit (and no more than 50), 40 in End, and 40 in your main damage stat (increasing it further if you're Int or Faith based and plan on using weapon enchants, or want access to a higher level spell)

scy

scosher said:
Crystal Soulmass is only 24 Int req, scy, and 31 for all five orbs. Think you're confusing it with Crystal Soul Spear.

Yeah, you're right. What the hell, I should've double-checked that. Especially since 44 for Soulmass would've just been two orbs and that's pretty mediocre. Really don't know my INT spells, I suppose :/

2AdEPT

Dresden said:
that's how drops work man

luck

chance
Believe me, I understand probability etc. IF that's the way the programmers set it up....but obviously they can set it up how they want. Just look at the Poker sites as an example.....not to get into too much detail, but everyone agrees its not the same as pure chance, or real cards, which is different. At very least, since online tourneys have a start and finish time the showdowns with two of 8 players getting QQ vs. AA just about every hand starts happening to ensure the tourney ends on time.....this never happens in real cards yet on online tourneys, they never go overtime, as this would kill business for the next tourney.

FROM is the type of developer that likes to manipulate things and get creative....I seriously doubt they just went with the straight old random string programming....seriously doubt.

Danielsan

Finally decided to get back into Dark Souls this week.
Finished The Great Hollow, beat the Hydra in Ash Lake, went through New Londo and beat the Four Kings, went back to the Crystal Caves and smoked Seath's ass and ventured into the Catacombs for the first time and beat Pinwheel.

Sadly now I've hit the Tomb of Giants and I fucking hate it already. I can make it past the first two giant Skeletons, but then I get ganged up by two of them at the part where some archer is shooting dragon arrows in my general direction. I really can't wait to get that lantern so I can see where the fuck I'm going.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
You should reconsider investing in End. It's your most important combat/PvP stat, since it affects every aspect of it but casting spells/pyromancies. You can get more swings in, an extra dodge roll, more blocks before getting staggered, etc. Not to mention the equip burden to use heavier armor or make it easier to get under <25%.

Any build should really look at getting, by SL120, a minimum 40 in Vit (and no more than 50), 40 in End, and 40 in your main damage stat (increasing it further if you're Int or Faith based and plan on using weapon enchants, or want access to a higher level spell)
See I don't use heavy armor so I does not matter as much to me. I am mainly and INT build but you need more than INT for PVP.

I see your point in END but my I just don't really need it. Right now it is at 14 and I am doing ok in PVP as a pure INT user (I can win about 1/3). I use a magic uchigatana+10 but that does not do too much to the heavy armor users......which is why I am adding some STR based weapons.

2AdEPT

Nora Kisaragi said:
The very top of Blighttown (The worst part of it, in my opinion) is an entirely optional area. You can beat the game without ever entering that area, or the depths for that matter. You don't even need the Master Key to do it either, just go to darkroot garden, ride the elevator to valley of drakes, and then run to the windmill tower from there. I'm doing that on NG+ since there's nothing interesting in that part of blighttown anyway.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to spawn Lady Quelana without killing Quelaag?

I don't see why not...you have to get your glove to plus ?10 or ?15 (sorry can't remember what the level is)from Laurentius though...which is hard with out glitching for souls...especially early game.

Sullichin

Nora Kisaragi said:

in NG+, Quelana was there before I fought Quelaag.

Blighttown sucks lol.

Another area with terrible framerate is that are in the beginning of the depths with the two dogs and the undead where you have to wade through the water.

The framerate issues in this game are really irksome because they definitely affect gameplay :/

.GqueB.

Banned
scy said:
Well, you can aim for 19 STR (lets you two-hand the Murakumo and Sever weapons) and then 19 Attunement nets you 5 Spell Slots. 44 INT gets you access to Crystal Soulmass down the road so I say we're looking at:

VIT - A lot?
ATT - 19
END - 40
STR - 19
DEX - 30-40
RES - 17
INT - 44
FAI - 14

If you don't care about PvP, don't worry too much about when you stop points in DEX, INT, etc. sort of things. 44 INT is a good stopping point for the spell, 40 DEX is a good stopping point for the damage scaling, 40 END is when your Stamina stops increasing, and 19 Attunement is 5 spell slots which, personally, is more than enough to me. VIT is to whatever you want it to be, honestly; 50 is around when it sort of slows down.

johntown said:
Yeah with INT being the highest and it looks like that is the direction you are going then Magic is a good way to go. If you are going for DEX more than the sword will be better to upgrade to magic then the spear.

The +15 path is good for STR builds who want to use the magic weapon spell (great damage)

Divine - scales with FAI so no need to do that "right now" but you will need a divine weapon later.

Occult - better scaling with FAI. I don't think too many people use this.

Enchated - best magic scaling higher magic damage but lower weapon damage.

Crystal - higher base damage but only ascend if you are going for plantinum

Chaos - scales with humanity but no real experience with this one.

Thanks so much peeps. Very helpful.

scy

johntown said:
See I don't use heavy armor so I does not matter as much to me. I am mainly and INT build but you need more than INT for PVP.

I see your point in END but my I just don't really need it. Right now it is at 14 and I am doing ok in PVP as a pure INT user (I can win about 1/3). I use a magic uchigatana+10 but that does not do too much to the heavy armor users......which is why I am adding some STR based weapons.

You'd be better served with Elemental weapons probably; less of a stat overhaul that way. STR/INT hybrid is essentially a weapon buff build that has Elemental as backup (or an Enchanted+5 weapon) or for the added utility it brings.

Since scosher corrected me there, I need to look back over my plans on an INT build. Maybe. I mean, 34 STR/44 INT still seems like a good call in the grand scheme of things to get more out of CMW here; maybe just go 34/40 to save some points. Perhaps 40 DEX/31 INT makes more sense since you're aiming for better backstab damage? Hm. I'll have to do some math later.

Hm. I should go soul glitch some characters and try things out :/ But all the farming and NG++ runs... And I still need to finish my DEX Faith and STR Faith characters and they have a lot of covenant stuff to do for Darkmoon Blade Enchants and GGSD spells.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bounding demons of Izalith - how!?

and am I a bad man for killing big hat logan because I wanted his hat? His spells were all way too high in stat requirements for me to use anyway. Haven't killed an NPC all game, I'm usually a good boy really

2AdEPT

johntown said:

I am assuming the one out of three people you beat are noobs/poor strategists. If you want to beat anyone with experience, Endurance is huge for PVP...that's pretty standard...usually the weapons and magic even out in PVP unless there is someone who really sucks at the controls/strategy of the battle etc. It has more to do with taking blows and giving blows, less to do with armour. This was similar in Demon's souls...once the strategy and controls were mastered, if two "experts" showed down.....even several points of endurance ended up being the cardinal stat that predicted who would win.

END is MORE important for you if you have less armour as it takes a tonne of END to roll. ROlling is a strategy point that usually beats out tanks.

When people have a tonne of health, and most do, you need to get through that health one of two ways, either by stun lock and successive hits with smaller damage weapons, or with a knockdown tank weapon....magic can usually be blocked or dodged......but even if you get all nagic buffed and good at crystal soul mass......the game gets boring after a while exploding things without a real fight. Both of these INTERESTING paths require END....and lots of it .

Septimius

2AdEPT said:
Believe me, I understand probability etc. IF that's the way the programmers set it up....but obviously they can set it up how they want. Just look at the Poker sites as an example.....not to get into too much detail, but everyone agrees its not the same as pure chance, or real cards, which is different. At very least, since online tourneys have a start and finish time the showdowns with two of 8 players getting QQ vs. AA just about every hand starts happening to ensure the tourney ends on time.....this never happens in real cards yet on online tourneys, they never go overtime, as this would kill business for the next tourney.

FROM is the type of developer that likes to manipulate things and get creative....I seriously doubt they just went with the straight old random string programming....seriously doubt.

I get what you're saying, but this does not seem plausible. What should it have been? If you've got crap loot so far in the game you should get good loot? If you're trying to farm you should get nothing?

No.

This is chance, man. You WILL see patterns that aren't there. Humans are masters of that. Remember all those times you didn't get two awesome loots in a row - because we forget them, and remember the times something 'extraordinary' happens.

johntown

Banned
2AdEPT said:
I am assuming the one out of three people you beat are noobs/poor strategists. If you want to beat anyone with experience, Endurance is huge for PVP...that's pretty standard...usually the weapons and magic even out in PVP unless there is someone who really sucks at the controls/strategy of the battle etc. It has more to do with taking blows and giving blows, less to do with armour. This was similar in Demon's souls...once the strategy and controls were mastered, if two "experts" showed down.....even several points of endurance ended up being the cardinal stat that predicted who would win.

END is MORE important for you if you have less armour as it takes a tonne of END to roll. ROlling is a strategy point that usually beats out tanks.

When people have a tonne of health, and most do, you need to get through that health one of two ways, either by stun lock and successive hits with smaller damage weapons, or with a knockdown tank weapon....magic can usually be blocked or dodged......but even if you get all nagic buffed and good at crystal soul mass......the game gets boring after a while exploding things without a real fight. Both of these INTERESTING paths require END....and lots of it .
Actually the ninja flip ring and the mask of the child stacked with the cloranathy ring can make my build possible and I tend to use the enviroment more to my advantage than anything (which will render END almost useless).

I found in DES that is came down to whoever ran out of grasses first or got the lucky extra hit. In DES I was a pure mage build and I was very good in PVP......I could beat the majority or people I would fight.

Dresden

mrklaw said:
bounding demons of Izalith - how!?

and am I a bad man for killing big hat logan because I wanted his hat? His spells were all way too high in stat requirements for me to use anyway. Haven't killed an NPC all game, I'm usually a good boy really
His death is inevitable, nothing wrong.

And you either run through the demons and let them kill each other, snipe with a greatbow, use magic, or melee their legs.

Booshka

Dresden said:
His death is inevitable, nothing wrong.

And you either run through the demons and let them kill each other, snipe with a greatbow, use magic, or melee their legs.
My friend and I summoned each other to our games in Lost Izalith, and whoever was the phantom would just sprint around the Demons while the Host healed from a safe distance, pretty entertaining and effective strategy, watching the madness from afar and healing when needed was pretty fun. Or being in the middle of all the madness and begging for heals haha.

Booshka said:
My friend and I summoned each other to our games in Lost Izalith, and whoever was the phantom would just sprint around the Demons while the Host healed from a safe distance, pretty entertaining and effective strategy, watching the madness from afar and healing when needed was pretty fun. Or being in the middle of all the madness and begging for heals haha.

Something similar happened to me last night with the centipede boss. I didn't have the lava ring yet so I had to sit on the sidelines and be a dedicated healing bitch for my phantoms. Was actually quite fun.

scosher

scy said:
Since scosher corrected me there, I need to look back over my plans on an INT build. Maybe. I mean, 34 STR/44 INT still seems like a good call in the grand scheme of things to get more out of CMW here; maybe just go 34/40 to save some points. Perhaps 40 DEX/31 INT makes more sense since you're aiming for better backstab damage? Hm. I'll have to do some math later.

Check out this site, from Mud_Chan on gamefaqs:

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/catalyst-talisman

Can input your Int/Faith levels to see what the highest MagADJ catalyst would be for you. Because of this, Int or Faith builds are one of the only stats that it's worth pumping all the way to 50. For example, at 30 Faith, the best talisman is Canvas at 172 MagAdj At 40 Faith, it's still Canvas at 190 MagAdj. But then at 50 faith, Darkmoon Talisman takes over at 226 MagAdj, which actually is a bigger jump from 40 -> 50 faith then it was for 30 -> 40.

Also, according to his post on GameFAQs, the weapon enchants have different multipliers:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60801727

Darkmoon Blade has the best multiplier at 1.8x your MagAdj (and can be upgraded even further to 2.1x if you grind rank in the covenant), while Crystal Magic Weapon tops out at 1.4x. However, that doesn't take into account Tin Crystallization Catalyst, which has no equivalent talisman, and has 293 MagAdj at 50 Int.

Also, your idea for a Dex/Int or Dex/Faith build makes me wonder if you can build an SL120 one-hit KO backstab build using a dagger/rapier and enchanting it with CMW/Darkmoon Blade

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
Darkmoon Blade has the best multiplier at 1.8x your MagAdj (and can be upgraded even further to 2.1x if you grind rank in the covenant), while Crystal Magic Weapon tops out at 1.4x. However, that doesn't take into account Tin Crystallization Catalyst, which has no equivalent talisman, and has 293 MagAdj at 50 Int.

Also, your idea for a Dex/Int or Dex/Faith build makes me wonder if you can build an SL120 one-hit KO backstab build using a dagger/rapier and enchanting it with CMW/Darkmoon Blade
The Darkmoon Blade is a miracle that needs to be cast with a talisman right? Does that scale with INT or FAI?

Too bad there is no Talisman of Beasts in this game. :(

Dorrin

I could use some advice on where to go after Anor Londo. I'm SL 52 now, fatty and slim were very challenging. Int is around 41. I'm using a lightning spear +3, gold hemmed set. Any point in making the Moonlight Butterfly Spear with my int level?

I know the game opens up here on direction you can take, any advice on which I should tackle first? I've thought painted world but I'll admit the whole can't easily leave has me concerned. I'm currently human and have an extra humanity so a close bonfire I could get some use out of Kindling would be ideal. Duke's Archives as I'm a sorc to get new spells?

2AdEPT

Nora Kisaragi said:

Only two rules according to the strat guide are pyro flame +10 and NOT beat bed of chaos in lost izalith.

johntown

Banned
Dorrin said:
I could use some advice on where to go after Anor Londo. I'm SL 52 now, fatty and slim were very challenging. Int is around 41. I'm using a lightning spear +3, gold hemmed set. Any point in making the Moonlight Butterfly Spear with my int level?

I know the game opens up here on direction you can take, any advice on which I should tackle first? I've thought painted world but I'll admit the whole can't easily leave has me concerned. I'm currently human and have an extra humanity so a close bonfire I could get some use out of Kindling would be ideal. Duke's Archives as I'm a sorc to get new spells?
Don't make the spear unless you are going for the platinum.

I was going to say the Painted World but you seem hesitant about that. Personally, when I played through I went to the Dukes Archives next. You could also go back and revist the Undead Asylum and upgrade your Lightning Spear to +5.

johntown

Banned
2AdEPT said:
Only two rules according to the strat guide are pyro flame +10 and NOT beat bed of chaos in lost izalith.
I can confirm that you don't need the Pyro Flame at +10 for her to appear. I had it at +6 and she appeared after I beat Quelaag.

EDIT: If she is not there quit your game and reload if you already beat Quelaag.

scy

scosher said:

I'm familiar with it; I can't get it to work at work which is fine, I know most the math behind the scenes anyway, and I enjoy doing the math, so it's not a big deal to me. The site is super convenient, though; great for min/maxing with infinitely less effort, lol.

34/50 is probably ideal for the STR build; DEX build wise ... I'm not sure. It's stretched thin as is. Maybe compromise somewhere in the middle like when Ivory or Sunlight Talismans become the better option or lower DEX to off-set it some.

INT wise, I'll refrain until I look things over some more. As evidenced by my Soulmass fuck up, I don't know it as well as I thought I did :)

Backstab damage should just be based off the physical part of it, shouldn't it? Anyway, it would probably be a high DEX Estoc build if I had to guess. Come 1.04, 40 DEX is a 319 base and 40 Faith is +399; going up to 50 should be +474 which is some ridiculous numbers now that I type it all out.

johntown said:
The Darkmoon Blade is a miracle that needs to be cast with a talisman right? Does that scale with INT or FAI?

Well, you can use the INT scaling Talisman for it. But you need 30 Faith to even Attune the Miracle in the first place. TCC with CMW is ultimately a better use of your points.

scosher

johntown said:

Miracle you get from Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, probably the most annoying one to rank up (besides Sunbro). Only one use though per attunement slot, and when you factor in Tin Crystallization Catalyst's absurd MagAdj, CMW pretty much matches it in power, while being much easier to acquire.

I'm really tempted now to start a new character with 40 Dex/40-50 Int, taking points away from Vit, and some in End to make a OHKO bandit's knife (or rapier, whichever is more damaging) backstab character. Wonder if the crit bonus applies before or after the added damage from CMW.

scy said:
Backstab damage should just be based off the physical part of it, shouldn't it? Anyway, it would probably be a high DEX Estoc build if I had to guess. Come 1.04, 40 DEX is a 319 base and 40 Faith is +399; going up to 50 should be +474 which is some ridiculous numbers now that I type it all out.

Estoc has no crit bonus though. Rapier has 110, with only a slight decrease in damage. I would bet Rapier is the superior backstab weapon. Not sure if Bandit's Knife comes out above either. Lower base, but 147 crit bonus. I guess it really depends if that crit bonus applies before or after CMW.

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
Miracle you get from Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, probably the most annoying one to rank up (besides Sunbro).
Tell me about it. I got up to 9 Soveiners of Reprisal and I will get my last one from Knight Laurtec on my 3rd playthrough.

I really do not think Sunbro was hard? I never really had any issues getting summoned for co-op and beating the end boss. With that being said I made sure I did that one on my first playthorugh where the majority or people need help for certain bosses.

Zzoram

prodystopian said:
Is there any reason to pump up DEX past weapon stat requirements?

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/normal

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/fire

Even at 99 DEX all of the katanas are weaker at +15 than at +10 Fire.

Pure physical damage only has to do one resistance check. Physical and fire results in two resistance checks, so tends to do less damage than what you would expect by adding the two numbers.

Also, +15 normal weapons can use resins to add temporary bonus elemental damage, or use crystal magic weapon to enchant them with bonus magic damage, definitely taking them above fire+10 or lightning+5.

Zzoram said:
Pure physical damage only has to do one resistance check. Physical and fire results in two resistance checks, so tends to do less damage than what you would expect by adding the two numbers.

Also, +15 normal weapons can use resins to add temporary bonus elemental damage, or use crystal magic weapon to enchant them with bonus magic damage, definitely taking them above fire+10 or lightning+5.

Anyone have any numbers for this? I'm not sure I've seen anything on how the defense works versus offense for PvP (is the listed number for a given piece of armor a percentage, or just a number subtracted from the damage)

And does crystal magic weapon add much if you don't have much INT?

Septimius

scosher said:
Check out this site, from Mud_Chan on gamefaqs:

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/catalyst-talisman

Can input your Int/Faith levels to see what the highest MagADJ catalyst would be for you. Because of this, Int or Faith builds are one of the only stats that it's worth pumping all the way to 50. For example, at 30 Faith, the best talisman is Canvas at 172 MagAdj At 40 Faith, it's still Canvas at 190 MagAdj. But then at 50 faith, Darkmoon Talisman takes over at 226 MagAdj, which actually is a bigger jump from 40 -> 50 faith then it was for 30 -> 40.

Also, according to his post on GameFAQs, the weapon enchants have different multipliers:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60801727

I'm about to find out. It's just that I have to reroll my sorcerer into someone with faith, now, apparently :p

scy

scosher said:
Estoc has no crit bonus though. Rapier has 110, with only a slight decrease in damage. I would bet Rapier is the superior backstab weapon. Not sure if Bandit's Knife comes out above either. Lower base, but 147 crit bonus. I guess it really depends if that crit bonus applies before or after CMW.

Er, Rapier, thanks. I'm completely out of it today... :/

I'll do some in-game testing unless someone happens to know the answer to that. I'm not actually familiar with the backstab formula in it's entirety. I always thought it was based off the physical part of the weapon so CMW/SB/DB use doesn't actually do anything and except maybe add some damage after the Physical part is modified.

prodystopian said:
Is there any reason to pump up DEX past weapon stat requirements?

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/normal

http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/fire

Even at 99 DEX all of the katanas are weaker at +15 than at +10 Fire.

As noted already, the listed AR is a bit misleading since it's basically the damage types combined to give you a value; the game treats them as two separate attacks that both get mitigated separately. And then the Enchants for +15 Weapons are pretty big. 50 INT Tin Crystalization Catalyst + Crystal Magic Weapon should be adding around 400-ish Magic Damage to a Weapon, for example. That's rather big.

Septimius

2AdEPT said:

These are true, but not really. To me, it seems there are four things, out of which two have to be fulfilled:

1) Start as pyro
2) +10 flame
3) "Use pyro a lot" (whatever the hell that means)
4) Beat Quelaag

I got her to appear after less than an hour game time with a +0 flame, started as pyro. My first char she appeared when I had +5 flame after having beat Quelaag (I randomly found her, so hard to say, but didn't start as pyro). Last time, starting as a sorcerer, she only appeared after having gotten +10 flame. I had not used pyro nearly at all.

scy said:
As noted already, the listed AR is a bit misleading since it's basically the damage types combined to give you a value; the game treats them as two separate attacks that both get mitigated separately. And then the Enchants for +15 Weapons are pretty big. 50 INT Tin Crystalization Catalyst + Crystal Magic Weapon should be adding around 400-ish Magic Damage to a Weapon, for example. That's rather big.

400 is a lot, but if I'm going for a 120 SL build (or something like that), I'd probably be a lot closer to 25-30 INT for CMW with a +15 weapon.

2AdEPT

johntown said:
Actually the ninja flip ring and the mask of the child stacked with the cloranathy ring can make my build possible and I tend to use the enviroment more to my advantage than anything (which will render END almost useless).

I found in DES that is came down to whoever ran out of grasses first or got the lucky extra hit. In DES I was a pure mage build and I was very good in PVP......I could beat the majority or people I would fight.

I see the points you are making, but you are not seeing mine. I agree that magic can beat out in DES, it was even more powerful than in DAS. But in both games I got tired of hiding behind a veil of superiority....without truly engaging in the fight. Each to their own, therefore you do not need END if you want to take that route....in your OP though you started talking weapons and PVP which insinuates you would like to get dirty as well at least once in while.

THat part aside, it is not relevant to mention your dark grain ring and havels, because equip burden is not the point. The point is that it COSTS endurance....a huge chunk actually, to roll, to swing a sword multiple times, and/or to swing a heavy sword once. It also COSTS a HUGE amount of endurance to block the same from an enemy with your shield (you can hide behind a huge stable shield and incur less endurance....but most get a good shield right away at a low level so the only way to improve further is with END)...this is were you are going to lose your PVP battles if using a melee attack because once you run out of endurance your shield guard breaks, and you can't raise a finger to attack or defend anymore (so even if you are two handing)....basically you get hammered hard when that happens and its usually lights out at that point............unless the opponent is of the same mind as yourself....but as you are finding....majority of people are endurance pigs. ;P

PS - the ring and stuffs that do help are the cloranthy ring which helps end recover faster, along with the grass shield, and the green moss. BUt these only speed recovery...there simply isn't any way to buffer more shots in on O and also block more shots on D without raising END...returns diminish at 40...anything less means some with 40 will pound you, even at a lower level. The returns people get from physical defense and armour PALE in comparison to the returns you get from a larger END bar....plus, you have to go to great lengths to raise both armour and weapons and use a while wack of souls and stones etc. END gives you both attack and defence with one easy payment...its the card of champions!

scosher

scy said:
Er, Rapier, thanks. I'm completely out of it today... :/

I'll do some in-game testing unless someone happens to know the answer to that. I'm not actually familiar with the backstab formula in it's entirety. I always thought it was based off the physical part of the weapon so CMW/SB/DB use doesn't actually do anything and except maybe add some damage after the Physical part is modified.

I have no idea on how backstab is calculated either, I'm just throwing shit at the wall. At work, so can't even test it, but the idea of a 2k backstab hit with Hornet's Ring is pretty appealing.

prodystopian said:
400 is a lot, but if I'm going for a 120 SL build (or something like that), I'd probably be a lot closer to 25-30 INT for CMW with a +15 weapon.

I just threw a build in the calculator for SL123 as a Wanderer with 30 Vit (figure a OHKO rogue class should be a glass cannon anyway), 16 Att, 40 End, 40 Dex, and 50 Int, everything else minimum.

johntown

Banned
Septimius said:
These are true, but not really. To me, it seems there are four things, out of which two have to be fulfilled:

1) Start as pyro
2) +10 flame
3) "Use pyro a lot" (whatever the hell that means)
4) Beat Quelaag

I got her to appear after less than an hour game time with a +0 flame, started as pyro. My first char she appeared when I had +5 flame after having beat Quelaag (I randomly found her, so hard to say, but didn't start as pyro). Last time, starting as a sorcerer, she only appeared after having gotten +10 flame. I had not used pyro nearly at all.
Then how did I get her to appear? I started as a Thief morphed into a sorcerer and barely if ever used Pyro and she showed up for me after I beat Quelaag on NG+ (I never looked for her my first playthrough) with Pyro Flame at +6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom