• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of put off by all the tales of cheese but I finally got around to having a proper go at the Darkmoon Blade PVP and I have to say it was a blast. Only came up against one guy camping the spawn and using twop, everyone else fought fairly. One guy even messaged me saying thanks for the great fight! Maybe I just got lucky.

Zzoram

mrklaw said:
I have crappy intelligence, but an OK pyro (+10/11 I think). Should I plan to start pumping points into INT so I can use some of these cool catalysts I've found?

BTW does it take ages to level up in NG+ due to early game enemies giving few souls, or does that ramp up to compensate?

NG+ enemies give 4 to 5x more souls than their NG equivalents.

johntown said:
Just run past the clams on the left side.

Yeah that isn't an issue. The first time you go into the battle area there isn't a fog wall and a few of them are bound to get in making the first attempt a far greater pain in the ass than those that follow.

Although, apparently he's blind. Didn't have the bubble shoes ring to test with though. Another thing to do in NG

Zzoram

Has anyone done a pure melee build and beaten the game? I mean no miracles, no pyromancy, no sorcery.

If so what level, stats, gear?

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
Yeah that isn't an issue. The first time you go into the battle area there isn't a fog wall and a few of them are bound to get in making the first attempt a far greater pain in the ass than those that follow.

Although, apparently he's blind. Didn't have the bubble shoes ring to test with though. Another thing to do in NG
Yeah, I ended up dying because they get through too.

I tried the bubble shoes and it did not really seem to make any difference from when I was not wearing them. I ended up getting the tail in NG+ without the ring.

scosher

toasty_T said:

I had a lot of trouble until I read this strat:

Seath gets staggered for 4-5 seconds when you first destroy his crystal. So in order to be in position at his tail when he gets staggered, let him kill the crystal for you. Stand by the crystal, and as soon as you see Seath prime up his breath, sprint toward his middle tail. When he's staggered, get like 4-5 good two-handed swings in with a strong weapon and it should come off.

Eccocid

FUCCCK!

Got fire link thing from blight town forgot to lit the bonfire and died.
Now that npc is gone i can't lit bonfires and if i die at blight town boss i have to start back from firenlink shrine each time ;_;

oh and obligatory;

Mxda2.png

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finished
Lost Izalith
. I got summoned by a guy for the boss and then 5 seconds into the fight
the ground broke underneath him and he fell to his death.
Fastest summoning event ever lol.

johntown

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
As far as I know that patch is just supposed to fix the online issues that were introduced by the 1.04 patch.
Where is Duckroll with our translation? Oh yeah, I forgot we are in the Community section now. : p

EasyMode

Eccocid said:
FUCCCK!
Got fire link thing from blight town forgot to lit the bonfire and died.
Now that npc is gone i can't lit bonfires and if i die at blight town boss i have to start back from firenlink shrine each time ;_;
Just because that NPC is gone doesn't mean you can't light other bonfires, like the one at the bottom of Blighttown.

man, i have such high hopes that the multiplayer will be fixed. it just HAS to be fixed, it's so completely broken for me :( (while Demon's Souls always worked fine)

-no one EVER rates my messages.
-it can take an hour just to find someone to summon me, sometimes i waste 2 hours trying to get summoned in several different areas all over, with no luck.
-"Summoning failed."
-cracked eye orbs failing every single time

etc.

the broken online makes this one-of-a-kind marvellous game a depressing, frustrating experience :(

Soulhouf

Speevy said:
I used the bleed effect to beat stray demon.
You mean that once bleed inflicted, it does 50% of bosses total HP as well?
If it's the case, this is by far the most powerful weapon in the game...

Eccocid

astroturfing said:
man, i have such high hopes that the multiplayer will be fixed. it just HAS to be fixed, it's so completely broken for me :( (while Demon's Souls always worked fine)

-it can take an hour just to find someone to summon me, sometimes i waste 2 hours trying to get summoned in several different areas all over, with no luck.
-"Summoning failed."

etc.

the broken online makes this one-of-a-kind marvellous game a depressing, frustrating experience :(

I was getting summoned at like veery 10 minutes at bonfire in Depths. I was around sl 30-40. Probably killed gaping dragon 15 times lol.
Also traffic was kinda high at the entrance of blight town too when was around sl40s. Now i am 57 no one summons me and i still haven't finished Blighttown

Akuun

Soulhouf said:
It's currently my most powerful weapon stat-wise because when fully upgraded, it has over 400 atk at 40 dex.

But beware of swinging it too quickly. I got so caught up in the Four Kings fight that I killed myself with it. :p

Also, do certain enemies not bleed?

theta11

I always thought bosses were immune to Bleed effects.

Mariemeia@Gamefaqs said:
According to the patch notes:
-Difficulty to see summon signs / to be summoned will be fixed
-It will be more easier to invade other players (revision of invasion requirements)
-Revision of Elite Knight set parameters

Eccocid

Soulhouf said:

Which sword is that? This upgraded zweihander giving me trouble lately. Moves my character a lot and make me fall from edges all the time.

Soulhouf

Eccocid said:
Which sword is that? This upgraded zweihander giving me trouble lately. Moves my character a lot and make me fall from edges all the time.
Lifehunt Scythe.
It inflicts bleeding and attacking with it when the enemy is bleeding does 50% of total HP with each swing.

Eccocid said:
I was getting summoned at like veery 10 minutes at bonfire in Depths. I was around sl 30-40. Probably killed gaping dragon 15 times lol.
Also traffic was kinda high at the entrance of blight town too when was around sl40s. Now i am 57 no one summons me and i still haven't finished Blighttown

yeah, i'm lvl 38 so i'm definitely not too high level. and the Depths is pretty much the only place where i can summoned in less than an hour. but i'm tired of that place by now, so i try Catacombs, Darkroot, Sen's Fortress, New Londo Ruins... hopeless.

Eccocid

astroturfing said:
yeah, i'm lvl 38 so i'm definitely not too high level. and the Depths is pretty much the only place where i can summoned in less than an hour. but i'm tired of that place by now, so i try Catacombs, Darkroot, Sen's Fortress, New Londo Ruins... hopeless.

I think ppl just don't play in Human form. Since it doesn't give any HP advantage like in Demon's Souls. Even i used human form like few times and never bothered to get back to it.

johntown

Banned
Eccocid said:
I think ppl just don't play in Human form. Since it doesn't give any HP advantage like in Demon's Souls. Even i used human form like few times and never bothered to get back to it.
Once you get into the higher levels people do. I really did not start until NG+. Now I play the majority of the game in human form.

Akuun

Eccocid said:
Where is it! I NEED DAT!
Crafted from a +10 whip or halberd weapon and the boss soul from the
Painted World of Ariamis
. But the boss has nothing to do with you or the plot though, and she even gives you a chance to walk away without a fight. She only fights back if you hit her first. :(

I feel really bad about her.

.GqueB.

Banned
scosher said:
All starter sets beat out Gold-Hemmed once they're upgraded to about +8 or +9. Of the light armors, I think the two best are Wanderer's set and Tattered Cloth set, but it's worth swapping in some individual pieces here and there for standouts like the Antiquated Skirt (getting nerfed next patch, so Maiden Skirt will likely end up next best option), Dingy Robes, and any of the Masks/Crowns.

Medium armor, there's Elite Knight armor (but that's getting nerfed). Ornstein's armor is overrated imo because you can't upgrade it. In 1.04, for the exact same weight and poise, the Silver Knight Armor at +5 has superior stats (and is better for Lightning defense specifically for that fight). IMO, Silver Knight set or regular Knight set will be the best medium armor in 1.04.

Heavy armor, it's all about mixing and matching to get your weight under <50% as you're only getting these pieces for their poise. But basically boils down to Black Iron (low end on poise, but lowest weight), Giant/Smough's (only slightly more weight, but each piece has like 3-4 more poise than Black Iron), Stone, and lastly Havel's. Avoid Golem's armor as Giant/Smough's is superior at the same weight.
Serious? I traded up for the Hard Leather set a while ago. I did always prefer the "look" of the wanderers set though. I hate this armor thing. I never know what to put on. Im wearing the silver night armor with Hard leather boots right now. Im not as fast as Id like to be obviously.

Literally got within one hit of killing
the Four Kings
last night. :( Had full health, dodgerolled in to deliver the last blow and my timing must have been off because he hit me with a swing that took away half my health and knocked me to the floor. Then as I got up he hit me with a charge and killed me.

Turned the game off in sadness. Boo.

kurohana

The real problem with Lifehunt Scythe is that you can just upgrade the Great Scythe to basically be just as good without the negative, but the bleed does less damage.
In my opinion, it's better to not have to deal with the bleed stacking on yourself, since at times you'll have to switch out Lifehunt or use red moss.

Akuun

Oh, another thing I regret:

I ran into the Onion knight again at
Lost Izalith, but then he said he would distract the monsters so that I can get away. I know this situation in games (ahaha Deus Ex 1), so when he went in I went right in after him and fought the monsters with him. But then he dies anyway!! What will I tell his daughter!?

This game is so depressing. :(

scosher

Soulhouf said:
Lifehunt Scythe.
It inflicts bleeding and attacking with it when the enemy is bleeding does 50% of total HP with each swing.

You're misunderstanding bleed.

Attacks that deal bleeding just build up that bleed meter you see when you face skeletons or hollow bandits. Once that meter fills up, you lose 33% or 50% of your HP instantaneously. (based on their weapon...I think only Lifehunt Scythe has the 50% loss, but it's also slower than say the bandit's knife or painting guardian sword and doesn't build up the bleed meter as quickly). It's basically burst damage. I'm unsure whether it's 33% of your current HP or max HP. Probably the former, and it's mainly useful against high HP opponents or ones who are turtling behind a shield.

Stray demon is vulnerable to it, but I'm sure a lot of other bosses are just immune or highly resistant to bleed.

Leunam

Incendiary said:
Literally got within one hit of killing
the Four Kings
last night. :( Had full health, dodgerolled in to deliver the last blow and my timing must have been off because he hit me with a swing that took away half my health and knocked me to the floor. Then as I got up he hit me with a charge and killed me.

Turned the game off in sadness. Boo.

If you need to, because you're getting crowded or otherwise, move to a different target and take swings at him. They share a single bar so even if you start attacking one King that has full health you can still win the fight if the boss health bar is finished.

kurohana

Priscilla's Dagger also has the 50% bleed.

When I was using Lifehunt, I almost killed Centipede in three hits because he's so vulnerable to bleed as well.

scy

Akuun said:
Oh, another thing I regret:

I ran into the Onion knight again at
Lost Izalith, but then he said he would distract the monsters so that I can get away. I know this situation in games (ahaha Deus Ex 1), so when he went in I went right in after him and fought the monsters with him. But then he dies anyway!! What will I tell his daughter!?

This game is so depressing. :(

What bothers me is I've done this questline like ... 7 times. I still can't get the damned "Good" Ending to it.

Akuun

scy said:
What bothers me is I've done this questline like ... 7 times. I still can't get the damned "Good" Ending to it.
I wonder if I was supposed to
kill the monsters
before talking to him.

scy

Akuun said:
I wonder if I was supposed to
kill the monsters
before talking to him.

I always
kill three of them and weaken the last one so he can one-shot it
. The final reward is a Titanite Slab (+ a Ring, I think, on the Good End route) so it's worth trying to finish.

matmanx1

Lifehunt Scythe definitely does not proc for 50% of a bosses HP. It will still knock off a large chunk of the health bar with each proc but it took me 3 or 4 bleeds to put down both the stray demon and the demon firesage. There may be some special rules pertaining to the bleed proc as it pertains to boss level characters. I dig the weapon though. It's very cool.

Akuun

matmanx1 said:
Lifehunt Scythe definitely does not proc for 50% of a bosses HP. It will still knock off a large chunk of the health bar with each proc but it took me 3 or 4 bleeds to put down both the stray demon and the demon firesage. There may be some special rules pertaining to the bleed proc as it pertains to boss level characters. I dig the weapon though. It's very cool.
I've been wondering if it bleeds enemies that technically do not bleed though. Like Titanite Demons.

scy said:
I always
kill three of them and weaken the last one so he can one-shot it
. The final reward is a Titanite Slab (+ a Ring, I think, on the Good End route) so it's worth trying to finish.
I'll try it in NG+. I made so many mistakes in my first playthrough, though that's to be expected.

TommyT

Zzoram said:
Has anyone done a pure melee build and beaten the game? I mean no miracles, no pyromancy, no sorcery.

If so what level, stats, gear?

Yes. I created a new profile for my second playthrough and went Wanderer. I got just enough STR/Dex to use the Dragon Sword until I could make and upgrade Lightning Iaito. All other points went into VIT/END and I think I beat the game at level 59. With Dark Wood Grain Ring and (mostly) Havel's I just rocked whatever kept me under 50% weight. Often it was Ornstein's Helm/Chest/Gauntlets and I think the Antiquated Legs. Used upgraded Hallow's Shield.

edit: I will say that getting and using the Hornet Ring early on makes thins considerably easier. I was on my second playthrough (but first on this profile) and was well versed in the battle mechanics so whenever I used the ring I just sported whatever light armor. I wasn't really worried about taking damage.

edit2: Hardest part, if you're curious, was Four Kings. Not having high strength makes it harder to damage them faster. You can get over this with 2-handing though. S&O were no problem, especially with the Wood Grain Ring. Allows for easy evasion of the lightning slam from either one, and makes Ornstein a joke as the second one to be killed.

mattp

i bought heavy soul ray and a catalyst in the beginning of the game, but besides that i went pure melee

and the spell is pretty useless anyway since my int is 12. so yeah i did pure melee
so much more fun

i played through demon's souls shooting shit from a distance with spells, and i needed to make up for being a little bitch by going pure melee in dark souls.

i beat every boss besides o&s without any help from spirits, too.
so satisfying

i did a dex build. using iaito+15

.GqueB.

Banned
astroturfing said:

-"Summoning failed."

etc.

the broken online makes this one-of-a-kind marvelous game a depressing, frustrating experience :(
I really do wonder what affects these online issues. I rarely have problems getting summoned. Me and a friend of mine are pretty much playing the game through together because we're able to summon each other fairly easily (most of the time anyway). I also get summoned fairly frequently as well. It never takes two hours thats for sure. And this is all with a strict NAT type that Im too lazy to fix.

Have you tried just equipping the soap stone and spamming the square button? This apparently causes it to get placed in multiple worlds quickly and your sign (on the other end) doesnt disappear as fast as you would assume. This is how me and my friend usually summon each other.

As for the rating. I just think the system is too cumbersome. In order to rate a message you have to go through so many steps that I often dont even bother. There HAVE been a few that have saved my life though and I always stop and rate those. And I often stop and rate messages that point to illusionary walls as well. Otherwise I dont really bother.

TommyT

Giard said:
What's the best area to farm Titanite Chunks? Gotta get my Lightning Washing Pole to +5.

The last area you can get 2 per run up to the boss (obviously don't fight him)... Before that, farming Dark Wraiths. I have heard that you can farm the two Royal Knights infront of S&O as well... but I never did.

UFRA

theta11 said:
Looks like fix to multiplayer coop and changes to the Elite Knight armor set.

Which would be what?

I have been planning this as my primary armor now that I got it finally. They better not weaken it or something. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom