• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
sotodefonk said:
fucking channelers trident... that thing doesnt drop.... even the fuckin crystal enemies doesnt drop shit, and im at 410 item finding... wtf

I got it this morning with only the ring on and 1 humanity..so like 320. Took about 10 respawns.

To the poster above, I bow when I get summoned or summon phantoms but when it comes to PVP I just don't see the point. The first thing I do is run to a safe spot and cast my buffs. I don't have time to be e-polite in what is seriously the deadliest game of pvp possible. I often hit people in the middle of bowing, especially dirty sinners! Also ironic since I live in the country of bowing and for the last few weeks all of my summons/pvp have been with Japanese players. Honestly..only about 50% even bow during pvp. I think the foreign community is more into it.

tokkun

I usually don't expect people to bow, but if they don't lunge at me, I will bow and wait for them to bow or make a move to attack before I attack them. For me the purpose is to signal when they are ready to fight, since they may need to change their loadout or something. I get more satisfaction from killing someone in a fair fight than ganking them when they're not ready.

I also do the bow or salute (point skywards) gestures after killing someone if they fought fairly.

Zzoram

worldrevolution said:
New char?

Ya after getting platinum I want to do a pure melee character, no attunement slots so no ezmode.

Started as a Bandit, stats:

20 VIT
8 ATT
28 END
14 STR
20 DEX
11 RES
8 INT
10 FAT

Using a Fire Gargoyle Tail Axe +3 and Divine Reinforced Club +0 (for skeletons)

I should probably go get the Iaito but I was too lazy to make the run back to The Depths entrance to Blighttown and went the Master Key shortcut way.

Do we not need an Ember to ascend to Fire +5? The wiki doesn't mention one.

Insaniac

Anyway to increase bow damage? I've got a +14 Pharis bow, 45 dex and Hawk Ring on. Am I missing anything that might help me increase damage or range?

(Besides more dex obviously)
like are there any special armor pieces?

Having a bit more fun with the game but really haven't progressed.

Up top I have 3 unbeatable enemies. The Taurus thingy, the demon down the spiral staircase and the tall dude with the big sword. Can't beat any.

There's the graveyard. I made it to the big skeleton but died as I ran out of firebombs. That may be passable.

Thanks to being a thief I opened up the gate on the stairs below. Ran into a dragon sleeping. Got 2 of 3 treasures before he woke up and killed me. Other route has some tubby guys who 2 hit me. Not gonna make it there either.

Further below there's a couple of ghosts. Haven't fought them as the path seems to lead only into water. Dead end?

So there's 7 paths and I can't get by any of them. Ugh. Just gonna load up on firebombs and hope the cemetary leads somewhere.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ErasureAcer said:

Up top I have 3 unbeatable enemies. The Taurus thingy, the demon down the spiral staircase and the tall dude with the big sword. Can't beat any.

There's the graveyard. I made it to the big skeleton but died as I ran out of firebombs. That may be passable.

Thanks to being a thief I opened up the gate on the stairs below. Ran into a dragon sleeping. Got 2 of 3 treasures before he woke up and killed me. Other route has some tubby guys who 2 hit me. Not gonna make it there either.

Further below there's a couple of ghosts. Haven't fought them as the path seems to lead only into water. Dead end?

So there's 7 paths and I can't get by any of them. Ugh. Just gonna load up on firebombs and hope the cemetary leads somewhere.

Yeah..don't go in the cemetery..or down into the valley of dragons..you really want to beat the "Taurus thingy" heh. Firebombs do help with him, also use the terrain to your advantage. Look around..any way you can get the UPPER hand?

UFRA

Bowing in PVP is the honorable thing to do!

In Demon's Souls I'd say like 80% of people I PVP'd bowed first. I once invaded a dude who had 2 blue phantoms along with him (big oh shit moment for me) but all 3 of them bowed as I bowed to them. It was an epic moment. (I died seconds later lol)

tokkun said:
I usually don't expect people to bow, but if they don't lunge at me, I will bow and wait for them to bow or make a move to attack before I attack them. For me the purpose is to signal when they are ready to fight, since they may need to change their loadout or something. I get more satisfaction from killing someone in a fair fight than ganking them when they're not ready.

I also do the bow or salute (point skywards) gestures after killing someone if they fought fairly.

Same here. I find most people do bow back and if they don't they won't usually attack until you're done. I like the ritual because it gives you a few seconds to make any last minute equipment swaps. Also gives you time to have a look at their equipment before the fight so you know what you're up against. For me it's not so much about being e-polite it's just a good way of starting a duel.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ErasureAcer said:

No don't. Suicide run the cemetery for items/weapons if you want to, but that's not the way to go now.

**SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU WANT TO FIGURE EVERYTHING OUT FOR YOURSELF, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT YOUR GOALS SHOULD BE AT THE MOMENT, READ ON**

The Taurus demon isn't unbeatable; you need to drop on his head multiple times and it's fairly easy.

The guy down the spiral staircase has a ring you want, but you should wait a bit for that. The Black Knights are also going to be very challenging until you practice combat and backstabbing a bit more.

The good news is, after the Taurus Demon, you'll meet a dragon that you can't kill yet, but if you shoot his tail with arrows you will get a powerful sword. Once you have that, you'll be cutting through the basic enemies like butter and you will gain the confidence to fight the the black knights.

Progression through the Undead Burg is slow in general because there's a lot to learn and a lot of deaths to die. I was there for at least 10 hours before I rang the first bell.

Zzoram

ErasureAcer said:

Don't go through the cemetery, you're supposed to do that AFTER ringing both bells.

Taurus is the first real boss, you're supposed to beat him first.

I'm an expert

Air Zombie Meat said:
Same here. I find most people do bow back and if they don't they won't usually attack until you're done. I like the ritual because it gives you a few seconds to make any last minute equipment swaps. Also gives you time to have a look at their equipment before the fight so you know what you're up against. For me it's not so much about being e-polite it's just a good way of starting a duel.

I'm saying though... if you're invading, you should already have your gear and everything setup. And if you're being invaded, you're human and should know the risks of being human and be ready to be invaded. There is a good 5 second warning before the invader spawns. And then it's a match to the death. I don't get where honor comes in, unless you're using the red duel stone where you purposely summon people to duel. But if it's Darkmoon, Darkwraith, or Dragon or Gravelord, I'm invading you because I want to kill you, I want to make your life miserable, I want to own you. No mercy!

As for it being a good let's start the duel sing..the duel starts the second I spawn.. I'm here..let's duel! Oh hello, why thank you for bowing, slash!

hey_it's_that_dog said:
No don't. Suicide run the cemetery for items/weapons if you want to, but that's not the way to go now.

**SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU WANT TO FIGURE EVERYTHING OUT FOR YOURSELF, BUT IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT YOUR GOALS SHOULD BE AT THE MOMENT, READ ON**

The Taurus demon isn't unbeatable; you need to drop on his head multiple times and it's fairly easy.

The guy down the spiral staircase has a ring you want, but you should wait a bit for that. The Black Knights are also going to be very challenging until you practice combat and backstabbing a bit more.

The good news is, after the Taurus Demon, you'll meet a dragon that you can't kill yet, but if you shoot his tail with arrows you will get a powerful sword. Once you have that, you'll be cutting through the basic enemies like butter and you will gain the confidence to fight the the black knights.

Progression through the Undead Burg is slow in general because there's a lot to learn and a lot of deaths to die. I was there for at least 10 hours before I rang the first bell.

Thanks for not spoilering much. Yeah I must be 6-7 hours in and really haven't accomplished much. Glad to hear I'm not the only one to take some bumps. I'll try and use your stratedgy for Taurus, thanks!

worldrevolution said:
I'm saying though... if you're invading, you should already have your gear and everything setup. And if you're being invaded, you're human and should know the risks of being human and be ready to be invaded. There is a good 5 second warning before the invader spawns. And then it's a match to the death. I don't get where honor comes in, unless you're using the red duel stone where you purposely summon people to duel. But if it's Darkmoon, Darkwraith, or Dragon or Gravelord, I'm invading you because I want to kill you, I want to make your life miserable, I want to own you. No mercy!

I guess thats where we differ then, I just want a fun fight, I'm not there to own people or make their lives miserable. It's cool if people don't subscribe to that, doesn't offend me in the slightest if they come straight for me, in that case I won't bow and just get on with it. It's just a way of signalling I'm here and ready to fight. And seeing as you're invading people who are trying to progress through the level I don't see how you can expect them to always have a pvp setup ready.

worldrevolution said:
I often hit people in the middle of bowing

Wow, really? No honor, no peace, no respect.

If someone kills me while i'm bowing, they're immediately on my no respect list. If you're on that list, I will gank you, I will use the ring of fog, I'll team up on you and not wait for you to finish off an opponenet, and i'll generally not show you any sort of courtesy. I may even use the instant kill glitch on you if you're disrespectful enough.

The respect you show others directly correlates to how others treat you, do not forget this.

PS: I also avoid people like this, thanks to xbox's avoid function, so I actually meet with these assholes less.

I'm an expert

Air Zombie Meat said:
I guess thats where we differ then, I just want a fun fight, I'm not there to own people or make their lives miserable. It's cool if people don't subscribe to that, doesn't offend me in the slightest if they come straight for me, in that case I won't bow and just get on with it. It's just a way of signalling I'm here and ready to fight.

Perhaps Demon's scarred me..but pvp in these games is never "fun" for me in the sense that I'm actively looking forward to it. It's fun in the "game" sense that I'm in a very unforgiving world, and on my way to fight some boss some crazy black phantom came into give me an even harder gameplay experience. When I used to get invaded in Demon's it was a BIG thing because all the progress I had made was about to be erased if I lost the duel. In Dark it's not that big of a deal to die..I lose 100k souls/10 humanity all the time and it's easily recovered. Still, when I invade or get invaded, I'm always thinking someone is about to lose a lot of time spent.

Though, if you're just constantly invading the same spot where people are there for nothing but pvp, I guess it makes sense to be like "hey I'm here for pvp, you're here for pvp, let's pvp /bow". But I never did the whole 4-1 stand around and duel in Demon's and I probably won't do that in this either. Every time I invaded in this game it was for owning people and taking their precious humanity! One time I did get summoned over and over by the same guy, and it was fun, but again it takes me out of the world then. I want to be a "sub-boss" in your adventure, not your dueling partner.

If I'm invading I stand in clear view at a safe distance. Once they start to move in my direction it's on.

Pretty reasonable approach, I think.

If you're gonna bow, do it when you win. It's pretty tacky otherwise.

I'm an expert

Nora Kisaragi said:
Wow, really? No honor, no peace, no respect.

If someone kills me while i'm bowing, they're immediately on my no respect list. If you're on that list, I will gank you, I will use the ring of fog, I'll team up on you and not wait for you to finish off an opponenet, and i'll generally not show you any sort of courtesy. I may even use the instant kill glitch on you if you're disrespectful enough.

The respect you show others directly correlates to how others treat you, do not forget this.

PS: I also avoid people like this, thanks to xbox's avoid function, so I actually meet with these assholes less.

Eh...this isn't a "friendly knight's honor duel game". Invading is meant to be an extra challenge in the online play of this game. That some people take it a bit more seriously and do the whole chivalry thing is great, continue on, but why must everyone subscribe to playing the way you play. No where in my game manual does it say only invade with courtesy and don't forget to bow, or people will ignore list you! Also how exactly would you gank people who are on your "no respect list"..it's not like you can choose who to invade and when. It seems to me using a glitch to grief people is more deplorable than me simply getting on with the pvp in the game without any rituals.

Also why wouldn't you use the ring of fog..I always have it on when I'm pvping.. again if you want to impose rules on yourself like do this or only wear that, by all means, but that's not for everyone.

I guess my point is..how am I an asshole by not bowing but I'm not if I invade your world, with the intent of killing you and making you lose souls/humanity, and hunt you down. I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously, Nora..

worldrevolution said:
Perhaps Demon's scarred me..but pvp in these games is never "fun" for me in the sense that I'm actively looking forward to it. It's fun in the "game" sense that I'm in a very unforgiving world, and on my way to fight some boss some crazy black phantom came into give me an even harder gameplay experience. When I used to get invaded in Demon's it was a BIG thing because all the progress I had made was about to be erased if I lost the duel. In Dark it's not that big of a deal to die..I lose 100k souls/10 humanity all the time and it's easily recovered. Still, when I invade or get invaded, I'm always thinking someone is about to lose a lot of time spent.

Though, if you're just constantly invading the same spot where people are there for nothing but pvp, I guess it makes sense to be like "hey I'm here for pvp, you're here for pvp, let's pvp /bow". But I never did the whole 4-1 stand around and duel in Demon's and I probably won't do that in this either. Every time I invaded in this game it was for owning people and taking their precious humanity! One time I did get summoned over and over by the same guy, and it was fun, but again it takes me out of the world then. I want to be a "sub-boss" in your adventure, not your dueling partner.

Yeah thats true. I mostly pvp at the kiln so it's a bit different to invading someone elsewhere. The other night I invaded there to find it was going to be 3 dudes vs me. It kind of blew my mind when instead of ganging up on me all at once they took it in turns to fight me one at a time with no interference or healing. Was really fun and something I'm just not used to seeing in online games.

worldrevolution said:
Also why wouldn't you use the ring of fog..I always have it on when I'm pvping.. again if you want to impose rules on yourself like do this or only wear that, by all means, but that's not for everyone.

You are a turd. There's a difference between "provide an extra challenge" and "Lol look at me me a cheap cunt."

worldrevolution said:
I guess my point is..how am I an asshole by not bowing but I'm not if I invade your world, with the intent of killing you and making you lose souls/humanity, and hunt you down. I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously, Nora..

Ah, see. Here is where our reasons differ. You seem to invade others as a red phantom. I'm in the forest covenant, so things are obviously different for you.

But if someones giving you the courtesy to bow, they are offering to give you respect. If you don't accept that, than they will show you none. It's how any online game works. It's like saying "I admire your skill, and recognize your strength."

Also why wouldn't you use the ring of fog..I always have it on when I'm pvping..

Oh. So you're that kind of person. No respect for you.

Edit: Also, a funny story. I got summoned to a dude's world in the forest covenant, he had a white phantom next to him. I actually traded items with the people i was invading for about five minutes then jumped off a cliff. They proceeded to add me to their friends list lol.

I'm an expert

Thagomizer said:
You are a turd. There's a difference between "provide an extra challenge" and "Lol look at me me a cheap cunt."

Woah..ok..now I'm being called names because I use an item in a game clearly meant for PVP in PVP. Just because you, one player out of many, thinks the item is cheap, we are now forbidden to use it less we be called a cunt by you. Good to know. I'll be over here..with my ring on.. and by the way all of my PVP has been on the patch with all the balance changes. The ring really doesn't add much of an advantage at all.

Oh. So you're that kind of person. No respect for you.

O....k...I'm just gonna take a break from this thread for a bit..it seems a different crowd than the usual one is here right now......
129028291398599345.jpg

I'm in Anor Londo, and I'm still using a +2 Black Knight Sword that I found (and upgraded) awhile back. Is there something better I should be using? I have around 30 Strength. Or should I just keep upgrading what I have?

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm in Anor Londo, and I'm still using a +2 Black Knight Sword that I found (and upgraded) awhile back. Is there something better I should be using? I have around 30 Strength. Or should I just keep upgrading what I have?
Did you find the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress? That one will last you a good bit.

Zzoram said:
How do I get out of Tomb of the Giants again? I'm stuck here and can't find the way to backtrack out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4GBUVJnH8

Giard

I'm having a really hard time choosing which is best between the Silver Knight Shield and the Black Knight Shield. Someone make the choice for me.

I've already maxed my Silver Knight one, but I just found the Black Knight Shield and I'm not sure what to do.

Zzoram

Jimmy Stav said:
I got it, but my Black Knight Sword is better. How does one get Twinkling Titanite? I haven't run into any lizards yet--is there somewhere they can be purchased? I want to upgrade this thing.

The patch will make it so the Anor Londo blacksmith sells them.

They drop from the clam monsters, crystal lizards, and I think there are some placed around as loot.

tokkun

Giard said:
I'm having a really hard time choosing which is best between the Silver Knight Shield and the Black Knight Shield. Someone make the choice for me.

I've already maxed my Silver Knight one, but I just found the Black Knight Shield and I'm not sure what to do.

The BK shield is useful against fire-based enemies like Ceaseless Discharge, but its stability is not as good as Silver. Silver is good all-around, BK is a specialty shield.

Jimmy Stav said:
I got it, but my Black Knight Sword is better. How does one get Twinkling Titanite? I haven't run into any lizards yet--is there somewhere they can be purchased? I want to upgrade this thing.
1.05 patch allows for Twinkling Titanite to be purchased, other than that, either Snuggly the crow or crystal lizard.

Zzoram

Man getting out of Tomb of the Giants without Cast Light or warp when I'm melee only was tough. It took me a while but eventually I managed to run past all the giant skeletons and escape up the ladders.

Stuck on Iron Golem right now. Blocking his hit still sends me flying off the building so I guess the key is to dodge not block.

UFRA

Wow, people are assholes in Darkroot Garden!!

I can't make it down the stairs from the bonfire without getting invaded. They are blue characters too, which means they are from the Darkmoon covenant, no? I don't get why they would attack me since I have 0 sins and never invaded anyone. :/

I had a nice battle with a red invader though, and we both did a bow before battle. He got me eventually but it was fun at least.

tokkun

UFRA said:
Wow, people are assholes in Darkroot Garden!!

I can't make it down the stairs from the bonfire without getting invaded. They are blue characters too, which means they are from the Darkmoon covenant, no? I don't get why they would attack me since I have 0 sins and never invaded anyone. :/

I had a nice battle with a red invader though, and we both did a bow before battle. He got me eventually but it was fun at least.

There is a special covenant that automatically invades anyone that enters that part of the area in human form. You should not go in there if you don't want PvP.

Giard

tokkun said:
The BK shield is useful against fire-based enemies like Ceaseless Discharge, but its stability is not as good as Silver. Silver is good all-around, BK is a specialty shield.
Thanks. I guess I'll keep my Silver one.

Is it just me, or is the Wolf Ring actually really good? No one here talks about it though. I think light armor looks a lot better than heavy armor, so I might use it and go for good looks.

Thagomizer said:
For an INT build, maybe. But there's better stuff to be upgraded IMO.

I'm an expert

Thagomizer said:

Everything's worth upgrading, especially if you like the feel of the weapon. I changed my weapons a lot during my playthrough whenever something felt better. Don't worry too much about stats assuming you pick something that takes advantage of your build. So if you're a dex build, using whatever spear or rapier is totally fine. If you're str, using whatever big sword or axe or whatever is fine. Don't worry too much about the hardcore min/maxing unless you're really having trouble or pvping.

The black knight sword (+5) Jimmy is using is what I'm still using because with my 32 str it still outdamages pretty much any other one hander I have. Obviously I could get more out of a bigger weapon but I like the feel of this sword. So far I've used one of every weapon type in my playthrough except the whip/daggers..my dex is too low for it.

Zzoram said:
The patch will make it so the Anor Londo blacksmith sells them.

They drop from the clam monsters, crystal lizards, and I think there are some placed around as loot.

Ah, I take it that patch isn't out yet? He doesn't seem to have any for sale.

Zzoram

Fire Gargoyle Tail Axe +5 has been serving me well. I'm in Anor Lando now, but I have no idea how I'm going to pass the silver knight archers without Hidden Body or Fog Ring and I don't really feel like backtracking all the way to Drakeroot Garden to get the Fog Ring.

tokkun

Giard said:
Is it just me, or is the Wolf Ring actually really good? No one here talks about it though. I think light armor looks a lot better than heavy armor, so I might use it and go for good looks.

Wolf Ring is good early, but once you put more points into endurance, using Havel's and Dark Wood Grain to equip heavy armor are better ways of acquiring poise, since you also get better defense.

If your goal is to get poise while keeping the looks of light armor, then by all means use the Wolf Ring.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You guys are making me feel so lucky. I got the Channeler's Trident rather early.

Now the Harpies on the other hand...they give me nothing, NOTHING. Need reprisals. :(

Mephala

So I've just started doing some online stuff, currently level 38 and just trying to gather all the items before I really settle down and start crafting my favourite weapons and trying to PVP properly. I joined the Forest Hunter Covenant aiming for the Fog Ring or whatever. When I was finally called to defend the forest there was two blue friendly phantoms, a grayish phantom and a red phantom.

Can someone tell me the difference between the colours? I note that the blues are allies so I assume they are the same covenant. I was hoping to fight one on one so I let them fight without interfering until the enemy was ready. I also noticed the red phantom and the gray one were fighting and I could target both.

Is there any chance I can get into a more 1vs1 thing or is most covenants similar?

I'm an expert

tokkun said:
Wolf Ring is good early, but once you put more points into endurance, using Havel's and Dark Wood Grain to equip heavy armor are better ways of acquiring poise, since you also get better defense.

If your goal is to get poise while keeping the looks of light armor, then by all means use the Wolf Ring.

I used the wolf ring for a long time..love it. Now I usually use the def up ring or stam regen ring depending on the situation. I haven't unequipped Havel's ring since I got it 70 hours ago.

UFRA

Wow, I just went to the dude to clear myself of sins and found out I have to pay 144,000. I'm not sure where that high total came from. I've NEVER invaded anyone, and the only other human players I've killed were people that invaded me. I also never killed an NPC.

Only things I can think of that may have caused it:
-I left Way of White covenant for Warriors of Sunlight
-I used my shield to hit Frampt a few times to wake him up
-I have summoned people to help me and they died
-I have been summoned and I died

I will wait til the patch and then that price will go down, so no biggie.

Also, Darkroot Garden completely finished now. F U invaders of the Forest covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom