• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Got past the archers just by running fast and letting the one fall down when trying to walk towards me, what a relief

farming that single silver knight hoping for his shield to drop next, going to call it a night though

Mephala

UFRA said:
Wow, I just went to the dude to clear myself of sins and found out I have to pay 144,000. I'm not sure where that high total came from. I've NEVER invaded anyone, and the only other human players I've killed were people that invaded me. I also never killed an NPC.

Only things I can think of that may have caused it:
-I left Way of White covenant for Warriors of Sunlight
-I used my shield to hit Frampt a few times to wake him up
-I have summoned people to help me and they died
-I have been summoned and I died

I will wait til the patch and then that price will go down, so no biggie.

Also, Darkroot Garden completely finished now. F U invaders of the Forest covenant.

The number of sins doesn't matter I think. The price is based on your level, the higher your level the higher the cost in souls. Joining another Covenant without leaving the covenant via the guy in the bell tower gives you sin.

Edit. I hope that wasn't you I've been invading trying to get the fog ring. :p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Mephala said:
The number of sins doesn't matter I think. The price is based on your level, the higher your level the higher the cost in souls. Joining another Covenant without leaving the covenant via the guy in the bell tower gives you sin.

Edit. I hope that wasn't you I've been invading trying to get the fog ring. :p

Leaving a covenant while in another one doesn't cause anything but any handins to be reduced by half, it doesn't count as a sin or betrayal. The price is based off of your soul level x 2000. In the patch, it's x 500.

Just now, I decided to get the second ending, so got human and summoned 2 phantoms... just when we started to fight the first dark knight, I get invaded, and we killed him pretty easy... so we continued and got invaded by a revenge phantom, He was harder and one phantom almost died, but a good timed heal saved him. We managed to kill him and then got to the final boss...

My estus were like 6, and tried to heal the phantoms when needed, we managed to get him down to 40 % until I ran out of estus. From there, it was a train wreck.

First phantom goes down and the boss had the same HP. The other phantom had heals, so he managed to heal twice while I distracted Gwyn. The boss HP was down to 10% but while I distracted the boss, the second phantom got killed by a swing trying to sneak behind him... So his spirit was fading and gwyn was trying to attack was left of him, I thought its now or never and rushed with my axe two-handed and managed to get 2 hits, leaving his HP in 2% and then he snapped out of it and swung his sword getting a hit, leaving my hp in 40%. Tried to do a second swing but managed to roll out. The next minute, were only me blocking and rolling out of his attacks... I couldn't take one more direct hit and he didn't seem to leave room to get hit either, so my only option was to parry him, but I never managed to get a parry only when fighting hollows. So tried to learn all his attacks, by that my HP was down to 20% and went for it.... Most - glorious - parry - ever, I felt like a badass after that...Thats why i love this game!

Though, I feel sorry for those two brave phantoms who helped me, sorry guys if they were any of you:) "proper bow"

Soulhouf

Giard said:
No one here talks about it though. I think light armor looks a lot better than heavy armor, so I might use it and go for good looks.
This.
I actually use it specially for PvP. It really makes a good difference.

As for bowing during PvP, I do it every time but now I wait to see the reaction of my opponent first. If he doesn't attack immediately, I bow.
It's a matter of respect. It's like in a fighting game. Before fighting, you greet your opponent. It's as simple as that.
I understand some people get frustrated when they are invaded because it makes their game harder but there are good places for PvP. Don't go for example to the Tomb of the Giants and expect people to greet you there and play fairly.

Those who are looking for good PvP should go to Kiln. Players who invade there or who are in human form are looking for PvP. Besides you don't loose anything there since it's straight forward to the boss and usually people there do PvP while farming black knights.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
hey_it's_that_dog said:
That mimic drops the lightning spear (right?), so he wasn't lying! Just didn't give you all the information you might have wanted. ;)
What the--?
Should I try "the mimic" again?

UFRA said:
Wow, I just went to the dude to clear myself of sins and found out I have to pay 144,000. I'm not sure where that high total came from. I've NEVER invaded anyone, and the only other human players I've killed were people that invaded me. I also never killed an NPC.

Only things I can think of that may have caused it:
-I left Way of White covenant for Warriors of Sunlight
-I used my shield to hit Frampt a few times to wake him up
-I have summoned people to help me and they died
-I have been summoned and I died

I will wait til the patch and then that price will go down, so no biggie.

Also, Darkroot Garden completely finished now. F U invaders of the Forest covenant.
Did you talk to Alvina? She asks a question about Sif. If you answer no, it counts as a sin. I talked to her on a new character and answered yes. I still sin, wtf.

ChryZ

Quick question regarding the lordvessel and boss souls:
Do I get the boss souls back once it was filled or are they gone forever? How can I use these souls to forge weapons if they're having this key function?

roxya

ChryZ said:
Quick question regarding the lordvessel and boss souls:
Do I get the boss souls back once it was filled or are they gone forever? How can I use these souls to forge weapons if they're having this key function?

Those souls aren't used for weapons.

Forgot how cheap the encounter with the stray demon is. Into the encounter I have half health on a NG from the fall. His attack can finish you off. Fight isn't fair, not even remotely close. If I heal, I'm dead. Gotta run behind him to heal. I've beaten him before on another character. I just don't remember it being this hard. Taking a break from that fight because I'm am so pissed off right now.

Soulhouf

zerokoolpsx said:
Forgot how cheap the encounter with the stray demon is. Into the encounter I have half health on a NG from the fall. His attack can finish you off. Fight isn't fair, not even remotely close. If I heal, I'm dead. Gotta run behind him to heal. I've beaten him before on another character. I just don't remember it being this hard. Taking a break from that fight because I'm am so pissed off right now.
There are spell called "fall control" or something like that. It allows to land without taking any damage.

roxya

zerokoolpsx said:

Kinda like Capra Demon, just get off to a good start and you should be fine.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
IrishNinja said:
how

cmonnnnnnnnn patch

Haha..def nothing to do with the patch. SL70 with a +5 Black Knight Sword (the 1h one). Double handed I oneshot the capras and 2 shot the taurus. They have very little hp..

I got invaded after Kirk by a real player though. I would have had him but I had my wand equipped, not my pyro hand..big mistake..argh still pissed!

I'm an expert

Actually it's two for the capra as well but since I double swing and they get stunned it's basically one shot.

The bonfire placement late game seems really weird..early on they're pretty few and far between but by this part in the game I feel like there's one everywhere. Duke's had like 3 all 2 rooms apart..

Septimius

So it seems this PvP build is teh shit. I also figured that just standing in a dark Anor Londo gives me waaay more PvP action than trying to invade. And now I am able to fend off 3 people at once. I mean, they're really uncoordinated, and if you just scare them a bit, they won't stay focused on attacking you at once.

Best part yesterday was when I beat three people. Two of them spawned at once, and the third when one was dead. The second character used fog ring and TWoP, but even then, it was just an uncoordinated mess of attacks from the others, so I just did a couple of swings, and they died.

It is INSANE how much damage a +15 uchi with CMW (with tin crystallization catalyst) does. I imagine if I make a +15 bandit's, with the Hornet Ring and Parrying Dagger, I will be able to one shot most people.

I've finally cleared the Demons Ruins and now got to the 1st bonfire in Lost Izalith and oh my god

This area might be the worst area i have ever seen in any game since the NES era. Boring lava area and attacking dragon legs?

WTF and i thought the Demons Ruins was crap but this is a low like i've never seen

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, the final boss is no joke. I at least got the timing down on the parrying, I just need to stop sucking so much and taking chances! Argh.

Riposte

catashtrophe said:
I've finally cleared the Demons Ruins and now got to the 1st bonfire in Lost Izalith and oh my god

This area might be the worst area i have ever seen in any game since the NES era. Boring lava area and attacking dragon legs?

WTF and i thought the Demons Ruins was crap but this is a low like i've never seen

Lava is the opposite of boring.

I'm an expert

So..final part of the onion knight quest..in lost Izalith.. jump down to fight the last octo guy..take a swing..and I hit Siegmeier....LOL...krist..there goes that game long quest. I didn't really need the titanite slab but it's like really.... I wonder if I absolved my sin it would have fixed the quest line. I doubt it for some reason. Now what to tell his daughter...ugghhhh my first hit NPC in 80 hours.

scosher

worldrevolution said:
So..final part of the onion knight quest..in lost Izalith.. jump down to fight the last octo guy..take a swing..and I hit Siegmeier....LOL...krist..there goes that game long quest. I didn't really need the titanite slab but it's like really.... I wonder if I absolved my sin it would have fixed the quest line. I doubt it for some reason. Now what to tell his daughter...ugghhhh my first hit NPC in 80 hours.

I had a similar experience last night. On NG++, going for another guaranteed slab (and in NG+, when you're skipping everything, going out of your way to still do Siegmeyer's quest is such a pain in the ass), but then when I get to Lost Izalith, I decide I want to clear all but 1 so as to make sure Siegmeyer doesn't fall below 50% or some other dumb random shit like what happened to you.

Bad mistake. On the way up, the last Chaos Eater falls into the pit trap and Siegmeyer gives me the ring instead and thanks me for clearing it all before he jumps in.

I'm an expert

scosher said:
I had a similar experience last night. On NG++, going for another guaranteed slab (and in NG+, when you're skipping everything, going out of your way to still do Siegmeyer's quest is such a pain in the ass), but then when I get to Lost Izalith, I decide I want to clear all but 1 so as to make sure Siegmeyer doesn't fall below 50% or some other dumb random shit like what happened to you.

Bad mistake. On the way up, the last Chaos Eater falls into the pit trap and Siegmeyer gives me the ring instead and thanks me for clearing it all before he jumps in.

Yeah that sounds awful too. I thought I had cleared all but one out but it was really two. He ran off for the second one and I was like oh shit get it before he does..two handed big swing..nice it's dead..wait..why are you..no..oh..sigh.

Ugh, I hate disrespectful ring of fag users and people that are like SL500 that do nothing but camp the forest and kill people trying to level up their forest covenant, makes the forest covenant nearly unplayable unless you resort to cheap tricks.

BigAT

Is there any sort of consensus on what is the best armor when considering weight:defense ratio? I'm on NG+ and it feels like the armor I've been using just isn't effective anymore. I've been wearing Havel's Ring constantly and staying under 50% while using like 3 pieces of Stone Armor, but I'm thinking of switching to the flip ring and trying to get the effects of being below 25%. I haven't really experimented with upgrading any pieces yet so I'm not sure what gets better.

Soulhouf

BigAT said:
Is there any sort of consensus on what is the best armor when considering weight:defense ratio? I'm on NG+ and it feels like the armor I've been using just isn't effective anymore. I've been wearing Havel's Ring constantly and staying under 50% while using like 3 pieces of Stone Armor, but I'm thinking of switching to the flip ring and trying to get the effects of being below 25%. I haven't really experimented with upgrading any pieces yet so I'm not sure what gets better.
IMO the best armor considering that is the Elite Knight armor fully upgraded except for the gauntlets (you can take the dark gauntlets instead).
You have all: protection, weight and zero penalty to stamina regen.

theta11

Septimius said:
So it seems this PvP build is teh shit. I also figured that just standing in a dark Anor Londo gives me waaay more PvP action than trying to invade. And now I am able to fend off 3 people at once. I mean, they're really uncoordinated, and if you just scare them a bit, they won't stay focused on attacking you at once.

Best part yesterday was when I beat three people. Two of them spawned at once, and the third when one was dead. The second character used fog ring and TWoP, but even then, it was just an uncoordinated mess of attacks from the others, so I just did a couple of swings, and they died.

It is INSANE how much damage a +15 uchi with CMW (with tin crystallization catalyst) does. I imagine if I make a +15 bandit's, with the Hornet Ring and Parrying Dagger, I will be able to one shot most people.

hardest problem i've had with parrying is lag, sometimes ill be able to parry based on thier animations then other times it's pure luck. was the same in demon's souls. also whats your fall back weapon when the enchant runs out? does no one try to wait out your enchant? lol also you are more likely to get invaded by a lower level person in dark anor londo than kiln. most of the fights i have there are with people my level.

EasyMode

BigAT said:
I don't know about concensus, but an upgraded Steel Armor set's defense stats are pretty high (I'd post the numbers for my +9 set if I was home). 60 Poise and pretty easy to get under %50 for the flip ring with 40 endurance, depending on weapons/shields of course.

From what I've read, the Elite Knight set seems very popular. No stamina penalty I believe (can someone confirm?). Although it's getting nerfed in the patch somehow.

BigAT said:

Im using in NG+:

- the mask of father (the one that increase your equip load)
- paladin chest +5
- elite knight gloves +9 (I need a slab)
- antiquated skirt+5 (or +10? dont remember)

Pretty good defense and resistances, definetly the antiquated skirt its the best leg armor you can get for lower equip burden... fully upgraded gives you 62, which is more than smough legs armor. Also the mask of the father is because my BK axe wieghts a lot and I use the flip ring, so its needed for now.

Didnt have mayor problems in NG+ with this setup and a great shield (I think it was the lighter one, one made of wood).

EasyMode

140.85 said:
Listening to the soundtrack at work. Gaping Dragon is so Kow Otani.
I had to look him up just now, and wasn't surprised to see he did the soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus. I thought the same thing when I first heard it.

Insaniac

sotodefonk said:
Im using in NG+:

- the mask of father (the one that increase your equip load)
- paladin chest +5
- elite knight gloves +9 (I need a slab)
- antiquated skirt+5 (or +10? dont remember)

Pretty good defense and resistances, definetly the antiquated skirt its the best leg armor you can get for lower equip burden... fully upgraded gives you 62, which is more than smough legs armor. Also the mask of the father is because my BK axe wieghts a lot and I use the flip ring, so its needed for now.

Didnt have mayor problems in NG+ with this setup and a great shield (I think it was the lighter one, one made of wood).

I find the black iron armor set to be pretty good, specifically the gloves (62?)ish defense and the chest piece (102?) when both are at +5. Its on the heavier side, but i compensate by using lighter legs/helm

Also, I finally tested out CMW with Ricard's Rapier, and it, well, rapes. On NG+ versus the crest door guys in dark root garden, W/O CMW and using a +12 rapier, 45 dex, I do about 400-500 damage when getting the entire sword's dance combo in. When I have CMW on with 67 INT, standard catalyst, it does 1,500 if not more damage (the enemies died before I could get all the hits in)

To get the maximum use out of it you need to have good poise so you never get interrupted in your combo. The great thing about the combo is if you don't target the enemy, you can change the direction of your stabs 3 times, once right in the beginning, once when you press R2 again, and once more when you do the final stab. makes it great in pvp versus fog ring users who think they can just circle strafe you.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Too bad the Mask of the Father is so fugly. It's so useful.

I just found out that Lifehunt Scythe + bloodbite ring = match made in heaven. I can suddenly chop people without worrying about killing myeslf, since I run out of stamina before the bleed kicks in. It gives me a chance to back off and let both bars recover. The weapon is really bloody powerful, but sadly still doesn't outdamage Great Combustion at close range.

2AdEPT

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I believe you incur sin by attacking/killing NPCs and also by being indicted after killing other players. I also sinned by saying no to joining Alvina's covenent, but I don't know if that's true of all covenants. Leaving a covenant by joining another is not a sin (I'm pretty sure).

Oswald of Carim, the guy in the undead parish belltower, will forgive your sins, which resets aggro'd NPCs (but won't bring dead ones back). He'll tell you if you have sins by offering to absolve them.

I'm not sure what the various costs of having sin are, besides having NPCs be mad at you or not being able to join Alvina's forest hunters. I think that people with sin are subject to invasion by certain covenants? Someone else surely knows more about this than me.
You pretty much got it. Sinning = attacking a non-aggressive talk prompt NPC, or getting placed on the list through invading and receiving an indictment. I had patches go aggro n me in Catacombs even though I was trying to save him form stupid skellies that delay followed me from the cave. I promptly went to carim, (after killing everyone just pruior to NG+) and had to pay like 278,000 which I did with glitched souls. When I returned, patches cut in with the exact line he was talking about beoifre I hit him...and all was well for the humanity drop there.

You are able to switch covenants anytime, but you usually lose half the benefit status when you return. I do not think that Carim can save people form that, altrhough it seems redundant to have "swicth" covenenants on his menu so who knows there must be some benefit??

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with where to put my stats.

Right now my important stats are something like 30 vit, 35 endurance and 40 dex. STR, INT, and FAI are all near minimal levels, and I'm wondering what stat I should pump. Obviously I've been fighting mostly physically and with pyromancy, but I'm not sure whether I want to go with sorcery or miracles more.

2AdEPT

tokkun said:
So I invade this guy in The Depths. I run into him as he's reaching the hallway to the bonfire. He starts approaching me all slowly, I bow, and immediately a slime falls on his head. I stand next to him and do the wave animation while he is getting eaten. This takes off about 70% of his HP, so I stand still while he retreats and Estus's back to full.

When he runs back out, I bow to him again, and he attacks me mid-bow. Chivalry is dead.

Just remember chivalry is catchy though so don't stop bowing.....you have no idea how guilty that player may feel....though you are right....many people will not change for the better....just don't change for the worse as a result.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
zerokoolpsx said:

I just beat stray demon last night in NG. If you fall in the right place and roll towards the nearest wall immediately you should have plenty of time to heal yourself with an estus before he starts attacking you.

B-Genius said:
What the--?
Should I try "the mimic" again?

Every mimic drops something, usually worthwhile stuff, so always attack every chest before opening (though they don't start to appear with any real frequency until Anor Londo, IIRC).

They are surprisingly strong, but if you just stay out of range and attack while they recover from their attacks, you'll get 'em. They have a grab that can be a one-hit kill, and their flying jumpkick is pretty strong too.

Insaniac

Akuun said:
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with where to put my stats.

Right now my important stats are something like 30 vit, 35 endurance and 40 dex. STR, INT, and FAI are all near minimal levels, and I'm wondering what stat I should pump. Obviously I've been fighting mostly physically and with pyromancy, but I'm not sure whether I want to go with sorcery or miracles more.

well might as well hit the 40 endurance mark first, then, 45 dex to max out the decreased spell casting time. from there its debatable. Honestly sorcery vs faith is your preference. Sorcery if you want to go purely offensive, and faith if you want some utility spell. Whats your attunement? If you plan on going sorc/ faith you'll need a decent amount of attunement to make it worth investing into more spells. (I will say that I think sorcery is a better path to go because it will give you ranged offensive spells, and you're mainly melee / pyromancy which is close ranged)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Need tips for beating people in the forest. I've never PvP'd on purpose before, and I'm trying to get the fog ring before I betray the covenant by getting the dark wood grain ring.

My first invasion went well. I think it was just some poor guy trying to farm souls. I killed him fairly easily and he indicted me. Then during all my subsequent invasions I ended up fighting the same couple of guys repeatedly who were clearly well-versed in PvP and probably at a higher level than me.

I'm a mostly melee build, SL61, lightning claymore +4, black iron armor, and pyromancy flame at +10. What cheap tricks should I use to win 2 more fights?

Or if I keep trying, will I eventually be matched up with someone easier to beat?

Giard

Zzoram said:
Fugly? It looks great, but I don't wear heavy armors because of the stamina penalty.
Quote said:
YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW.
I think the helmet and the gauntlets look awesome, but the chest should be renamed "Plated Love Handles".

*puts up flame shield*

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
hey_it's_that_dog said:
They are surprisingly strong, but if you just stay out of range and attack while they recover from their attacks, you'll get 'em. They have a grab that can be a one-hit kill, and their flying jumpkick is pretty strong too.

I find their fighting style hilarious. How do these chests know kung fu?

Zzoram

140.85 said:
I find their fighting style hilarious. How do these chests know kung fu?

Ancient Chinese chests?

You can tell them apart from normal chests because the chain hanging to the right of them is looped in the opposite direction

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, so I've been eyeing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a while based on positive word of mouth. My question is, should I start with Demon's Souls first or is it fine to jump on in with Dark Souls? I wouldn't mind knowing plot details, unless there is no true connection between the two games, but if Dark Souls is truly the better game then I have no qualms in skipping the first game.

There's no point in me asking if starting on Demon's Souls first would make the experience easier; I know the reputation these games have. :D

SovanJedi said:
Okay, so I've been eyeing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a while based on positive word of mouth. My question is, should I start with Demon's Souls first or is it fine to jump on in with Dark Souls? I wouldn't mind knowing plot details, unless there is no true connection between the two games, but if Dark Souls is truly the better game then I have no qualms in skipping the first game.

There's no point in me asking if starting on Demon's Souls first would make the experience easier; I know the reputation these games have. :D

You can jump right in. The story between these two games is completely unrelated. Dark Souls is almost unambiguously better in almost every way to Demon's Souls. Quite frankly, I don't think you can go wrong either way as long as you play both eventually.

So I've been tinkering around with the Life Hunt Scythe and I don't think the self bleed effect is as debilitating as it sounds. I've been able to get by just fine with the Set of Thorns and the Bleedbite Ring. The blood resist shield isn't even all that necessary. I've never seen the self bleed bar fill up. Oddly enough, it hits harder than my Lightning Great Scythe +5 despite the fact that the LGS has higher damage according to my character sheet.

Zzoram

SovanJedi said:

Both games are great and there is no story connection between the two games. Dark Souls is the better game but Demon's Souls is still great.

IMO Dark Souls is a bit easier in difficulty (mainly due to magic), if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom