• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

one85x

DigitalDevil said:
Dammit, think I borked sunbro's story arc. Defeated firesage demon, took the shortcut, killed the 9 bugs, then went back to find sunbro and he's nowhere to be seen. Now every time I take the shortcut there are only 8 bugs. I'm fucked, right? Dammit.
Have you checked the bonfire after the Centipede Demon?

Johnas

Zzoram said:
Ya L2 sorry that was a typo.

With your shield down, wait until the enemy initiates his attack, press L2 at the right time and you'll parry the attack. Note that two handed attacks are sometimes not possible to parry, notably the Capra two handed ones. Capra single hand swings can be parried.

OK, I think I got it. Does it make that "thunk" sound when you pull one off successfully?

I appreciate the help. I'm remembering now, I learned how to parry/riposte in Demon's Souls, but it was long after I first finished the game, and I just did it a few times for fun, then completely forgot about it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Insaniac said:
I'm still always amused by how friendly the general population of Darksouls (360) has been. Besides the occasional hacker who i gratuitously slandered after our duels, everyone is willing to private chat, friend request and just in general be good natured about pvp and everything. I even accidentally called someone a cheater (got invaded by 2 at the same time, one a hacker one a lowbie, messaged the wrong one) and we ended up having a nice long conversation about how awesome dark souls was lol.

Private chat? wait what? I thought starting a voice chat would kick you to the main menu, that is the main reason I skipped xbox version and grabbed a PS3 copy.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well..just gonna farm the shit out of rats till I have 30 humanity. Not takin any chances. Already have 7 after 15 mins..here we go.. also got two eyes of death from the frogs no problem so farming them is super easy.

Johnas said:
OK, I think I got it. Does it make that "thunk" sound when you pull one off successfully?

I appreciate the help. I'm remembering now, I learned how to parry/riposte in Demon's Souls, but it was long after I first finished the game, and I just did it a few times for fun, then completely forgot about it.
Yes, you've got it.

matmanx1

In general, the button to parry should be pressed as soon as you see forward motion from your opponents weapon. A couple of items (the parrying dagger, targe shield, etc.) give you a slightly longer window in which to successfully parry. Obviously this parry window is going to vary depending on the swing speed of your opponents weapon and missing a parry versus someone with a big 2 handed weapon is going to hurt. Alot.

However, if you practice and get good with the parry you can be pretty dominating. The riposte damage from your weapon after a successful parry is better damage than even a backstab and the animation for most weapons riposte is pretty sick.

i parried and riposted some guy with a Fire Uchigatana +5 THREE times and he didn't heal in between, and i only got like 1/3 off his health.....

still pisses off when i think about it, NO idea what that was about.

Minamu

Jonsoncao said:
Private chat? wait what? I thought starting a voice chat would kick you to the main menu, that is the main reason I skipped xbox version and grabbed a PS3 copy.
Party chat is blocked, but private chat follow different rules, apparently.

IrishNinja

scy said:
When I did it, I wore the Ring and used the Orb (use it when you enter the courtyard; it seem to fail itself if you pop it at the bonfire and then enter the courtyard ... or maybe that was just me). I took the route from the bonfire to where the Miracle: Vow of Silence was at since four of the seven harpies land there for easy killing. Wait out the Orb to pop or fail since there's another point that you can cross that auto-fails it (or, again, it always did for me) and then hop down to where the dragon was. Enter the building and go up to kill the final three harpies or just Homeward Bone if you don't trust fighting the last three on the narrow stairwell.

I'd say it took only around three hours and I had gotten 12 of them.

ah, wish i was having this luck - i stopped invading cause im stuck in a loop with the same duo, but harpies alone and im at 7, just need 3 more!

is there any angle i should take this to stop these stupid things from suiciding? sometimes i lose like half of them that way. it's awful.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man just in the last two days I've really come into my own with this game..(and I've owned it since September..). Everything just feels comfortable now..except being bad at PVP. First time in the Catacombs today and I pretty much ran through it untouched..sort of less afraid of the game now. I don't recall that ever happening with Demon's, but I think it's because of the one seamless world thing. I'm like..hey..my Firelink hideout's just over there..I'm good.

scosher

IrishNinja said:
ah, wish i was having this luck - i stopped invading cause im stuck in a loop with the same duo, but harpies alone and im at 7, just need 3 more!

is there any angle i should take this to stop these stupid things from suiciding? sometimes i lose like half of them that way. it's awful.

I usually go to that courtyard where that one torch-wielding dregling and the fireball-tossing one hangs out. By going there, two of the harpies fly down to you. Then you can go back to the roost and take out the remaining two quickly.

Zzoram

astroturfing said:
i parried and riposted some guy with a Fire Uchigatana +5 THREE times and he didn't heal in between, and i only got like 1/3 off his health.....

still pisses off when i think about it, NO idea what that was about.

360 or PS3? 360 has save some hackers.

Did you invade or did he invade? The invader is typically lower level than the host.

What armor was he wearing? Did he cast Flash Sweat? He may simply have had high fire resist.

I'm an expert

Most of the people I invade usually have insane health too..I have like 18 vit..most people must have at least 40.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
For high Vitality people, try building up a Bleed weapon. I was (and am) getting my ass handed to me by twinked low-level Japanese players around the Undead Burg and Parish while I sit around for jolly cooperation.

IrishNinja

scosher - did just that, thanks man!
okay, all that's left is sunbro & next game's soul of sif! MORE QUESTIONS.

1) does my sunbro rank carry over? should i go ahead & give them the 10 medals i have and then come back in NG++ with the boss soul they want, or no? if so, im assuming the lowered requirement from my co-ops would carry over too, as long as i dont break the covenant.

2) i need to do 4 co-op boss battles to meet their requirement. where's the best/most common places to drop my sigil?

Wool

IrishNinja said:
2) i need to do 4 co-op boss battles to meet their requirement. where's the best/most common places to drop my sigil?

The beginning of Sen's Fortress in the room with the two snake people seems really popular, otherwise try Anor Londo starting at the bottom of the elevator down by where the gargoyle is.

I've had much more luck getting summoned placing my sign at the beginning of levels as opposed to by the boss door, but you do run the (very high) risk of the host dying on the way to the boss.

IrishNinja

huh. yeah that sounds risky, especially in those levels.
so i'm reading that rank carries over as long as you dont break the covenant, im assuming that means my co-oping too? cause it'd be easier to do so now with the lordvessel at the end of NG+ than trying again next game.

RyanDG

worldrevolution said:
Most of the people I invade usually have insane health too..I have like 18 vit..most people must have at least 40.

Vit stacked builds are extremely popular because of the damage ability on the elemental weapons. Considering that you just need to get the 'minimum' to use the weapon to be able to deal insane damage, it frees up quite a few points for Vit/End. One of the most annoying builds to fight against right now is the Vit stacked Estoc builds with high poise. Painful, painful stuff.

tokkun

IrishNinja said:
huh. yeah that sounds risky, especially in those levels.
so i'm reading that rank carries over as long as you dont break the covenant, im assuming that means my co-oping too? cause it'd be easier to do so now with the lordvessel at the end of NG+ than trying again next game.

The co-op count carries over, even if you switch covenants.

elty

Just start a new cleric character, got drake sword and everything smoothly. Almost died from gargoyle as my controller suddenly turn off. Thanks white phantom!

I wonder when should I head to get the dragon stone. I really, really hate great hollow though and I don't want to die and get curse from there.

Grinchy

Banned
I made a new sorcerer character and I'm a little bit past ringing the first bell. The Capra Demon was too much for me the first time I tried to solo it (like lvl 14 or so) but I destroyed it when I helped someone else beat him. I am really liking this magic class so far. Soon I will venture into Blighttown and get the sorcery stuff that's laying around.

klee123

Need Help

I want to get the 2nd titanite slab and I know that there is a specific method to get Seigmeier and his daughter to appear at ash lake.

I've just went through the majority of lost izalith and I'm at the area where Seigmier is standing above 4 Tentacle Beats below collapsed floor. Do I kill 3 of them and leave one alive? I also know that on the lower floor, there's one more Tentacle beat lurking around.

klee123 said:
Need Help

I want to get the 2nd titanite slab and I know that there is a specific method to get Seigmeier and his daughter to appear at ash lake.

I've just went through the majority of lost izalith and I'm at the area where Seigmier is standing above 4 Tentacle Beats below collapsed floor. Do I kill 3 of them and leave one alive? I also know that on the lower floor, there's one more Tentacle beat lurking around.

Just kill all except for one in the middle... and then talk to seigmeier and help him kill the last one...

IrishNinja

tokkun said:
The co-op count carries over, even if you switch covenants.

cool. ill get the 50 total, and prolly just join in NG++ so i can bring them the soul they want for the last miracle they need.

just 4 more co-ops needed...my SL is in the high 130s i wanna say, what's the best place to put my sigil? left it by the gargoyle bell, i heard anor londo's good but man i hate fighting the twins, much less having the host lose and not getting shit.
also, do i gotta stay in the zone where i drop said sigil? ima go back to way of white just to increase my odds.

Are there any shortcuts from Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo back to the Firelink Shrine?

I just reached Anor Londo for the first time. Want to go back to Firelink to tie up some loose ends and would prefer to not have to work my way all the way through Sen's Fortress again to get back to Londo.

I'm an expert

LowEndTorque said:
Are there any shortcuts from Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo back to the Firelink Shrine?

I just reached Anor Londo for the first time. Want to go back to Firelink to tie up some loose ends and would prefer to not have to work my way all the way through Sen's Fortress again to get back to Londo.

Until you beat Anor Londo, there isn't a direct shortcut, but there is one from the top of Sen's to the bottom of it which basically makes the run from AL 2 mins (Sen's and then up to the elevator in the church). The shortcut in Sen's is
the two hanging cages at the top before the archer skeleton

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LowEndTorque said:

not sure you can even get out of Anor Londo until you're finished? Although I'd like to find out if you can. I only came in here to get my fire link shrine relit, and I'd prefer not to do O&S just yet (NG+)

I'm an expert

mrklaw said:
not sure you can even get out of Anor Londo until you're finished? Although I'd like to find out if you can. I only came in here to get my fire link shrine relit, and I'd prefer not to do O&S just yet (NG+)

just go back to where you came from, talk to harpies who brought you there and they take you back

Wow the art direction in Anor Londo is very, very impressive.

Imo, it shits all over every other castle design I've seen including Ico, Castlevania LOS, Zelda etc.

I'm an expert

LowEndTorque said:
Wow the art direction in Anor Londo is very, very impressive.

Imo, it shits all over every other castle design I've seen including Ico, Castlevania LOS, Zelda etc.

IMO Boletaria is still the best game castle I've ever seen. It just oozes "giant castle in the middle of nothing", but I agree Anor Londo really stands out in the game and in general. I actually enjoy the building the painted world is held in more than the castle in terms of design.

IrishNinja said:
just 4 more co-ops needed...my SL is in the high 130s i wanna say, what's the best place to put my sigil? left it by the gargoyle bell, i heard anor londo's good but man i hate fighting the twins, much less having the host lose and not getting shit.
also, do i gotta stay in the zone where i drop said sigil? ima go back to way of white just to increase my odds.

Painted World is a good spot for coop. People tackle that bit at wildly different levels. I was still getting hits at SL 120

Keep in mind you might have to help them out through the whole section which means it could take up to 15 minutes.

Zzoram

Insaniac said:
I'm still always amused by how friendly the general population of Darksouls (360) has been. Besides the occasional hacker who i gratuitously slandered after our duels, everyone is willing to private chat, friend request and just in general be good natured about pvp and everything. I even accidentally called someone a cheater (got invaded by 2 at the same time, one a hacker one a lowbie, messaged the wrong one) and we ended up having a nice long conversation about how awesome dark souls was lol.

Your typical rager can't handle playing this type of game without going insane.

Zzoram

Undead Burg, Anor Londo and Painted World are all great IMO

Boletaria in Demon's Souls was great too

I really dig these giant complex castle levels.

Soulhouf

Kiln is a cool place to PvP. You can run into a player who use over powerful/cheated techniques (great magic shield, ring of fog...) but many are there for PvP so they play for fun and they do respect other players.
Las night I was farming dragon scales using the "dragon eye" PvP and I ran into a nice player who kept summoning me. It was fun, I learned a lot and get a lot of souls and dragon scales.
So if you want to get some dragon scales/souvenirs, go to Kiln of the first flame. Many fair players are there and it works!

Numpt3

So I just rang the second bell, where do you guys recomend I head next? Straight to Sen's?

I haven't checked out new londo ruins, dark root basin, valley of drakes or the demon ruins yet.

I'm an expert

m0ngo said:
So I just rang the second bell, where do you guys recomend I head next? Straight to Sen's?

I haven't checked out new londo ruins, dark root basin, valley of drakes or the demon ruins yet.

Explore any of those, but I recommend avoiding New Londo..I did the same when I was low level just exploring and found out, after many hours, it's essentially a dead end at that point in the game.

roxya

m0ngo said:

Yeah, go to Sen's. New Londo isn't worth doing at this point in the game since you'll have to come back anyway. Demon Ruins isn't worth completing yet either, although you can grab the Gold Hemmed set there without any aggro until the boss attacks you. If you don't have many souls, you can make a suicide run :D

catacombs to
get the improved bonfire item

20k for the blacksmith's key
and grind souls on those forest people for whatever your needs.

aside from that I think Sen's is a good place to go next.
to get to that shop at the end so you can buy large titanite shards and green titanite shards

also about the place after sen's fortress
you'll need to go to those places anyways after sen's so it's redundant to ge before hand

roxya

Owlowiscious said:
aside from that I think Sen's is a good place to go next.
to get to that shop at the end so you can buy large titanite shards and green titanite shards

Get the item find ring from Sen's and go leech hunting in blighttown. You'll be getting 2 to 7 large shards per clear and more green shards than you'll ever know what to do with. Don't pay souls for them!

I'm an expert

I'm 70 hours in and still haven't done Catacombs (there now) but I've honestly never needed more than 10 Estus for anything.

roxya said:
Get the item find ring from Sen's and go leech hunting in blighttown. You'll be getting 2 to 7 large shards per clear and more green shards than you'll ever know what to do with. Don't pay souls for them!

sound advice.

bad idea if you don't have the ring for traversing water though

I'm an expert

toasty_T said:
sound advice.

bad idea if you don't have the ring for traversing water though

bleh..since the patch I haven't farmed once. Just running to the blacksmith in AL nets you enough souls to buy every shard you'd ever want. Don't waste time farming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom