• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Giard said:
What's the best area to farm Titanite Chunks? Gotta get my Lightning Washing Pole to +5.

If you're at the end of the game, the Kiln nets you two per run guaranteed. If you're not ... you might want to get there as your only other option, really, is the Darkwraiths in New Londo. Though, that has the added benefit of maybe getting you a Slab. Not that I'd ever expect to get one.

Edit: Yeah, the two Royal Guards in Anor Lando drop them too but they're not all that common :/

UFRA said:
Which would be what?

I have been planning this as my primary armor now that I got it finally. They better not weaken it or something. :/

I think it got nerfed for 1.04 so I assume 1.05 is ... hopefully improving it a bit?

Sullichin

Giard said:
What's the best area to farm Titanite Chunks? Gotta get my Lightning Washing Pole to +5.

if you don't have the last area available and you don't want to fight the dakwraiths in new londo... the royal sentinels in Anor Londo (room before boss fight) drop them rarely. I've gotten two or three this way while waiting for summons.

UFRA

scy said:
If you're at the end of the game, the Kiln nets you two per run guaranteed. If you're not ... you might want to get there as your only other option, really, is the Darkwraiths in New Londo. Though, that has the added benefit of maybe getting you a Slab. Not that I'd ever expect to get one.

Edit: Yeah, the two Royal Guards in Anor Lando drop them too but they're not all that common :/

I think it got nerfed for 1.04 so I assume 1.05 is ... hopefully improving it a bit?

I already have my set to +4 and used some precious Large Titanite Shards on it. They better not ruin it for me. :(((

scosher

.GqueB. said:
Serious? I traded up for the Hard Leather set a while ago. I did always prefer the "look" of the wanderers set though. I hate this armor thing. I never know what to put on. Im wearing the silver night armor with Hard leather boots right now. Im not as fast as Id like to be obviously.

Yeah, Wanderer's set has one of the better weight to def ratios of the light armors. Example, Hard Leather Chest at +10 is 62 phys def, 48 mag def, 31 fire def, and 55 lightning def @ 5.9 wt. Wanderer's Coat at +10 is 55 phys def, 50 mag def, 62 fire def, and 55 lightning def @ 3.5 wt. Essentially, you're giving up 31 fire def for 7 phys def gain, but taking on almost 1.5x the weight. And since the whole point of wearing light armor is to get under <25%, Hard Leather isn't exactly the best option. Too heavy for 0 poise imo.

For comparison's sake, Tattered Cloth Robes (also awesome), has 50 phys def, 55 mag def, 73 fire def, 41 lightning, and 83 poison resist @ only 2.7 wt.

scy

UFRA said:
I already have my set to +4 and used some precious Large Titanite Shards on it. They better not ruin it for me. :(((

Large Titanite Shards are purchasable (4000 each) so those are eventually not a huge loss. I think the 1.03 -> 1.04 change was that the Defense got raised and the Poise got lowered. Really unsure of what the change is going to be like for it, though. I mean, Elite set wasn't that bad off in 1.04.

Xanathus

Kinda wondering if I should sell this game now. I've got platinum and have been ignoring this game for a bit. Invading has gotten stale and I don't really see any possible changes in the horizon which would make me want to pick the game up again. It just feels kinda wrong to get rid of this game...

.GqueB.

Banned
scosher said:
Yeah, Wanderer's set has one of the better weight to def ratios of the light armors. Example, Hard Leather Chest at +10 is 62 phys def, 48 mag def, 31 fire def, and 55 lightning def @ 5.9 wt. Wanderer's Coat at +10 is 55 phys def, 50 mag def, 62 fire def, and 55 lightning def @ 3.5 wt. Essentially, you're giving up 31 fire def for 7 phys def gain, but taking on almost 1.5x the weight. And since the whole point of wearing light armor is to get under <25%, Hard Leather isn't exactly the best option. Too heavy for 0 poise imo.

For comparison's sake, Tattered Cloth Robes (also awesome), has 50 phys def, 55 mag def, 73 fire def, 41 lightning, and 83 poison resist @ only 2.7 wt.
...Ima go get my wanderers set back. Thanks for the heads up. Do you find the lack of poise to be an issue? Whats the trade off? Im not too clear on poise really. I mightve sold the tattered cloth set to frampt though, lol.

scy

.GqueB. said:
...Ima go get my wanderers set back. Thanks for the heads up. Do you find the lack of poise to be an issue? Whats the trade off? Im not too clear on poise really.

Think of "hit stun" or staggering when you're hit as a status affliction like Poison, Toxic, etc. When you get hit, the bar fills up and you're afflicted when it's maxed out. The size of this bar is related to your Poise stat.

It takes around 55-ish Poise to shrug off a single hit from the majority of the medium PvP weapons (Claymore, Murakumo; the Greatsword class of weapons) and almost 80 to shrug off a hit from the Ultra Greatsword class of weapons. Anything below around 40 Poise doesn't really do too much.

Easy way to see what it's like is to go find something to hit you with no Poise and then toss on the Wolf's Ring and see what it's like. If you want the hit stun protection from the Wolf Ring test then you'll probably want more Poise. If you don't care, then just don't bother for PvE.

PvP wise, though ... I wouldn't suggest low Poise.

.GqueB.

Banned
scy said:
Think of "hit stun" or staggering when you're hit as a status affliction like Poison, Toxic, etc. When you get hit, the bar fills up and you're afflicted when it's maxed out. The size of this bar is related to your Poise stat.

It takes around 55-ish Poise to shrug off a single hit from the majority of the medium PvP weapons (Claymore, Murakumo; the Greatsword class of weapons) and almost 80 to shrug off a hit from the Ultra Greatsword class of weapons. Anything below around 40 Poise doesn't really do too much.
Ah ok. Makes sense.

scosher

.GqueB. said:
...Ima go get my wanderers set back. Thanks for the heads up. Do you find the lack of poise to be an issue? Whats the trade off? Im not too clear on poise really. I mightve sold the tattered cloth set to frampt though, lol.

Depends on playstyle and your weapons on whether you want poise or not. Although if you're using slow weapons, poise is pretty much a must so you don't get interrupted mid-swing. Quicker weapons can do without, but requires you to roll in and out a lot of combat (if you're facing an enemy with poise that is, since they're not getting staggered by your attacks). Also helps to get spells/miracles off, and backstabs in PvP, since you can circle-strafe them and not get staggered by their horizontal sweep.

Sullichin

.GqueB. said:
Ah ok. Makes sense.

in my experience I try to go for the highest poise with my combination of armor. it seems very important. it allows a bit more room for error and having a high poise has definitely saved my ass a bunch of times.

UFRA

scy said:
Large Titanite Shards are purchasable (4000 each) so those are eventually not a huge loss. I think the 1.03 -> 1.04 change was that the Defense got raised and the Poise got lowered. Really unsure of what the change is going to be like for it, though. I mean, Elite set wasn't that bad off in 1.04.

True, good point. I'll probably stick with it regardless unless they do something major like make it hurt your stamina recovery like some armors do. Although that wouldn't make sense since it's not a "heavy" armor like those that do cause stamina regen slowing.

Sullichin

UFRA said:
True, good point. I'll probably stick with it regardless unless they do something major like make it hurt your stamina recovery like some armors do. Although that wouldn't make sense since it's not a "heavy" armor like those that do cause stamina regen slowing.

You know, I cannot for the life of me find anywhere on any of the menus where it says that an armor hurts stamina recovery. I know havel's stuff hurts stamina regen, but It's not in the description or detail as far as I can tell. I have no idea if i just wear his gauntlets, if stamina regen will be affected. i know i seem much slower when I have his full gear on tho.

scosher

UFRA said:

Translated patch notes say they're "readjusting" Elite Knight's Armor. Considering they nerfed it in 1.04 (20 poise to 15 poise, making it worse than a lot of other medium armors), maybe they're bumping it back up to say 18. Or changing its weight to justify the low poise compared to Knight's armor or Silver Knight's armor.

Sullichin said:
You know, I cannot for the life of me find anywhere on any of the menus where it says that an armor hurts stamina recovery. I know havel's stuff hurts stamina regen, but It's not in the description or detail as far as I can tell. I have no idea if i just wear his gauntlets, if stamina regen will be affected. i know i seem much slower when I have his full gear on tho.

I would really like to see some real data on this... I want to know what the best armors are that don't affect stamina regen. I know that some do; wearing the whole Black Iron set, it was very noticeable. :(

Sullichin

CryingWolf said:
I would really like to see some real data on this... I want to know what the best armors are that don't affect stamina regen. I know that some do; wearing the whole Black Iron set, it was very noticeable. :(

Yeah sometimes its noticeable, but really if it weren't for the internet I wouldn't even know which one of the million variables that make up my character was currently being affected by this heavy armor. It really should be listed in a menu somewhere.

UFRA

Sullichin said:

The only way I ever knew about the stamina slowing is through the official guide. Other than that I too haven't seen it anywhere other than the obvious effects of some armors.

scosher said:
Translated patch notes say they're "readjusting" Elite Knight's Armor. Considering they nerfed it in 1.04 (20 poise to 15 poise, making it worse than a lot of other medium armors), maybe they're bumping it back up to say 18. Or changing its weight to justify the low poise compared to Knight's armor or Silver Knight's armor.

This would be nice! It's silly that they nerfed it because the poise was exactly the same as the standard Knight Armor (default Elite set, that is). Why would they want the Elite set to have worse poise than the standard? lol

So yeah, maybe you're right and they realized they goofed and are fixing it.

Sullichin

UFRA said:
The only way I ever knew about the stamina slowing is through the official guide. Other than that I too haven't seen it anywhere other than the obvious effects of some armors.

This would be nice! It's silly that they nerfed it because the poise was exactly the same as the standard Knight Armor (default Elite set, that is). Why would they want the Elite set to have worse poise than the standard? lol

So yeah, maybe you're right and they realized they goofed and are fixing it.

I'm not at home so I don't have the guide with me, but doesn't it group all the sets together? like.. I want to know if I just have havel's gauntlets equipped, does that have a minor stamina regen slowing on its own?

scosher

Check out this site: http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armors It's updated for 1.04 from the Japanese version.

I have the official guide as well, but all they do is put an asterisk next to an armor piece and label as either minor or major stam reduction.

If you go through the heavier armors, you can see the stam regen reduction. Interestingly, heavy chest pieces (ie. Black Iron chest, Havel's, etc.) are the only ones with "major" stam reduction according to that site, but the gauntlets and leggings are only reduced by -1. Which would suggest that upgrading your gauntlets/leggings to get more poise before upgrading your chestpiece is the way to go. Elite Knight's armor or Silver Knight's armor (no stam penalties) + the Black Iron/Giant's/Smough's leggings and gauntlets gets you to 55-61 poise, with only slight stamina penalties.

Also, for comparison's sake, Grass Crest Shield says it improves your stamina regen rate by +10, which basically covers any heavy armor regen penalties and then some. That or Cloranthy ring can more than make up for it, so it's probably nothing to really sweat over. Just use which pieces you like that get you under <50%.

scy

I just wish that all of the decent Chests for Poise weren't 10+ in base weight. Sheesh :/ Hefting around 15.0 in weapon load and a decent chest leaves only like 10 weight to stay under 50%. For three slots.

I already fear for my STR Faith build, which is starting to basically shape up as basically a Grant build of holy shit _24.0_ weight.

darkjedi187 said:
so still no patch for US. Is lvl 55 not high enough for the spiderlady? she's kicking my butt.

Honestly, your actual SL matters a lot less than what you spent the points on and your equipment. That said, she's doable at SL1 if you know the fight well enough; she has a tremendous dead zone when you're in front of her and slightly to the side. The only attack you fear here is when she bends over and caresses the spider; run like hell as that's the point blank explosion. Besides that, her dead zone has the whips whiff around you and the lava breaths should never hit you.

Thanks for that scosher.

darkjedi187 said:
so still no patch for US. Is lvl 55 not high enough for the spiderlady? she's kicking my butt.

55 is high enough for sure. Whats killing you? If its the big explosion she does you just need to watch for when she hugs the spider and back off. Everything else can be blocked.

Lanbeast

Anyone else go straight Strength and Endurance? I'm still on my first playthrough (just killed
Nito and The Scaleless dude
), but I have all of Havel's gear equipped and a Lightning Spear +5 and I feel unstoppable.

.GqueB.

Banned
Lanbeast said:
Anyone else go straight Strength and Endurance? I'm still on my first playthrough (just killed
Nito and The Scaleless dude
), but I have all of Havel's gear equipped and a Lightning Spear +5 and I feel unstoppable.
Im more of a speed guy. I wear light armor so I can ninja it up. I also troll in the forrest too which is great when youre fast. I'll invade someone and put on the ring of fog and just slice a few times when they arent paying attention then run away. Never actually kill them though. I do this sort of thing when Im bored but dont feel like going to bed.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Thanks for that scosher.

55 is high enough for sure. Whats killing you? If its the big explosion she does you just need to watch for when she hugs the spider and back off. Everything else can be blocked.

the explosion kills me and I don't seem to do much damage. my str is 35. my be i'm just not being patient enough.

tokkun

darkjedi187 said:

If you have humanity, turn human at the bonfire, then stand around in the area just to the right of the bonfire entrance. After a short while, you will be invaded by an NPC black phantom named Maneater Mildred. If you defeat her, you will be able to summon her just before the fog door to Queelag. She makes the battle much easier.

Lanbeast

.GqueB. said:
Im more of a speed guy. I wear light armor so I can ninja it up. I also troll in the forrest too which is great when youre fast. I'll invade someone and put on the ring of fog and just slice a few times when they arent paying attention then run away. Never actually kill them though. I do this sort of thing when Im bored but dont feel like going to bed.

Haha, that's pretty hilarious. I progressed through armors as I raised my endurance so that I would never get to the point that I couldn't roll regularly. So I still move pretty well, and the amount of damage I take when I do get hit with my shield down is only like 1/12 of my bar.

scosher said:
Check out this site: http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/armors It's updated for 1.04 from the Japanese version.

I have the official guide as well, but all they do is put an asterisk next to an armor piece and label as either minor or major stam reduction.

If you go through the heavier armors, you can see the stam regen reduction. Interestingly, heavy chest pieces (ie. Black Iron chest, Havel's, etc.) are the only ones with "major" stam reduction according to that site, but the gauntlets and leggings are only reduced by -1. Which would suggest that upgrading your gauntlets/leggings to get more poise before upgrading your chestpiece is the way to go. Elite Knight's armor or Silver Knight's armor (no stam penalties) + the Black Iron/Giant's/Smough's leggings and gauntlets gets you to 55-61 poise, with only slight stamina penalties.

Also, for comparison's sake, Grass Crest Shield says it improves your stamina regen rate by +10, which basically covers any heavy armor regen penalties and then some. That or Cloranthy ring can more than make up for it, so it's probably nothing to really sweat over. Just use which pieces you like that get you under <50%.

Thanks for that data. That confirms my experience too, because I tried wearing the whole Black Iron set with the Cloranthy Ring and I felt that my stamina was at least as good as normal.

And that's very interesting about most of the penalty coming from the chest! Very useful info.

scy

darkjedi187 said:
the explosion kills me and I don't seem to do much damage. my str is 35. my be i'm just not being patient enough.

What weapon are you using? 35 STR doesn't really mean much if you're using a weapon with low STR scaling or something.

darkjedi187 said:

You need to pay attention to what attacks she is preparing to do - recognize when she is going to do the explosion and run away from her. and/or - get items that increase your fire resist, so if you do get hit - it's not as much damage.

I was lvl 30 or so when I beat her, using a rather weak upgraded wing tipped spear and did it. You need to pay attention and know when to go in for a hit, and when to back away.

theta11

Wow interesting duel, I was in Kiln and got invaded person immediately whipped out Stone Greatsword and used TWoP then proceeded to use Crystal Ring Shield. I popped my Fog Ring and God's Wrath them to death. Then I get a message from the person telling me Fog Ring is cheap...

Wow.

johntown

Banned
.GqueB. said:
Lol I troll the forest looking for fog users and TWOP and Crystal Soulmass them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm screwed for upgrading weapons until NG+.

I gave the Large Ember to Blacksmith Andrei, but later I accidentally attacked him. I didn't know about the ability to absolve my sins and clear NPC aggro, so I ended up killing him. Now I have no ability to upgrade normal items past +5, I believe.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any other ways to upgrade normal weapons and armor past +5 if Andrei is dead?

johntown

Banned
theta11 said:
Wow interesting duel, I was in Kiln and got invaded person immediately whipped out Stone Greatsword and used TWoP then proceeded to use Crystal Ring Shield. I popped my Fog Ring and God's Wrath them to death. Then I get a message from the person telling me Fog Ring is cheap...

Wow.
No offense to you personally but I agree. I think the fog ring is very cheap and the fact that you used TWOP with it.

tokkun

theta11 said:

Wow.

You're OK there. Fog Ring is less cheap than TWoP. The guy must have been pretty incompetent to allow you to successfully change rings, though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
johntown said:
No offense to you personally but I agree. I think the fog ring is very cheap and the fact that you used TWOP with it.
He didn't use the greatsword or TWOP. The other guy used greatsword+TWOP+crystal ring shield.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
johntown said:

Does that make the player transparent and unforgettable? Some guy invaded me last night and I couldn't target him because he was transparent. I had no idea what to do so I just ended up dying.

It's funny to see how different people feel about that stuff. For me dealing with fog ring users is no problem at all, twop however is always a loss as soon as I get hit with it unless the caster does something dumb. I'm guessing fog ring mainly screws over magic users, twop melee.

scy

theta11 said:

Wow.

I had a Fog Ring user hit me with TWoP and downed a few Estus a few times during the fight so I went ahead and used a Humanity when he ran off to heal. After the fight, I was sent a "lol humanity" message.

Seriously?

tokkun

Zefah said:
Looks like I'm screwed for upgrading weapons until NG+.

I gave the Large Ember to Blacksmith Andrei, but later I accidentally attacked him. I didn't know about the ability to absolve my sins and clear NPC aggro, so I ended up killing him. Now I have no ability to upgrade normal items past +5, I believe.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any other ways to upgrade normal weapons and armor past +5 if Andrei is dead?

You're out of luck. However +5 should be enough for Fire, Chaos, Magic, Enchanted, Occult, and Raw paths if memory serves me correctly. You can't do Crystal, Lightning, or Normal.

scy

tokkun said:
You're out of luck. However +5 should be enough for Fire, Chaos, Magic, Enchanted, Occult, and Raw paths if memory serves me correctly. You can't do Crystal, Lightning, or Normal.

Can't do Divine, Raw or Occult either since Andrei is responsible for those as well. Also means no Boss Weapons.

charsace said:
What is the best sword for faith?

What are your stats? Claymore is a pretty standard Occult option for low STR, low DEX. Higher STR or higher DEX should probably go for a +15 build and use the Faith weapon Enchants instead, honestly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:

Yeah, I made a few Magic weapons and upgraded them last night, but they don't seem to be all that good.

What kind of crazy powerful weapons are people using? I see some people posting about single hits of 600+ damage, and wonder what they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom