• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
shiroryu said:
Spoil the last part, dude. We're way deep in the thread, but I hadn't gone that far yet, and you don't want new players to read that.

Many apologies, this thread seemed somewhat dead since coming to community, been like the same 6 people talking. Not that there aren't new players here too, but trust me what I wrote isn't exactly a spoiler, more a comment on the art ..I do think about the stuff I post here before hitting submit heh. There are wayyy more severe unmarked spoilers in the recent pages. Regardless, I'll spoiler everything from now on and again, sorry.

I found out what was wrong with the crystal ring shield. I just happened to pick the one shield that couldn't be upgraded to it, and the shields were on the bottom of the ascend list under other weapons so I missed them. All is well. And yeah, I'm on the patch, if I wasn't I wouldn't be on a crazy upgrading binge thanks to the AL Blacksmith selling the good stuff.

shiroryu

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm only level 7 and went back to one with 4000 souls. It wouldn't let me do anything and the req souls for next level said 0? I assumed that meant you can only level up once per bonfire?

I've just ran past the first dragon on the bridge and opened up the shortcut down to the bonfire. I can't kill the boar or the two knights if I run past him down the steps and through the light door. Been stuck here for about 90 mins and I'm not making any progress!

First off, you can level as many times as you want at a bonfire.

Second, as people have noted, there's a bug that doesn't display the souls you need for the next level. You need to select a stat and move the stick right to see if you can level up. This is fixed in patch 1.04 though, with the exact no. of souls needed to move to the next level. If you're playing melee, Vitality and Endurance are what you need primarily, with enough Strength/Dexterity to first use the weapon of your choice.

Did you get the Drake Sword, and do you have a bow? The shortbow can be bought from the merchant in the Undead Burg, and the Drake Sword makes melee easy for that stage of the game.

Finally, you can run past the dragon to get to the bonfire under his roost. It's risky, but once lit, this is better than the Burg bonfire run because you don't need to fight past the rats and the undead soldiers every time you die.

2AdEPT

scy said:
Stray Demon used to be my first boss killed in my runs since I went there for the Rusted Iron Ring to make Blighttown easier at the start. He pivots slowly and every attack he does has a motion to it; without Drake Sword, the fight takes a lot of time, sure, but it's still pretty easy even at SL1. He doesn't regular attack when you're behind him (though, he will if you're closer to his sides) so you're only looking at his ground pound and his explosion; the former has him float up so you can just run away and the latter has him stop moving completely. Neither attack comes out fast so there's really no way to get hit unless you let it (or don't know the explosion's range).

Magic DEF is more important for Stray Demon, by the way; the explosion he does is Magic-based; this also applies to
the Firesage Demon later on. For some bizarre reason
. Conveniently, you get the Crest Shield for blocking Magic while you're in the revisit ... though, yeah, I wouldn't actually try surviving a hit from him without having dumped some points into VIT.

It's pretty comparable, though. Darkmoon Blade at 2.1x is what beats it out, otherwise INT = FAI will always have INT winning out due to their better MagAdjust. And you can get more copies of CMW far easier than DMB :/

I go to the revisit immediately as well....my new characters always ring both bells and get lightning spear and pyro, and gold hemmed ASAP....which requires the rusted ring IMO, but the crest and ring do not require you to fight stray demon so I have left him for later each time. I always wondered about the magic vs. fire DEF for stray demon....my problem has always been that the Instant I get behind him he just turns around....then one shots with his brilliant tracking. I have tried constantly strafing to follow his turn (but then can't fire off an attack, and at low level the most potent thing I have is pyro.) Is he resistant to fire? I pride myself in being less of a noob than most as i have played DeS since 2009. BUt this particular boss has been my personal nemesis....spent more time on him than any other. Probably because I don't mind co-oping O&S....sort of figure two bosses means its ok to co-op....just my opinion! ;p

shiroryu

worldrevolution said:
Many apologies, this thread seemed somewhat dead since coming to community, been like the same 6 people talking. Not that there aren't new players here too, but trust me what I wrote isn't exactly a spoiler, more a comment on the art ..I do think about the stuff I post here before hitting submit heh. There are wayyy more severe unmarked spoilers in the recent pages. Regardless, I'll spoiler everything from now on and again, sorry.

No need for apologies, it wasn't major, and I didn't mind it - just pointing it out because some players might want that moment when they drain the ruins to be unspoiled. Personally I don't think bosses, strategies, weapons etc. need to be put behind spoilers, but story-related experiences - what ixix has put together, for example - are certainly things people want to discover for themselves. I've a hard time not reading them!

elty

Finally got the stupid tail from Pricislla. I used a +5 Quelena Furysword, and a regular Iaito during the invisible phase so I can do minimal damage to make her appear. After that wait for her to do the scythe attack, which will make her stop rotating and expose her tail.

I think for the invisible phase long sword or scimitar would be better, since they are quick and have horizontal slash.

2AdEPT

worldrevolution said:

I found out what was wrong with the crystal ring shield. I just happened to pick the one shield that couldn't be upgraded to it, and the shields were on the bottom of the ascend list under other weapons so I missed them. All is well. And yeah, I'm on the patch, if I wasn't I wouldn't be on a crazy upgrading binge thanks to the AL Blacksmith selling the good stuff.
Which shield can't do it? I think I used spider as you get two per playthrough.

Sullichin

Man, a big fuck you to the guy that i helped in Anor Londo just now. He summons me before he has any of the shortcuts open. I kill an invading phantom for him, I get past the archers for him, we get to the next bonfire and he sends me home. Seriously?

Zimbardo

Sullichin said:
Man, a big fuck you to the guy that i helped in Anor Londo just now. He summons me before he has any of the shortcuts open. I kill an invading phantom for him, I get past the archers for him, we get to the next bonfire and he sends me home. Seriously?

i guess he really wanted to activate that 2nd bonfire there. :p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
2AdEPT said:
Which shield can't do it? I think I used spider as you get two per playthrough.

The round..green one..too lazy to check the English name. Low level one. It upgrades to the Artorias shield fine though. Like 20 shields work and I just picked the one that doesn't haha, but I'll use it for Artorias. No biggie since I can buy those shards limitless.

worldrevolution said:
Many apologies, this thread seemed somewhat dead since coming to community, been like the same 6 people talking. Not that there aren't new players here too,
I'm a new player that just reads the thread, with nothing to post about.

Zimbardo

Sullichin said:
So he can't activate a bonfire if someone else is there? In that case I would understand..but still!

ya you can't activate the bonfire with a summoned player there like yourself that time.

scosher

Nora Kisaragi said:
Why are eyes of death so hard to get? It's the most annoying part of nito's covenant

Unless you want to rank up higher than +1 in the covenant, if you're only doing it for the miracle rewards, just do it in NG+ cause there's 9 guaranteed eyes of death per playthrough.

It's stupid that to activate the PvP component of the covenant, you have to actually use up an Eye of Death.

I'm an expert

Nora Kisaragi said:
Why are eyes of death so hard to get? It's the most annoying part of nito's covenant

My first time in the sewers I got two just off the frogs..good thing I kept them..

one85x

2AdEPT said:
I go to the revisit immediately as well....my new characters always ring both bells and get lightning spear and pyro, and gold hemmed ASAP....which requires the rusted ring IMO, but the crest and ring do not require you to fight stray demon so I have left him for later each time. I always wondered about the magic vs. fire DEF for stray demon....my problem has always been that the Instant I get behind him he just turns around....then one shots with his brilliant tracking. I have tried constantly strafing to follow his turn (but then can't fire off an attack, and at low level the most potent thing I have is pyro.) Is he resistant to fire? I pride myself in being less of a noob than most as i have played DeS since 2009. BUt this particular boss has been my personal nemesis....spent more time on him than any other. Probably because I don't mind co-oping O&S....sort of figure two bosses means its ok to co-op....just my opinion! ;p
Are you locking on? I can see why you'd think he's so difficult if you are. He's also one of the only bosses that is susceptible to bleed, which helps a lot if you're going to take him on at low levels.

Septimius

Zimbardo said:
i haven't used Pyromancy yet ...but i thought that scales off Intelligence?

i know that you can upgrade the pyro glove to like around +15 ...but would doing that alone be enough?

No, it doesn't scale. That's why it's so good for SL1 runs and for pure STR/DEX builds. Also, you can ascend the flame after you've got to +15.

Grinchy

Banned
Sullichin said:
So he can't activate a bonfire if someone else is there? In that case I would understand..but still!
The first time I was going through the area, I didn't even know that the staircase led to a boss fight. I summoned 2 people and when I got to that bonfire I just said "screw it" and continued on with the phantoms. That is pretty crappy of him to send you away...

I'm an expert

Neat, just killed a random gecko in the Hollow (one I thought I already had) and it give me a Pure Titanite. Thanks gecko.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn. I think I was a bit quick finishing the game. Did New Londo, went through to the abyss and finished the game. Now in NG+ I lost the very large ember that was in New Londo Ruins :/ And lost the chance to farm titanite etc - I was going to get my weapons and armour a bit better sorted out before finishing up. It just snuck up on me..

Anyway, NG+ is kind of fun. Even basic zombies will kill you if you're disrespecting a group of them, and its interesting to start unlocking things in different orders. Did Taurus Demon followed by Queelaag, rang the 2nd bell before the 1st, had my fire link bonfire snuffed out and realised I'll have to go all the way to Anor Londo to get it back :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh, and my son persuaded me to use queelaana to 'modify' my pyromancy glove. Last time I spoke to her she only had it in the 'revert' area which made me think it would go back to a basic glove, but its actually *her* 'basic' glove which is more powerful than +15. Then you can upgrade it further. Had no idea.

Zimbardo

Septimius said:
No, it doesn't scale. That's why it's so good for SL1 runs and for pure STR/DEX builds. Also, you can ascend the flame after you've got to +15.

awesome, thx for the info.

any suggestions as to which are the best pyro spells to use against bosses and/or players?

Ill Saint

The pinwheel skeletons should rarely give you too much trouble. Take it slow and lure them out one at a time. When they charge at you, roll to the side, then give chase and finish them.

I'm an expert

mrklaw said:
damn. I think I was a bit quick finishing the game. Did New Londo, went through to the abyss and finished the game. Now in NG+ I lost the very large ember that was in New Londo Ruins :/ And lost the chance to farm titanite etc - I was going to get my weapons and armour a bit better sorted out before finishing up. It just snuck up on me..

Anyway, NG+ is kind of fun. Even basic zombies will kill you if you're disrespecting a group of them, and its interesting to start unlocking things in different orders. Did Taurus Demon followed by Queelaag, rang the 2nd bell before the 1st, had my fire link bonfire snuffed out and realised I'll have to go all the way to Anor Londo to get it back :(

Wait wait..correct me if I'm wrong but the abyss/4 kings is not the "end of the game". The end of the game is pretty blatant and you don't HAVE to enter the fog, no?

Sullichin

Grinchy said:
The first time I was going through the area, I didn't even know that the staircase led to a boss fight. I summoned 2 people and when I got to that bonfire I just said "screw it" and continued on with the phantoms. That is pretty crappy of him to send you away...

Well, i was in NG+ so i'm assuming he was too so he should know what's up.

I'm an expert

Sullichin said:
Well, i was in NG+ so i'm assuming he was too so he should know what's up.

Pretty sure you can go to different difficulties when summoning/being summoned, as long as the SL is in the range. I've definitely been summoned to worlds where the enemies are way stronger than mine, clearly NG+ and I'm still on my first run.

Sullichin

worldrevolution said:
Pretty sure you can go to different difficulties when summoning/being summoned, as long as the SL is in the range. I've definitely been summoned to worlds where the enemies are way stronger than mine, clearly NG+ and I'm still on my first run.

you definitely can. I'm pretty sure it was NG+ though considering I was level 97.

I'm an expert

Sullichin said:
you definitely can. I'm pretty sure it was NG+ though considering I was level 97.

With the way people farm and level..you never know..I had to stop myself from leveling up more in this playthrough since I don't want to outrange too many for co-op/pvp.

ElFly

So, I just killed the four lords, so I can fill the lordvessel.

But I remember reading that after doing so
you cannot level up anymore?

Is that true? or that happens later?

tokkun

ElFly said:
So, I just killed the four lords, so I can fill the lordvessel.

But I remember reading that after doing so
you cannot level up anymore?

Is that true? or that happens later?

It's not true.

keit4

Banned
Any tips to defeat the 4 king in NG+? I'm at SL107 and even with other two players helping me, these motherfuckers keep beating my ass. I tried iron flesh and ranged spells, but nothing :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lol.

I was resting at the bonfire at the top of Sen's Fortress, and stopped playing for a while to watch some TV with my wife.

Suddenly the controller starts vibrating and makes us jump. I switch over to the PS3 just in time to find some bastard standing over my dead body, and the screen going B&W. Seems I'd turned human so I could summon Iron thingy to the Golem fight, and resting at a bonfire while human isn't safe.

Where do invaders spawn in Sen's Fortress?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
worldrevolution said:
Wait wait..correct me if I'm wrong but the abyss/4 kings is not the "end of the game". The end of the game is pretty blatant and you don't HAVE to enter the fog, no?

No its not.
Gwyn
is. But IMO its not pretty blatant, just another fog door. I think I could probably have backed out afterwards, but it was just instinct to head for the bonfire after a box fight..

keit4 said:
Any tips to defeat the 4 king in NG+? I'm at SL107 and even with other two players helping me, these motherfuckers keep beating my ass. I tried iron flesh and ranged spells, but nothing :(

The only advice I can give is strafing the frontal attacks, and roll back, or to the side with the AoE and/or grab. As for that tracking attack..I always get hit by it...no matter what I do...=/

I use spells in combination (like homing masses, with a regular soul spear and/or Crystal Soul spear). Hit them hard, and SOMETIMES (though not often) it stops their attack. If I were a lower level, I would love to assist (FINALLY got a co-op on that boss..and was some much fun..but us level 200+s are rare...=/)

I'm an expert

64 hours played. I still have the 4 main bosses to fill the King's Container (good god the English translations for the localized version are terrible).. I'm looking at another 20 hours..

Well, the game got seventy honest hours out of me. I finally gave in and glitched my way from SL 75 to 110, just to finish my build. The only areas I haven't been to are lost izalith, tomb of the giants, and whatever is beyond that. After reading all the comments about these areas, I'm just finally starting to lose steam. Having batman and skyrim both here unopened isn't helping either!

I'll come back and create a new character post 1.05 but I think I'm going to wrap up this game and move on tomorrow.

I'm an expert

Tried the 4 kings alone a few times but man..I know I could get them but the run after dying is so annoying..so I summoned 2 people! And they effing owned them with 500+ dmg homing souls. Man..I should upgrade my pyromancy flame..

What the hell?

I loaded up my game after resting at the kiln bonfire and when I did I fell straight to my death off the side of the steps. Now I can't find my blood stain.

I had 7 humanity damn it.

lupin23rd

shiroryu said:
Patch 1.04/5 seems to be the answer to that; drop rates are up across the board.
Is it confirmed to be everything?

I need souvenirs for the darkmoon covenant, and that damn chanellers trident, and after an hour each of failure to get either, said fuck it and finished my NG+ run, now am just going to abuse the dragon glitch to see how badass the higher levels actually can make you, while waiting for the patch.

I'm an expert

lupin23rd said:
Is it confirmed to be everything?

I need souvenirs for the darkmoon covenant, and that damn chanellers trident, and after an hour each of failure to get either, said fuck it and finished my NG+ run, now am just going to abuse the dragon glitch to see how badass the higher levels actually can make you, while waiting for the patch.

Darkmoon Covenant is 100%. Just from going through the Painted World I had 5 of those drops..could just farm another 5 and never even have to pvp. Also had eyes of death drop before the patch from frogs, haven't tried to farm them but I'm sure they're easier too. The patch all around rocks, especially for the blacksmithing.

Second secret discovered.

You can give players the Covenant Ring that lets you traverse the abyss. If you do this while having not killed the four kings yet, the ring will re-appear in your world in the chest in the Sif area. This lets you duplicate the ring, allowing players to beat the game without killing Sif. Not sure if this is important yet.

edit:
Additionally, you can give Snuggly the Crow the orange charred ring and abyss ring, and if you do that, they'll reappear locked in the chest somewhere. I guess you can do that to return the ring back to its rightful owner after you kill the four kings, though i'm not sure why thats important.

I shall continue my secret hunt, and no, I haven't found a use for the egghead special kick animation yet.

tranciful

Nora Kisaragi said:
Second secret discovered.

You can give players the Covenant Ring that lets you traverse the abyss. If you do this while having not killed the four kings yet, the ring will re-appear in your world in the chest in the Sif area. This lets you duplicate the ring, allowing players to beat the game without killing Sif. Not sure if this is important yet.
Wouldn't that let you keep PVPing in the forest for as long as you want? :)

My PS3 had been having the YLOD but i used the hair dryer trick several times to bring it back to life. Now the trick doesn't work anymore, and Dark Souls is stuck in there, FML!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom