• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you still get souls after beating bosses?

I just beat the
Taurus Demon
however he died when I died. By that I mean I hit him and killed him just as he killed me. I got a message saying he was dead, and the game has registered he's dead, but I have no reward for doing so. :( If it glitched on me I'll be sad, especially since boss souls got such cool stuff in Demon's Souls.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Foliorum Viridum said:

I just beat the
Taurus Demon
however he died when I died. By that I mean I hit him and killed him just as he killed me. I got a message saying he was dead, and the game has registered he's dead, but I have no reward for doing so. :( If it glitched on me I'll be sad, especially since boss souls got such cool stuff in Demon's Souls.

you don't get a special soul from him, he's just a baby ;)

Ah, good good! I was honestly disheartened when I didn't get a reward, but if that's meant to be the case it's fine. Nothing worse than a glitch fucking you over :)

... Now back to getting killed lots. Enjoying it so far :)

There is a delay before you get your souls after "YOU DEFEATED". Personally I always wait for my souls to go up before using the bonfire or moving on. In the Taurus' case you do get souls for killing him but it's not a lot. I think I got 5000 souls in NG+.

I'm about to plat the game:) I just need to get to smith who deals in boss souls to cash in 2 more souls. I'm debating if I will make a new character after I have my perfect char that is more specialized.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I just beat the
Taurus Demon

Yeah. Only a few select bosses have Souls that can be made into weapons.

Kweh

In the Painted World there is a door that I can't figure out how to open. It is the one that leads to the boss, but it is "locked by some contraption". How do I open it? I got the Annex Key hoping it would lead to opening that but it didn't and I feel I have been everywhere I can, but obviously I haven't!

Kweh said:
In the Painted World there is a door that I can't figure out how to open. It is the one that leads to the boss, but it is "locked by some contraption". How do I open it? I got the Annex Key hoping it would lead to opening that but it didn't and I feel I have been everywhere I can, but obviously I haven't!

Head down into the well. There is a switch to open it up in the giant room there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I couldn't find the same switch when I was there..a helping phantom was kind enough to show it to me, I then embarrassingly died to the wheelie guys.

So..New Londo..yeah..this is one of the scariest places I've ever been in a game. I had explored the top part when I was a but a noob hollow looking where to start my journey. Inched my way forward until I realized I couldn't go further with my current strength. 40 hours later I come back,
unlock the lower half, and geezus krist..I'm walking on a sea of skeletons.. seriously.. amazing..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
most annoying enemy in the game? For me it'd be a toss-up between the mosquitoes in Blighttown, or the wheel skeletons. Both do that really annoying constant hitting that you can't readily counter. Skellies are worse but at least they don't constantly spawn

IrishNinja

aw, balls! im at the Centipede demon, and there's no Solaire sigil here on NG+...what'd i do wrong? last time i saw him, he totally helped me with the twins in andor londo, despite not being there at the fireplace. is this usual, or did i miss him somewhere this time?

*edit - wiki says he's supposed to be by the sunlight altar; dude's not here. i dont recall looking/seeing him here last time either though.

worldrevolution said:
I couldn't find the same switch when I was there..a helping phantom was kind enough to show it to me, I then embarrassingly died to the wheelie guys.

So..New Londo..yeah..this is one of the scariest places I've ever been in a game. I had explored the top part when I was a but a noob hollow looking where to start my journey. Inched my way forward until I realized I couldn't go further with my current strength.
40 hours later I come back, unlock the lower half, and geezus krist..I'm walking on a sea of skeletons.. seriously.. amazing..

This reminds me of something I realized about the game, and the only point over Dark Souls I'll give in Demon's Souls honor aside from Framerate.

I love New Londo, but the sound of the water and the waves should be a constant in the zone. You can hear them a bit when you're close to the water, but my biggest complaint aside from Frame Rate and Lost Izalith is the sound design. The atmospheric sounds aren't as full sounding as Demon's Souls. The filthy rain in Valley of Defilement, the churning of machinery and workers in Stone Fang Tunnel, it all surpasses Dark Souls in richness and quality.

Sorry about this tangent, it just occurred to me when I read your post.

mrklaw said:
most annoying enemy in the game? For me it'd be a toss-up between the mosquitoes in Blighttown, or the wheel skeletons. Both do that really annoying constant hitting that you can't readily counter. Skellies are worse but at least they don't constantly spawn

It's definitely the mosquitoes for me. Flying enemies? I can deal with? Small Flying Enemies with small hit boxes? I can handle them. Endlessly spawning flying enemies which ruin exploration? Fuck you.

IrishNinja said:
aw, balls! im at the Centipede demon, and there's no Solaire sigil here on NG+...what'd i do wrong? last time i saw him, he totally helped me with the twins in andor londo, despite not being there at the fireplace. is this usual, or did i miss him somewhere this time?

I think you're supposed to talk to him at the Sunlight Shrine behind Hellkite.

shiroryu

worldrevolution said:

So..New Londo..yeah..this is one of the scariest places I've ever been in a game. I had explored the top part when I was a but a noob hollow looking where to start my journey. Inched my way forward until I realized I couldn't go further with my current strength. 40 hours later I come back, unlock the lower half, and geezus krist..<spoiler>.
Spoil the last part, dude. We're way deep in the thread, but I hadn't gone that far yet, and you don't want new players to read that.

Eccocid

shiroryu said:
Yes, I lied.

Prepare to survive.
Until you die anyway.

Best of luck, though! I like DaSo better than DeS, though that's a great game as well - you have better environments, no MP management, bonfires are better than having to backtrack to the last archstone, and the open world aspect is spot on- after defeating a boss yesterday I climbed a tower next to it and from the very top, it's great to track how you've come all the way. It isn't huge in terms of actual space, but it feels that way because you had to fight for every inch of progress sometimes. Nor is it the most beautiful game on consoles, but you can appreciate the blurry beauty more when you've fought that hard to get there. :D

I really love to see all the places i had travelled from a top of a tower in this game. And also when i reached to Anor Londo first time and seeing that huge buildings in front of me thinking about what awaits me at there was an amazing feeling!

Sandbox games never gave me that feeling, including TES games.

IrishNinja

Mortrialus said:
I think you're supposed to talk to him at the Sunlight Shrine behind Hellkite.

yeah, wiki says that too, but - i just came here after glitching/beating the hellkite, and he's not here. then again, i don't remember talking to him here last game either? no idea why that'd stop his sigil from appearing in front of the boss room in izalith.

Eccocid said:
I really love to see all the places i had travelled from a top of a tower in this game. And also when i reached to Anor Londo first time and seeing that huge buildings in front of me thinking about what awaits me at there was an amazing feeling!

Sandbox games never gave me that feeling, including TES games.
Yeah that's one of my favorite parts of dark souls also. The first time I climbed the black knight tower behind hellkite, and could see the undead burg? Awesome.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
IrishNinja said:
yeah, wiki says that too, but - i just came here after glitching/beating the hellkite, and he's not here. then again, i don't remember talking to him here last game either? no idea why that'd stop his sigil from appearing in front of the boss room in izalith.
Solaire sometimes doesn't show up in NG+, it's a bug. Looks like you got bit.

Septimius

I'm contemplating going back to DeS. I think DaS is a better realized game, but I think the atmosphere is better in DeS. Sort of lost the spark for DaS, now, trying to build my PvP character. I started a INT build to get the most out of crystal magic weapon, but then I realised there were more damage to be had from going FAI, but fuck blue invading.

Eccocid

Septimius said:
I'm contemplating going back to DeS. I think DaS is a better realized game, but I think the atmosphere is better in DeS. Sort of lost the spark for DaS, now, trying to build my PvP character. I started a INT build to get the most out of crystal magic weapon, but then I realised there were more damage to be had from going FAI, but fuck blue invading.

I haven't finished DaS yet, i agree its better realized in gameplay department and has great level design but yeah for atmosphere, i haven't seen an area that is moody and scary as Tower of Latria from Des. That place was haunting, almost felt like playing a Silent Hill game.

scy

2AdEPT said:
That is ridiculous for anyone who isn't a SL 1 speed candidate...you realize he is speaking about stray demon right? I heard a lot of bravado on this site and underestimated stray demon as a result at a SL 45 or so....as soon as I got behind him he turned around....i couldn't stay behind him for longer than 2 seconds....I must have tried 10 or fifteen times with crystal ring and iron flesh and barely got him.... this poster is at SL 20......I will be interested to hear how he does. I assumed the people that did not attempt cheese tactics like me were WAAAY higher SL...the physical defense you have at 20 means one mistake and you are fried.

Stray Demon used to be my first boss killed in my runs since I went there for the Rusted Iron Ring to make Blighttown easier at the start. He pivots slowly and every attack he does has a motion to it; without Drake Sword, the fight takes a lot of time, sure, but it's still pretty easy even at SL1. He doesn't regular attack when you're behind him (though, he will if you're closer to his sides) so you're only looking at his ground pound and his explosion; the former has him float up so you can just run away and the latter has him stop moving completely. Neither attack comes out fast so there's really no way to get hit unless you let it (or don't know the explosion's range).

Magic DEF is more important for Stray Demon, by the way; the explosion he does is Magic-based; this also applies to
the Firesage Demon later on. For some bizarre reason
. Conveniently, you get the Crest Shield for blocking Magic while you're in the revisit ... though, yeah, I wouldn't actually try surviving a hit from him without having dumped some points into VIT.

Septimius said:
I started a INT build to get the most out of crystal magic weapon, but then I realised there were more damage to be had from going FAI, but fuck blue invading.

It's pretty comparable, though. Darkmoon Blade at 2.1x is what beats it out, otherwise INT = FAI will always have INT winning out due to their better MagAdjust. And you can get more copies of CMW far easier than DMB :/

IrishNinja

crap, i tried beating all but one of the creatures in izalith before bringing Siegmeyer down, but the last dumb one died on its own, and now he's just down on himself.

any chance i didnt fuck myself out of a slab here? id hate to go all the way down the hollow again and not get anything. then again, i didnt even see his daughter on this play yet, shit seems buggy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IrishNinja said:
crap, i tried beating all but one of the creatures in izalith before bringing Siegmeyer down, but the last dumb one died on its own, and now he's just down on himself.

any chance i didnt fuck myself out of a slab here? id hate to go all the way down the hollow again and not get anything. then again, i didnt even see his daughter on this play yet, shit seems buggy.

what are you supposed to do? He dropped down first for me, but killed the last octopus thing himself. Are you supposed to kill the last one? He sounded upset that I was still there, so I don't know what difference it would have made when I jumped in.

sixghost

2AdEPT said:
That is ridiculous for anyone who isn't a SL 1 speed candidate...you realize he is speaking about stray demon right? I heard a lot of bravado on this site and underestimated stray demon as a result at a SL 45 or so....as soon as I got behind him he turned around....i couldn't stay behind him for longer than 2 seconds....I must have tried 10 or fifteen times with crystal ring and iron flesh and barely got him.... this poster is at SL 20......I will be interested to hear how he does. I assumed the people that did not attempt cheese tactics like me were WAAAY higher SL...the physical defense you have at 20 means one mistake and you are fried.
I think you're overselling it. Especially since the Crest shield is practically given to you in the same area, which does a ton to negate the magic damage. He's just a really easy boss to maneuver around since he's so damn slow, but unlike the Firesage Demon, you have a ton of space to move around in.

IrishNinja

mrklaw said:
what are you supposed to do? He dropped down first for me, but killed the last octopus thing himself. Are you supposed to kill the last one? He sounded upset that I was still there, so I don't know what difference it would have made when I jumped in.

well, my first game, he did just that (jumped down) but took too many hits, said he was gonna take a break. i next saw his daughter by the firelink camp, told her i saw him, then when i went to ash lake (first bonfire) he was dead - she wept, but gave me my precious slab. now that i fucked up and killed all the enemies and made him thank me again and complain about its ineptitude or some shit (plus, again, i think i somehow missed his daughter entirely on this run), i may've locked myself out of said slab i needed for one of the last weapon trophies.
oh well, here's to fighting the stray demon again in NG++, if so.

*edit: crap, that's right! she was in that golem back at the duke's archives....well, i guess there's no point in going back for her now, pretty sure im not getting that slab.

Haunted

mrklaw said:
Homing Soulmass makes the mosquitos bearable, and the hitstun + massive damage by the Wheel Skeletons which basically means certain death make them the most annoying enemy in the game. Also, they're only encountered in super dark environments.

BigAT

Is there any sort of consensus yet on what the best weapon for a strength build is? I just hit 50 STR this morning and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be going after.

JVIDICAN

mrklaw said:
archers in dukes. There's so many of them and if any of them are in the range of a channelers dance they can easily one-hit you. :<
They(along with all the other crystal undead) sound allot like the derp trolls in demon souls too. So annoying.

Those wheel dudes are total assholes. Even during your first run they're a pain. Anything after that they can one shot you if you don't see them coming.

I find the dog looking skeletons in Tomb really annoying. Also some of the ghost gangbangs through the walls in New Londo are irritating.

BigAT said:
Is there any sort of consensus yet on what the best weapon for a strength build is? I just hit 50 STR this morning and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be going after.

Can't go wrong with the black knight greataxe imo. Awesome weapon.

Is it just me or is this game even tougher at the start than Demon's Souls? I thought I would be able to handle the start better after playing Demon's, but fuck, I'm getting raped. Every direction I have to go just leads to death, and none of the fires let me level up so I can't grind a bit like I did in Demon's :\

I also can't stock up on health like I did in Demon's.

Septimius

Foliorum Viridum said:
Is it just me or is this game even tougher at the start than Demon's Souls? I thought I would be able to handle the start better after playing Demon's, but fuck, I'm getting raped. Every direction I have to go just leads to death, and none of the fires let me level up so I can't grind a bit like I did in Demon's :\

I also can't stock up on health like I did in Demon's.

Takes a while to get back into the game. How far are you? All bonfires let you level up.

I'm only level 7 and went back to one with 4000 souls. It wouldn't let me do anything and the req souls for next level said 0? I assumed that meant you can only level up once per bonfire?

I've just ran past the first dragon on the bridge and opened up the shortcut down to the bonfire. I can't kill the boar or the two knights if I run past him down the steps and through the light door. Been stuck here for about 90 mins and I'm not making any progress!

BigAT

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm only level 7 and went back to one with 4000 souls. It wouldn't let me do anything and the req souls for next level said 0? I assumed that meant you can only level up once per bonfire?

I've just ran past the first dragon on the bridge and opened up the shortcut down to the bonfire. I can't kill the boar or the two knights if I run past him down the steps and through the light door. Been stuck here for about 90 mins and I'm not making any progress!
The required souls for your next level doesn't work. It only shows up when you go to level up. If it's showing up as 0, it means you don't have enough souls to level up.

More than 4000 this early? Jeez! Only getting 50 per enemy.

Time to grind then, I guess.

Definitely feel like this is a worse introduction to the game than Demon's. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has no previous experience with the franchise.

one85x

You should definitely be able to level up with 4000 souls at level 7. Are you using the right stick to change the stat values? It's not like in Demon's Souls where you select one stat at a time to level up.

Septimius

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah the little arrow appears if you can move one of the values up. I just tried with 2200 and it's not there, can't move them at all.

Skill has a lot more to do than level. Don't grind - it's a quick way to get bored of the game for no reason.

Also I'd say if you find yourself banging your head against a brick wall theres usually always a much easier approach you can take. Grinding isn't really the answer and won't make much difference. Especially that early in the game.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah the little arrow appears if you can move one of the values up. I just tried with 2200 and it's not there, can't move them at all.
To level from SL 7 to 8 you only need 775 souls. Go to a bonfire, select "level up". Move down to a stat, push stick to right to increase the number. If it won't let you do it and you have more than 775 souls, you are dealing with a bug of some kind.

Zimbardo

so really it seems that a 'faith' build is by far the best for PvP in this game ...with a Sorceress coming in 2nd place, imo.

a pure strength or dexterity build will most likely get their ass eaten.

Septimius

Zimbardo said:
so really it seems that a 'faith' build is by far the best for PvP in this game ...with a Sorceress coming in 2nd place, imo.

a pure strength or dexterity build will most likely get their ass eaten.

Not really. The only, only reason I'm going high INT with my build (because fuck Darkmoon blade and getting 80 souvenirs to get 2.1x modifier) is to buff my weapon. I will likely not use any magic when fighting, because soul arrows are useless, and crystal homing mass is boring. But it might not be the best build, because it will be situational. I have to have my buff running to be at my best.

Pure dex/str build with pyromancy is a great build. It's stable and devastating. Also, fuck Great Sword of Artorias.

Zimbardo

Septimius said:
Not really. The only, only reason I'm going high INT with my build (because fuck Darkmoon blade and getting 80 souvenirs to get 2.1x modifier) is to buff my weapon. I will likely not use any magic when fighting, because soul arrows are useless, and crystal homing mass is boring. But it might not be the best build, because it will be situational. I have to have my buff running to be at my best.

Pure dex/str build with pyromancy is a great build. It's stable and devastating. Also, fuck Great Sword of Artorias.

i haven't used Pyromancy yet ...but i thought that scales off Intelligence?

i know that you can upgrade the pyro glove to like around +15 ...but would doing that alone be enough?

IrishNinja said:

*edit - wiki says he's supposed to be by the sunlight altar; dude's not here. i dont recall looking/seeing him here last time either though.

He is in the shortcut to Lost Izalith where those small bugs are.
He sits there & mutters to himself, doubting if everything he worked work was for nothing.

Foliorum Viridum said:

The boar will stop chasing you if stay back past the gate.
When he turns around 2 hand his ass & back away & repeat.

If you are talking about those knights with raipers, just equip a thrusting sword or spear, since they fight you in narrow corridors. They are pretty easy enemies aside from that.

Woooo! Just cleared Smough and Ornstein for the time! Solo! Saving Ornstein for last!

Attuned pyromancy glove + combustion works wonders.

Best feeling from gaming in ages!

theta11

See You Next Wednesday said:
He is in the shortcut to Lost Izalith where those small bugs are.
He sits there & mutters to himself, doubting if everything he worked work was for nothing.

He sometimes gets bugged in NG+, it has to do with him not giving you a Soapstone (since you already have one) and it breaks the quest chain completely. It's apparently fixed in 1.04 and beyond. Easy way to tell if everything is going as norm is if you see him at the Anor Londo bonfire.

2AdEPT

worldrevolution said:
So another question..kind of..I have a cheesy shield at +10 but the giant blacksmith doesn't give me an option to use the butterfly soul to make the crystal shield thing. Where should I be looking?
it has to be the giant blacksmith for boss souls.....so you got that right.....just go to the modify prompt and toggle through the options. since you have he shield it will show you crystal ring and all other boss soul options that you have upgraded weapons for. You are a patch user right? maybe they nerfed crystal ring completely????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom