• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
Septimius said:
The guy I pvp'ed that messaged me saying I was the toughest opponent he's had in his hours and hours of PvP finally uploaded the video of us fighting.

I think it's pretty poor fight by me. I'm just on my way to making my ultimate build, which I now have - +15 Uchi with CMW at SL120. I was like SL100 when I fought him, and I'm also making a bandit's dagger + CMW and parrying dagger as backup, so I was practicing parrying, trying to bait him to attack, then try and parry - which is why I roll so much.

But it was a fun fight! Awesome to be honored by someone else like this, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8G03V8mtDA

Check it out :)
That video was so odd to me. He kept getting behind you in weird moments. This happens to me a lot online. Me and a guy will be circling and fighting then all of a sudden hes behind me backstabbing me. His body often has to "Warp" behind me mid animation. WTF is that?

Good fight though.

Wool

Septimius said:
The guy I pvp'ed that messaged me saying I was the toughest opponent he's had in his hours and hours of PvP finally uploaded the video of us fighting.

But it was a fun fight! Awesome to be honored by someone else like this, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8G03V8mtDA

Check it out :)

He told you that you're pretty? I would put him on the ignore list.

On a separate note, does anyone have experience with the shield that Paladin Leeroy drops? I am working on a faith build with a 2 handed grant as my main weapon since the patch is going to give it an "A" in faith instead of dex. Apparently, the shield heals 2HP every 2 seconds, but I was wondering if it regens faster if you upgrade it like the Adjucator shield did?

Septimius

rdelaney said:

On a separate note, does anyone have experience with the shield that Paladin Leeroy drops? I am working on a faith build with a 2 handed grant as my main weapon since the patch is going to give it an "A" in faith instead of dex. Apparently, the shield heals 2HP every 2 seconds, but I was wondering if it regens faster if you upgrade it like the Adjucator shield did?

We had already talked and fought like 3 fights already, so I didn't take offense to that.

A healing shield? Oh my. I have to look into this.

.GqueB. said:
That video was so odd to me. He kept getting behind you in weird moments. This happens to me a lot online. Me and a guy will be circling and fighting then all of a sudden hes behind me backstabbing me. His body often has to "Warp" behind me mid animation. WTF is that?

Good fight though.

That's the big weakness with parrying. It's an invitation to get backstabbed. He missed a few crucial centimeters before he could, though, so I was a tad lucky. But hey, you gotta train to get parrying to work! Parrying dagger helps, though. Especially with the slightly odd timing with online play.

scosher

rdelaney said:

Unless they buffed it in 1.04/1.05, no, it sucks pretty awful. If you're going with 2-handing Grant or any large weapon, go with Grass Crest Shield for the stam regen.

Zimbardo

rdelaney said:

that Sanctus pally shield is crap. the healing rate doesn't change when upgraded.

btw, my best PvP character has 12 casts of Wrath of the Gods and when used in combo with Tranquil Walk of Peace ...its over. :p

is that cheap? i dunno, but i don't really care. i want the win. hah!

.GqueB.

Banned
Septimius said:
That's the big weakness with parrying. It's an invitation to get backstabbed. He missed a few crucial centimeters before he could, though, so I was a tad lucky. But hey, you gotta train to get parrying to work! Parrying dagger helps, though. Especially with the slightly odd timing with online play.
Parrying isnt too much of an issue for me. Its just the fact that people will literally "warp" behind me. For instance, I'll be moving around will my shield up and suddenly my character will stop, stand up straight and THEN the other player will suddenly be behind me kicking me to the ground. This happens very often.

Is this something wrong with my connection?

roxya

scosher said:
If you're going with 2-handing Grant or any large weapon, go with Grass Crest Shield for the stam regen.

When Frampt first popped up, I fed him every shield that didn't have 100 phys defence as I thought they were all useless :(

.GqueB. said:
Parrying isnt too much of an issue for me. Its just the fact that people will literally "warp" behind me. For instance, I'll be moving around will my shield up and suddenly my character will stop, stand up straight and THEN the other player will suddenly be behind me kicking me to the ground. This happens very often.

Is this something wrong with my connection?

It's just the lag, happens to all of us. A bad connection will make it worse though. With experience you can generally tell if someones trying to backstab. If someone keeps rolling in really close towards you then they're usually trying for a backstab. I just make sure I keep swinging my weapon in wide horizontal arcs around my character. I've even managed to knock someone out of a backstab once even though my character was stuck in the animation, it just did no damage.

tokkun

.GqueB. said:

Good fight though.

Warpstabs are caused by lag. Not much you can do about it.

.GqueB.

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
It's just the lag, happens to all of us. A bad connection will make it worse though. With experience you can generally tell if someones trying to backstab. If someone keeps rolling in really close towards you then they're usually trying for a backstab. I just make sure I keep swinging my weapon in wide horizontal arcs around my character. I've even managed to knock someone out of a backstab once even though my character was stuck in the animation, it just did no damage.
Good advice. Im gonna try fixing my NAT again as well. Changed routers recently and it went back to strict.

Why isnt there a simple option for this by the way? So stupid that I have to go through so much shit.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
cant stand warp backstabs...ugh..happened all the time in demons too..

Uh this game is tough. I just started playing today, Thief with a Pendant. It is totally frustrating losing souls and dying trying to get them back. I'm still early in the game. Dude told me to ring 2 bells. 1 above and 1 below. Went for above and of course died many times. Dunno how I'm supposed to fight 2-3 guys at once. Give it another go later but not to keen on this yet.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..Seath's tail..got it but man..what a bitch.

Thief is a bit of a tough class if you're new to the game. I'd just something like warrior or wanderer. Tank with a shield, attack after they attack. Back up constantly, lure them to you. A thief is more backstab/parry early in the game which are advanced for even people who re good at this game sometimes. Patience though, never swing more than 2x in a row no matter what if you're beginning out and getting a grip on the combat.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ErasureAcer said:
Uh this game is tough. I just started playing today, Thief with a Pendant. It is totally frustrating losing souls and dying trying to get them back. I'm still early in the game. Dude told me to ring 2 bells. 1 above and 1 below. Went for above and of course died many times. Dunno how I'm supposed to fight 2-3 guys at once. Give it another go later but not to keen on this yet.

You're not. It's very important to learn early that you need to take enemies on one at a time and never let them surround you. Positioning in battle is extremely important. As for losing souls, you need to make peace with the possibility of loss before it happens, because it definitely will happen. But persevere, learn the area and its enemies, and you'll die less and keep more souls.

Oh, and when you find a usable soul item, like "Soul of a Lost Undead" or whatever, don't use it until you are about to spend the souls. No point in converting them to souls and then risking a loss.

Another tip: Sometimes you'll want to say "fuck souls" and just explore an area. You can grab items in dangerous places and then just die. If you're carrying a negligible number of souls, you've got nothing to lose.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The combat mechanics in Skyrim are just that much more disappointing coming straight from Dark Souls. I still love both games, but damn, I wish more games were like Dark/Demon's Souls.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You're not. It's very important to learn early that you need to take enemies on one at a time and never let them surround you. Positioning in battle is extremely important.

Orange soapstone time:

"Try luring them out" and my favourite "Be wary of beating to a pulp"

.GqueB.

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
Get yourself a bow and arrow. Stand a little bit away from these groups you encounter and shoot one at a time to draw their attention. Otherwise you're screwed.

And as for losing your souls well... yea thats gonna happen a lot. I lost 700k souls the other night. I didnt really need them as Ive stopped leveling up for now but just be aware that this is part of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Another tip: Sometimes you'll want to say "fuck souls" and just explore an area. You can grab items in dangerous places and then just die. If you're carrying a negligible number of souls, you've got nothing to lose.
This is where I feel the most free. Great feeling.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Air Zombie Meat said:
Orange soapstone time:

"Try luring them out" and my favourite "Be wary of beating to a pulp"

Yeah the notes are extremely useful and almost always truthful. Definitely helped me avoid many beatings to a pulp. Funny thing is I never bought an orange soapstone so I can't rate comments. I'm a freeloader. :(

.GqueB. said:
This is where I feel the most free. Great feeling.

Yup, whenever I'm about to go anywhere new, I try to spend most of my souls one way or another. Feels good man.

I'm also still carrying the vast majority of usable soul items I've ever found, so if there's something I really want to buy without grinding I've got a ton of souls in my savings account.

matmanx1

rdelaney said:

Sanctus has it's uses. I keep mine in my inventory all the time. There are a couple of environments in the game that cause periodic damage (most notably the lava fields even after you have the charred ring) and the Sanctus on your back will almost nullify it. Or if you get poisoned in the swamps and are out of or low on moss Sanctus will act as a counter to the slow hit point loss. Or if you just want to regain some HP without using an Estus you can always pull out Sanctus and go make a sandwich. It's situational, sure, but it's far from useless.

I'm an expert

Lol..second try get Avelyn chest jump...and archers kill me from behind. Too good.

I'm an expert

And third try get the jump right and loot the bow..before being gunned down again haha

Sullichin

ErasureAcer said:

The game has quite a steep learning curve, but it is definitely worth it. The later areas in the game might technically be harder, but nothing is more difficult than the beginning of the game when you don't fully know the combat, imo. I was getting wrecked in undead burg and parish for quite some time. Keep it up, there's an amazing experience to be had. If you die, it's often harder to rush back to your blood stain to try to retrieve your souls than it is to patiently beat each enemy again. The game totally punishes a lack of patience. Luring enemies out is an important strategy in many areas of the game. Over time you will learn the safe moments to attack. Also, a tip I wish I knew when I first started... your stamina recharges much more slowly when you have your shield up. Having stamina to spare is very important.

also, its a lot less frustrating if you separate progressing through the levels from gathering souls. you'll be back to pretty much every area in case you mess up and lose a bunch of souls.

I'm an expert

Sweet just got the all sorceries trophy after killing..you know.. nice that some of these can be done on the first playthrough (well all but miracles technically).

What's the best shield considering all general defense/Stability/Weight together ?

I'm rocking the Eagle Shield+15, and even though there are probably shields with better raw defense stats, I like to use two rings instead of wasting one to Havel's ring all the time.

The only shield that I think comes close is also a fully upgraded Hollow Soldier Shield but I prefer the eagle one because not only the higher defense against magic/lighting is much better than a higher one vs flame, but it's also a large shield (and a very light one at that) that makes certain enemy attacks stagger leaving you with an opening. Even big enemies like the large skeletons in the Tomb stagger if blocked.

BaronLundi said:
Actually you can beat him with melee only (and quite a bit of patience). I did it twice.

See the stairs in the middle of the bridge where the ennemies are ? Go up and run out till you reach the small wall on the side (facing him). He'll start to spit some fire but you'll be protected by the wall. Now if you wait a bit longer he'll fly down to you. Here's your opening to have a swing at its head (just one!). The timing after that is critical : roll back to the stairs then down to the safety of the below room before he hits you.

Rinse, repeat.

It takes a bit of time and practice but with a good weapon it's totally feasible. Having your equip weight under 25% helps tremendously. Even with iron flesh and flash sweat and your best fire protection he'll toast you anyway... so there's no reason not to be able to roll quickly.

The Hellkite Dragon is the hardest boss in the game on NG+ if you want to fight him melee only (no magic/projectiles) without using the stairs. It's possible, and i've done it, biggest challenge this game has ever offered me besides the 4 kings.

Kweh

What's a good weapon for a Pyro in the later stages of the game? I just beat Gravelord Nito and upgraded to the Lifehunt Scythe, but didn't realise it's penalties.

Should I just upgrade my Lightning Spear to +5?

tokkun

TheThunder said:
What's the best shield considering all general defense/Stability/Weight together ?

I'm rocking the Eagle Shield+15, and even though there are probably shields with better raw defense stats, I like to use two rings instead of wasting one to Havel's ring all the time.

The only shield that I think comes close is also a fully upgraded Hollow Soldier Shield but I prefer the eagle one because not only the higher defense against magic/lighting is much better than a higher one vs flame, but it's also a large shield (and a very light one at that) that makes certain enemy attacks stagger leaving you with an opening. Even big enemies like the large skeletons in the Tomb stagger if blocked.

You won't find a lighter greatshield than Eagle.

EasyMode

Nora Kisaragi said:
The Hellkite Dragon is the hardest boss in the game on NG+ if you want to fight him melee only (no magic/projectiles) without using the stairs. It's possible, and i've done it, biggest challenge this game has ever offered me besides the 4 kings.
How did you manage this? Thankfully for me, he's usually visible from the black knight tower. I'll cheese his ass every time and not feel a hint of guilt.

Sullichin

EasyMode said:
How did you manage this? Thankfully for me, he's usually visible from the black knight tower. I'll cheese his ass every time and not feel a hint of guilt.

what tower are you referring to? The black knight tower before the room that has the armored boar? I'm in NG+ and I haven't ever killed this dragon :p

I'm an expert

abstract alien said:
Can a summoned person or invader hit NPCs such as shop keepers and blacksmiths?

Nope, they appear as ghosts to them.

Zoe

Broseybrose said:
So no one can beat the Red Dragon in Burg?

I baited him from the stairs and kept blasting him with soul arrows until I ran out or he started trying to heal. Then I sprinted to the end of the bridge while he had his wings up and ran into that room.

From that point, he will keep breathing fire into the room. Occasionally he'll stop and just stand there and that's when you unload a buttload of arrows (3-4 at a time before he starts breathing fire again).

JRPereira said:
Having a bow helps even if you can't wield it - just need it for aiming.

How does this work? Do you aim with the bow and then switch back to the catalyst?

EasyMode

Sullichin said:
what tower are you referring to? The black knight tower before the room that has the armored boar? I'm in NG+ and I haven't ever killed this dragon :p
Yes, the tower with the black knight wielding a greatsword. If you go up there and the dragon is visible, shoot him with one arrow and he'll fly forward and disappear. When you go back down you will hear him die and get 10K souls (50K in NG+ IIRC).

I'm an expert

Finally got the channeler's trident to drop too..ok I can say I am DONE with the archives. Woot.

TheThunder said:

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Eagle Shield is very good in general, not seeing many reasons to use other greatshields over it considering the weight but obviously you can't parry with it. The only medium shield that deflects blows like greatshields do is the Iron Round Shield that Shiva drops but I think it's stability maxes out at around 70. Hollow soldier shield has great stability now but its getting nerfed with the patch. Silver knight shield is another good medium shield with high stability.

I also like to carry around all the crest shields fully upgraded for different things. They may not have the best stability but they're all great for certain things. Grass crest for stamina regen boost, dragoncrest for fire defense and crest shield for magic. I absolutely love going up against a pyro with dragoncrest and the crest shield trivialises certain enemies like the moonlight butterfly or the channelers in dukes. Grass crest is great for two handing weapons because you get the boost even if the shields on your back.

I'm an expert

All this talk about the hellkite..f it..I'm goin back to kill it now.

scosher

Zimbardo said:
the Sunlight Shield is pretty good when upgraded all the way.

resists could be better but stability is 85, i think.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/sun-shield

its something the same as the Hollow Shield upgraded all the way ...but i believe the Hollow Shield is nerfed in the new patch ...while the Sun shield is not.

No, Sunlight Shield's stability is nerfed too. ALL medium shields' stabilities have been nerfed, with the exception of a few that already had low stability (like Crest Shield)

.GqueB.

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm also still carrying the vast majority of usable soul items I've ever found, so if there's something I really want to buy without grinding I've got a ton of souls in my savings account.
I kind of stumbled onto this in the first game. I just collected those not knowing that I could use them. Then I used one by mistake and was shocked. I dont remember how much I had but it was toward the end of the game when this happened and I remember being quite rich.

Ok, so I did the two part boss and made it to chamber of the princess...now I'm a bit lost. Where do I go from here?

Also, can I kill the fire keeper in Anor and get a soul, or should I not?

I'm an expert

worldrevolution said:
Ok..apparently the hellkite regenerates..

Hellkite dead..my first time ever using sorcery! Was really good..and even only with 23 int and Dusk's wand/tiara my strong soul arrows were doing 370.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom