• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimbardo

scosher said:
No, Sunlight Shield's stability is nerfed too. ALL medium shields' stabilities have been nerfed, with the exception of a few that already had low stability (like Crest Shield)

well that sucks then. :[

abstract alien said:
Ok, so I did the two part boss and made it to chamber of the princess...now I'm a bit lost. Where do I go from here?

Also, can I kill the fire keeper in Anor and get a soul, or should I not?

You just got the lordvessel so either take it to Frampt (the serpent in Firelink) or Kaathe who you meet after the boss in New Londo Ruins. I'd recommend doing the first on your first playthrough unless you want to join the darkwraiths and invade people.

You can kill the firekeeper but you won't be able to use the bonfire there for the rest of the game and I assume it'll count as a sin.

.GqueB.

Banned
abstract alien said:
Ok, so I did the two part boss and made it to chamber of the princess...now I'm a bit lost. Where do I go from here?

Also, can I kill the fire keeper in Anor and get a soul, or should I not?
Not sure how many of the areas youve cleared but from there you have to go back to frampt. And then things happen.

And I killed her because I didnt need her (had two other sources for reinforcement). You wont be able to use the bonfire there but you can still warp to it and theres another one close by even. I dont know, maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.

Don't worry about the new londo thing, its just an optional thing that most people won't want to do. Just go to firelink and have a look around, you won't be able to miss him.

edit:

abstract alien said:
Oh God...nevermind o.o

Heh, guess you found him.

roxya said:
If you sin and don't absolve, are you a sinner in NG+? I don't really wanna spend the 158k souls unless I must :D

All sins are absolved automatically when you start NG+.

.GqueB.

Banned
abstract alien said:
Maybe I should back up a bit. I dont think I know who the serpent is in firelink yet, and I never finished new londo either...
First thing I did in the game was go down to new Londo. Got there. Got dead. Level 75 and 90 hrs later I still havent gone back. To hell with that horrid place.

And since we're talking about it, whats this "sins" thing? I break covenants constantly and I also killed the Firekeeper at Andor. Do these affects my "sins"? What is the effect of having too many? And how do you find out your "sin" standing?

Im sure Im wording this horribly.

roxya

.GqueB. said:
First thing I did in the game was go down to new Londo. Got there. Got dead. Level 75 and 90 hrs later I still havent gone back. To hell with that horrid place.

And since we're talking about it, whats this "sins" thing? I break covenants constantly and I also killed the Firekeeper at Andor. Do these affects my "sins"? What is the effect of having too many? And how do you find out your "sin" standing?

Breaking a covenant is a sin. I think the only downside is increased invasions (darkmoon players using the blue eye orb).

2AdEPT

EasyMode said:
Yes, the tower with the black knight wielding a greatsword. If you go up there and the dragon is visible, shoot him with one arrow and he'll fly forward and disappear. When you go back down you will hear him die and get 10K souls (50K in NG+ IIRC).
He died at the same time I shot him a few times for Drake Sword in the first run through, but in NG+ he disappears the instant (no more sounds) I enter the staircase...he (can hear grunts)reappears the instant upon entering the rat room on the way down. THis arrow form behind strategy has been something not all of us have experienced, nor find it possible to experience. I shot the tail from below in NG+ only to get him to drop it down closer so I could hack at it, but it did not kill him....nowthe tail is back ....I suppose I could keep trying that mehtod and report back...but if the tail goes and he does not die, than it appears this method will not work as to get the tail back he would regenerate his health (i.e. you go to bonfire or he heals himself.)

Booshka

2AdEPT said:
He died at the same time I shot him a few times for Drake Sword in the first run through, but in NG+ he disappears the instant (no more sounds) I enter the staircase...he (can hear grunts)reappears the instant upon entering the rat room on the way down. THis arrow form behind strategy has been something not all of us have experienced, nor find it possible to experience. I shot the tail from below in NG+ only to get him to drop it down closer so I could hack at it, but it did not kill him....nowthe tail is back ....I suppose I could keep trying that mehtod and report back...but if the tail goes and he does not die, than it appears this method will not work as to get the tail back he would regenerate his health (i.e. you go to bonfire or he heals himself.)
The best way to see him from that Tower is to come from the Undead Parish bonfire, and work your way down to the Tower. I think if you go across or under the bridge, it messes with his pathing and he won't be there. I have just started running to the Tower, then if he isn't there, Homeward back and try again.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
.GqueB. said:

I believe you incur sin by attacking/killing NPCs and also by being indicted after killing other players. I also sinned by saying no to joining Alvina's covenent, but I don't know if that's true of all covenants. Leaving a covenant by joining another is not a sin (I'm pretty sure).

Oswald of Carim, the guy in the undead parish belltower, will forgive your sins, which resets aggro'd NPCs (but won't bring dead ones back). He'll tell you if you have sins by offering to absolve them.

I'm not sure what the various costs of having sin are, besides having NPCs be mad at you or not being able to join Alvina's forest hunters. I think that people with sin are subject to invasion by certain covenants? Someone else surely knows more about this than me.

2AdEPT

Air Zombie Meat said:
You just got the lordvessel so either take it to Frampt (the serpent in Firelink) or Kaathe who you meet after the boss in New Londo Ruins. I'd recommend doing the first on your first playthrough unless you want to join the darkwraiths and invade people.

You can kill the firekeeper but you won't be able to use the bonfire there for the rest of the game and I assume it'll count as a sin.
I personally see no benefit taking the vessel to frampt.....he eats things great, but the souls are negligible....the story and stuff form darkwraith is superior on first playthrough and explains more aboutthe world than any other NPC. Plus, it just is cooler and more option laden for other playthroughs.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah the notes are extremely useful and almost always truthful. Definitely helped me avoid many beatings to a pulp. Funny thing is I never bought an orange soapstone so I can't rate comments. I'm a freeloader. :(
The notes are indeed extremely helpful 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, I encountered the remainder at a certain point in Sen's Fortress. Anyone who's been through will know what I'm talking about...

"Amazing treasure ahead."

Not that I wouldn't have tried opening that chest anyway, haha.

Edit:
abstract alien said:
Oh God...nevermind o.o
Hehehe, I had the exact same reaction last night. I was so afraid to approach and my wife was like "come on! Just talk to him!"
I'm all "you don't know this game, woman!"

2AdEPT

Booshka said:
The best way to see him from that Tower is to come from the Undead Parish bonfire, and work your way down to the Tower. I think if you go across or under the bridge, it messes with his pathing and he won't be there. I have just started running to the Tower, then if he isn't there, Homeward back and try again.
I actually have done mostly backward runs with the exception of the first (where it is possible he was there, but I don't think so, regardless I went under the bridge that time.) I have and never been able to see the dragon from up there coming from behind. Never. Glad to see that a few other persons have experienced this as well.

AS a side note, I have given lots of people instruction about what I thought I knew for sure based on my game...but alas have had to concede that their game broke the rules......I think FROM likes makeing lots of hidden rules/exceptions that are not obvious or in the books...kinda thier way of throwing a few easter eggs out there........or it is faulty programming and glitch piggin incompetance!!! ;p

.GqueB.

Banned
2AdEPT said:
I personally see no benefit taking the vessel to frampt.....he eats things great, but the souls are negligible....the story and stuff form darkwraith is superior on first playthrough and explains more aboutthe world than any other NPC. Plus, it just is cooler and more option laden for other playthroughs.
Wait what? Doesnt he move the story along by showing him the vessel?

edit: oh nvm. Didnt know about this. And yea Frampt sucks. He started explaining things about Sens fortress and I thought he would tell me more about the story. Then I did Sens and I came back to see what he said next but he was still talking about Sens.

"I ALREADY DID THAT!@!@!!@" >_<

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kaath is infinitely the better serpent but man..not sure how you'd find him on your first run without reading it somewhere.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
B-Genius said:
The notes are indeed extremely helpful 99% of the time.

Unfortunately, I encountered the remainder at a certain point in Sen's Fortress. Anyone who's been through will know what I'm talking about...

"Amazing treasure ahead."

Not that I wouldn't have tried opening that chest anyway, haha.

That mimic drops the lightning spear (right?), so he wasn't lying! Just didn't give you all the information you might have wanted. ;)

2AdEPT said:

I don't know, with the amount of redundant duplicated weapons you end up with feeding him ones you want rid of is way less hassle than dropping them. I didn't have access to him on my first playthrough and I just gave up dropping stuff in the end, too much hassle. Plus he breaks up chunks and large titanite shards into smaller ones which will save you many, many trips across the world just to buy them.

The story stuff is cool but really thats the only benefit unless you want to invade.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Air Zombie Meat said:
I don't know, with the amount of redundant duplicated weapons you end up with feeding him ones you want rid of is way less hassle than dropping them. I didn't have access to him on my first playthrough and I just gave up dropping stuff in the end, too much hassle. Plus he breaks up chunks and large titanite shards into smaller ones which will save you many, many trips across the world just to buy them.

The story stuff is cool but really thats the only benefit unless you want to invade.

Never dropped anything. Just put it in your storage box and the end. Never used Frampt cause of the box.

worldrevolution said:
Never dropped anything. Just put it in your storage box and the end. Never used Frampt cause of the box.

The end until you actually want to use your storage box ;) If I did that I would have literally hundreds of black knight weapons in there from kiln farming. Maybe I'm just being anal about it though. I like to be able to swap things in and out of storage all the time so I don't have a huge list in my inventory to scroll through when I want to change equipment. After 200+ hours that really starts to grate.

Zzoram

worldrevolution said:
Kaath is infinitely the better serpent but man..not sure how you'd find him on your first run without reading it somewhere.

Lots of people don't even notice Frampt if they don't go back to Firelink much so it's possible to accidentally stumble into Kaanth

Septimius

That reminds me. There should be a bigger incentive to drop stuff in this game, seen how the stuff we drop has crabs moving into it and moving to other players' worlds. The only time one spawned in my world, it one-shotted me :( It was gone when I came back. So sad :(

God, people online don't know how to react to Lloyd's Talisman. They just freak the fuck out when I hit them with it.

Also, +10 Painting Guardian Sword+ poison resin+ grasscrest shield +greenblossom= awesomesauce

I'm an expert

Yeah that painting sword is pretty sick..I made it divine for the catacombs haha.

I actually want to try upgrading Priscilla's dagger and see how that works in pvp.

Septimius said:
That reminds me. There should be a bigger incentive to drop stuff in this game, seen how the stuff we drop has crabs moving into it and moving to other players' worlds. The only time one spawned in my world, it one-shotted me :( It was gone when I came back. So sad :(

Yeah this is a shame, it was one of the coolest new ideas in the game. I deliberately went round dropping stuff in good places when I first got the game but without any feedback as to whether it's actually working or not it just feels like a waste of time.

Septimius said:
What ?

I'm an expert

Considering they gave you such a giant inventory now though it just didn't make sense to drop stuff..cool idea..bad implementation.. in Demon's I dropped shit ALL THE TIME.

Zzoram

I drop stuff all the time but I never see it disappear. It would be nice if they gave us the rules about how to spawn vagrants.

Septimius

Zzoram said:
I drop stuff all the time but I never see it disappear. It would be nice if they gave us the rules about how to spawn vagrants.

You don't spawn them in your own world. Your dropped equipment moves into other worlds. So it's completely random.

I've never seen a vagrant in almost 300 hours.

Though now that I think about it the strat guide does mention that they spawn in specific spots - like primordial demons in DS - so clearly I just don't know where or when to look.

Zzoram

Septimius said:
You don't spawn them in your own world. Your dropped equipment moves into other worlds. So it's completely random.

I know they're in other worlds, I just want some sign that it worked. How are we supposed to know?

I've seen one before, I killed it easily (lol Homing Crystal Soul Mass) but it shot something at me before it died. I dodged it though, so I have no idea how strong it was. It didn't move at all and was sitting in the Kiln of the First Flame on the beams.

I just had a real HOLYYY SHITTT moment, haha.

I've beaten
Capra
and just spent the last 20 mins killing that giant rat, going through the sewers, taking it real careful etc. I thankfully managed to find the fire to save and then I went looking for the boss door. I find it, go through, and the
giant fucking dragon comes out of the water and my face was literally ":|" because I had no idea how I'd even take him on. I run around him and begin slashing at his arse, chasing his tail so he's never in front of me. I get him down to about 50% health.

That's when I smugly think "Oh, he's not too bad"

Pretty much as soon as I said that he jumps into the air and lands on me. I think I can get back to a safe point and heal, but nope, he picks me up and chews me up. Dead.

I know I can beat him, but I thought that was quite funny.

Foliorum Viridum said:

OMG yeah man. That happens so much. Imminent death - or at least imminent moment of 10% health - just as soon as you get cocky.

Died at the zombie crowd upstairs in the Parish earlier: "Ouch. Well, no need to put up my shield, these guys are pussies." "Ouch." *shield*. "Ouch." *no stamina*. *failed roll attempt* "Shit!" *WHACK WHACK WHACK*.

YOU DIED.

Septimius

Zzoram said:
I know they're in other worlds, I just want some sign that it worked. How are we supposed to know?

I've seen one before, I killed it easily (lol Homing Crystal Soul Mass) but it shot something at me before it died. I dodged it though, so I have no idea how strong it was. It didn't move at all and was sitting in the Kiln of the First Flame on the beams.

Yup. It's another one of those "you'll just have to take the game's word for the fact that it actually works as we say it does" - like randomly getting flasks and humanity. It just happens, you can't prove that it works, so you just have to believe in it.

NEOPARADIGM said:
OMG yeah man. That happens so much. Imminent death - or at least imminent moment of 10% health - just as soon as you get cocky.

Died at the zombie crowd upstairs in the Parish earlier: "Ouch. Well, no need to put up my shield, these guys are pussies." "Ouch." *shield*. "Ouch." *no stamina*. *failed roll attempt* "Shit!" *WHACK WHACK WHACK*.

YOU DIED.
I didn't even change my tactic, though, he sensed I doubted him and decided to show me what's what :(

Oh yeah I forgot

In the opening cutescene they mention Nito, Gwyn.. etc and they causally mention someone who's always forgotten, the furtive of pygmy or something like that. Who is that guy and did he ever show up in the story/world ?

Insaniac

everytime I play dark souls now, I just get pissed off. I think to myself " I could be playing co-op right now, but instead, I'm sitting here waiting to be summoned."

I'm an expert

TheThunder said:
Oh yeah I forgot

In the opening cutescene they mention Nito, Gwyn.. etc and they causally mention someone who's always forgotten, the furtive of pygmy or something like that. Who is that guy and did he ever show up in the story/world ?

I believe Reah fills in some of this..I also remembering somewhere that your character is apparently a descendant of said pygmies. I don't know effin know man!

Booshka

TheThunder said:
Oh yeah I forgot

Kaathe will talk about the Pygmy and say how you are a descendant or something if you have the Pendant as your Gift.

EasyMode

Insaniac said:
everytime I play dark souls now, I just get pissed off. I think to myself " I could be playing co-op right now, but instead, I'm sitting here waiting to be summoned."
Same here. Right now I'm just building characters to use in co-op when the patch comes.

On a related note: What's the best level range for being summoned to fight Ornstein and Smough, souls-gaf?

I'm an expert

EasyMode said:
Same here. Right now I'm just building characters to use in co-op when the patch comes.

On a related note: What's the best level range for being summoned to fight Ornstein and Smough, souls-gaf?

I had amazing summons when I was level 55-60 at S&O, both for co-op and pvp.

Zzoram

Foliorum Viridum said:

I've beaten
Capra
and just spent the last 20 mins killing that giant rat, going through the sewers, taking it real careful etc. I thankfully managed to find the fire to save and then I went looking for the boss door. I find it, go through, and the
giant fucking dragon comes out of the water and my face was literally ":|" because I had no idea how I'd even take him on. I run around him and begin slashing at his arse, chasing his tail so he's never in front of me. I get him down to about 50% health.

Pretty much as soon as I said that he jumps into the air and lands on me. I think I can get back to a safe point and heal, but nope, he picks me up and chews me up. Dead.

You can cut the tail off.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I've beaten
Capra

That is EXACTLY what happened to me the first time, haha.

fucking channelers trident... that thing doesnt drop.... even the fuckin crystal enemies doesnt drop shit, and im at 410 item finding... wtf

tokkun

So I invade this guy in The Depths. I run into him as he's reaching the hallway to the bonfire. He starts approaching me all slowly, I bow, and immediately a slime falls on his head. I stand next to him and do the wave animation while he is getting eaten. This takes off about 70% of his HP, so I stand still while he retreats and Estus's back to full.

When he runs back out, I bow to him again, and he attacks me mid-bow. Chivalry is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom