• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scosher said:
I'm talking purely of backstab numbers, not saying that Estoc > Bandit's Dagger in every way. I can't remember which was higher (pretty close), but Rapier did more than both on backstab. I don't really like the rapier's moveset though compared to Rickard's or Estoc.

Also, edited my post above earlier, but if you're not going for a backstab-build, PGS may just end up being a better option than Rickard's because of its additional bleed effect.
Does Estoc count as a rapier? I noticed that my Lightning Estoc has very high backstab numbers, but didn't know about this rapier bonus to backstabs. I thought the Lightning upgrade path was just that good.

JVIDICAN

Thagomizer said:
WHAT

Goes to find box

comes back

Um, what you talkin' bout

Actually, while we're talking about Artorias, why is the Hornet ring at his grave and his ring is on a random body in the woods?
Grave robbers. Only explanation. :p

This cover. Look at the sword, the shield. It's Artorias.
dark-souls-20110616114637948.jpg

elty

So I join the forest covenant, logout at the forest entrance. Come back in later and instantly got 2000 souls from nowhere, and now the forest hunter is aggressive to me.

I checked and the usual suspects (mage, invisible bandit and cleric) are all there. No idea what just happened.

Giard

elty said:
So I join the forest covenant, logout at the forest entrance. Come back in later and instantly got 2000 souls from nowhere, and now the forest hunter is aggressive to me.

I checked and the usual suspects (mage, invisible bandit and cleric) are all there. No idea what just happened.
It's a glitch, a ninja spawned off a cliff and died and they're blaming you. Seriously.

I have a question as well...do rats stop dropping humanity some time? I'm trying to farm them (with the gold snake ring) and they're not dropping any, been at it for 15 mins.

Heard about the Picasas, should I try them instead?

JVIDICAN

Thagomizer said:
Sif, you fucking slacker.
He's old. :3

Another thing to confirm the guy on the cover is Artorias. He's holding the shield in his right hand. Equip the shield go near a wall and rotate the camera to zoom in. There's an arm strap on the upper right corner. It's intended to be used as a right handed shield. (Although it makes no difference for the PC) @.@'

Dresden

JVIDICAN said:
He's old. :3

Another thing to confirm the guy on the cover is Artorias. He's holding the shield in his right hand. Equip the shield go near a wall and rotate the camera to zoom in. There's an arm strap on the upper right corner. It's intended to be used as a right handed shield. (Although it makes no difference for the PC) @.@'
Maybe he's Link.

JVIDICAN

AlphaDragoon said:
Uh...I think that's the Black Knight Greatsword, actually.

dBQap.jpg
That's possible I guess. lol
The guy on the cover definitely isn't wearing a black knight armor set though. And there's still the right handed shield! Hope live on! >:D

Looking closer, it's definitely the Black Knight Greatsword. Greatsword of Artorias has a much thinner blade, no spiky points in the middle of the blade, and the hilt is completely different.

Armor is Elite Knight set, I do believe.

JVIDICAN

AlphaDragoon said:
Looking closer, it's definitely the Black Knight Greatsword. Greatsword of Artorias has a much thinner blade, no spiky points in the middle of the blade, and the hilt is completely different.

Armor is Elite Knight set, I do believe.
I've actually checked the elite set. Arms and leggings don't match up at all and the helmet is really iffy. Only resemblance is the shoulder pads on the armor.

NBtoaster said:
I don't remember if this was explained or not, but it's bugging me:

Why didn't Gwyn return from the kiln of the first flame?
In order to link the flame he had to burn as kindle for it

scy

Akuun said:
Does Estoc count as a rapier? I noticed that my Lightning Estoc has very high backstab numbers, but didn't know about this rapier bonus to backstabs. I thought the Lightning upgrade path was just that good.

It's in the same class but doesn't have the damage bonus; the game lists it as "Critical" in the stat screen. Rapier is 110, Mail Breaker is 120, and Bandit's Knife is 154. There's probably more but those are the only ones off the top of my head.

Speevy

Banned
I have naturally leveled my character to 184, and I haven't created a single boss weapon.

What am I doing wrong?

I've made tons of +10 stuff, but I never get the damn option.

JVIDICAN

Speevy said:
I have naturally leveled my character to 184, and I haven't created a single boss weapon.

What am I doing wrong?

I've made tons of +10 stuff, but I never get the damn option.
Have you tried the giant blacksmith? :3

JVIDICAN said:
I've actually checked the elite set. Arms and leggings don't match up at all and the helmet is really iffy. Only resemblance is the shoulder pads on the armor.

R3D3p.jpg

Yeah, definitely Black Knight Greatsword. Just in case you couldn't see it yourself, I made a picture. You're right about Elite Knight, too many things don't match up.

NBtoaster said:
I don't remember if this was explained or not, but it's bugging me:

Why didn't Gwyn return from the kiln of the first flame?

The person who links the flame gets to burn as kindling for all eternity, or at least until they go Hollow and get killed by the next poor sucker who goes to do it.

JVIDICAN

AlphaDragoon said:
R3D3p.jpg

Yeah, definitely Black Knight Greatsword. Just in case you couldn't see it yourself, I made a picture. You're right about Elite Knight, too many things don't match up.

The person who links the flame gets to burn as kindling for all eternity, or at least until they go Hollow and get killed by the next poor sucker who goes to do it.
I got it! Artorias faked his death! He left his sword at his "grave" to convince people that he was dead, but soon realized that he'd still be needing a sword. So he jacked one off of a black knight! :'D...

Dresden

scy said:
It's in the same class but doesn't have the damage bonus; the game lists it as "Critical" in the stat screen. Rapier is 110, Mail Breaker is 120, and Bandit's Knife is 154. There's probably more but those are the only ones off the top of my head.
Rapiers just have an odd innate bonus, perhaps as thrusting weapons, to criticals. The Estoc seems to do as much backstab damage as bandit knives for me, and peeps are saying the regular Rapier is the best backstabbing weapon in the game.

JVIDICAN

Zzoram said:
This was probably when he first approached them.
Maybe, but the fact that they're still there when you enter the abyss makes me think the 4 kings fell to dark after Artorias's death. I wouldn't be surprised if the beast of the abyss that gave him the ability to traverse it was Frampt. :p

maomaoIYP

How did we move past 1.04 straight into 1.05? We're still at 1.03 aren't we? Patch that shit Namco. In the meantime I'll go back to playing MW3.

IrishNinja

man, i suck at PvP. i was better at demons - last few people have been mages, i work in close to get around their spell shit and get smacked with what looks like a crystal whip for mad HP.

ive got my iaito +15 (high dex build), elite knight set all at +9, the grass crest shield for stamina, usually the ring for flipping and one for poise. i dont wanna do iron flesh because then im just sitting there, should i be using other pyro or sorceries or something? id really like to have a better chance if i gotta start hunting for these souvenirs of reprisal soon.

edit: wow that 1.05 video looks gorgeous.

NBtoaster

JVIDICAN said:
In order to link the flame he had to burn as kindle for it

AlphaDragoon said:
http://i.imgur.com/R3D3p.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]The person who links the flame gets to burn as kindling for all eternity, or at least until they go Hollow and get killed by the next poor sucker who goes to do it.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Oh thats cool. Guess I got the bad ending then :o

Wikipedia calls it the good ending lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2AdEPT said:
You want to have him sense you or he won't travel into the middle of the room. I did watch a youtube of some guy that got LUCKY and cut off the tail right away after killingthe crystal, but I tried a 100 times to emulate that video solo and the tail was never around as long as it was for him.

I realized that having one player on one end and another player at the other would work, and that was how I FINALLY got it......but spent a whole day hiring noob after noob htat just didn't get it......they all ran in kanikaze style and fought valiantly... iWas prepared to boot them out if they didn't listen to me via messaging that I wanted the tail....they eventually listened, but still one of us died while trying for the tail when it was obvious that we could both spam the bastard to kill him. THe player that finally did it for me was willing to STAY PUT on the one side and only go in for a shot when the coast was clear and the tail was exposed properly...took a while but we finally did it.

Seath? I was very lucky. I whacked on Iron Flesh as soon as I went in, as I have only half HP and no estus left (was just going in for a recce). I realised the foolishness of iron flesh as I sloooowly walked towards the crystal to break it. But instead Seath broke it, and then I was right by his left side and he never attacked me, just spun slowly round in circles while I hit his left leg/tentacle/protrusion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IrishNinja said:
1) UGH stoopid smough on NG+. ive got the steel ring & wood grain/flip ring on, fire scimtar +5, elite knight set on and a heavy crossbow +10 with lots of heavy bolts. i get to him with solaire still kinda wobbly, im trying to handle him with the crossbow and it does so little damage vs his massive HP that eventually, he catches me once with his goddamn sweeping hammer move, takes half my life, then does it again before i can dodge (usually when i got too close to a wall or something).
he's supposed to be the easier of the two; any advice? pyro flame didnt seem to do a whole hell of a lot more either. im thinking about playing it closer but again, if im caught with that hammer sweep and then anything else before i can heal, it's over.

2) where are the sunlight medals in Andor Londo? i got em last time, seem to be missing them this time.

get in close. Smough constantly owned me with jumps and the hammer charge when I tried to keep my distance. No time to use pyro as it left me open to attack. Was MUCH simpler when I went in close - keep your weight under 25% if you can to get fast rolls/dodge and you can avoid all close hammer attacks. The only thing I had to fully back away from was his lightning area of attack which he telegraphs well when charging it up.

That O&S fight changed my attitude to a lot of the boss fights. Previously I was a little afraid of getting in close, but after O&S I found Pinwheel and Nito needed me to get in close and quickly.

Continued my attempt at playing through NG++ with human mode on all the time yesterday and had to leave my first Praise The Sun message in hopes of keeping my alarmingly dwindling Humanity stocks afloat.

Not feeling proud at all.

Insaniac

kyubajin said:
2c502408-s.jpg

Be wary of train...

Imminent sunbro.

awesome

Misterinenja said:
Continued my attempt at playing through NG++ with human mode on all the time yesterday and had to leave my first Praise The Sun message in hopes of keeping my alarmingly dwindling Humanity stocks afloat.

Not feeling proud at all.

I don't understand, how does that help your humanity stocks?

Insaniac said:
I don't understand, how does that help your humanity stocks?
Doesn't someone recommending your messages give you Humanity? I've left tons of actually helpful messages around and none of those has gotten any recommendations. Only messages I see getting pluses are praisethesuns and good lucks that don't actually help anyone in any way.

Danielsan

Well I made it through Lost Izalith. Once you get past the lava part it isn't so bad. The Bed of Chaos is a terrible boss though. Thank god you can just get back to him in around a minute otherwise I might thrown my controller at a wall.

All that leaves me is Gwyn.

Misterinenja said:
Doesn't someone recommending your messages give you Humanity? I've left tons of actually helpful messages around and none of those has gotten any recommendations. Only messages I see getting pluses are praisethesuns and good lucks that don't actually help anyone in any way.

No, when someone uprates your messages you get an estus flask replenished. I'm still not sure what causes the random increases in Humanity. I have read varying reports, from someone beating the boss nearby, to someone defeating an invader in PVP.

Zzoram

maomaoIYP said:
How did we move past 1.04 straight into 1.05? We're still at 1.03 aren't we? Patch that shit Namco. In the meantime I'll go back to playing MW3.

Blame MSFT.

They charge publishers if they use more than the 2 free title updates they get.

US/EU got 1.03 as their first patch, and will likely get 1.05 as their second. Japan got every one because it's PS3 only in Japan so they don't have to patch the 360 version in Japan.

Zzoram

Misterinenja said:

No, message recommendations give you a bonus drink of Estus, as does someone kindling a bonfire near you.

You get Humanity if someone who had Humanity died around where you are supposedly, and you get Humanity simply for not dying for a period of time during which you were killing stuff actively.

Soulhouf

Zzoram said:
Blame MSFT.

They charge publishers if they use more than the 2 free title updates they get.

US/EU got 1.03 as their first patch, and will likely get 1.05 as their second. Japan got every one because it's PS3 only in Japan so they don't have to patch the 360 version in Japan.

In that case why don't they patch the PS3 version in US/EUR ?

Zzoram

Soulhouf said:
In that case why don't they patch the PS3 version in US/EUR ?

Because in markets where both versions exist, patching only one of them would be seen as a slight against the other version and might discourage people on 360 from buying future versions?

1.03 is perfectly functional as it stands so they don't need to rush out patches at emergency speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom