• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

Beat the game, after 66 hours. Didn't abuse riposte for the final boss. Though I did cheese him in my own way (kept a pillar between me and him and threw fireballs when he came around).

Speevy

Banned
Thagomizer said:
...elaboration?

elaboration.jpg

Aselith

Thagomizer said:
So, I bought the Silent Comedy album that Bartholomew was on...

err. Bartholomew and All Saints Day are definitely the highlights. Very uneven album overall.

EDIT: Although those highpoints are very good. I have Bartholomew on repeat at the moment. Really excellent song.

Bartholomew is Lord Gwyn's stage name?

Speevy said:

I shudder to think how this will escalate.

EDIT: Listening through again. I like most of it, really dislike some songs, which is par for the course. I can count the albums where I liked every song on my fingers.

LIKE:

'49

Bartholomew

Gasoline: Actually, this is my favorite song on the album. The last minute just makes me smile. Brilliantly song. Reminds me of Fleet Foxes while still being distinct from them.

All Saints Day

Footnotes

DISLIKE:

Poison: just don't like it.
The Well: I strongly dislike Gospel.
Moonshine: Bland.
Tightrope: Sounds like a Mumford and Sons song.
Exploitation: sounds like a gritty cover of a Mumford and Sons song.

NO TIER:

Foreward

I'd give it a 3.5/5. I really, really like the songs that I enjoy, but half the album of "skip" still brings it down.

2AdEPT

vodka-bull said:
Dealing with both of them isn't the problem, but the advanced ornstein is. And I can't beat ornstein first because I need his soul for weaponforging. That's also the problem why I can't summon anyone, I don't want to have to do this fight on NG++ just because the other guy decides he wants to beat ornstein first.

Thanks for the tips about better light armor, I'm gonna try upgrading some of the stuff you guys mentioned to see if it works for the ornstein fight.
YOu have control of the fog door.

1.) clear area
2.) message helper(s) as to what you are going to do
3.) if they don't listen.... send them home.

TommyT

Thagomizer said:
I shudder to think how this will escalate.

EDIT: Listening through again. I like most of it, really dislike some songs, which is par for the course. I can count the albums where I liked every song on my fingers.

LIKE:

'49

Bartholomew

Gasoline: Actually, this is my favorite song on the album. The last minute just makes me smile. Brilliantly song. Reminds me of Fleet Foxes while still being distinct from them.

All Saints Day

Footnotes

DISLIKE:

Poison: just don't like it.
The Well: I strongly dislike Gospel.
Moonshine: Bland.
Tightrope: Sounds like a Mumford and Sons song.
Exploitation: sounds like a gritty cover of a Mumford and Sons song.

NO TIER:

Foreward

I'd give it a 3.5/5. I really, really like the songs that I enjoy, but half the album of "skip" still brings it down.

Is this... from the OST? Cause I mean ya know man... All Saints Day is a cool drinking movie and all.

matmanx1

Bed of Chaos down. That was an annoying fight, not because you have to learn what to do but just because certain hits can be almost instant death if you happen to be near a hole in the floor.

At least the damage you did on previous attempts sticks around. That at least makes it tolerable.

I had a weird thing happen earlier. The Prowling Demon that respawns disappeared for a while (like 2 separate run throughs of that short cut using 2 different bonfires) and then came back after one of my failed boss attempts. I was afraid I was going to miss out on more Demon Titanite but he appears to be back for good now. I was able to max my Darkmoon Bow at +5 and while it doesn't quite beat the Lava Bow from Demon's Souls for cool factor it does fire faster and finally does decent damage with regular arrows.

I still want to upgrade my Gravelord Great Sword and the Lifehunt Scythe just because I think both of them are very cool weapons and can be useful in certain situations. In fact, I think if I was doing a Dex focused build for PVP I might look into the Lifehunt Scythe as it has B rank Dex scaling and the bleed proc is fierce. I absolutely destroyed the Demon Firesage with it.

Now it's down to just doing some farming in the Kiln for chunks and BK weapons and of course killing Gwynn and that will be about it for this play through. Is it bad I'm already thinking of my progression for NG+?

2AdEPT

IrishNinja said:
alright, got all the stuff i needed...one last level before the endgame!

1) the greatsword of astoria or whatever i made from sif's soul - i know it can hurt ghosts, can it keep skellies from being reanimated by douchey mages, or am i stuck with the old weak astoria sword?

2) related: is there any other way to get into the tomb of the giants than going back through the catacombs? id rather skip doing that again, if i could.

i really enjoyed using the occult club you find already upgraded lying around somewhere.....try the strong attack on the skellies!!

I do not beleive there is any other way through, but you can fall down to the blacksmith or even cheat the pinwheel skellies out of a fight by falling down closest to the fog door.

Either way you don't have to complete the whole walkthrough...the skellies do so little damage I have run through, fallen down and used half an estus without killing anything. MIunte and half tops.

I think I glitched the game.
Beat the Centipede demon boss, he dies & falls over with half of his body through a wall.

And no demon soul from the boss!

Is that supposed to be right or did the drop for the bosses souls glitch inside a wall?

That boss isn't one that is needed to get to the last boss is it?

sixghost

See You Next Wednesday said:
I think I glitched the game.
Beat the Centipede demon boss, he dies & falls over with half of his body through a wall.

And no demon soul from the boss!

Is that supposed to be right or did the drop for the bosses souls glitch inside a wall?

That boss isn't one that is needed to get to the last boss is it?
That's not good.

Try quitting and restarting, if the soul isn't there you are going to have to go back and farm 30 humanity to open the shortcut which doesn't require you to cross any lava. There is absolutely no way you can go the normal way without the lava ring.

sixghost said:
That's not good.

Try quitting and restarting, if the soul isn't there you are going to have to go back and farm 30 humanity to open the shortcut which doesn't require you to cross any lava. There is absolutely no way you can go the normal way without the lava ring.

I got the lava ring from his tail, just didn't get the boss soul.
Was there supposed to be a boss soul from him?

Booshka

See You Next Wednesday said:
I got the lava ring from his tail, just didn't get the boss soul.
Was there supposed to be a boss soul from him?
Nah, you just need the ring, he isn't one of the Lord Souls you need, proceed through the level.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Oh dammit, this first playthrough is such a crapshoot in so many ways.

I
had to kill Solaire because a bug got on his head.
I got the Witch's ring though, and now after talking to
Quelaag's sister
, I feel like crap. I might
kill her to put her out of her misery
sooner or later.

Akuun said:
Oh dammit, this first playthrough is such a crapshoot in so many ways.

I
had to kill Solaire because a bug got on his head.
I got the Witch's ring though, and now after talking to
Quelaag's sister
, I feel like crap. I might
kill her to put her out of her misery
sooner or later.

Don't. Believe me, that'll make you feel much worse.

She thinks that her sister, whose been protecting her and desperately trying to gather Humanity to heal her, just killed her. For no reason. And then there's Eingyi...

Dresden

Thagomizer said:
Don't. Believe me, that'll make you feel much worse.

She thinks that her sister, whose been protecting her and desperately trying to gather Humanity to heal her, just killed her. For no reason. And then there's Eingyi...
I need to do this.

coldvein

Banned
question: why can't i use the black eye orb to go find
the person who killed the fire spirit lady
? it's equipped, i hit da button and my character makes the "what nothing is happening1!!" motion. i am sad, help. : (

coldvein said:
question: why can't i use the black eye orb to go find
the person who killed the fire spirit lady
? it's equipped, i hit da button and my character makes the "what nothing is happening1!!" motion. i am sad, help. : (

It'll trigger by itself. You'll know when to use it; it's literally impossible to miss the cue.

Kyleripman said:
Think I could get by if I equip the Wolf's Ring? Halfway through NG+ and I just love the way the armor looks...plus it's the cover art armor so it just feels like Dark Souls.

I think you could get by pretty easy with a Wolf's Ring on. You only need like 75+ Poise to withstand a hit from a 2H Zweihander or something like that, most normal enemies can't even break the 40 the ring gives you.

Nose Master

Does anyone sell standard / cheap arrows besides the vendor in undeadburg (behind the box stairs) that I may or may not have murdered for no reason? :(

Dresden

Nose Master said:
Does anyone sell standard / cheap arrows besides the vendor in undeadburg (behind the box stairs) that I may or may not have murdered for no reason? :(
Dude at the top of Sen's Fortress does.

Also the upcoming patch will give almost every vendor arrows iirc.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dresden said:
Dude at the top of Sen's Fortress does.

Also the upcoming patch will give almost every vendor arrows iirc.

This is the best part about having the patch now imo, arrows everywhere! (also the upgrade rocks for sale)

I'm at the rotating stairs at Anor Londo but I think I'm gonna go back and do stuff like Catacombs next..I don't think I've ever even seen the entrance to the catacombs even though I explored the graveyard next to Firelink..maybe a silly oversight.

worldrevolution said:
This is the best part about having the patch now imo, arrows everywhere! (also the upgrade rocks for sale)

I'm at the rotating stairs at Anor Londo but I think I'm gonna go back and do stuff like Catacombs next..I don't think I've ever even seen the entrance to the catacombs even though I explored the graveyard next to Firelink..maybe a silly oversight.

It's down a staircase along the cliff edge. It's really hard to miss.

Giard

Trying to get
Avelyn
from the Duke's Archives. Is this actually possible to screw up for a playthrough? I can't seem to get to the rotating stairs anymore.

NVM, I just found out how. :p

Is there a way to aim with it, like a bow?

TP

Thagomizer said:
It'll trigger by itself. You'll know when to use it; it's literally impossible to miss the cue.

Nope, in my first playthrough I allowed the event to happen and I never got a cue.
I fully explored Anor Londo and stopped at the boss fog gate to check the interwebs. If I hadn't I would have missed it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Giard said:
Trying to get
Avelyn
from the Duke's Archives. Is this actually possible to screw up for a playthrough? I can't seem to get to the rotating stairs anymore.

Mathematically speaking, the adjacency matrices of those floors(modeled using vertices, with stairs modeled as paths between them) with different possible rotating stair configurations are all invertible.

So no.

Jeo said:
Nope, in my first playthrough I allowed the event to happen and I never got a cue.
I fully explored Anor Londo and stopped at the boss fog gate to check the interwebs. If I hadn't I would have missed it.

Huh. Dunno how that happened. Mine went off while I was Hollow so I don't know what's up on your end.

TP

I was hollow too and the item was not equipped.
Probably a bug

Unless I did need to have it equipped and if that's the case how the hell was I supposed to know that?

Jeo said:
I was hollow too and the item was not equipped.
Probably a bug

Unless I did need to have it equipped and if that's the case how the hell was I supposed to know that?

I think it was a bug; mine wasn't equipped.

Insaniac

SL 38, best place to drop sign? I tried at the Iron Golem and got like 5 summons in an hour, and then nothing for 3 hours straight

maomaoIYP

toasty_T said:
Without great combustion as a crutch, the harpies in The Painted World are scary as fuck.

Block their wing strikes, when they prepare to do their dive attack, just walk right underneath them as they fly up.

S&O on NG+ broke my spirit a bit. I wanted to kill spear douche last but that just wasn't going to happen.

It didn't help that I was getting invaded like crazy everytime I tried to clear the area before the fog gate and then summon solaire.

Thagomizer said:
Nito's theme is soooo good. I love how there's a fucking harpsichord in it.

Yes it is. When I heard it in game, I didn't think too much of it. All I remembered was that it sounded dissonant and foreboding. Then I sat down to listen to the OST and when that song came up... I fell in love with it as soon as the section that sounds like lost souls or the wind is actually singing accompaniment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom