• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

Nope, all melee haha. I was getting better at parrying him. I'll try again tomorrow .pure melee is more satisfying since I used mostly magic in demons souls

tokkun

elty said:
I just killed Kirk but then got killed by those carpa demons in that stupid demon's ruin. Am I screwed with his drop?

If this was your 2nd time fighting him, you missed out on the barbed sword. Kill him again in Lost Izalith and you should be able to get his armor.

elty

I just killed Kirk but then got killed by those carpa demons in that stupid demon's ruin. Am I screwed with his drop?

elty said:
Demon's Ruin sucks

I did that section before in about 20 minutes

Now, Lost Izalith sucks. Grab a pair of shades

tokkun said:
If this was your 2nd time fighting him, you missed out on the barbed sword. Kill him again in Lost Izalith and you should be able to get his armor.

twice? I killed him in Demon Ruins and was hollow for all of LI

I want that thorny armor ;_;

AllenShrz

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

So after playing this game for over 40hrs, having a lvl 70, I'm about to fight the last boos for the first time. So I go to the serpent to be transported by it and end this game.

At the time he eats me I got DC from PSN and then I got kick out the title screen, no big deal, just load again and thats it right? NO! When I try to load the save file Im stuck in nowheres land! its just gray, I cant use any items and after 5 sec the PS3 just freeze and I have to reset the console.

Fuck this shit!

I could be more angry if not because later that day I was with a super hot girl for hours and hours. But still!! I could have the beautiful girl and finish this fucking game!

AllenShrz said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

So after playing this game for over 40hrs, having a lvl 70, I'm about to fight the last boos for the first time. So I go to the serpent to be transported by it and end this game.

At the time he eats me I got DC from PSN and then I got kick out the title screen, no big deal, just load again and thats it right? NO! When I try to load the save file Im stuck in nowheres land! its just gray, I cant use any items and after 5 sec the PS3 just freeze and I have to reset the console.

Fuck this shit!

I could be more angry if not because later that day I was with a super hot girl for hours and hours. But still!! I could have the beautiful girl and finish this fucking game!
That sucks man, I wish it wouldn't take you back to the main menu if you disconnected from PSN for any reason.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
AllenShrz said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Fuck this shit!

Did you try using the Dark Sign from within the inventory menu or it simply wouldn't let you access the menu?

Giard

Stupid question time...I fell down a pit in Lost Izalith (where there's the Red Titanite Slab). I have no idea how to get out of there. I found some stairs on both sides to go to an upper level, but that's not high enough.

Someone help me please :(

...everytime I ask a question, I find the answer 5 seconds after. NVM.

tokkun

toasty_T said:
twice? I killed him in Demon Ruins and was hollow for all of LI

I want that thorny armor ;_;

You have to kill him 3 times for the armor.

1. The Depths
2. Demon Ruins
3. Lost Izalith

AllenShrz

bone_and_sinew said:
Did you try using the Dark Sign from within the inventory menu or it simply wouldn't let you access the menu?

I cant use or change any item. It just wont allow me.

I can only walk in this endless gray screen for 5 sec then the PS3 dies.

NeoCross

I really can't wait until 1.05 hits, or any patch as long as the fix the fucking fog ring. Almost everyone I invaded in Anor Londo wore the Fog Ring, except for this one dude who actually bowed and then we proceeded to fight like gentelmen.

I even invaded this one guy who was about to go inside Beavis and Butthead's room, and had two white phantoms with him. The two whites immediately turned around and went after me, the host hid behind a pillar and equipped his fog ring, lol. Managed to kill the to whites though, then I got stabbed in the back :(

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Any tips on where to drop my summon sign for O&S? This is the first boss I'm not gettin any summons with..was gettin them crazy in Painted World. Should I drop it all the way back by the first Anor Londo fire by the elevator? Or just in front of the fog? Not sure where people are coming from, the bonfire inside the castle or out.

JVIDICAN

worldrevolution said:
Any tips on where to drop my summon sign for O&S? This is the first boss I'm not gettin any summons with..was gettin them crazy in Painted World. Should I drop it all the way back by the first Anor Londo fire by the elevator? Or just in front of the fog? Not sure where people are coming from, the bonfire inside the castle or out.
Outside the elevator or by the bonfire in the cathedral are your best bets.

Aselith

Dark Souls got me hype for some other From RPG's so I'm getting Shadow Tower brand new on Ebay for 16 buck + shipping and I'm working on King's Field: The Ancient City. It's gonna be a From year for me! :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Mortrialus said:
Platinum Get!

Nice. How many runthroughs for you? Even though it's about the same as Demon's (3.5) to plat..I've seen a lot of numbers rangin from 3-5. Personally the trophies feel a bit easier in this one since there's only a few "multiuse" souls and the online covenants can technically be done offline.

worldrevolution said:
Actually, I'd try the bonfire where SunBro was chilling near, right after the achers. Believe it or not the run from there to the fog wall is very short once you open up a short cut (the room with the dragon heads mounted on the wall).

I finally beat S&O tonight after summoning a random and we killed O last! It's such an easy fight when someone can distract one of the bosses. I'm glad I did it tonight so that I can take a rest now to play Skyrim and know I'll be back. I've been stressing about S&O for a couple days now that I might have just given up for good.

worldrevolution said:
Nice. How many runthroughs for you? Even though it's about the same as Demon's (3.5) to plat..I've seen a lot of numbers rangin from 3-5. Personally the trophies feel a bit easier in this one since there's only a few "multiuse" souls and the online covenants can technically be done offline.

It was five or six because of online sucking and I needed the Darkmoon Blade covenant miracle.

Facism

I still have an itch to play this game after completing a NG++ weeks and getting a platinum (only ever do it for rare games i love).

Will probably do so when they patch the multi to work. I would say the online was a ghost town for me, but that would require actual ghosts of other players doing their thing ingame.

IrishNinja

crap, i thought i'd made the greatsword of astoria, but this one requires intel and hurts ghosts...coulda sworn i made it from a broken sword or hilt or something at +10. how do you make the right one? i really dont wanna fuck this up and have to finish the game a 3rd time.

deim0s said:
Never met him in Demon Ruins, but flattened him in Izalith. Where would I find his armour?

if it unlocks, i think it's back by the spider covenant.

ps congrats Mortrialus! halfway through play 2, can't wait to get mine.

IrishNinja said:
crap, i thought i'd made the greatsword of astoria, but this one requires intel and hurts ghosts...coulda sworn i made it from a broken sword or hilt or something at +10. how do you make the right one? i really dont wanna fuck this up and have to finish the game a 3rd time.

if it unlocks, i think it's back by the spider covenant.

ps congrats Mortrialus! halfway through play 2, can't wait to get mine.

This is the second game I've ever cared about getting platinum, and the first time I've achieved it. The previous game was Demon's Souls, but you know, Pure Blade Stone.

IrishNinja

god, i had the worst luck with pure bladestone. shit took days, but god it was so satisfying when it happened. if that's all that's stopping you, you gotta go back sometime! stick with the pure black 4-1 (i think it was) farming spot, it'll happen!

I'm an expert

Mortrialus said:
This is the second game I've ever cared about getting platinum, and the first time I've achieved it. The previous game was Demon's Souls, but you know, Pure Blade Stone.

If you're around SL200 I can drop the Pure Blade Stone for you anytime. =P

I LOVED the first part of Anor Londo. The style and the feeling of it getting smaller and smaller as you unlocked the shortcuts. I wrote before, didn't get the fuss over the archers. Killed them on my second try.

worldrevolution said:
If you're around SL200 I can drop the Pure Blade Stone for you anytime. =P

I LOVED the first part of Anor Londo. The style and the feeling of it getting smaller and smaller as you unlocked the shortcuts. I wrote before, didn't get the fuss over the archers. Killed them on my second try.

Nah my character is much higher than that just from grinding them. I've spent 7+ hours grinding them to no avail. Thank god they fixed that in Dark Souls.

Nose Master said:
Smough/Ornstein are the worst. :(. I have no ranged attacks.
Even if you have ranged attacks, Ornstein can close the gap between you and him very easily. Make sure you kill Ornstein first, use pillars as blockades when you need them. Just get your best melee weapon and go to town. (and by go to town I mean plan your attacks very carefully)

Nose Master said:

Hopefully you have a fast roll, though? If you kill Ornstein first then as long as you are a skilled roller you should be okay. When you see him about to do his lightning butt smash just roll away from him. Don't try to lock on either.

Nose Master

Dark Phoenix said:
Even if you have ranged attacks, Ornstein can close the gap between you and him very easily. Make sure you kill Ornstein first, use pillars as blockades when you need them. Just get your best melee weapon and go to town. (and by go to town I mean plan your attacks very carefully)

Spoilers. I want Ornies spear, though :'(. I have pretty shit weapons, too. Lightning Spear +3 or whatever it is, is my best. And that does about 50 HP a pop. I thought it was lightning resistance, but, Drake does about 35 a hit.

worldrevolution said:

I had the same problem (a few pages back). Got no summons in AL, but plenty in Painted World. What SL are you?

In general, summons are really strange, it seems to be different rules depending on if you summon or if you're getting summoned.
Last night in Crystal Cave, I didn't get summoned once, but I could see up to 5 signs on the ground.
Then I moved to Lost Izalith, I got summoned like 5 times, but never once saw a sign on the ground.

Livanh

Quote said:
Actually, I'd try the bonfire where SunBro was chilling near, right after the achers. Believe it or not the run from there to the fog wall is very short once you open up a short cut (the room with the dragon heads mounted on the wall).

fastet way form the sunbro bonfire: go the stairs up for about one round, jump over the rail, tada :)

Nose Master said:
Spoilers. I want Ornies spear, though :'(. I have pretty shit weapons, too. Lightning Spear +3 or whatever it is, is my best. And that does about 50 HP a pop. I thought it was lightning resistance, but, Drake does about 35 a hit.

Make Queelag's Fury Sword with a +10 curved sword. This sort of requires you already have one fully upgraded otherwise you might need to grind a bit. They don't seem to have much of a resistance to fire I've found. I tried to take out super Ornstein with pure melee but I couldn't figure out how to not get hit. Much easier as a pyromancer

Oh and Ornstein's spear isn't that good. I was pretty syked on getting it too but when I finally got it I went back to my +10 Fire Partizan

toasty_T said:
I tried to take out super Ornstein with pure melee but I couldn't figure out how to not get hit. Much easier as a pyromancer

Block, block, block. Only lower the shield to regen stamina.
You can block EVERYTHING except the lightning impale move (and the buttstomp lightning maybe, but that's less of a problem).

Once you have the defense down, it's just about learning when it's safe to attack.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Cloudius12 said:
Watching some pure melee videos on S&O, he made that fight look so easy :/
I finally beat these jerks last night. It took me a while but I finally got the right amount of defense, offense and mobility using Stone armor, a +10 Halberd and Havel's ring. The Halberd was key for me as it did good damage, was fairly quick in recovery, and against Smough, its reach allowed me to keep a distance, bait out an attack, then move in quickly for a strike.

As pure melee, this was my toughest fight, but in retrospect I would have upgraded my Halberd (and used it!) much sooner. I was getting destroyed trying to win with my trusty Zweihander but it was just too slow.

IrishNinja

i notice when i die in PVP and it asks if i want to indite the guy, i select "yes" before the time runs out, but still have the same # of those items after doing so. am i doing shit wrong, how are you supposed to go about this?

scosher

IrishNinja said:
i notice when i die in PVP and it asks if i want to indite the guy, i select "yes" before the time runs out, but still have the same # of those items after doing so. am i doing shit wrong, how are you supposed to go about this?

Nah you indicted him. It just doesn't consume the item. Pretty dumb that you can buy multiple slips. I bought like 10 the first playthrough till I realized this.

TommyT

Nose Master said:

Not necessary.

Nose Master said:

Spoilers?

Lightning Spear +3 is good to kill Smough, he's weak to lightning; Ornstein is weak to fire, so making the Fury Sword could be beneficial, but not necessary. If you're going to track that down and get it, might as well get the Dark Wood Grain Ring as well. You can go through absolution to negate any negative effects from getting it, so why not?

SchleimanTank said:
Block, block, block. Only lower the shield to regen stamina.
You can block EVERYTHING except the lightning impale move (and the buttstomp lightning maybe, but that's less of a problem).

Once you have the defense down, it's just about learning when it's safe to attack.

Constantly blocking vs Ornstein is not really recommended (well personally). You won't have much stamina to attack, and since you're doing crap damage that is going to draw the fight out even longer. Depending on your level, stamina, and shield your best bet is to just dodge.

So, once you defeat Smough and he goes super get in as close as you can. At close range you can easily roll-dodge everything. If you have the Dark Wood Grain Ring, it's even easier. The only move you have to worry about here is the "butt stomp" which will take a couple of rolls to avoid.

-Go in sub 25% weight (or at least have to roll speed equivalent)
-Stay close to Ornstein
-Dodge everything, roll away from stomp
-Poke until dead

It's really that simple. If you ever need to heal you can put a pillar between you and him then chug an estus. Get as close as you can again and repeat. Block while getting close obviously because it's harder to dodge his attacks at range.

.GqueB.

Banned
NeoCross said:
I really can't wait until 1.05 hits, or any patch as long as the fix the fucking fog ring. Almost everyone I invaded in Anor Londo wore the Fog Ring, except for this one dude who actually bowed and then we proceeded to fight like gentelmen.

I even invaded this one guy who was about to go inside Beavis and Butthead's room, and had two white phantoms with him. The two whites immediately turned around and went after me, the host hid behind a pillar and equipped his fog ring, lol. Managed to kill the to whites though, then I got stabbed in the back :(
I don’t get why people complain about the fog ring. I don’t personally use it (because I DO hate the idea of it) but I can see why someone would.

You're invading my game. Im trying to get through a level and you're walking in to my game to interrupt that. I may have souls. I may have humanity. I may have spent a lot of time getting to where I am so I really don’t wanna deal with you. Now I have to turn around, wait for your ass and equip whatever PvP setup I have going. I typically fight the good fight but I do often have the urge to put on that ring. I don’t want to fight you, I want to continue playing so I can get to the next shortcut and not have to deal with (for example) those fucking archers in Andor Londo again. So naturally, people are going to do all they can to stay alive and that ring obviously helps.

I only invade as part of the Forrest Covenant because I know, typically, people are there to be invaded as its just a glorified PvP arena. And even if they arent waiting, I know there's very little risk to the player as they probably lit the bonfire and can easily go back to get their souls.

But there are those who use the ring in the forrest and THAT I cannot defend. Id rather just fight straight up whether I be the invader or the invaded.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
It's a trend, I'm sorry. :)

Anyway, on the subject of Estus Flasks, you should be able to do a +7 Estus in one playthrough:
Undead Parish, Blighttown, New Londo, Duke's Archives, Firelink Shrine Soul, Anor Lando Soul, Chaos Covenant Soul
. Well, I guess not really since you're lacking a Fire Keeper this way but, hey, you can have all the souls for it!
There's one in
Duke's Archives
? I don't remember getting one there, but I'm on
+4 Estus
on my first playthrough without killing any fire keepers, so I guess I found it.

TommyT

Akuun said:
There's one in
Duke's Archives
? I don't remember getting one there, but I'm on
+4 Estus
on my first playthrough without killing any fire keepers, so I guess I found it.

It's where you free the person trapped in a cell...
Big Hat Logan

Are the orbs also fixed in 1.05 or do they still never work? Been using the Blue Eye Orb for two hours now constantly on top of the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring and only one successful invasion so far. :(

It's also weird that I only invade dudes who are significantly worse than me (despite having higher level armor and weapons) or dudes who just instantly completely obliterate me.

.GqueB. said:
I don’t get why people complain about the fog ring. I don’t personally use it (because I DO hate the idea of it) but I can see why someone would.

You're invading my game. Im trying to get through a level and you're walking in to my game to interrupt that. I may have souls. I may have humanity. I may have spent a lot of time getting to where I am so I really don’t wanna deal with you. Now I have to turn around, wait for your ass and equip whatever PvP setup I have going. I typically fight the good fight but I do often have the urge to put on that ring. I don’t want to fight you, I want to continue playing so I can get to the next shortcut and not have to deal with (for example) those fucking archers in Andor Londo again. So naturally, people are going to do all they can to stay alive and that ring obviously helps.

I only invade as part of the Forrest Covenant because I know, typically, people are there to be invaded as its just a glorified PvP arena. And even if they arent waiting, I know there's very little risk to the player as they probably lit the bonfire and can easily go back to get their souls.

But there are those who use the ring in the forrest and THAT I cannot defend. Id rather just fight straight up whether I be the invader or the invaded.

My rule for invading is to try and make it as fun as possible for the person I'm invading. I like to think of myself as a glorified enemy in their game and don't really give a shit if I win or lose. I bow to them, let them deal with whatever enemies they're fighting before I attack and try my best to fight fair. I might resort to sneakier tactics if they have two phantom helpers though :)

A lot of people (like myself) actually enjoy being invaded, I've had a bunch of "gg" messages or people thanking me for a good fight, no rage messages yet. If someone cheeses me, whatever, I just die to it and move on. Also, it's easy enough to avoid invasions if you really don't want to deal with them (stay hollow, way of white covenant or even disconnecting).

Although fog ring and twop are cheesy and I choose not to use them for that reason I have a hard time getting angry at people that are just using items\spells they bought as presented to them in the game. I mean, do they even know its considered unfair? The people camping spawns and using both to destroy you before you can even move do for sure, but people just playing the game normally, I'm not so sure. I get more annoyed at from for not balancing them correctly. People using strong magic shield for invincibility however, they have to know they're glitching. Anyway, I'll be glad when (if?) we finally see the patch to remove these frustrations.

I'd also say to anyone put off by stories of glitchers and cheese in pvp (like I was for ages), in my experience they've been in the minority of people I've fought. I've just been doing darkmoon ring\blue orb invasions though, maybe it's different elsewhere.

.GqueB. said:

I don't mind the fog ring. It really doesn't bother me that much. At least in the forest, I am still able to see where they are and just kill them anyway. Yeah, not being able to lock on sucks but it's not like they're INVISIBLE... they're just harder to see and you have to pay attention more. In other areas it may be more difficult, and if you get baited into the woods and have to deal with PVE enemies you haven't dispatched prior to getting invaded than yeah it could get really annoying. I just.... don't let them bait me *shrug*. Eventually they come and face me at the fog door near the bonfire or they use that item to return to their worlds like the little bitches they are!

It does surprise me how few people are bowing before fights though. I have only experienced two truly cheap players so far (still killed them), but even the normal ones are usually not bowing. I really like that about PVP, and I wish more people did it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I know crossposting is frowned upon this forum but I have to post this here too in case some of you don't get to see it in the patch thread:

Some people are getting this email in response to inquiries about the patches:

Thank you for contacting Namco Bandai's Customer Support Department.

The upcoming update for Dark Souls for both platforms is currently going through the localization process at this time. We're working to include all of the fixes and changes from the updates. Unfortunately, we do not have a determined date for the release of the Dark Souls update for the North American region at this time. Please continue checking the official website and the Facebook page for Dark Souls periodically for any details once they become available: http://www.preparetodie.com or http://www.facebook.com/darksouls

Regards,
Namco Bandai Games America Customer Support

sources: http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17916
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51620/t1687798-gd-welcome-to-dark-souls/17.htm
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/45799432#45803570 (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/f/2134/t/122023.aspx (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)

bone_and_sinew said:
I know crossposting is frowned upon this forum but I have to post this here too in case some of you don't get to see it in the patch thread:

Thank you for contacting Namco Bandai's Customer Support Department.

The upcoming update for Dark Souls for both platforms is currently going through the localization process at this time. We're working to include all of the fixes and changes from the updates. Unfortunately, we do not have a determined date for the release of the Dark Souls update for the North American region at this time. Please continue checking the official website and the Facebook page for Dark Souls periodically for any details once they become available: http://www.preparetodie.com or http://www.facebook.com/darksouls

Regards,
Namco Bandai Games America Customer Support

sources: http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17916
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51620/t1687798-gd-welcome-to-dark-souls/17.htm
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/45799432#45803570 (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/f/2134/t/122023.aspx (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)

yeah I saw it but I'm glad you posted it here anyway, I'm sure many aren't checking that thread. It's good to hear they aren't ignoring us. Now we just have to try and stay patient!!!

RyanDG

bone_and_sinew said:

Good stuff. The more people hassling them the better. As much as I love that the game went multiplatform, inherent restrictions in the console update process is not a friend to multiplatform titles in a lot of ways, especially for publishers who want to push the patches out in a uniform manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom