• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
mrklaw said:
what does that even do? doesn't seem to increase blocking - just poise? Not upgraded any armour or shields yet, want to make sure my weapons are done first

Still have a bunch of twinkling titanite and dragon scales not sure what to do with them - I'm aware they're a little rare so don't want to waste them, but I'm not a STR build so many of the weapons that can use them aren't useful to me. But on NG+ I might try STR..

It increases stability which means that blocking depletes less stamina. I don't know if it increases poise. Do shields have a poise stat? I am too dumb to be answering your question!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What does poise do, anyway?

I made progress today! Ploughed through Sen's Fortress and made it a bit ways into Anor Londo. I heard some bad things about these areas, but I'm loving them so far. The arrival cutscene to Anor Londo was really awesome.

Zefah said:

I made progress today! Ploughed through Sen's Fortress and made it a bit ways into Anor Londo. I heard some bad things about these areas, but I'm loving them so far. The arrival cutscene to Anor Londo was really awesome.

Poise allows you to shrug off attacks from enemies without flinching.

NeoCross

Zefah said:

Poise makes your attacks un-interruptable when you're hit.

If I'm using a faith/strength character would I better off taking a zweihander down the elemental path or divine?

Looking at the guide the power discrepancy is huge and I'm not sure how much of a difference scaling would make assuming 50 faith (eventually)

2AdEPT

tokkun said:
Shit. Don't know if I have it in me to do another run through just for that weapon.
you did know that you find the weapon INSIDE the tail right? I have come across several who have lost the weapon despite the tail sitting right in front of them because they were waiting for an automatic banner saying 'here is your weapon!' ...........these things happen to us all....I said the wrong thing to patches, then killed him so that i could at least get a drop.....then found out my original mistake was only losing the twin humanities and his shop would have opened anyway. doh!

The worst though is that my two characters are trying to cover bases to no avail. I have a sttrength melee and a mage.......the mage gets the BKgreat axe AND bk halberd on the same trip through cat. and TOTG, and the strength gal got the trident in Dukes. Anyone trustworthy out there around SL 80-99? I could give the weapon to you to hold until the other character meets you and then you could give it back? I would throw in some bonus material obviously! ;P

IrishNinja

holy shit just got done with the bed of chaos, thank christ. few things about izalith!

1) where the hell was the sunlight maggot helm? i so came here before tomb of giants again just to find that shit.

2) i skipped one corner where there was a titanite demon, i think that's where ive seen dudes on youtube farm. is there anything else i wanted over there, or do this answer question # 1?

3) just out of curiosity, since i did this mostly as a human: i got invaded & beat kirk 2 times, i guess i missed once? can i go back and find him or if its out of order i he gone? not sure if its even worth it, i dont think id wear that gear.

got my red slab, and i wanna say i kept that hepful knight healthy so hopefully i can finish his subquest.

Afraid so, sunlight maggot helm is just past the titanite demon :) Only thing to farm there is the 2 demon titanite that drops from it. It respawns so you can get an endless supply there.

2AdEPT

IrishNinja said:
holy shit just got done with the bed of chaos, thank christ. few things about izalith!

1) where the hell was the sunlight maggot helm? i so came here before tomb of giants again just to find that shit.

its in the shortcut...just to the right of fog door to firesage......I ploughed/sprinted through to get the helm one time ....only to get turned back as I hadn't placed the vessel yet.....didn't realize the shortcut was the spot...and could have done it then IF i had opened it, which i didn't......had to do it all over.

Finally got it and it is superior to the skull and sorcery.

2AdEPT

Air Zombie Meat said:
Afraid so, sunlight maggot helm is just past the titanite demon :) Only thing to farm there is the 2 demon titanite that drops from it. It respawns so you can get an endless supply there.
I would strongly suggest the shortcut if he already came out....don't have to fight anything once you're in.

maomaoIYP

IrishNinja said:

2) i skipped one corner where there was a titanite demon, i think that's where ive seen dudes on youtube farm. is there anything else i wanted over there, or do this answer question # 1?

3) just out of curiosity, since i did this mostly as a human: i got invaded & beat kirk 2 times, i guess i missed once? can i go back and find him or if its out of order i he gone? not sure if its even worth it, i dont think id wear that gear.

got my red slab, and i wanna say i kept that hepful knight healthy so hopefully i can finish his subquest.

2) Yes

3) Once you beat bed of chaos he's gone for good. The gear isn't a guarenteed drop anyway, I've fought him plenty of times and I still don't have all his gear.

2AdEPT

Air Zombie Meat said:

Endless Demon titanite! NOW ya tell me? ;P i made two early trips in here just for maggot....but now all I have left is this area ....guess I will be using a lot of the demon weapons on Gwyn just to say I used them in the first playthrough.

2AdEPT said:
I would strongly suggest the shortcut if he already came out....don't have to fight anything once you're in.

Yeah, definitely. Only a short run from the daughter of chaos bonfire. Theres just the downside of needing to give 30 humanity to open it.

2AdEPT said:
Endless Demon titanite! NOW ya tell me? ;P i made two early trips in here just for maggot....but now all I have left is this area ....guess I will be using a lot of the demon weapons on Gwyn just to say I used them in the first playthrough.

Heh, yeah it's pretty useful. Got loads of it running back to Bed of Chaos after all the bs deaths it inflicted on me. It is tougher than the usual titanite demon though.

NBtoaster

Is the bow you make from Gwyndolin's soul worth it?

Also, is Queelag's furysword worth upgrading or should I just get my Sever+10 back? It's pretty weak and I already have plenty of fire damage.

IrishNinja

alright, got all the stuff i needed...one last level before the endgame!

1) the greatsword of astoria or whatever i made from sif's soul - i know it can hurt ghosts, can it keep skellies from being reanimated by douchey mages, or am i stuck with the old weak astoria sword?

2) related: is there any other way to get into the tomb of the giants than going back through the catacombs? id rather skip doing that again, if i could.

Does the Lost Izalith shortcut stay open if you leave the Chaos Servants?

Also, how much humanity do you need to fully level up the Datkwraith covenant? Is it 30?

def sim

Baloonatic said:

Also, how much humanity do you need to fully level up the Datkwraith covenant? Is it 30?

No, not for me and 80 so far.

Footos22

toasty_T said:
If I'm using a faith/strength character would I better off taking a zweihander down the elemental path or divine?

Looking at the guide the power discrepancy is huge and I'm not sure how much of a difference scaling would make assuming 50 faith (eventually)

Divine! Im at 50 faith and 25 strength and 2 handing is 615 on a divine zweihander +8
scaling has slowed up loads now though the last 2 upgrades for this badboy must take it to about 650.

Kind of feels like cheating not only does it hit insanely hard but stuns them on most occasions.
Backstab doing 1066 at the mo on a plus 8.

Cant wait for patch to hit so i can start my ng+

kyubajin

2AdEPT said:
The worst though is that my two characters are trying to cover bases to no avail. I have a sttrength melee and a mage.......the mage gets the BKgreat axe AND bk halberd on the same trip through cat. and TOTG, and the strength gal got the trident in Dukes. Anyone trustworthy out there around SL 80-99? I could give the weapon to you to hold until the other character meets you and then you could give it back? I would throw in some bonus material obviously! ;P
My main is SL 85 just starting NG+. I can help you out :)

IrishNinja said:

1) the greatsword of astoria or whatever i made from sif's soul - i know it can hurt ghosts, can it keep skellies from being reanimated by douchey mages, or am i stuck with the old weak astoria sword?

2) related: is there any other way to get into the tomb of the giants than going back through the catacombs? id rather skip doing that again, if i could.

The True Great Greatsword of Astorias (Forged from a broken sword)permanently kills the skeletons. The Cursed Greatsword of Astorias (Forged from a standard sword) kills ghosts.

Unless I'm unaware of something, you have to go all the way back through the Catacombs.

LOZLINK

Just beat blighttown in between exam studying. My god, I feel like a new man, I feel as if I could fuck any girl out there, I feel as my life is now complete. Fuck blighttown, hopefully i never have to set foot in there again in this playthrough

LOZLINK said:
Just beat blighttown in between exam studying. My god, I feel like a new man, I feel as if I could fuck any girl out there, I feel as my life is now complete. Fuck blighttown, hopefully i never have to set foot in there again in this playthrough
Go to the hollow through to ash lake then...blight town is a cakewalk compared to.that..

johntown

Banned
IrishNinja said:

There is a way to get through the Catacombs in about 2 minutes.

From the 1st bonfire proceed to the first bridge and then drop down to the second one right below.

Next look below you for a small ledge and roll to it (you should now be right before the room with the Titanite Demon).

Next facing the hole from the small ledge walk to your right. You will fall right down on a ledge (you will take some damage from the fall).

Now you are at the bottom with all the skeleton wheels. Take out the two closet to you (should not be hard because you will be above them) then run for the Tomb.

johntown said:
Now you are at the bottom with all the skeleton wheels. Take out the two closet to you (should not be hard because you will be above them) then run for the Tomb.

and fuck those wheel guys too! I jumped down in that pit with them and they completely obliterated me. How the hell are you supposed to beat those guys?

johntown

Banned
DigitalDevil said:
and fuck those wheel guys too! I jumped down in that pit with them and they completely obliterated me. How the hell are you supposed to beat those guys?
If you go the way that I described you will be on a ledge right above all of them (there will be one on a ledge right below you).

If you head to the right towards the light you will be able to make it. If you head left back into the dark and towards the blacksmith you WILL be killed.

EDIT: I roll off the ledge and run while they are rolling into the wall. I make it to the Tomb every time.

DigitalDevil said:

Yeah they're annoying, you just have to fight them one at a time really. I just use fog ring or hidden body with slumbering dragoncrest and pick them off one by one.

scy

Zefah said:

Just to expand on the poise bit, think of "hit stun" as an affliction like Poison, Bleed, Curse, etc.; there's a bar that gets filled up and you get the status when it's full. At Poise = 0, you have no bar to fill so everything will "fill" the bar and stagger you on hit.

Around 40 poise, you'll shrug off a single hit from most light weapons; mid-50s are the medium weapons (Claymore, Murakumo) and then mid-70s for the heavier ones (Zweihander, Greatsword). I haven't found the 50 STR weapon breakpoint but I imagine it to be well into the 100s and may just not even be feasibly possible.

toasty_T said:

Divine over Elemental, but +15 with Darkmoon Blade Enchants over Divine. Occult should also scale better ever so slightly (694 vs 692, if I recall).

Edit: Actually, I want to say the Elemental stats are still better here actually (they should be into the 700 base AR).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Baloonatic said:

any point in opening the shortcut if I've already done the firesage and centipede bosses? Does it get me past those nasty dinosaurs in Lost Izalith? Don't mind for farming titanite and that hat would help with Tomb of the Giants farming runs, but I don't particularly want to farm 30 humanity

mrklaw

MrArseFace
johntown said:
Here is a video of the shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smm2MCDs7rQ

The guy dies because he goes to fast but had he taken his time a little bit more he would have landed on the ledge above all the skeleton wheels.

try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfZYEErqmI

thanks for the heads up though, that simplifies things a nice bit

Air Zombie Meat said:
The shortcut skips all the dinos, basically brings you right to the boss door.

ooh. Off to farm some humanity then I guess :)

54-46!

_dementia said:
Same way I feel. Is there a bonfire anywhere inside?
Yes,
up the stairs where you face the boulder dropping giant, drop down from a ledge to the right

There are usually messages from other players there.

_dementia said:
Yeah, it's on the roof. It's in a weird spot that you may need to look for messages in the floor. If you're in an area getting bombarded with fire bombs, you're very close.

scy

_dementia said:

It's at the top with the
giant golem throwing cannonballs at you
. Requires a drop off the side that's more-or-less marked (there's a body and scorch mark near it, usually messages).

There's also a shortcut back up to the very top that cuts down the run from the entrance.

Sullichin

Without tomb of giants or dukes available to me yet in NG+, my only option for farming consumable humanity would be the rats in the depths, right? Because they ain't dropping shit. Have 10 humanity and the gold serpent ring. Is it because I already beat the boss?

Also, anyone know if the dex scaling on Quelagg's furysword will be better with the patch? I know they're reducing fire damage

Leunam

Beat Four Kings last night.
I thought it would be a cakewalk at first until I learned that there is a reason they are called Four Kings. :/

Once I got it through my head that they share a life bar the fight became a whole lot more manageable.

in NG+ i havent used Iron Flesh once..boss fights are a lot more interesting this way. Just about to head to Anor Londo Ruins in NG+...the thing is..where to after finishing NG+? I dont think the game has the legs in it for a NG++ single player run...

or maybe ill stay at the Kiln and try helping people with the bosses or try some pvp (which ive never done actually)

johntown

Banned
Leunam said:
Beat Four Kings last night.
I thought it would be a cakewalk at first until I learned that there is a reason they are called Four Kings. :/

Once I got it through my head that they share a life bar the fight became a whole lot more manageable.
Just wait until NG+ they are really fun then and even more cheap.

I really think that From shouldn't have made 9 Covenants just so they could get an even character alignment square. A few are obviously unfinished, unnecessary, or just plain useless, and the time spent making them should have gone to balancing the PvP or finishing the ones that are good ideas with poor execution.

Those that should have been cut:

Princess' Guard: Useless.
Chaos Covenant: As much as it pains me to say it- Quelaag's sister and Eingyi are my favorite characters in the game- everything in this Covenant should have been able to be done without joining a Covenant, especially as she already thinks you are Quelaag anyway.
Dragon Covenant: Duplication bug excluded, the rewards are worthless, the PvP method sucks,gaining rank requires you sacrifice a rare item with a much better use, and the Covenant and it's leader are completely divorced from the story and world.

This would have allowed them to improve:

Gravelord Servant: Sooo much wasted potential in this Covenant. The PvP concept is good, but it just doesn't work in execution. It would also have been cool if Nito randomly summoned a Servant for his boss fight, with the skeletons only showing up if you are playing offline, and put more incentive into his Covenant besides "Join to get the sword, leave." It doesn't help that to utilize the Covenant, you have to use up an absurdly rare item that you also have to sacrifice to Nito to rank up.

Forest Hunter: Basically a disguised PvP lobby, which is fine, but giving the RoF as a reward was a mistake and the Forest is practically tailor-made for cheesing with it. The Covenant as a whole feels like something slapped together at the last minute.

These are fine:

Dark Wraith
Blades of the Darkmoon: Although the Souvenir of Reprisal should be a 100% drop from the Guilty.
Way of White: it's a Covenant designed to protect n00bs from being invaded before they are ready for it, and that's fine. Doesn't need anything extra as you are supposed to leave as soon as something better comes along.
Sunbros: My only real problem with it is being addressed in the patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom