• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
elohel said:
where do you get the whip and the fog ring?

Whip is in Blight Town (the upper part, on a rafter inside the wall area), fog ring you can trade "Snuggly" for or get 5 kills in the Forest Covenant.

elty

lupin23rd said:
Is it confirmed to be everything?

I need souvenirs for the darkmoon covenant, and that damn chanellers trident, and after an hour each of failure to get either, said fuck it and finished my NG+ run, now am just going to abuse the dragon glitch to see how badass the higher levels actually can make you, while waiting for the patch.

Channeler's trident doesn't seems to be that rare. I got 2 without farming. But then I died like 10 times trying to get the Aveyln.

elty

worldrevolution said:
Whip is in Blight Town (the upper part, on a rafter inside the wall area), fog ring you can trade "Snuggly" for or get 5 kills in the Forest Covenant.

You only need 3 kills, and kill by other black phantom also count (as long as you get a shard as a reward, it counts). Forest is full of fog ring user though, took me like 10 tries to get 3 win.

You also get another whip (has bleed on it) from a black phantom invasion in painted world.

ijed

So been going through NG+ with NPC bros and broettes ... Gotta say Tarkus is the man.

And wtf is with Witch Beatrice? First boss she just stands there getting in my way while trying to dodge. On the second boss before we even get down there she starts spamming her HSA then proceeds to fall to her death ... Is she the special needs NPC or what?

yo_soy_el_topo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZdtUcxi04&feature=channel_video_title - how to fall from any height

Never played a sorcerer though, can someone explain how I would do this exactly? Like what spell is being used?
spell is called fall control

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Also another request, does anyone know exactly what armor/weapon/magic setup this guy is using in this pvp build video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-d29oJTMsQ

Looks like kirk's gloves and Crown of dusk.
Still haven't used any magic besides Cast Light myself but looks like Tin Crystalisation Catalyst with Crystal weapon enchanting an Uchi or Washing Pole, and the Red pyro spell is Power Within

IrishNinja

i so wanna plat this before zelda, but i dunno. i got new londo ruins left & that's basically it for NG+, then it's just sif soul one more time. but first:

1) i need 8 souveiners of reprisal. guess it's time to finally farm those harpies....
to maximize my chances, should i wear the darkmoon ring & try the blue orb before every run? did anyone have much success with either?

2) was gonna weight on the patch to get my 25 faith-having ass into the sunbros, but god knows when that's dropping - where are the best places to leave my sigil for boss co-oping? when im summoned, i can only heal with the spell, yeah? any other limitations i should know?

thanks guys, cant wait to have the pair of soul plats!

elty

yo_soy_el_topo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZdtUcxi04&feature=channel_video_title - how to fall from any height

Never played a sorcerer though, can someone explain how I would do this exactly? Like what spell is being used?

Also another request, does anyone know exactly what armor/weapon/magic setup this guy is using in this pvp build video?

It said

1) cast fall control
2) Jump
3) Quit game at the moment you land
4) Load
5) Profit

The build has

Katana/pyromancy flame on right hand
catalyt/grass crest shield (?) on left hand
Crystal magic weapon, power within, crystal homing soul mass, crystal soul spear, crown of dusk

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
ijed said:
And wtf is with Witch Beatrice? First boss she just stands there getting in my way while trying to dodge. On the second boss before we even get down there she starts spamming her HSA then proceeds to fall to her death ... Is she the special needs NPC or what?

For the
Four Kings
she's a bit touchy. What's actually happening there is there's a ghost hanging out in the room right before the boss that she tries to attack but can't hurt because she's not cursed, and the ghost is easy to miss because it's chilling near the roof and stops trying to attack once you go through the fog door. So it just sits there, Beatrice becomes obsessed with killing it, you
jump into the Abyss
, she doesn't follow you because her sole desire in life is the castigation of a non-aggressive ghost, and the game declares her dead.

Kill the ghost and she'll calm down and quit spamming spells. Then she'll happily follow you, and her presence makes the fight quite a bit easier just by dint of there being another warm body down there.

Feel like I wasted souls getting to 20 dex to use Ricard's Rapier. It's at +14 and backstabs are hitting for a pitiful 350. I threw sunlight blade on it and it still isn't that impressive. Not much stun on the R2 combo either.

I could have been one-handing the BK Greataxe :(

elty

toasty_T said:
Feel like I wasted souls getting to 20 dex to use Ricard's Rapier. It's at +14 and backstabs are hitting for a pitiful 350. I threw sunlight blade on it and it still isn't that impressive. Not much stun on the R2 combo either.

I think due to how the game works, it favors STR build that uses high damage weapon. You seems to do pity amount of damage if your weapon attack rating < defense, so 2 quick strike of 100 attack rating each does not do the same damage as one strike of 200 attack rating. With pyro and magic getting nerf I think a STR/FAI build with Darkmoon blade would be the most powerful PvP build.

ShaneB

Just had a great session, made progress, got some gear, kicked some ass. Then I wander around more in Darkroot, and all of a sudden I'm fighting people I can't target, ghost forms and human forms, no idea what the hell is going on. I die. I'm horribly confused, angry at the game again for being so damn obtuse and po'd at losing 30K souls :(

The circle of life.

Giard

Could anyone throw any suggestions on how to upgrade an Avelyn?
A lot of people suggest Lightning or Fire for PvP, but some people say it doesn't affect crossbows. I think they might be wrong though.

I thought about using an upgrade with magic damage at first. Isn't magic damage the one that shields have the most difficulty blocking?

Dresden

Giard said:
Could anyone throw any suggestions on how to upgrade an Avelyn?
A lot of people suggest Lightning or Fire for PvP, but some people say it doesn't affect crossbows. I think they might be wrong though.

I thought about using an upgrade with magic damage at first. Isn't magic damage the one that shields have the most difficulty blocking?
Crossbows never scale so you don't want magic or divine on it.

Lightning and fire works on crossbows, it's bows that won't iirc. I had a Lightning +5 Avelyn, it tore shit up. Problem is that lightning bolts are $$$.

ShaneB said:
Just had a great session, made progress, got some gear, kicked some ass. Then I wander around more in Darkroot, and all of a sudden I'm fighting people I can't target, ghost forms and human forms, no idea what the hell is going on. I die. I'm horribly confused, angry at the game again for being so damn obtuse and po'd at losing 30K souls :(

The circle of life.

assuming you're not getting invaded, there are about 2 or 3 NPCs in the darkroot forest that are under the same spell that the "fog ring" grants. You can't target them and they're hard to see, but once you know they're there it's easy to kill them.

One is a thief that will backstab you if he gets close, the other is a knight with heavier gear. The area they're in is entirely optional also, the only two bosses in darkroot (the butterfly, and sif) can be gotten to while avoiding them completely.

Giard

Dresden said:
Crossbows never scale so you don't want magic or divine on it.

Lightning and fire works on crossbows, it's bows that won't iirc. I had a Lightning +5 Avelyn, it tore shit up. Problem is that lightning bolts are $$$.
If I have a Fire crossbow, will it do both fire damage and lightning damage with lightning bolts? Or would it be better to just concentrate on lightning?

Dresden

Giard said:
If I have a Fire crossbow, will it do both fire damage and lightning damage with lightning bolts? Or would it be better to just concentrate on lightning?
Fire with Lbolts will do both but you really want to focus on one set of damage so it doesn't have to go through two resistances.

elty said:
It said

1) cast fall control
2) Jump
3) Quit game at the moment you land
4) Load
5) Profit

The build has

Katana/pyromancy flame on right hand
catalyt/grass crest shield (?) on left hand
Crystal magic weapon, power within, crystal homing soul mass, crystal soul spear, crown of dusk

Cool I appreciate this, someone said the armor was kirks gloves but I checked the wiki and don't even see an item named that. Is it the thornmail armor set but he is only wearing gloves? Why would he do that if that's the case.

well smough and ornstein in NG+ are a pain in the ass... they kick my ass if I go alone, and If I revive, I get invaded so fast that I could not summon phantoms...

does solare helps in this battle? if I summon him and I died, can I summon him again?

IrishNinja

sotodefonk said:
well smough and ornstein in NG+ are a pain in the ass... they kick my ass if I go alone, and If I revive, I get invaded so fast that I could not summon phantoms...

does solare helps in this battle? if I summon him and I died, can I summon him again?

yeah, they're a bitch on NG+ for me too - moreso when they combine. he does return, and i had the same problem as you, so i went offline for that one fight. he's good in the first part if you can get him on whichever twin you don't wanna go after to keep them busy, but try to use a fire (for ren) or lightning (for stimpy) to make short work of them, because the longer you have him playing sacrificial lamb in round 2, the better your odds. good luck!

2AdEPT

roxya said:
In the painting. I fucking hate pinwheel skeletons ¬_¬
yep... i always go down the sewer drain, grab the pyro/miracle and annex key and fuck off before getting the gate key.....use the
leaping jump method on the dragon parts
instead to go to priscilla.

I hate the two archers while running up the path in Anor Londo. So many deaths due to those arrows knocking me off. Still die to them in NG+ and NG++.Say hello to my Dragonbow+5 with Dragonslayer arrows to the face. Too bad it doesn't knock them off.

2AdEPT

one85x said:
Are you locking on? I can see why you'd think he's so difficult if you are. He's also one of the only bosses that is susceptible to bleed, which helps a lot if you're going to take him on at low levels.
thanks, watched the you tube and can see that I just wasn't patient at low soul level...I never had patience for vanguard...guess that transferred over to stray demon....ironically it probably wasted more of my time to use iron flesh and crystal ring, than it would have if I had taken my time with a spear or whatever.

zerokoolpsx said:
I hate the two archers while running up the path in Anor Londo. So many deaths due to those arrows knocking me off. Still die to them in NG+ and NG++.Say hello to my Dragonbow+5 with Dragonslayer arrows to the face. Too bad it doesn't knock them off.

After I figured it out I've gone through there about 5 times without screwing up once

get halfway -> wait for right archer to stop firing -> run up to his ledge and move across while slightly hugging wall -> dodge one arrow (if you're hugging, even if you get hit you'll fall into the wall) -> get in his face with your shield up -> he falls into oblivion

done

tokkun

toasty_T said:

I think the BK Greataxe is a bit overrated. It's one of the easier weapons to riposte, doesn't do any non-physical damage, can't be enchanted, and is extremely heavy. I've also had very little success stunlocking with it for some reason.

Not to say that it's good damage, range, and speed are not valuable, but it seemed to be a less effective PvP weapon than some other big weapons. I had to spend 12 SL to get it and wished I had used them elsewhere.

If you want to use big weapons in PvP, I would suggest stopping at 24 (Zweihander) or 28 (Murakumo) strength and putting the extra points into vitality.

ijed

ixix said:
Kill the ghost and she'll calm down and quit spamming spells. Then she'll happily follow you, and her presence makes the fight quite a bit easier just by dint of there being another warm body down there.

Thanks - was wondering what she was shooting at :)

4 Kings
are still kicking my ass in NG+ even with her and someone else helping - SL99 32 Vit and 40 End - Smoughs with father's mask, Grass Crest and Fire Lucerne +9 which is the best wep I've got... Can't take em down quick enough and when they do the double slash it's game over :( Any suggestions? (beside avoiding that double slash) Only thing between me and my last
covenant
trophy

tokkun said:
If you want to use big weapons in PvP, I would suggest stopping at 24 (Zweihander) or 28 (Murakumo) strength and putting the extra points into vitality.

I've already got a Zwei at +4 lightning. While effective, I don't really like using it due to it's slow swing speed even though it hits like a truck. My main weapon for PvE is a +10 Divine Great Scythe (32 faith) and backup is a +10 Fire Washing Pole. All great weapons but I was looking for a change of pace. The BK Greataxe looks sweet, it's a shame it can't be enchanted because it would be ridiculously powerful.

If anything I want some that hits hard, has good range and is somewhat quick.

Insaniac

hornets ring, +15 ricard rapier, CMW, counter/riposte a weapon spamming invader = hnnnggggggg

Say hello to 1200 damage in the face!

Also, the ring Ornstein drops, it says it increase thrust weapon counter attacks. I tested it on rapiers (which are thrust weapons) and it didn't do any increased damage.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can you explain how countering works? Is it deflecting with a weapon in the left hand?

I'm an expert

Crystal Magic Weapon. Didn't know how popular it was in PVP till I read it here. Need 28 int to use though. I had planned on going pure magic for my run (and mistakenly chose pyromancy back when nobody knew what it was) but slowly leaned towards a strength build. In new game plus I'ma finish off my Vit and then go 40 magic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lupin23rd said:
Is it confirmed to be everything?

I need souvenirs for the darkmoon covenant, and that damn chanellers trident, and after an hour each of failure to get either, said fuck it and finished my NG+ run, now am just going to abuse the dragon glitch to see how badass the higher levels actually can make you, while waiting for the patch.

How do you know you need the channellers trident? Is there a list of weapons you need for the trophies?

I'm currently relaxing in NG+ not really sure what to do. I explored a lot in every level in NG so not planning to do that much (except New londo ruins which I felt I missed a lot of). Currently heading to Anor Londo to get back the fire link shrine (had it snuffed out within 30 minutes of starting NG+ as I rang the 2nd bell first...)

2AdEPT

worldrevolution said:
Can you explain how countering works? Is it deflecting with a weapon in the left hand?
Pretty sure all it involves is holding your shield up and getting extra damage after they thrust and bounce off.....I noticed the dredges got more damage once this happened to them and perhaps leo just ups the bonus?

2AdEPT

mrklaw said:
How do you know you need the channellers trident? Is there a list of weapons you need for the trophies?

I'm currently relaxing in NG+ not really sure what to do. I explored a lot in every level in NG so not planning to do that much (except New londo ruins which I felt I missed a lot of). Currently heading to Anor Londo to get back the fire link shrine (had it snuffed out within 30 minutes of starting NG+ as I rang the 2nd bell first...)

I guess its not possible to do four kings before ringing any bells, but my goal in NG+ is to try to do tings as out of order as possible.......pinwheel I believe may be first on my list!!! Gotta review what happens with patches early on first though...i never got him to come early last two times with separate characters.

IrishNinja

Backfoggen said:
Ok NG++ is just going to be me getting the Blue Titanite Slab, let's see how long it'll take for me to make a run for it.

aw man, its a long ways to the crystal cave, no? i guess you missed it once prior?

Septimius

yo_soy_el_topo said:

what hasn't been covered:
CMW + Tin Crystallization Catalyst + "Uchigatana +15" = lots of damage
Red ring: higher attack when HP is low
Power within: up attack power but gradually lose HP.

I'd say it's Havel's gloves, but I dunno.

worldrevolution said:
Parry/riposte is accomplished by pushing the shield bash button at the right time, then responding with a light attack. You need to be using a shield that can parry. You probably have seen the animation in the church under the first bell. The undead guards there like to do it. For me the risk reward is too great to make parry/riposte a viable option. If your timing is off they get a free hit in.

velvet_nitemare said:
My PS3 had been having the YLOD but i used the hair dryer trick several times to bring it back to life. Now the trick doesn't work anymore, and Dark Souls is stuck in there, FML!
What is this hair dryer trick you speak of? I have a ylod'd 80g fat in the garage I'd really like to get some pictures off of.

IrishNinja said:
aw man, its a long ways to the crystal cave, no? i guess you missed it once prior?
I missed it on my first playthrough cause I played without a guide.
But if it's just one thing you need it's really easy to just breeze through. Played for an hour and already rung the second bell.

Second time I've seen the credits. Fuck, this game is awesome.

Parried Gwyn into oblivion this time around with my melee/faith dude. There's enough time to squeeze in a shrug after each riposte. Bet homeboy was furious.

The music during the credits is so nice.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja said:
1) i need 8 souvenirs of reprisal. guess it's time to finally farm those harpies....
to maximize my chances, should i wear the darkmoon ring & try the blue orb before every run? did anyone have much success with either?

2) was gonna weight on the patch to get my 25 faith-having ass into the sunbros, but god knows when that's dropping - where are the best places to leave my sigil for boss co-oping? when im summoned, i can only heal with the spell, yeah? any other limitations i should know?

still wondering!
man, i'm here in the painted world, and...shit's a trip.
i keep invading these 2 dudes, i think they're roleplaying smough & ornstein, but using some different weapons (smough stunlocked me good, thats what i get for having such low poise..). i invade, they look at each other, one bows at me and we fight till i die. they're hanging out on the bridge, just taking turns.
it's funny, but also pitiful. really gotta be an easier way to get these souvenirs.

Septimius

IrishNinja said:
still wondering!
man, i'm here in the painted world, and...shit's a trip.
i keep invading these 2 dudes, i think they're roleplaying smough & ornstein, but using some different weapons (smough stunlocked me good, thats what i get for having such low poise..). i invade, they look at each other, one bows at me and we fight till i die. they're hanging out on the bridge, just taking turns.
it's funny, but also pitiful. really gotta be an easier way to get these souvenirs.

I would totally grab a handheld or laptop, and continue trying to invade - trying to invade various places, figure out how it goes, and while I wait to invade do something else. Sure, it'll take some time, but you can do something completely different most of the time.

Septimius

IrishNinja said:
what is this again? and shit, i really gotta re think my shit, i cant get anywhere near those #'s.

Crystal Magic Weapon. It gives MagAdjust * 1.4 in magic attack to your weapon. 40 INT means 380 mag dmg + 408 phy dmg for Uchigatana +15 at 40 DEX. Gotta hurt.

scy

IrishNinja said:
1) i need 8 souvenirs of reprisal. guess it's time to finally farm those harpies....

When I did it, I wore the Ring and used the Orb (use it when you enter the courtyard; it seem to fail itself if you pop it at the bonfire and then enter the courtyard ... or maybe that was just me). I took the route from the bonfire to where the Miracle: Vow of Silence was at since four of the seven harpies land there for easy killing. Wait out the Orb to pop or fail since there's another point that you can cross that auto-fails it (or, again, it always did for me) and then hop down to where the dragon was. Enter the building and go up to kill the final three harpies or just Homeward Bone if you don't trust fighting the last three on the narrow stairwell.

I'd say it took only around three hours and I had gotten 12 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom