• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Phat Michael said:
in NG+ i havent used Iron Flesh once..boss fights are a lot more interesting this way.

Only boss fight I've used it successfully on was Four Kings, and that was only mildly successful as it wasn't worth casting when I had more than one King to deal with. I tried it on O&S but I kept getting trapped in the corner and promptly disposed of.

johntown said:
Just wait until NG+ they are really fun then and even more cheap.

Can't wait!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Phat Michael said:
in NG+ i havent used Iron Flesh once..boss fights are a lot more interesting this way. Just about to head to Anor Londo Ruins in NG+...the thing is..where to after finishing NG+? I dont think the game has the legs in it for a NG++ single player run...

or maybe ill stay at the Kiln and try helping people with the bosses or try some pvp (which ive never done actually)
Join Blades of the Darkmoon or Darkwraith, NOW. PVP at the Kiln is where shit is at.

Phat Michael said:
in NG+ i havent used Iron Flesh once..boss fights are a lot more interesting this way. Just about to head to Anor Londo Ruins in NG+...the thing is..where to after finishing NG+? I dont think the game has the legs in it for a NG++ single player run...

or maybe ill stay at the Kiln and try helping people with the bosses or try some pvp (which ive never done actually)

helping others is quite fun. if they improve the matchmaking with the patching, i'll go back and start helping with bosses again.

scy

Thagomizer said:
This would have allowed them to improve:

Gravelord Servant: Sooo much wasted potential in this Covenant. The PvP concept is good, but it just doesn't work in execution. It would also have been cool if Nito randomly summoned a Servant for his boss fight, with the skeletons only showing up if you are playing offline, and put more incentive into his Covenant besides "Join to get the sword, leave." It doesn't help that to utilize the Covenant, you have to use up an absurdly rare item that you also have to sacrifice to Nito to rank up.

GGSD is nice for Faith builds. More PBAoE effects is always nice (Wrath + GGSD + Darkmoon Blade load out on my Dex Faith). The Eyes weren't too bad to farm as I got about twenty last night in under two hours in the Depths. Looking forward to the drop rate increase with the patch, though, so I can actually USE the Covenant instead of hoarding the drops for ranking up across playthroughs :/

Blades of the Darkmoon: Although the Souvenir of Reprisal should be a 100% drop from the Guilty.

...they're not? Guess I got lucky or something? Got around 15-ish of them yesterday between summons/Orb for this and farming Crows. Didn't seem too bad short of hate mail being sent (seriously though, RoF user who downs multiple Estus complains I pop a Humanity?).

johntown

Banned
scy said:
Looking forward to the drop rate increase with the patch, though, so I can actually USE the Covenant instead of hoarding the drops for ranking up across playthroughs :/

...they're not? Guess I got lucky or something? Got around 15-ish of them yesterday between summons/Orb for this and farming Crows. Didn't seem too bad short of hate mail being sent (seriously though, RoF user who downs multiple Estus complains I pop a Humanity?).
Same here maybe now actual more world will become pure black because people won't be hoarding the eyes of death.

I am pretty sure the Soveiners of Reprisal are a 100% drop when you invade and kill someone in the book of the guilty or answer the summoning.

Giard

Does Fireball or Great Fireball have better range than Fire Orb? I can't seem to shoot those more than 8 feet away. I need more range.

johntown said:
Same here maybe now actual more world will become pure black because people won't be hoarding the eyes of death.

I am pretty sure the Soveiners of Reprisal are a 100% drop when you invade and kill someone in the book of the guilty or answer the summoning.

Huh, I remember someone complaining that they weren't somewhere else and I've yet to get a successful invasion, so I assumed they weren't. *shrug*

Regarding the Eyes, I've only gotten a single drop out of at LEAST 70 basilisks.

Sullichin

Thinking of joining another covenant as the forest is all fog ring assholes with TWOP and invincible shields. ridiculous. why would they even do this.. doesn't seem like very much fun to make the battle so one sided.

What's another covenant good for PVP? Blade of Darkmoon? I assume I won't see as many fog ring losers there?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sullichin said:
Without tomb of giants or dukes available to me yet in NG+, my only option for farming consumable humanity would be the rats in the depths, right? Because they ain't dropping shit. Have 10 humanity and the gold serpent ring. Is it because I already beat the boss?

Also, anyone know if the dex scaling on Quelagg's furysword will be better with the patch? I know they're reducing fire damage

why is TotG not available? Didn't think it was blocked off? Just go there through the catacombs and take a homeward bone with you to get out

bone_and_sinew

Ran into this in tumblr, lofuckingl:

tumblr_lu9rkiBASO1qk27dh

The comics this game has produced are pretty god-damned funny.

Sullichin

mrklaw said:
why is TotG not available? Didn't think it was blocked off? Just go there through the catacombs and take a homeward bone with you to get out

Isn't TotG blocked off by a yellow fog? I haven't done Anor Londo yet in my NG+ playthrough. That's a good idea though if it's not.

Giard said:
Does Fireball or Great Fireball have better range than Fire Orb? I can't seem to shoot those more than 8 feet away. I need more range.

If they do I haven't noticed it. Only way to get more range out of them is to chuck them from higher ground than your target.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
Thinking of joining another covenant as the forest is all fog ring assholes with TWOP and invincible shields. ridiculous. why would they even do this.. doesn't seem like very much fun to make the battle so one sided.

What's another covenant good for PVP? Blade of Darkmoon? I assume I won't see as many fog ring losers there?
You will find the same thing in Darkmoon if you do the summoning in Anor Londo. People there like to camp at the spawn point and kill you before you move though.

I did not run into nearly as many fog and TWOP users there though. Your best bet is through invading and using the blue eye orb.

Sadly you need to keep those same spells on hand to use against them as well. Due to cheap players as soon as I spawn I have to cast Strong Magic Shield or I get backstabbed by a fog user or double teamed by two players.

Now I did run into quite a few honorable players (much more than the forest) and those fights were very enjoyable. Overall I think the PVP in Anor Londo for Darkmoon is much better than the forest.

theta11

Thagomizer said:
I really think that From shouldn't have made 9 Covenants just so they could get an even character alignment square. A few are obviously unfinished, unnecessary, or just plain useless, and the time spent making them should have gone to balancing the PvP or finishing the ones that are good ideas with poor execution.

Those that should have been cut:

Princess' Guard: Useless.
Chaos Covenant: As much as it pains me to say it- Quelaag's sister and Eingyi are my favorite characters in the game- everything in this Covenant should have been able to be done without joining a Covenant, especially as she already thinks you are Quelaag anyway.
Dragon Covenant: Duplication bug excluded, the rewards are worthless, the PvP method sucks,gaining rank requires you sacrifice a rare item with a much better use, and the Covenant and it's leader are completely divorced from the story and world.

This would have allowed them to improve:

Gravelord Servant: Sooo much wasted potential in this Covenant. The PvP concept is good, but it just doesn't work in execution. It would also have been cool if Nito randomly summoned a Servant for his boss fight, with the skeletons only showing up if you are playing offline, and put more incentive into his Covenant besides "Join to get the sword, leave." It doesn't help that to utilize the Covenant, you have to use up an absurdly rare item that you also have to sacrifice to Nito to rank up.

Forest Hunter: Basically a disguised PvP lobby, which is fine, but giving the RoF as a reward was a mistake and the Forest is practically tailor-made for cheesing with it. The Covenant as a whole feels like something slapped together at the last minute.

These are fine:

Dark Wraith
Blades of the Darkmoon: Although the Souvenir of Reprisal should be a 100% drop from the Guilty.
Way of White: it's a Covenant designed to protect n00bs from being invaded before they are ready for it, and that's fine. Doesn't need anything extra as you are supposed to leave as soon as something better comes along.
Sunbros: My only real problem with it is being addressed in the patch

I agree with most of it, Forest Hunters is bad version Blades of the Darkmoon that is limited to one area of the game, useless in the grand scheme of things once you get all the rewards.

Dragon Covenant isn't that bad but it should do something like add scaling to Dragon-type weapons based on your covenant level or do something with the dragon weapons. The stuff it gives now is mostly for vanity since it doesn't really work well in PVP.

Princess Guard and Way of the White should be collapsed into each other and the Faith requirement for the miracles reduced or the amount of slots they take. As for Sunlight, Silver Knights in Anor Londo should drop Sunlight medals rarely, and the convenant levels should increase the casting speed of the lightning bolt miracles. It's actually possible to collapse Princess Guard/Way of the White and Warrior of the Sunlight into 1 Covenant.

There is also no covenant that offers Sorceries. Princess Guard, Warrior of the Sunlight and Blades of the Darkmoon give access to Miracles and Chaos covenant gives you some Pyro spells even though you don't need to stay in the covenant to use them but nothing does anything for Sorceries.

theta11 said:
Was a Capra Demon always in that art?

I don't think so, no. Deviantart may be a cesspool, but there are still some gems there.

Alright, time to blitz through the Lords so I can get to PvP the Kiln. I'm sick of the Forest and Londo people.

Sullichin

johntown said:
You will find the same thing in Darkmoon if you do the summoning in Anor Londo. People there like to camp at the spawn point and kill you before you move though.

I did not run into nearly as many fog and TWOP users there though. Your best bet is through invading and using the blue eye orb.

Sadly you need to keep those same spells on hand to use against them as well. Due to cheap players as soon as I spawn I have to cast Strong Magic Shield or I get backstabbed by a fog user or double teamed by two players.

Now I did run into quite a few honorable players (much more than the forest) and those fights were very enjoyable. Overall I think the PVP in Anor Londo for Darkmoon is much better than the forest.

I suppose I will join up with spider lady to get her pyromancies (this will take me out of the forest covenant right?) and forego PVP until I can do blade of the darkmoon. Hunting the guilty sounds fun. I refuse to use those cheap spells though! I don't even ever have a catalyst equipped lol

bone_and_sinew

How effective is Vow of Silence in PVP? I totally forgot I had it, I'd just deal with mages by rolling under their spells. It has the same function and sound as Anti-Magic Shield (sans particle effects) in Demon's Souls but of course Anti-Magic shield's problem was that it turned everything into a laggy slideshow mess due to the particle effects. Is it a viable miracle for mage killing?

What about the Magic Barrier miracles? Are those viable back-up options to Vow of Silence?

Eccocid

Used that suicidel enemies glitch in forest behind sealed door to get my SL to 47.
I am still avoiding Blighttown lol keep delaying that shit hole level.

Tried to take my chance on hydra. Accidentally i stumbled to wolf. One shot and i was dead. Then i found hydra without that ring i got raped pretty quickly.
So i decided to go back to undead asylum.

FUCK YOU STRAY DEMON!

Almost killed him like 5 times. It was easy to stay at his back and spam pryomancy but then they always ran out when he has like 10% of his health remains Then i panic with melee weapons and always die lol. But i got the ring so i don't have to linger at there anymore.

Btw to the ppl who are between 20-30 range. If you put white stone at the bonfire in depths u will be summoned pretty quickly. I stayed there for a while killing rats for humanity. And ppl kept summoning me for the boss fight which gives like 15k souls i think each time you kill it(if host survives) plus the black NPC phantom gives like 5k. It is a great way to farm SP with other people.

I might have helped to ppl to kill Gaping dragon like 10 times. I read it somewhere that each time u help ppl to kill a boss the requirement for faith to join that sun covenant drops -5. Is that 100% true?

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
I suppose I will join up with spider lady to get her pyromancies (this will take me out of the forest covenant right?) and forego PVP until I can do blade of the darkmoon. Hunting the guilty sounds fun. I refuse to use those cheap spells though! I don't even ever have a catalyst equipped lol
Yeah that will take you out free and clear.

If you do the summoning PVP in Anor Londo at least be in the low 90's for your SL or you will be crushed.

If you just want to use the blue orb you can do that too but it takes some paitence (at least with me). I would go around from area to area and try to use it twice. I only really got it to work several times. A couple in the Dukes Archives and one at the top of Sen's.

You may say that now (not use those spells) but when you constantly run into fog users you may change your mind. For me it's open game if you use the fog ring (then I will use TWOP and strong magic shield and kill you) or if you use TWOP first. If I run into a team of players who do not give me a chance to do anything then I will use TWOP on them as a last resort to give myself a chance.

I don't really care if people use strong magic shield because it does not last that long and you can just wait for it to wear off.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
It's at the top with the
giant golem throwing cannonballs at you
. Requires a drop off the side that's more-or-less marked (there's a body and scorch mark near it, usually messages).

There's also a shortcut back up to the very top that cuts down the run from the entrance.
WHAT. I didn't know about this bonfire and ran through the whole damn thing to re-fight the boss.

Thankfully the boss isn't murderously hard as long as you're patient and
took out the bomber giant

Leunam

Eccocid said:
I might have helped to ppl to kill Gaping dragon like 10 times. I read it somewhere that each time u help ppl to kill a boss the requirement for faith to join that sun covenant drops -5. Is that 100% true?

Sure is. Find Solaire and talk to him if you're interested in joining the covenant.

johntown

Banned
bone_and_sinew said:
How effective is Vow of Silence in PVP? I totally forgot I had it, I'd just deal with mages by rolling under their spells. It has the same function and sound as Anti-Magic Shield (sans particle effects) in Demon's Souls but of course Anti-Magic shield's problem was that it turned everything into a laggy slideshow mess due to the particle effects. Is it a viable miracle for mage killing?

What about the Magic Barrier miracles? Are those viable back-up options to Vow of Silence?
Magic is not really too effective in PVP. Now invading it is way more effective but there is so much space in the PVP areas people can just roll away (which is why people use TWOP). I like to use magic so I try to lure the players to small areas where stamina and rolling do them no good.

To answer you original question. I cannot say because I have not used it myself but I have seen quite a few times where I was unable to cast any magic close to the player and another one where it looked like my homing soulmass bounced away from them (which might have been due to lag not really sure).

Zakkath

Would it be a good idea to upgrade my Shadow Armor set or is there a better option ? I like having a good mobility to dodge attacks and run faster.

maomaoIYP

Thagomizer said:
It is a 100% drop. I've had plenty of kills as a blade of darkmoon. Don't believe everything you read from those wikis.

johntown

Banned
Zakkath said:
Would it be a good idea to upgrade my Shadow Armor set or is there a better option ? I like having a good mobility to dodge attacks and run faster.
I know there are much better options for light armor. So unless you just really like the look hold out for some better gear.

roxya

Has anyone successfully spawned Quelana without getting their pyro flame to +10?

I killed Eingyi after Quelaag because I didn't see any "talk" option come up, and assumed he was some stupid egg zombie blocking my path. I went to the Firelink Shrine and the pyro vendor asked me some question I skipped past and answered yes to. Now he is gone. I have nowhere to upgrade my flame at :(

johntown

Banned
roxya said:
Has anyone successfully spawned Quelana without getting their pyro flame to +10?

I killed Eingyi after Quelaag because I didn't see any "talk" option come up, and assumed he was some stupid egg zombie blocking my path. I went to the Firelink Shrine and the pyro vendor asked me some question I skipped past and answered yes to. Now he is gone. I have nowhere to upgrade my flame at :(
Yes I have but no one seems to know what the exact triggers are for her to spawn. One thing for sure is you have to have beaten Quelaag.......everything else is debateable.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
mocoworm said:
The Mind Behind Dark Souls
A journey into the mentality of Dark Souls with director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

In an exceptionally rare interview, Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki gives us an insight into the year's most darkly fascinating game.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211926p1.html
Good read.

By the way, what is the point to killing
Gwynevere
? It seems pointless because
she
is such a harmless and well liked NPC.

I haven't finished the game yet so if the reason is a plot spoiler then just tag it.

Sullichin

johntown said:
Yeah that will take you out free and clear.

If you do the summoning PVP in Anor Londo at least be in the low 90's for your SL or you will be crushed.

If you just want to use the blue orb you can do that too but it takes some paitence (at least with me). I would go around from area to area and try to use it twice. I only really got it to work several times. A couple in the Dukes Archives and one at the top of Sen's.

You may say that now (not use those spells) but when you constantly run into fog users you may change your mind. For me it's open game if you use the fog ring (then I will use TWOP and strong magic shield and kill you) or if you use TWOP first. If I run into a team of players who do not give me a chance to do anything then I will use TWOP on them as a last resort to give myself a chance.

I don't really care if people use strong magic shield because it does not last that long and you can just wait for it to wear off.

magic shield isn't as bad as the fog ring or TWoP. But when there's one fog ring guy, one guy TWoP'ng you and one of them has a magic shield and they both heal constantly.. it's pretty impossible and unfair.

Akuun said:
Good read.

Gwynevere
she

I haven't finished the game yet so if the reason is a plot spoiler then just tag it.

I did it on my first playthrough
because I didn't pick up the Darkmoon Seance Ring, and didn't feel like going back into the Catacombs

So far I've been unsuccessful in retrieving my save file...

:(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
Except for, you know,
Gwynevere.

Yes, but
Gwyndolin himself is only accessible with the Darkmoon Seance Ring or by killing Gwynevere. I hedged my statement for a reason.

Akuun said:
Good read.

Gwynevere
she

It gives you access to
Dark Anor Londo,
which is one of the most active PvP areas in the game. Plot-wise?
It doesn't really accomplish anything. She's not real.

ixix said:
Yes, but
Gwyndolin himself is only accessible with the Darkmoon Seance Ring or by killing Gwynevere. I hedged my statement for a reason.

The issue is that
Gwyndolin controls Gwynevere and communicates through the play through proxy or pre-programmed dialog.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
The issue is that
Gwyndolin controls Gwynevere and communicates through the play through proxy or pre-programmed dialog.

But the player doesn't know that without
finding Gwyndolin himself. My contention was that finding out the backstory of the To Link the Fire ending was as out-of-the-way as finding out the backstory of the Dark Lord ending, and so Kaathe's inaccessibility doesn't really make him inherently more trustworthy.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
magic shield isn't as bad as the fog ring or TWoP. But when there's one fog ring guy, one guy TWoP'ng you and one of them has a magic shield and they both heal constantly.. it's pretty impossible and unfair.
Yeah that is why going into PVP I have strong magic shield ready to cast as soon as I spawn.

The situation your are talking about I would cast magic shield first, then TWOP and take out the guy without strong magic shield with crystal homing soulmass. See if the other guys spell wore off or if he cast it again. If he did (cast it again) cast it again on myself and keep backstabbing him and hope you get him right when the spell wears off or if you have enough homing crystal soulmass keep firing them and hope you get him inbetween the strong magic shield cast.

I think the final covenant rewards should involve level-adjusting PvP in some way.

The more you PvP, the easier it gets: Warriors of Sunlight final reward is that they can help people way outside their level - a SL145 WoS can help a SL43 Way of White noob, e.g.

Inverse for Darkwraith and Darkmoon: +3 those covenants and now you can invade people ranked much lower than you - a SL240 Darkwraith can invade the game of a SL118 or whatnot.

And before anyone shits on this in the name of "fairness" and "challenge," I'd point to the monster SL34 builds with +15 weaponry & armor, Fog Ring, and +15 pyromancy who are basically doing the same thing; whether he's a SL34 who farmed for +15 gear or an actual SL98 is irrelevant in terms of the in-game invasion experience anyway.

And even if it's a shitty idea, that there's no reason to not give an actual, tangible PvP incentive to covenant leveling is my point. Do something with it beyond gifting some crappy miracle, please.

johntown

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
I think the final covenant rewards should involve level-adjusting PvP in some way.

The more you PvP, the easier it gets: Warriors of Sunlight final reward is that they can help people way outside their level - a SL145 WoS can help a SL43 Way of White noob, e.g.

Inverse for Darkwraith and Darkmoon: +3 those covenants and now you can invade people ranked much lower than you - a SL240 Darkwraith can invade the game of a SL118 or whatnot.

And before anyone shits on this in the name of "fairness" and "challenge," I'd point to the monster SL34 builds with +15 weaponry & armor, Fog Ring, and +15 pyromancy who are basically doing the same thing; whether he's a SL34 who farmed for +15 gear or an actual SL98 is irrelevant in terms of the in-game invasion experience anyway.

And even if it's a shitty idea, that there's no reason to not give an actual, tangible PvP incentive to covenant leveling is my point. Do something with it beyond gifting some crappy miracle, please.
BTW there are no level restrictions in Darkmoon and Darkwraith. I invaded a SL551 guy and I was only at SL98.

johntown said:
BTW there are no level restrictions in Darkmoon and Darkwraith. I invaded a SL551 guy and I was only at SL98.

Right but that's invading up, I'm talking invading/helping down.

BTW, how do you know what level the guy you invaded or got invaded by is? I see lots of people mention it, do you PM them and ask? Where does it show?

johntown

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
Right but that's up, I'm talking down.

BTW, how do you know what level the guy you invaded or got invaded by is? I see lots of people mention it, do you PM them and ask? Where does it show?
Yeah it does not show the level. I just PM them or they PM me saying they kicked my ass etc.

Invading down would be really unfair.

johntown said:

lol ...

johntown said:
Yeah it does not show the level. I just PM them or they PM me saying they kicked my ass etc.

Is this a hard cutoff? Like, if I'm level 100 and you're level 95, will it not allow me to invade you, or is there a fudge zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom