• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

Haha. Even the developers apparently thinks RES is a useless stat. I figured out how starting level is calculated. It is all stats - 71, not including resistance.

Septimius

johntown said:
Then how did I get her to appear? I started as a Thief morphed into a sorcerer and barely if ever used Pyro and she showed up for me after I beat Quelaag on NG+ (I never looked for her my first playthrough) with Pyro Flame at +6.

That's why it's pretty elusive what my 3rd point really is. I have no idea, myself, but this is my working theory. If we figure out what that one really is, then we know when she appears. Amount of souls you've spent on buying pyromancy? How many individual things you've bought with pyromancy? How many times you've used a pyromancy spell? (means that you probably use it 20 times in one playthrough even if you 'never use it).

I think it's something like that.

Zzoram

Septimius said:
Haha. Even the developers apparently thinks RES is a useless stat. I figured out how starting level is calculated. It is all stats - 71, not including resistance.

RES shouldn't even be in the game. They only put it in because they wanted an even number of stats.

johntown

Banned
2AdEPT said:
I see the points you are making, but you are not seeing mine. I agree that magic can beat out in DES, it was even more powerful than in DAS. But in both games I got tired of hiding behind a veil of superiority....without truly engaging in the fight. Each to their own, therefore you do not need END if you want to take that route....in your OP though you started talking weapons and PVP which insinuates you would like to get dirty as well at least once in while.

THat part aside, it is not relevant to mention your dark grain ring and havels, because equip burden is not the point. The point is that it COSTS endurance....a huge chunk actually, to roll, to swing a sword multiple times, and/or to swing a heavy sword once. It also COSTS a HUGE amount of endurance to block the same from an enemy with your shield (you can hide behind a huge stable shield and incur less endurance....but most get a good shield right away at a low level so the only way to improve further is with END)...this is were you are going to lose your PVP battles if using a melee attack because once you run out of endurance your shield guard breaks, and you can't raise a finger to attack or defend anymore (so even if you are two handing)....basically you get hammered hard when that happens and its usually lights out at that point............unless the opponent is of the same mind as yourself....but as you are finding....majority of people are endurance pigs. ;P

PS - the ring and stuffs that do help are the cloranthy ring which helps end recover faster, along with the grass shield, and the green moss. BUt these only speed recovery...there simply isn't any way to buffer more shots in on O and also block more shots on D without raising END...returns diminish at 40...anything less means some with 40 will pound you, even at a lower level. The returns people get from physical defense and armour PALE in comparison to the returns you get from a larger END bar....plus, you have to go to great lengths to raise both armour and weapons and use a while wack of souls and stones etc. END gives you both attack and defence with one easy payment...its the card of champions!
I see your points as well and I agree but I am only going to take it to 20. Once my build is complete maybe we could have a little duel to see who wins?

I give up on trying to solo S&O. I've been looking for summons near the fog gate but haven't seen any yet. Am I in the wrong area? I'm also soul level 49, is that too high now?

johntown

Banned
theta11 said:
This is what I'm looking at for my Str/Fai build SL 121. I think I have slightly too much Dex but that's what I was using to test some weapons when I was leveling and really don't want to start over the character (again) because of a few misplaced points. I'm also considering dropping 10 End and raising Faith to 50.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=Q2xlcmljLDEyMSw0MCwxNiw0MCwzNCwxNCwxMSw4LDQw
That is weird my Thief build has less points in END but more stamina than yours?

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=VGhpZWYsMTI0LDIwLDE5LDIwLDQwLDI2LDEwLDUwLDIw

Quote said:
I give up on trying to solo S&O. I've been looking for summons near the fog gate but haven't seen any yet. Am I in the wrong area? I'm also soul level 49, is that too high now?

I think the bonfire is the most common summoning spot there. 49 is fine I think.

2AdEPT

johntown said:
I can confirm that you don't need the Pyro Flame at +10 for her to appear. I had it at +6 and she appeared after I beat Quelaag.

EDIT: If she is not there quit your game and reload if you already beat Quelaag.
and yet in my game, I desperately wanted her to appear well after Queelag but she wouldn't, so I read the guide on her and she appeared the minute I achieved +10? The guide is often off, and there appear to be many anomalies in this game so i won't say you are mistaken....but ;p

there is also a factor with Laurentius perhaps that the guide and we ourselves are missing....Laurentius does speak about her and is a weird hollow eventually that goes down to to look for her etc. so not like I am calling omniscience on this one!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Quote said:

Don't give up! I should be at that boss today or tomorrow and then I plan to drop my sign nonstop till I have enough sun medals.

Also just got summoned in the painted world (as I was exploring it for the first time). Neat I thought..I can see what everything and the boss is like. We get to the boss..and he just runs by her and exits. I mean, sure, you can do that..but..whyd you summon me..?!

theta11

Quote said:

Feel free to add me on PSN, I have a SL49 char that I keep camped at that door when I'm in the mood to coop. My PSN is in my profile.

2AdEPT

johntown said:
I see your points as well and I agree but I am only going to take it to 20. Once my build is complete maybe we could have a little duel to see who wins?
I do suck at games ...i.e. the actual button pressing part....(this series is the only one I play, but my son is a gamer through and through so I may have to hire him to use my character if I lose! [jk]) Anyway, I try as hard as possible to make up for that with whatever advantage the game can give me strategy wise......not going to guarantee a victory or anything......but of course it would be fun to duel it out. you can message adepterik2 on PS3. I am no where near 120 or anything with either character as I enjoy staying low level to help noobs. Right now I am 90 and 70 I think. The 90 one is my original and I balanced the stats too much and forgot about END.....as such the new character was doing things in early game that the old one had to wait til high levels to attempt. The 70 one has 28 END but that is by far the highest stat after INT 28 as she is a darkwraith mage. I also like the darkwood grain ring though so it will make for an energetic fight if the SL's pan out.

johntown

Banned
2AdEPT said:
I do suck at games ...i.e. the actual button pressing part....(this series is the only one I play, but my son is a gamer through and through so I may have to hire him to use my character if I lose! [jk]) Anyway, I try as hard as possible to make up for that with whatever advantage the game can give me strategy wise......not going to guarantee a victory or anything......but of course it would be fun to duel it out. you can message adepterik2 on PS3. I am no where near 120 or anything with either character as I enjoy staying low level to help noobs. Right now I am 90 and 70 I think. The 90 one is my original and I balanced the stats too much and forgot about END.....as such the new character was doing things in early game that the old one had to wait til high levels to attempt. The 70 one has 28 END but that is by far the highest stat after INT 28 as she is a darkwraith mage. I also like the darkwood grain ring though so it will make for an energetic fight if the SL's pan out.
No worries, with Skyrim coming out this Friday I will be giving Dark Souls a rest for awhile I am currently at SL99 with my current build (only need to level up STR and END) so it will be awhile before I am close to my preferred level too. :)

2AdEPT

Air Zombie Meat said:
I definitely had Quelaana appear before my glove was anywhere near +10. NG+ she didn't appear at all.
Probably has more to do with Laurentius then, but still doesn't explain why I couldn't get her until I upgraded the glove...I had to use enigiy as Laurentius was long hollow. It could be that she comes early if Laurentius is still alive and in firelink, but if not, she requires the glove to be +10?

johntown

Banned
2AdEPT said:
and yet in my game, I desperately wanted her to appear well after Queelag but she wouldn't, so I read the guide on her and she appeared the minute I achieved +10? The guide is often off, and there appear to be many anomalies in this game so i won't say you are mistaken....but ;p

there is also a factor with Laurentius perhaps that the guide and we ourselves are missing....Laurentius does speak about her and is a weird hollow eventually that goes down to to look for her etc. so not like I am calling omniscience on this one!
As a side note in my NG+ I have killed all the NPC's after rescuing them and I killed ones just sitting around. Not sure if that makes any difference but you did mention Laurentius.

2AdEPT

Zzoram said:
Ring of Favor and Protection adds bonus stamina IIRC. It won't let you go over the 160 cap though.
Oh yeah and one of the masks does as well no? Child's?

edit: no to the masks.....childs raises recovery rate not bonus stamina.

you are right about the RoFP...it raises stamina 20%. MIght have to start wearing one!!!!!!

scosher

2AdEPT said:
Probably has more to do with Laurentius then, but still doesn't explain why I couldn't get her until I upgraded the glove...I had to use enigiy as Laurentius was long hollow. It could be that she comes early if Laurentius is still alive and in firelink, but if not, she requires the glove to be +10?

She probably has a variety of spawn triggers, one being the +10 glove. But she likely also spawns if other conditions are met (ie. maybe buying up all of Laurentius' spells before going to Blight-town). She definitely spawned for me on one of my toons with only a +5 glove.

2AdEPT

theta11 said:
The 3 masks add HP. Equip Load and Stamina Regen repsectively.
Does anyone know if stamina recovery rate stacks....my guess has always been NO, but I can never be sure as the bar travels so fast and any differences seem to be minimal past the first major change that occurs with the first buff?

johntown

Banned
scosher said:
(ie. maybe buying up all of Laurentius' spells before going to Blight-town).
That would work in my case as well because I already had all the spells from him after the first playthrough.

tokkun

2AdEPT said:
Does anyone know if stamina recovery rate stacks....my guess has always been NO, but I can never be sure as the bar travels so fast and any differences seem to be minimal past the first major change that occurs with the first buff?

It definitely appears to stack to me. Cloranthy Ring + Mask of the Child

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good weapon I can get relatively easily?

I just defeated Quelaag and Ceaseless Discharge and am about to head to Sen's Fortress.

I accidentally killed Andrei when my dog leaped up onto my lap causing the R1 button to be pressed when I was standing right next to him :(.

Right now I'm using the Drake Sword +3 and a Divine Halberd (no upgrades). I feel like both of them are a bit weak, and would like to work toward another powerful weapon, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

johntown

Banned
Zefah said:

I just defeated Quelaag and Ceaseless Discharge and am about to head to Sen's Fortress.

I accidentally killed Andrei when my dog leaped up onto my lap causing the R1 button to be pressed when I was standing right next to him :(.

Right now I'm using the Drake Blade +3 and a Divine Halberd (no upgrades). I feel like both of them are a bit weak, and would like to work toward another powerful weapon, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?
Well if you are going to Sen's then get the Lightning Spear (it is in Sen's Fortress). That should last you for quite awhile.

Zefah said:

Right now I'm using the Drake Sword +3 and a Divine Halberd (no upgrades). I feel like both of them are a bit weak, and would like to work toward another powerful weapon, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

right now im in NG+ and im primarily a magic user, however the weapons i like to use on rotation are:

1) Magic Halberd +10 (Might be a bit hard for you at that early level)
2) Lightning Greataxe +5 (excellent, you can begin one after anor londo, just after sens fortress)
3) Lightning Estoc +5 (Since you can stab while blocking)

as the guy above you said...lightning spear is good but im one of the few people i know that prefers a magic based weapon rather than the standard lightning, fire.

Also, if you beat Quelaag, go for the Falchion +10 into Queelaags fury sword, i used that a lot in NG

Just finished painted world last night. After I got over the initial panic of being a melee focused character with no toxin cure and a quickly diminishing supply of arrows, I really liked it.

Luckily lots of people willing to help with it yesterday... or I would have been hard pressed in completing it.

Those demon harpys were the worst for me until I figured out their lunge.

tokkun said:
It definitely appears to stack to me. Cloranthy Ring + Mask of the Child

If you prefer 2H, stick a grass crest shield on your back as well. ^_^

RadicalRad said:
Just finished painted world last night. After I got over the initial panic of being a melee focused character with no toxin cure and a quickly diminishing supply of arrows, I really liked it.

Luckily lots of people willing to help with it yesterday... or I would have been hard pressed in completing it.

Those demon harpys were the worst for me until I figured out their lunge.

That lunge sucks. It's got the wonkiest hitbox. I've been clear out of it and had it connect... infuriating, really. The real key to it is to move toward them as they lunge. :)

scy

scosher said:
She probably has a variety of spawn triggers, one being the +10 glove. But she likely also spawns if other conditions are met (ie. maybe buying up all of Laurentius' spells before going to Blight-town). She definitely spawned for me on one of my toons with only a +5 glove.

My recent Faith characters got her to spawn with no Glove, no Laurentius, but Blighttown finished (in fact, spawned after Blighttown finished but not before). This was as starting Cleric with Master Key so that was the first boss killed as well. I did meet the Chaos Covenant but did not join.

Damn, I was checking some of my weapon upgrades & a slab is required to upgrade any weapon fully.

Checking the guides, there is only a small number of slabs in the game in total it seems.

So no maxing out 8 different weapons in lighting or fire I guess.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Damn, I was checking some of my weapon upgrades & a slab is required to upgrade any weapon fully.

Checking the guides, there is only a small number of slabs in the game in total it seems.

You can farm white slabs, not sure about red. I think you can only get two normal slabs per game though.

Without farming:
+1 white slab per game.
+1 blue slab per game.
+1 red slab per game.
+2 normal slab per game.

Baloonatic said:
You can farm white slabs, not sure about red. I think you can only get two normal slabs per game though.

I think you can farm all, but the drop rates suck. It's faster to just go to NG+ and get whatever you needed.

White slabs farmed on pinwheels outside Nito.
Red slabs farmed on the Octopi outside Bed of Chaos.
Blue slabs farmed on the butterflies in Crystal Cavern outside of Seath.
Normal farmed on darkwraiths in drained New Londo Ruins.

MMaRsu said:
So guys did i miss a bonfire close to the four kings?

Nope. There's no bonfires in New Londo Ruins. You can jump off on the right side of the cliff from the first two ghosts you see and run straight to the four kings.

MMaRsu

Prototype-03 said:
Nope. There's no bonfires in New Londo Ruins. You can jump off on the right side of the cliff from the first two ghosts you see and run straight to the four kings.
Do i have to keep the ring equipped at all times?

scy

corrosivefrost said:
Without farming:
+1 white slab per game.
+1 blue slab per game.
+1 red slab per game.
+2 normal slab per game.

Well, you can trade a Pyromancy Flame (Ascended, +0) for a Red Slab via Snuggly; you should be able to get one extra Flame per NG.

But yeah, 1 of each color and 2 Normal can be had normally.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So the patch definitely upped the drop rate of those covenants items pretty significantly. First time in painted world, killed the two crow/harpy things, both dropped the Darkmoon covenant drop.

Septimius

I think you get humanity.
You get random humanity from when others beat invaders. Then again, I've only had one of my heaps of messages rated once, and it was given a -1, so fuck if I know what it does.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
worldrevolution said:
So the patch definitely upped the drop rate of those covenants items pretty significantly. First time in painted world, killed the two crow/harpy things, both dropped the Darkmoon covenant drop.

Did the patch drop outside of Japan already, or are you playing the Japanese version?

Septimius said:
You get random humanity from when others beat invaders. Then again, I've only had one of my heaps of messages rated once, and it was given a -1, so fuck if I know what it does.

I've been running a test: for the past 50 hours or so I've had the same six messages placed:

- "Praise the Sun" at the Sunlight Altar
- "Immanent amazing armor" where Armor of Thorns spawns
- "Be weary of demon" at Capra Demon fog gate
- "Need ring" at Four Kings drop
- "Try up" near a ladder that's easy to miss
- And "Try down" at the spot leading to the Great Scythe in Catacombs

And, you guessed it, NONE of them have been rated. Fifty fucking hours they've been sitting there. There's just no way.

My theory is that your messages don't get placed on your own server; that is, "your" Good Luck message has a 19 next to it on some other guy's server, but you'd never know it. That's the only way it makes any sense.

As to what happens when someone rates one, if we get the random humanity from when someone beats and invader, and we get the random extra estus when someone lights a bonfire, there's really nothing left for a rated message to do aside from giving full health like in DeS, but that's obviously never happened to me. :shrug

johntown said:
Try going to the Painted World. You should get summoned a lot at that level.

Thanks, you were spot on with that recommendation - got my sunlight medals and went from SL56 to SL69(!) with all the souls i raked in along the way. Crazy stuff.

roxya

NEOPARADIGM said:
I've been running a test: for the past 50 hours or so I've had the same six messages placed:

- "Praise the Sun" at the Sunlight Altar
- "Immanent amazing armor" where Armor of Thorns spawns
- "Be weary of demon" at Capra Demon fog gate
- "Need ring" at Four Kings drop
- "Try up" near a ladder that's easy to miss
- And "Try down" at the spot leading to the Great Scythe in Catacombs

And, you guessed it, NONE of them have been rated. Fifty fucking hours they've been sitting there. There's just no way.

My theory is that your messages don't get placed on your own server; that is, "your" Good Luck message has a 19 next to it on some other guy's server, but you'd never know it. That's the only way it makes any sense.

As to what happens when someone rates one, if we get the random humanity from when someone beats and invader, and we get the random extra estus when someone lights a bonfire, there's really nothing left for a rated message to do aside from giving full health like in DeS, but that's obviously never happened to me. :shrug

Rating is a pain in the arse because you are required to use that item. I don't keep it in my held items, and I'll be damned if I'm going into the menu just to rate a message. Unless it was a really useful message (like in front of an illusory wall that I would've definitely missed).

BigAT

Is there some trick to using the Blue Eye Orb? I've used it like 10-15 times now and gotten Failed to Invade each time. I'm in the correct covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom