• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntown

Banned
Thagomizer said:
Is this a hard cutoff? Like, if I'm level 100 and you're level 95, will it not allow me to invade you, or is there a fudge zone?
I could be wrong but it may be 10% of your level +10. I know that is what it is for co-op not sure about invading in Darkwraith and Darkmoon.

I could have sworn though that if you invaded by Darkwraith or Darkmoon there were no level restrictions meaning you could invade down.

EDIT: So for co-op if your SL is 100 you can be summoned by anyone in the range of SL80 - SL120.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love just how jam packed with secret stuff this game is. Reading some of the wikis out there is a lot of fun. Even more so than Demon's Souls, this game gives me that awesome feeling I used to get in the earlier days of EverQuest. Just so much cool stuff to discover.

Zefah said:
I love just how jam packed with secret stuff this game is. Reading some of the wikis out there is a lot of fun. Even more so than Demon's Souls, this game gives me that awesome feeling I used to get in the earlier days of EverQuest. Just so much cool stuff to discover.
I love this... but at the same time its my bane. I am quite the completionist and it drives me nuts when I miss things. Thank god for ng+

scy

And before anyone shits on this in the name of "fairness" and "challenge," I'd point to the monster SL34 builds with +15 weaponry & armor, Fog Ring, and +15 pyromancy who are basically doing the same thing; whether he's a SL34 who farmed for +15 gear or an actual SL98 is irrelevant in terms of the in-game invasion experience anyway.

Up until like SL100ish, most builds roughly operate the same: poorly. Anything non-Elemental below SL70 or so is just not really doing much due to the points required. The SL70 range is around where you'll be with 40+ VIT/40 Endurance anyway which is practically a PvP minimum and an Elemental build is comfortable sitting at that range.

Sure, an SL34 can hold their own vs people due to the strength of their equipment and know how ... but, against other dedicated PvP builds? It just can't stack up against them anymore. A lot of the people I invaded last night vs my Faith build I could just swing at until I won due to my HP and damage output compared to their assorted point spread.

Some guy I felt bad for in full Havel's trying to poke me out in Painted World. Doing something like 30 damage a hit vs 1800-ish HP :/ I'm sorry! I needed the Souvenirs!

...That said, the SL itself doesn't really matter more than the character itself; PvP focused with the equipment to back it up will stand up to basically any random invader I'd imagine. I'm more surprised there are not two outright conflicting covenants that invade each other. Seems like something that could've been done with
Kaathe and Frampt; Darkwraiths vs Darkmoon Blade sort of thing

Speevy

Banned
I've encountered people will all sorts of builds in the forest hunter covenant.

My character is about SL 140

37 Vit
60 STR
45 END
25 DEX
22 INT

and the rest I've left alone.

Sullichin

johntown said:
Yeah that is why going into PVP I have strong magic shield ready to cast as soon as I spawn.

The situation your are talking about I would cast magic shield first, then TWOP and take out the guy without strong magic shield with crystal homing soulmass. See if the other guys spell wore off or if he cast it again. If he did (cast it again) cast it again on myself and keep backstabbing him and hope you get him right when the spell wears off or if you have enough homing crystal soulmass keep firing them and hope you get him inbetween the strong magic shield cast.

See, that's too far off from how I normally play the game (melee) for it to be enjoyable to me.

I think my favorite times in this game have been helping other people with bosses in coop. Wish I didn't have to wait so long every time to get summoned tho

scosher

Going to start a new toon with this build in mind when I get home:

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=Q2xlcmljLDEyNSwzMCwxNiw0MCwxMiw0MCwxMSw4LDUw

Dex/Faith backstab-focused build, using Rapier +15 enchanted with Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade, and the other two attunement slots for Wrath of God and TWoP (in its nerfed 1.04 form). Along with Hornet's Ring + Dark Wood Grain ring, Grass Crest Shield, and heavy armor w/ poise since I'll be using the Grain ring anyway. From what I understand, Dex also increases the cast time of your sorceries and miracles, not just pyromancies.

Will probably pick up Astora's Straight Sword at the start and later ascend Quelaag's Furysword to help me through the PvE, since relying on a backstab build with a rapier isn't exactly optimal.

Was debating between Dex/Int and Dex/Fai, but none of the sorceries really help in getting backstabs (cept for Hidden Body which'll be nerfed like Ring of Fog anyway), while even a nerfed-TWoP will be useful. Might squeeze in 3 more points for attunement to add in a pyromancy spell like Great Fireball or Toxic Mist.

TommyT

scosher said:

Dex/Faith backstab-focused build, using Rapier +15 enchanted with Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade, and the other two attunement slots for Wrath of God and TWoP (in its nerfed 1.04 form). Along with Hornet's Ring + Dark Wood Grain ring, Grass Crest Shield, and heavy armor w/ poise since I'll be using the Grain ring anyway. From what I understand, Dex also increases the cast time of your sorceries and miracles, not just pyromancies.

Will probably pick up Astora's Straight Sword at the start and later ascend Quelaag's Furysword to help me through the PvE, since relying on a backstab build with a rapier isn't exactly optimal.

Was debating between Dex/Int and Dex/Fai, but none of the sorceries really help in getting backstabs (cept for Hidden Body which'll be nerfed like Ring of Fog anyway), while even a nerfed-TWoP will be useful. Might squeeze in 3 more points for attunement to add in a pyromancy spell like Great Fireball or Toxic Mist.

Are you wanting the ring to be able to do the flips? Are you sure that the heavy armor + the ring will result in what you're wanting due to weight?

scosher

TommyT said:
Are you wanting the ring to be able to do the flips? Are you sure that the heavy armor + the ring will result in what you're wanting due to weight?

Uhh yes. If you stay below <50%, and then equip the Grain ring, your rolls are at the speed of <25%. Not sure if run speed is similarly reduced but it seems to be (could just be placebo effect).

scy

scosher said:

Did you get any testing on Darkmoon/Sunlight done? I picked up DB last night but didn't test it. I can do that when I get off work if need be. I basically have the same build you outlined but with 40 Faith and 19 STR; planning a few more points into Faith to get some better MagAdjust since I'm fine with my ~1800 HP.

Yeah, Astora's and then Quelaag's was basically the route I went. I carry Astora's still, actually, and main Quelaag's for basically everything. Working on my back-up weapons currently.

TommyT said:

Grain Ring is the best bang for your buck since it doubles your equip load, essentially, for getting the fastest speed. I need to re-do the build once the patch hits but I can run around with Ornstein's Armor, Havel's Gauntlets, Antiquated Skirt, and Mask of the Mother without a problem; lets me use Wolf's Ring too, though I'll probably swap in Divine Favor since I need the extra load for my bigger weapons.

Preordered Skyrim on Steam. Maybe this will make me finally stop playing just Dark Souls over and over again.

QsrCF.jpg

Nah who am I kidding.

scy said:
Grain Ring is the best bang for your buck since it doubles your equip load, essentially, for getting the fastest speed. I need to re-do the build once the patch hits but I can run around with Ornstein's Armor, Havel's Gauntlets, Antiquated Skirt, and Mask of the Mother without a problem; lets me use Wolf's Ring too, though I'll probably swap in Divine Favor since I need the extra load for my bigger weapons.

I use Mask of the child and Black Leather Pants +9 over the Antiquated skirt since it's getting nerfed, but I've been using Ornstein's armor and Havel's gauntlets as well.

ixix said:
But the player doesn't know that without
finding Gwyndolin himself. My contention was that finding out the backstory of the To Link the Fire ending was as out-of-the-way as finding out the backstory of the Dark Lord ending, and so Kaathe's inaccessibility doesn't really make him inherently more trustworthy.

My point is that discovering the actual background of the ending is optional, but discovering the NPCs that push you towards that ending isn't.

Misterinenja said:
Preordered Skyrim on Steam. Maybe this will make me finally stop playing just Dark Souls over and over again.

Nah who am I kidding.

Dark Souls is the first game in which after beating it the first time I went back and beat it another four times without playing any other games. That is pretty damn special in my opinion.

scosher

scy said:
Did you get any testing on Darkmoon/Sunlight done? I picked up DB last night but didn't test it. I can do that when I get off work if need be. I basically have the same build you outlined but with 40 Faith and 19 STR; planning a few more points into Faith to get some better MagAdjust since I'm fine with my ~1800 HP.

Nope, don't have a Faith toon yet to actually test it. Highest I got was SL40 before I got utterly bored of miracles. Although, now that I think of it, I probably could've just tested on my spellsword with CMW. I'm hoping that even if backstabs' bonus applies only to the physical damage portion, maybe one of the other crit modifiers gets calculated after the enchant (rapier's 110% or the Hornet Ring). Might have to farm a Bandit's Knife too to see if the enchant's damage gets applied before or after the 147% crit bonus. And even if it doesn't, it's still probably the highest backstab build one can make.

sixghost

Misterinenja said:

QsrCF.jpg

Nah who am I kidding.
I literally thought the same thing when watching the Skyrim trailer where he fights a dragon.

"OH FUCK THAT DRAGON IS ABOUT TO BURN HIM"
"wait, that hardly even hurt him..."

Sullichin

Misterinenja said:

*silly comic*

Nah who am I kidding.

Another difference would be that the arrow will do about 10DMG to that dragon in Dark Souls and 500 in Skyrim. And the Dragon in Dark Souls will heal himself.

Booshka

Mortrialus said:
Dark Souls is the first game in which after beating it the first time I went back and beat it another four times without playing any other games. That is pretty damn special in my opinion.
It's the only game I have played since it came out Oct 4th. Been a while since I have only played one game for an entire month.

TommyT

scosher said:
Uhh yes. If you stay below <50%, and then equip the Grain ring, your rolls are at the speed of <25%. Not sure if run speed is similarly reduced but it seems to be (could just be placebo effect).

You mentioned going with heavy armor, so I was making sure you were aware that just because you have the ring on doesn't mean you'll get the flip-roll. There are other requirements as well. Ya know, to prevent the "Ima wear 100% equip load and flip all over this piece!"

scy said:
Grain Ring is the best bang for your buck since it doubles your equip load, essentially, for getting the fastest speed.

I understand this. Why are you quoting me on it?

Well fuck, I had planned on having this finished by the time Skyrim releases, but I've spent too much time dicking around and playing other games this past fortnight.

Which is why I need some advice!

Placed the Lordvessel and I'm not sure which order I should tackle the remaining areas. Haven't been to places like the New Londo Ruins or the Catacombs at all!

Help is greatly appreciated :)

Leunam

Phonomezer said:

Currently I've done:

1. Dukes Archives/Crystal Cave/Seath the Scaleless
2. Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants/Gravelord Nito
3. New Londo Ruins/The Abyss/Four Kings

Chaos Ruins is next. If you do Seath first you can get a pretty good weapon by chopping off his tail. I'm not sure if there is a recommended path.

Erekiddo

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I spent last night making my way through Sen's Fortress. Discovered a lot of secrets, picked up all the rings in the area, etc. Got up to top floor and defeated both Titans - and now I realize I forgot to rescue Big Hat Logan.

Am I screwed? The Titan was the one feeding the boulders into the machine.

Leunam said:
Currently I've done:

1. Dukes Archives/Crystal Cave/Seath the Scaleless
2. Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants/Gravelord Nito
3. New Londo Ruins/The Abyss/Four Kings

Chaos Ruins is next. If you do Seath first you can get a pretty good weapon by chopping off his tail. I'm not sure if there is a recommended path.

Hmm! I'll give this a go, half the battle is making a decision and not leaving the forest to invade people :p

Oh I haven't killed Sif yet... when should I do that?

scosher

TommyT said:
You mentioned going with heavy armor, so I was making sure you were aware that just because you have the ring on doesn't mean you'll get the flip-roll. There are other requirements as well. Ya know, to prevent the "Ima wear 100% equip load and flip all over this piece!"

It's not hard to stay under 50% weight if my intended build's weaponry weighs less than 5. That's roughly 32 wt to assemble a heavy armor set, and then still have quick rolls/run speed with Grain ring.

Phonomezer said:

finish archives + caves first, then follow with cata and tomb. rest doesn't matter. i think this is the best starting point if you want early profit from NPCs. might want to peek into izalith if you lack a proper light source.

NeoNess said:
Crap. Crap. Crap.

I spent last night making my way through Sen's Fortress. Discovered a lot of secrets, picked up all the rings in the area, etc. Got up to top floor and defeated both Titans - and now I realize I forgot to rescue Big Hat Logan.

That one respawns. Don't worry about it.

NeoNess said:
Crap. Crap. Crap.

The one that feeds boulders respawns when you hit a bonfire.

Augemitbutter said:
finish archives + caves first, then follow with cata and tomb. rest doesn't matter. i think this is the best starting point if you want early profit from NPCs. might want to peek into izalith if you lack a proper light source.

Thanks!

Leunam said:
Before you try and walk the Abyss, so whenever you decide to do the New Londo Ruins.

Awesome, thanks. I know what I'll be doing today!

TommyT

scosher said:
It's not hard to stay under 50% weight if my intended build's weaponry weighs less than 5. That's roughly 32 wt to assemble a heavy armor set, and then still have quick rolls/run speed with Grain ring.

That's cool. Just making sure you were aware of it and not doing what I had said in the previous post.

scy

scosher said:

31.9. I note that if only because my build gets exactly 37.0 with my Claymore equipped and it's back to slow roll :( That was pretty disheartening when I had it happen, lol.

Anyway, I'll try to do something with the backstab testing on Enchants; I mean, I have a DEX build anyway, I might see about adding BS/Riposte stuff into it. Widens the arsenal a little.

TommyT said:
I understand this. Why are you quoting me on it?

Wasn't sure based off your comment; read it as a "Grain Ring over Havel's, you sure?" thing. Sorry.

Danielsan

Yeah! Just made my way through the Tomb of Giants for the first time and beat Gravelord Nito on my first try (pushover). Once you acquire the lantern (which actually is 5 minutes into the tomb) the area actually becomes really cool. I kind of loved it actually. If this is the so called the worst area Dark Souls has to offer, than it may definitely firmly hold its place as my GOTY 2011.

Misterinenja said:

QsrCF.jpg

Nah who am I kidding.

Funny thing is, there was a video of somebody playing Skyrim in that thread and the dragon actually did annihilate him when it shot fire at his face. Maybe Bethesda's learned something, LOL.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Mortrialus said:
My point is that discovering the actual background of the ending is optional, but discovering the NPCs that push you towards that ending isn't.

But the background of the ending was what I was referring to. I made that comment as a direct response to a post saying that Kaathe seemed more trustworthy because he was more out of the way. It wasn't intended as any sort of broad commentary.

Booshka

AlphaDragoon said:
Funny thing is, there was a video of somebody playing Skyrim in that thread and the dragon actually did annihilate him when it shot fire at his face. Maybe Bethesda's learned something, LOL.
I'm sure the press video they had was like most press videos where the player has god mode on.

Silly question, how do I get to the corpse under the bridge at the firelink shrine leading to the burg? Do you just roll from the above cliff?

Zeliard

RadicalRad said:
Silly question, how do I get to the corpse under the bridge at the firelink shrine leading to the burg? Do you just roll from the above cliff?

You can either drop down from the top or do a running jump across the gap.

Sullichin

Danielsan said:
Yeah! Just made my way through the Tomb of Giants for the first time and beat Gravelord Nito on my first try (pushover). Once you acquire the lantern (which actually is 5 minutes into the tomb) the area actually becomes really cool. I kind of loved it actually. If this is the so called the worst area Dark Souls has to offer, than it may definitely firmly hold its place as my GOTY 2011.

I hated TOTG but NG+ reminded me of how unbearable Blighttown is because of the framerate. I'm spending more time there this run through to help people with Quelagg Co-op... walking about that area is just not fun at all. I'd say the worst areas of the game are TOTG, Blighttown, and New Londo. All dark, all have frame rate issues really, but Blighttown has the worst FPS of all.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Kweh said:
There was a message on the floor in front of Gwynevere that said "Amazing chest ahead".

lol
There usually are one or two in front of Gwynevere and also around the giant statue of her.

I put one down but no one uprated it. :(

Danielsan

I want to join the Blade of the Darkmoon. What do I need to move the levers in Arno Londo?

Sullichin said:
I hated TOTG but NG+ reminded me of how unbearable Blighttown is because of the framerate. I'm spending more time there this run through to help people with Quelagg Co-op... walking about that area is just not fun at all. I'd say the worst areas of the game are TOTG, Blighttown, and New Londo. All dark, all have frame rate issues really, but Blighttown has the worst FPS of all.
Blight Town's framerate is quite atrocious, but in general I had very little issues with the place once I went there with my second character. It may be my least favorite place in Dark Souls, but I certainly don't hate it. The worst part about Blight Town isn't the framerate though, it's the god damn respawning mosquitos.

scy

Danielsan said:
I want to join the Blade of the Darkmoon. What do I need to move the levers in Arno Londo?

Nothing? It's the same lever you used to lower the dais to begin with. It goes down one more level. You do need the Darkmoon Seance Ring to get access to the Darkmoon Blade Covenant area itself and that is from the Catacombs. There's a warpable bonfire down there so it's at least a little convenient to return to later.

Just ... don't enter the fog door down there.

Zzoram

Platinum baby!

Protip for Priscilla:

Hit her 3-4 times really fast in a row with a low power spear and she loses her invisibility. It's apparently a status bar you have to build, multiple hits in a row breaks the spell.

You want to use a low power weapon so you don't accidentally kill her before you get her tail.

TommyT

Zzoram said:
Platinum baby!

Protip for Priscilla:

Hit her 3-4 times really fast in a row with a low power spear and she loses her invisibility. It's apparently a status bar you have to build, multiple hits in a row breaks the spell.

You want to use a low power weapon so you don't accidentally kill her before you get her tail.

Said this many many posts ago. However, you will have someone come back and say "just hit her with fire".

Zzoram

I'm pretty burned out now. Half way done NG++ and got a platinum. I don't even want to play that character anymore, stupid mage so overpowered.

I want to make a really low level PvP melee dueler. Not sure what would be best at a low level.

oracrest

I defeated the murderer in Anor Londo. It only took me 2 tries, but it's scary not being able to heal during the fight.

I was exploring the Tomb of Giants, but readily getting my ass beat by the quadraped giants, so I started for the open door near Anor Londo that leads to the crystal men area...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
Yeah, with the lantern I actually enjoyed it a fair bit, especially with the super generous bonfires. Lost Izalith, however... urgh. I expect I'll be skipping that area should I play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom