• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
roxya said:
So I was summoned to someone's world and some glowing crab thing one-shot me with a spell as I ran past. What the fuck was that?!
not known by many, it is a Drift Item (rare enemy) which only appears online.

Cloudius12 said:

wtf? what?! a rare and random glowing crab thingy that can one-shot players?

what a crazy wonderful game. i have not seen that in the +100 hours i've been playing.

roxya

Cloudius12 said:

Yeah seems like it is this / what others and the wiki are calling Vagrants. Strange thing. The host didn't see it and probably thought I jumped to my death or something...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Cloudius12 said:
=D how it should have been in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HITanD8IxU
Video compilation of some changes of 1.04/1.05.

Description says improved framerate in Blighttown and New Londo.

Dude got 4 Eyes of Death in one Basilisk run. With the connectivity improvements we might actually start seeing effective Gravelord invasions.

matmanx1

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, that first encounter with the titanite demon next to the blacksmith was really memorable. It looks incredibly creepy and you're wondering what the hell it is. Then you notice all the bloodstains around it as it starts crawling towards you. I chickened out at first after a couple of half hearted attempts but coming back later and putting it down really made me feel like I'd got much stronger.

The Lost Izalith titanite demon is like the daddy titanite demon. Hits harder and has more hp than the normal ones. And you have to fight him on a narrow bridge. He does drop 2 shards every time to make up for it though.

Ya they are some of my favorite enemies in the game. The Lost Izalith Demon surprised me with how powerful he is by eating 2 chaos fireballs and then turning around and impaling my overconfident self. I now approach him with far more caution.

Did some Black Knight farming this morning in the Kiln and was lucky enough to get all of their weapons and the shield in only half an hour. I was expecting a much longer amount of time to get those items so I am happy about the result.

Zzoram said:
Because in markets where both versions exist, patching only one of them would be seen as a slight against the other version and might discourage people on 360 from buying future versions?

1.03 is perfectly functional as it stands so they don't need to rush out patches at emergency speed.

Doesn't make sense to me... I mean, I understand the sentiment, but look at fighting games that are out this past year, MK9, SF3SOE for example -- patches came out first on one system, etc. Just because the patching process takes different amount of time is no reason to penalize whichever userbase chose the console that's having issues with getting the patch out.

No point in patching it if you wait so long the community dies of boredom from the poor matching conditions. ;)

--

Patch looks niiice. Will make the game much easier for those who haven't played, at least in regards to a lot of trophies/achievements. Seems that it only requires 10 humanity for full farming drop rate now.

Ourobolus

Banned
mrklaw said:
I just used the one with the firekeeper leaning on a wall. Straight run down the lift and ahead. I just run past the big knights and usually don't get hit at all.
I used the one at the bottom of the elevator. Trigger the elevator, run up, rotate, then go up the stairs past the guards and run past the two royal guards in the hall.

Sullichin

Improved framerate in blighttown? omfgggg best change yet!
Well I suppose improved online is better

Why do I feel like we're gonna have to wait like 2 months for this patch lol

Question, for the knights honor trophy and the ones like collect all miracles, do all items have to be obtained in one save file? What if I started another save, got the miracles I missed, but not all of the ones I had in my other file - would I get the trophy?

I don't really care about trophies too much, but It's nice to give myself some new objectives.

EDIT: skeletons and ghosts will drop souls now! YES! there goes another one of my complaints! Wish they wouldn't nerf pyro tho oh well :(

astroturfing said:
wtf? what?! a rare and random glowing crab thingy that can one-shot players?

what a crazy wonderful game. i have not seen that in the +100 hours i've been playing.

I ran into two of these in my 140 hours. Both in the back half of the archives.
The first one obliterated me during an invasion -- I thought I just got nailed by the archers. Then I went back and was trying to clear stuff out... and I saw it shooting spines at me on the floor... I murdered the little bastard, but the loot was weak.

def sim

Zzoram said:
Blame MSFT.

They charge publishers if they use more than the 2 free title updates they get.

US/EU got 1.03 as their first patch, and will likely get 1.05 as their second. Japan got every one because it's PS3 only in Japan so they don't have to patch the 360 version in Japan.

What does that have to do with anything? Bandai Namco is a big company, they will pay the fee just like anyone. It's most likely certification (which both Sony/MS do for each region IIRC), Bandai Namco being incompetent, or both.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Has anyone else run into the "black phantom" version of the Skeleton Beasts in the Tomb of Giants? I just had a run-in with two of them and they seemed super-powered, but I wasn't clear on the conditions under which you run into them, since it's not in the official guide and not in the wiki.

Sullichin said:
Question, for the knights honor trophy and the ones like collect all miracles, do all items have to be obtained in one save file?

Cannot confirm but that's what I'm assuming. Would be kinda cool if we could stack save files like that; could make different builds with different specific trophy/rare item aims.

Sullichin

Geek said:
Has anyone else run into the "black phantom" version of the Skeleton Beasts in the Tomb of Giants? I just had a run-in with two of them and they seemed super-powered, but I wasn't clear on the conditions under which you run into them, since it's not in the official guide and not in the wiki.

maybe someone in the gravelord covenant summoned them into your world?

Never heard of those drift items/vagrants before.. wow, this game has so much to it. Found a video online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSfUPJZo7E

lol that guy is in tomb of giants with 98 humanity.

def sim

Geek said:

Maybe a freak accident allowed a gravelord servant to "infect" your world. It's normally buggy, but it sounds like someone managed to make it work. You will have to find a summon sign or somesuch in your area to invade and kill the person messing with you.

Minamu

Dresden said:
Gold hemmed is all you need for S&O.
It's not even a fair fight on ng+ :( In 7 tries, I've managed to reach the Orstein part once and then he electro-stabbed me to death. Good times :) With the upcoming gold hemmed nerf etc, there must be another set of armor I should upgrade to, right?

Dresden

Minamu said:
It's not even a fair fight on ng+ :( In 7 tries, I've managed to reach the Orstein part once and then he electro-stabbed me to death. Good times :) With the upcoming gold hemmed nerf etc, there must be another set of armor I should upgrade to, right?
You should be using something else in ng+, I agree, but the thing is armor isn't going to help you in S&O, especially on ng+. Just go naked for all it matters, mobility is king in that fight. Getting the Darkwood Grain ring is probably the biggest boost for the battle.

Minamu

Dresden said:
You should be using something else in ng+, I agree, but the thing is armor isn't going to help you in S&O, especially on ng+. Just go naked for all it matters, mobility is king in that fight. Getting the Darkwood Grain ring is probably the biggest boost for the battle.
I'm trying to reach chaos covenant lvl 2 at the moment so that'll have to wait, I think. I might've been rushing to beat them, and that killed me, though. Will try again with some more hp later on ^^ But alas, some new armor and something other than a fire gargoyle axe+10 would be nice.

Minamu said:

I just wore the Havel's Armor, Wolf Ring, and Crystal Ring Shield+5 them both to death. If you take Solare into that fight with you it shouldn't be that difficult.

NG++ is where it got trickier for me.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
rance said:
Maybe a freak accident allowed a gravelord servant to "infect" your world. It's normally buggy, but it sounds like someone managed to make it work. You will have to find a summon sign or somesuch in your area to invade and kill the person messing with you.
Ooooh... That's totally it. I was 160 hours into the game before I'd ever seen that happen so I was VERY confused.

Geek said:
Ooooh... That's totally it. I was 160 hours into the game before I'd ever seen that happen so I was VERY confused.

Good luck with that; the one time I had it happen was in the catacombs and i couldn't find the sign ANYWHERE.

--

For S&O in NG++, I needed Solaire to stand a chance.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
corrosivefrost said:
Good luck with that; the one time I had it happen was in the catacombs and i couldn't find the sign ANYWHERE.
No need to. I took out those BP skeleton beasts and killed Nito, never to return to Tomb of the Giants again.

Zimbardo

i posted this in the other patch thread by mistake, but ...

man o man ...4 kings on new game +++ (3 or 4 pluses, i kinda lost count) are friggin tough.

huge damage they do. on 4 tries so far, i only beat one of them. dunno if i'll be able to do it ...not on my own anyway.

anyone experience them a few new games into it? they are ridiculous.

roxya

For the Chaos Servant covenant, the wiki says 10 humanity = level 1, 30 = level 2. Is that total or per level? i.e. do I need to give 30 or 40 to get level 2?

Cloudius12 said:

That must be what I ran into in the Crystal Cave today. I was on an invisible bridge (fuck whoever thought those were a good idea, by the way) and there was this odd thing that hadn't been there before on my previous playthrough. I fireballed it and got a Twin Humanities, though, so.

I'm hoping I can beat the game before the 1.04 patch comes through on 360. All I have left now is Tomb of Giants and Lost Izalith. But from what I've heard, :\

Sullichin

man.. i have a few complaints about this game from a technical and a design standpoint, but this is a great example of a game that's way better than the sum of its parts. i'm "only" up to Sen's on NG+, but I already sunk > 100 hours into this game and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.. I can't think of another game that hooked me quite like this. I play it way too much, and it is consuming much my free time. I realize I also post way too much in this thread lol. I've beaten other games (Uncharted, Batman) since I got this, and while I loved both of those, I spent more time in Dark Souls doing next to nothing than I did in the main modes of those games. And I still feel like a fucking amateur in this game.

I couldn't get this into Demons Souls, mostly because of how healing items were handled, but I recognized its genius. I'm really glad I decided to give this one a go despite hitting a wall in DeS.

In this run through I'm helping people co-op bosses over and over and it never gets old. So much fun. I can't wait until the patch so I can hopefully get summoned more often. Too bad my Chaos fireball will do less damage then.

I lost 18 humanity last night :(

Speevy

Banned
Has anyone created a video of what the several new game plusses looks like?

I would be interested in seeing how much damage the enemies do, because characters certainly aren't able to be leveled up to account for it.

I'm at over 200 hours played (some of that is idling though) and I'm only just properly getting into the pvp covenants\invading. Stopped levelling at sl90 and have just been working on equipment throughout ng+. Think I'm going to start levelling again to 110/120 soon. Just opened up the kiln but I'm going to wait for the patch before I go into ng++.

Speevy said:
Has anyone created a video of what the several new game plusses looks like?

I would be interested in seeing how much damage the enemies do, because characters certainly aren't able to be leveled up to account for it.

The biggest jump is supposed to be the one into ng+, every cycle after that isn't such a big change. But yeah, I do wonder how hard you're eventually able to make it. Must be some kind of cap somewhere surely.

Which bonfire do people put there summon signs down at for S&O? That video makes it seem like the one after the Archers with SunBro?

Pejo

corrosivefrost said:
I ran into two of these in my 140 hours. Both in the back half of the archives.
The first one obliterated me during an invasion -- I thought I just got nailed by the archers. Then I went back and was trying to clear stuff out... and I saw it shooting spines at me on the floor... I murdered the little bastard, but the loot was weak.

I also got murdered by one of these things, I just assumed it was a gravelord servant (since i had never seen one of those either) and that someone just got a sweet eye of death. I also saw mine at the back of the archives while i was doing my 20-30 runs to get that triple xbow on the bookshelf.

Speevy

Banned
Quote said:
Which bonfire do people put there summon signs down at for S&O? That video makes it seem like the one after the Archers with SunBro?

You can put them on the path leading to the giant staircase.

It's pretty obvious because that section of brick stops and if you pass it your sign disappears.

Speevy

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
The biggest jump is supposed to be the one into ng+, every cycle after that isn't such a big change. But yeah, I do wonder how hard you're eventually able to make it. Must be some kind of cap somewhere surely.

Well my NG+ character is level 220 with over 2,100 HP full armor, and the enemies still hurt me plenty when I make a mistake.

Leunam

Uyg7o.png

tokkun

Air Zombie Meat said:
The biggest jump is supposed to be the one into ng+, every cycle after that isn't such a big change.

Yeah, that's true, but sometimes the small increases can make a difference. For example, when you go to NG++ you can no longer kill a skeleton dog with a Great Fireball.

Speevy said:
Well my NG+ character is level 220 with over 2,100 HP full armor, and the enemies still hurt me plenty when I make a mistake.

A lot of thats because of the diminishing returns you get on stats over 40 or so, getting to sl200 from sl100 for example boosts your stats way less than going from 1 to 100.

What I was trying to say is that NG+ is a big jump in difficulty (enemy damage and hp) from NG, but from NG+ to NG++ the difficulty only increases slightly.

tokkun said:
Yeah, that's true, but sometimes the small increases can make a difference. For example, when you go to NG++ you can no longer kill a skeleton dog with a Great Fireball.

Yeah I can imagine. Not looking forward to four kings next cycle. Struggled enough this time round.

roxya

Quote said:

I was told the one where Solaire is, and it worked well. As a human, I found two people to summon right away. Now as a summonee... I was getting lots of action earlier, but right now I'm not getting much here :< It does seem to be the best spot as it's only 2 silver knights away from the boss (not including the archer and giant knights just in front of the fog).

Aselith

Air Zombie Meat said:
I'm at over 200 hours played (some of that is idling though) and I'm only just properly getting into the pvp covenants\invading. Stopped levelling at sl90 and have just been working on equipment throughout ng+. Think I'm going to start levelling again to 110/120 soon. Just opened up the kiln but I'm going to wait for the patch before I go into ng++.

It caps at +7 according to the guide.

JVIDICAN

I'm guessing some spells make you invincible during a portion of their animation. I got backstabed by a invader in the middle of a great combustion. The back stab animation took over, but I received no damage. lol.

TommyT said:
They're talking about the new game + cap...

But yes, your statement is true.

I'm at NG++... and yes that is the cap. You can't get higher than +6 in a single playthrough unless you have someone drop you their spare firekeeper souls.

BTW, Top 20 in the 360 Book of the Guilty. ;) SL120 PvP character. It is a lot harder to get invasions at that level so I find that to be quite the accomplishment. I don't think there is anyone within 40 levels of my character in the Top 50. They all seem to be low levels to get a higher invasion rate. And at SL120 I'm fighting 400+/max level guys almost every fight.

Air Zombie Meat said:
We weren't talking about estus though, just how many times the difficulty will increase with each new game cycle.

Well in that case it is supposed to be like the 6th playthrough... so NG+++++... maybe NG++++++.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom