• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

scy said:
Can't do Divine, Raw or Occult either since Andrei is responsible for those as well. Also means no Boss Weapons.

What are your stats? Claymore is a pretty standard Occult option for low STR, low DEX. Higher STR or higher DEX should probably go for a +15 build and use the Faith weapon Enchants instead, honestly.
My plan is to get 50 faith and up my strength so that I can carry good swords. What would be the best one handed sword for a faith build?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Air Zombie Meat said:
It's funny to see how different people feel about that stuff. For me dealing with fog ring users is no problem at all, twop however is always a loss as soon as I get hit with it unless the caster does something dumb. I'm guessing fog ring mainly screws over magic users, twop melee.
How do people deal with fog ring? I almost never PvP and have never fought a player with one, but in PvE the NPCs with fog ring are bad enough. I usually resort to using parry-riposte on them, but I hear that probably isn't viable in PvP.

Akuun said:
How do people deal with fog ring? I almost never PvP and have never fought a player with one, but in PvE the NPCs with fog ring are bad enough. I usually resort to using parry-riposte on them, but I hear that probably isn't viable in PvP.

Maybe it's all the time I've spent with Monster Hunter but I just don't have a problem with fighting without lockon. Just use the more horizontal attacks and aim them with the analogue stick. Blocking is a bit trickier if they're circling you but thats about it. Also I've found a lot of fog ring users act like they're invincible and try to run straight in for the backstab. Just a couple of well aimed whacks to stunlock them and they're done. I guess a lot of it is weapon dependent though, I can imagine a spear user having a tougher time.

Kweh

Can someone tell me how to get back to the Undead Asylum to get the Peculiar Doll? The walkthrough's I have read aren't too clear, they mention stepping off a lift and going under, which lift?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do all of the boss souls that can be used for weapon ascension carry over to NG+? If not, I'll just consume them for souls since Andrei is gone in my game.

scy

Akuun said:

Depends on your weapon. There's good reason why the Claymore is so common. The wide horizontal sweep on the R1 lets you cover a lot of ground when you're attacking so you just need to be facing their way to get a hit in. If your weapon of choice has a vertical R1 or the short-range diagonals, you may be in for a harder time landing hits.

charsace said:
My plan is to get 50 faith and up my strength so that I can carry good swords. What would be the best one handed sword for a faith build?

Claymore (16 STR) is the typical STR weapon used in one-hand; if you want faster than that, Barbed Straight Sword, Broadsword, etc. are all options as well. If you're going bigger, the Zweihander is probably the best of the Ultra Greatsword class weapons that can be taken down the Faith route.

Occult vs +15 w/ Darkmoon Blade is another choice to make. Comes down to would you rather have a more convenient weapon (Occult) or a stronger one that is tied to a buff duration (+15 w/Enchants).

Kweh said:
Can someone tell me how to get back to the Undead Asylum to get the Peculiar Doll? The walkthrough's I have read aren't too clear, they mention stepping off a lift and going under, which lift?

Take the lift at Firelink Shrine that leads to the Undead Parish; as soon as it starts moving, turn to face the way you came in and get ready to walk onto the roof there. Jump to the beam and just follow it all the way up to the crow's nest. Curl up into a ball (just hit X when you're there) and you'll be whisked away after a short wait.

Edit: There's a key on the roof of a building you can only reach from here. That's the key that unlocks the door that was locked back in the Asylum. Worth grabbing it before you go as the treasure there is nice to have for Blighttown.

tokkun

Zefah said:
Yeah, I made a few Magic weapons and upgraded them last night, but they don't seem to be all that good.

What kind of crazy powerful weapons are people using? I see some people posting about single hits of 600+ damage, and wonder what they are using.

Fire +10 weapons are about as powerful as Lightning weapons, most people just give lightning a slight edge because the popular armor and shields tend to have better fire resistance than lightning

Akuun said:

For sorcery users, Homing (Crystal) Soul Mass.
For miracle users, Force.
For melee users, use a weapon with a large, sweeping attack motion. Because blocking is based on the angle between shield and weapon, the fact that you are not locked on to them may actually make it more likely for your hits to connect past their shield. If you have a weapon with good stun lock (most fog ring users tend to wear light armor) this may be enough to kill them.

For all characters, don't let them get behind you. Roll out of the way when they try.

scosher

charsace said:

1) Scaling for weapons hits severe diminishing returns at 40 for any stat. If you plan on using weapon enchants (ie. Darkmoon Blade miracle) or like to use offensive miracles like Wrath of God, you can go all the way to 50 though.

2) There's no "best" sword, as I find that with either Magic/Enchanted or Divine/Occult weapons, since the scaling is readjusted to your primary stat, all weapons still compare at their base level. Or in other words, an Enchanted/Divine Falchion will still do less damage than an Enchanted/Divine Uchigatana, even though it has "better" Int/Faith scaling. Really, just choose which weapon you like in terms of movesets, speed, range, etc.

If you're going to up your Str some though, I'd recommend the Claymore at 16 Str req., and making it Divine.

edit - I should clarify that you can't use weapon enchants on magical/unique weapons. So if you are considering using Darkmoon Blade, you pretty much have to go a different build that ups your Str or Dex to 30-40 and use a Normal +15 weapon, then applying enchants on it. Won't work on Divine weapons.

Sullichin

Kweh said:

the lift in firelink that brings you to undead parish.
step on it, facing the shrine, roll out when you see a broken ledge. there's a platform going upwards that you can roll onto from a ledge. then follow the stairs up and around and go into the nest, and "curl up like a ball"

johntown

Banned
Akuun said:
If someone invades or I go into PVP and someone has the fog ring on then I will cast Strong Magic Shield, TWOP and then Homing Crystal Soulmass.

If they don't use the fog ring or TWOP then I will fight with my magic uchgatana+10 and try to get them to a closed in area and use crystal homing soulmass to finish them off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
johntown said:
If someone invades or I go into PVP and someone has the fog ring on then I will cast Strong Magic Shield, TWOP and then Homing Crystal Soulmass.

If they don't use the fog ring or TWOP then I will fight with my magic uchgatana+10 and try to get them to a closed in area and use crystal homing soulmass to finish them off.

What does TWOP mean?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
scy said:
Tranquil Walk of Peace. If you haven't seen it in use, it's the spell the Stone Knights in the Darkroot Garden use to slow you down.

Ah. The dude with the fog ring who invaded me last night used that on me. The feeling of cheapness was absurd, but I'll make sure I'm prepared for those two tactics for next time.

johntown

Banned
Zefah said:
Ah. The dude with the fog ring who invaded me last night used that on me. The feeling of cheapness was absurd, but I'll make sure I'm prepared for those two tactics for next time.
Strong Magic Shield is a great counter to TWOP and the fog ring.

UFRA

Sullichin said:
I'm not at home so I don't have the guide with me, but doesn't it group all the sets together? like.. I want to know if I just have havel's gauntlets equipped, does that have a minor stamina regen slowing on its own?

Just peeked at the guide on this. They put a * next to every piece of armor which the stamina recovery reduction applies to. In the case of Havel's Armor set, all 4 pieces of it have the * by it indicating "Major" reduction in stamina recovery.

So you can assume that by just wearing the gauntlets you will be experiencing some kind of slower stamina recovery rate.

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's funny to see how different people feel about that stuff. For me dealing with fog ring users is no problem at all, twop however is always a loss as soon as I get hit with it unless the caster does something dumb. I'm guessing fog ring mainly screws over magic users, twop melee.

Fog Ring only screws mages out of Soul Arrow/Spears. You can still Soulmass them, and it has the added bonus of tracking them even if you lose sight of them so you know where to strike if you have a melee weapon.

My brother's Moonlight Sword character doesn't have trouble with either TWOP or Fog Ring because if necessary you can still fight them more or less the same (Soulmass and 1H swings for Fog Ring, Soulmass and Soul Spears for TWOP and Strong Magic Shield if he really feels like making an invader's life hard), but both are still cheap as hell.

Sullichin

UFRA said:
Just peeked at the guide on this. They put a * next to every piece of armor which the stamina recovery reduction applies to. In the case of Havel's Armor set, all 4 pieces of it have the * by it indicating "Major" reduction in stamina recovery.

So you can assume that by just wearing the gauntlets you will be experiencing some kind of slower stamina recovery rate.

ah. thanks.

Zefah said:
Yeah, I made a few Magic weapons and upgraded them last night, but they don't seem to be all that good.

What kind of crazy powerful weapons are people using? I see some people posting about single hits of 600+ damage, and wonder what they are using.

i have a magic halberd +10 with 99 intelligence. it does awesome damage. However a heavy lightning weapon +5 can do more....well see after the patch.

When im using the Magic Halberd, my crystal ring shield does around 1200 - 1300 damage..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Phat Michael said:
i have a magic halberd +10 with 99 intelligence. it does awesome damage. However a heavy lightning weapon +5 can do more....well see after the patch.

When im using the Magic Halberd, my crystal ring shield does around 1200 - 1300 damage..

Thanks. I have 50 Intelligence, and the Magic +5 weapons I made (Great Axe, Gargoyle Tail Axe, Halberd, Estoc) don't do much damage.

Also, would you mind explaining how the Crystal Ring Shield damage is calculated?

scy

Zefah said:
Thanks. I have 50 Intelligence, and the Magic +5 weapons I made (Great Axe, Gargoyle Tail Axe, Halberd, Estoc) don't do much damage.

Also, would you mind explaining how the Crystal Ring Shield damage is calculated?

It uses your main-hand Attack Rating to determine the damage; it essentially will double that value and run it through the damage formula.

Also, Enchanted scales better with INT than Magic.

Sullichin

HeresSomeWeapons said:
1.05? I'm still waiting for 1.04!
i know.. but i hear some mumblings in this thread about 1.05, further changes to elite knight armor, etc, and i don't know where it originated from.

scosher

HeresSomeWeapons said:
1.05? I'm still waiting for 1.04!

Supposedly 1.04 messed up the online matchmaking in Japan, so they're rushing out a "fix," and throwing some other tweaks in. We might skip 1.04 altogether in NA.

scy

Augemitbutter said:
keep in mind the online problems might be the reason why we never got the latest patch.

I really hope that is the case and it's not just ... them being really, really slow.

Speevy

Banned
When someone uses tranquil walk of peace on you, catch them with a large, staggering weapon.

Repeat until they're dead.

I've lost for many reasons, but slowing down isn't a problem for me.

Speevy said:
When someone uses tranquil walk of peace on you, catch them with a large, staggering weapon.

Repeat until they're dead.

I've lost for many reasons, but slowing down isn't a problem for me.

Not possible if they stay out of range and hit you with undodgeable fireballs\sorcery.

Minamu

What happened to those user created shields that were supposed to be in the game? The Bloodshield is apparently one of them. Did they realize they were copyright protected or something?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..Painted World..so good.. Sen's is still the top in terms of level design but I can't believe how much they fit into this tiny space with the Painted World.

deim0s

Air Zombie Meat said:
Not possible if they stay out of range and hit you with undodgeable fireballs\sorcery.

Most of the time, they kinda do "wtf?1? TWOP is not working on him/her!" turning their backs on you if you go aggro up close.

Sanctus is a regen shield? Might try it when the patch hits.

How many did actually get chosen on the shield design comp?

deim0s said:
Most of the time, they kinda do "wtf?1? TWOP is not working on him/her!" turning their backs on you if you go aggro up close.

Sanctus is a regen shield? Might try it when the patch hits.

How many did actually get chosen on the shield design comp?

I wish people that used twop on me would come within melee range. They just back away flinging undodgeable magic in my face while I creep towards them.

Yeah, it has regen but I think you need to meet the faith requirements for it to work.

Minamu

How far into the path of the dragon do I need to go if I want to get the platinum? Don't tell me I need all those 30 scales for lvl 2 so I get the dragon torso? :(

Edit: Seems like I don't :D Just join up and you're done? Great! One less thing to worry about!

Speevy

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:

No one ever tries this on me because I have a shield that blocks all of it.

They always try to backstab, and they always fail.

Danielsan

I think I might be out. Lost Izalith is without a doubt the worst and dumbest shit in the game. Whoever thought these shitty enemies in a sea of lava would be a great design choice deserves to be hit in the face with a mace.

Speevy

Banned
Danielsan said:
I think I might be out. Lost Izalith is without a doubt the worst and dumbest shit in the game. Whoever thought these shitty enemies in a sea of lava would be a great design choice deserves to be hit in the face with a mace.

All you have to do is run around them and stay alive long enough for them to kill each other. They won't respawn.

There's a checkpoint in a giant building in the middle, but you have to swing a weapon at it to reveal the entrance.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RadicalRad said:
Do the archives get easier? Those first two rooms are intense.
Personally, I found the first two rooms to be, by far, the hardest section.

roxya

Where's the best place to put my summon sign down for Iron Golem? In the room before the boss? Not getting any bites D:

Danielsan

Speevy said:
All you have to do is run around them and stay alive long enough for them to kill each other. They won't respawn.

There's a checkpoint in a giant building in the middle, but you have to swing a weapon at it to reveal the entrance.
I noticed that they don't respawn, but it's still a totally shit area. It would have been fine if I could actually see my god damn blood stain, but I just lost 20.000 souls because I couldn't find the bloody thing due to the eye blinding orange goop everywhere.

TommyT

Nose Master said:
He doesn't seem to give anything for the normal weapons/armor, though?

I don't know what you're meaning by 'normal' here exactly... but whenever you're giving him items there will be an amount of souls he'll give in return. If there is no value there then you get nothing.

JVIDICAN

the enemies in dukes seriously have the most annoying sounds in the game.
"Duherehuuuuuhhuuuhh deduhdeeeeeh!!!! du uh uh uh uh" and of course "whoareyou whoareyou whoareyou". :|

Zzoram

Zefah said:
Do all of the boss souls that can be used for weapon ascension carry over to NG+? If not, I'll just consume them for souls since Andrei is gone in my game.
Boss souls carry over to NG+.

Zzoram

Danielsan said:
Have you tried Fog Ring? Maybe you can just run past them without being noticed.

Fog ring or hidden body spell makes it so the Anor Londo archer knight duo don't shoot you until you're in their face, at which point you've already won.

The fog ring isn't meant for just PvP.

Booshka

haha, got to Rank 3 in Darkwraiths and the Dark Hand R2 nets 10 Humanity every time you pull it off. Stole 20 Humanity from this guy that was AFK, then 10 on a guy that wasn't paying attention. Then I beat them and got their souls and another Humanity. They are probably pissed they lost that much Humanity lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom