• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

worldrevolution said:
bleh..since the patch I haven't farmed once. Just running to the blacksmith in AL nets you enough souls to buy every shard you'd ever want. Don't waste time farming!

The patch increases souls given by enemies?

Zzoram said:
The patch increases souls given by enemies?

That's what I'm saying...... say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

No way doing anything in Anor Londo is going to give you all the souls you could need when Twinkling Titanite is going to be, what..... 8000 souls?

worldrevolution said:
bleh..since the patch I haven't farmed once. Just running to the blacksmith in AL nets you enough souls to buy every shard you'd ever want. Don't waste time farming!

essentially, you're playing another game :(

have you had any luck getting a random drop slab?

IrishNinja

ugh, got summoned once in anor londo in the last hour or so, and fucked it up against ornstein. sorry guy, hope solaire was more useful. :/

actually, i got summoned another time, but the dude ran off and got killed by an invader that must've already been there or something like right when i showed. god, i wish they'd patch this thing already, 50 faith is ridiculous.

i think im gonna move my sigil to another zone that people have to do, like uh, queelags or the depths or something.

*edit just saw your post, toasty - gonna try the painted world first.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
DigitalDevil said:
That's what I'm saying...... say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

No way doing anything in Anor Londo is going to give you all the souls you could need when Twinkling Titanite is going to be, what..... 8000 souls?

Yeah Twinkling is 8000, green is like..5000? I didn't play AL before the patch but uh..the silver knights are all 1k-1500k and the giant knights in the main hall are 3k each, and there's two of them outside as well. Just the run from the bonfire inside to the blacksmith can net you 10k souls..one twinkling each trip.. The first time I got to the blacksmith I had like 80k souls just from having cleared out the whole area..had 120k when I finished the Painted World too (died a lot of course).

As for the rock slab, yesterday I killed a random crystal gecko and got a titanite slab. Was happy about that..don't think I'm near anything that drops anything valuable yet though. Covenant stuff drops like crazy, and I just farmed 30 humanity from the rats in the sewers in about 45 minutes, though I'm sure that hasn't been changed.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I've only just reached the bottom of Blighttown and finally figuring out how all this Hollow/Undead/Human stuff works. Started seeing a bunch of soul signs, but haven't summoned anyone yet, as I feel I should try all bosses on my own the first time round.

Just met the lovely Quelaag as well...

Seriously, a giant hairy-arsed flame-retardent spider that pukes lava and has a creepy female torso atop it. Totally gross.

I got invaded by what I'm pretty sure is an NPC black phantom, 'Mildred'. Killed her, and found her waiting to be summoned at the boss fog. She died, and I died before getting Quelaag to half-health. Will Mildred be back? Any tips in general?

What a fantastic game. I'm really impressed it's living up to the expectations after DeSouls. Many people may argue Dark is the weaker of the two, and it does have its fair share of bugs/online issues. But overall it feels like a more coherent, flowing experience. This is partly thanks to the open-world, but mostly to the consistently great level design and slow-but-steady pacing.

I haven't felt too stumped yet; always able to find another path if I don't feel up to a challenge. With DeSouls, it was still a unique and excellent experience, but I hit many more brick walls along the way.

worldrevolution said:
Yeah Twinkling is 8000, green is like..5000? I didn't play AL before the patch but uh..the silver knights are all 1k-1500k and the giant knights in the main hall are 3k each, and there's two of them outside as well. Just the run from the bonfire inside to the blacksmith can net you 10k souls..one twinkling each trip.. The first time I got to the blacksmith I had like 80k souls just from having cleared out the whole area..had 120k when I finished the Painted World too (died a lot of course).

As for the rock slab, yesterday I killed a random crystal gecko and got a titanite slab. Was happy about that..don't think I'm near anything that drops anything valuable yet though. Covenant stuff drops like crazy, and I just farmed 30 humanity from the rats in the sewers in about 45 minutes, though I'm sure that hasn't been changed.

holy shit! Come on patch!!!!! That has definitely changed. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to get 3 humanity there with the covetous serpent ring! 30? FUCK YEAH.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
DigitalDevil said:
holy shit! Come on patch!!!!! That has definitely changed. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to get 3 humanity there with the covetous serpent ring! 30? FUCK YEAH.

I started with the ring on and 1 humanity. Took me like 15 minutes to get up to 7 humanity and then about 45 (was watching an episode of Dexter) to get to 30. Every time I got a humanity I used it so it'd up my drop rate. The beginning was rough, usually took 3-4 respawns for one but by the time I had 20 humanity it was about 2 drops every other run. I just did the group of rats right down the stairs from the bonfire. And now finally I have chaos covenant at rank 2..

To be fair, I never had trouble getting the odd humanity drop from any random rats..I think it was more just me stacking the ring and humanity than an increase in overall humanity drops from the patch.

worldrevolution said:
I started with the ring on and 1 humanity. Took me like 15 minutes to get up to 7 humanity and then about 45 (was watching an episode of Dexter) to get to 30. Every time I got a humanity I used it so it'd up my drop rate. The beginning was rough, usually took 3-4 respawns for one but by the time I had 20 humanity it was about 2 drops every other run. I just did the group of rats right down the stairs from the bonfire. And now finally I have chaos covenant at rank 2..

To be fair, I never had trouble getting the odd humanity drop from any random rats..I think it was more just me stacking the ring and humanity than an increase in overall humanity drops from the patch.

well, drop rates are supposedly something they are tweaking in 1.04/5. Specifically humanity drop rates, but I think others as well. I can't wait to see it for myself! Maybe my dex build will finally be vindicated!

Side note: I received one titanite slab from Stray Demon, which I would like to use on my Lightning Iaito +4. I would also like to take my Bandit's Knife +11 to +15 normal but I will need another slab for that. Is there another slab available in a single playthrough?

Soulhouf

DigitalDevil said:
Side note: I received one titanite slab from Stray Demon, which I would like to use on my Lightning Iaito +4. I would also like to take my Bandit's Knife +11 to +15 normal but I will need another slab for that. Is there another slab available in a single playthrough?
Darkwraiths in New Londo ruins drop them occasionally.

scosher

DigitalDevil said:
well, drop rates are supposedly something they are tweaking in 1.04/5. Specifically humanity drop rates, but I think others as well. I can't wait to see it for myself! Maybe my dex build will finally be vindicated!

Two guaranteed titanite slabs in one playthrough: Stray Demon and completing Siegmeyer's quest to full: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/siegmeyer-of-catarina
Also, note, when you get to the point where Siegmeyer is in Blight-town, go free Sieglinde in Duke's Archives first (and talk to her in Fire Shrine)...then continue on with Siegmeyer's quest

The crystal lizards in Great Hollow also have a small chance of dropping slabs, so go there with 30 humanity + gold serpent ring.

scosher said:
Two guaranteed titanite slabs in one playthrough: Stray Demon and completing Siegmeyer's quest to full: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/siegmeyer-of-catarina
Also, note, when you get to the point where Siegmeyer is in Blight-town, go free Sieglinde in Duke's Archives first (and talk to her in Fire Shrine)...then continue on with Siegmeyer's quest

The crystal lizards in Great Hollow also have a small chance of dropping slabs, so go there with 30 humanity + gold serpent ring.

Oh great! I've been babying Siegmeyer's quest and have completed up to the Blighttown section of his quest. I'll keep at it!

Soulhouf

DigitalDevil said:
hell I can't even get them to drop CHUNKS with any regularity, never mind a SLAB. Guess I'll try some more!
With 30 humanities + the golden serpent ring I got 2 slabs in 4 runs.
I was lucky I guess but at least the drop is not extremely rare.
If that place wasn't so scary I would go and farm there for more though.

Soulhouf said:
With 30 humanities + the golden serpent ring I got 2 slabs in 4 runs.
I was lucky I guess but at least the drop is not extremely rare.
If that place wasn't so scary I would go and farm there for more though.

I get tons of transient curses there, but I made "the run" to kill all the dark wraiths 5 times last night with the ring on and ~50 humanity and didn't get a SINGLE. CHUNK.

However, my first run through the area I got 8 chunks (5 of those from wraiths).

Johnas

FINALLY!

Gwyn is down.

Solo melee, and I didn't even master the parry/riposte. Just two-handed a Longsword +15 and rolled out of the way. Didn't have to use the pillar cheese strategy either. SL 65.

I wish I could have recorded it, I'd love to watch myself.

Final thoughts-game is awesome, but not quite as good as Demon's Souls. I'm a big atmosphere fan, and this game seemed to lack it in comparison (Demon's Souls was drenched in it, imo). I also echo the sentiments of lots of other posters here with my relative dissatisfaction with the later level design. Even though this game was bigger, I think I'd prefer the next one to be a little smaller (somewhere between Demon's and Dark in size) with the level design matching the intricacy of the earlier Dark Souls levels.

Other than that, can't really muster any other criticisms. I haven't played online, I know that has its own set of problems.

So far this is GOTY, with Portal 2 a very close second. Still haven't played the slew of other high-profile releases this fall though.

Sullichin

Johnas said:
FINALLY!

Gwyn is down.

Solo melee, and I didn't even master the parry/riposte. Just two-handed a Longsword +15 and rolled out of the way. Didn't have to use the pillar cheese strategy either. SL 65.

I wish I could have recorded it, I'd love to watch myself.

Final thoughts-game is awesome, but not quite as good as Demon's Souls. I'm a big atmosphere fan, and this game seemed to lack it in comparison (Demon's Souls was drenched in it, imo). I also echo the sentiments of lots of other posters here with my relative dissatisfaction with the later level design. Even though this game was bigger, I think I'd prefer the next one to be a little smaller (somewhere between Demon's and Dark in size) with the level design matching the intricacy of the earlier Dark Souls levels.

Other than that, can't really muster any other criticisms. I haven't played online, I know that has its own set of problems.
Congrats. Definitely play online, it doesn't work as well as it should but it's really, really cool.
Can't wait for this patch, glad it seems to be making humanity easier to get.

Numpt3

Well I just got done with Sen's fortress. That was awesome, I was dreading going in there after everything I'd heard about it but it wasn't that bad at all.

I remember early on in the game when I was in the undead burg and I glanced up at that massive wall way up high on the cliff top, thinking to myself that it must just be part of the scenery or something. Now I'm up there and there is a whole other city beyond it, game is huge!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
In NG+ now. Honestly, despite enemies hitting harder, it feels pretty easy because you're just so used to fighting at this point. It feels badass to go into a group of 2-3 people, and then just parry/backstab them one by one like in a kung fu movie. Of course, I still die if I get careless, though.

Can someone explain the consequences of my actions at the ending? I
linked the fire and saw my character burn, and I realize I'm replacing Gwyn's role, but I don't understand the purpose of this. Why did I have to succeed Gwyn, and what does this mean for the people in Lordran? What happens to the Darksign and the undead?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Akuun said:
In NG+ now. Honestly, despite enemies hitting harder, it feels pretty easy because you're just so used to fighting at this point. I love just walking into groups of enemies and relying on the invincibility from parries/backstabs to whittle down numbers. Of course, I still die if I get careless, though.

linked the fire and saw my character burn, and I realize I'm replacing Gwyn's role, but I don't understand the purpose of this. Why did I have to succeed Gwyn, and what does this mean for the people in Lordran? What happens to the Darksign and the undead?

Supposedly this is explained more if you
don't talk to Frampt and give the Lord Vessel to Kaathe in the Abyss instead + have the Pendant in your inventory.
I am in the process of doing this but haven't seen the end yet.

Akuun

140.85 said:
don't talk to Frampt and give the Lord Vessel to Kaathe in the Abyss instead + have the Pendant in your inventory.
Oh so that's what the pendant is for? I followed the whole "pick the pendant as your starting item because it enhances your story" advice but it saw NO USE WHATSOEVER in my first playthrough. It got especially silly when
Reah dropped ANOTHER pendant that stacked with the one I started with. So I finished hte game with two pendants that didn't do anything.

I guess I'll do what you're doing too. I'm not looking to plat or anything, and just want to find out more about the game.

elty

140.85 said:

I don't have the
pendant but Kaethe told me all the stuff anwyays

elty

Akuun said:

According the intro the power of the lords
came from fire. The first flame was diminishing so Gwyn went in to keep that thing burning. Now the flame is diminishing again so they need to find someone to replace Gwyn. Of course they don't want to do it themselves to get burnt, so they ask you (who seems to be strong enough to beat Ornstein and Smough = last longer as energy tank) to do it. I supposed that means everything is kept status quo - those "gods" keep their power but I have no idea about the dark sign.

I heard that the pendant
just adds a few additional lines of dialogue to the conversation with Kaathe.
Anyone confirm this?

Eccocid

Funny story;

After clearing Sen's Fostress and heading to Anor Londo i checked wiki guide and read some stuff about Catacombs. I never noticed such place existed i thought it was about those graveyard near Firelink Shrine. The skeletons owned me couple of times at the beginning of the game, right before entering Sen's i went there again and killed them.

But I never noticed the stairway heading down to catacombs lol.

What happens next had happened like in 20 seconds.

So i rushed in, omg more skeletons and they keep reviving so i started to run like a crazy rat, kept agreeing more skeletons and some human enemies almost fell from a bridge and died in an explosion(dunno how it happened ta that time). I kept stumbling n to more skeletons and i was going crazy and screaming like a girl in front of the tv. Eventually i fell from a place and i was like omg i am dead but i haven't i kept falling as skeletons were raining from up above. Then there was a cutscene with a big meanie skeleton i thought i am a goner for sure now but he was that blacksmith who opened a way on wall. Meanwhile skeletons were raining from up above.

Lol i kept running in open area and stumbled to area boss which died in 3 combustion i think. As i killed the boss my heart was pouring like over 9000 per second. That was a very hilarious rush through catacombs and i was kinda lucky that i survived..till..i stepped in to tomb of giants. I saw some sparkles on ground followed them and saw a treasure. Some idiot wrote a msg like "ROLL!" i did and died lol.

Later i entered and killed those necromancers but never managed to find Patches at there.

Leunam

elty said:
I think that's the old witch ring?

Ah yeah, I confused the two gifts. I didn't pay much attention to them since I saw Master Key and immediately chose that.

Dark Souls wiki says you get an alternate ending if you don't join any covenants.

tokkun

Akuun said:
In NG+ now. Honestly, despite enemies hitting harder, it feels pretty easy because you're just so used to fighting at this point. It feels badass to go into a group of 2-3 people, and then just parry/backstab them one by one like in a kung fu movie. Of course, I still die if I get careless, though.

NG+ starts getting harder when you get to the late game areas because enemies have a lot of HP and your weapons will have barely improved if you already upgraded them the first time around.

The normal skeleton enemies in the Catacombs, for example, took something like 8 hits each with my upgraded divine winged spear in NG+.

Leunam said:
Dark Souls wiki says you get an alternate ending if you don't join any covenants.

That's a prerelease rumor that was disproven. Basically if anyone claims this sort of stuff, go to youtube to look for proof. If you can't find a video showing an alternate ending/additional lines of dialog/whatever then it probably isn't true.

Wool

elohel said:
where is snuggly?

Go back to the asylum. From the crow nest, start walking down the hill back to the building. Probably less than half way down, before you even encounter an enemy, you take a left and there is a nest on a skinny ledge. It's probably easier to see going up the hill I guess...

Did this get posted yet? From the Gameinformer interview with the director of Dark Souls.

In interviews leading up to Dark Souls’ release, you suggested that players should go with the pendant starting gift. There’s still a lot of confusion and mystery in the community surrounding what this item affects. Now that the game has been out for a while, care to give any further clues?

Hm.... I am very happy to get this question because this is exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of the item. Please find it out on your own! [laughs]

This can't possibly just mean trading it for a Souvenir of Reprisal right?

Oh no. I hope somebody finds out it's purpose soon so we don;t have to suffer through years of speculation.

Akuun

elty said:
According the intro the power of the lords
came from fire. The first flame was diminishing so Gwyn went in to keep that thing burning. Now the flame is diminishing again so they need to find someone to replace Gwyn. Of course they don't want to do it themselves to get burnt, so they ask you (who seems to be strong enough to beat Ornstein and Smough = last longer as energy tank) to do it. I supposed that means everything is kept status quo - those "gods" keep their power but I have no idea about the dark sign.
So in a sense,
you were used by the gods, since no one told you why you were doing all this, and now you're stuck burning until the next poor bastard comes along. That sucks.

I'm probably done with this game since Saint's Row comes out tomorrow. But if I was trying to 100%, and I don't want to be invaded, any negatives to unplugging my network cable and turning human so I won't be invaded?

Do you NEED to invade/be invaded to complete all achievements? One of the main issues I have with this game is that I never got summoning/invading/summoned to work once due to location and router settings or whatever.

Johnas

Man, the bell gargoyles are a joke with Quelaag's Furysword +5 on NG+.

That was the only boss I got help on the first time through (summoned Solaire).

NG+ is really fun, I picked the Master Key at the beginning of my first playthrough, and used it then (to some effect) but it really shines in NG+.

Dark Knight Halbred+5 is so yummy. Has become my primary weapon in NG+. Not the most powerful weapon but really easy and fun to use.

Akuun said:
So in a sense,
you were used by the gods, since no one told you why you were doing all this, and now you're stuck burning until the next poor bastard comes along. That sucks.

Unless,
you choose NOT to burn the fire, walk out the door, and become the Lord of Darkness

Booshka

Owlowiscious said:
I'm probably done with this game since Saint's Row comes out tomorrow. But if I was trying to 100%, and I don't want to be invaded, any negatives to unplugging my network cable and turning human so I won't be invaded?

Do you NEED to invade/be invaded to complete all achievements? One of the main issues I have with this game is that I never got summoning/invading/summoned to work once due to location and router settings or whatever.
You only need to be invaded by NPC's to get the achievements, actual online interaction is not required, so if you want, go ahead and play offline. If you are playing on 360, you can just start a party chat, and it will put the game in offline mode, you can still be online and check your friends list, talk in Party chat etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom