• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Wait, I thought you had to do some of the Covenant stuff in order to get some of the weapons for the Knight's trophy. Wouldn't that necessitate some of the online stuff?

Booshka

140.85 said:
Wait, I thought you had to do some of the Covenant stuff in order to get some of the weapons for the Knight's trophy. Wouldn't that necessitate some of the online stuff?
You can farm for most of the the covenant items you need, except for Sunlight medals but if you are going for 100% you can get enough Sunlight medals through multiple playthroughs from Solaire summons, and the few places to pick them up, so you don't need to be online.

kyubajin

About to enter Anor Londo on my NG+ character. I'm really not feeling the 40% increase in difficulty at all. I breezed through Blightown and Sen's Fortress without dying once :D Maybe I just know the levels too well.

I'm SL 90 and have been playing in human form 90% of the time yet I'm not getting invaded at all, except a couple of times in the Depths...

Missing 3 covenants, all weapons/miracles/pyromancies/sorceries, 5 reinforcements and the plat is mine :D

EasyMode

Owlowiscious said:
Can you get master key throughout the game? Seems shitty that if you don't get it when you firs tmake a character you're screwed forever.
I believe when the patch comes, you'll be able to buy it from Domhnall.

kodt

Banned
Owlowiscious said:
Can you get master key throughout the game? Seems shitty that if you don't get it when you firs tmake a character you're screwed forever.

You can't but they are adding it to a merchant in the patch.

Owlowiscious said:
Can you get master key throughout the game? Seems shitty that if you don't get it when you first make a character you're screwed forever.

You're not really screwed. You just play the game as it was intended to play. The master key might be good if you're playing a second play through with a new character, but if you're starting out, you might end up going to the wrong place (ie: harder place). Except Blighttown. I think my eyes got a little worse from the skips.

Exactly. If you pick the key first, you can play the game as it was intended to play (by not using it) and new game 8 you can use the key if you want.

If you don't pick the key first, then after putting 1000 hours in the game you feel ike using the key and start over everything.

Which is a moot point whenever the patch selling the key comes in. Thanks for the heads up.

JRPereira

Such a bummer to have to wait so long for the patch. PvP could be a lot better than it is right now (especially for mages), and I wouldn't have to resort to being scummy and abusing the Snuggly exploit for twinkling titanite (fucking clams, one twinkling titanite for 75 kills is unacceptable).

Haven't been watching the thread lately, but in case nobody else has confirmed it, both soulmass spells are completely broken as a darkwraith - they'll just fire at nothing moments after casting. That and tons of fog ring use is really screwing over darkwraith sorcerers.

I've been casting nightly (and most of the weekends) on Twitch/JTV -- http://www.twitch.tv/jrpereira . You'll have to excuse the Bastion background - their channel design editor has been coming soon for weeks, if not months. It'll mostly be on a new (third) character that I'm going a more melee route with.

Eccocid

Eugh..i burnt out all of those cursing items by ding several times in New Londo. Now i can't damage the ghosts, how the hell am i supposed to end the level? Does the guy at roof sells them?(Even reaching to him will be a big hassle bohoho)

Btw a tactic i made up is (if you are a mage); wear the biggest and most bulky armor and grab a huge ass sword when you are invaded or invading. So the other player thinks you are a pure melee build and surprise them with an overpowered combustion when they approach you. Well it doesn't work everything but sometimes when ppl see u with a big sword and a shield they try to duel with you instead of spamming spells from distance.

scosher

Eccocid said:
Eugh..i burnt out all of those cursing items by ding several times in New Londo. Now i can't damage the ghosts, how the hell am i supposed to end the level? Does the guy at roof sells them?(Even reaching to him will be a big hassle bohoho)

Undead female merchant in that sewer tunnel sells them.

However, you should really be using gold serpent ring while in New Londo. The ghosts drop 2 transient curses like candy and you can easily stockpile 30+ just going through the level normally.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Eccocid said:
The guy on the roof should have relocated to Firelink Shrine

Eccocid said:

The female undead merchant sells them for 4k each. Buy a couple, arm yourself with the serpent ring that ups the item find and go kill those ghosts. I had over 30 by the time I finished that area just from the ghost drops. I also died about 5 times, so that could explain it.

edit: damn you scosher!!

EasyMode

Eccocid said:
I think he wont be selling them until the patch hits. Guess you'll have to get cursed by a frog then. Better to get the cure from Oswald or Snuggly before you get cursed though.

Edit: NM, beaten badly that time :p

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
kyubajin said:
About to enter Anor Londo on my NG+ character. I'm really not feeling the 40% increase in difficulty at all. I breezed through Blightown and Sen's Fortress without dying once :D Maybe I just know the levels too well.

I'm SL 90 and have been playing in human form 90% of the time yet I'm not getting invaded at all, except a couple of times in the Depths...

Missing 3 covenants, all weapons/miracles/pyromancies/sorceries, 5 reinforcements and the plat is mine :D

I could be wrong but NG+ seems to up the damage enemies do to you more so than nerfing how much damage the player can do. It's like, something that could kill you in 10 hits before can now kill you in 3-4 but you can still kill them with around the same amount hits the player could before.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Got through Blight Town over the weekend. Good lord, I thought the FPS issues were just a joke. How wrong I was.

Also summoned a player for the first time and it was great. I'm going to head back to earlier bosses are start dropping my sign to help players out. Co-op in this game really is a lot of fun.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The black knight in catacombs most certainly does not drop his great axe 100%. Unless I fought the wrong great axe wielding black knight..

Booshka

Omotesando said:
It really sucks rank 3 covenants don't have benefits. They should patch this up.
I took Darkwraith to +3 and the R2 Humanity suck takes TEN Humanity from the other player. Some guy was away and I stole 30 Humanity from him in like 15 seconds. Then he came back and lost the fight as well.

Been messing around with a Large Club +15 that I then enchant with Sunlight Blade. 2 handed it does 810 damage at 30 Strength 30 Faith. I then put on the Hornet ring and did a backstab with it and it did over 2K damage (first hit does 450, second hit does 1780 damage). I was amazed. The 3 hit riposte that it has is sweet too, it's the same as that 3 hit riposte on the Black Knight Great Axe. I doubt it will work well in PvP, but it was fun to experiment on the Forest Hunter NPC's. I can enchant it, then cast Vow of Silence, and just go melee crazy on people. I might just sprint around 2H and try to backstab people for one hit kills.

JRPereira

Eccocid said:
Btw a tactic i made up is (if you are a mage); wear the biggest and most bulky armor and grab a huge ass sword when you are invaded or invading. So the other player thinks you are a pure melee build and surprise them with an overpowered combustion when they approach you. Well it doesn't work everything but sometimes when ppl see u with a big sword and a shield they try to duel with you instead of spamming spells from distance.

My Sorcerer has 50 int, 30 faith, and good power with just about anything you can cast... and I've set him up with +5 Giant's everything minus an Antiquated skirt. He looks pretty knightly and I usually go into battle with a Black Knight Shield and Moonlight Greatsword. It seems that a lot of players have never seen the Moonlight Greatsword, so they probably think I'm playing as a general beefy warrior build. Must be quite a shock when all of the sudden I swap my shield for Velka's Talisman or sword for Logan's Catalyst and hit them with a hefty dose of magic damage. Better yet is that the character has both the Havel and Dark Woodgrain rings on, so he's completely unburdened and capable of flipping around effortlessly.

[edit] Actually, even better than any of that is people who try to lure you near the edge of a bridge/cliff with a talisman out for Force/Wrath of God (somehow this is a frequent occurrence). People generally aren't prepared for the two-handed R2 attack on the Moonlight Greatsword and the knockback is so absurd that you can pretty easily off anyone with a single use.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
roxya said:
None of 'em are 100% drop.

It's just that the English wiki says it is..though that wiki has been wrong a million times I don't even know why I go to it sometimes instead of the J-wiki all the time. I don't like the J-wiki layout actually.

roxya

worldrevolution said:
It's just that the English wiki says it is..though that wiki has been wrong a million times I don't even know why I go to it sometimes instead of the J-wiki all the time. I don't like the J-wiki layout actually.

Which one? Kinda annoying, there are two popular English wikis, both incomplete in different areas :< Wish we could stick to one!

I'm an expert

I use the one linked to the Japanese livedoor one, think on wikispaces. I only go there for the weapon stuff really since their tables are cleaner.

Futureman

I tried the Bell Gargoyles a few times but was getting whooped.

I'm level 14 (I think) with a Claymore Sword at +3. Am I too weak at this point in the game and I should try leveling up some? Or should I just be working on my combat if I'm not able to beat the Bell Gargoyles?

I'm a Pyromancer. Should I be upgrading the Fireball spell? I don't even know how... by attuning magic?

scosher

Futureman said:

I'm level 14 (I think) with a Claymore Sword at +3. Am I too weak at this point in the game and I should try leveling up some? Or should I just be working on my combat if I'm not able to beat the Bell Gargoyles?

I'm a Pyromancer. Should I be upgrading the Fireball spell? I don't even know how... by attuning magic?

Your level and weapon is fine, although you could upgrade the Claymore to +5 without too much additional effort.

Try using the lightning resin to enchant your weapon, or revive as human and summon help, even if it's Solaire. He's a good distraction/meat shield.

Booshka

Futureman said:

You'll be able to upgrade your pyromancy later, by upgrading the actual glove, and also by buying better spells. Attune magic is just selecting which magics you want to commit to a slot to use.

If you can, upgrade that Claymore more, it's a great weapon. For the fight, you can summon Solaire right in front of the fog door. You need to be human form to see him. A good strategy for the Gargoyles is to be quick and agile while 2 handing your weapon.

I'm an expert

Go human and summon Solaire, he'll help. But yes at that level and that weapon you should be fine.

Futureman

ok thanks guys.

This game frustrates me pretty bad sometimes with all you have to know/learn, but it is damn rewarding when you clear a section you've been stuck on. Going at this rate it will probably take me a year to beat this game ha.

I'm an expert

Yeah... it's really not cheating to open a wiki and spend hours reading nothing but stats and upgrading and the best paths. Most games don't require it but this and Demon's get much better when you actually understand every little detail of the systems.

10 hours in now and I'm loving it.

I'm at the point where nearly all of my paths lead to death though, ha. Going to have to pick which of the bosses I want to try and fight or make my way through a path that I don't think is the right one yet.

I love the way I keep opening shortcuts etc. The world is so well designed.

Good god,
Gwyn is such a dick. This reminds me of the King Allant fight from Demon's Souls. I walk into the fight, assuring myself there will be a cutscene because I mean, this is the final boss right? Ya, then I got destroyed. 10 times in a row. Any tips on killing this dick?

DarkSoul520 said:
Good god,
Gwyn is such a dick. This reminds me of the King Allant fight from Demon's Souls. I walk into the fight, assuring myself there will be a cutscene because I mean, this is the final boss right? Ya, then I got destroyed. 10 times in a row. Any tips on killing this dick?
Parry. Parry and riposte until he is dead.

Booshka

DarkSoul520 said:
Good god,
Orange Guidance Soapstone

Write Message

Try Parrying

IrishNinja

1) parry. i wasnt good at it, he made me learn the skill. it's devastating to him, and others on here said wear the hornet ring to really do damage.

2) iron flesh & crystal shield cheese him if you gotta, but i like to fight him the first time on (somewhat) equal grounds. if you're crazy like that too - race towards one of the small pillars - you can likely get behind one to heal or just get back some precious stamina.
if he tagged me once, he'd be good for all 3 with that combo (likely due to my shit poise), and if he started it again, it might be all over, especially if i backed up against something. you can play keep-away behind any pillar, and take your hits when he either a) tries to grab you (do not let him do this, it's awful) or b) when he goes to kick you, but unless you're really fast, id say take your one hit and get back to your zone where you can dodge his bullshit. this strategy takes way longer, and again, if you parry even a few times you'll bring his health down tremendously faster.

good luck!

tokkun

140.85 said:
I could be wrong but NG+ seems to up the damage enemies do to you more so than nerfing how much damage the player can do. It's like, something that could kill you in 10 hits before can now kill you in 3-4 but you can still kill them with around the same amount hits the player could before.

That's how it works in the beginning of NG+ because you're fighting weak enemies and you still have your awesome weapons. When you get to later areas where you were already using good weapons the first time around, you'll notice how much enemy HP has increased.

cj_iwakura

So me and a random phantom come up on the Anor Londo Archers o Death.

I gesture at him to go to the left. I gesture that I'll go to the right.

We break up, and we nail them both. Perfect team work. No words.

That's the true Dark Souls experience.

Booshka

cj_iwakura said:
So me and a random phantom come up on the Anor Londo Archers o Death.

I gesture at him to go to the left. I gesture that I'll go to the right.

We break up, and we nail them both. Perfect team work. No words.

That's the true Dark Souls experience.
Naw, Private Chat makes Dark Souls awesome.

Broseybrose

I was a Demon's Souls master. I will be a Dark Souls master, but I need a little help.

I'm at the point in the game where Ive followed the recommended path: Burg-> Parish-> Depths-> Blighttown.

Once Quelaag was finally defeated and the 2nd bell rung, I explored Darkroot Garden and Basin. I explored New Londo Ruins but couldn't make it all the way through. Once I bought the crest of Astoria and passed into that area the phantoms I cant lock on to destroy me (Ive been hollow for the past 30 hours or so).

I explored Valley of Drakes but I can only beat one Drake using my magic then I must return to bonfire to replenish my spells. So as of now my method is to run past them.

I explored the Great Hollow but never made it to the bottom.

I tried Sen's Fortress but it feels as if Im underpowered.

SO... Question 1: Is there a way for me to get to Anor Londo? I need to get to the BlackSmith there so he can forge my Quelaag sword.

Question 2: AM I underpowered? Im still running around with Drake sword +2 or Scimitar +10 (+ Magic Weapon) when i need it. Drake does 240 and Scimitar with Magic Weapon does a little more.

Stats
VIT- 18
ATT- 14
END- 20
STR- 16
DEX- 16
RES- 14
INT- 18
FAI- 14

If you were my character, where would you go next to grab a weapon, soul farm, or clear out? Im going for a 70/30 melee/magic build.

.GqueB.

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
You're not really screwed. You just play the game as it was intended to play. The master key might be good if you're playing a second play through with a new character, but if you're starting out, you might end up going to the wrong place (ie: harder place). Except Blighttown. I think my eyes got a little worse from the skips.
Yea agreed. Off the top of my head I remember one door you can open that you simply shouldnt open at that point in the game.

Havel rape

matmanx1

I finished my NG today and only had to fight Gwynn twice to defeat him. Everyone says parry but honestly speed and poise are your friends, as well as plenty of stamina and a beefy shield.

I used the Black Iron Armor except for the Mask of the Child for the stamina regen. Black Iron Shield +12 which had 82'ish stability and 90% fire resist. Havel's Ring and the Dark Woodgrain Ring allowed me to flip around anything I couldn't block and to get distance for a flask when I needed it. EDIT - I think the Dark Woodgrain Ring makes this fight much easier because the faster you can move and recover from an evasion the more time you have to punish Gwynn between his moves.

My weapon of choice was the ascended pyro flame and great combustion but you could employ the same gear and strategy with the 1h weapon of your choice and still win, it would just take longer. Anytime Gwynn goes to grab you or try and kick you you will have a window to damage him. You also have a small window after a combo but you would need a quick weapon to take advantage of it.

roxya

Broseybrose said:
I was a Demon's Souls master. I will be a Dark Souls master, but I need a little help.

I'm at the point in the game where Ive followed the recommended path: Burg-> Parish-> Depths-> Blighttown.

Once Quelaag was finally defeated and the 2nd bell rung, I explored Darkroot Garden and Basin. I explored New Londo Ruins but couldn't make it all the way through. Once I bought the crest of Astoria and passed into that area the phantoms I cant lock on to destroy me (Ive been hollow for the past 30 hours or so).

I explored Valley of Drakes but I can only beat one Drake using my magic then I must return to bonfire to replenish my spells. So as of now my method is to run past them.

SO... Question 1: Is there a way for me to get to Anor Londo? I need to get to the BlackSmith there so he can forge my Quelaag sword.

Question 2: AM I underpowered? Im still running around with Drake sword +2 or Scimitar +10 (+ Magic Weapon) when i need it. Drake does 240 and Scimitar with Magic Weapon does a little more.

Stats
VIT- 18
ATT- 14
END- 20
STR- 16
DEX- 16
RES- 14
INT- 18
FAI- 14

If you were my character, where would you go next to grab a weapon, soul farm, or clear out? Im going for a 70/30 melee/magic build.

You need to finish Sen's to get to Anor Londo. You should do Sen's next. Getting the lightning spear from there will make your life a lot easier.

.GqueB.

Banned
Broseybrose said:

Stats
VIT- 18
ATT- 14
END- 20
STR- 16
DEX- 16
RES- 14
INT- 18
FAI- 14

As far as I know, you need to go through Sens to get to Andor. At this point in the game, I tackled the Dark Root garden and completed that entire area. Then I joined the Covenant and did some invading. If youre lucky, you can stumble upon some random guy who will drop a couple hundred thousand souls. Spend this forging weapons and armor to better prepare you for Andor Londo. Hate to use this reference but one does not just walk to the blacksmith in Andor. You have to more or less go through the entire level to find him so if you feel underpowered for Sens then you probably arent ready for Ando (someone correct me if Im wrong on this)

Also, youre not underpowered for Sens. Its a bit more intimidating at first because of what greets you at the door. To make that fight easier, walk to the left or right and get their attention, then as they are about to walk down the stairs, trigger the trap and block. More often than not you'll kill one of them. Back stab the other for great victory. The rest of the level is all about being careful as its pretty sparsely populated. Bring some poison arrows as well. That helps.

IrishNinja

quick question: without the master key, is there any other way to take the new londo > drake valley (ooohhh) > blighttown shortcut? NG++, was just wanting to see if i could skip the depths/annoying part of blight.

Booshka

IrishNinja said:
quick question: without the master key, is there any other way to take the new londo > drake valley (ooohhh) > blighttown shortcut? NG++, was just wanting to see if i could skip the depths/annoying part of blight.
Go through the forest, down to where the Grass Crest Shield is and go up the Valley of Drakes from there. Or,
drain
New Londo ruins and go through that way. Both of those will let you skip Depths and most of Blighttown. I did it for my NG+++. Just make sure you grab the key when you come in the back way of Blighttown.

x3r0123

IrishNinja said:

yes it is possible
kill the npc at new londo

Instro

IrishNinja said:
What timing.
There's a tunnel leading from darkroot basin into valley of drakes, its right by where the black knight is in darkroot.
I had no idea it existed before today because I discovered it during my NG+. There's also a bonfire in there.
Quicker than trying to drain New Londo.
The things you find on a 2nd playthrough :lol.

.GqueB.

Banned
Broseybrose said:
Thanks guys!
I forgot to mention that theres an item you receive after a few wins with the forrest cov. that helps out at a particularly stupid area in Andor Londo.

God its so stupid.

IrishNinja

yes! thanks guys, this thread is awesome. totally forgot about that basin campfire.

which key is it that unlocks the way back through new londo, where's that one again? so gonna get sen's tied up tonight so the weapon trophy's done, then it's just SUNBROS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom