• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

GeekyDad said:
So, then, is there no fast travel between bonfires? I'm starting to get the impression it's a bit like a single instance in the first game but on a grander scale in that eventually you open up shortcuts but no actual teleportation-like system.

later later in the game

Guevara

So to clarify on upgrading, if I have Quelaaq's Soul in order to make her Fury Sword I need to:

buy a curved sword (from Andrei I guess)
use 5 titanite shards to make it +5
use 5 titanite chunks (?) to make it +10
use the boss soul to make it the Fury Sword

Is that right? Also, I can buy titanite and the curved sword from Andrei, but not the chunks?

Owensboro

Guevara said:
So to clarify on upgrading, if I have Quelaaq's Soul in order to make her Fury Sword I need to:

Is that right? Also, I can buy titanite and the curved sword from Andrei, but not the chunks?
You can buy chuncks off the vendor in Sen's Fortress. You are also going to need the souls to make the upgrades. The final upgrade (using the boss soul) takes 5000 souls I think.

StMeph

Guevara said:

It takes 9 (if I remember correctly) Shards to go from +1 to +5.
Next you use Large Shards, and that should also take 9 to go from +6 to +10. There's a vendor in
Sen's Fortress
that sells L. Shards for 4k souls each.

The actual boss soul upgrade will have to be done in Anor Londo.

Chunks are used beyond +10.

Guevara said:

Large Shards are 5-10 and they come from the merchant on top of Sen's.

scy

Guevara said:

Should be Large Titanite Shards, not Chunks. And you don't "use" the soul, you take the fully upgraded weapon to the
Giant Blacksmith in Anor Lando
to modify the weapon into the Furysword. Any Curved Sword should work (Painting Guardian Sword, Murakumo, Scimitar, Falchion, Shotel, Server) as well.

Edit: holy shit beaten hard, lol

Though, to add, the Large Titanite Shards can be farmed from the Black Iron Knight near the
roof bonfire in Sen's Fortress
. Should drop one about 100% of the time.

Risible

corrosivefrost said:
I disagree. Fire Surge helped me get my 10 souvineers of reprisal, since it works wonders if you're locked on and strafing in a circle against a PvP opponent. By the time they run away to heal, you're on em and tossing a great fireball. :)

Ah, interesting. I never really PVP, so I guess I should have specified it's no good in PVE. Thanks for the tip, will try it if I ever get into PVP :).

Guevara said:

I don't know about the curved swords but for the material for upgrades it should be:
use 9 titanite shards to make it +5
use 9 large titanite shard to make it +10

K' Dash

Guevara said:

You need a scimitar, iirc.

1stStrike

Banned
I started playing my NG+ again last night, but the FPS was hitching and it was getting to me - I'm going to set it aside and wait for a patch. Hopefully they can fix the FPS issues, and then I can enjoy the game again.

I understand the upgrade paths but can't seem to find a link that describes exactly what all the different attributes do. Anyone have a link? I'm wondering what the difference between a magic and an enchanted weapon is, same with divine and occult?

Thanks.

I've got to take a 3 week break from my console... I eagerly await to find more people in NG+ and also some decent stat mods! The patch is pretty much imminent, right?

jkoch

StMeph said:
Weapons are now on a branching tree:

T1
- Normal +1-5

T2 (Requires +5 Normal)
- Normal +6-10
- Divine +1-5
- Fire +1-5
- Magic +1-5
- Raw +1-5 (end of upgrades)

T3 (Varying requirements)
- Normal +11-15 (from Normal +10)
- Lightning (from Normal +10)
- Crystal (from Normal +10)
- Divine +6-10 (from Divine +5)
- Occult +1-5 (from Divine +5)
- Fire +6-10 (from Fire +5)
- Chaos +1-5 (from Fire +5)
- Magic +6-10 (from Magic +5)
- Enchanted +1-5 (from Magic +5)

Thanks, this is the best explanation of weapon upgrades I've seen.

Whoa, the tiny skeleton spot is the best farming spot in the game.
Let me clue you in.

Prior to going, you need at least 1 homeward bone (optional, I guess, but it makes it much quicker) or whatever they are; you can buy them for 800 souls at the female undead merchant in the shortcut to the capra demon from firelink.

It's a short easy path to get to once you know the route down from the 2nd bonfire in Tomb of the Giants. Takes about 5 minutes, max, for me at SL68. I use a bunch of pyro spells taking out all the undead idiots on the way (1 or 2 dogs, 1 or two warriors, 1 archer, and about 4 of the pillars). Once down there, dealing with the pinwheel apprentice type idiots is pretty easy... and if you have your gold serpent ring on, they'll probably drop some white titanite chunks (haven't seen a slab yet).

Now that you're clear here, you're good to go. Equip gold serpent ring if you haven't already and change your second ring to evil eye. Put on some armor that helps poison resist. I'm using the gold hemmed stuff.

Now, slaughter the tiny skeletons, grabbing the humanity drops when possible. The evil eye ring will keep your health up so you can go on forever without worrying about estus. In about 20-30 minutes, I farmed (with gold serpent ring, 0 humanity) 24 humanity and over a million souls.

When you're happy with your soul # or humanity count, use a homeward bone. This will warp you back to the 2nd bonfire in TotG. Rest up, repair equipment, whatever. Warp to firelink or your desired location (say anor londo or whatever) -- IMPORTANT: only warp to the immediate destination you wish to go, do not warp more than one time.

So in my case, I warped to firelink. I ran up the hill, killed the undead, jumped over, and bought the remaining armor I was missing from the dude on the bridge. Finish that, ran up the stairs and down to the merchant, buy a few more bones. Finished there, ran up to the elevator to undead church, bought all miracles from Rhea, ran to Andrei, gave him large divine ember -- ascended +5 divine weapon to +6. I'm done now, so what do I do? Homeward bone. Because I only warped once and never rested at a 2nd bonfire, it takes me back to 2nd bonfire in ToTG. Treck down to the pit, repeat as desired. If you aren't concerned about humanity, you can put on the silver serpent ring to get 20% more souls and raise your soul count faster.

scy

Sir Garbageman said:
I understand the upgrade paths but can't seem to find a link that describes exactly what all the different attributes do. Anyone have a link? I'm wondering what the difference between a magic and an enchanted weapon is, same with divine and occult?

Thanks.

Magic (and Divine) scale more with STR/DEX than Enchanted (and Occult) do. If you're going heavy INT or Faith, go for Enchanted or Occult over Magic or Divine.

corrosivefrost said:
Whoa, the tiny skeleton spot is the best farming spot in the game.
Let me clue you in.

Prior to going, you need at least 1 homeward bone (optional, I guess, but it makes it much quicker) or whatever they are; you can buy them for 800 souls at the female undead merchant in the shortcut to the capra demon from firelink.

It's a short easy path to get to once you know the route down from the 2nd bonfire in Tomb of the Giants. Takes about 5 minutes, max, for me at SL68. I use a bunch of pyro spells taking out all the undead idiots on the way (1 or 2 dogs, 1 or two warriors, 1 archer, and about 4 of the pillars). Once down there, dealing with the pinwheel apprentice type idiots is pretty easy... and if you have your gold serpent ring on, they'll probably drop some white titanite chunks (haven't seen a slab yet).

Now that you're clear here, you're good to go. Equip gold serpent ring if you haven't already and change your second ring to evil eye. Put on some armor that helps poison resist. I'm using the gold hemmed stuff.

Now, slaughter the tiny skeletons, grabbing the humanity drops when possible. The evil eye ring will keep your health up so you can go on forever without worrying about estus. In about 20-30 minutes, I farmed (with gold serpent ring, 0 humanity) 24 humanity and over a million souls.

When you're happy with your soul # or humanity count, use a homeward bone. This will warp you back to the 2nd bonfire in TotG. Rest up, repair equipment, whatever. Warp to firelink or your desired location (say anor londo or whatever) -- IMPORTANT: only warp to the immediate destination you wish to go, do not warp more than one time.

So in my case, I warped to firelink. I ran up the hill, killed the undead, jumped over, and bought the remaining armor I was missing from the dude on the bridge. Finish that, ran up the stairs and down to the merchant, buy a few more bones. Finished there, ran up to the elevator to undead church, bought all miracles from Rhea, ran to Andrei, gave him large divine ember -- ascended +5 divine weapon to +6. I'm done now, so what do I do? Homeward bone. Because I only warped once and never rested at a 2nd bonfire, it takes me back to 2nd bonfire in ToTG. Treck down to the pit, repeat.

Did you kill Nito yet?

frequency

catashtrophe said:
Just rang the 2nd bell then ran back to the firelink shrine but the women behind the bars is dead and i can't light the bonfire as it says my fire keeper is gone.

Is this part of the story or some NPC killed her (or has someone invaded my game and done it?

Also what should i do with Quelaag's soul?
It's a story thing. Loot the cell and later in the game, you'll get a message to use the item to invade the killer's world. After you do that, you get her soul back (make sure not to use it). You can return it to her cell and the flame comes back.

Quelaag's soul can be used to make weapons. If you upgrade a curved sword (like a scimitar or something) to +10, you can make Quelaag's Furysword with it. It's a pretty good weapon. The blacksmith that makes it is later in the game.

oracrest

I finally sprang for the plus account last night. It felt good to upload my demon and dark souls saves. At least the dark souls data also automatically backs itself up.

The downside is that I have my SL 1 and naked barbarian runs are on a second account. Is it possible to add those saves through my plus account?

GJS

corrosivefrost said:
No. Still waiting on the answer for whether or not killing him will fuck up the drop rate... plus I'm still afraid he's going to eat my face again. ;)
I didn't start killing the baby skeletons until my 2nd visit to the tomb of the giants to pick up the white titanite slab, Nito was long dead by then.

Finalow

. my lighting spear+5 does 70 damage aginst those undead at duke's archives, lol. is there a better weapon?

. i can't go in the prison area after i killed seath, am i doing it wrong? 'Cause i want the fire keeper soul and i want to free an npc.

. where is a good spot to be summoned? I want to obtain medals in order to enter in a covenant.

Finalow

corrosivefrost said:
No. Still waiting on the answer for whether or not killing him will fuck up the drop rate... plus I'm still afraid he's going to eat my face again. ;)
why? He's so cute. :'(
and at ng+ difficulty he kicks your ass.

BrettXNA

Banned
Once you give the large ember to the blacksmith the undead parish how many
weapons can you upgrade past +5 ?
Can you upgrade more than one weapon past +5 ?
I have several weapons/armor that I want to upgrade past +5 but
I was under the impression you could do only one ???
They are all standard weapons btw.

Thanks

finalozzo said:
. my lighting spear+5 does 70 damage aginst those undead at duke's archives, lol. is there a better weapon?

. i can't go in the prison area after i killed seath, am i doing it wrong? 'Cause i want the fire keeper soul and i want to free an npc.

. where is a good spot to be summoned? I want to obtain medals in order to enter in a covenant.

In first game, my lightning spear+5 only does about 70 to the giant undead skeletons in the Tomb. :(

Wow - Covetous Gold Serpent + Scythe just outside of Nito's room = extreme farming. 40 Humanity and 100,000 souls in just over 20 minutes with no need to visit a bonfire.

Also - is the Fury sword the most powerful weapon in the game (not including the OP'd shield)? It is fast, has fire damage, scales with DEX and STR and scales with humanity (max 10 it looks like). Right now I have 39 DEX, 19 STR and I am doing 516 damage. My Iaito+13 only does 334. I know some of the big axes have a large base damage but they have poor or no stat modifiers, but what weapon will do more damage as you level up?

BrettXNA said:

Thanks

No limit as far as I can tell.

Finalow

KoreanBarbecue said:
Really? I beat him first try last night on NG+. Just spammed him with two-handed Black Knight Halbred+5 attacks and wore Havel's Armor.
well it killed me 6 times, maybe i suck at this game.

ironcreed

Banned
corrosivefrost said:

Just put on your heaviest armor, go in with your best weapon two handed, take some of that stamina grass before dropping down and then stay on him and tank his ass as fast as you can. I did this and beat him easily and did not even worry about the skeletons.

kodt

Banned
BrettXNA said:

Thanks

No limit assuming you don't run out of the required upgrade materials. You can always buy more titanite shards, and large titanite shards. To get to +15 you need a Titanite Slab, which is much more rare.

I got the farthest I've been inside Sen's Fortress and then that stupid fake chest ate me :( I mashed my buttons but he just killed me, any way to spot them as opposed to actual chests?

EasyMode

FuttBuck said:
I got the farthest I've been inside Sen's Fortress and then that stupid fake chest ate me :( I mashed my buttons but he just killed me, any way to spot them as opposed to actual chests?
Just attack any chest you see, and you'll find out.

FuttBuck said:

If you poke them with your sword first (don't need to be locked on) they will come alive and you can beat them and better avoid the head-chomp attack.

If you have poison mist / toxic mist - you can cast it on them, they will take damage/die, but not become 'alive'.

kodt

Banned
FuttBuck said:

The fake ones have a straight-ish chain connected to the right side and the real ones have a curved chain.

Also apparently they move slightly and breathe, but I haven't seen that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can't button mash yourself out of grabs, right?

johntown

Banned
demosthenes said:
So does anyone have Slab locations or confirmations of what mobs drop them w/ horrible drop rates?

I need to farm today/tomorrow.
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Good luck getting some of them. I will be doing the same thing in the Crystal Cave and I am not looking forward to farming too much but I need to do it before NG+ when I will have to start over again.

johntown

Banned
FuttBuck said:
Lots of people will leave a message in front of the fake ones letting you know it is fake.

johntown said:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

Good luck getting some of them. I will be doing the same thing in the Crystal Cave and I am not looking forward to farming too much but I need to do it before NG+ when I will have to start over again.

Thanks for the link.

In Cata, where you can drop down in the hole and there are 2 crystal lizards, how the hell do you get either of them? They run from me :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
kodt said:
Good >:) Forces you to hit every chest you find at least once (I learned my lesson the hard way).

gdt

Finished the game. 75 hours, SL 90. My game of the year so far. I can only see maybe Uncharted 3 and Zelda topping it. Or Batman.

No ending movie? I hit my controller by mistake, so I'm not sure if I skipped something.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yoshichan said:
Good >:) Forces you to hit every chest you find at least once (I learned my lesson the hard way).

But can't you break the chest? I thought I did that once in the depths.

BeeDog

we.are.the.armada said:
Guys where do I get the magic ember that allows magic weapons+10 to be made? Thanks!

In the middle of the pool of water surrounded by mushroom men in Darkroot Garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom