• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

bone_and_sinew said:
I know crossposting is frowned upon this forum but I have to post this here too in case some of you don't get to see it in the patch thread:

Some people are getting this email in response to inquiries about the patches:

Thank you for contacting Namco Bandai's Customer Support Department.

The upcoming update for Dark Souls for both platforms is currently going through the localization process at this time. We're working to include all of the fixes and changes from the updates. Unfortunately, we do not have a determined date for the release of the Dark Souls update for the North American region at this time. Please continue checking the official website and the Facebook page for Dark Souls periodically for any details once they become available: http://www.preparetodie.com or http://www.facebook.com/darksouls

Regards,
Namco Bandai Games America Customer Support

sources: http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17916
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51620/t1687798-gd-welcome-to-dark-souls/17.htm
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/45799432#45803570 (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/f/2134/t/122023.aspx (slighty different but still showing that they're working on it)

Awesome! So there is hope then. Dark Souls is great but will be even better when 1.05 hits. I am looking forward to it.

ShaneB

worldrevolution said:
Man..totally havin the opposite of this morning. 3 straight summons, 3 straight S&O kills, tons of dead black phantoms. Baby still crawlin on me.

The real Dark Souls.

It seems like every time I'm summoned it's more like oh shit the host is being invaded..then when that's dealt with we're like..well might as well kill the boss.

S&O are currently kicking my ass over and over :(

edit: summoned a player who kicked his ass with some powerful magic. feels like cheating, but damn this game sometimes :)

I love it.

tokkun

worldrevolution said:
Man..totally havin the opposite of this morning. 3 straight summons, 3 straight S&O kills, tons of dead black phantoms. Baby still crawlin on me.

The real Dark Souls.

It seems like every time I'm summoned it's more like oh shit the host is being invaded..then when that's dealt with we're like..well might as well kill the boss.

What level are you?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Was 63 but after that many souls I jumped to 65..probably gonna stay at 65 till NG+..though I do want some more attunement slots. Maybe 70 max.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
God damn when the fuck am I going to get a pendant for the Forest covenant. I've killed like 10 dudes and nothing. I hate that covenant. I dislike being having to be summoned by a ring, I prefer using an eye object like the other covenants and almost every fucker waiting for me is a RoF/TWoP/Havel shield user. Even had a bitch do the magic shield glitch. I hate having to sink to their level and use that bullshit too but it's the only way I can even stand a chance. Beforehand when I tried fighting fair I'd get smoked. I can't wait until that stupid thing drops so I can abandon and never deal with that covenant again.

bone_and_sinew

I want to get everything before starting another new game cycle and that's one of the few things I've missed. I want to see how it changes dialogue. Plus I'm a faith build, I can't go about the other way of acquiring it.

tokkun

bone_and_sinew said:
I want to get everything before starting another new game cycle and that's one of the few things I've missed. I want to see how it changes dialogue. Plus I'm a faith build, I can't go about the other way of acquiring it.

I don't think it does anything. Certainly nothing noticeable. I had 4 of them.

Anyway, if you're going to start a new cycle, just kill Reah right before you do the boss run. I killed most of the NPCs in my game that way to get their unique items. They will be alive again in NG+.

bone_and_sinew

I killed her
when she hollowed
and got humanities but not the pendant.
Does she drop it in human form?

tokkun

I got it from her
after she was killed by Petrus.
Maybe check to see if it is in the Undead Church where she was standing. I didn't even know she could hollow.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Think my game just glitched. (Early game spoilers)

I was heading toward the Dragon Bridge from the bonfire before the Taurus Demon. Heard the dragon roar on the way there, then got 10000 souls. Apparently I killed the dragon without even being there to fight it.

bone_and_sinew

tokkun said:
I got it from her
after she was killed by Petrus.
Maybe check to see if it is in the Undead Church where she was standing. I didn't even know she could hollow.
She hollows at the Duke Archives, a couple of cells down from the bonfire. I didn't want to let Petrus kill her because I needed her miracles. I killed him before rescuing her at the Tomb of Giants.

2AdEPT

Giard said:
It's a glitch, a ninja spawned off a cliff and died and they're blaming you. Seriously.

I have a question as well...do rats stop dropping humanity some time? I'm trying to farm them (with the gold snake ring) and they're not dropping any, been at it for 15 mins.

Heard about the Picasas, should I try them instead?

yes, i.e rats don't stop dropping but are always rare drops...picasa - no drops are the exception...usually one or two per round.

JVIDICAN

toasty_T said:
What I don't like in this game is that levelling up is discouraged because of the coop/pvp aspect.

I fucking love levelling.
If you don't care about being the invader and are fine with just being invaded, level up all you want. My other character is lvl 300 now and I can still get invaded constantly in the kiln and especially in dark anor londo.

Tomat said:
Think my game just glitched. (Early game spoilers)

I was heading toward the Dragon Bridge from the bonfire before the Taurus Demon. Heard the dragon roar on the way there, then got 10000 souls. Apparently I killed the dragon without even being there to fight it.

This is a known issue, so don't worry.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just finished the game for the first time.
Beat Gwyn and linked the fires
. I'm not sure what that accomplished.

It's rather disappointing to have the start of the game give so much lore, then slowly toned down on the plot development until you have an ending that does not explain anything at all.

It was fun, but.... plot?

It threw me straight into NG+ and then I oneshotted the asylum demon with a plunging +5 Lifehunt Scythe. Felt good. XD

Gonna poke around NG+ tomorrow. I bet I can breeze through the first bit.

2AdEPT

scosher said:
If you focused mostly on End/Vit, stick with elemental weapons. If it's the moveset you don't like about the Zweihander, then try out others.

Also note, you can still improve a Fire Zweihander to +10.
I turned my fire weapon to chaos for fun...with full humanity (10) it does beat out the fire path....but not by much....unless you glitch humanity your are probably better off with fire.

shiroryu

Took out Moonlight Butterfly last night. But didn't summon Beatrice because I wanted to solo this, and now I won't be able to summon her for later boss fights, is what Wiki says :( Why, From?

I also got the Wolf ring later on - no longer being interrupted on a casting feels great.

Decided to revisit the Asylum and have killed the poor estus knight. At SL20, with around 20 INT, 5 attunment slots, and all four types of Soul Arrows, is the boss doable? Or will my magic run out halfway?

scy

bone_and_sinew said:
She hollows at the Duke Archives, a couple of cells down from the bonfire. I didn't want to let Petrus kill her because I needed her miracles. I killed him before rescuing her at the Tomb of Giants.

The bullshit about this is that if you
do the Archives before rescuing her, she still gets kidnapped and turned Hollow. Seath's dead! Why in the hell does this happen? At least you can force her alive by just not buying all her spells and killing Petrus before hand, I believe, but still. She just can't catch a break :/

But, to answer your earlier question, killing her yourself or having Petrus kill her gets you the pendant; Hollow Rhea will not have the Pendant

shiroryu said:
Decided to revisit the Asylum and have killed the poor estus knight. At SL20, with around 20 INT, 5 attunment slots, and all four types of Soul Arrows, is the boss doable? Or will my magic run out halfway?

You'll probably run out of magic. Honestly, you'd probably run out of magic even at 30+ INT and with some better spells. The boss has a lot of HP but that's really his only strong point (well, that and one-shots you). Stick behind him until he does the motions for his explosion and you should never get hit. Meleeing him down isn't as bad of a prospect as it seems, really.

2AdEPT

shiroryu said:
Took out Moonlight Butterfly last night. But didn't summon Beatrice because I wanted to solo this, and now I won't be able to summon her for later boss fights, is what Wiki says :( Why, From?

I also got the Wolf ring later on - no longer being interrupted on a casting feels great.

You will die before you cast even one or two sorceries.

JVIDICAN

Why am I not able to invade players in Anor londo. I'm more than twenty levels lower than the recommended level for the area and there's no upper lvl limit for invading. I figured I'd at least be able to invade the pvp'ers in Dark Anor Londo. >:/

I found some speculation on the TvTropes page that I think makes perfect sense regarding Quelaag.

A lot of people have mentioned why there doesn't appear to be any motive for Quelaag preemptively attacking players. She and her sister are shown to be perfectly intelligent and not mindless monsters. Someone posted speculation saying that After Quelaan became sick, Quelaag became her sole caretaker, and began using the Bell of Awakening as an excuse to kill any Undead who journeyed into her Domain as a source of harvesting humanity to alleviate her sister's constant pain.
This speculation makes perfect sense to me. And I'm going to subscribe to this theory now.

Mortrialus said:
I found some speculation on the TvTropes page that I think makes perfect sense regarding Quelaag.

A lot of people have mentioned why there doesn't appear to be any motive for Quelaag preemptively attacking players. She and her sister are shown to be perfectly intelligent and not mindless monsters. Someone posted speculation saying that After Quelaan became sick, Quelaag became her sole caretaker, and began using the Bell of Awakening as an excuse to kill any Undead who journeyed into her Domain as a source of harvesting humanity to alleviate her sister's constant pain.
This speculation makes perfect sense to me. And I'm going to subscribe to this theory now.
Yea this is what I believe as well, it makes too much sense!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So here's a question..

I have 10 sunlight medals so I'm ready to rank up with the covenant, however I'm on playthrough 1. On playthrough 2 I'd be able to offer a certain boss' soul for another miracle. If I rank up the covenant now will it remain that level on the next playthrough? I read the wiki but it makes it sound like only the current covenant you're in when you beat the game stays the same level. Or do all covenant levels remain?

Basically should I wait until playthrough 2 to hand in the 10 sunlight medals? Would I have to lower the entrance requirements again to join?

edit: well nevermind..went to the place I go to when in any doubt (the Japanese wiki) and it says even the lowered entrance requirements for the Knights of the Sun carry over.. well..there ya go..ignore this post..

IrishNinja

yeah, im saving the sunbros for play # 3 - ive got the medals, just waiting on the patch to lower the faith req...i put together 25, i dont wanna have to dupe grind out another 25.

2AdEPT

sixghost said:
No, you'll be fine. If you've fought those types of bosses enough, you can almost beat them without getting touched.
That is ridiculous for anyone who isn't a SL 1 speed candidate...you realize he is speaking about stray demon right? I heard a lot of bravado on this site and underestimated stray demon as a result at a SL 45 or so....as soon as I got behind him he turned around....i couldn't stay behind him for longer than 2 seconds....I must have tried 10 or fifteen times with crystal ring and iron flesh and barely got him.... this poster is at SL 20......I will be interested to hear how he does. I assumed the people that did not attempt cheese tactics like me were WAAAY higher SL...the physical defense you have at 20 means one mistake and you are fried.

2AdEPT

OK I got a question for you NG+ers. Do embers stay in your inventory? Did I make a huge error in giving this really large embers etc to blacksmiths..... that I am about to kill anyway? Could have I saved them for NG+??????

2AdEPT

I Push Fat Kids said:
Sl 76 and I need some help with the 4 kings... died twice about a hit away from killing it and now I need to just move on
this fight seemed impossible hard at first...but after watching the youtube i was embarrassed how easy it is ...at least on NG. Just two hand your best weapon...I used lightning spear +5 I think, wear grass shield or eat green moss. make sure to get in close, for whatever reason they don't spam as much magic in there and the odd time another ghost gets you, but with the stamina Regen just be relentless, heal after each ghost. no magic, no shield, no problems keep it simple and mash R1 as hard as you can. I guess some guys have the ability to wear havel's but I couldn't with my light rolling build.....didn't need it....speed kills on this one. Think I put on the antiquated skirt to boost magic defense...dats about it.

Kevtones

2AdEPT said:
this fight seemed impossible hard at first...but after watching the youtube i was embarrassed how easy it is ...at least on NG. Just two hand your best weapon...I used lightning spear +5 I think, wear grass shield or eat green moss. make sure to get in close, for whatever reason they don't spam as much magic in there and the odd time another ghost gets you, but with the stamina Regen just be relentless, heal after each ghost. no magic, no shield, no problems keep it simple and mash R1 as hard as you can. I guess some guys have the ability to wear havel's but I couldn't with my light rolling build.....didn't need it....speed kills on this one. Think I put on the antiquated skirt to boost magic defense...dats about it.

It seems easy and then impossibly hard - I just am angry after getting close twice :(

shiroryu

Thanks for the replies, people. I think I'll hold off on this fight for later- I want to beat bosses with pure sorcery this run, instead of melee-ing him midway through.

I'm an expert

IrishNinja said:
yeah, im saving the sunbros for play # 3 - ive got the medals, just waiting on the patch to lower the faith req...i put together 25, i dont wanna have to dupe grind out another 25.

Yeah I wouldn't have even been able to join the covenant had I not had the patch.

Looks like I'll be fine either way, but I'll just save them for NG+.

2AdEPT

shiroryu said:
Thanks for the replies, people. I think I'll hold off on this fight for later- I want to beat bosses with pure sorcery this run, instead of melee-ing him midway through.
I admit I wanted that fat bastard dead as early as possible for the slab though.....don't wait too long! BUt bring stronger firepower for sure than soul arrows....crystal ring seemed to be the only way for a noob like me! ;p

2AdEPT said:
OK I got a question for you NG+ers. Do embers stay in your inventory? Did I make a huge error in giving this really large embers etc to blacksmiths..... that I am about to kill anyway? Could have I saved them for NG+??????

embers count as keys and you lose all of them, on hand or not.

use the black knights before gwyn to upgrade whatever you want (get the chunks and break them down with frampt as needed). you won't get any decent materials until pretty late into ng+ anyway so set yourself up before you finish.

I'm an expert

So another question..kind of..I have a cheesy shield at +10 but the giant blacksmith doesn't give me an option to use the butterfly soul to make the crystal shield thing. Where should I be looking?

worldrevolution said:
So another question..kind of..I have a cheesy shield at +10 but the giant blacksmith doesn't give me an option to use the butterfly soul to make the crystal shield thing. Where should I be looking?

He does it, might be the wrong kind of shield. Which one is it?

Eccocid

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right, guys, I finally have the time free to jump in to this. I sunk about 50 hours into Demon's Souls and Zelda is out in 6 days.

Wish me luck!

50 hours and i just reached to second half of the game! It is certainly bigger than Demon's Souls

Foliorum Viridum said:
Dying in a Souls game?

You surely lie, sir.

Fear what's behind every corner on your first run

Then wag your dick at the game as you storm through NG+ until you get ploughed by Four
hundred
Kings

Foliorum Viridum said:
So basically I'm fucked :p

Oh well, I'll have to juggle them. I'm not going to rush this baby (and probably couldn't if I tried).

I spent 90 hours in my first Dark Souls playthrough.

2AdEPT said:

Embers do not stay in your inventory in NG+. If you want to ascend something you need to find the ember again and give it to the appropriate blacksmith each playthrough.

shiroryu

Foliorum Viridum said:
Dying in a Souls game?

You surely lie, sir.
Yes, I lied.

Prepare to survive.
Until you die anyway.

Best of luck, though! I like DaSo better than DeS, though that's a great game as well - you have better environments, no MP management, bonfires are better than having to backtrack to the last archstone, and the open world aspect is spot on- after defeating a boss yesterday I climbed a tower next to it and from the very top, it's great to track how you've come all the way. It isn't huge in terms of actual space, but it feels that way because you had to fight for every inch of progress sometimes. Nor is it the most beautiful game on consoles, but you can appreciate the blurry beauty more when you've fought that hard to get there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom