• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

AllenShrz said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

So after playing this game for over 40hrs, having a lvl 70, I'm about to fight the last boos for the first time. So I go to the serpent to be transported by it and end this game.

At the time he eats me I got DC from PSN and then I got kick out the title screen, no big deal, just load again and thats it right? NO! When I try to load the save file Im stuck in nowheres land! its just gray, I cant use any items and after 5 sec the PS3 just freeze and I have to reset the console.

Fuck this shit!

I could be more angry if not because later that day I was with a super hot girl for hours and hours. But still!! I could have the beautiful girl and finish this fucking game!
Fact: if you've been through the game before, a new character can beat the game in half the time or less with your honed skills and knowledge.

Do that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
.GqueB. said:
I don’t get why people complain about the fog ring. I don’t personally use it (because I DO hate the idea of it) but I can see why someone would.

You're invading my game. Im trying to get through a level and you're walking in to my game to interrupt that. I may have souls. I may have humanity. I may have spent a lot of time getting to where I am so I really don’t wanna deal with you. Now I have to turn around, wait for your ass and equip whatever PvP setup I have going. I typically fight the good fight but I do often have the urge to put on that ring. I don’t want to fight you, I want to continue playing so I can get to the next shortcut and not have to deal with (for example) those fucking archers in Andor Londo again. So naturally, people are going to do all they can to stay alive and that ring obviously helps.

I only invade as part of the Forrest Covenant because I know, typically, people are there to be invaded as its just a glorified PvP arena. And even if they arent waiting, I know there's very little risk to the player as they probably lit the bonfire and can easily go back to get their souls.

But there are those who use the ring in the forrest and THAT I cannot defend. Id rather just fight straight up whether I be the invader or the invaded.

I totally agree that if you're being invaded, you are entitled to defend yourself by any means necessary. If the aggressor is the one who uses cheap tactics, they are a dick.

Granted, I have almost no experience with PvP yet, but I was killed by a fog ring user as I was struggling through the Painted World, which I entered accidentally. If I could have, I would have destroyed that guy in the cheapest way possible and felt zero guilt about it.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I totally agree that if you're being invaded, you are entitled to defend yourself by any means necessary. If the aggressor is the one who uses cheap tactics, they are a dick.

Granted, I have almost no experience with PvP yet, but I was killed by a fog ring user as I was struggling through the Painted World, which I entered accidentally. If I could have, I would have destroyed that guy in the cheapest way possible and felt zero guilt about it.
Did you indict him? So far I have indicted only one person. Dude twop'd me then breathed fire until I was a crispy critter. The reason he got indicted, however, was the "come at me bro" gesture done over my corpse, like he was some badass with his cheap tactics.

I've been having a lot of fun with PvP lately. My two choice spots for invasions have been the forest and painted world.

Surprisingly last night I got 8 or so invasions in a row in the painted world. I honestly don't care much about winning as I do having fun. Lately I've been doing chameleon trickery and, in the painted world especially, it has been some of the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

Love how in the painted world chamelon turns you into a strung up pile of corpses!

My funniest invasion yet had to be when I invaded someone who was away and used chamelon to set a stack of corpses right in front of him when he returned. Him coming back looking at it like wtf then me rolling out and setting him a blaze was fucking priceless.

Anyone else have any fun pvp ideas for areas they have been invading?

Also using Chameleon when I was invaded in the tomb of the giants was even more priceless. I'm guessing invaders can't see when you have the light spell on cause I was sitting as a skeleton head with a light above me and the guy kept running past me until I rolled and kicked him off the cliff haha.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
I've been having a lot of fun with PvP lately. My two choice spots for invasions have been the forest and painted world.

Surprisingly last night I got 8 or so invasions in a row in the painted world. I honestly don't care much about winning as I do having fun. Lately I've been doing chameleon trickery and, in the painted world especially, it has been some of the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

Love how in the painted world chamelon turns you into a strung up pile of corpses!

My funniest invasion yet had to be when I invaded someone who was away and used chamelon to set a stack of corpses right in front of him when he returned. Him coming back looking at it like wtf then me rolling out and setting him a blaze was fucking priceless.

Anyone else have any fun pvp ideas for areas they have been invading?

Also using Chameleon when I was invaded in the tomb of the giants was even more priceless. I'm guessing invaders can't see when you have the light spell on cause I was sitting as a skeleton head with a light above me and the guy kept running past me until I rolled and kicked him off the cliff haha.
I'm really surprised I haven't seen a youtube montage of chameleon kills. Would be so funny! Set to "sabotage" by the beastie boys.

DigitalDevil said:
Did you indict him? So far I have indicted only one person. Dude twop'd me then breathed fire until I was a crispy critter. The reason he got indicted, however, was the "come at me bro" gesture done over my corpse, like he was some badass with his cheap tactics.

isn't that what the invaders want though? to get indicted, so they can go up ranks in the Book of the Guilty...

140.85 said:
Dark Souls: the movie. I love how From nails this type of aesthetic.
Haha, yes! I saw that guy with the horned helmet the other day and thought the same thing! I wonder if a dark souls movie could be successful? How would they implement the "death is education" mechanic?

A plot question since I have a thing for playing the game "in the right order".

I'm in New Londo Ruins and I've gotten the key to open up the Abyss.
From reading the forum, I know that i need to kill Sif to get the ring needed to enter the Abyss.

Who tells you to do that in the game? Did I miss talking to someone, or are you supposed to just
accidentally stumble upon the ring
while going around wrecking everything in sight like a good undead?

TommyT

SchleimanTank said:

From reading the forum, I know that i need to kill Sif to get the ring needed to enter the Abyss.

Who tells you to do that in the game? Did I miss talking to someone, or are you supposed to just

Doesn't Ingward talk about Artorias the Abysswalker? I'm pretty sure someone mentions it. Aside from that, it just kind of makes sense that you'd need to track down someone who was named the Abysswalker to find out information as to do things in the Abyss.

Jonsoncao

Banned
SchleimanTank said:

You have to kill Sif to get the ring that once belonged to a great knight(Artorias the Abysswalker)
for you to be able to traverse the Abyss.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I'm about to finish the game (
Lord Vessel is full and the door is open.
). Any advice on loose ends I should tie up before finishing? I've been through all optional dungeons, at a decent level and reasonably happy with the equipment I have. Should I finish using my boss souls or kill NPCs or something?

TommyT

Akuun said:
). Any advice on loose ends I should tie up before finishing? I've been through all optional dungeons, at a decent level and reasonably happy with the equipment I have. Should I finish using my boss souls or kill NPCs or something?

Kill all NPCs. There's no reason to have them alive at this point. This includes Fire Keepers* so you can pump your estus at the beginning of the next play through. Also, go back and kindle all bonfires to +20 as this will carry over as well.

Other than that, might want to spend an hour or so farming the Black Knights in that area for Titanite Chunks as that's the only place they're guaranteed per kill and respawn.

*Assuming your Firelink Shrine keeper is alive, you can pump your flask before the last boss. This will also give you more chugs on an estus as the Lord Vessel bondfire only gives you 5 estus drinks since it cannot be kindled further until the patch.

Ristlager

YOU CHEATED :( I caved in and used the dragonheadsoul glitch, got to the tomb of giants and died right before the first bonefire. And just said fuck it. It wasn't the difficulty that made me do it, but I have so limited playtime, that it would probably be christmas before I could see the ending in this game. So glitched myself 30 levels from 60 to 90. And guess what? I now find myself liking this game even more. Going trough this game feeling semi powerful is even better than constantly fearing for my life. I always thought the brutal difficulty is what makes this game so uniqe, but making it slightly easier (still dies a lot) realises how good this game is.

Akuun said:

Boss souls carry over so you don't need to use them now. You can kill all the npcs if you want, all your sin is absolved going into a new game so it won't matter. Other things you could do is farm some chunks from the knights in the kiln and go around kindling bonfires as they carry over into ng+. Also might be a good idea to pickup any slabs you've missed as they're very rare. Assuming you're interested in ng+ of course :)

TommyT

Ristlager said:
YOU CHEATED :( I caved in and used the dragonheadsoul glitch, got to the tomb of giants and died right before the first bonefire. And just said fuck it. It wasn't the difficulty that made me do it, but I have so limited playtime, that it would probably be christmas before I could see the ending in this game. So glitched myself 30 levels from 60 to 90. And guess what? I now find myself liking this game even more. Going trough this game feeling semi powerful is even better than constantly fearing for my life. I always thought the brutal difficulty is what makes this game so uniqe, but making it slightly easier (still dies a lot) realises how good this game is.

I'm the same way. My first character I glitched to see what it was like and enjoy the game as this was my first foray into a Souls game. Now that I have some time to relax and enjoy it I created a few new profiles and haven't glitched any levels.

For the record - anything that speeds up grinding I have no qualms with. If you use it maliciously then... that's a different story.

Sullichin

the only glitch/exploit i've used is farming in the forest. but the combat in this game is kinda all about exploiting the AI patterns, so it's kind of just an exaggerated version of that.

Akuun

Air Zombie Meat said:
Boss souls carry over so you don't need to use them now. You can kill all the npcs if you want, all your sin is absolved going into a new game so it won't matter. Other things you could do is farm some chunks from the knights in the kiln and go around kindling bonfires as they carry over into ng+. Also might be a good idea to pickup any slabs you've missed as they're very rare. Assuming you're interested in ng+ of course :)

Thanks. Yup, most likely interested in NG+, because there are some things that didn't go the way I wanted in this first playthrough. I'm also somewhat interested in starting a new game with a str/magic based character because my current character lacks int/faith/str, which means I'm interested in playing with magic/miracles/heavy weapons and armor more. :p

I'm gonna spare the
Daughter of Chaos
though. It's too sad; I can't do it. :(

scosher

Akuun said:

3 main things to-do before completing game if you plan on doing NG+:

1. Kill all NPC's for their drops. I even suggest using Dark Hand to take away their humanity before killing them.

2. Farm chunks from black knights in Kiln since there's no better farming place elsewhere for them. Need 15 to get one of each upgrade path, except 22 for normal titanite chunks (since there's Lightning, Crystal, and Normal +15), not to mention roughly 12-16 more if you want to upgrade your armor. Don't bother farming slabs, but make sure you got all the guaranteed ones in the playthrough and killed all 10 crystal lizards in Great Hollow.

3. Kindle bonfires if you want, but you'll find that now that you know the areas like the back of your hand, you can get by with 5 flasks, 10 at most.

TommyT

Akuun said:
I'm gonna spare the
Daughter of Chaos

You're ok with killing a dog who's protecting the grave of his master (he even limps!) but not ok with having someone think their sister is killing them? ;D

scosher

Sullichin said:
the only glitch/exploit i've used is farming in the forest. but the combat in this game is kinda all about exploiting the AI patterns, so it's kind of just an exaggerated version of that.

I had to abuse the Strong Magic Shield for Izalith. Screw those dinos and lava pools without it honestly. Izalith remains my least fav level, but thank god for the shortcut.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Akuun said:
Thanks. Yup, most likely interested in NG+, because there are some things that didn't go the way I wanted in this first playthrough. I'm also somewhat interested in starting a new game with a str/magic based character because my current character lacks int/faith/str, which means I'm interested in playing with magic/miracles/heavy weapons and armor more. :p

I'm gonna spare the
Daughter of Chaos

She's suffered long enough. Let her rest...

After working on the fight for several days, this morning I finally soloed Ornstein & Smough, with Ornstein last! That was a real learning process, and I could actually feel myself improving constantly.

SL 48, dex-oriented character. I was using Quelaag's Furysword +4, but I felt like I needed something with more range to kill Smough during the first part of the fight, so I made a Lightning Washing Pole +5. It did make the first part a lot easier, but then I switched back to Quelaag's for Super Ornstein.

Super Ornstein is an an amazing fight. He has so many ways to punish you that you can't afford to make a single mistake. You have to learn to read his every move.

The one move that I kept falling to was that lightning-impale grab that he does when you're up close. I don't know if it's unblockable or if I'm just bad, but I eventually learned to roll backwards out of range each time. Also, I added 1 more point in Vitality at some point which allowed me to survive that lightning stab with a tiny sliver of life left, if I had full health beforehand.

TommyT

CryingWolf said:
After working on the fight for several days, this morning I finally soloed Ornstein & Smough, with Ornstein last! That was a real learning process, and I could actually feel myself improving constantly.

SL 48, dex-oriented character. I was using Quelaag's Furysword +4, but I felt like I needed something with more range to kill Smough during the first part of the fight, so I made a Lightning Washing Pole +5. It did make the first part a lot easier, but then I switched back to Quelaag's for Super Ornstein.

Super Ornstein is an an amazing fight. He has so many ways to punish you that you can't afford to make a single mistake. You have to learn to read his every move.

The one move that I kept falling to was that lightning-impale grab that he does when you're up close. I don't know if it's unblockable or if I'm just bad, but I eventually learned to roll backwards out of range each time. Also, I added 1 more point in Vitality at some point which allowed me to survive that lightning stab with a tiny sliver of life left, if I had full health beforehand.

Both. It is unblockable, and you're just bad for getting hit by it ;). You figured it out though so that's how it's supposed to work! Congrats.

Akuun

scosher said:
3 main things to-do before completing game if you plan on doing NG+:

1. Kill all NPC's for their drops. I even suggest using Dark Hand to take away their humanity before killing them.

2. Farm chunks from black knights in Kiln since there's no better farming place elsewhere for them. Need 15 to get one of each upgrade path, except 22 for normal titanite chunks (since there's Lightning, Crystal, and Normal +15), not to mention roughly 12-16 more if you want to upgrade your armor. Don't bother farming slabs, but make sure you got all the guaranteed ones in the playthrough and killed all 10 crystal lizards in Great Hollow.

3. Kindle bonfires if you want, but you'll find that now that you know the areas like the back of your hand, you can get by with 5 flasks, 10 at most.
Thanks. I missed a lot of crystal lizards (ESPECIALLY IN THE GREAT HOLLOW) because I either couldn't figure out how to get to them or they kept scamming their way out because my arrows or sword swings simply missed.

And you're right; I barely kindled anything in this playthrough and I think only one or two bonfires really needed it.

TommyT said:
You're ok with killing a dog who's protecting the grave of his master (he even limps!) but not ok with having someone think their sister is killing them? ;D
Hey, killing
Sif and Quelaag
was self defense. Sparing this person is trying to make amends. :p

I'll be honest and say that I was totally indifferent to the whole thing until I got the Witch's Ring and heard her voice. It was totally unexpected and completely changed my opinion of her.

140.85 said:
4 Kings makes NG+ feel like NG-. >_<

SL 150 and he beats me like a stepchild.

4 Kings didn't give me any trouble, but I know how to dodge their attacks so that's probably why. All of their attacks can be dodged, you just have to adjust the camera rapidly to see what the other kings are doing so you can dodge their attacks too

SL71, haven't leveled up at all since entering NG+ and i'm PVPing at the final area now, lol.

Theres ten crystal lizards in the great hollow? Mind blown.

My only crimes to date have been snuggly glitching some twinkling titanite after I learned it was going to be buyable anyway (I've done my time with the clams dammit) and I used strong magic shield on bed of chaos in ng+.

Sullichin

scosher said:
I had to abuse the Strong Magic Shield for Izalith. Screw those dinos and lava pools without it honestly. Izalith remains my least fav level, but thank god for the shortcut.
i just ran past them, which is more difficult in the first area with dinos. once you get to the area that has the bonfire and a bunch of lava, i didn't think it was too bad.

TommyT said:
Both. It is unblockable, and you're just bad for getting hit by it ;). You figured it out though so that's how it's supposed to work! Congrats.

lol. Yeah, I was always trying to dodge to the side, but that move has some incredible tracking because it would always find me anyway. So finally I decided I could, you know... move away from him ;) I win Dark Souls!!

Gonna look good in Ornstein's armor! I hope the patch comes out soon, since it is getting buffed.

Sullichin said:
lol is it even possible to have him survive a summon? dude has a suicide wish going to hug gaping dragon

Solaire sucks at Gaping Dragon. Also, he is helpful in the first stage of O&S because he can distract one of them while you kill the other, but he is an incredible noob when it comes to Super Ornstein.

He just eats a few lightning AOEs and he's gone.

Akuun

Sullichin said:
lol is it even possible to have him survive a summon? dude has a suicide wish going to hug gaping dragon
You should have seen him take on the lava centipede.

CryingWolf said:
Gonna look good in Ornstein's armor! I hope the patch comes out soon, since it is getting buffed.
Ornstein's is awesome. I actually like how it's unupgradeable because I don't have to worry about finding medium armor, then going through the pain of upgrading it.

tokkun

Augemitbutter said:
also very cheesable
iron skin, heavy armor and couple of flasks.

That strategy works fine in NG, but not as well in NG+ and NG++. Even using the Crystal Ring Shield and a fully upgraded Zweihander it took me multiple tries.

Sullichin

Akuun said:
You should have seen him take on the lava centipede.

Ornstein's is awesome. I actually like how it's unupgradeable because I don't have to worry about finding medium armor, then going through the pain of upgrading it.

ahhaha does he walk into the lava?

I NEED Ornsteins armor, but i'm in NG+ and beating him last is so hard. I came so close with two phantoms... now I have no humanity :(

tokkun said:
That strategy works fine in NG, but not as well in NG+ and NG++. Even using the Crystal Ring Shield and a fully upgraded Zweihander it took me multiple tries.

i just used this tactic in NG+ because i didn't want to bother anymore, since i don't like that zone. no crystal shield used. 2H katana with end. regen shield on back.

Akuun

Sullichin said:
ahhaha does he walk into the lava?

I NEED Ornsteins armor, but i'm in NG+ and beating him last is so hard. I came so close with two phantoms... now I have no humanity :(

I'm not sure, but as soon as the centipede comes in close he just goes to town on it. I could've sworn he went on the lava a few times, but the whole fight is too confusing and close-up to see anything clearly.

I soloed S&O and cheesed super Ornstein with poison arrows, lol.

Akuun said:
I'm not sure, but as soon as the centipede comes in close he just goes to town on it. I could've sworn he went on the lava a few times, but the whole fight is too confusing and close-up to see anything clearly.

I soloed S&O and cheesed super Ornstein with poison arrows, lol.

I didn't even think of trying that... how long / how many arrows did that take? lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What alternatives are there to the Greatsword of Artorias (Cursed)? Just finished mining large titanite shards to upgrade a sword for this, and noticed it needs 24 STR and 18 Faith. I have 13 STR and 8 Faith, so that's a bit out of my reach for this play through.

Any other cursed weapons craftable, or should I just go into New Londo Ruins with transient curse?

And I don't know what I did to poor Onion Head, but I found him in
Lost Izalith, he jumped down into the pit of Chaos thingies and did really well - killed most of them and I helped with a couple. But he was really upset that I hadn't escaped, and killed himself
!

Akuun

CryingWolf said:
I didn't even think of trying that... how long / how many arrows did that take? lol

If you position yourself in a certain way, Super Ornstein stands and spams lightning bolts at you over and over, which are blocked by a broken pillar right in front of you. This lets you spam arrows at him, but it's not foolproof because he breaks the pattern eventually. He has so much health the poison alone wears off before it kills him, so you actually have poison him twice in the fight, and supplement the poison with regular arrows.

What I did was get him poisoned with like 3-5 poison arrows and then switched to regular arrows to help wear him down. The first time, he broke the pattern, timed out the poison, and I panicked. He killed me when he only had a few pixels of health left and was re-poisoned (ARGH). Got him the next try, though.

I don't remember exactly how many arrows I took, but it was probably something like 10-20 poison arrows and like... probably ~100-200 regular arrows? I was using a +10 Longbow with ~30ish dex, and I was shooting away for a while.

Anor Londo really taught me the value of poison arrows. Needless to say, I stocked up on those after I finished.

tokkun said:
That seems like it would be harder that just doing melee because you'd have to survive a lot longer.
I thought of ranging him after I spent a fight or two just blocking and dodging his melee, trying to find an opening but failing. I decided he was too dangerous to fight up close so I tried arrows.

Insaniac

is there any plan to deal with hackers so far? I've run in to at least 1 hacker every night while dueling in the forest and it pisses me off to no end. I usually end up jumping off the cliff or just turning my xbox off while I run away because I'm running low on humanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom