• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
corrosivefrost said:
Tried that, but Nito reallllllly likes me, and he's fast it seems too, contrary to what you would think. So by the time the skeletons show up and get owned, Nito is in my face and I can't swap to my lightning weapon to beat him to death... I think the difference between lightning spear +5 and divine iaito +5 for the crystal shield damage will be noticeable. :(

:|

Try to blow some of the skeletons up w/ fire so you only have a couple to kill with your divine weapon, run to the other side from Nito (use green moss or w/e to increase stamina regen), and kill the skeletons. Running all the way to the other side should give you more than enough room to kill chasing skeletons.

At least it worked for me :x

george_us

Yoshichan said:
Yes sir, it's surely a pity but I'll never forget the first experience that this game gave me :)

This is another reason why I think DS > DkS. Even in NG+++++++++++++++++++++ it was still difficult. At least with my build
Is NG+ easier than it was in Demon's Souls? Cause I was still getting my face caved in Demon's Souls even after one NG+.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
george_us said:
Is NG+ easier than it was in Demon's Souls? Cause I was still getting my face caved in Demon's Souls even after one NG+.
Yes, it's easier.

AkuMifune

Banned
Beat it last night! 49 hours, slvl71. A slew of 'fuckers!', a handful of 'motherfuckers!' and for the first time ever, 1 'drop to the floor in complete abject heartbreak' when I used all my divine flasks on the final boss, got him down to one hit left and then he mauled me. My heart was beating so hard in my chest I thought it might explode. Beat him the time after just by being uber-agressive.

I couldn't help but start a new game+ afterwards, and immediately got invaded and stomped by some ass with the furysword. At least he had the class to bow to my corpse.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
finalozzo said:
a better weapon than sword of quelaag/lighting spear?

GRAVE DANCER SWORD, been using that shit for ages its at +4 and doing 300+ damage just rocks. Quelags fire sword was a not the upgrade I thought it would be :(.

scy

Ken said:
No wonder I could't upgrade beyond +5. It's the butcher by the
captured Pyromancer
right?

Not the one that drops down but the one down the stairs from the room with all the useless Hollows; he has two dogs with him. Should be in a chest directly behind where he was standing.

Took down the bosses of Anor Landor. Took me like 20 attempts but finally got them last night. FeelsGoodMan.gif.

I'm in the mid 50s, which is the best boss to drop my soul sign by to assist other players?

StMeph

Ken said:
No wonder I could't upgrade beyond +5. It's the butcher by the
captured Pyromancer
right?

There are actually two in close proximity to each other. It's the butcher that you see working with his cleaver on the slab of meat. Behind him is a chest containing the Ember.

Sir Garbageman said:
Took down the bosses of Anor Landor. Took me like 20 attempts but finally got them last night. FeelsGoodMan.gif.

I'm in the mid 50s, which is the best boss to drop my soul sign by to assist other players?

What you just did...:lol

Owzers

Sir Garbageman said:

i must have gotten about 200k souls from helping with Anor Lando bosses. Up to lvl 66 now Xo

StMeph

Confidence Man said:
Where is the ember to make a fire weapon? I have the one to make Chaos weapons but not normal fire.

Vamos (and only Vamos) can do that by default. No Ember needed to make Fire +1-5.

scy

Confidence Man said:
Where is the ember to make a fire weapon? I have the one to make Chaos weapons but not normal fire.

+1 to +5 are done with no Ember, I believe; the Large one is in the
Demon Ruins
, just like the Chaos one.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Guys what is the active SLs of PvP in the last area of NG+?

For NG I know it's around SL 60-90, dunno how many lvls ppl gained in NG+ tho...

Ken

scy said:
StMeph said:

Thanks. I knew about the butcher working on the slab of meat but didn't see any chests from the second floor above him so I never bothered going down to fight him. I also thought he was the butcher that attacks you since I once saw him missing from the table.

scy

Jonsoncao said:
Guys what is the active SLs of PvP in the last area of NG+?

For NG I know it's around SL 60-90, dunno how many lvls ppl gained in NG+ tho...

Well, I don't think the NG/NG+/NG++/etc. groups are actually separated. The JP community seems to hang around 100 SL, if I recall, for duels and such; US community will probably be the same-ish, though time will tell depending on the patch fixes.

My target goal on my Faith build is 90 SL currently and I'll adjust it upwards with End/Vit to whatever the level settles on.

Finalow

DarkoMaledictus said:
GRAVE DANCER SWORD, been using that shit for ages its at +4 and doing 300+ damage just rocks. Quelags fire sword was a not the upgrade I thought it would be :(.
do you mean gravelord sword?

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
A little tale of a particular situation I'm in right now.

If you haven't ventured to the second bonfire in Anor Londo yet, you might want to keep the spoiler tags intact.

Anyway,
I've just reached Anor Londo and found the painting. And at first I wished I had not. I'm rolling with a Iaido +10, Scimitar +10 (that I planned to upgrade with Queelag' Soul) and a Divine Balder Side Sword +3 (which is now my main damage dealer). The only thing that can damage stuff in there is the Balder Sword, and that's only on the sword guys. If I didn't had invested on pyro stuff I think I would cry. I passed through the first wave, dealt with those phalanx-type dudes (the easiest part so far), poked the King-something (Jeremiah? Don't remember the exact name) to death (poke being just the right word, 60 damage per attack) and finally opened the shortcut.

I was looking for the blacksmith, I wanted to upgrade my stuff but instead went to check that goddamn painting. The fact that I can't go back to Anor (or haven't found the way back at least) pisses me off. So I'm gonna press on forward and when I find the boss, I'm gonna RAPE the fucker. It's that simple, it kept me from doing my thing here, so it's gonna die like a bitch (like me, hundreds of times before. I hope it likes it). I also have the feeling that there are some interesting stuff to find here, when I upgrade my stuff I'm definetly coming back. Right now, those ravens are still kinda hard (and oneshotting me) and the dragons just freak me out, I don't have enough arrows to deal with it.

Syrak

Neo Member
So I just finished the game and am about to embark on my NG+ but could use some advice.

My first playthrough I used a standard Pyro/Fighter build. 30 in Vit, End and Int with just enough Str/Dex to wield the Drake Sword and a Lightning Claymore.

What should I raise as I get levels now? Keep spreading between Vit, End, and Int? Forget Int? Start raising Dex or Str for better weapon scaling?

For the beginning of the NG+ I'm sure my claymore will own but as I go it will be less and less powerful compared to the various bosses.

I'm conflicted.

scy

DuendeSmoker said:
A little tale of a particular situation I'm in right now.

If you haven't ventured to the second bonfire in Anor Londo yet, you might want to keep the spoiler tags intact.

Well, for getting out:
From the bonfire, go into the courtyard with the Phalanxes and head up the stairs to your immediate left. There should be a ladder leading down to the sewers with some of those annoying as fuck rolling skeletons (~6-7, if I recall). Your goal is a wheel to turn to open the door that leads to the boss. After that, the run to the boss is pretty much a straight shot from the bonfire and the boss can be skipped and returned to later. You don't have to kill her.

As for the awesome loot, there's only really two things off the top of my head really worth note down here. The
Miracle: Vow of Silence and the Dark Ember
. Both require the Annex Key that is found
in the same underground/sewer area, though through the hidden walls.
Think there's a
Pyromancer spell (Fire Surge?)
as well, but I never used it so not sure how useful it is.

Edit: As for the
Dragon
, it attacks in one of three directions so just lure it to shoot one way, run in for two-ish attacks, and then back out. It's surprisingly an easy fight.

StMeph said:
The giant blacksmith at Anor Londo is, in fact, the only one that can use boss souls to create weapons. But to do so you have to have the correct weapon at +10 already.

Only the blacksmith
in the Undead Parish
can ascend weapons from +5 to +6 (and on to +10). To do so you have to
give him the Large Ember, which is found in a chest in the Depths, behind the butcher near the normal entrance from lower Undead Burg.

Edit: Note: With each breakpoint for new tiers, you have to actually Modify the weapon (different menu option) first.

Weapons are now on a branching tree:

T1
- Normal +1-5

T2 (Requires +5 Normal)
- Normal +6-10
- Divine +1-5
- Fire +1-5
- Magic +1-5
- Raw +1-5 (end of upgrades)

T3 (Varying requirements)
- Normal +11-15 (from Normal +10)
- Lightning (from Normal +10)
- Crystal (from Normal +10)
- Divine +6-10 (from Divine +5)
- Occult +1-5 (from Divine +5)
- Fire +6-10 (from Fire +5)
- Chaos +1-5 (from Fire +5)
- Magic +6-10 (from Magic +5)
- Enchanted +1-5 (from Magic +5)

There are 4 blacksmiths in the game:

Andrei (Undead Parish)
Across from the church, near Sen's Fortress.

He can turn +5 weapons into Raw weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Ember to continue upgrading +5 to +6-10
- Very Large Ember to continue upgrading +10 to +11-15
- Divine Ember to upgrade +5 to +1-5 Divine
- Large Divine Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +6-10 Divine
- Dark Ember to upgrade +5 Divine to +1-5 Occult

Giant (Anor Londo)
Near the end of the castle, though it's a short run once you have the Lordvessel.

He can turn +10 weapons into Lightning weapons.

You can give him:
- Crystal Ember to turn +10 weapons into +1-5 Crystal weapons
- +10 weapons & boss soul for unique boss soul weapons

Vamos (Catacombs)
A little bit out of the way, as you have to drop down a certain staircase to reach him; only after that will the "normal" route be opened up. It's a good shortcut, anyway.

He can turn +5 weapons into Fire weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Fire Ember to continue upgrading Fire to +6-10
- Chaos Flame Ember to upgrade a +5 Fire weapon to +1-5 Chaos weapon

Rickert (New Londo Ruins)
Accessible from the beginning of the game, as he's in the beginning part of NLR, away from ghosts or any hostile enemies.

He can turn +5 weapons into Magic weapons.

You can give him:
- Large Magic Ember to allow +6-10 Magic weapon
- Enchanted Ember to upgrade +5 Magic to +1-5 Enchanted weapon
Needs to be in OP

lawblob said:
In Sen's Fortress, not sure how to get past this rolling ball. Should I have passed the bonfire by now?

Time your runs - there are doors at just the right time to sneak into.

The bonfire is on the roof - there is quite a bit to the level before you reach it.

Risible said:
It sucks, don't go out of your way to get it.

I disagree. Fire Surge helped me get my 10 souvineers of reprisal, since it works wonders if you're locked on and strafing in a circle against a PvP opponent. By the time they run away to heal, you're on em and tossing a great fireball. :)

rogerroger22 said:
Time your runs - there are doors at just the right time to sneak into.

The bonfire is on the roof - there is quite a bit to the level before you reach it.

Actually, and this blew my mind, there's a specific route that's not exactly timing based that you're *meant* to take.

If you are in the inner fortress and the boulder is coming down the stairs, you can run for the top, but almost without fail, you will take a hit from the next boulder at the top. You can get up and make it into the room, in most cases, but will need to heal.

The actual route you're supposed to take is to (1) hop down the stairs as fast as you can and duck in the room at the bottom. If you go ride the elevator in the back left corner of the room (part of the trap mechanism) you need to press and hold forward to get off immediately or you eat a bunch of spikes at the top. This puts you on the left side of the path that leads down to the sleeping lizard. The other way to do it (2) is to run partially up the staircase, and jump off before you reach the top (doing a downward stab on the snake magician in the process). Once you land, you walk into a door that was recessed into the stairs, get a bunch of gear (black mage?) and the silent footsteps ring and unlock the gate on the right side of the path to the sleeping lizard.

Considering I used the "run up the stairs, take a hit, get up, get in the room with mechanism, heal" approach, it blew my mind to realize the other paths were the actual solutions to do so without taking a hit from the boulder.

MoxManiac

Someone in this thread said you can't farm White Slabs but apparently the necromancers in the skeleton baby area can drop them. I'd love to get confirmation but I imagine they'd be a nightmare to farm due to their distance from the bonfire.

scy

Risible said:
It sucks, don't go out of your way to get it.

I always find it, just because my sense of direction is terrible and I always get lost in the hidden wall passageways :(

It's my fourth time through that area and I still muck it up each time. And then lolrollingskeleton to the back.

hteng

Banned
Mortrialus said:
Does it?

I've looked at Kaath's dialog and he simply states that you are a decedent of the Pygmy, not the Pygmy himself. And how does the Pendent play into all of this?

the pendant supposely
contains memories of the pygmy, on how he discovered the first lord souls and gave it to Gwyn, Quenlana and Nito. This could make a pretty good prequel actually

I think the most disappointing thing about this game; for me; is that From Software could have been super creative with the achievements/trophies for this game. Even a bunch of low value/bronze trophies but they really could have made an impressive list of things to do in this game that would have encouraged people to really try out the many different options that this game gives the players.

I find that Japanese developed games tend to be very...standard when it comes to achievement/trophy requirements.

MoxManiac

corrosivefrost said:
I disagree. Fire Surge helped me get my 10 souvineers of reprisal, since it works wonders if you're locked on and strafing in a circle against a PvP opponent. By the time they run away to heal, you're on em and tossing a great fireball. :)

Actually, and this blew my mind, there's a specific route that's not exactly timing based that you're *meant* to take.

If you are in the inner fortress and the boulder is coming down the stairs, you can run for the top, but almost without fail, you will take a hit from the next boulder at the top. You can get up and make it into the room, in most cases, but will need to heal.

The actual route you're supposed to take is to (1) hop down the stairs as fast as you can and duck in the room at the bottom. If you go ride the elevator in the back left corner of the room (part of the trap mechanism) you need to press and hold forward to get off immediately or you eat a bunch of spikes at the top. This puts you on the left side of the path that leads down to the sleeping lizard. The other way to do it (2) is to run partially up the staircase, and jump off before you reach the top (doing a downward stab on the snake magician in the process). Once you land, you walk into a door that was recessed into the stairs, get a bunch of gear (black mage?) and the silent footsteps ring and unlock the gate on the right side of the path to the sleeping lizard.

Considering I used the "run up the stairs, take a hit, get up, get in the room with mechanism, heal" approach, it blew my mind to realize the other paths were the actual solutions to do so without taking a hit from the boulder.

You can do the run up the stairs method without getting hit, i've done it twice, both times with semi-fat roll equip burden (over 25%)

scy

corrosivefrost said:

Well, might as well add that there's a destructible wall going the "actual" way that leads to the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring (+Item Find). Just takes some time since there's a pit that the boulders need to fill up first before it can barrel through the wall for you, though I think it stays full once it gets filled up.

corrosivefrost said:

If you run up to the top and immediately roll to the left you can avoid the boulder every time.

Your alternate/actual route is one I know about but...ha...never thought of that because I was able to always roll out of the way. : /

lawblob said:
Sen's Fortress can go to Hell. Giant flame rocks on the roof? Fuck off!

You can dispose of him pretty easily b/c you can lure him to you and you can hit him from a distance while he can't hit you.

Jonsoncao

Banned
lawblob said:
His flame jars are more dangerous than himself...He is like really really dumb and immobile, if you made to the top you could just circle around him and attack without taking a single hit.

Just rang the 2nd bell then ran back to the firelink shrine but the women behind the bars is dead and i can't light the bonfire as it says my fire keeper is gone.

Is this part of the story or some NPC killed her (or has someone invaded my game and done it?

Also what should i do with Quelaag's soul?

GeekyDad

So, then, is there no fast travel between bonfires? I'm starting to get the impression it's a bit like a single instance in the first game but on a grander scale in that eventually you open up shortcuts but no actual teleportation-like system.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Shogun PaiN said:
Obviously I received a message telling me that ''I just want to defeat the boss dude leave us alone''.....So to cut it short - He ended up summoning me and we beat the boss.

Crazy game.
Haha, nice.

I really like the online system in this game. In the end, we're all just trying to make our way on the same shitty boat, and we all understand that. That's the feeling that I get when I see the online messages and when I summon/get summoned.

I've never invaded or been invaded yet, though. We'll see how that goes.

I keep hearing good things about that sword in blight town. I'm gonna go (try to) grab that after work today.

RyanDG

Finally finished up Lost Izalith on my US character. I'm not sure if I want this to end a second time. With that said, for those people having problems with Lost Izalith...

I'm not sure if everyone realizes this yet, but the dragon hind quarters are able to do damage to themselves/each other. If you get a group of them going and are good at rolling/dodging, you can let them take each other out without even getting invovled.

Funny stuff...

Don

Ornstein and Smough really are tough. I killed Smough on my third try but then had no flasks left and super Ornsetin destroyed me.

I'm using Quelaag's Furysword+4 which does pretty good damage against them but it's hard to get attacks in without receiving any damage myself.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Big thanks to the guys that gave me advice on Stray Demon last night. Cleaned that bitch smooth out at 12:30am after probably 50 deaths.
It's crazy because of his immense size and one hit KO power, my natural instinct was to create distance and stay away... but that just gets you proper fucked. You really gotta get on him like white on rice and just get point blank gritty.

Anyway, he's pushing daisy and my sanity is rapidly restoring. Many dualshock controllers were saved to your helpful actions.

scy

catashtrophe said:
Just rang the 2nd bell then ran back to the firelink shrine but the women behind the bars is dead and i can't light the bonfire as it says my fire keeper is gone.

Is this part of the story or some NPC killed her (or has someone invaded my game and done it?

Also what should i do with Quelaag's soul?

Knight Lautrec kills her (the Golden Knight); if you loot her cell you'll get a Black Orb you'll use to hunt him down later. The game tells you when to use it so don't worry about missing it. Though, word of caution, don't use the Firekeeper Soul you get from Knight Lautrec (either for souls or to upgrade your Estus) as it is required to revive the Firelink Shrine Firekeeper.

As for Quelaag's Soul, the Furysword it makes from Curved Weapons is rather nice.

GeekyDad said:
So, then, is there no fast travel between bonfires? I'm starting to get the impression it's a bit like a single instance in the first game but on a grander scale in that eventually you open up shortcuts but no actual teleportation-like system.

You'll unlock it after getting the
Lordvessel from Anor Lando
. You can warp from any bonfire but only to a few specific ones, though they're all placed relatively well in my opinion.

oracrest

lawblob said:

That's right about where I am.

Cleared out quite a bit last night, by managing to kill
the Moth, the Hydra, the Wolf, and giving the blacksmith several embers I came across. So, in the catacombs, if you have a divine weapon, the skeletons will stay dead? I upgraded my mace to the divine path, but haven't ventured back to the catacombs since first starting the game.

I love that you can meander around to other areas that you haven't explored so free form. When I am stuck, I will go backwards to other areas, and usually always stumble upon some door that I can now unlock, or some area that I forgot I had walked away from earlier.

05e736f1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom