• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The bloodstain message/rating stuff definitely seems to be not nearly as much a 'part' of the game as it was in Demon's Souls.

Oh, and thanks for all of the weapon suggestions everyone! I'm going to go for that Lightning Spear for now.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Zefah said:
The bloodstain message/rating stuff definitely seems to be not nearly as much a 'part' of the game as it was in Demon's Souls.

Oh, and thanks for all of the weapon suggestions everyone! I'm going to go for that Lightning Spear for now.

It isn't part of the game at all... thank the fact its on small servers and it seems to be a chore just to rate a message...

I beat Four Kings on NG+ today relying heavily on Iron Flesh. I have no idea how you are supposed to do that as a melee character. They just spawn way too fast on NG+.

Booshka

prodystopian said:
I beat Four Kings on NG+ today relying heavily on Iron Flesh. I have no idea how you are supposed to do that as a melee character. They just spawn way too fast on NG+.
You need a better weapon, I did it on NG+ and NG++ without using Iron Flesh, just Havel's armor, stamina Regen and a BK Great Axe +5.

Septimius

Going through the game, I just get more and more confused to the whole "Undead" "Hollow" ambiguity.

I'm undead all the time, but only hollow until I revive to human?

Am I the only one that feels the story of the game is kind of poorly presented? I mean, I love that the lore is embedded in the world, I really do, but I just linked the fire, and I was like "oh. What".

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
prodystopian said:

Didn't use iron flesh but I had a long life line and Havel's armor and stamina ring

Septimius said:
Going through the game, I just get more and more confused to the whole "Undead" "Hollow" ambiguity.

I'm undead all the time, but only hollow until I revive to human?

Am I the only one that feels the story of the game is kind of poorly presented? I mean, I love that the lore is embedded in the world, I really do, but I just linked the fire, and I was like "oh. What".

No, the player character is never Hollow. To be Hollowed is essential the standard mindless movie zombie, except that you keep your skillset- for instance, an archer who Hollows will kill anyone he sees on sight, but keeps his ability to use a bow and arrow with as much skill as when he was sane.

The game says "reverse Hollowing," I know, but I feel that this is a translation error, as Hollowing is fairly explicitly something you don't come back from and several NPC's remark how you aren't Hollow, even if you are in a zombie burn victim state.

real spoiler:
the player never truly Hollows because he/she is a descendant of the Furtive Pigmy and possesses the Dark Soul, which prevents him from losing his/her mind. I think.

Johnas

prodystopian said:

I finally just beat these guys a minute ago on my first playthrough, most satisfying victory since Ornstein and Smough. A relatively simple battle, but something went wrong almost every time before I won.

Melee only (no magic at all this playthrough), SL 54.

I just did it in my Gold-Hemmed gear, Havel's set seemed to make things worse when I tried to use it. Quelaag's Furysword +4.

Booshka

I have a Pyromancer at SL 100, here are the stats

VIT 50
ATT 34
END 40
STR 16
DEX 13
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

I'm thinking of stopping at 120 for PvP, what should I do with the other 20 points, I'm relying on a Fire Zweihander +10, Lightning Claymore +4 (soon to be +5) and Quelagg's Furysword +5. I focused mostly on Pyromancy and have the Ascended Glove +5, but I stopped at 8 slots, because I just didn't want to use all those points for one slot, then even more for 2. Should I dump some points into INT, STR, or DEX? Or should I just keep pumping up the other stats I focused on.

Sullichin

What boss should I be trying co-op for, SL86 in NG+? I had a couple for Quelagg and Gaping Dragon yesterday but no luck today at Quelagg. Think I'm leveled too high to go back and try Gaping?

also, is there anything to do with the firekeeper soul if your estus is already +7? I suppose I could consume it. And no, it's not the firelink shrine keeper's soul.

Sullichin said:
What boss should I be trying co-op for, SL86 in NG+? I had a couple for Quelagg and Gaping Dragon yesterday but no luck today at Quelagg. Think I'm leveled too high to go back and try Gaping?

also, is there anything to do with the firekeeper soul if your estus is already +7? I suppose I could consume it. And no, it's not the firelink shrine keeper's soul.

...sell it to Frampt?

Booshka

Sullichin said:

You get 5 Humanity added to your counter whenever you consume a Fire Keeper Soul, helps for farming on NG+ and beyond. I don't think they do anything else.

ixix said:
I considered adding that bit about Gwynevere, but once it was actually there in stark black and white it looked an awful lot like an "Amazing Chest Ahead" joke, so I left it out.

I debated how to refer to the Darkmoon Knightess, and settled on calling her the Anor Londo Fire Keeper because I figured that's how most people would know her, and there was little chance of somebody going "Darkmoon Knightess? Who is this character I have never heard of? I shall refrain from highlighting these spoiler tags until I find her myself!"

That's probably a paranoid concern, but it was my train of thought in referring to her as the Anor Londo Fire Keeper.

I'd still say stick it in. Just as
Gwyn is referred to as the Lord of Sunlight and the Lord of Cinder, that Gwynevere is the Goddess of Sunlight and revered as a symbol of bounty and fertility is also relevant, even if it is kind of a "Amazing Chest Ahead" joke.

I do understand your reasoning about the Anor Londo Firekeeper, and I'd say that is fine.

What are you going to call Oscar of Astora? The guide book calls him Oscar, but I don't think the game refers to him by name. Nameless Knight of Astora? Flask Giving Knight?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Zefah said:
Did the patch drop outside of Japan already, or are you playing the Japanese version?

Japan version in Japan. Day one baby! Just go to Anor Londo! Oh yeah speed run!

My pyro glove (only +10) still hits like a truck though at SL60. I pretty much two shot every big knight in Anor.

I think the patch in general is awesome but I still don't have some of the awesome stuff that got nerfed (I didn't pick up Antiquated Skirt) so yeah..not sure on how those are affected.. Iron Body is definitely weaker though.

Booshka

NBtoaster said:
Where do I go after beating Centipede Demon? There's a door in is arena that I cant seem to open.
There is a tunnel to the left that leads to Lost Izalith. From the entrance, just hug the left wall and you should run right into it.

Technosteve said:
Some of these Japanese pvp videos are amazing

I looked up some American PvP.

It was nothing but people using Ring of Fog and/or TWoP, throwing maxed out fireballs, and acting like they were hot shit.

tokkun

Booshka said:
I have a Pyromancer at SL 100, here are the stats

VIT 50
ATT 34
END 40
STR 16
DEX 13
RES 12
INT 10
FAI 8

I'm thinking of stopping at 120 for PvP, what should I do with the other 20 points, I'm relying on a Fire Zweihander +10, Lightning Claymore +4 (soon to be +5) and Quelagg's Furysword +5. I focused mostly on Pyromancy and have the Ascended Glove +5, but I stopped at 8 slots, because I just didn't want to use all those points for one slot, then even more for 2. Should I dump some points into INT, STR, or DEX? Or should I just keep pumping up the other stats I focused on.

If you're happy with your existing play style, dump the points into DEX. It will make your Furysword stronger and Pyromancy faster.

Ill Saint

Thagomizer said:
I looked up some American PvP.

It was nothing but people using Ring of Fog and/or TWoP, throwing maxed out fireballs, and acting like they were hot shit.
Yeah, the gulf in class and serious ability is shocking. The first video that comes up when searching 'dark souls pvp'. So lame.

Where is the shortcut to the Demon Ruins? I gave the spider woman 30 humanity & got no prompt or anything that a shortcut has opened up?
I tried going to that hallway that leads to a dead end on the left of her, but nothing opened up there.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Where is the shortcut to the Demon Ruins? I gave the spider woman 30 humanity & got no prompt or anything that a shortcut has opened up?
I tried going to that hallway that leads to a dead end on the left of her, but nothing opened up there.

It's at the end of the large hallway just before the Demon Firesage.

So I accidentally hit the Onion knight chilling outside of Sen's Fortress and he got pissed and I ended up killing him later on once the fortress opened. I hear there's a way to pay some souls to stop NPC's from being hostile. Can it also make them come back if I had to kill them? I hear Onion head as a nice side story and I kinda want to experience it.

Small Mailman said:
So I accidentally hit the Onion knight chilling outside of Sen's Fortress and he got pissed and I ended up killing him later on once the fortress opened. I hear there's a way to pay some souls to stop NPC's from being hostile. Can it also make them come back if I had to kill them? I hear Onion head as a nice side story and I kinda want to experience it.
You kill him, he is not coming back until NG+.

Varna

Haunted said:
still waiting on that patch...

I think I read around here that there was a some online problems with the current one... so yeah... we will be waiting for a while I think.

Even though upgrading my PC and BF3 are keeping me pretty distracted I really want the damn patch so I can start with my new character.

roxya said:
Rating is a pain in the arse because you are required to use that item. I don't keep it in my held items, and I'll be damned if I'm going into the menu just to rate a message. Unless it was a really useful message (like in front of an illusory wall that I would've definitely missed).

Oh man I would never rate a message if I didn't keep the stone in my held items either, haha. I do though ...

All I have equipped 95% of the time is my estus, orange soap & white soap; so for me rating is usually just square, down, L/R, x. Takes probably two seconds, and can be done on the move.

I've built it into the gameplay, actually, to the point where I treat it as a functioning karmic system: if I see a "Good Luck" with a 28 next to it, bet your ass I'm gonna rate it positive and make it 29; it's like I'm getting good luck "+29" when doing so. And an "I did it!" with a zero next to it is one of the saddest sights in the game! I must give +1 to it.

So on and so forth. Unless I'm running & gunning, so to speak, I rate pretty much every message I see. It's just part of the gameplay for me.

EDIT: I've gotta say something else about this, too: there are some crazy-spooky "effects" when playing this way. It is discussed above about how humans are pattern-seeking animals and all that - to that very point I have noticed patterns of getting messages "right" and "wrong," where if I neg a message and it turns out it was "correct," I die or lose a bunch of health or something. I've literally had moments where I've +1'd a "good luck" message and the enemy that was pursuing intensely suddenly backed off.

In fact, shit, that story deserves to be told: I was running from the giant knight at Undead Parish, down towards Sen's. There's that little nook to the left of the altar area that people like to put messages in. Know the spot? It's like between two pillars, just right of the stairs.

So I'm running from the knight, near death - veeeerrry near death - he's RIGHT behind me to where I'm afraid I don't have time to turn the corner to get downstairs. I hop into that nook, check the message (it says "Try shield"), I rate it positive, turn around, and hit L1.

The knight backs away slowly.

Another time I was strolling through Darkroot toward the bonfire with the silver knight, and I swear there was a string of six messages that drew out the entire scene:

"bonfire ahead"
"shield ahead"
"knight ahead"
"immanent close-range battle"
"be wary of knight"
"try knight"

Just as I read the last one, the knight starts charging, you know clank clank clank.

I mean, take it or leave it, that's just fucking awesome, especially from that "first time through" perspective.

Booshka

Dammit, I think my Siegmeyer questline is broken. The
Golden Golem containing his Daughter wasn't in the Crystal Caves forest
. I went to Lost Izalith first and
saw him there and helped him fight the Octopi, then he went to sleep as he should.
But now when I go to
Duke's Archives she's not there
, not sure if it's totally broken or not. I warped out of there and hopefully she'll be there when I go back.

Booshka said:
saw him there and helped him fight the Octopi, then he went to sleep as he should.
But now when I go to
, not sure if it's totally broken or not. I warped out of there and hopefully she'll be there when I go back.

I think you are meant to do the Lost Izalith part last.

Booshka said:
But now when I go to

I think you went too far in his quest. You should definitely have met her before that stage.

Speevy

Banned
Good grief working as a forest hunter gives you a ton of souls.

I can't believe I didn't try this in my first game.

I've collected millions of souls in less than an hour.

johntown said:
Doing some PVP in Anor Londo for my Soveiners of Reprisal and the type of players are all over the place.

Rarely.....I would meet someone would would wait for you to get in and then bow and fight an honorable fight without any cheap magic etc.

Often.......I would meet someone using the fog ring, TWOP and Strong Magic Shield. I don't really have an issue with one of them being used but to use all 3 is just ultra cheap.

Most often......I would get killed before I could even move by either one or two players just waiting by the spawn point.

I think my biggest thing is the fog ring once they fix that the others things can be dealt with quite easily. Right now it seems like invading is the best PVP action you are going to get.

I have actually found a use for TWOP in PVP. Me and this other guy were chasing the host for about 10 minutes. The host had the ninja flip ring and lots of stamina buffs so neither of us were able to even land a hit on him. Finally, I used TWOP and we won. Sadly, though it is used on anybody for no reason whatsoever in the majority of PVP so I do understand people's complaints.

All I really want is some more honorable players in PVP......like in DES. Most players would bow and then fight and not stand right behind you and backstab you right as you came in.

I thought I could do this with the red sign but when I laid it......I got summoned by a guy who did fire surge on me before I could even move.

End Rant : D

BTW is there any agreed up levels for good PVP yet or builds?

This is what the Kiln is for. That is where all the honorable PvP happens. There are still cheap players, but not as much.

Mortrialus said:
Pretty happy about this as I've been contributing to it quite a bit, but the Dark Souls page on TvTropes is officially far more fleshed out than the Demon's Souls page, beating the Demon's Souls page 373 lines to 263.

I've added quite a bit to that page, actually, including almost everything in the Ornstein and Smough sections. *waves at adoring fans*

Speevy

Banned
Tranquil Walk of Peace is good, but if you're using a greataxe and manage to catch your opponent with one hit, no amount of slowness will keep you from staggering him again and again.

Zzoram

BigAT said:
Is there some trick to using the Blue Eye Orb? I've used it like 10-15 times now and gotten Failed to Invade each time. I'm in the correct covenant.

Hang out in a popular place (Anor Londo, Kiln of the First Flame, Undead Burg and Undead Parish are favorites of mine)

Use it every few minutes

Wear the ring that lets you be automatically summoned as an avenger from anywhere to anywhere

The ring will be responsible for most of your successful invasions, the Blue Eye Orb will get you a few more.

matmanx1

Beat Ceaseless Discharge this morning. Took me a couple of attempts to get it right but honestly I could say the same thing about most of the other bosses. Titanite Catch Pole +5 worked very well.

I also did a bunch of soul grinding in the forest spot to get enough money to buy out Logan in the Archives which of course caused him to get mad and go Hollow. Poor guy, I had to put him down after that. =( Now I just need to get Ingward's spells and I will have my sorcery trophy.

Just have Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith and the last area to go until I complete my first run through. I've spent nearly 80 hours on this first time because I was trying to get as much hard work out of the way for the Platinum trophy as possible, including getting all of the sorceries and pyro spells (should finish that one up tomorrow) and as many of the weapon upgraded trophies as I could feasibly fit in on one go around.

It's been a heck of a ride and despite the fact that I really haven't played anything else for a month I don't feel in the least bit fatigued by the game and indeed am excited about continuing my build on into NG+.

NBtoaster

Booshka said:
There is a tunnel to the left that leads to Lost Izalith. From the entrance, just hug the left wall and you should run right into it.

Thanks, found it.

I guess I know what that thing on the painted worlds bridge was now. These guys are assholes AND THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM. The lava is ruining my armor too, brilliant.

Peter.Simpson909 said:
I'm fascinated by these speed runs. I only watch the areas I've worked through so as not to spoil anything.

I'm curious as to why in a speed run he would choose not to summon an NPC (Mildred in this case) to help with the boss fight.

Ideas? Am I missing something? I'm always hollow and offline, so I never get any help...I'd think it would go quicker...

Anyone? He charges right past the summon sign. Enlighten me...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
matmanx1 said:
Beat Ceaseless Discharge this morning. Took me a couple of attempts to get it right but honestly I could say the same thing about most of the other bosses. Titanite Catch Pole +5 worked very well.

I also did a bunch of soul grinding in the forest spot to get enough money to buy out Logan in the Archives which of course caused him to get mad and go Hollow. Poor guy, I had to put him down after that. =( Now I just need to get Ingward's spells and I will have my sorcery trophy.

Just have Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith and the last area to go until I complete my first run through. I've spent nearly 80 hours on this first time because I was trying to get as much hard work out of the way for the Platinum trophy as possible, including getting all of the sorceries and pyro spells (should finish that one up tomorrow) and as many of the weapon upgraded trophies as I could feasibly fit in on one go around.

It's been a heck of a ride and despite the fact that I really haven't played anything else for a month I don't feel in the least bit fatigued by the game and indeed am excited about continuing my build on into NG+.

I've been the same..50 hours over a month and I'm only just in Anor Londo for the first time (well, painted world). SL60 and I'm trying not to level much more for this run through so I can PVP a lot in my second. Trying to get as much of the trophy busywork done in this run.

What do people recommend for the minimum stats for Intelligence and Faith for some PVP? I've been a pyro pretty much the whole game but I can't stand ignoring all those amazing spells. Is 20 in each enough?

Dresden

worldrevolution said:
I've been the same..50 hours over a month and I'm only just in Anor Londo for the first time (well, painted world). SL60 and I'm trying not to level much more for this run through so I can PVP a lot in my second. Trying to get as much of the trophy busywork done in this run.

What do people recommend for the minimum stats for Intelligence and Faith for some PVP? I've been a pyro pretty much the whole game but I can't stand ignoring all those amazing spells. Is 20 in each enough?
I'd just get one or the other. You want 25 for int (CMW) and either 28 (for WoG) or 30 (for the weapon buffs) for Faith.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thanks guys, nailed Four Kings with the Havel's Armor method. That was the first time I fielded that armor in a fight and holy crap, it tanked everything like a boss.

Leunam

tokkun said:
So I cut off Seath's tail and didn't get anything...

The drop probably 'dropped' behind a wall making it inaccessible for the rest of the playthrough. :(

Peter.Simpson909 said:

The fastest time would mean you forgo anything that requires you to sit still for even a moment. If he stops to summon Mildred, the next guy will not summon Mildred and shave seconds off of his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom