• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

toasty_T said:
Where is Leeroy's armour?

Just killed Nito and his cronies (with my divine great scythe, shit was so baller) and I'm looking around his chamber. So far I can't see shit

You might have to come back after leaving. Nito's bonfire is one you can warp to.

IrishNinja

scy said:
Near the bonfire after the Archers; it's in the room directly across from it with the Spear-wielding Silver Knight.

ah, i'm so lazy trying to rush through this playthrough, didn't even check there - thanks man!

with smough, im trying alternating steel ring with lightning protection, still dying in 2 hits if he gets em. i need to lay down better damage than this.

Zzoram

coldvein said:
more nub help requested. i'm in blighttown. one time i somehow rode the big rotating wooden wheely things down to the bottom level... eventually died down there and revived up in the undead parish. since then i've tried to use those crazy wheel things (with the platforms) to get back down to the bottom swampy level of blighttown but i've fallen to my death like six times in a row. what am i doing wrong? is there a simpler way down?

It's the only way down from that direction, which is the short cut. The long way is more annoying, a serious of platforms and ladders with way more enemies.

Roll to get on the top of the wheel thing as one of the platforms comes by. Then roll off it when you get to the first real landing you can go to, then climb down a ladder.

scosher

coldvein said:
more nub help requested. i'm in blighttown. one time i somehow rode the big rotating wooden wheely things down to the bottom level... eventually died down there and revived up in the undead parish. since then i've tried to use those crazy wheel things (with the platforms) to get back down to the bottom swampy level of blighttown but i've fallen to my death like six times in a row. what am i doing wrong? is there a simpler way down?

You must be trying from a higher ledge than you're supposed to cause it really is a simple drop to the platform as it comes around. Basic Mario platforming shit. Try looking for a ladder that goes down to a lower level before getting onto the waterwheel.

Zzoram

scosher said:
You must be trying from a higher ledge than you're supposed to cause it really is a simple drop to the platform as it comes around. Basic Mario platforming shit. Try looking for a ladder that goes down to a lower level before getting onto the waterwheel.

That's almost certainly it. Go down as many ladders as you can before you try the wheel. The first time you see the wheel, you're still too high. Look for torches to indicate where a ladder is.

scy

This is one of those "So, why exactly did I think otherwise?"/facepalm moments but, yes, Weapon Enchants grant a static damage boost (Darkmoon Blade varies due to the Covenant Rank but it's just 1.8x MagAdjust + 10% per Rank up). At Covenant Rank+1, I get +327 AR from my 172 MagAdjust at 30 Faith which is adding 164 damage per swing regardless of weapon. Somewhere in here I thought of post-AR weapon speed calculations rather than baseAR calculated from weapon speed; I'm not entirely sure why.

So ... anyone else aiming for a weapon enchant build, just find the fastest weapon you like the moveset of and go with that. My Buffed Uchigatana+14 does right under 300 a swing which has it comfortably sitting at over half my Murakumo+15 damage per swing (503/swing). One-handed vs two-handed at that.

To reroll my Faith build over this or not. At least the Murakumo gives me better hit stun, I guess.

Edit: lol, don't know my own stats~

Zzoram

toasty_T said:
Yeah I just noticed that, does the penalty stack the more of the set that you wear?

All I want is the cloak

I'm pretty sure stamina penalty is based on every piece of armor, so only wearing one piece should have a lower penalty than wearing a whole set.

Is the Painted Guardian Sword then a viable magic enchant weapon because it's fast?

scosher

scy said:
This is one of those "So, why exactly did I think otherwise?"/facepalm moments but, yes, Weapon Enchants grant a static damage boost (Darkmoon Blade varies due to the Covenant Rank but it's just 1.8x MagAdjust + 10% per Rank up). At Covenant Rank+1, I get +327 AR from my 172 MagAdjust at 40 Faith which is adding 164 damage per swing regardless of weapon. Somewhere in here I thought of post-AR weapon speed calculations rather than baseAR calculated from weapon speed; I'm not entirely sure why.

So ... anyone else aiming for a weapon enchant build, just find the fastest weapon you like the moveset of and go with that. My Buffed Uchigatana+14 does right under 300 a swing which has it comfortably sitting at over half my Murakumo+15 damage per swing (503/swing). One-handed vs two-handed at that.

Yeah, I noticed this too when testing CMW. It seems enchants do not adjust to weapon speed, so the ideal CMW/DMB build will probably favor fast dex-focused weapons.

Saw a post on wiki-dot's forums stating that with Rickard's Rapier unique multi-hit R2, the weapon enchant actually gets applied to each hit for some absurd combo damage. Painting Guardian Sword may get similar treatment with its unique R2.

Also, not sure if you saw my post a few pages back, but from my testing, I can confirm that Hornet's Ring at least does increase your static weapon enchant damage by exactly 1.5 when backstabbing/riposting.

Zzoram

scosher said:
Yeah, I noticed this too when testing CMW. It seems enchants do not adjust to weapon speed, so the ideal CMW/DMB build will probably favor fast dex-focused weapons.

Saw a post on wiki-dot's forums stating that with Rickard's Rapier unique multi-hit R2, the weapon enchant actually gets applied to each hit for some absurd combo damage. Painting Guardian Sword may get similar treatment with its unique R2.

Also, not sure if you saw my post a few pages back, but from my testing, I can confirm that Hornet's Ring at least does increase your static weapon enchant damage by exactly 1.5 when backstabbing/riposting.

So Rickard's Rapier or Painted Guardian Sword + Crystal Magic Weapon + Hornet's Ring = best DPS in the game?

Rickard's Rapier has lower base damage and scaling than PGS.

scosher

Zzoram said:
So Rickard's Rapier or Painted Guardian Sword + Crystal Magic Weapon + Hornet's Ring = best DPS in the game?

Hornet's Ring is only for backstabs, so rapiers would benefit it more than PGS since they have a passive penetration bonus that's not really listed anywhere. From my testing with just basic non-upgraded weapons, the basic rapier seems to be the best BS'ing weapon (since it also has a 1.10 crit modifier and only slightly less AR than Estoc), but that bonus to Rickard's Rapier R2 seems too good to pass up.

And likely to get hit by the nerf bat considering FROM's penchant to nerf everything.

edit - theorycrafting some more, with PGS's unique R2, dagger-esque speed and range but with the scimitar's base damage, plus throw in some bleed, it probably is one of the best CMW/DMB weapons.

Zzoram

scosher said:
Hornet's Ring is only for backstabs, so rapiers would benefit it more than PGS since they have a passive penetration bonus that's not really listed anywhere. From my testing with just basic non-upgraded weapons, the basic rapier seems to be the best BS'ing weapon (since it also has a 1.10 crit modifier and only slightly less AR than Estoc), but that bonus to Rickard's Rapier R2 seems too good to pass up.

And likely to get hit by the nerf bat considering FROM's penchant to nerf everything.

Wait, even rapiers without a backstab bonus actually have a backstab bonus?

scosher

Zzoram said:
Wait, even rapiers without a backstab bonus actually have a backstab bonus?

Yup, similar to Demon's Souls. Weapons seem to have different backstab modifiers completely irrespective of their listed "crit modifier," which just seems to be an extra bonus on top of the weapon's usual backstab formula. Even though bandit's knife has a 147 "crit modifier," if you compare it with an Estoc, they come out to similar backstab numbers, likely because of whatever hidden bonus rapiers get + the higher base damage.

Zzoram

scosher said:
Yup, similar to Demon's Souls. Weapons seem to have different backstab modifiers completely irrespective of their listed "crit modifier," which just seems to be an extra bonus on top of the weapon's usual backstab formula. Even though bandit's knife has a 147 "crit modifier," if you compare it with an Estoc, they come out to similar backstab numbers, likely because of whatever hidden bonus rapiers get + the higher base damage.

waaat?

Estoc > Bandit's Dagger? Did you consider that Bandit's Dagger has bleed effect?

I need to test things with my platinum character that has just about every item in the game.

I was thinking of building a character around the Painted Guardian Sword but if Rickard's Rapier is better, maybe I'll use that instead.

Zzoram

Jroderton said:
Is that big ass guide book worth picking up? I suck at this game.

But totally having fun with it.

You don't need it, youtube + wiki + this thread is fine, but it's a well made book.

A lot of the weapon/armor detailed stats will get outdated with the next patch, but they should still be correct for telling you how weapons do relative to each other. Armor and shields are being changed a bit differently though.

scosher

Zzoram said:
waaat?

Estoc > Bandit's Dagger? Did you consider that Bandit's Dagger has bleed effect?

I need to test things with my platinum character that has just about every item in the game.

I was thinking of building a character around the Painted Guardian Sword but if Rickard's Rapier is better, maybe I'll use that instead.

I'm talking purely of backstab numbers, not saying that Estoc > Bandit's Dagger in every way. I can't remember which was higher (pretty close), but Rapier did more than both on backstab. I don't really like the rapier's moveset though compared to Rickard's or Estoc.

Also, edited my post above earlier, but if you're not going for a backstab-build, PGS may just end up being a better option than Rickard's because of its additional bleed effect.

Zzoram

Well can many enemies even bleed? If bleed affects some of the tough enemies and some bosses then PGS is definitely my plan.

I find it kinda difficult to backstab consistently, and many enemies are immune, but I always try when I get the opportunity.

J-Roderton

Zzoram said:
You don't need it, youtube + wiki + this thread is fine, but it's a well made book.

A lot of the weapon/armor detailed stats will get outdated with the next patch, but they should still be correct for telling you how weapons do relative to each other. Armor and shields are being changed a bit differently though.

That's kind of what I was worried about as far as the patch goes. I haven't seen exactly what the patch changed, even though I've only played offline thus far. I suppose I'll check that out.

Thanks.

Also, are there really any disadvantages to playing offline. I currently have no Xbox live and probably won't for a while. I guess the only problem would be getting help from co-op right?

matmanx1

So, I thought (like many others I'm sure) that the Darkmoon Forest spot behind the locked door was pretty much the best farming spot in the game.

I found something much better (well, potentially, but we'll get to that in a minute) tonight that I somehow passed right over on first glance. The Silver Knight right across the hall from the bonfire in Anor Londo right after the two annoying archers. He gives a base of 900 souls. Wearing the Silver Serpent ring this goes up to 1080. Wearing the Silver Serpent ring + getting the overkill bonus nets you 1296 per kill. The overkill bonus gets applied with one maxed pyro flame Great Fireball and wearing either the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring or the Dusk Crown.

Because that particular Knight does not move until you are literally right in his face you can run into the room, toss a fireball at him and be back out of the room into the hall before his death animation even finishes. That's an easy 3900'ish souls per minute with zero risk.

And I only discovered it (or rediscovered it rather) because I went to try and get the Silver Knight Spear and Straight Sword to drop for my Knight's Honor trophy. Thankfully I got both tonight but I still managed to go from level 88 to level 90 in pretty short order.

Sort of insane how quick you could level there assuming you've put the work in to get your pyro flame ascended and to get the Silver Serpent ring. Heck, even if you don't have the extra firepower and ring it's still pretty fast although if you have to kill the knight with melee instead of one super safe spell it's going to lower your souls per minute rate considerably.

sixghost

Zzoram said:

It's nice to have access to that info quickly. A lot of the stuff in the wikis is still incomplete.

Mindlog

coldvein said:
Just walk onto the wheel. You should be on a platform that directly faces the top of the wheel. Follow the torches to find the appropriate ladders.

Memories. lol

I kept telling myself I should do I trial run before I made the trip to Blighttown. Nevertheless after farming the garden I began my trek to Blighttown to top off my pyromancy glove. What happens? I fall off that stupid wheel.

Lucky for me I was paranoid enough to have a ring of sacrifice on. I ended up taking the route through, The Depths.

My problem: I was trying to jump onto the wheel. You can just walk onto it. Or roll. I don't want to admit how many times I died trying to make the jump that takes you back to Undead Asylum. I felt so dumb when I rolled onto it the first time.

Now I could probably make the trip to Blighttown overburdened and with the television turned off. Also, ladders just slow me down.

J-Roderton

sixghost said:
It's nice to have access to that info quickly. A lot of the stuff in the wikis is still incomplete.

Yeah, a couple things I've tried to find out on the wiki weren't there yet. I guess people are still finding out a lot about the game so far?

scy

scosher said:

Yeah, I figured it would have so I originally thought up STR + Faith/INT over DEX; I merely built my DEX character first because I never made a high DEX character. I need to start playing with values to see if there's a better sweet spot for DEX vs Faith on damage over 40/30; I'm thinking 30/44 works for INT (to get Crystal Soul Spear) in the same vein that 30/44 works for Faith for 199 MagAdjust off of Ivory/Sunlight, though if 14 Faith is worth +27 MagAdjust is another matter entirely.

Off-hand, +10 DEX is closer to +50-70 Physical AR off the 1.04 good DEX weapons (Uchigatana, Iaito, Rapier, Estoc, Great Scythe) so 40 DEX is probably still the way to go.

Yeah, Rickard's is potentially ridiculous with the multi-thrust. I actually didn't know PGS had a unique R2 either so I may need to go try that out now, lol. I think it'll be down to these two for probably the best enchant weapon, though.

Yeah, I saw it and meant to comment but forgot to. I will say I expected more out of the BK's Riposte/BS damage, though; only saw around 1300-ish with my 40 DEX/30 Faith setup vs Black Knights at the Kiln.

Also, random disappointment in too many purely Physical weapons that cannot be Enchanted merely because they're not on the normal Titanite upgrade path.

sixghost

Jroderton said:
Yeah, a couple things I've tried to find out on the wiki weren't there yet. I guess people are still finding out a lot about the game so far?
I don't this it's that so much as it is the shear volume of information. The guide has every stat for every weapon and armor piece at various upgrade levels.

Also, the maps with the item locations are great.

dekjo

I'm sure this has been thoroughly discussed in one of the threads, but any good tips on how to enjoy PvP in this game? At the very end of the game and thought I'd try some PvP, but everyone I fight does the slow spell, homing missiles, some sort of area spell/attack similar to the large knights in Anor Londo, etc. and basically kill me in one or two swings.

At SL 73, I'm using the Furysword +5, Eagle Shield +10, and Ornstein's armor set. Should I be using better equipment? If so, any suggestions? Do I just need to get better at the game?

I made my build based on what I felt needed at the time to win PvE, so probably didn't min/max that well - because of that, am I doomed to just constantly be fucked by cheesers?

scosher

Zzoram said:
Well can many enemies even bleed? If bleed affects some of the tough enemies and some bosses then PGS is definitely my plan.

I find it kinda difficult to backstab consistently, and many enemies are immune, but I always try when I get the opportunity.

All the Stray Demon types (ie. Demon Firesage, etc.), and Centipede Demon were pretty susceptible to bleed from my katana. Most regular enemies tend to die before you even stack up the bleed so it's mostly useful for high HP bosses, or PvP.

Another thought...Shotel + CMW/DMB would probably be just as devastating in PvP. Probably a good backup weapon to make to +15 against turtlers.

scy

scosher said:
All the Stray Demon types (ie. Demon Firesage, etc.), and Centipede Demon were pretty susceptible to bleed from my katana. Most regular enemies tend to die before you even stack up the bleed so it's mostly useful for high HP bosses, or PvP.

Another thought...Shotel + CMW/DMB would probably be just as devastating in PvP. Probably a good backup weapon to make to +15 against turtlers.

Yeah, Shotel is a great back-up weapon in general.

So, to put some thoughts onto paper (...post?), the optimal SL120-range build I can think of:

Starting Cleric:
SL113
Vitality - 40
Attunement - 14
Endurance - 40
Strength - 12 (Base)
Dexterity - 40
Resistance - 11 (Base)
Intelligence - 8 (Base)
Faith - 30

Gives you +2 to +12 points to play with depending on where in the range you want to fall. +2 to Attunement gets you an extra spell slot so SL125 gets you 40 Faith for better Enchants and Wraths. Raising DEX gets you really small returns (like, +2 Physical AR on the weapons we're looking at) so they're not really worth thinking about too much.

The Rapier (8/20), Shotel (9/14), and Painting Guardian Sword (7/20) are all accessible at this base STR.

You are a bit limited at 12 STR for PvE weapons, though; Enchant duration is pretty short so you'll need to rely on something like a Falchion for general use.

ElFly

How do I upgrade a broken sword +5 to a broken sword +6 -> +10?

Apparently I need Large Titanite shards, but I have 13 of those and Andrei the blacksmith isn't showing me the option.

scosher

ElFly said:
How do I upgrade a broken sword +5 to a broken sword +6 -> +10?

Apparently I need Large Titanite shards, but I have 13 of those and Andrei the blacksmith isn't showing me the option.

Get a Large Ember from the Depths first to give to him, then he can ascend it in the Modify Equipment menu.

Insaniac

scosher said:

why the shotel? something unique about it?

tokkun

scosher said:

I don't run into all that many turtlers in this game. But my preferred method of dealing with them is to just keep nailing their shield with the Gravelord Sword. It doesn't take too long to inflict toxic status even through the shield, and a lot of players will panic when that happens and make a mistake.

UFRA

Zzoram said:

More importantly though is how nice it is to be able to use the maps and stuff in the area guide section.

If you don't mind some spoilers, it's nice to be able to plan out where you want to go before you even get there.

Or in my case, ignore some areas because they contain weapons I never will use and it's not worth dying for.

scy

Insaniac said:
huh. See this is good stuff to know, i wish the game told me this :(

Well, to be fair, the in-game text on the Shotel says it bypasses shields.

Edit: The PGS unique R2 ... doesn't seem that worth it to me; it pauses too long between swings. Ricard's has the start-up but it gets 5+ swings off in record time so decent Poise to eat a hit can let you decimate the target. I'll have to give it a shot in real PvP, not just vs random enemies.

This does free up some weight in my build, too ... maybe I can squeeze in some more poise, hm...

JVIDICAN

Some where deep in this games coding is Artorias armor. I can feel it... I.. want.. it.. on me. ;.;
Just imagine a wolf inspired armor akin to Ornstiens lion inspirred armor. The guy's also on the damn US cover.It's already designed, why isn't it in the game? >:[

JVIDICAN said:
Some where deep in this games coding is Artorias armor. I can feel it... I.. want.. it.. on me. ;.;
Just imagine a wolf inspired armor akin to Ornstiens lion inspirred armor. The guy's also on the damn US cover.It's already designed, why isn't it in the game? >:[

WHAT

Goes to find box

Holy shit it IS Artorias!

Actually, while we're talking about Artorias, why is the Hornet ring at his grave and his ring is on a random body in the woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom