• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

IrishNinja said:
yes! thanks guys, this thread is awesome. totally forgot about that basin campfire.

which key is it that unlocks the way back through new londo, where's that one again? so gonna get sen's tied up tonight so the weapon trophy's done, then it's just SUNBROS

That's the New Londo key, located at the top of the Blightown shortcut (just at the end of the tunnel from Valley of the Drakes).

Zzoram

Pure melee is so much harder than having magic. It takes a lot longer to kill enemies and you're much more vulnerable to getting hit.

Super fun to play melee now though.

Beat it. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Now I want to work on my faith build, although getting into the Warrior of Sunlight covenant is going to be hard until the 1.04/1.05 patch comes out.

Small Mailman said:
Loving my hilarious Xanthous Crown, but shit am I stuck in this painting until I defeat the optional boss that I've already angered?

If you run behind her and fall off the walkway, it should return you to Anor Londo.

matmanx1

Zzoram said:
Pure melee is so much harder than having magic. It takes a lot longer to kill enemies and you're much more vulnerable to getting hit.

Without a doubt. My most fun gear setup is a Raw Parrying Dagger +5 (why Raw? Because I had to have something to upgrade to get the trophy!) in the left hand and any number of weapons in the right hand. Put on the Ninja Flip ring and zip around trying not to get hit, landing backstabs and ripostes, and you will feel and look like a boss doing it.

Obviously there are some enemies you can't parry or backstab and for those you want a beefy shield. Ninja Flip ring is still useful though!

elty

DarkSoul520 said:
If you run behind her and fall off the walkway, it should return you to Anor Londo.

She remembered so it won't work if you aggro her once.

Anyways Pricilla is pretty easy if you don't want her tail. Stand in white area so you can find her foot print. Once you found her do 3 quick strikes and she will appear. Her attack is slow so you can easily move behind her to chop chop.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is indeed an awesome thread. I was worried about lurking for fear of spoilers and such, but people in here are pretty considerate and now I'm familiar with the game, most concepts and names don't take me by surprise.

May I request any tips for Quelaag?
I'm currently rocking a Spear+7 and Grass Crest Shield+5 with mostly Elite Knight armour with Stone helmet. Got a bunch of other gear that may make that fight easier (assuming fire resistance is a plus).

The first time I fought her, I summoned Mildred who was waiting at the fog gate. However, she died and I wasn't very close to beating Quelaag. Will Mildred come back?

I have cleared out Burg, Parish, Depths, Darkroot, Asylum and Valley of Drakes (although not sure if there's more to it).
I'm level 42 with 29 End and 27 Dex as my main stats.
Are there any other options I can consider at this point? I came all the way down from the top of Blighttown, but feel like there's more of the swamp I haven't explored.
Haven't attempted any PVP/co-op yet, either. The only Covenant available to me is the Way of White.

Should I just stick at the bitch of Blighty with a more sensible approach? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Broseybrose

Another question: Has anyone killed Red Scale Dragon from Undead Burg? If so, how? If you know of multiple ways, what's the easiest? =]

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:

this. i indulge in pyro shit here on NG++ a lot more just to make my life easier, but melee all the way since demons', living on the edge!

Small Mailman said:
I did that and I died haha

haha, me too.

man, this patch cant come quick enough. this time i didnt free Lautrec (forgot the key), came back from Queelag, fire keeper's still gone. shit's buggy...unless they're trying to imply he was framed this time
im lookin at you, patches

B-Genius said:

She's really not all that different from the other bosses, namely she's vulnerable to close-range attacks from behind and the side. Don't get lava puked on you, don't get jumped on, and keep your distance during her explosion attack thing and there's not much else to the fight.

Good luck.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally making my way through Duke's Archives.. man..I hate points in games where the game wants you to die to progress the plot but your job as a player is of course to not die. The tutorial of Demon's makes sense but this..how could I have known.. anyway..

I also ran into Patches in the Tomb quickly. Apparently I already had a lantern before he kicked me in..don't remember from where though.

Broseybrose

B-Genius said:
This is indeed an awesome thread. I was worried about lurking for fear of spoilers and such, but people in here are pretty considerate and now I'm familiar with the game, most concepts and names don't take me by surprise.

I'm currently rocking a Spear+7 and Grass Crest Shield+5 with mostly Elite Knight armour with Stone helmet. Got a bunch of other gear that may make that fight easier (assuming fire resistance is a plus).

The first time I fought her, I summoned Mildred who was waiting at the fog gate. However, she died and I wasn't very close to beating Quelaag. Will Mildred come back?

I have cleared out Burg, Parish, Depths, Darkroot, Asylum and Valley of Drakes (although not sure if there's more to it).
I'm level 42 with 29 End and 27 Dex as my main stats.
Are there any other options I can consider at this point? I came all the way down from the top of Blighttown, but feel like there's more of the swamp I haven't explored.
Haven't attempted any PVP/co-op yet, either. The only Covenant available to me is the Way of White.

Should I just stick at the bitch of Blighty with a more sensible approach? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mildred will continue be there to summon as long as you are human.

Quelaag was the toughest boss fight Ive had in all of the SOULS series. I recommend going human and spawning as many phantoms as you can. It makes the fight so much easier. Also, learn her move set, learn when to roll away from her devastating AoE attack, and whittle away her health. It took me about 20 tries because I had no humanity. Finally I was summoned and we beat her, then with the humanity back in my world I summoned 2 phantoms and finally toppled her.

Grinchy

Banned
Zzoram said:

Yeah, after I made a Sorcerer I realized how easy magic made the game. I really like that character, but I will never forget playing through the game as my melee-only thief. I did get Cast Light, but other than that I basically played the whole game with the Bandit's Knife and loved it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Cheers for the quick responses, fellas.
Sounds like summoning may not be a bad idea after all.

"Don't get puked on" is sound, universal advice :)

Zzoram

My melee character has been rocking a Gargoyle Axe +5 for a while now.

I've been trying to play in human form as often as I can. I got summon help for Gargoyles and Gaping Dragon, and in both cases the 2 phantom allies dutifully chopped off the tail ASAP for me without me even telling them to do so.

Dark Souls has the best community.

I've been debating going for Fire/Lightning weapons or going for DEX weapons. Scaling is getting a buff in the next patch, but the real strength of normal weapons is being able to use resins/crystal magic weapon, and I'm restricting myself to no magic. I'm not sure how useful resins will be in PvP, and I'm not sure how annoying it may be to stock up on resins.

tokkun

Zzoram said:
I've been debating going for Fire/Lightning weapons or going for DEX weapons. Scaling is getting a buff in the next patch, but the real strength of normal weapons is being able to use resins/crystal magic weapon, and I'm restricting myself to no magic. I'm not sure how useful resins will be in PvP, and I'm not sure how annoying it may be to stock up on resins considering that vendors don't have unlimited supplies.

One of the vendors has unlimited charcoal resin. Undead female merchant I think.

Even without resin/enchant, Queelag's Fury Sword does better DPS than the +5 Lightning Iaito on my 35 DEX character as long as you have the humanity bonus. It's also effective against shields since 75% of the damage is in fire.

Of course, putting an extra 20 points into VIT or END and using an elemental weapon is a better strategy for lower level PvP. If you're planning on going to 120, you will have plenty of points to spread around if you're not using magic.

IrishNinja said:
man, this patch cant come quick enough. this time i didnt free Lautrec (forgot the key), came back from Queelag, fire keeper's still gone. shit's buggy...unless they're trying to imply he was framed this time
im lookin at you, patches

No, he escapes on his own. He won't give you a sunlight medal if you don't help him.

Also,
praise_the_sun_by_einhajar-d4fpvq5.jpg

matmanx1

Yeah I really think that with some humanity stockpiled Quelaag's Fury Sword is arguably the best 1 handed weapon in the game. As long as your target isn't fire resistant it will outperform weapons with higher numbered attack power just because most of it's damage comes from fire. I can sort of see why they are lowering it's fire damage output in 1.04/1.05.

I one-shot the Bell Gargoyle's with Solaire earlier using my Lightning Spear +5 and Great Combustion and was going merrily along only to die to Capra Demon. I almost had him dead but as I was running back up the stairs his 2 handed swing nicked me and killed me from full health (956 hp I think?). It was pretty shocking.

I also offed Lautrec at the Firelink Shrine and he dropped the Ring (my second, I already had one in inventory) and 5 humanities which if I remember right is pretty much the same thing he drops if you invade his area later. I'm glad to have the murdering scum gone, honestly.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
matmanx1 said:
I also offed Lautrec at the Firelink Shrine and he dropped the Ring (my second, I already had one in inventory)
I'm gonna spare him because I'm looking forward to
beating the shit out of him as a spirit of vengeance later

elty

I am on my second play through and for some reason I just can't get the red dragon spawn to do the arrow trick. I went to the bridge to spawn the dragon, then head back to Firelink Shrine all the way back, then use the shortcut to reach Parish. From there I head back to the tower, but the dragon was not there. I did pretty much the same thing on my first play through and it worked.

elty

Broseybrose said:
Mildred will continue be there to summon as long as you are human.

Quelaag was the toughest boss fight Ive had in all of the SOULS series. I recommend going human and spawning as many phantoms as you can. It makes the fight so much easier. Also, learn her move set, learn when to roll away from her devastating AoE attack, and whittle away her health. It took me about 20 tries because I had no humanity. Finally I was summoned and we beat her, then with the humanity back in my world I summoned 2 phantoms and finally toppled her.

Quelaag isn't that bad with the butcher phantom. She was pretty useless as some pathing bug prevent her from engaging in my play though. Probably took her half the battle just to get over the lava.

Queelag is best fought with <25% equip load. All her attacks are highly telegraphed and you can dodge everything she does.

The attacks to look out for are her forward flame spurt which can kill you pretty easily at low levels. She raises her sword up when she does this. Do two back rolls to get out of its reach, or you can roll to the side and get in some hits (be careful because it tracks if you roll too early). Also her AoE can be pretty damaging but it takes a moment to charge up which you can see when she pats the spiders head usually after you've hit her too many times.

Best times to attack are when she's spewing lava and after her sword combo. Roll towards her after the second hit and the third will miss giving you time to get 2-3 two-handed wacks.

A few bosses are actually easier to manage without help if you're a melee character, namely Queelag and Centipede Demon since you know they're reacting to you and you only.

Seeing Solaire fighting Centipede was hilarious.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Solaire on Gaping was so worthless..he got owned so quickly and he doesn't even really distract it that much considering it will always run past you.

Ravidrath

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but it wasn't in the first post, so I thought I'd ask anyway...

Any update on when 1.04 will be coming out in the U.S. and Europe?

Work pushed me into dropping the game for a bit, but I plan to come back to it once 1.04 is out.

IrishNinja

toasty_T said:
Holy shit.

I did a plunging attack on Taurus Demon in NG+ with my Lightning Zweihander and did over 3k damage

fucking nice.

also, that drawing with solaire was awesome.
down to just the Sunbros, and the red wyvern wouldn't glitch so i had to actually fight him this time...already to go, but they won't have me at 33 faith + 1 assist (thank god that dude crystal ring shielded the twins). putting my sigil at the gargoyles yields nothing, fuck i wish they'd just patch already.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
toasty_T said:
Queelag is best fought with <25% equip load. All her attacks are highly telegraphed and you can dodge everything she does.

The attacks to look out for are her forward flame spurt which can kill you pretty easily at low levels. She raises her sword up when she does this. Do two back rolls to get out of its reach, or you can roll to the side and get in some hits (be careful because it tracks if you roll too early). Also her AoE can be pretty damaging but it takes a moment to charge up which you can see when she pats the spiders head usually after you've hit her too many times.

Best times to attack are when she's spewing lava and after her sword combo. Roll towards her after the second hit and the third will miss giving you time to get 2-3 two-handed wacks.

A few bosses are actually easier to manage without help if you're a melee character, namely Queelag and Centipede Demon since you know they're reacting to you and you only.

Seeing Solaire fighting Centipede was hilarious.
Very useful, thanks! I always forget about 2-handing, as I'm always turtling behind a shield.
<25% load sounds good as well. I will try the recently acquired Crimson set, as that has good fire resistance too.

Oh, Delighttown. What other wonders do you have in store?

Soulhouf said:
With 30 humanities + the golden serpent ring I got 2 slabs in 4 runs.
I was lucky I guess but at least the drop is not extremely rare.
If that place wasn't so scary I would go and farm there for more though.
Occasionally got chunks, but never slabs after farming those dark wraiths. Got so fed up, that I went sky diving in the Great Hollow and kill some lizards for those slabs.

2AdEPT

toasty_T said:
Holy shit.

I did a plunging attack on Taurus Demon in NG+ with my Lightning Zweihander and did over 3k damage
yep, dropped in on taurus in NG+ on my way to the sunbro alter and 85% of his health was done after the first drop...I mash r1 whenever I drop and maybe i got in a second slash before dropping to the turf, but regardless, two swings at his feet with the fully humanitied (10) chaos great scythe and he was toast. The great scythe has such awesome combo of speed and reach.....plus bleed to boot .....I usually use a knockback weapon but even without any dex this weapon kicks (why I went chaos with it)...I would hate to see a dex character with one. Right after I went to get the embers from darkroot.... I went through the garden door and was immediately invaded by "protectors" ...one guy tried chopping me with his sword and he noticed like zero health came off...meanwhile, one swing of the scythe in retaliation and he lost 95% of his health...he gestured "WTF" but took his punishment like a man. Now I know why I could not "protect" the forest at SL 40 either...especially if a host has a NG+ phantom or two as well!

2AdEPT

matmanx1 said:
Yeah I really think that with some humanity stockpiled Quelaag's Fury Sword is arguably the best 1 handed weapon in the game. As long as your target isn't fire resistant it will outperform weapons with higher numbered attack power just because most of it's damage comes from fire. I can sort of see why they are lowering it's fire damage output in 1.04/1.05.

I one-shot the Bell Gargoyle's with Solaire earlier using my Lightning Spear +5 and Great Combustion and was going merrily along only to die to Capra Demon. I almost had him dead but as I was running back up the stairs his 2 handed swing nicked me and killed me from full health (956 hp I think?). It was pretty shocking.

I also offed Lautrec at the Firelink Shrine and he dropped the Ring (my second, I already had one in inventory) and 5 humanities which if I remember right is pretty much the same thing he drops if you invade his area later. I'm glad to have the murdering scum gone, honestly.
Yeah I did the math on that as well and figured why keep him around as I already have his armour......but also missed summoning him in Parish and Depths last round.....so kept him alive...hired both him and Solaire and barely had to help with Gargoyles in NG+. Only got the one sunlight medal though. Lautrecs summon spot is BEHIND you on the middle platform between Solaire and the ground....most people miss it either because they don't talk to him in firelink after freeing him before doing gargoyles, or they, just don't see the drop stone as it is behind you as you climb the ladder.

2AdEPT

elty said:
I am on my second play through and for some reason I just can't get the red dragon spawn to do the arrow trick. I went to the bridge to spawn the dragon, then head back to Firelink Shrine all the way back, then use the shortcut to reach Parish. From there I head back to the tower, but the dragon was not there. I did pretty much the same thing on my first play through and it worked.

me neither...i think I glitched the dragon in my first playthrough as i was just shooting the tail and the whoole thing exploded and gave me the 10k souls in addition to drake from below. In NG+ i tried climbing the stairs to the tower and gone.....went back and forth three times and she reappeared when i went below and disappeared when I went up. Mysterious.

Zzoram

Giard said:
So..is it worth trying to farm clams for Twinkling Titanite? All my armor and my shield need it.

If you intend to keep using it, maybe.

It might be easier to just farm souls and buy then from the Anor Londo blacksmith when the next patch finally hits.

I'm an expert

Giard said:
So..is it worth trying to farm clams for Twinkling Titanite? All my armor and my shield need it.

I'd say wait for the patch but I swear I don't think anyone across the ocean is gonna get it.. I pretty much bought 100 twinklings as soon as the patch hit and upgraded everything just cause.

Also confused how so many people ran through this game so quickly.. 78 hours now clocked and I still have Crystal Cave, Tomb of Giants, Demon's Ruins, and Izalith.. this game is so big compared to Demon's.. I don't mean speed runs btw, I just mean people playing it normally. My friends beat it in about a week (playing a fair bit, but still) while I'm going on 3 months!

worldrevolution said:
Also confused how so many people ran through this game so quickly.. 78 hours now clocked and I still have Crystal Cave, Tomb of Giants, Demon's Ruins, and Izalith.. this game is so big compared to Demon's.. I don't mean speed runs btw, I just mean people playing it normally. My friends beat it in about a week (playing a fair bit, but still) while I'm going on 3 months!

i'm same as you, 78 hours though i've done demon's ruins and tomb of giants. but some people must speed through it with a guide or otherwise just trying to get through as quick as possible. i spent about 2 hours yesterday just hanging in the archives doing darkmoon invasions. i'm in no hurry

I'm an expert

Mr_Appleby said:
i'm same as you, 78 hours though i've done demon's ruins and tomb of giants. but some people must speed through it with a guide or otherwise just trying to get through as quick as possible. i spent about 2 hours yesterday just hanging in the archives doing darkmoon invasions. i'm in no hurry

Same I spent about 5 hours in the forest PVPing and about 10 in Anor Londo co-op/pvping..so there's 15 hours right there.. I know for a fact my friends didn't even bother with PVP or covenants. So silly..so much content..and also real opponents..

Giard

Zzoram said:
If you intend to keep using it, maybe.

It might be easier to just farm souls and buy then from the Anor Londo blacksmith when the next patch finally hits.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

Zzoram

I Push Fat Kids said:
Did I make a mistake in leveling up my Enchanted Falchion to +5 for the achievement? It seems weak...

How is it a mistake to get an achievement?

Enchanted weapons only scale based on your INT, while Magic weapons scale based on STR/DEX/INT. Magic +10 weapons have higher potential damage output since scaling past 50 is typically minimal, so having more attributes to scale with results in better damage in the long term assuming you boost STR/DEX as well. However, due to requiring stat points in more attributes, you have to be a higher soul level to achieve the higher potential damage, and this may be bad if you're building a character to stay at a particular soul level.

However, people who use Enchanted +5 weapons typically have 50 INT and very low STR/DEX so they may see more damage from Enchanted +5.

As for what weapon to make Enchanted +5, that depends on what weapon type and swing speed you prefer and what you have the stats to use.

Kevtones

Zzoram said:
How is it a mistake to get an achievement?

Enchanted weapons only scale based on your INT, while Magic weapons scale based on STR/DEX/INT. Magic +10 weapons have higher potential damage output since scaling past 50 is typically minimal, so having more attributes to scale with results in better damage in the long term assuming you boost STR/DEX as well. However, due to requiring stat points in more attributes, you have to be a higher soul level to achieve the higher potential damage, and this may be bad if you're building a character to stay at a particular soul level.

However, people who use Enchanted +5 weapons typically have 50 INT and very low STR/DEX so they may see more damage from Enchanted +5.

As for what weapon to make Enchanted +5, that depends on what weapon type and swing speed you prefer and what you have the stats to use.

Thanks for the info! I jut wanted to be sure I wasn't leveling the wrong weapon (if there was a suggested weapon to enchant)

Holy Crap, no wonder i couldn't find this thread it got moved to community.

:-\

Anyway made massive progress and finished Darkroot basin/gardens, catacombs, Dukes Archives, Crystal Caves, Tomb of the Giants, New Londo and now almost at the end, I'm in the Demons Ruins at the moment but honestly what a crap area full of cut n paste enemies. This along with the great hollow and Ash lake let the game down.

Anyway I've upgrade Quelaags fury sword to +5, can this be upgraded any further for a best weapon trophy?

I need loads of white Titanite and Blue Titanite chunks to upgrade my Enchanted/Divine weapons. Wheres best to go and farm them?

I'm an expert

Seriously..this thread went from the most active I've ever seen to barely a page a day since coming to community. Kind of nice since I feel like I'm having a convo with the same people, but that rush just after release was fun reading.

Zzoram

worldrevolution said:
Seriously..this thread went from the most active I've ever seen to barely a page a day since coming to community. Kind of nice since I feel like I'm having a convo with the same people, but that rush just after release was fun reading.

It was probably one of the most active threads of all time, if not THE most active thread of all time. It was going faster than a console-wars NPD thread at it's peak speed, but kept it up for 3+ weeks.

IrishNinja

worldrevolution said:

/forum ghetto confirmed.

for real, why is this here and Demons Souls out in gaming again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom