• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speevy said:
Yes, but I believe you have to move it down to get down to the covenant area, don't you?

Doing that makes it inaccessible from the place it dumps you.

Do you have any homeward bones? They're supposed to take you back to the last bonfire you rested at, perhaps that would work.

Sullichin

Foliorum Viridum said:
I got quite far down in Blighttown tonight and the framerate was literally 5. I couldn't even fight anyone because it was so bad.

It's a shame such a perfect game has an unplayable section in it. I'm absolutely fucking hate it.

Urgh. If you can't keep a good framerate, DON'T PUT IT IN THE GAME.

I agree, the framerate there is terrible and really detracts from the gameplay. Is there any chance of it being better in 1.05???

It's really sad that Japan for some reason hates PC ports, It doesn't have to be anything special or put extra stuff to lure the pc crowed, just give me the ability to play at a higher res, up the AA a notch or two and obviously play at a sweet, sweet 60 frames per second and FROM can have my entire wallet.

Ristlager

tokkun said:
No, of course not. But the issue with the glitch is that it makes it so easy to level to 300+ that you have such an overabundance of superpowered characters that screws up the distribution of players that you run into, particularly as a darkwraith. Farming enemies does not take skill either, but most people are not willing to farm for hundreds of hours.
I can see that, I stopped at 100 (from 80), just to have a slightly easier time with the game, and allowing me to use a certain sword (needed some intelligens..) and the glitch made me slightly less angry from loosing 110k souls I had been getting the right way, when I could not use any of the bonefires in Anor, because I was constantly getting invaded (whats up with that?) Defeated 4 of them before I found a boss waiting near the second bonefire and died :(

TheThunder said:
It's really sad that Japan for some reason hates PC ports, It doesn't have to be anything special or put extra stuff to lure the pc crowed, just give me the ability to play at a higher res, up the AA a notch or two and obviously play at a sweet, sweet 60 frames per second and FROM can have my entire wallet.
Oh God, I wouldn't even need the extra visual flair, I'd just kill for the 60fps!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man, it sucks trying to get the Titanite Demon's weapon to drop. I wish I had known about it before I went on to NG+. He has so much HP now.

Sullichin said:
I agree, the framerate there is terrible and really detracts from the gameplay. Is there any chance of it being better in 1.05???
The issue appears to be the game struggling to deal with all the enemies's AI at the same time. If you actually wander around other areas in the game, you enemies will actually spawn just before they would have come into view. With Blighttown and Lost Izalith, the game has dozens of mobs spawned and operating at the same time because of how the levels are designed.

When you clear all of the bounding Demons out of Lost Izalith, the frame rate improves. I think this supports the idea that the AI is causing the framerate issues.

EasyMode

140.85 said:
Man, it sucks trying to get the Titanite Demon's weapon to drop. I wish I had known about it before I went on to NG+. He has so much HP now.
Not needed for the trophy if that's the reason you wanted it. Combustion/Great Combustion pyromancies work very well against them even in NG+. I never got that catch pole to drop though :/

roxya

Mortrialus said:
The issue appears to be the game struggling to deal with all the enemies's AI at the same time. If you actually wander around other areas in the game, you enemies will actually spawn just before they would have come into view. With Blighttown and Lost Izalith, the game has dozens of mobs spawned and operating at the same time because of how the levels are designed.

When you clear all of the bounding Demons out of Lost Izalith, the frame rate improves. I think this supports the idea that the AI is causing the framerate issues.

People said it was pathing and I believe that.

You know those huge cats on the way to Sif? Framerate was fine when they were where they're supposed to be, but when I baited them to the ridge, it seems like their AI doesn't allow them to come down to where you are. When you do this, they kinda spaz out on the ridge for a little and the framerate drops like crazy.

The really bad frame rates (2-5 FPS) happen in the same spot every time for me (the door to Nito and the ladder from the Parish to the Burg) but it's rare that it happens. Most of the time it loads the next area seamlessly. Blighttown is bad but it doesn't drop low enough to actually upset me. Gets close though.

Mortrialus said:

There's another area with framerate issues like Blighttown?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Foliorum Viridum said:
There's another area with framerate issues like Blighttown?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No other areas consistently drop like BT, no.

I hope not, because I'm just going to grit my teeth and get through Blighttown. If Lost Whateveritscalled was the same it would destroy my soul.

Kinda appropriate for the game in question, but still!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hope not, because I'm just going to grit my teeth and get through Blighttown. If Lost Whateveritscalled was the same it would destroy my soul.

Kinda appropriate for the game in question, but still!
Also, if you reach rank 2 in the
Chaos Covenant, a shortcut opens up that lets you skip the worst of it.

Thagomizer said:
Also, if you reach rank 2 in the
Chaos Covenant, a shortcut opens up that lets you skip the worst of it.
The thing is I hate the idea of "skipping" anything in this game because I want to experience it all... just not at 5fps.

Foliorum Viridum said:
So says you, but I'd never know for myself! That's the problem.

I'll keep it in mind, though!

You know how the Undead dragons you fight are only the front halves?

Their legs-yes-, just the legs- are regular enemies in Izalith.

chunk3rvd

I think I'm officially GAF's slowest player at this. Bought on launch day and at 75 hours in I'm nearing the end of Anor Londo while still at SL31. Haven't levelled up in well over 50 hours. I'm in no rush to finish the game and have just been enjoying things like fighting in the forest covenant, helping people out with Capra, Gaping Dragon and Queelag as a Sunbro and fighting off invaders in Sen's Fortress

Still want to stay at this level for as long as I can. I'm about to whip up a Queelag's Furysword +5 and a Crystal Ring Sheild +5 so I think the next few sections should still be do able. I'm starting to think about where I want to go when I do level up though and I just knocked up a little spreadsheet and came up with the following plan:

Current > Planned

VIT - 15 > 40
ATT - 12 > 16
END - 15 > 40
STR - 16 > 20
DEX - 24 > 30
RES - 12 > 12
INT - 12 > 40
FAI - 8 > 8

SL - 31 > 123

I like using Asian swords up close and bow's from afar, although I'm finding bows a lot less useful/cheesy in Dark Souls compared to Demons. I picked up 4 Uchi's and 3 Washing Pole's off Shiva for future upgrades before I killed him and his buddy and I'm planning on heading back to Blighttown for the Iato. I would also like to end up with some decent magic to assist me

Thought I would take ATT to 16 to get the 4 spell slots, STR to 20 for the Washing Pole, DEX to 30 for my bows and asian swords and dump everything else into INT. Luckily 40 INT took me to SL123 which feels about right

Will 40 INT get me most of the decent spells? I'm interested in Crystal Magic Weapon and Homing Soul Mass based off my Demon's Souls experience. Any other advice about where I might be going wrong?

TommyT

tokkun, and anyone else who did a lowbie run, how did you get past Four Kings? I've yet to get the kindling rite so my flask is at 10 chugs. I'm going to try to Crystal Ring Shield cheese them with Beatrice tonight, but man that's a tough fight without having a decent amount of health or the strength to two-hand a powerful weapon.

Side question, what's the hardest hitting weapon that requires 24 str? That's the max I could go for a stat req as my str is currently 16. I'm using a +4 FDS. Even with Iron Flesh and full Havels it's still too much for my puny health bar.

Septimius

chunk3rvd said:
I think I'm officially GAF's slowest player at this. Bought on launch day and at 75 hours in I'm nearing the end of Anor Londo while still at SL31. Haven't levelled up in well over 50 hours. I'm in no rush to finish the game and have just been enjoying things like fighting in the forest covenant, helping people out with Capra, Gaping Dragon and Queelag as a Sunbro and fighting off invaders in Sen's Fortress

Still want to stay at this level for as long as I can. I'm about to whip up a Queelag's Furysword +5 and a Crystal Ring Sheild +5 so I think the next few sections should still be do able. I'm starting to think about where I want to go when I do level up though and I just knocked up a little spreadsheet and came up with the following plan:

Current > Planned

VIT - 15 > 40
ATT - 12 > 16
END - 15 > 40
STR - 16 > 20
DEX - 24 > 30
RES - 12 > 12
INT - 12 > 40
FAI - 8 > 8

SL - 31 > 123

I like using Asian swords up close and bow's from afar, although I'm finding bows a lot less useful/cheesy in Dark Souls compared to Demons. I picked up 4 Uchi's and 3 Washing Pole's off Shiva for future upgrades before I killed him and his buddy and I'm planning on heading back to Blighttown for the Iato. I would also like to end up with some decent magic to assist me

Thought I would take ATT to 16 to get the 4 spell slots, STR to 20 for the Washing Pole, DEX to 30 for my bows and asian swords and dump everything else into INT. Luckily 40 INT took me to SL123 which feels about right

Will 40 INT get me most of the decent spells? I'm interested in Crystal Magic Weapon and Homing Soul Mass based off my Demon's Souls experience. Any other advice about where I might be going wrong?

What's important here is getting the most bang for your buck. 40 is absolute max you'd need. I have 35 vit now, and I'm killing everything in PvP even without the Mask of The Mother. I'd say fuck washing pole. Go 40 DEX, 40 INT. There's no point in taking INT higher, lest you want Crystal Spear, but that's very poor for PvPing, and you can get both Crystal Magic Weapon and Crystal Homing Soulmass.

Above 40 int, catalysts no longer skyrocket in terms of MagAdjust (check this out: http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/catalyst-talisman) - the same with Dex for a +15 Uchigatana (check: http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/normal) so 40 DEX, 40 INT is getting the most bang for your buck.

Even with 16, you're only 2 over the ideal 14, so you're still on course for the (in my view) best build in the game. Tin Crystallization Catalyst + CMW + +15 Uchi - you'll kill everyone you face. Again, I'm at 35 VIT, 40 END DEX INT, best build ever.

Septimius

TommyT said:
Side question, what's the hardest hitting weapon that requires 24 str? That's the max I could go for a stat req as my str is currently 16. I'm using a +4 FDS. Even with Iron Flesh and full Havels it's still too much for my puny health bar.

Zweihander, no contest

edit: still so used to this thread moving so fast that a couple of minutes would require a new post.

TommyT

Septimius said:
Zweihander, no contest

edit: still so used to this thread moving so fast that a couple of minutes would require a new post.

Completely forgot about that. So a +15 one, or should I make it something else?

tokkun

TommyT said:
tokkun, and anyone else who did a lowbie run, how did you get past Four Kings? I've yet to get the kindling rite so my flask is at 10 chugs. I'm going to try to Crystal Ring Shield cheese them with Beatrice tonight, but man that's a tough fight without having a decent amount of health or the strength to two-hand a powerful weapon.

On my SL22 character I just did the typical stuff - Iron Flesh, Havel's armor, Mask of the Child (or Father if necessary for your equip load). Two-hand your most powerful weapons (Lightning Spear +3 for me at the time). Put the Grass Crest Shield on your back. Eat some stamina grass before the start of the fight.

It took me two tries. With low VIT, it's pretty tough to survive if your Iron Flesh wears off at the wrong moment, so there is an element of luck involved. Although you will be slow, try to circle a little when you are not attacking or healing. You want to avoid provoking the grab move because it will eat up precious time on your Iron Flesh castings.

The hardest hitting weapon for 24 STR is probably the Zweihander, but I'm not sure that will give you the best DPS due to slow swings and high stamina use per swing. Maybe a Claymore (which you can actually wield one-handed at 16 STR).

chunk3rvd

Septimius said:
What's important here is getting the most bang for your buck. 40 is absolute max you'd need. I have 35 vit now, and I'm killing everything in PvP even without the Mask of The Mother. I'd say fuck washing pole. Go 40 DEX, 40 INT. There's no point in taking INT higher, lest you want Crystal Spear, but that's very poor for PvPing, and you can get both Crystal Magic Weapon and Crystal Homing Soulmass.

Above 40 int, catalysts no longer skyrocket in terms of MagAdjust (check this out: http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/catalyst-talisman) - the same with Dex for a +15 Uchigatana (check: http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/normal) so 40 DEX, 40 INT is getting the most bang for your buck.

Even with 16, you're only 2 over the ideal 14, so you're still on course for the (in my view) best build in the game. Tin Crystallization Catalyst + CMW + +15 Uchi - you'll kill everyone you face. Again, I'm at 35 VIT, 40 END DEX INT, best build ever.

Thanks for the tips! If I keep STR at 16, drop VIT to 34 and raise DEX to 40 I can stay at SL123 so I think that's the way I'll go. Going to stay low for now in case the patch changes anything majorly and if not this will be my plan

Also, stay safe Dark Souls GAF. We're about to go dark for the next 15 hours. Good luck out there!

Septimius

chunk3rvd said:
Thanks for the tips! If I keep STR at 16, drop VIT to 34 and raise DEX to 40 I can stay at SL123 so I think that's the way I'll go. Going to stay low for now in case the patch changes anything majorly and if not this will be my plan

Sounds like a good plan. The only thing the patch will change is making the Enchanted +5 weapon you'll make for backup even more powerful :>

TommyT

Septimius said:
at 24 str, +5 Lightning (or any other non-scaling upgrade) will be best

tokkun said:
On my SL22 character I just did the typical stuff - Iron Flesh, Havel's armor, Mask of the Child (or Father if necessary for your equip load). Two-hand your most powerful weapons (Lightning Spear +3 for me at the time). Put the Grass Crest Shield on your back. Eat some stamina grass before the start of the fight.

It took me two tries. With low VIT, it's pretty tough to survive if your Iron Flesh wears off at the wrong moment, so there is an element of luck involved. Although you will be slow, try to circle a little when you are not attacking or healing. You want to avoid provoking the grab move because it will eat up precious time on your Iron Flesh castings.

The hardest hitting weapon for 24 STR is probably the Zweihander, but I'm not sure that will give you the best DPS due to slow swings and high stamina use per swing. Maybe a Claymore (which you can actually wield one-handed at 16 STR).

I'll try making both, Claymore and Zwei. I suppose I can venture into the Catacombs to get the mask, I can also get the Rite while I'm down and will give me plenty of extra estus chugs. Do Iron Flesh and Stamina Grass stack? I know when I use Transient Curse I cannot cast Iron Flesh until it wears off.

2AdEPT

tc farks said:
I just looked it up. Wouldn't take me very long at all to go into Lower Undead Berg and
kill Griggs
But as a fellow sorcerer I would be saddened.
Yeah you are right, my slumbering was from Sens fortress though , not griggs, but that wouldn't help the guy who is just starting out with his character and wants a shield....I guess the gold hemmed set plus the lightning spear, slumbering ring, coventous ring, and steel ring, where higher on this particualr characters list thatn the eagle shield on that particular run through.

tokkun

TommyT said:
I'll try making both, Claymore and Zwei. I suppose I can venture into the Catacombs to get the mask, I can also get the Rite while I'm down and will give me plenty of extra estus chugs. Do Iron Flesh and Stamina Grass stack? I know when I use Transient Curse I cannot cast Iron Flesh until it wears off.

Actually, now that you mention it, they don't stack. I guess you are limited to the mask and shield.

Speevy

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Do you have any homeward bones? They're supposed to take you back to the last bonfire you rested at, perhaps that would work.

Tried that, it picks that place as your last respawning place.

I tried to trick it by going back to Firelink shrine, then warping to the Darkmoon bonfire, but not resting there.

He still stuck me back in the default Anor Londo place.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just beat S&O last night, solo but with some help from Crystal Ring Shield. Really fun fight, most of the time.

Is there a best/popular order to kill the next 4 bosses/explore their areas?

It seems like Tomb of Giants might be the easiest place to start, but I kinda want the sunlight maggot before I go there so I don't have to juggle the lantern. Or is dealing with the lantern not as big a pain as I'm imagining?

Septimius

Speevy said:
I'm on NG+ trying to beat Gwyndolyn (only boss I haven't beaten) and I keep dying.

I reckon I can beat him with a few more tries, but I'm mainly frustrated about how it keeps spitting me out down in the (now vacant) Anor Londo bonfire.

So I have to climb back on those damn rafters every time I want to get back to the boss or warp.

Is that just a consequence of playing this boss? It's kind of cruel that they let you warp right there from anywhere but you can't stay there after you die.

Anor Londo throws you out when it goes dark. If you die, you default to the Anor Londo bonfire, no matter where you last rested. It's just Gwyndolyn's way of flipping you off.

Septimius

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just beat S&O last night, solo but with some help from Crystal Ring Shield. Really fun fight, most of the time.

It seems like Tomb of Giants might be the easiest place to start, but I kinda want the sunlight maggot before I go there so I don't have to juggle the lantern. Or is dealing with the lantern not as big a pain as I'm imagining?

get Cast Light. Oolacile sells it. Basically no requirement to cast. Didn't really use the latern. Do Duke Archives before you do Lost Izalith, though, else you can't finish the Sieg of Catarina story line.

TommyT

Septimius said:
get Cast Light. Oolacile sells it. Basically no requirement to cast. Didn't really use the latern. Do Duke Archives before you do Lost Izalith, though, else you can't finish the Sieg of Catarina story line.

14 int! :(

tokkun

On my first playthrough I did Cast Light, but on subsequent characters I go for Sunlight Maggot. It is the most convenient option IF you can pull together the 30 humanity for the shortcut.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Septimius said:

Sounds good. I'll have to put a couple of points into INT, but that's fine as I'm carrying several other spells that I meant to use but never got around to.

I take it that it doesn't really matter whether I do Abyss or Tomb of Giants first?

tokkun said:
On my first playthrough I did Cast Light, but on subsequent characters I go for Sunlight Maggot. It is the most convenient option IF you can pull together the 30 humanity for the shortcut.

I was thinking about farming some humanity anyway since I'm sure there will be a lot of kindling in my future. I'm a melee character and have relied on pyro for all my non-physical attack needs.

If humanity farming feels like a waste of time, I'll just hit up the forest glitch for a couple of quick INT level ups.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
so...trying a bit more pvp before I beat the game..being invaded is WAY easier than invading..all low lvls invade..

2AdEPT

Septimius said:
Skimmed through the rest of this post, but this is what I wanted to address. The thing with Lightning weapons is that they do two damage types, physical and lightning. That means that each part of the damage is measured against each resistance.

Isn't this the same for magic and fire? Its pretty rare, if not completely no-existant to be abkle ot find a melee weapon that only does fire, magic or lightning isn't it? I mean there is the crystal ring shield but most have two types anyway unless they are +15 melee? PLus slash vs. pierce vs. blunt etc???

If that is true, i really don't see a need to go through the math. I understand that armour will interfere with weapons, and that if you know that that armour has certian deficiencies or reistance to certain elements that it can be disadvantageous to split it, particuallary with fire weapon as many armours have high fire resistance....but with choas weapons for example it appears that the humanity bonus may actually be applied as physical or even ignore the fire resistnace of armours at it appears to hit ok even on high fire resistance armour types.

Keeping in mind that all armours also subdivide thrust vs. slash etc. my assumption is that you will always be going through multiple resistancesand that the only time I would need to worry about moving to a +15 weapon was when the particular enemy semed to have a huge defense agaisnt my fire or lightning, or magic hybrid weapon; or agisnt my style (high pierce protect if using spear for example. )

Perhaps I am guilty of not being meticulous enough but to me there are very rare times where the +15 weapon will be better (low armour on the enemy) but most times a hybrid will at least do some major damage as at least one ofthe two resistances will hit big. Because lightning resistance is the least common stat to be high on all armours in the game there are only a couple enemies where it woudl be better...but especially in pvp there are very rare enemies that have littel o no physical protect and your +15 weapon won't hit as hard after the resistance check on anything with armour. I usually choose the steel plate resistnace ring if I think the enmemy will attack me with no element, but will always try ot take out the elemental effect withteh appropriate ring if I know what element is coming because i can handle the physical protect with a decent armour (and shield which gives 100% physical block most times, but less elemental.)

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Lantern is the worst possible way you could attempt it. You don't get the lantern until after the worst part of the zone, as far as dark is concerned.

I would do:

Duke's Archives
Anor Londo
Chaos Covenant Shortcut Lost Izalith
Tomb of the Giants

Speevy said:
Tried that, it picks that place as your last respawning place.

I tried to trick it by going back to Firelink shrine, then warping to the Darkmoon bonfire, but not resting there.

He still stuck me back in the default Anor Londo place.

Damn, I guess they really want you to have to trek back. Couple of ways I just thought of to get around it:

1)Rest at Darkmoon Tomb, move the bridge back up then homeward bone back and attempt the boss. Then if you die the bridge will be in the right place. Bit of a pain but preferable to those beams.

or

2) If you know you're about to die, quit. When you reload you'll be outside the boss door. Restock at bonfire and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom