• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
Platinum baby!

Protip for Priscilla:

Hit her 3-4 times really fast in a row with a low power spear and she loses her invisibility. It's apparently a status bar you have to build, multiple hits in a row breaks the spell.

You want to use a low power weapon so you don't accidentally kill her before you get her tail.

Yeah found a youtube video on this technique (demon spear against invisibility + drake sword for tail). Wished I knew that before my second attempt to cut her tail.

Now I'll have to do it in NG++ if I'm not burned out before.

So, I just started a new faith char, and I'm in Sen's Fortress, but when I try to talk to Siegmeyer, he doesn't say anything. In fact, the shows the X to talk popup, but nothing happens when I talk.

Do I need to talk to him in Sen's for him to appear later? I want his miracle :\.

Rez said:
Yeah, with the lantern I actually enjoyed it a fair bit, especially with the super generous bonfires. Lost Izalith, however... urgh. I expect I'll be skipping that area should I play again.

How do you skip it ? The only shortcut I know of is from Chaos covenant to the entrance of Lost Izalith.

(I just pull all the big monsters together so that they kill each other while I drink tea. It takes time).

scosher

scy said:
Did you get any testing on Darkmoon/Sunlight done? I picked up DB last night but didn't test it. I can do that when I get off work if need be. I basically have the same build you outlined but with 40 Faith and 19 STR; planning a few more points into Faith to get some better MagAdjust since I'm fine with my ~1800 HP.

Woo, just tested it on my spellsword with CMW and a Raw Bandit's Knife that I had made for the trophy.

After some easy math, the bad news is:

Backstabs and ripostes (and I'm assuming DMB follows the same formula) only apply to the physical portion of the damage.

CMW added a flat damage increase of 268 to my R1 attacks with the knife (50 Int, Logan's catalyst) against those first undead warriors outside of firelink shrine. When backstabbing/riposting with CMW, it was the exact same damage increase, so it's safe to say that it neither applies to the backstab multiplier or the bandit knife's 147% multiplier.

Good news, however, is that it DID apply before Hornet's ring. I equipped Hornet's ring, and did the same backstabs/ripostes with the same dagger against the same enemies, and then again with CMW. The difference in damage was suddenly 402, exactly 1.5 of what CMW previously gave me w/out Hornet's ring.

End result - Hornet's ring + weapon enchant in a backstab build should be pretty badass.

scosher

Thagomizer said:
GOD DAMMNIT

I drop down to get Avelyn and an archer picks me off before I could down an Estus

That weapon is such a pain in the ass

Or Strong Magic Shield that you get around the same area.

Danielsan

scy said:
Nothing? It's the same lever you used to lower the dais to begin with. It goes down one more level. You do need the Darkmoon Seance Ring to get access to the Darkmoon Blade Covenant area itself and that is from the Catacombs. There's a warpable bonfire down there so it's at least a little convenient to return to later.

Just ... don't enter the fog door down there.
I thought I had to use the levers around the place that weren't responding. D'oh.
Got the covenant. Thanks!

mudkyp

S ranked the game finally! Only took 105 hours and to top it off, my final weapon for the trophy I pried from the corpse of Patches. That felt really really good.

2AdEPT

Giard said:
So it isn't worth it in most cases then. I guess I'll just stick to upgrading it normally.
no it actually increases the particular resistance i think. FOr example if a sheild pans out:
100 physical
30 magic
75 fire
50 lightning

...you could consider making it a "magic" shield using the path for magic weapons and it would increase the resistance to that one element. THe only problem is you only get so many stones, and the returns are pretty minor.....like raises it about 10 points max....adn its just easier to get a huge booset in magic protection from the crest shield ...so just swithch shields when you need to. Same ofr lightning (eagle, wooden, etc.) or fire (hollow, Dragon etc.)

(reference..the beautiful, but soon to be messed with, strategy guide.)

matmanx1

Worked on Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith off and on today while I was off of work. It's a tough area with many tough enemies but I don't think it's inherently worse than other areas in Dark Souls.

I think that fighting many Capra Demons, Taurus Demons and Bounding Demons up close leaves very little room for error and I certainly died alot but I also think the soul payout is very high and the layout (especially with the Chaos Servant shortcut) is actually quite good. I've got some Prowling Demon farming to do (and man is that guy tough!) and I've still got to beat the Bed of Chaos but once those ends are tied up I will be ready for the endgame.

Does anyone have a link to the 1.04 item changes? I was going to take a look and try and plan out what gear I want to focus on upgrading and what can be skipped but I don't want to spend time and souls on stuff that's getting the nerf bat.

2AdEPT

Giard said:
Someone give me tips for
the Darkwraith knights at the bottom of New Londo Ruins.
They ambush me and kill me in a matter of seconds once I get down there. Do they have a weakness?
crystal ring shield - or if that's too cheap, I used the cursed sword of artorias two hadned and it took two combos (i.e. a combo is one swing down plus one combo swing up) four swings total. They usually only hit once when engaged..but give them their chance at a combo and you are finshed. I hate how when they do the death move it one shots you but when you get the dark hand it does like 50 damage....one time I invaded and a poor sap was in the can or something and his character was just standing there...so rather than cheap shot him outrigth i thought I would test the dark hand....I had it maxed out, adn yet not only did I get zero humanity (must have been human '00') but it did like 50 damage...I sat there for 10 minutes it seemed....even doing the odd backstab for 200. I got his health bar pretty low, but refused to kill him...then all of a sudden he finally grabs his controiller and one shots me....I felt real baddass getting that suit and glove...now I feel stupid....BTW the shield thingy if you put the hand in the left hand looks cool but sucks for stability and disappears pretty quick if something strong hits it.

edit: for the DW's ensure you lure them out one at a time...I figured this was obviosu by this point, but they enjoy gang mauling more than the dredgelings

also wathc what you use on the DW's as the 4 kings are up next and depending on your strategy there is no bonfire to replenish magic or pyro. My opinion is that hte DW's are worth feeding the spam as the 4 kings battle goes better with melee plus stamia regen anyway.

Ornstein & Smough on NG+ are near impossible for me...

Still using gold hemmed black armor set for my light character, would like to change it to something else, any suggestions?

2AdEPT

vodka-bull said:

Still using gold hemmed black armor set for my light character, would like to change it to something else, any suggestions?
ornsteins, dark upgraded looks cool but throw in Havel's leggins for some extra defense...still looks like a set.) BUt if you can't find the father mask, dark wood ring, and/or the havel's and favor ring, then The antiquated skirt is better for most things than gold hemmed including ornstein and smough owing to high lightning resist. Elite knight is the possible "best all around weight to resit ratio" armour but will get nerfed soon so buyer beware.

Speaking of Skyrim, apparently there's a Perk in that game called "Dark Souls" where re-animated undead have more 100 more HP.

Guess Bethesda enjoys this game too.

scosher

vodka-bull said:

All starter sets beat out Gold-Hemmed once they're upgraded to about +8 or +9. Of the light armors, I think the two best are Wanderer's set and Tattered Cloth set, but it's worth swapping in some individual pieces here and there for standouts like the Antiquated Skirt (getting nerfed next patch, so Maiden Skirt will likely end up next best option), Dingy Robes, and any of the Masks/Crowns.

Medium armor, there's Elite Knight armor (but that's getting nerfed). Ornstein's armor is overrated imo because you can't upgrade it. In 1.04, for the exact same weight and poise, the Silver Knight Armor at +5 has superior stats (and is better for Lightning defense specifically for that fight). IMO, Silver Knight set or regular Knight set will be the best medium armor in 1.04.

Heavy armor, it's all about mixing and matching to get your weight under <50% as you're only getting these pieces for their poise. But basically boils down to Black Iron (low end on poise, but lowest weight), Giant/Smough's (only slightly more weight, but each piece has like 3-4 more poise than Black Iron), Stone, and lastly Havel's. Avoid Golem's armor as Giant/Smough's is superior at the same weight.

Sullichin

am i going crazy. could you never use the analog sticks in menus? wat.

stealth edit so i don't look as retarded obviously you cant. i thought you could at bonfires tho.

Hey GAF, halfway through Demon's Souls and I'm already playing Dark Souls.

Liking it so far, have the 360 version my brother bought it.

But something strange seems to be going on with my movement, it feels really sluggish compared to Demon's Souls, and no I don't mean frame rate or armour burden.

I mean sometimes I'm walking at full walking speed with my stick held forward and my character will slowdown for seemingly no reason....or maybe it's when he gets near objects.

Also when I hold B to run it seems really inconsistent and sometimes my run doesn't work or stops working for no reason, even with loads of stamina left.

I've tried 2 different pads with the same results. Turned on Demon's Souls on PS3 to see if there was a difference and it is massive, so responsive and fluid to my button presses.

What the hell is going on? Is this a patching issue that PS3 resolved but not 360? Are there any plans by FROM to patch the 360 version in general or are MS's patching policies delaying them till they have a substantial patch?

Also with the movement problems could it be that it was coded for PS3 first which uses analogue buttons but then ported to 360 without taking in the lack of analogue buttons into account?

Either way my movement issue is very frustrating and makes getting around quickly or accurately a pain in the ass.

Anyone else get this issue I'm talking about?

Question about a prisoner I just found:

Should I free him? What do I get if I do/don't? I'm in that undead church just after you find the elevator back to the Firelink Shrine.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Jimmy Stav said:

Should I free him? What do I get if I do/don't? I'm in that undead church just after you find the elevator back to the Firelink Shrine.

Yes, you'll get a small reward for the time being. What happens after that is up to you. Dun dun dun..

scy

Jimmy Stav said:

You get
a Sunlight Medal, an item needed to rank up for one of the Covenants in the game; if you don't, he frees himself anyway

Thagomizer said:
GOD DAMMNIT

I drop down to get Avelyn and an archer picks me off before I could down an Estus

That weapon is such a pain in the ass

That happened to me too, except I was lucky enough to actually get the weapon as I died, so when I respawned at the bonfire I had it. Suck it, archer! XD

scosher said:
Heavy armor, it's all about mixing and matching to get your weight under <50% as you're only getting these pieces for their poise. But basically boils down to Black Iron (low end on poise, but lowest weight), Giant/Smough's (only slightly more weight, but each piece has like 3-4 more poise than Black Iron), Stone, and lastly Havel's. Avoid Golem's armor as Giant/Smough's is superior at the same weight.

Giant's Helmet/Gauntlets + Ornstein's Armor/Leggings makes you look like a boss, and you get 65 Poise out of it without Wolf Ring which you wouldn't get with Ornstein's alone. Pieces from the Giant set looks good with a LOT of gear sets actually, combine that with the ridiculously high DEF and Poise and you have a lot of options.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, this was supposed to be edited into my other one. :/

tokkun

vodka-bull said:

Turn human and summon for that fight. Even if you are at a weird level and can't find humans, you can summon Solaire. Having another target to take some heat off you makes a world of difference. Just beat that fight in NG++ with Solaire and took almost no damage.

FFFFUUUUUU

Upgraded my Zweihander to lightning as soon as I reached Anor Londo only to realize it does fuck all damage to S&O second form.

I should know by now, this is the third time I reached this point :(

tokkun said:
Turn human and summon for that fight. Even if you are at a weird level and can't find humans, you can summon Solaire. Having another target to take some heat off you makes a world of difference. Just beat that fight in NG++ with Solaire and took almost no damage.
Dealing with both of them isn't the problem, but the advanced ornstein is. And I can't beat ornstein first because I need his soul for weaponforging. That's also the problem why I can't summon anyone, I don't want to have to do this fight on NG++ just because the other guy decides he wants to beat ornstein first.

Thanks for the tips about better light armor, I'm gonna try upgrading some of the stuff you guys mentioned to see if it works for the ornstein fight.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Navigating Blighttown swamps... question on the Crimson Robes (red). Does it offer special protection against poison or anything? Maybe when worn as a set? It doesn't indicate, and I have individual armor that all has better Poison resistance.

I just remember reading somewhere how great this armor is for this area, and not sure why. Someone tip me off?

tokkun

vodka-bull said:
Dealing with both of them isn't the problem, but the advanced ornstein is. And I can't beat ornstein first because I need his soul for weaponforging. That's also the problem why I can't summon anyone, I don't want to have to do this fight on NG++ just because the other guy decides he wants to beat ornstein first.

Thanks for the tips about better light armor, I'm gonna try upgrading some of the stuff you guys mentioned to see if it works for the ornstein fight.

Solaire doesn't deal much damage, so you don't have to worry about him killing Ornstein right away. I had about half of upgraded Smough's health gone before he died, so you may find him helpful to distract upgraded Ornstein for a while.

When I fought upgraded Ornstein I handled him by getting in really close and constantly circling, then attacking with Great Combustion or my weapon after he missed. If he jumps in the air, double roll to get out of the way.

Anyway, when I co-op that boss fight with others, I always just run to the boss they are not attacking and distract them without attacking until the host kills the one he is fighting.

Just wondering and checking in - as the patch been released for PS3 North America yet?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read a few posts back up.

How fucking long is Namco going to take? I originally planned to put Dark Souls down until the patch goes live, but if it's going to take them so long then I might as well just keep playing now.

Speevy

Banned
Am I a bad guy?

I just killed a forest invader who was also being attacked by a red dark phantom.

So I killed the invader, which caused the red guy to stop his attack. Then I turned around and killed him too.

Over 1 million souls.

My character is now level 150 with almost 1,800 HP.

tokkun

Speevy said:
Am I a bad guy?

I just killed a forest invader who was also being attacked by a red dark phantom.

So I killed the invader, which caused the red guy to stop his attack. Then I turned around and killed him too.

Over 1 million souls.

My character is now level 150 with almost 1,800 HP.

I didn't know red phantoms could attack blue ones. If you were in human form then the red phantom was technically there for you, so you should kill him.

As far as carrying excess souls, I'm at SL110 and don't want to go any higher because I figure I'm in the sweet spot for PvP. So I'm currently carrying around about 500K souls and will probably just keep accumulating more until I die without recovering or get the patch and can spend them on Twinkling.

tokkun

toasty_T said:
I wanna get more miracles and I'm about to head into TotG.

Can I kill
Petrus
before I leave Firelink Shrine?

Yes, and it's probably a good idea to do so before you complete the Tomb.

TommyT

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Just wondering and checking in - as the patch been released for PS3 North America yet?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read a few posts back up.

How fucking long is Namco going to take? I originally planned to put Dark Souls down until the patch goes live, but if it's going to take them so long then I might as well just keep playing now.

:lol

UFRA

Has anyone seen messages with a lot of ratings yet?

I am 55 hrs into the game and finally at Darkroot Garden's bonfire, there was a "Praise the Sun!" message that had 115 votes and the picture was like a knight. It was refreshing to see...

AlphaDragoon said:
Poise is getting nerfed hard, from what I understand.

Think I could get by if I equip the Wolf's Ring? Halfway through NG+ and I just love the way the armor looks...plus it's the cover art armor so it just feels like Dark Souls.

Booshka

Ryujin said:
Hey GAF, halfway through Demon's Souls and I'm already playing Dark Souls.

Liking it so far, have the 360 version my brother bought it.

But something strange seems to be going on with my movement, it feels really sluggish compared to Demon's Souls, and no I don't mean frame rate or armour burden.

I mean sometimes I'm walking at full walking speed with my stick held forward and my character will slowdown for seemingly no reason....or maybe it's when he gets near objects.

Also when I hold B to run it seems really inconsistent and sometimes my run doesn't work or stops working for no reason, even with loads of stamina left.

I've tried 2 different pads with the same results. Turned on Demon's Souls on PS3 to see if there was a difference and it is massive, so responsive and fluid to my button presses.

What the hell is going on? Is this a patching issue that PS3 resolved but not 360? Are there any plans by FROM to patch the 360 version in general or are MS's patching policies delaying them till they have a substantial patch?

Also with the movement problems could it be that it was coded for PS3 first which uses analogue buttons but then ported to 360 without taking in the lack of analogue buttons into account?

Either way my movement issue is very frustrating and makes getting around quickly or accurately a pain in the ass.

Anyone else get this issue I'm talking about?
I've seen this problem happen. It happens pretty rarely, but it is annoying, I guess it is something with the 360 version, but I think it happens when you are moving your thumbstick up and left that it will sometimes not register and you will start walking. It's weird and hard to explain, but there is definitely something strange about it.

NeoNess said:
Crap. Crap. Crap.

I spent last night making my way through Sen's Fortress. Discovered a lot of secrets, picked up all the rings in the area, etc. Got up to top floor and defeated both Titans - and now I realize I forgot to rescue Big Hat Logan.

Am I screwed? The Titan was the one feeding the boulders into the machine.

Here is another ho-dum-dinger. There is another secret way you can open that area to him without the boulders.

Speevy

Banned
tokkun said:
I didn't know red phantoms could attack blue ones. If you were in human form then the red phantom was technically there for you, so you should kill him.

As far as carrying excess souls, I'm at SL110 and don't want to go any higher because I figure I'm in the sweet spot for PvP. So I'm currently carrying around about 500K souls and will probably just keep accumulating more until I die without recovering or get the patch and can spend them on Twinkling.

Well the forest covenant has no level caps so you're pretty much fighting everyone from everywhere.

It's cool because you can take out some really high level players who are hoarding their souls (I guess, is it based on level or souls you're carrying) and get like 700,000 souls by killing them.

So, I bought the Silent Comedy album that Bartholomew was on...

err. Bartholomew and All Saints Day are definitely the highlights. Very uneven album overall.

EDIT: Although those highpoints are very good. I have Bartholomew on repeat at the moment. Really excellent song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom