• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm, to get Queelana to appear you need

1. The gold hemmed set
2. Pyro flame at +10 (it has to be a pyro flame from that game. Criteria has to be met again in NG)

Went back to her from 7 through 10 and it wans't until 10 that she showed up.

Not sure whether you have to join the chaos covenant but you have to discover it at least.

Sullichin

toasty_T said:

1. The gold hemmed set
2. Pyro flame at +10 (it has to be a pyro flame from that game. Criteria has to be met again in NG)

Not sure whether you have to join the chaos covenant but you have to discover it at least.

you don't need the chaos covenant, and she was there in my NG+ with the same pyro glove that I used my last playthrough.

Speevy

Banned
Haha, funny stuff in PvP.

I was just taking on this guy and he's doing really well. He manages to avoid my axe and he's keeping my invader partner at bay too. He's also managed to cut me up a few times.

So I'm thinking he's going to find a way out of this predicament. I'm running low on health and the other guy appears to be a fairly low level that wouldn't give him any trouble. The problem for him is...he's low on health too.

So we go between some trees and out of nowhere Pharis shoots him dead.

JVIDICAN

Beatrice is a fucking idiot during the 4 kings boss. >:{
When I step through the fog she starts wasting soul masses and spears on a ghost, doing absolutely nothing. Then she either falls to her death or when she does make it into the abyss, stands there for about 2 minutes doing nothing while I'm getting wailed on. >:[

toasty_T said:

1. The gold hemmed set

Gold hemmed is definitely not a requirement. I first talked to her waaaaay before I even entered the Demon Ruins, let alone Discharge's area.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
toasty_T said:

1. The gold hemmed set

She showed up in my game when my flame was like +3.

NeoCross

So what's the general opinion on the Lifehunt Scythe? I'm thinking about using it as a PvP weapon as it scales with Dex(B), and it also has the bleed effect.

And random question, does bleed affect bosses as well?

Speevy

Banned
NeoCross said:
So what's the general opinion on the Lifehunt Scythe? I'm thinking about using it as a PvP weapon as it scales with Dex(B), and it also has the bleed effect.

I used the bleed effect to beat stray demon.

lol this doesn't make sense.

I went to her spot in NG+ to get a copy of great combustion when I had a fully upgraded glove in hand and she was a no show.

Now I went back to her spot over and over make small changes to get something definitive worked out and it looks it's just random from what I'm reading.

From, you bastards.

NeoCross said:

i wrote my impressions about it one week ago or so. it will be much better when the patch comes out, but i found it a pretty fun weapon for areas where enemies are more spread around or bosses. there is no reason to skip over it if you like it, really.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I get the dark grain ring if I refused to join the cat covenant? I.e can I go back and agree?

Not the end of the world if not, already considering my approach for NG+, can avoid a lot of the exploration and get through to the key areas pretty quickly.

gold hemmed set defn isnt a requirement. the only reason she didnt show up for me is that i didnt save the pyromancer in the depths on NG+ (I couldnt be bothered) - also, i dont use any pyro spells now since Iron Flesh is going to be nerfed.

After getting everything i need from Logain in NG+ my attunement slots are:

1 - Homing Crystal Soul Mass
2 - "
3 - Crystal Soul Spear
4 - "
5 - Soul Spear
6 - "
7 - Heavy Soul Arrow (the one where you get 20 and its a quick shot)
8 - "
9 - Homeward
10 - White Dragon Breath

So basically ,20 Crystal Soul Mass, 8 Crystal Soul Spear, 8 Soul Spear, 40 Heavy Soul Arrow, 20 Dragon BReath, 1 x Homeward. Pretty much all you need as a hefty battle mage rocking logan's catalyst and the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring.

My int is at 99 so those things hurt.

mrklaw said:
Can I get the dark grain ring if I refused to join the cat covenant? I.e can I go back and agree?

Not the end of the world if not, already considering my approach for NG+, can avoid a lot of the exploration and get through to the key areas pretty quickly.

once i said no i couldn't join the covenant anymore for that playthrough.

mrklaw said:

why did you refuse? just join every new covenent you come across then choose which one you want to stay with later.

Btw - that ring is EXCELLENT for PVP, but it takes up a slot which i think isnt great. i dont use it at all in 1 player as something like the bellowing dragoncrest ring is a lot more useful.

Parallax Scroll said:
I want to farm some demon titanites. I heard there's a titanite demon that respawns in Lost Izalith somewhere? Where's he at?
There are two close to a bonfire in sen's fortress. Drop off the far side of the first bridge. Kill lightning lizards, drop off again, profit.

Help for Nito needed, I can only get 70% of his HP... Some gaffers want to coop and put a sign ? I'm around the tomb of the giants bonfire .

Thanks !

mrklaw

MrArseFace
scosher said:
All starter sets beat out Gold-Hemmed once they're upgraded to about +8 or +9. Of the light armors, I think the two best are Wanderer's set and Tattered Cloth set, but it's worth swapping in some individual pieces here and there for standouts like the Antiquated Skirt (getting nerfed next patch, so Maiden Skirt will likely end up next best option), Dingy Robes, and any of the Masks/Crowns.

Medium armor, there's Elite Knight armor (but that's getting nerfed). Ornstein's armor is overrated imo because you can't upgrade it. In 1.04, for the exact same weight and poise, the Silver Knight Armor at +5 has superior stats (and is better for Lightning defense specifically for that fight). IMO, Silver Knight set or regular Knight set will be the best medium armor in 1.04.

Heavy armor, it's all about mixing and matching to get your weight under <50% as you're only getting these pieces for their poise. But basically boils down to Black Iron (low end on poise, but lowest weight), Giant/Smough's (only slightly more weight, but each piece has like 3-4 more poise than Black Iron), Stone, and lastly Havel's. Avoid Golem's armor as Giant/Smough's is superior at the same weight.

but couldn't you then upgrade gold hemmed to +8/9 too?

I just want to settle on decent armour before spending on upgrades as I don't have much to go around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phat Michael said:
why did you refuse? just join every new covenent you come across then choose which one you want to stay with later.

Btw - that ring is EXCELLENT for PVP, but it takes up a slot which i think isnt great. i dont use it at all in 1 player as something like the bellowing dragoncrest ring is a lot more useful.

don't know. I didn't join any covenants except that monk at firelink. Will try that out in NG+ though

mrklaw said:
but couldn't you then upgrade gold hemmed to +8/9 too?

I just want to settle on decent armour before spending on upgrades as I don't have much to go around.

Gold Hemmed can't be upgraded.

Parallax Scroll said:

He's wrong. Those don't respawn. The respawning Titanite Demon is in Lost Izalith. He's on a long bridge.

Mortrialus said:
Gold Hemmed can't be upgraded.

He's wrong. Those don't respawn. The respawning Titanite Demon is in Lost Izalith. He's on a long bridge.
thanks. i just figured it out the hard way. now i just need to find a long bridge.

Parallax Scroll said:
thanks. i just figured it out the hard way. now i just need to find a long bridge.

Or rather, he is on THE long bridge in Lost Izalith.

The fastest way to him is to join the Chaos Servants, level it up to rank 2 (Which requires 30 humanity) and use the short cut to get to him. The Short Cut is in the huge hallway right next to the boss door for Demon Firesage.

Mortrialus said:
Or rather, he is on THE long bridge in Lost Izalith.

The fastest way to him is to join the Chaos Servants, level it up to rank 2 (Which requires 30 humanity) and use the short cut to get to him. The Short Cut is in the huge hallway right next to the boss door for Demon Firesage.
i killed her little buddy so i'm not sure if i can open it. but i think i know where the other end opens. demon must be around there somewhere.

Parallax Scroll said:
i killed her little buddy so i'm not sure if i can open it. but i think i know where the other end opens. demon must be around there somewhere.

I think you might still be able to join, but the stuff you get from the little guy is lost.

Mortrialus said:
I think you might still be able to join, but the stuff you get from the little guy is lost.
yeah, after i killed him (he looked like an enemy), I still joined and paid the 30 humanity. At rank 2 i got one free pyromancy, but that's it.

Parallax Scroll said:
yeah, after i killed him (he looked like an enemy), I still joined and paid the 30 humanity. At rank 2 i got one free pyromancy, but that's it.

Btw once you open up the short cut, the Titanite demon is literally straight ahead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mortrialus said:
Btw once you open up the short cut, the Titanite demon is literally straight ahead.

if you don't open up the shortcut, can you still get to him from the other end, where it joins up with Lost Izalith?

i leveled up to Chaos Servant +2 and got the shortcut...however i have no idea if i took it or not. Basically, after i got the Lava Ring, i went down this area and ended up in this big area full of lava with big trees and roots, a hidden bonfire behind a fake door etc.

it sucked how the only reason i knew about this was a walkthrough/guide - the game explained nothing about the shortcut

Kweh

How tough is the area inside the painting? I understand you can't leave until you've beat it, don't want to be stuck there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kweh said:
How tough is the area inside the painting? I understand you can't leave until you've beat it, don't want to be stuck there.

if you're capable of clearing Anor Londo to get there, you should be fine. Take a homeward bone if you're worried.

Its a fantastic area, one of my favourite in the game.

Kweh said:
It was one of the easier areas towards the ending. If you already beat crystal caves, tomb of the giants and lost izalith I'd say it's doable for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phat Michael said:
i leveled up to Chaos Servant +2 and got the shortcut...however i have no idea if i took it or not. Basically, after i got the Lava Ring, i went down this area and ended up in this big area full of lava with big trees and roots, a hidden bonfire behind a fake door etc.

it sucked how the only reason i knew about this was a walkthrough/guide - the game explained nothing about the shortcut

that just sounds like the normal Lost Izalith? Lots of giant demons, couple of buildings in the middle?

Shortcut is before demon firesage boss - turn right and down some branches to a long bridge.

Parallax Scroll said:

Sorry for the misinformation! I read earlier in the thread they respawned but hadn't tested it myself yet (used the snuggly glitch to get all the demon titanite I need)

toasty_T said:

1. The gold hemmed set

I think there may be a few different conditions to make her appear, and that having a glove at +10 is one (but not the only) one.

I haven't gone looking for her in NG+ yet, but in my first NG she didn't appear until I had my Glove up to +10 either - but I've read other people saying that she has been around the entire time, with or without an upgraded glove.

So it may be "Some X condition being met, or glove being+10" or something, but no idea what that other "X" condition is.

johntown

Banned
MasterLeePhD said:
Where's the best place to farm humanity in Anor Londo? Need it before I fight Ornstein and Smough.
No where. Your best best is to keep killing enemies and hope one of them give you humanity (in the HUD).

Considering where you are if you really need humanity you will need to go back and farm Rats for it.

EDIT: If you are absouletly desperate you can kill the firekeeper at the first bonfire (in Anor Londo) and then consume the fire keeper soul for 5 humanity (in HUD). If you do this you will not be able to use that bonfire for the rest of the current game. Or the Painted World from the rats if you have the peculiar doll in your inventory.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quelaana never reappeared for me in either NG+ or NG++.

Disappointing, but the truth is that after the first cycle pyromancy is far less useful than straight up sorcery. Once you can double-down on homing crystal soulmass its far and away the most useful spell in the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Clear said:
Quelaana never reappeared for me in either NG+ or NG++.

Disappointing, but the truth is that after the first cycle pyromancy is far less useful than straight up sorcery. Once you can double-down on homing crystal soulmass its far and away the most useful spell in the game.

I have crappy intelligence, but an OK pyro (+10/11 I think). Should I plan to start pumping points into INT so I can use some of these cool catalysts I've found?

BTW does it take ages to level up in NG+ due to early game enemies giving few souls, or does that ramp up to compensate?

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
Fuck Seath and his fucking clipping through the wall tail.

And fuck clams.
That had to be the most annoying tail cutoff I had to do. I must have done it like 20 times before it came off.

Just run past the clams on the left side.

Leunam

Beat the game last night.

I thought Blighttown was bad, holy balls Lost Izalith is god awful. Endless lava, those stupid leaping lizzies, pointless statues, and then the boss. Easy, but annoying. I never want to go back.

But then I hit Kiln of the First Flame. Really cool imagery with the massive structure a ways away. The last fight, though really easy, was a fun straight-up brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom