• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
ErasureAcer said:
Up to Capra Demon. Sux. I've managed to kill the dogs 3 times but most fights end in 2 seconds. Managed to drop down on Capra once but still died. That's how to beat him obviously as he took a ton of damage.

There's an easy way to cheese through him
if you have soul arrow spells. When you go up the stairs and to the right in the far corner on a ledge, there is a safe spot where he can't hit you. Just lock on and when he comes into view blast away with your soul arrows. This is how I ended up beating him (discovered it completely by chance)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
NG+ is so funny because you can sequence break so badly.

- kill gargoyles, ring first bell
- crest of artorias price didn't go up along witht he number of souls you get! grab crest.
- Kill Sif.
- Use master key shortcut and kill Quelaag for second bell.

tokkun

Here is a really easy way to handle Capra.

Go to Darkroot Garden. If you can't beat Titanite Demon you can just run past him. Pick up the Elite Knight set and the Wolf Ring. It you want to make things easier, kill Havel too to get his ring. Pick a medium shield and upgrade it a bit to increase stability.

Equip Wolf Ring, Elite Knight chest, and as much of the armor as you can while staying at 50% equip or lower. You should have enough Poise to easily kill the dogs, and you should be able to go head-to-head against Capra's melee.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Akuun said:
NG+ is so funny because you can sequence break so badly.

- kill gargoyles, ring first bell
- crest of artorias price didn't go up along witht he number of souls you get! grab crest.
- Kill Sif.
- Use master key shortcut and kill Quelaag for second bell.

You can do that in any run, including your first, it's just a bit more difficult!

Zzoram

So I was summoned into a game, the host went near a mimic, I tried to lunge R2 to hit it but miss, the host thinks that means it's safe because he thought I hit it, then the host proceeds to get eaten :(

roxya

Just did some humanity farming in The Duke's Archives (the Pisaca / blue jellyfish).

72 minutes, 53 humanity and 141,000 souls. Using just the ring and 2 humanity. Would've been much more if I had Homeward.

How does that compare to baby skeletons?

Was a bit mad though. One run, half (5) of them dropped humanity in one clear. Then karma kicked in and I got nothing for eleven runs! Getting nothing even once was, I thought, something of a rarity.

Guys I have like 4 firekeeper souls on my storage, but I dont know what to do with them... Tried to use one but didnt receive any souls or any gain... If I cant upgrade my estus more, doest those souls are useless?

TommyT

sotodefonk said:
Guys I have like 4 firekeeper souls on my storage, but I dont know what to do with them... Tried to use one but didnt receive any souls or any gain... If I cant upgrade my estus more, doest those souls are useless?

They give +5 humanity I believe.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
sotodefonk said:

Any daughter of chaos, such as the firelink maiden, can upgrade your flasks. If you're at +8, welp, you're done.

Zzoram

sotodefonk said:

Is your Estus +7 yet? If not, take them to the Fire Keepers to trade them in for Estus Flask upgrades.

sotodefonk said:

You need to give them to a bonfire keeper (the woman in Firelink Shrine, the Daughter of Chaos after the Quelagg boss fight, the Knight woman in Anor Londo, etc).

roxya said:
Just did some humanity farming in The Duke's Archives (the Pisaca / blue jellyfish).

72 minutes, 53 humanity and 141,000 souls. Using just the ring and 2 humanity. Would've been much more if I had Homeward.

Was a bit mad though. One run, half (5) of them dropped humanity in one clear. Then karma kicked in and I got nothing for eleven runs! Getting nothing even once was, I thought, something of a rarity.

I always have horrible luck with the pisacas, find it much quicker getting humanity from the skeletons. Plus I hate having to run down those stairs over and over. Think I got about 70 humanity in an hour from the skeletons last night along with a few summons for Nito.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Duke's is not particularly difficult, it just requires a bit more patience; ie you have to go a lot slower than you probably want to in order to keep encounters to 1-on-1s.

Otherwise, you can also just run past everything (like most levels) should you feel the need. Clearing the level proper, though, is a pain in the ass, yes, even at much higher levels than yours.

Heh thanks. I think I went into the dark souls Frustration-> Careless mistakes-> More frustration-> more careless mistakes-> more frustration mode. i'll probably pop in tonight and clear it out, and beat the crystal caverns too :p.

TommyT

sotodefonk said:

sotodefonk said:
... If I cant upgrade my estus more

sotodefonk said:
I cant upgrade my estus

sotodefonk said:
cant upgrade

sotodefonk said:
Didnt noticed that when using one. And yeah my estus is at +7 thats why I asked :p Thanks for the info :)

I don't know why you got all those replies telling you to use them to upgrade when you said that in your first post. :lol

I'm an expert

Zoe said:
She's not a daughter of chaos...

Got confused with firemaiden and accidentally wrote that..I've been in Izalith for a while.. thanks for popping in to catch me on that though...cough..

Blighttown is pretty embarrassing, just like world 5 in Demon's Souls.

The framerate is never great in this game, but Blighttown actually gives me a headache. No excuse for something like that to make it in to the final game. Horrible.

Only times the games crashed for me are when someone uses fire surge on a boss. The frame rate drops to .1 fps followed by a freeze. Always makes me worry that my save is going to get corrupted.

Booshka

Foliorum Viridum said:

The framerate is never great in this game, but Blighttown actually gives me a headache. No excuse for something like that to make it in to the final game. Horrible.
It really is terrible, my best suggestion is to manipulate your camera so you are looking at as little as possible. Look at the floor, a wall next to you, stuff like that, if you have your camera looking straight and it is rendering all that stuff in the background, your framerate will barely make it out of single digits. It's inexcusable, and I am glad I can skip most of it with the master key.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I actually didn't have very many problems with the Blighttown framerate. Aramais, however, nearly brought my game to its knees, especially once I got up to the Red Soapstone. I got 10 FPS up there, maybe, and I have lots of slowdown in places where it doesn't make much sense- for instance, the golem's crystal AOE attack always dips my framerate, even though Seath's, which is much larger and more elaborate, didn't.

Also, I've learned that I SUCK at PvP, yet I can power through the "tough" spots in the single player easily. I steamrolled the Gargoyles, beat Sif on my first try and only got hit once (because I got greedy and tried to get in one more hit while he was in the middle of an attack animation,) I beat S & O on my third try (I died intentionally the first time so I could get the Leo ring and killed Ornstein last on my real run. I had a helper, but he died before the second round), I got both Seath's and Priscilla's tails on my first attempt, I got past the Archers on my second attempt (and I fell off on my own the first time with no input from them), got through Sen's with only three deaths (not counting those from the Titanite demons, as I didn't know there was a way up from that pit -_- ), and yet almost everyone I encounter in PvP mauls the shit out of me, even without Fog Ring or TWoP.

Booshka said:
It really is terrible, my best suggestion is to manipulate your camera so you are looking at as little as possible. Look at the floor, a wall next to you, stuff like that, if you have your camera looking straight and it is rendering all that stuff in the background, your framerate will barely make it out of single digits. It's inexcusable, and I am glad I can skip most of it with the master key.
I have the master key. Care to share, with as few spoilers as possible, how to skip lots of it?

I'm so used to 60fps on my PC that the normal framerate of Dark Souls seems bad, but in Blighttown it's just on a whole different level.

My route so far has been
Undead Burg > Parish > Darkroot Garden > Lower Undead Burg > The Depths > Blighttown
if it helps with the master key info :)

Zzoram

Foliorum Viridum said:
I have the master key. Care to share, with as few spoilers as possible, how to skip lots of it?

I'm so used to 60fps on my PC that the normal framerate of Dark Souls seems bad, but in Blighttown it's just on a whole different level.

My route so far has been
Undead Burg > Parish > Darkroot Garden > Lower Undead Burg > The Depths > Blighttown

With the master key you can enter Blighttown the back way, skipping most of it. Go to Firelink, go down the elevator below the Firekeeper to New Londo Ruins, go up the stairwell just beside the one you came from and open the locked door to enter Valley of the Drakes. Cross a tiny wooden bridge, then go into the Blighttown giant cave. You spend like 5 seconds in Valley of the Drakes. There are 3 ogres guarding this entrance but other than that, just go down a bunch of platforms then when you've gone down as many ladders as you can, use the water wheel to carry you down to a platform. Then go down the ladder and find the bonfire really nearby under an archway/tunnel.

Booshka

Foliorum Viridum said:

My route so far has been
With the Master Key you can completely ignore the
Depths>Blighttown path. You can just go down to New Londo Ruins from Firelink Shrine, then go through the shortcut to Valley of Drakes and enter the back way of Blighttown, from there, you can set up shop at the Sewer bonfire in Blighttown and go for Quelagg from there.
I like to do the
Depths anyway, but I usually just go back up then come down the back way to Blighttown. It's only worth going through the front of Blighttown for a few items.

Edit: beaten, and wasted my time with spoiler tags.

This thread is in community, I shouldn't even bother spoiler tagging locations

2AdEPT

.GqueB. said:
I believe so. I actually never killed a forrest invader but when invaded another played and killed them, I got their souls (hence the 700k).

If they didnt get any souls thatd be pretty shitty. Would also make it odd that people would sit there waiting to be invaded since there is no reward.
I think you only get a % of their soul total and yes they retain theirs in their bloodstain.

Soulhouf

roxya said:

After 3 hours of baby skeletons farming I got 99 humanities in my inventory + 99 humanities I consumed + more than 1 500 000 souls.

It was kind of a Dynasty Warriors-like exercise but I got more than what I wanted...

Booshka said:
With the Master Key you can completely ignore the
Depths>Blighttown path. You can just go down to New Londo Ruins from Firelink Shrine, then go through the shortcut to Valley of Drakes and enter the back way of Blighttown, from there, you can set up shop at the Sewer bonfire in Blighttown and go for Quelagg from there.
I like to do the
Depths anyway, but I usually just go back up then come down the back way to Blighttown. It's only worth going through the front of Blighttown for a few items.

Edit: beaten, and wasted my time with spoiler tags.

This thread is in community, I shouldn't even bother spoiler tagging locations
I still appreciate it! :D

And yeah, wasn't sure if I had to tag locations so I did it just to be safe.

Insaniac

Zzoram said:
So I was summoned into a game, the host went near a mimic, I tried to lunge R2 to hit it but miss, the host thinks that means it's safe because he thought I hit it, then the host proceeds to get eaten :(

it kind bothers me that when your allies get caught in a grab attack you can do NOTHING about it except watch him get eaten/owned/die.

Especially annoying vs Super Orstein and the Mimic's insta-death om nom attack

Edit: Assuming you're not host and you can't spam flasks to save your ally

Insaniac

TheThunder said:
So is it pretty much agreed upon that Resistance is a useless stat to upgrade ?

Resistance boosts pyro damage

no it doesn't

edit: pointless double post!!! if this thread was still in Gaming this wouldn't have happened :(

tokkun said:
Here is a really easy way to handle Capra.

Go to Darkroot Garden. If you can't beat Titanite Demon you can just run past him. Pick up the Elite Knight set and the Wolf Ring. It you want to make things easier, kill Havel too to get his ring. Pick a medium shield and upgrade it a bit to increase stability.

Equip Wolf Ring, Elite Knight chest, and as much of the armor as you can while staying at 50% equip or lower. You should have enough Poise to easily kill the dogs, and you should be able to go head-to-head against Capra's melee.

Tried going to garden. Fell for the trap when 3 plants jump me. Might give it another go there and do what you suggest.

TommyT

ErasureAcer said:
Tried going to garden. Fell for the trap when 3 plants jump me. Might give it another go there and do what you suggest.

Just run there, grab the armor, and run out. Do it armorless to keep your speed up.

man, feels weird to get 500k souls from one kill... was invading higher level players in the forest and bam, 500,000 souls from some Havel armor wearing guy. what do i do with it? at my level 38 i could probably level several dozen times lol. but i want to stay at this level, so i guess i'll just buy 99 of every useful item for now.

also, i had a weird bug. before i re-joined the forest covenant i was dropping my Warrior of Sunlight sign in the forest hoping to get summoned to fight Sif, and instead i was summoned by Alvina as a forest invader :O wtf! i wasn't even in the covenant and certainly wasn't wearing the ring! really bizarre.

tokkun

Back to yesterday's discussion about bowing, just because a player bows doesn't mean they will fight honorably either.

I ran into this guy who is just sitting around in Blighttown waiting to be invaded with the whole cheeseplate: full Havel's armor, Ring of Fog, TWOP, Strong Magic Shield, Crystal Ring Shield, and Wrath. I am only level 22 on this character, so he easily destroys me in two hits.

The guy messages me asking my level and I tell him, assuming he's going to feel sheepish about using all that stuff against a guy who is probably 1/20th his level.

Later on I invade the guy again, exact same location. I figure wtf, I'll bow to him this time. He bows back. I'm thinking, "oh, maybe he will fight fairly this time since he knows that I'm low level". Then he proceeds to cast Strong Magic Shield six consecutive times as I just roll around and dodge waiting for them to wear off and he tries to CRS me.

Minamu

Sigh, after 2.5 hours I finally beat Ornstein and Smough (Ornstein last) thanks to 1100+ hp and crystal ring shield... And now I'm kinda stuck on four kings xD I was pretty close to winning with 6 iron flesh but the controller lag/command queue killed when with a aze swing when I wanted to heal >_<

Are there no bonfires in New Londo? Still kinda wish I had some new armor, but Ornstein's set will have to do. Too bad it's non-upgradable :(

theta11

tokkun said:
Back to yesterday's discussion about bowing, just because a player bows doesn't mean they will fight honorably either.

I ran into this guy who is just sitting around in Blighttown waiting to be invaded with the whole cheeseplate: full Havel's armor, Ring of Fog, TWOP, Strong Magic Shield, Crystal Ring Shield, and Wrath. I am only level 22 on this character, so he easily destroys me in two hits.

The guy messages me asking my level and I tell him, assuming he's going to feel sheepish about using all that stuff against a guy who is probably 1/20th his level.

Later on I invade the guy again, exact same location. I figure wtf, I'll bow to him this time. He bows back. I'm thinking, "oh, maybe he will fight fairly this time since he knows that I'm low level". Then he proceeds to cast Strong Magic Shield six consecutive times as I just roll around and dodge waiting for them to wear off and he tries to CRS me.

That's why I'm looking foward to the patch which will completely expose alot of the current PVP community.

I'm an expert

tokkun said:

I just had 3 Darkmoon invasions in a row (me invading them), 2 in Anor Londo, 1 in Painted World. All Japanese players since we're patched. Not a single bowed to me. The first two came right at me, one then went to summon someone, and the third shot her crossbow at me while I put CMW on my +15 Ricard Rapier. 2 of them seemed to be progressing their single player quests, while one seemed to be waiting for pvp (dark AL).

Again, not saying there's anything wrong with bowing..but it's not very common on this side of the ocean. People know why I'm there, they don't want me there, they try to eliminate me.

Booshka

worldrevolution said:
I just had 3 Darkmoon invasions in a row (me invading them), 2 in Anor Londo, 1 in Painted World. All Japanese players since we're patched. Not a single bowed to me. The first two came right at me, one then went to summon someone, and the third shot her crossbow at me while I put CMW on my +15 Ricard Rapier. 2 of them seemed to be progressing their single player quests, while one seemed to be waiting for pvp (dark AL).

Again, not saying there's anything wrong with bowing..but it's not very common on this side of the ocean. People know why I'm there, they don't want me there, they try to eliminate me.
It depends on the type of invasion, if you are putting down a soapstone at the Kiln, I would expect players to bow to each other almost every time. Darkmoon/Forest covenant invasions are a little more free for all and so they don't really lend themselves to bowing. It's cool to bow as a Darkwraith invader to the Host, to show respect and hopefully that will lead to a clean fight, but that isn't guaranteed either.

I will say that the impetus for bowing lies on the invader though, so if you invade a player, bow to the host then he may bow back. Try bowing first in your invasions and see what happens.

I'm an expert

Booshka said:
It depends on the type of invasion, if you are putting down a soapstone at the Kiln, I would expect players to bow to each other almost every time. Darkmoon/Forest covenant invasions are a little more free for all and so they don't really lend themselves to bowing. It's cool to bow as a Darkwraith invader to the Host, to show respect and hopefully that will lead to a clean fight, but that isn't guaranteed either.

I will say that the impetus for bowing lies on the invader though, so if you invade a player, bow to the host then he may bow back. Try bowing first in your invasions and see what happens.

We had this conversation yesterday lol. I don't want to bow. This isn't a bowing game. It's a put my sword through your face and make you lose all your souls/humanity/time game. When I spawn, the death match begins. First blood baby.

Booshka

worldrevolution said:
We had this conversation yesterday lol. I don't want to bow. This isn't a bowing game. It's a put my sword through your face and make you lose all your souls/humanity/time game. When I spawn, the death match begins. First blood baby.
That wasn't my point, I was trying to explain how you may see more people bow if you bow first. You coming to the conclusion that no one bows may be a false opinion because you never bow to the host when you invade. If you tried bowing first, I am sure you would see more people bow back, and then change your opinion about the decorum of players "on that side of the ocean."

2AdEPT

scosher said:
I did it solo with 0 poise and no Iron Flesh/Strong Magic Shield.

Get your strongest dealing weapon, two-hand it, and get up close to them. Ignore blocking as their horizontal attacks don't deal too much damage. You can also roll to dodge them. The real key though is Green Blossoms. Eat one of these and you should have no problem with stamina to just pummel damage into them. The fight's more of a DPS check honestly. Once you down one, quaff an estus then go to next.
Green moss, cloranthy ring, child's mask and grass shield all stack as well so why only get one benefit?

I'm an expert

Booshka said:
That wasn't my point, I was trying to explain how you may see more people bow if you bow first. You coming to the conclusion that no one bows may be a false opinion because you never bow to the host when you invade. If you tried bowing first, I am sure you would see more people bow back, and then change your opinion about the decorum of players "on that side of the ocean."

Oh we have bowfests when it comes to co-op. I also bow when another invader comes for the same target. And I'm sure when they're doing their final flame dueling there's bowing going on. I just like to poke fun at the people who seem to enjoy bowing more than pvp. But I'm not going to bow as an invader, and I appreciate that the don't as an invadee.

2AdEPT

worldrevolution said:
Argh..summoned 3x in a row at Bed of Chaos but no one will drop their sign for me to summon. I know..it's 6AM on a Thursday..but come on people I gotta kill this thing!
Did you try the quit trick?
get first orb - quit....game resets you back to front but gives credit for orb. GO to 2nd orb, smash - quit - game puts you back at front.....shield up, drop down by squre tile sticking out...kill Bof C. I almost did it in one try but I fumbled for my estus after getting swatted with the branch twice...by reloading you get far less floor crumble and don't have to traverse the floor anyway.

EasyMode

worldrevolution said:
Fuck Bed of Chaos. Fuck it fuck it fuck it. That's all.
Agreed. Unlike most bosses, which get easier with each encounter, Bed of Chaos fucks me over every time. When I was watching the speedrun on youtube, I noticed that even that player seemed extremely weary of this boss despite making all the others look like a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom