• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Insaniac said:
is there any plan to deal with hackers so far? I've run in to at least 1 hacker every night while dueling in the forest and it pisses me off to no end. I usually end up jumping off the cliff or just turning my xbox off while I run away because I'm running low on humanity

How can you tell?

Insaniac

140.85 said:
How can you tell?

they generally charge at me recklessly with out any regard for dodging my attacks, which all usually connect. When a 70 INT tin crystal catalyst, crystal homing soul mass connects and deal 0 damage, or a fully ugpraded pyro flame great fireball hits and does nothing, I am pretty sure thats a hacker.

edit: me no type good grammar

klee123

Hmmm, has anyone missed patches on their first playthrough? I went through the catacombs and didn't see Patches on the spiked bridge and after clearing the Catacombs I haven't seen him in the tomb of the giants either...

Futureman

I found my first blacksmith. He reinforced my weapon with a titanite shard that I had. I also have a titanite chunk, but it doesn't seem to let me use it. How do I use the chunk?

TommyT

klee123 said:
Hmmm, has anyone missed patches on their first playthrough? I went through the catacombs and didn't see Patches on the spiked bridge and after clearing the Catacombs I haven't seen him in the tomb of the giants either...

I never found him in the Catacombs, I ran into him all the time in the Tomb though. Are you at the place he's supposed to be at? It is dark in there, you might have missed him.

Futureman said:
I found my first blacksmith. He reinforced my weapon with a titanite shard that I had. I also have a titanite chunk, but it doesn't seem to let me use it. How do I use the chunk?

Read the description. Chunks only upgrade +10 weapons/armor I believe.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Futureman said:
Different types of titanite are only available for certain upgrade levels and weapon types.

Chunks are only for upgrading elemental weapons and normal weapons past +10, I think? I'm not sure but they might also be used for certain weapon ascensions.

Dresden

klee123 said:
I think you only see him at the spiked bridge if you haven't grabbed the lordvessel yet. At least that was the case for me.

klee123 said:
Same with me :(

Just beat pinwheel, what a joke. 4 hits with my fury sword +5, DONE.

Nora Kisaragi said:
4 Kings didn't give me any trouble, but I know how to dodge their attacks so that's probably why. All of their attacks can be dodged, you just have to adjust the camera rapidly to see what the other kings are doing so you can dodge their attacks too

SL71, haven't leveled up at all since entering NG+ and i'm PVPing at the final area now, lol.

So you're saying the purple tracking energy wave can be reliably avoided too? I can dodge all of 4K's physical attacks, the grab and the AoE, but that damn homing wave I just block with my shield and heal because it takes way too much to dodge unless I'm missing something.

Insaniac said:
they generally charge at me recklessly with out any regard for dodging my attacks, which all usually connect. When a 70 INT tin crystal catalyst, crystal homing soul mass connects and deal 0 damage, or a fully ugpraded pyro flame great fireball hits and does nothing, I am pretty sure thats a hacker.

Unless that guy in question put up Strong Magic Shield (which for our version is still glitched and makes people invincible, come out already patch 1.05) then yeah, I'd say that's a hacker. Shame, I've never run into a hacker on my game, only people using exploits. I'm on PS3 version though, so the environment may be different.

Dresden said:
I think you only see him at the spiked bridge if you haven't grabbed the lordvessel yet. At least that was the case for me.

I was at Anor Londo, all the way up to O&S, and then ended up going back and doing the Catacombs because I wanted the Rite of Kindling. I was surprised to not see Patches there, as I hadn't finished Anor Londo yet.

Also, more weirdness, after leaving Anor Londo to do the Catacombs and some other stuff and then coming back, Solaire was no longer at the bonfire near O&S, although his summon sign was still in its place.

Im_Special

Quest question, can you earn covenant rewards twice? Not on the same playthough I know, but in NG+ could I get extra copies of those covenant spells by ranking up, I would like to know before farming more of those Harpies and there horrid drop rate coins and eyes for Nito's miracles.

theta11

CryingWolf said:
I was at Anor Londo, all the way up to O&S, and then ended up going back and doing the Catacombs because I wanted the Rite of Kindling. I was surprised to not see Patches there, as I hadn't finished Anor Londo yet.

Also, more weirdness, after leaving Anor Londo to do the Catacombs and some other stuff and then coming back, Solaire was no longer at the bonfire near O&S, although his summon sign was still in its place.

As far as I know Patches only appears in the Catacombs if the Rhea and two clerics haven't left Firelink Shrine which usually happens after both bells have been rung.

Im_Special said:
Quest question, can you earn covenant rewards twice? Not on the same playthough I know, but in NG+ could I get extra copies of those covenant spells by ranking up, I would like to know before farming more of those Harpies and there horrid drop rate coins and eyes for Nito's miracles.

I'd also like to know this but my guess is no due to not getting Chaos Great Fireball or Lightning twice when I rejoined the covenants in NG+. And I also didn't get Chaos Storm a 2nd time when I releveled Chaos for the shortcut.

Can I just say that the Covenant achievements are crap for the most part and don't feel satisfying in the least?

I join a covenant, break it a second later and I get a trophy? Huh? It would have been really fun to have them be about accomplishing goals within each one. A lot of wasted opportunity there in my opinion.

BigAT

140.85 said:
Can I just say that the Covenant achievements are crap for the most part and don't feel satisfying in the least?

I join a covenant, break it a second later and I get a trophy? Huh? It would have been really fun to have them be about accomplishing goals within each one. A lot of wasted opportunity there in my opinion.
You don't even need to join, you can just say No when asked to join and still get the achievement.

TommyT

theta11 said:
As far as I know Patches only appears in the Catacombs if the Rhea and two clerics haven't left Firelink Shrine which usually happens after both bells have been rung.

You can see him before, and he'll sell you some stuff.

Eccocid

I got bored with this Fire Zweihander +4 .

Got access to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. But still can't get a weapon which is more powerful my zweihander. I am bored with that sword. I do like almost 400 damage per swing and fire damage. Checked some of the special swords they look nice but weak. Zweihander doesn't scale with stats anymore tho and i spent most of my points to Endurance and Vitality.

Should i focus on a str/dex weapon? What do you suggest?

Im_Special said:
Nope. Not even the same weapon iirc. eg Gravelord sword. I didn't receive a 2nd one after joining on NG+

Eccocid said:

Got access to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. But still can't get a weapon which is more powerful my zweihander. I am bored with that sword. I do like almost 400 damage per swing and fire damage. Checked some of the special swords they look nice but weak. Zweihander doesn't scale with stats anymore tho and i spent most of my points to Endurance and Vitality.

Quelaags fury sword. Scales with strength and dex plus fire damage. Also, damage scales with humanity.

scosher

Eccocid said:

If you focused mostly on End/Vit, stick with elemental weapons. If it's the moveset you don't like about the Zweihander, then try out others.

Also note, you can still improve a Fire Zweihander to +10.

140.85 said:

you get it mainly for the discovery. some are pretty well hidden.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man had one of THOSE sessions... thought I'd try S&O as a human with Solaire..invaded immediately...try again...summoning human..invaded.. sigh ok I'll try getting summoned. Get summoned by someone, get invaded, host dies to knights. Get summoned again, I get owned by Smough. Try S&O alone..get S down but then I had to learn Super O's moveset so in the end still die. One giant play session of nothing accomplished and a ton of humanity wasted. Oh yeah!

Love this game.

worldrevolution said:
Man had one of THOSE sessions... thought I'd try S&O as a human with Solaire..invaded immediately...try again...summoning human..invaded.. sigh ok I'll try getting summoned. Get summoned by someone, get invaded, host dies to knights. Get summoned again, I get owned by Smough. Try S&O alone..get S down but then I had to learn Super O's moveset so in the end still die. One giant play session of nothing accomplished and a ton of humanity wasted. Oh yeah!

Love this game.

That sounds just like me a few nights ago. But this morning I finally got Super Ornstein down. Don't worry, you will, too.

worldrevolution said:

Love this game.
S&O was tough for sure. I kept summoning people who decided they wanted to stock around rather than get straight to the boss. I kept having to use four + estus flasks before even getting through the boss door. Thanks guys :/

How 'bout we just run past the enemies this time? No? Ok... YES, I know there is a titanite demon there. NO, I DONT WANT TO...... •Sigh•, heal heal heal....

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Oh yeah, I know I'm gettin them down today. S&O are really easy actually, just gotta work on my patience with S's jump attack. Was just loving the fact that everything I tried this morning went wrong. I just want a few more sun medals too! Was my fault for dying when summoned though..I hate being a bad helper soul.

Also I want to make sure I get S down first which is why I'm gonna avoid summoning anyone for now. And Solaire won't let me summon him anymore. =(

worldrevolution said:
Oh yeah, I know I'm gettin them down today. S&O are really easy actually, just gotta work on my patience with S's jump attack. Was just loving the fact that everything I tried this morning went wrong. I just want a few more sun medals too! Was my fault for dying when summoned though..I hate being a bad helper soul.

Also I want to make sure I get S down first which is why I'm gonna avoid summoning anyone for now. And Solaire won't let me summon him anymore. =(
Man, O is tough on his own... He shanked me with that spear every time. Good luck!

I'm an expert

Yeah it doesn't help I'm doing all of this with a baby climbing all over me. If anything I'm running out of pyromancy charges by the time I get to O. I need to find the right combo of spells for this one. Chaos Fireball is only 4 but man it eats S up.

I'm a member of DPDS too (dads playing dark souls). In fact, my fourteen month old boy decided to take a header off my chair this afternoon while I was in the painted world! He just laughed and crawled away :/

He actually enjoys watching me play though. When I finally best stray demon a couple weeks ago he started clapping for me. Feels good man.

kyubajin

Had my first couple of invasions yesterday, I've put some 100+ hours in the game but since I was undead 90% of my 1st playthrough I never experienced this.

So I'm in NG+ at the Depths and get invaded. My heart starts pumping like crazy and I see the guy, I bow and he does the same. I switch my weapon from Fire Gargoyle Tail Axe +10 to Black Knight Greataxe +5 and kill the guy in 1 bloody R1 swing... most anticlimactic fight ever :D

Then got invaded 2 more times and my invaders likewise succumb to no more than 3 consecutive hits from the BK Greataxe... So, either the weapon is brutally amazing or the invaders sucked arse.

Oh great, managed to turn the pyromancer hostile (in Firelink Shrine of all places!). Can I fix it by paying the guy in the church? I'm playing a Pyromancer, so I'm very salty about this...

I'm an expert

Yeah imo DPDS is where the true Dark Souls begins. Mine's only 8 months.

Yeah you can pay but if you dont have the patch yet itll be x2000 instead of x500.

RyanDG

schennmu said:
Oh great, managed to turn the pyromancer hostile (in Firelink Shrine of all places!). Can I fix it by paying the guy in the church? I'm playing a Pyromancer, so I'm very salty about this...

Yes as long as you don't give into the urge to kill him first.

Insaniac

Not sure if everyone playing skyrim...

or summoning still sucks in Dark souls.

But seriously, I'm level 49 trying to get summoned to fight S+O and i thought that was the butterzone for this area. Ugh patch can't come sooner

UFRA

No Skyrim for me. I'm just taking a break right now until the patch hits or we at least have some kind of ETA for NA/EU.

I'm up to Darkroot Garden right now and sitting well. I could progress on, but I'm comfortable with waiting right now.

I'm an expert

Insaniac said:
Not sure if everyone playing skyrim...

or summoning still sucks in Dark souls.

But seriously, I'm level 49 trying to get summoned to fight S+O and i thought that was the butterzone for this area. Ugh patch can't come sooner

Not just you. I'm 63 and it's been a bit tough. But yeah, the world not being on the same patch hurts.

elty

I think I am going to make one Halberd/Scythe type weapon (one regular +15, one fire) since they all have low STR requirement.... which of them is the best?

Wallachia

worldrevolution said:

Love this game.

Totally, and all that... 5 hours I am betting.

I'm an expert

Wallachia said:
Totally, and all that... 5 hours I am betting.

Only 2 actually.

So I said eff it and summoned two people. Get to Super O. Some how we all die. I summon two more. We get S and then O down. Yay. I really don't think this fight is hard..but man..so many things can go wrong. I just wish I had more attunement slots.

Also now I know why I don't get summoned..there's a million summon signs at the bonfire inside the castle..

Wallachia

worldrevolution said:
Only 2 actually.

So I said eff it and summoned two people. Get to Super O. Some how we all die. I summon two more. We get S and then O down. Yay. I really don't think this fight is hard..but man..so many things can go wrong. I just wish I had more attunement slots.

Also now I know why I don't get summoned..there's a million summon signs at the bonfire inside the castle..

haha, yeah I did with a 3 team a few times. Things can go BAAAD when its Super O or Super S. I won that fight with a hair of health left, and heart pumping.. One of the best battles so far in the game..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need 1 white titanite chunk, 1 red chunk, and 2 normal chunks to get my lightning spear, fire spear and divine falchion fully charged (think I already have the slabs waiting). Enchanted needs a blue slab but don't have that yet.

I checked the wiki and that says the chaos bugs in the shortcut drop red chunks, so I spent ages farming baby skellies to get enough humanity to open the shortcut (BTW baby skelly farming is good for souls too, had enough for 3 levels after that). But they don't seem to drop anything except the sunlight maggot. Likewise the giant skeletons in the tomb of the giants which should drop white chunks I think.

Had 10 humanity on me and the gold covetous ring so should have been ok. Any suggestions?

JVIDICAN

Argg! I tried taking on 4kings at level 26 for I can invade lower level players. Made it into the abyss just fine, but thought I'd take off the covenant of Artorias and switch it for something better. I was "taken by the abyss" :/ I don't remember that happening with my other character.

I'm an expert

Saturday morning in Japan finally in full effect.. getting summoned a lot now for O&S and getting tons of PVP too. Woot. 2 more sun medals to go.

JVIDICAN

mrklaw said:
I need 1 white titanite chunk, 1 red chunk, and 2 normal chunks to get my lightning spear, fire spear and divine falchion fully charged (think I already have the slabs waiting). Enchanted needs a blue slab but don't have that yet.

I checked the wiki and that says the chaos bugs in the shortcut drop red chunks, so I spent ages farming baby skellies to get enough humanity to open the shortcut (BTW baby skelly farming is good for souls too, had enough for 3 levels after that). But they don't seem to drop anything except the sunlight maggot. Likewise the giant skeletons in the tomb of the giants which should drop white chunks I think.

Had 10 humanity on me and the gold covetous ring so should have been ok. Any suggestions?
Just get to the kiln there's 2 guaranteed regular chunks, 1 red, and 1 white from the re spawning black knights there every time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JVIDICAN said:
Just get to the kiln there's 2 guaranteed regular chunks, 1 red, and 1 white from the re spawning black knights there every time.

ah ok, not done new londo yet. Was thinking to sort out a few bits of housekeeping before heading down there. Thanks.

matmanx1

Wallachia said:
Fuck yeah. great vid. and like the comments say, ROFL at 8:02.. creepy

Man that Machinima was amazing. I wish my Japanese was better so I could understand more of it but if there were ever a Dark Souls anime it would be exactly like that!

I'm an expert

Man..totally havin the opposite of this morning. 3 straight summons, 3 straight S&O kills, tons of dead black phantoms. Baby still crawlin on me.

The real Dark Souls.

It seems like every time I'm summoned it's more like oh shit the host is being invaded..then when that's dealt with we're like..well might as well kill the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom