• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Zzoram said:
Blame MSFT.

They charge publishers if they use more than the 2 free title updates they get.

US/EU got 1.03 as their first patch, and will likely get 1.05 as their second. Japan got every one because it's PS3 only in Japan so they don't have to patch the 360 version in Japan.

I'm sure Microsoft told Namco-Bandai that if they release the patch on ps3 first they can no longer be friends. Some CoD games have gotten patched on ps3 a few days before the 360 got the patch. Enough with the conspiracy theories, if you're going to point fingers at someone then point them at Namco-Bandai.

V_Arnold

burgerdog said:
I'm sure Microsoft told Namco-Bandai that if they release the patch on ps3 first they can no longer be friends. Some CoD games have gotten patched on ps3 a few days before the 360 got the patch. Enough with the conspiracy theories, if you're going to point fingers at someone then point them at Namco-Bandai.

Which is good, because if they wont fight for equal patching, they might as well let Namco Bandai ignore the 360 Dark Souls overall, even if the buyers are still Dark Souls players :p

Soulhouf

Zzoram said:
Because in markets where both versions exist, patching only one of them would be seen as a slight against the other version and might discourage people on 360 from buying future versions?

1.03 is perfectly functional as it stands so they don't need to rush out patches at emergency speed.
I understand that.
Why Namco doesn't say anything? Something like "We are testing and validating the current patch, it will be available in 2 weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience."

After two hours between farming harpies and invasions I got enough Souvenirs of Reprisals to level up the Darkmoon covenant. Got the talisman and the sword enchantment and wow, Darkmoon Blade looks hot.

Can it be applied to black knight weapons?

Zzoram

Soulhouf said:
I understand that.
Why Namco doesn't say anything? Something like "We are testing and validating the current patch, it will be available in 2 weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Because they're Japanese and Japanese companies are notorious for being horrible at communicating with Western market gamers?

Zzoram

toasty_T said:
After two hours between farming harpies and invasions I got enough Souvenirs of Reprisals to level up the Darkmoon covenant. Got the talisman and the sword enchantment and wow, Darkmoon Blade looks hot.

I don't think so since Black Knight weapons can only be upgraded to +5 using Twinkling.

Weapon enchants and resins only work on weapons that upgrade to +15 using regular Titanite.

scy

Dresden said:
Rapiers just have an odd innate bonus, perhaps as thrusting weapons, to criticals. The Estoc seems to do as much backstab damage as bandit knives for me, and peeps are saying the regular Rapier is the best backstabbing weapon in the game.

I chalked that up due to Thrust damage typing more than the Rapier classification itself; Thrust does seem to do better than the AR would indicate, if ever so slightly, though I'm not sure if that's due to a typing bonus or just due to it vs a lower Thrust DEF.

toasty_T said:

Basic guideline is if it upgrades with anything besides standard Titanite, it won't be Enchantable.

Edit: While I'm at it, Darkmoon Blade Enchant is a 1.8x multiplier that goes up +0.1 per Rank up which makes it the highest multiplier on the Enchants (1.4x on Crystal Magic Weapon, 1.5x on Sunlight Blade, 1.8x-2.1x on Darkmoon Blade). Do note that it requires you in the Covenant to use it so getting both it and Sunlight Blade in the same playthrough involves some Covenant breaking, unfortunately.

V_Arnold

roxya said:
What bonfire is typically used as a base for Ornstein & Smough runs?

The one inside the cathedral, in the corridors. Not the Anor Londo or the Tomb of Wtf, but simply the one inside with a lot of rooms and stairs, imho.

V_Arnold said:
The one inside the cathedral, in the corridors. Not the Anor Londo or the Tomb of Wtf, but simply the one inside with a lot of rooms and stairs, imho.

yeah, you will find summons there and also right before the boss door usually. I've seen a few in odd spots but those are definitely the two main locations.

Leunam

roxya said:

I like to use the one right outside of Gwyndolins room. Short hike to the boss door from there. If you can warp to it, it's called Chamber of the Princess.

Ah you're not asking for co-op purposes. I used the very first bonfire in Anor Londo, but it's a pretty long run.

scy

toasty_T said:
Oh damn. Do I have to be a member at +1 for it to work or do I simply rejoin?

Abandoning cuts contributions or something like that

Non-member -> Not usable.
Darkmoon Blade Rank+0 -> 1.8x
Darkmoon Blade Rank+1 -> 1.9x
Darkmoon Blade Rank+2 -> 2.0x
Darkmoon Blade Rank+3 -> 2.1x

Just annoys me that to get Sunlight Blade, you have to break this Covenant :/ And having both around is rather convenient as SB's 1.5x Lightning damage is still nice to have as a back-up.

roxya

V_Arnold said:

Where Solaire is? Seems like a lot of knights that way. But I guess the other way has giant knights and flying things...

V_Arnold

roxya said:
Where Solaire is? Seems like a lot of black knights that way. But I guess the other way has silver knights and flying things...

Yeah. The one with Soliaire.
I had a lot of tries there at first, after unlocking all shortcuts, it is exactly 2 black knights in the way (one outside once I go left, then into the 2-leveled room, then up, skip the knight near the stairs, only fight one in front of it, then turn right immediately, run through the two armored stone giants, then I am at the boss in a minute).

Had a funny invasion last night. Invaded someone in the first part of the catacombs, none of the bridges had been activated and I was running round for ages looking for them. Then it dawned on me that they might be using chameleon so I ran around attacking all the pots. Took a swing at one pot and suddenly a depleting health bar appeared next to it and a figure started to run for it. They had just been standing against the wall in plain sight with the fog ring on. Must have run past them many times without noticing. I had no idea the fog ring could hide you so well.

wow, Anor Londo is beautiful and awesome.....

but where the hell do i go? after the first bonfire i went up some path and there's a fog door i can't access, so i go back and go the other way down the elevator to that gargoyle, beat him and then... a dead end? i set down my sign and to my surprise someone summoned me immediately, but then he doesn't know where to go either! wtf. we looked everywhere and there were no paths, and we couldn't go back in the level because in multiplayer there's a fog door to prevent going back to the elevator. so he sent me away from his game, because we couldn't progress at all.

WTF? is this a bug? seriously annoying, i tried figuring out where to go for like 30-45min and then i just said fuck it and quit the game.

this is the first time i've ever been stumped in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls about where to go. did i and the person who summoned me miss a switch earlier in the level or something? tried looking but no luck...

astroturfing said:
wow, Anor Londo is beautiful and awesome.....

but where the hell do i go? after the first bonfire i went up some path and there's a fog door i can't access, so i go back and go the other way down the elevator to that gargoyle, beat him and then... a dead end? i set down my sign and to my surprise someone summoned me immediately, but then he doesn't know where to go either! wtf. we looked everywhere and there were no paths, and we couldn't go back in the level because in multiplayer there's a fog door to prevent going back to the elevator. so he sent me away from his game, because we couldn't progress at all.

WTF? is this a bug? seriously annoying, i tried figuring out where to go for like 30-45min and then i just said fuck it and quit the game.

this is the first time i've ever been stumped in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls about where to go. did i and the person who summoned me miss a switch earlier in the level or something? tried looking but no luck...

Just after you come out from the elevator you can walk up one of the narrow beams to your left. Stumped me at first too.

Pejo

After taking my time exploring all of the different areas, (even Lost Izalith) I finally opened up the final area. Up until now I had reallllly begun to wonder if chunks were really that rare, and if everyone else was just having way more luck than me with getting them to upgrading their weapons. But now i see....oh yes...i see.

Such an awesome ride, I don't want it to end. Going through now and looking at the Wiki/Youtube to try to collect all the stuff that I still can before the final showdown. I definitely am going to start a brand new character after 1.05 now that I know what's going on and hopefully not mess up my build.

Also, VERY optimistic with the summon signs video from patch 1.05, I would really like to do a lot more helping and co-op this time through, and I look forward to more invaders although i'm TURRRRIBLE at PVP.

I took a mild break after opening the gold fog gates to beat Uncharted 3, Gears 3, and started Batman, but now i'm back to Dark Souls for at least another full playthrough. Can't wait!

Leunam

From the first bonfire in Anor Londo, make a left and you'll see a big room with two Giant Knights. To the right from that room is an exit with another Giant Knight. Go past this one and up the stairs and you'll reach the archives.

scy

DarkSoul520 said:
So, how do you get to the Duke's Archives? I have the Lordvessel, and I thought that was what I needed to bypass the barrier in Anor Londo?

You need to place it by speaking to
Frampt in the Firelink Shrine or Kaathe in The Abyss; the former is just ... there in the Shrine so it's hard to miss him. Kaathe gives you more backstory and another Covenant option, however; you do have to beat the Four Kings in New Londo without placing the Lordvessel for this option to work. Afterwards, you can get through the gold barriers

Booshka

Rolled a Cleric and Astora's Straight Sword is like a mini-Drake sword for early game Cleric's haha. Has a great moveset as well. I'm going to focus on Strength, Faith, Endurance and Vitality, with some Attunement as well. I got tired of my Pyromancer class, and I want to use big ass weapons and try out faith spells.

elohel

anyone here just kind of wandering through the game? you don't really know what all is possible or even how all the mechanics work together?

Cuz that's kinda where I'm at lol

How often should you gain humanity and how much do most people carry? is it something that should be constantly coming and going or?

Booshka

elohel said:
anyone here just kind of wandering through the game? you don't really know what all is possible or even how all the mechanics work together?

How often should you gain humanity and how much do most people carry? is it something that should be constantly coming and going or?
Everything is very vague and confusing, so if you aren't asking for outside help, or looking up info on your own, you're going to be lost for a while. Humanity affects the online component of the game, you can only summon players or be invaded in Human form, whereas you can put your summon sign down and be summoned in either Undead or Human form. There are Humanity items for your inventory, then there is Humanity in your counter next to your Health and Stamina bars. Humanity in your counter can be used to Reverse Hollow (Turn back to Human form) and then can be used to kindle bonfires to get more Estus Flasks from bonfires. Humanity in your counter also affects your Item Discovery rate, resistances and can buff certain types of weapons.

For my first playthrough I was undead with no humanity in my counter most of the game. Now, I am almost always in Human form, with at least a few Humanity in my counter and later in the game in the 10-30 range in my counter.

elohel said:

I'm kind of jealous, wish I could wipe my knowledge of the game and go back to that again :) My first playthrough I barely ever had humanity because I didn't know where to farm for it. Main things you'll want to save it for is kindling bonfires and reviving so you can summon helpers for boss fights.

UFRA

I stopped "using" all of my humanity whenever I get it. I've lost 8 humanity and 5 humanity all at once before and never got it back. I learned where to farm it now, and so I usually run around with 5 humanity "activated" and I have 11 humanity in "reserve" in my inventory. That way I don't lose my whole bank from a stupid mistake.

lupin23rd

Wow, I always thought the shortcut in Lost Izilith was the door beside the daughter of chaos, and didn't kno whow to open it, but it's actually the door to the right of the Firesage Demon? I can't believe I missed that my first play through.

Does the titanite demon there respawn? I hope he doesn't so I can avoid him, but hope he does so I can farm some shards.

lupin23rd said:
Wow, I always thought the shortcut in Lost Izilith was the door beside the daughter of chaos, and didn't kno whow to open it, but it's actually the door to the right of the Firesage Demon? I can't believe I missed that my first play through.

Does the titanite demon there respawn? I hope he doesn't so I can avoid him, but hope he does so I can farm some shards.

Haha, that got me too. I ended up donating 60 humanity because I thought the 30 I gave hadn't worked. Doh. Really looks like the shortcut should be there. And yeah that titanite demon respawns.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
One of the things I think From should have done was put the indicator that you can push Select in the weapon stat screen like it indicates in the character stat screen. I think a lot of people miss that you can get an explanation of the stat scaling stuff on that page.

scy said:
You need to place it by speaking to
Frampt in the Firelink Shrine or Kaathe in The Abyss; the former is just ... there in the Shrine so it's hard to miss him. Kaathe gives you more backstory and another Covenant option, however; you do have to beat the Four Kings in New Londo without placing the Lordvessel for this option to work. Afterwards, you can get through the gold barriers

Thanks a bunch. I'm working on the
Tomb of the Giants right now, so I think I'll finish that and Nito first before moving onto New Londo. New Londo is just, ehh. Of all the areas in the game, I find that area the cheapest. Having to constantly use Transient Curses is really annoying. I did manage to open the floodgates, having killed Ingward rather than waiting for the Lordvessel when I did it.

.GqueB.

Banned
elohel said:

I didnt care about humanity at first but then a friend of mine got the game and caught up to me in level. We've been pretty much playing the game together so naturally humanity is important so getting it and keep it has become a job in itself. I always have to keep a humanity or two as an item in my inventory just in case I die along the way and need to reverse hollow and summon him again. But Id imagine for most it isnt that important.

I believe the more you carry the better your enemy drops will be. You also need them to join some covenant or another at some point in the game. Someone else can be more specific Im sure.

140.85 said:
One of the things I think From should have done was put the indicator that you can push Select in the weapon stat screen like it indicates in the character stat screen. I think a lot of people miss that you can get an explanation of the stat scaling stuff on that page.

Wait, you can do that? Damn, that would have been useful to know.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Haha, that got me too. I ended up donating 60 humanity because I thought the 30 I gave hadn't worked. Doh. Really looks like the shortcut should be there. And yeah that titanite demon respawns.

man, for some reason the idea of a respawning titanite demon gets me all giddy, can't wait to get there! i love fighting them, they look so menacing and all. really freaky enemies. and my first fight with one lasted forever (was underleveled with crappy gear), it was incredible and the satisfaction of finishing the demon off was just.. wow.

i love all the "mini-bosses" from this game, such cool stuff and mostly fun to fight (even the boar IMO).

scy

DarkSoul520 said:
Thanks a bunch. I'm working on the
Tombs of the Giants right now, so I think I'll finish that and Nito first before moving onto New Londo. New Londo is just, ehh. Of all the areas in the game, I find that area the cheapest. Having to constantly use Transient Curses is really annoying. I did manage to open the floodgates, having killed Ingward rather than waiting for the Lordvessel when I did it.

Erm, if you haven't
placed the vessel then you can't finish the Tomb; not sure if you meant you placed the Vessel via Frampt or not so just a heads up before you get too far into the Tomb

.GqueB. said:
I believe the more you carry the better your enemy drops will be. You also need them to join some covenant or another at some point in the game. Someone else can be more specific Im sure.

Humanity in the HUD scales a few things:
Up to 10: Chaos Weapon damage scaling.
Up to 30: Item Find scaling.
Up to 99: Defense scaling.

The Darkwraith and Chaos Covenants need Humanity to rank up; the former takes it from the HUD or Inventory while the latter is HUD only. You need to give up a total of 10 for Rank+1, 30 for Rank+2, and 80 for Rank+3.

astroturfing said:
man, for some reason the idea of a respawning titanite demon gets me all giddy, can't wait to get there! i love fighting them, they look so menacing and all. really freaky enemies. and my first fight with one lasted forever (was underleveled with crappy gear), it was incredible and the satisfaction of finishing the demon off was just.. wow.

i love all the "mini-bosses" from this game, such cool stuff and mostly fun to fight (even the boar IMO).

Yeah, that first encounter with the titanite demon next to the blacksmith was really memorable. It looks incredibly creepy and you're wondering what the hell it is. Then you notice all the bloodstains around it as it starts crawling towards you. I chickened out at first after a couple of half hearted attempts but coming back later and putting it down really made me feel like I'd got much stronger.

The Lost Izalith titanite demon is like the daddy titanite demon. Hits harder and has more hp than the normal ones. And you have to fight him on a narrow bridge. He does drop 2 shards every time to make up for it though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
DarkSoul520 said:
Wait, you can do that? Damn, that would have been useful to know.

Yeah. Seems like an odd oversight to me. Some people see those letters and don't even know what it's about.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Made some good progress last night! Did the Painted World of Ariamis and killed Priscilla, then finished up Anor Londo by killing Ornstein and Smough (got Smough's soul), and wrapped up the night by going back to Darkroot Garden and killing Great Grey Wolf Sif.

I really hope these boss souls last into New Game+ because I accidentally killed Andrei on my current game and can't use them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
roxya said:
I just used the one with the firekeeper leaning on a wall. Straight run down the lift and ahead. I just run past the big knights and usually don't get hit at all.

roxya

So I was summoned to someone's world and some glowing crab thing one-shot me with a spell as I ran past. What the fuck was that?!

edit for details: Anor Londo, it was near the broken window in the cathedral.

Minamu

I have 40 twinkling titanites and I need a new armor so I can get past Smough & Ornstein :( I'm lvl 104 with vit 23 (working on it!), end 40, str 50, dex 31, int 8 & fai 13. I'm a Bandit so I prefer to be able to move properly. What set should I be using? I'm mixing gold hemmed with some low lvl leather and black knight helmet at the moment. I really need something new, especially with the upcoming (?) patch in mind.

Dresden

Minamu said:
I have 40 twinkling titanites and I need a new armor so I can get past Smough & Ornstein :( I'm lvl 104 with vit 23 (working on it!), end 40, str 50, dex 31, int 8 & fai 13. I'm a Bandit so I prefer to be able to move properly. What set should I be using? I'm mixing gold hemmed with some low lvl leather and black knight helmet at the moment. I really need something new, especially with the upcoming (?) patch in mind.
Gold hemmed is all you need for S&O.

kurohana

roxya said:
So I was summoned to someone's world and some glowing crab thing one-shot me with a spell as I ran past. What the fuck was that?!

edit for details: Anor Londo, it was near the broken window in the cathedral.
I believe that was a vagrant? They end up forming by someone dropping equipment and then someone dying near it. At least I think that's how it goes, and it has to be some pretty specific spot.

roxya said:

Sounds like one of those vagrant things. They're created from other people dropping items which eventually transform into them. Never seen one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom