• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leunam said:
The drop probably 'dropped' behind a wall making it inaccessible for the rest of the playthrough. :(

The fastest time would mean you forgo anything that requires you to sit still for even a moment. If he stops to summon Mildred, the next guy will not summon Mildred and shave seconds off of his time.

Thing is, Mildred speeds up the fight considerably.

tokkun

Leunam said:
The drop probably 'dropped' behind a wall making it inaccessible for the rest of the playthrough. :(

The fastest time would mean you forgo anything that requires you to sit still for even a moment. If he stops to summon Mildred, the next guy will not summon Mildred and shave seconds off of his time.

Shit. Don't know if I have it in me to do another run through just for that weapon.

Dresden

Ash Lake feels like an unfinished zone. And the covenant there is definitely unfinished. A pity because it could've been a really cool place.

Dresden said:
Ash Lake feels like an unfinished zone. And the covenant there is definitely unfinished. A pity because it could've been a really cool place.
As far as I'm concerned, the Ash Lake is a great breather level with some good loot, and that is about it. It doesn't feel particularly unfinished, although the covenant certainly does. Though that is par for the course when it comes to covenants.

Ventured to Lost Izaith waaayy too early due to the shortcut, which turned out to not be that short.

So I'm looking at the map in the guide & it shows a bonfire after the Prowling Demon on the shortcut, but turns out I was reading it wrong & there is no bonfire & I'm out of flasks & at half health.

It looks like I can hug the right after the prowling titanite demon & go through a narrow passage that leads to the section of headless dinosaurs in the lava with a bonfire right there, BUT there seems to be 3 dinos surround the bonfire platform & I apparently will have to walk on the lava to get to it (I don't have the ring to walk on lava either).

Can I make it to the bonfire? Is there any strategies I can use?

Leunam said:
Probably, I wouldn't know. This guy thought it would be faster if he didn't use her. :/

I guess so. The other speedrun (the record-holder before this one) he summoned her. I should compare their two times...

Maybe it's down to her attack patterns. With Mildred in the mix maybe he wouldn't have been able to wedge himself between her face and legs as well as he did? She'd be facing away, attacking Mildred?

Sullichin

See You Next Wednesday said:
Ventured to Lost Izaith waaayy too early due to the shortcut, which turned out to not be that short.

So I'm looking at the map in the guide & it shows a bonfire after the Prowling Demon on the shortcut, but turns out I was reading it wrong & there is no bonfire & I'm out of flasks & at half health.

It looks like I can hug the right after the prowling titanite demon & go through a narrow passage that leads to the section of headless dinosaurs in the lava with a bonfire right there, BUT there seems to be 3 dinos surround the bonfire platform & I apparently will have to walk on the lava to get to it (I don't have the ring to walk on lava either).

if you have half health and don't have the lava ring, you'll definitely die. lava cuts your health really fast

tokkun

Mortrialus said:
As far as I'm concerned, the Ash Lake is a great breather level with some good loot, and that is about it. It doesn't feel particularly unfinished, although the covenant certainly does. Though that is par for the course when it comes to covenants.

Well, it does have a boss that is a carbon copy of another and often kills itself through glitches...

Don't worry about the bonfire. The path from the shortcut to the boss is really quick.

TommyT

Walking on the lava without the ring will end terribly for you unless your half life bar is a 99vit bar...

Nope. His time without Mildred was 1:47 from entering the fight to "You defeated".

the other speed run that summoned Mildred was 1:29 to accomplish the same.

That a considerable savings to be had for the 2 seconds it takes to initiate the summon...

Peter.Simpson909 said:
Nope. His time without Mildred was 1:47 from entering the fight to "You defeated".

the other speed run that summoned Mildred was 1:29 to accomplish the same.

That a considerable savings to be had for the 2 seconds it takes to initiate the summon...

Yep. Not summoning Mildred was a mistake on the part of the other speed runner.

tokkun said:
Well, it does have a boss that is a carbon copy of another and often kills itself through glitches...

Don't worry about the bonfire. The path from the shortcut to the boss is really quick.

From the map, it looks like the dinos are directly in front of the path to the platform with the bonfire. How big of a problem will they pose.
Also can I equip fire resistant armor & shield/rings to help on walking on the lava or all that will be ignored?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
I'd still say stick it in. Just as
Gwyn is referred to as the Lord of Sunlight and the Lord of Cinder, that Gwynevere is the Goddess of Sunlight and revered as a symbol of bounty and fertility is also relevant, even if it is kind of a "Amazing Chest Ahead" joke.

I do understand your reasoning about the Anor Londo Firekeeper, and I'd say that is fine.

What are you going to call Oscar of Astora? The guide book calls him Oscar, but I don't think the game refers to him by name. Nameless Knight of Astora? Flask Giving Knight?

I don't think even the game's own credits name him Oscar. I'm pretty much side-stepping the issue by not planning on updating it again, but if I do elect to to update it again I'd probably call him "Undead Asylum Dying Knight" or something, to follow the basic location->function appellation I gave the Darkmoon Knightess. I side-stepped the Chaos Covenant leader the same way, not knowing what to call her and ultimately deciding that everything relevant about her was already contained in the Witch of Izalith and Eingyi entries anyhow. Quelaag got left out for the same reason, though I'm rather ambivalent about her exclusion, truth be told. Not having an actual boss in the list when I ended up including the likes of Rendal and Berenike bothers me, even if I did manage to rationalize it adequately to myself at the time.

I've got no time either way this week to do an update, so I'll probably kick the can down the road until next week to decide whether or not the things I'm dissatisfied with are sufficient to warrant a version 5.

WonkyPanda said:
do you think warrior is the best bet as my first toon? people seem to gloat about the pyro too

Yes. The problem with the Knight they start out with very heavy armor. Based on the mechanics of the game, they start out with slow roll and slow run which is very hard for beginners. Warriors start medium roll and medium run, which makes things a lot easier for beginners. Warrior's starting weapon also has a better move set in my opinion.

I also recommend melee just because I think it's the most fun way to play the game. One of the things I really love about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is how fun and rewarding melee combat is. It also fits the theme of the game a lot more than magic. The game's combat is very grounded in reality. Playing melee captures this "Everyman" type of feeling in the game. It feels like you're just a standard person up against incredible odds.

Mortrialus said:
Yes. The problem with the Knight they start out with very heavy armor. Based on the mechanics of the game, they start out with slow roll and slow run which is very hard for beginners. Warriors start medium roll and medium run, which makes things a lot easier for beginners. Warrior's starting weapon also has a better move set in my opinion.

I also recommend melee just because I think it's the most fun way to play the game. One of the things I really love about Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is how fun and rewarding melee combat is. It also fits the theme of the game a lot more than magic. The game's combat is very grounded in reality. Playing melee captures this "Everyman" type of feeling in the game. It feels like you're just a standard person up against incredible odds.

Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow Soul Arrow

Giard

Someone give me tips for
the Darkwraith knights at the bottom of New Londo Ruins.
They ambush me and kill me in a matter of seconds once I get down there. Do they have a weakness?

ixix

Mortrialus said:
Pretty happy about this as I've been contributing to it quite a bit, but the Dark Souls page on TvTropes is officially far more fleshed out than the Demon's Souls page, beating the Demon's Souls page 373 lines to 263.

Man, is anyplace remotely Dark Souls plot-related immune to
Gwyndolin
character assassination?

I assert that at least 90% of the allegations against him are completely unfounded.

ixix said:
Gwyndolin
character assassination?

I assert that at least 90% of the allegations against him are completely unfounded.

Just checked and nothing on the main page is wrong or unfounded except the "I Am Who?" thing.

ixix said:
Gwyndolin
character assassination?

I noticed that, but I really didn't want to get into a battle over it. At least they aren't pulling the
GWYN IS A MONSTER KAATHE WAS RIGHT
card a lot of places do and recognize that the morality in this game is pretty damn foggy and grey all around.

EDIT: actually, I haven't checked Gwyndolin's section in a while, and it's actually more balanced than it was. They had him listed as the Big Bad at one point, which is pretty funny.

Dresden

WonkyPanda said:
Would you guys recommend a Knight or a Cleric for a first time player of the series?
Cleric is actually a good starting class. Heal is a lifesaver early on and you can grab a great Faith-based weapon right off the bat.

.GqueB.

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
I've been running a test: for the past 50 hours or so I've had the same six messages placed:

- "Praise the Sun" at the Sunlight Altar
- "Immanent amazing armor" where Armor of Thorns spawns
- "Be weary of demon" at Capra Demon fog gate
- "Need ring" at Four Kings drop
- "Try up" near a ladder that's easy to miss
- And "Try down" at the spot leading to the Great Scythe in Catacombs

And, you guessed it, NONE of them have been rated. Fifty fucking hours they've been sitting there. There's just no way.

My theory is that your messages don't get placed on your own server; that is, "your" Good Luck message has a 19 next to it on some other guy's server, but you'd never know it. That's the only way it makes any sense.

As to what happens when someone rates one, if we get the random humanity from when someone beats and invader, and we get the random extra estus when someone lights a bonfire, there's really nothing left for a rated message to do aside from giving full health like in DeS, but that's obviously never happened to me. :shrug
Youre overthinking it a bit. I think messages dont get rated because the system is too cumbersome. Was it like this in the first game? I dont even remember.

Read message
"Oh that was helpful"
Hit start
Go to items
Scroll down to Orange soap stone
Hit X
Use item
Choose Ra... AH FUCK IT!!!

I cant even count how many times Ive done that.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Booshka said:
Dammit, I think my Siegmeyer questline is broken. The
Golden Golem containing his Daughter wasn't in the Crystal Caves forest
. I went to Lost Izalith first and
saw him there and helped him fight the Octopi, then he went to sleep as he should.
But now when I go to
Duke's Archives she's not there
, not sure if it's totally broken or not. I warped out of there and hopefully she'll be there when I go back.
I did the same exact thing and she still showed up for me.

JVIDICAN

.GqueB. said:
Youre overthinking it a bit. I think messages dont get rated because the system is too cumbersome. Was it like this in the first game? I dont even remember.

Read message
"Oh that was helpful"
Hit start
Go to items
Hit X
Use item

It was awesome in demon souls. Free healing whenever your message got rated. Not sure if it's the same in dark souls since I never had anything rated. :p

sixghost

ixix said:
Gwyndolin
character assassination?

They don't give enough information to determine whether he's actually evil, whatever that means, but I think it's almost irrefutable that he is the ultimate enemy of the PC.

Unless we're just completely doubting anything that's not in an item description, Gwyndolin is just continuing Gwyn's policy of locking all the undead in the Asylum trying to avoid the Age of Dark. Not to mention that unless you are very observant or diligent in reading item descriptions, you are tricked by him into linking the fire again.

I guess we can't really get into right vs wrong, but I think regardless it's pretty clear that Gwyn, and the pygmy and his descendents are on opposite sides of this thing.

ixix

Mortrialus said:
Just checked and nothing on the main page is wrong or unfounded except the "I Am Who?" thing.

The specific sentence I was objecting to was
"There are several hints that this outcome is one big Xanatos Gambit orchestrated by Gwyndolin and maybe Gwyn and Frampt, serving to retain their power by artificially prolonging the Age of Fire, but not helping humanity in general."

I can't think of several hints of that. I can think of one, maybe two if I'm feeling extremely generous, and neither of which I think can reasonably be interpreted as him being the mastermind of an overarching conspiracy to dupe the player character into prolonging his autocratic regime. The first is that he asks you through the Gwynevere illusion to link the flame and succeed Gwyn. Which is exactly what he wants you to do, really, the consequences of the act being unelucidated are a lie of omission. I'll give that away as constituting a hint. The second is that you can parse the information about him to imply that he may have enacted a coup against Gwyn's Firstborn. Gwyn's Firstborn, notably, is expressly stated to be a bit of an incompetent who cares for nothing but war. Half credit, at best.

And Gwyn being party to it? The crux of the plan is the player character's killing of him and becoming his replacement. Or Frampt? He does nothing but sleep until the bells are rung and if he judges the ringer to be inadequate he just goes back to sleep. What power is he allegedly retaining? Furthermore, we are given no indication that Frampt even knows Gwyndolin exists, let alone have it implied that he's in cahoots with him.

And "not helping humanity in general?" The game is vague on lots of things, but the idea that the linking of the flame will end the Undead curse is reiterated by multiple independent characters who have no particular reason to lie about it. It's one of the most frequently corroborated aspects of the game's plot.

There's also the pedantic point that, after reading the linked definition of what a "Xanatos Gambit" is, there's no way that whatever Gwyndolin's doing qualifies. That's splitting hairs about a topic I have little interest in, however.

Thagomizer said:
EDIT: actually, I haven't checked Gwyndolin's section in a while, and it's actually more balanced than it was. They had him listed as the Big Bad at one point, which is pretty funny.

Well this just breaks my heart, it does.

sixghost said:
They don't give enough information to determine whether he's actually evil, whatever that means, but I think it's almost irrefutable that he is the ultimate enemy of the PC.

Unless we're just completely doubting anything that's not in an item description, Gwyndolin is just continuing Gwyn's policy of locking all the undead in the Asylum trying to avoid the Age of Dark. Not to mention that unless you are very observant or diligent in reading item descriptions, you are tricked by him into linking the fire again.

But where is it stated that the policy of locking the Undead in the asylum was instituted by Gwyn? The game just says "And in this land the Undead are led to the north to await the end of the world."

And if you're very diligent in reading item descriptions I think the more reasonable conclusion is that you should not trust Kaathe at all. I sort of bought into Kaathe's spiel before I realized that even the items Kaathe himself gives you paint the Dark in a very negative light.

I promised myself I was going to avoid getting into in-depth discussions of plot interpretations. I am so terrible at keeping promises I can't even keep the ones I make to myself.

JVIDICAN

ixix said:
Gwyndolin
character assassination?

I don't consider him a villain. He just shares his fathers fear of a dark age. How does anything change for him once you link the fire? Aside from the blades of the dark moon he's done nothing(as far as I can tell) notable during the thousand years since his father left for the kiln.
What's going to change after you re-link the flame? He'll just continue to guard Anor Londo.

sixghost

ixix said:
"There are several hints that this outcome is one big Xanatos Gambit orchestrated by Gwyndolin and maybe Gwyn and Frampt, serving to retain their power by artificially prolonging the Age of Fire, but not helping humanity in general."

I can't think of several hints of that. I can think of one, maybe two if I'm feeling extremely generous, and neither of which I think can reasonably be interpreted as him being the mastermind of an overarching conspiracy to dupe the player character into prolonging his autocratic regime. The first is that he asks you through the Gwynevere illusion to link the flame and succeed Gwyn. Which is exactly what he wants you to do, really, the consequences of the act being unelucidated are a lie of omission. I'll give that away as constituting a hint. The second is that you can parse the information about him to imply that he may have enacted a coup against Gwyn's Firstborn. Gwyn's Firstborn, notably, is expressly stated to be a bit of an incompetent who cares for nothing but war. Half credit, at best.

And Gwyn being party to it? The crux of the plan is the player character's killing of him and becoming his replacement. Or Frampt? He does nothing but sleep until the bells are rung and if he judges the ringer to be inadequate he just goes back to sleep. What power is he allegedly retaining? Furthermore, we are given no indication that Frampt even knows Gwyndolin exists, let alone have it implied that he's in cahoots with him.

And "not helping humanity in general?" The game is vague on lots of things, but the idea that the linking of the flame will end the Undead curse is reiterated by multiple independent characters who have no particular reason to lie about it. It's one of the most frequently corroborated aspects of the game's plot.

There's also the pedantic point that, after reading the linked definition of what a "Xanatos Gambit" is, there's no way that whatever Gwyndolin's doing qualifies. That's splitting hairs about a topic I have little interest in, however.

Well this just breaks my heart, it does.

But where is it stated that the policy of locking the Undead in the asylum was instituted by Gwyn? The game just says "And in this land the Undead are led to the north to await the end of the world."

And if you're very diligent in reading item descriptions I think the more reasonable conclusion is that you should not trust Kaathe at all. I sort of bought into Kaathe's spiel before I realized that even the items Kaathe himself gives you paint the Dark in a very negative light.

I promised myself I was going to avoid getting into in-depth discussions of plot interpretations. I am so terrible at keeping promises I can't even keep the ones I make to myself.
Maybe this is a logical fallacy, but I think Kaathe is inherently more trustworthy in that he doesn't seek you out. He just waits for you to find him, and if you do, he tells you his side of the story. Whereas everyone involved with the side of Fire just seems to be pulling the wool over your eyes at every point.

Also, I think it's implied that Artorias followed the same path you did. They refer to him as a traitor, but it sounds like he just did the same thing you do if you switch allegiances after entering the abyss.

I understand that you're trying to be very scientific in piecing together the lore, but I just don't think there's enough concrete info to find a correct answer to some of the bigger questions. The fact that there's no objective answer as to why the undead in locked away up North speaks volumes.

Personally I don't trust the raven in firelink. What does he know, and why does he drop you right next to the area that Frampt appears.

bone_and_sinew

You know, one thing I've never seen brought up in the whole Gwyndolin/Kaathe debate is that from who's perspective do the item descriptions come from? Some of them use loaded words that can skew your viewpoint.

ixix said:

There are three characters who say that Linking the Fire ends the curse. Gwynevere, Frampt, and Anastasia. Gwynevere and Frampt are as untrustworthy as Kaathe. Anastasia says she heard it from Frampt.

Kaathe.

ixix

sixghost said:
Maybe this is a logical fallacy, but I think Kaathe is inherently more trustworthy in that he doesn't seek you out. He just waits for you to find him, and if you do, he tells you his side of the story. Whereas everyone involved with the side of Fire just seems to be pulling the wool over your eyes at every point.

Also, I think it's implied that Artorias followed the same path you did. They refer to him as a traitor, but it sounds like he just did the same thing you do if you switch allegiances after entering the abyss.

I understand that you're trying to be very scientific in piecing together the lore, but I just don't think there's enough concrete info to find a correct answer to some of the bigger questions. The fact that there's no objective answer as to why the undead in locked away up North speaks volumes.

Personally I don't trust the raven in firelink. What does he know, and why does he drop you right next to the area that Frampt appears.

In fairness to Gwyndolin, he himself is about as well-hidden as Kaathe is.

My main objection to the idea of painting Gwyndolin as trying to make a patsy of you is that it significantly cheapens the game's endings. I think of the ultimate decision to link the flame or not as being a choice between acting selflessly or acting in your own best interests. That's a vastly more interesting choice, morally, than "Do I let Gwyndolin trick me, or do I refuse to be anybody's patsy?"

If you buy into the idea that Gwyndolin pulled the wool over everybody's eyes and linking the flame doesn't end the Undead curse and letting the flame go out leads to the age of humans then it's not even really a choice. Cremate myself to accomplish nothing? No thanks, I'm siding with the sketchy serpent, thank you very much. It turns what I think is a much more reasonable, much more nuanced choice than video games typically give a player into yet another arbitrary alignment meter.

So I bridle a bit at implications that Gwyndolin is the bad guy. The game goes out of its way to avoid painting any particular character as an overarching villain, and the ambiguity is the greatest strength of the endings.

It's worth noting that nothing Kaathe says directly contradicts anything Gwyndolin tells you. There's nothing you particularly need to reconcile to accept that both of them are truthful and that's the interpretation I lean towards, personally.

Or the super short version: the game is intentionally ambiguous, and it is better for being so.

NeoCross

Just got my first hate mail while screwing around in PvP. Basically I was just running around back and forth from the bonfire through the blacksmith upgrading my stuff, then someone invades. I see a summon sign and call another player for shits and giggles and we search around the place. Finally we found him and when he sees the two of us he immediately runs, then I proceed to equip my talisman and cast TWoP and chase him down and the two of us played around with him.

Then I receive a mail saying how a cheesy fuck I was to use TWoP in 2v1, lol. Chill brah, was just having some stupid fun.

MMaRsu

BigAT said:
Is there some trick to using the Blue Eye Orb? I've used it like 10-15 times now and gotten Failed to Invade each time. I'm in the correct covenant.

Well where are you using it? I feel like the Demon Ruins is a great place, I invade ppl there all the time. ( sometimes after 10 tries, sometimes after 1 lol )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Giard said:
So it isn't worth it in most cases then. I guess I'll just stick to upgrading it normally.

what does that even do? doesn't seem to increase blocking - just poise? Not upgraded any armour or shields yet, want to make sure my weapons are done first

Still have a bunch of twinkling titanite and dragon scales not sure what to do with them - I'm aware they're a little rare so don't want to waste them, but I'm not a STR build so many of the weapons that can use them aren't useful to me. But on NG+ I might try STR..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
.GqueB. said:

Read message
"Oh that was helpful"
Hit start
Go to items
Hit X
Use item

I think you just pressed select? It was really easy anyhow, and I rated lots of useful messages. Haven't rated any in this game even though some were useful.

bone_and_sinew

MMaRsu said:
Well where are you using it? I feel like the Demon Ruins is a great place, I invade ppl there all the time. ( sometimes after 10 tries, sometimes after 1 lol )
I did a lot in Sen's Fortress and the Duke Archives. Both are glass cannon mage heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom