• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ornstein's armor = nerfed in 1.05? I hope not, I just started using it recently. Kind of terrified about my pyromancy doing less damage!

they better not nerf it.. it's already worse than my combo of Wanderer's Hood+Dingy Robe+Steel Gauntlets+Black Leather Boots. (other than for the poise of course)

.GqueB.

Banned
You can buy Twinkling Titanite now...but you don't really need to. I'm getting 2-3 per run in the Crystal Caves.

I have about 800k souls and am looking to spend em (twinkling here I come) but for future reference, what enemies drop twinkling in the caves? You arent talking about the clams are you?

elty

I have about 800k souls and am looking to spend em (twinkling here I come) but for future reference, what enemies drop twinkling in the caves? You arent talking about the clams are you?

Those clam drops twinkling about 1 in 10 prepatch I think.

shiroryu

I also just found my first ring... Blue Tearstone Ring. Says it increases my defense when my HP is low. Is there any reason NOT to just put this on and leave it on for now?

Yeah, put it on. It does help, you take noticeably less damage with low health, but it's more of a last-gasp lifesaver than anything else. You'll get better rings later.

Just be sure to read ring descriptions before putting them on; one powerful ring breaks if you take it off, and the description will tell you that.

Sullichin

It's defenses were buffed slightly with a 1 point reduction in poise.

they better not nerf it.. it's already worse than my combo of Wanderer's Hood+Dingy Robe+Steel Gauntlets+Black Leather Boots. (other than for the poise of course)

I use it because it has good combination of defense, weight and poise. Seems to be the best all around armor I have plus it doesn't look stupid.

So.. are Titanite slabs any easier to get after the patch?

Disappointingly, I'm past Anor Londo in NG+ and I only have crappy areas (except Duke's Archives) to look forward to. It's been said before but everything up to and including Anor Londo is definitely better than what comes after. At least i'll get souls for killing skeletons and ghosts now, right?

elty

Just realized that if you don't have enough INT / FAI to wield some weapon (like Curse sword), you will swing normally UNTIL you hit someone. Then you will get a bounce back animation although it still does decent damage.

And I think the Onion armor is the best medium armor when fully upgraded, except you look hilarious. Silver Knight should be better than Ornstein at +5 as it does not have stamina regen penalty I think. With twinkling available on vendor it shouldn't be hard to upgrade them.

Sullichin

Just realized that if you don't have enough INT / FAI to wield some weapon (like Curse sword), you will swing normally UNTIL you hit someone. Then you will get a bounce back animation although it still does decent damage.

And I think the Onion armor is the best medium armor when fully upgraded, except you look hilarious. Silver Knight should be better than Ornstein at +5 as it does not have stamina regen penalty I think. With twinkling available on vendor it shouldn't be hard to upgrade them.

Didn't even realize Ornstein's had a stamina penalty. It's definitely not as noticeable as Smough's/Havels. I'll look into upgrading Silver Knight set though...

I think the Onion armor is the best medium armor when fully upgraded, except you look hilarious. Silver Knight should be better than Ornstein at +5 as it does not have stamina regen penalty I think. With twinkling available on vendor it shouldn't be hard to upgrade them.

A fellow on Reddit has done some tests and it seems the stamina regen penalty is almost non-existent, something like a few tenths of a second on a full bar as long as you're under 50% equip.

Any thoughts on the best lightweight leggings now? My guy was looking just so lovely in his embroidered skirt and now he has to lose it! I'm liking the look of channelers but i suppose upgraded crimson is better.

A fellow on Reddit has done some tests and it seems the stamina regen penalty is almost non-existent, something like a few tenths of a second on a full bar as long as you're under 50% equip.

Any thoughts on the best lightweight leggings now? My guy was looking just so lovely in his embroidered skirt and now he has to lose it! I'm liking the look of channelers but i suppose upgraded crimson is better.

I've moved to black leather upgraded to +9. After looking through the guide they seemed to be the best at a light weight, though that might have changed post patch.

.GqueB.

Banned
So Ive made a decision.

I always feel at a slight disadvantage when Im fighting as a pyro. Its all offense and no defense, I also like light armor so theres also that. So during the vacay, Im gonna start over and focus on miracles to see how the character nets out.

(note this is after 100+ hours as a pyro and I still have finished the game... yea... lots of fighting in the forest)

Anyways, is this a good idea? Does anyone have a lot of experience with miracles? Also, what should I focus on leveling up? Im guessing:

attunement
faith
strength
dex
vit and endurance

Sound about right? Just curious if this trip is worth taking.

elty

The red Crimson one probably. 44 def at +5. Xanthous is also good.

TheFatOne

Blighttown is fucking horrendous. The framerate is atrocious. How the hell did this game ship with that piece of shit area, and to top it off the bottom area is poisonous. Fuck this garbage place.

Wool

So Ive made a decision.

I always feel at a slight disadvantage when Im fighting as a pyro. Its all offense and no defense, I also like light armor so theres also that. So during the vacay, Im gonna start over and focus on miracles to see how the character nets out.

(note this is after 100+ hours as a pyro and I still have finished the game... yea... lots of fighting in the forest)

Anyways, is this a good idea? Does anyone have a lot of experience with miracles? Also, what should I focus on leveling up? Im guessing:

attunement
faith
strength
dex
vit and endurance

Sound about right? Just curious if this trip is worth taking.

I've done a couple of faith builds now, and that seems fine, but you should plan out whether to go for strength or dex. You'll preferably want to make an occult+5 weapon, so the strength or dex will almost only be used for wielding requirements.

one85x

With 0 humanity and the gold serpent ring, it seems like you can count on getting at least 2 titanite chunks per run in New Londo. I have gotten a slab already, but it's hard to call that anything other than dumb luck at the moment.

oracrest

Making more and more progress...

Defeated the Valley of the Drakes last night, freed Logan for the second time, maxed out my pyromancy flame, and obtained the old Londo ruins key. So far, Anor Londo Silver Knight runs seems to be the fastest way to collect souls that I have found. They take only 2 hits with combustion, and I rack up about 10,000 souls in just a single run.

Other than that, it looks like Tomb of Giants is the area left to focus on heavily...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm not sure I agree with buffing the drop rates and souls as much as they did. It sounds like it will make it too easy.

Sullichin

I'm not sure I agree with buffing the drop rates and souls as much as they did. It sounds like it will make it too easy.

i definitely agree with the increase in humanity drops at least. It's way too hard to get humanity imo, save for a couple of areas very late in the game.

i definitely agree with the increase in humanity drops at least. It's way too hard to get humanity imo, save for a couple of areas very late in the game.

I was scraping for Humanity up until I got the Covetous Ring, and even then I'm still cautious about popping one (except to Kindle) just because I'm so horrid at PvP.

yeah i dont get it either. some of the materials SHOULD be hard to obtain.... otherwise there's no point, just give us maxed out weapons right at the start.

I'm ok with it, just sounds like they've cut down on mindless grinding. The drop rates for some items were really stingy for a game of this type. Also consider all the people that have glitched themselves infinite materials since the release, at least this helps out people that haven't.

Other than that, it looks like Tomb of Giants is the area left to focus on heavily...

Sounds like the skeleton mages in the Catacombs now drop skull lanterns. You'll want to get one if you don't have cast light to make the beginning of ToG less annoying.

Absolutely! I was almost never human for the first 80% of the game because I was so afraid of not having any humanity. I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun.

Zzoram

Reducing grinding for upgrade materials and humanity is a really good thing. The extra souls just shift some leveling from grinding back to natural progression.

yeah i dont get it either. some of the materials SHOULD be hard to obtain.... otherwise there's no point, just give us maxed out weapons right at the start.

Having items with multiple uses, especially those that are used for Covenants, be stupidly rare drops (Eye of Death cough) was a pretty dumb decision.

Hey guys one fast question: do I keep the bosses souls on NG+ or do I have to use them before I complete the game? And anything important that I should do before finishing? Thanks!

You can keep the boss souls into NG+.

It also winds up allowing interesting scenarios like feeding Gwyn's soul to Frampt. He doesn't comment on it in game, but I like to imagine his reaction to you strolling up to him and offering him Gwyn's soul.

"Chosen undead, you-"

*NG+ Player character pulls out Gwyn's soul*

"...0_o"

Can the gravelord sword inflict toxin on anything? Like even bosses?

I think most status effects are limited to a few bosses. I know that Stray can be Bled, but I don't know on anything else. Most regular enemies die in a few swings of it normally and the toxin doesn't really matter.

yeah. 11 MB

It was 3MB for me (360, EU) I hate MS restrictions concerning patches :( I hope they are entirely the same.

Thanks for the fast answer, Zzoram :) I'm still right outside the Altar door, kinda scared to go forward so I've been revisiting places :p I'm always afraid that I will miss a ton of stuff on this and DeS, but I also don't like looking at completion guides.

I killed the Thorolund dude because
I found what I found out to be Rhea's corpse on the church, I never got to meet her after saving her :/
so I thought I would put him out of his misery... Felt bad, lol. I don't like taking out NPCs just for the hell of it, even if I saw people recommending it.

Zzoram

It was 3MB for me (360, EU) I hate MS restrictions concerning patches :( I hope they are entirely the same.

Thanks for the fast answer, Zzoram :) I'm still right outside the Altar door, kinda scared to go forward so I've been revisiting places :p I'm always afraid that I will miss a ton of stuff on this and DeS, but I also don't like looking at completion guides.

I killed the Thorolund dude because
I found what I found out to be Rhea's corpse on the church, I never got to meet her after saving her :/
so I thought I would put him out of his misery... Felt bad, lol. I don't like taking out NPCs just for the hell of it, even if I saw people recommending it.

He's a murderer. Feel no shame.

Past the altar is Kiln of the First Flame where you can farm Black Knights for Titanite Chunks.

EasyMode

I killed the Thorolund dude because...
Speaking of Petrus, what's the trigger for him
killing Rhea? I saved her and she was praying in the church. After buying her miracles I went to Anor Londo to kill Gwyndolin, and when I came back she was completely gone. No corpse or loot, and I was hoping to get the pendant.

speaking of Chunks, does anyone know if winning fights in the Forest Covenant can earn you a Red Titanite Chunk? i'm getting lots of White and Blue Titanite Chunks, but not the one Red chunk i need :( damnit. i need just one so badly! farming in the final areas of the game is not an option because i'm too low level (and im staying low level for now, for co-op).

EasyMode

speaking of Chunks, does anyone know if winning fights in the Forest Covenant can earn you a Red Titanite Chunk? i'm getting lots of White and Blue Titanite Chunks, but not the one Red chunk i need :( damnit. i need just one so badly! farming in the final areas of the game is not an option because i'm too low level (and im staying low level for now, for co-op).

Have you tried the Great Hollow? I know there's at least one red chunk on the various branches.

Sullichin

I think most status effects are limited to a few bosses. I know that Stray can be Bled, but I don't know on anything else. Most regular enemies die in a few swings of it normally and the toxin doesn't really matter.

Just wondering because someone told me they really liked this sword, but I picked it up and it doesn't seem that great. Plus it weighs a lot.

Zzoram

Blighttown is fucking horrendous. The framerate is atrocious. How the hell did this game ship with that piece of shit area, and to top it off the bottom area is poisonous. Fuck this garbage place.

Lol go back to the tutorial area and get the Rusty Iron Ring so you can run in the swamp. Area is easy/fast. I don't even mind the framerate anymore.

TommyT

Is grave lord sword toxin useful for PvP?

Kind of for the surprise of "wtf toxin!?" aspect. You would have to dedicate your strategy around it, and hope they don't have any of the moss either readily equipped or have the time to use one if not equipped.

I could see it working well if you have Lloyd's Talismans equipped so whenever they cure it you hit them with one. That, or go on the offensive when they try to cure it.

Speaking of Petrus, what's the trigger for him
killing Rhea? I saved her and she was praying in the church. After buying her miracles I went to Anor Londo to kill Gwyndolin, and when I came back she was completely gone. No corpse or loot, and I was hoping to get the pendant.

Did you buy all of her miracles? Then she turned hollow in Sen's Fortress. You can't get her pendant anymore but you can kill her and get her other stuff

Far from an expert on the gravelord sword but the way you can stunlock people and combo them to death with it in pvp with it seems more useful than the toxin effect.

scosher

You can also farm red chunks (and slabs) from the chaos demons (octopus-heads) in Lost Izalith, where Siegmeyer's quest ends up.

Also, dunno why you think you can't farm in the Kiln if you're low-level. The Black Knights are ridiculously easy and can be chain back-stabbed.

EasyMode

Did you buy all of her miracles? Then she turned hollow in Sen's Fortress. You can't get her pendant anymore but you can kill her and get her other stuff

I bought all the miracles, guess I shouldn't have. She showed up hollow in the Duke's prison, but I wanted that pendant for... whatever it does.

methane47

Hm... I WANT to tell you. But I feel I would be cheating you.

Do what you think is best. U_U

Pffff I'm just gonna kill him... I dont see a single soul talking about the Favor gear soo bump that.

Anyways... anyone have any tips for weapon upgrade paths? Right now i have a basic Drake Sword.

Should i be working towards anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom