• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsswimmer

I invaded lautrec and got the fire keeper soul back from him, but (stupidly) upgraded the flask in Anor Londo. Is my firelink shrine fire permanently dead?

matmanx1

My only complaint about the Lava fiield in Lost Izalith is the eye scorching orange color of the lava itself. Tone that part down and it certainly would be less of a chore. It certainly has that dangerous ruins thing going for it even if I don't quite understand why only the back half of so many dragons are in occupation. What happened to all the front halves?

Zzoram

Microsoft charges publishers if they do more than 2 or 3 title updates. NB probably just wants to wait for 1.05 to patch US/EU since that'll use up their 2nd patch. US/EU skipped right to 1.03 for the first patch, meanwhile Japan got a 1.01 and 1.02 along the way.

Akuun said:
How do people deal with fog ring? I almost never PvP and have never fought a player with one, but in PvE the NPCs with fog ring are bad enough. I usually resort to using parry-riposte on them, but I hear that probably isn't viable in PvP.

I've been using a strength build w/ enough faith for vow of silence to great success online, and since I found the black knight great axe I dropped my zwei and never looked back. The one handed range and swing arc on it is absolutely rediculous, add in its amazing damage, great swing speed and low stamina use per swing and you have one of the best melee weapons in the game. Its only real drawback is that it has a weight of 16.0 and opponents who are brave enough can parry and riposte, but when they see how much damage a single hit does they usually tend to keep their shields up.

tokkun

FinalxBoss said:
I've been using a strength build w/ enough faith for vow of silence to great success online, and since I found the black knight great axe I dropped my zwei and never looked back. The one handed range and swing arc on it is absolutely rediculous, add in its amazing damage, great swing speed and low stamina use per swing and you have one of the best melee weapons in the game. Its only real drawback is that it has a weight of 16.0 and opponents who are brave enough can parry and riposte, but when they see how much damage a single hit does they usually tend to keep their shields up.

I haven't done any testing with this, but playing online it seems like I don't get as much stunlock with the BK gaxe compared to some other large weapons.

Zzoram said:
Has anyone done a pure melee build and beaten the game? I mean no miracles, no pyromancy, no sorcery.

If so what level, stats, gear?
I've got a pure melee build and I've made it to G
wyn
(haven't beat him yet) while soloing most of the bosses along the way. Granted, I did grind out a few levels. It's probably a horribly unoptimized build, but I went into this game blind without playing Demon's Souls and with no guide. This is what I have at the moment:

Level 96
Vitality 32
Attunement 10
Endurance 32
Strength 36
Dexterity 30
Resistance 14
Intelligence 10
Faith 14

Main weapons:
Lightning Iaito +5
Lightning Spear +4
Quelaag's Furysword +5
Claymore +10
Longbow +10

Shield:
Greatshield of Artorias

Armor:
varies

I technically have one spell slot but I almost never use it. I never levelled my pyromancy flame and now both of the NPCs that could have levelled it are dead.

Edit: If there are any no-brainer improvements I should make to this dude, I'm all ears.

Audioboxer

What armor set should I pump my twinkling titanite into for a sorcerer/magic char? Has to be a light set.

Preparing for 1.04/1.05 now that hemmed is nerfed. I'm thinking Witch Set or Painted Guardian Set?

tokkun said:
I haven't done any testing with this, but playing online it seems like I don't get as much stunlock with the BK gaxe compared to some other large weapons.

That's true, you're not going to be stun locking till death but the swing speed is so good you'll be beating every other large weapon to punch. Not to metion foggers can't really run past you due to the 180° swing range. Vow of silence also makes TWOP not that big of an issuse b/c your anti-magic field has the same amount of range and duration. So if they want to slow your movements then they have to defeat you with melee, and most mages just don't have the physical damage to beat a strength build head on.

TommyT

Parallax Scroll said:
Is fall damage or lava damage affected by your stats?
I do not believe so. That's why in speed runs (and well for other reasons too) they pump VIT. This way they can make falls and survive. Lava just seems to take 'X' amount off per tick and is only affected by the Charred Ring.

2AdEPT

toasty_T said:
lol this doesn't make sense.

I went to her spot in NG+ to get a copy of great combustion when I had a fully upgraded glove in hand and she was a no show.

Now I went back to her spot over and over make small changes to get something definitive worked out and it looks it's just random from what I'm reading.

From, you bastards.

Yeah we just went through a few pages of this topic a few pages back.....the best we could come up with was that there were obviously more than one criteria so for example......you need ot get +10 only if Laurentius is already dead etc. Laurentius may be the critical misssing codex! ;P

TommyT said:
I do not believe so. That's why in speed runs (and well for other reasons too) they pump VIT. This way they can make falls and survive. Lava just seems to take 'X' amount off per tick and is only affected by the Charred Ring.
Good to know, thanks.

Zzoram said:
Fall damage is a % of your total health I think.

The drop from Gwyevere to the O&S room took off more and more health the longer my health bar got.

There is a maximum distance you are allowed to drop before you die, and that never changes.
Thank you as well.

Another thing I've been wondering: Holy and unholy weapons have a stat next to the bleed and poison stats. Like, Astora's Straight Sword has 120 in that stat. What does that stat do? Am I filling up a "holy meter" as I attack the enemy, similar to the "blood meter" and "poison meter?" Or is that stat used for something else?

Zzoram

Fall damage is a % of your total health I think.

The drop from Gwyevere to the O&S room took off more and more health the longer my health bar got.

There is a maximum distance you are allowed to drop before you die, and that never changes.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
Has anyone done a pure melee build and beaten the game? I mean no miracles, no pyromancy, no sorcery.

If so what level, stats, gear?

The only spell my first character had was Cast Light because I didn't want to deal with the Tomb of Giants darkness.

My stats currently are:
SL 92 (In New Game+, just beat S&O).

Vit 30
Att 12
Endurance 40
Str 16
Dex 38
Res 10
Int 16
Faith 11

Current equipment:
Mask of the Child
Silver Knight Armor +5
Silver Knight Gauntlets +2
Gold Hemmed Black Skirt

Weapons
(Dual wield/primary use)
Bandit's Knife +15 (to use with resin)
Lightning Parrying Dagger +5

Rings
Dark Wood Grain Ring
Hornet Ring

As for shields, I usually don't use them... But in case I need to break one out, it's usually the Silver Knight Shield.

This build has served me well so far... But it's nothing special. Don't quite know where I'm going in direction for equipment from this point, but my Dex is going to go up to at least 45 and Vit 40. From there, I'm still working on it.

Got the str to 16 to use the Lifehunt Scythe on occasions. Don't use it much since I love my bandit's knife so much.

RyanDG said:
The only spell my first character had was Cast Light because I didn't want to deal with the Tomb of Giants darkness.

My stats currently are:
So you're 4 levels below me and practically lapped me in the game? Damn I'm a noob.

Zzoram

RyanDG said:

My stats currently are:

Vit 30
Att 12
Endurance 40
Str 16
Dex 38
Res 10
Int 16
Faith 11

Current equipment:
Mask of the Child
Silver Knight Armor +5
Silver Knight Gauntlets +2
Gold Hemmed Black Skirt

Weapons
(Dual wield/primary use)
Bandit's Knife +15 (to use with resin)
Lightning Parrying Dagger +5

Rings
Dark Wood Grain Ring
Hornet Ring

As for shields, I usually don't use them... But in case I need to break one out, it's usually the Silver Knight Shield.

This build has served me well so far... But it's nothing special. Don't quite know where I'm going in direction for equipment from this point, but my Dex is going to go up to at least 45 and Vit 40. From there, I'm still working on it.

Got the str to 16 to use the Lifehunt Scythe on occasions. Don't use it much since I love my bandit's knife so much.

So you beat the game and are powering through NG+ with basically just a Bandit's Knife +15 and the Lightning Parrying Dagger +5? Does the Lightning +5 even do anything for the Parrying Dagger since you don't use it to attack? Or DO you use it to attack?

Mostly no shield? Even for bosses? Wow.

2AdEPT

toasty_T said:
Yeah that isn't an issue. The first time you go into the battle area there isn't a fog wall and a few of them are bound to get in making the first attempt a far greater pain in the ass than those that follow.

Although, apparently he's blind. Didn't have the bubble shoes ring to test with though. Another thing to do in NG

You want to have him sense you or he won't travel into the middle of the room. I did watch a youtube of some guy that got LUCKY and cut off the tail right away after killingthe crystal, but I tried a 100 times to emulate that video solo and the tail was never around as long as it was for him.

I realized that having one player on one end and another player at the other would work, and that was how I FINALLY got it......but spent a whole day hiring noob after noob htat just didn't get it......they all ran in kanikaze style and fought valiantly... iWas prepared to boot them out if they didn't listen to me via messaging that I wanted the tail....they eventually listened, but still one of us died while trying for the tail when it was obvious that we could both spam the bastard to kill him. THe player that finally did it for me was willing to STAY PUT on the one side and only go in for a shot when the coast was clear and the tail was exposed properly...took a while but we finally did it.

TommyT

Zzoram said:
So you beat the game and are powering through NG+ with basically just a Bandit's Knife +15 and the Lightning Parrying Dagger +5? Does the Lightning +5 even do anything for the Parrying Dagger since you don't use it to attack? Or DO you use it to attack?

Once you learn the patterns/movesets, safe zones, 'tricks', etc. to a mob or boss you don't really need a shield. There isn't that much that just HAS to be blocked.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:

The parrying dagger's attack is extremely quick, so I do attack with it occasionally. The lightning is to just boost that slightly and to help to possibly give me an opening to give me a couple of quick slashes with the bandit's knife.

On bosses, there's 3 bosses in the first play through that I switched to shields on, simply because I couldn't get the timing down on them. The Dark wood grain ring gives you a quick evasion, and before I got it, I just kept my equipment burden under 25% so I could do the quick roll (with Havel's ring).

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
The parrying dagger's attack is extremely quick, so I do attack with it occasionally. The lightning is to just boost that slightly and to help to possibly give me an opening to give me a couple of quick slashes with the bandit's knife.

On bosses, there's 3 bosses in the first play through that I switched to shields on, simply because I couldn't get the timing down on them. The Dark wood grain ring gives you a quick evasion, and before I got it, I just kept my equipment burden under 25% so I could do the quick roll (with Havel's ring).

Which bosses were those?

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
Which bosses were those?

Ornstein/Smough
Centipede Demon
Dark Sun Gwendolyn

They fucked me up every time I tried to do it without a shield.

Now on a few bosses, I would switch to shields if things got too hectic until they calmed down again (for example, switching to the Dragoncrest Shield momentarily on Quelaag if I was running out of maneuvering room until I got space again and 4 Kings to get into position before unleashing on them).

Edit - I forgot a boss I used a shield on - so make that 4... I used a shield on Priscilla too.

2AdEPT

astroturfing said:
man, i have such high hopes that the multiplayer will be fixed. it just HAS to be fixed, it's so completely broken for me :( (while Demon's Souls always worked fine)

-no one EVER rates my messages.
-it can take an hour just to find someone to summon me, sometimes i waste 2 hours trying to get summoned in several different areas all over, with no luck.
-"Summoning failed."
-cracked eye orbs failing every single time

etc.

the broken online makes this one-of-a-kind marvellous game a depressing, frustrating experience :(
That sucks astro, I remember you as one of the original demon's souls posters back when I wasn't even a member and was waiting my 1.5 years to get posting privileges, and you were very knowledgeable, so you may know all the tricks for Dark, but in case not see below. ANyway, I find the pVP to be better than Demon's, with the exception of fighting chesse like fog ring, twop, and glitch maxed characters; but the frequency is more, much more.

There may be a problem with your system, because for me, I always had trouble on demon's at certain times...just wasn't anyone awake late at night, or during "school" hours in NA. right now, while we are world wide access, we have similar problems as the patch for Japan has eliminated them. BUt I actually found there was much more ability to find "hot spots" here in Dark than in Demon's. Make sure to belong to a covenant etc. that increases PVP like Darkwraith, FOrest, or Darkmoon. There is never a shortage of PVP in front of boss doors, (or at the last bonfire before bosses) AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SL FOR THAT PARTICULAR BOSS. Here is my best guess for recommended SL's:

Taurus (never tried PVP too easy on own) - 0-20
Gargoyles - 10-25..maybe 30 but that's pushin it
Queelag/Capra/Gaping Dragon - 25-40
SIF, Golem - 35-50
Priscilla, Ornstein and Smough - 45-70 (O&S the highest liklihood of co-oop for any boss so the stat is raised a little higher on the high end)
Pinwheel, Nito, Kings, Seath, ceaseless discharge (not really a coop boss) - 50-80
the rest, 80+

remember, this is for co-ooping with noobs just goign through the story without covenants...the covenants will drastically increase your chance for PVP as the SL restrictions disappear for certain covenant tasks........ if you combine all the ingredients like time of day, weekend vs weekday, hotspot and covenant task....you can get at least a few hours of constant PVP with very little down time, if any.

Zzoram

RyanDG said:
Ornstein/Smough
Centipede Demon
Dark Sun Gwendolyn

They fucked me up every time I tried to do it without a shield.

Now on a few bosses, I would switch to shields if things got too hectic until they calmed down again (for example, switching to the Dragoncrest Shield momentarily on Quelaag if I was running out of maneuvering room until I got space again and 4 Kings to get into position before unleashing on them).

Edit - I forgot a boss I used a shield on - so make that 4... I used a shield on Priscilla too.

I saw a video of Gwendolyn so I know how to do it without a shield now. You can stand behind those things along the walls to block most attacks. Only the one powerful single shot magic blast can't be blocked by it, but you can roll-dodge it. You rush him to attack him when he starts the animation for teleporting.

TommyT

Zzoram said:
I saw a video of Gwendolyn so I know how to do it without a shield now. You can stand behind those things along the walls to block most attacks. Only the one powerful single shot magic blast can't be blocked by it, but you can roll-dodge it. You rush him to attack him when he starts the animation for teleporting.

Careful when you rush, he shoots a rapid succession of arrows as well. Rush at a pretty steep angle.

Insaniac

I posted this a while back but lost track of it, so I'm gonna ask again:

whats the best Dex scaling weapon that can go to +15 and can be magic weapon enchanted?

TommyT

Insaniac said:

whats the best Dex scaling weapon that can go to +15 and can be magic weapon enchanted?

Painted Guardians Blade (need theorycrafting support here... paging Scy!). It has A scaling with DEX and I don't see why it can't be enchanted.

Insaniac

TommyT said:
Painted Guardians Blade (need theorycrafting support here... paging Scy!). It has A scaling with DEX and I don't see why it can't be enchanted.

Ah yes forgot about that, i've been using Claws (cause I like the rolling lunge after a dodge) but it only has a B scaling.

Does scaling for weapons get buffed post patch, also?

Zzoram

Insaniac said:

Any weapon that gets upgraded to +15 can be magic weapon enchanted because all the +15 weapons do not have any magical effects on them and are not boss weapons.

Zzoram

Insaniac said:
Ah yes forgot about that, i've been using Claws (cause I like the rolling lunge after a dodge) but it only has a B scaling.

Yup weapon scaling is getting buffed across the board by around 10% I think.

TommyT

Insaniac said:

I think there's an A scaling claw. I haven't ever used them though soooo check the wiki?

Insaniac

TommyT said:
I think there's an A scaling claw. I haven't ever used them though soooo check the wiki?

well according to the wiki there is the Caestus which has C str/dex scaling, the claws which are B and the dragonbone fist which is A str scaling and a boss weapon so it doesn't really matter anyway. I was hoping in a long shot the patch might buff the claw scaling to A because its a badass looking weapon but underpowered compared to most of the other dex weapons IMO, ie through a lack of moveset and range

scy

TommyT said:

Numbers numbers numbers.

My DEX build aimed for 19 STR, 40 DEX which lets me two-hand the Murakumo which is pretty much the best option in my opinion. Great Scythe is another option (Scythe actually does better than it but lacks the Bleed property) as well. The Painting Guardian Sword isn't bad but the Uchigatana and Iaito edge it out ever so slightly so that'll come down to moveset preference.

If you go for less than 19 STR, it should still be Great Scythe (~470s) >>> Uchigatana (~410) > Iaito (~400) > Painting Guardian Sword (~390). The two Gargoyle weapons are also decent mentions (as are basically all the Polearms, now that I think about it) if you like their movesets as they hover around the 430-470 range.

As far as Enchanting is concerned, anything that is upgraded with Titanite should be able to be enchanted. Not sure which, if any, of the special upgrades can be.

I'm working on farming Chunks so I can get any of these (sans the Great Scythe as I don't have a spare on this character) to +14 to check what a 40 Faith Canvas Talisman Darkmoon Blade gets you.

Also, I believe the Claw is only a ~330 weapon at 19 STR/40 DEX come 1.04, up nearly 60 points from the 1.03 version (~275 in the same stats).

Edit: Just saw you said Magic Weapon enchanted, I can see what a 50 INT Tin Crystallization Catalyst gets you on some but it'd take longer as I'd need to rush to the Kiln for farming purposes, lol.

Zzoram

scy said:
Numbers numbers numbers.

My DEX build aimed for 19 STR, 40 DEX which lets me two-hand the Murakumo which is pretty much the best option in my opinion. Great Scythe is another option (Scythe actually does better than it but lacks the Bleed property) as well. The Painting Guardian Sword isn't bad but the Uchigatana and Iaito edge it out ever so slightly so that'll come down to moveset preference.

If you go for less than 19 STR, it should still be Great Scythe (~470s) >>> Uchigatana (~410) > Iaito (~400) > Painting Guardian Sword (~390). The two Gargoyle weapons are also decent mentions (as are basically all the Polearms, now that I think about it) if you like their movesets as they hover around the 430-470 range.

As far as Enchanting is concerned, anything that is upgraded with Titanite should be able to be enchanted. Not sure which, if any, of the special upgrades can be.

I'm working on farming Chunks so I can get any of these (sans the Great Scythe as I don't have a spare on this character) to +14 to check what a 40 Faith Canvas Talisman Darkmoon Blade gets you.

Also, I believe the Claw is only a ~330 weapon at 19 STR/40 DEX come 1.04, up nearly 60 points from the 1.03 version (~275 in the same stats).

How do their swing speeds compare?

scy

Zzoram said:
How do their swing speeds compare?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you besides PGS is the fastest, GS is the clear slowest. The GS does have the advantage of that ridiculous range on the R2, however, and the two Katanas have a better melee range than the PGS. I'll do some testing I guess when I get to playing tonight.

Zzoram

scy said:
Honestly, I couldn't tell you besides PGS is the fastest, GS is the clear slowest. The GS does have the advantage of that ridiculous range on the R2, however, and the two Katanas have a better melee range than the PGS. I'll do some testing I guess when I get to playing tonight.

If PGS is fastest, it might end up being higher DPS than the other weapons even if it has shorter range.

Doesn't PGS also have some fancy move set too?

matmanx1

Anyone know if the Eagle shield got an adjustment for 1.04? After the medium shield stability nerf it's the next lowest in weight that could still be upgraded to mid 80's stability in 1.03. After the Eagle Shield the next lowest weight Greatshield is the Tower Shield and it weighs 13! That's a big jump in weight over the 3.5 Hollow Shield and the 6.0 Eagle Shield and it's going to hurt to have to wield one of those just to get decent a decent stability rating in 1.04.

And on the subject of shields, Sanctus is pretty awesome for certain situations. 2 health regen per second means you can strap it on your arm or back in the poison swamp or lava field and help to counteract that environmental damage in a big way. Of course it's also great to have that steady regen if you've taken some damage and don't want to use a flask. Sanctus is under appreciated considering it's usefulness.

theta11

matmanx1 said:
Anyone know if the Eagle shield got an adjustment for 1.04? After the medium shield stability nerf it's the next lowest in weight that could still be upgraded to mid 80's stability in 1.03. After the Eagle Shield the next lowest weight Greatshield is the Tower Shield and it weighs 13! That's a big jump in weight over the 3.5 Hollow Shield and the 6.0 Eagle Shield and it's going to hurt to have to wield one of those just to get decent a decent stability rating in 1.04.

And on the subject of shields, Sanctus is pretty awesome for certain situations. 2 health regen per second means you can strap it on your arm or back in the poison swamp or lava field and help to counteract that environmental damage in a big way. Of course it's also great to have that steady regen if you've taken some damage and don't want to use a flask. Sanctus is under appreciated considering it's usefulness.

The Eagle Shield isn't a medium shield so it didn't get the same nerfs as most of the medium shields, I'm sure it should still be in the 80 range post patch

bigjimmystyle said:
Does Quelaags Fury Sword scale with DEX or STR? And how much DEX do I need to speed up Pyro casting?

Physical damage scales with Dex and supposedly casting speed increase is capped at 45 Dex.

IrishNinja

1) UGH stoopid smough on NG+. ive got the steel ring & wood grain/flip ring on, fire scimtar +5, elite knight set on and a heavy crossbow +10 with lots of heavy bolts. i get to him with solaire still kinda wobbly, im trying to handle him with the crossbow and it does so little damage vs his massive HP that eventually, he catches me once with his goddamn sweeping hammer move, takes half my life, then does it again before i can dodge (usually when i got too close to a wall or something).
he's supposed to be the easier of the two; any advice? pyro flame didnt seem to do a whole hell of a lot more either. im thinking about playing it closer but again, if im caught with that hammer sweep and then anything else before i can heal, it's over.

2) where are the sunlight medals in Andor Londo? i got em last time, seem to be missing them this time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Bleh, just lost 140k souls from stupid deaths in the Painted World. Got Pris' dagger though pretty easily.

Was able to summon someone too..wonder if the new patch isn't affecting summons from people without patches (I don't think it was a J-player).

scy

Zzoram said:
If PGS is fastest, it might end up being higher DPS than the other weapons even if it has shorter range.

Doesn't PGS also have some fancy move set too?

On that note, I really should have looked into this prior to making my DEX Faith character; the buffs add a static (or at least, marginally affected by weapon speed) damage per swing. Makes the weapon buff route far better suited for smaller, faster weapons. At 40 Faith, Darkmoon Blade is adding 160-170 damage a swing (a little over 300-ish AR) on what I'm doing damage tests against on basically everything from a Bandit's Knife up to my Murakumo.

Nothing scientific, really; just weapon swapping every run and noting the damages. I'll pay a bit more attention now that I've noticed it.

IrishNinja said:
2) where are the sunlight medals in Andor Londo? i got em last time, seem to be missing them this time.

Near the bonfire after the Archers; it's in the room directly across from it with the Spear-wielding Silver Knight.

Where is Leeroy's armour?

Just killed Nito and his cronies (with my divine great scythe, shit was so baller) and I'm looking around his chamber. So far I can't see shit

btw Nito's theme is amazing. Too bad he's such a bitch.

coldvein

Banned
more nub help requested. i'm in blighttown. one time i somehow rode the big rotating wooden wheely things down to the bottom level... eventually died down there and revived up in the undead parish. since then i've tried to use those crazy wheel things (with the platforms) to get back down to the bottom swampy level of blighttown but i've fallen to my death like six times in a row. what am i doing wrong? is there a simpler way down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom